Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sweetness and Lightning
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 20, 2016 10:10 PM

Jul 2012
Besides being super cute this show make me hungry! I thought this would only happen with Shokugeki no Souma. :)~
Jul 21, 2016 1:37 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I'm hoping we actually meet the mom in person sometime this season.

But honestly, the way she was introduced was like the start of a hentai doujin. A sailor suit, on TV, blushing, with that embarrassed smile next to two cocky guys. I couldn't help but laugh at the thought. She was really attractive though.

I'm surprised how much Tsumugi beat herself up over that situation. That one kid was a dick, but boys will be boys I suppose.

Still enjoying the hell out of this show.
Jul 21, 2016 2:54 AM

Jul 2010
I cried. I cry everytime whwn someone crying while eating same happened when sanji cooked for pirate and this episode.
Jul 21, 2016 4:51 AM

Jun 2013
I'm pretty sure that little kid has a crush on Tsumugi. It's pretty obvious from how he picks on her. And NO, I am not shipping them. I am not shipping anyone in this series, as a matter of act, I rather this be about family and recovering from loss. The only relationship I want here is the father being a good dad to his daughter and Kotori being able to have a better relationship with her own mother.

I've never had a hamburg steak that made me crave for it. I'll only eat it if I'm super hungry.
臭い-
Jul 21, 2016 5:49 AM

Feb 2016
i have couple of things to say about today's episode

First let's start with : Who the fuck feed a young child that garbage ? Are littel kids supposed to eat such high animal proten food ? So far we've only seen her eat junk food even at breakfast , is she a zombie ?

Now , people say that kid was bullying her because he likes her ( there was only one dense person here who didn't see that ) but that can't be it , cause his mother said : did you make ANOTHER girl cry AGAIN ?

My third point is , tsugmi should feel bad about herself ( yes i've said it) i mean who take their friend's clay and tell themself " it's mine , and i am not returning the clay " seriously , just because they gave it to you doesn't mean they don't want it back ! ( perhaps the absent of the mother cause such behaviour )

And finally great episode ( yes even with what i've said ) cause today's episode highlighted the fact that father can not play the mother , and the father noticed that when he saw the other kids with their mothers and when the restaurant girl told him what to do . So kinda sad for him ( fathers always look at children's troubles as not worthy like cheer up girl its okay , but in reality its not )

4/5
hisokathebutcherJul 21, 2016 6:03 AM
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Jul 21, 2016 2:57 PM

May 2015
I swear I'll die from the cuteness one day...
Jul 21, 2016 6:19 PM

Feb 2014
As an anime only watcher I'm genuinely surprise that Kotori's mother is actually real???

I though she was having a nervous breakdown and the unseen mother was all a delusion but maybe that's too dark for this story...
Jul 21, 2016 8:20 PM

Jul 2015
I came here to have a fun time. Kotori's mom walked into the camera view wearing a school uniform announcing her daughter's name to the entire world. I lost my self in laughter for a second and had to pause. Kotori's reaction. I got what I came here for. Everything after that was heartfelt, lovable, emotional, happy, and somewhat not so happy moments. And they are getting better at cooking.

Seriously, I love this anime. It's like the third best anime this season, maybe second too me. IT'S FREAKING GREAT.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jul 22, 2016 2:36 AM

Feb 2014
'And Daddy loves you'

Done. Sold.

I feel like this is going to be the my favorite show of the season and we are only 3 episodes in.
I'm so emotionally attached to all the characters in this series.
Jul 22, 2016 9:16 AM

Aug 2015
Gotta have my respect on Inuzuka sensei in this ep, comforting her daughter, trying to make some delicious meals, and I bet doing all the chores in the house, these things are the main roles of the mother and for him to mix these with work just makes me hands down respect all for the sake of love on his family. Also LMAO at him wearing that mask when chopping that onion makes him look like a killer for a sec with that Kotori's reaction but still worth it that makes Tsumugi smile even for a bit, also according to Flying Witch pro-tip it's easier to chop onions when you heat the onion in the oven first so it removes that particular enzyme that releases that smell that makes you cry, no need for hindrances like masks and shit XD.
Jul 22, 2016 1:52 PM
Mar 2016
Poor Kotori not only was she jelous that her mom looks good in asailor uniform , but was also embarrass by her shout out.

That Hamburger steak makes me wanna drool
Jul 22, 2016 1:52 PM
Mar 2016
Poor Kotori not only was she jelous that her mom looks good in asailor uniform , but was also embarrass by her shout out.

That Hamburger steak makes me wanna drool
Jul 23, 2016 8:08 AM
Jan 2015
God darn it. This show needs more watchers. It is the mid point of Souma, Barakamon and Usagi Drop!

PS: I am now writing for this anime season and here's my blog. Thank you for paying a visit.
Jul 24, 2016 10:53 AM

Jun 2015
Ah, glad we finally got to see Kotori's mom. Too bad it was only briefly and it was when she was on TV. Either way this episode was really cute and Tsumugi's reactions were exaggerated but since she's a kid it's fine. Although now I want that Hambug steak..
Jul 24, 2016 11:50 AM
Mar 2012
onions were shed...
Educational recipes, such detailed onion chopping, like to make this stewed hamburg one day.
School conflict with sulking kids & parents dynamics felt real. Inuzuka is a bit clumsy, & needed Kotori to give him a hint, but very caring, so much respect for great parents like him.
Tsumugi returning dishes & thinking about the clay, kid's growing a sense of responsibility. Kotori faces lol.
Jul 24, 2016 2:31 PM

May 2015
Another fun to watch episode.:) Good job dad. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 24, 2016 10:42 PM

Mar 2009
Nice people eating delicious food together is my favorite anime of the season.
Jul 24, 2016 11:00 PM

Jun 2014
This show is really making me realize how terrible I am at handling kids.
Jul 25, 2016 8:16 AM

Sep 2011
Seeing your mother wearing seifuku on TV, now that's some way to start your day. Tsumugi looked so weird with that "meh, whatever" face. She was being way too hard on herself, glad the dad took care of that. And he even forgot his birthday! Iida's reaction was funny in the end.
Jul 25, 2016 9:00 AM

May 2014
What a charming episode, this anime really has it's moments.
Jul 25, 2016 1:56 PM

Sep 2015
I'm so torn on this series. I think it's genuinely heart felt and well intentioned. But while it avoids the senseless overload of ecchi and fetishization that makes so many anime impossible to take seriously, it still drowns in other less obvious cliches. And it's not entirely without some fan service like the whole sailor suit mom thing let's be real.

I don't know as always the food/restaurant part was great. But I was particularly lukewarm on the main plot in this episode's first half. I'm already not the biggest fan of the daughter, the kid doing her voice does a commendable job but her design and writing frequently teeters into overly precious territory. And I'm sorry guys but I do not give a damn about preschool drama especially when it's as under cooked as this.

They're not all winners, I still think this one of the more harmless and watchable anime of the season. Here's hoping next week is a little better.
Jul 25, 2016 11:15 PM

May 2010
Very slow....but so sweet.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 26, 2016 12:40 PM

Feb 2015
After watching this episode, i came up with a thought that human actually is a strage creature from the very beginning.

put that aside, overall, realxing and enjoyable episode as always and.....they made this episode looked more emotional than before....although episode 1 almost made me cry.

next new character ? when ?
looking foward for the next episode.
Jul 26, 2016 6:29 PM

Jul 2009
LOL Kotori trying to give sensei the egg mixture was funny.
Jul 28, 2016 12:15 PM
Nov 2015
Hit me right in the feels!
Jul 29, 2016 1:57 PM
Apr 2014
Was I the only one that was annoyed that nobody told Tsumugi that she didn't have to give the clay back (I mean those kids did give it away because they wanted to help her) but that it is obviously a nice gesture to give something back as thanks? Like... Her father was trying so hard to say she didn't do anything wrong but he didn't explain why she didn't do anything wrong >.<

Well. Nice episode anyway. Kotoris reactions this time were funny :D Especially when she saw her mom on TV and the moment she found out about his birthday!
Jul 30, 2016 4:46 AM

Jul 2009
I think that the boy wants to get friends with Tsumugi, but since she was so busy with clay he said she stole it.
Jul 31, 2016 10:17 AM

Sep 2015
Does any one else cringe when the dad uses a knife? He is always cutting towards his hand makes me think he is going to cut himself. Good episode I liked how Kotori schooled the dad on listening to Tsumugi.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Aug 1, 2016 6:18 PM

Oct 2008
Tsumugi's a bit stubborn because of that little fight, which causes trouble for his father.
Kotori's mom on TV wears a sailor fuku! LOLZ! Kotori was embarrassed by her own mom!
Tsumugi was totally down even at the kitchen of Kotori's family.
LOL at Tsumugi trying to hide her laughing reaction on the dad wearing the goggles!
LOL Kotori didn't even knew it's sensei's birthday what is why Tsumugi was eager to play that clay!
5/5. - this show is such a treasure show!
matias067Aug 1, 2016 6:24 PM

Aug 2, 2016 5:53 AM

Nov 2015
Tsumugi got misunderstood by that kid. I felt happy when she ate the Hamburger she's so adorable!!!

Aug 13, 2016 6:07 AM

Apr 2015
The egg on top really finished it off. Getting hungry...

Anyway cute interactions between the characters again, I'm loving it!
Aug 13, 2016 8:05 AM

Oct 2010
Highlight of this episode was Kotori's reaction watching her mom on television xD
Aug 14, 2016 12:14 AM

Sep 2010
I made this episode's recipe today, since it actually listed quantities for most of the ingredients. (Although I skipped the fried egg since I was lazy, and used all beef instead of half pork half beef.) It's really good. ^^ Seems to taste much better than when I fry the burgers completely and serve it with salad, egg or sauce, on rice or bread. The next episode's recipe also looks good. ^^

I'm surprised Kouhei managed to figure out how to chop the onion that well from only the diagram.
Aug 15, 2016 11:35 PM

Oct 2012
Serafuku mom xD

I like how that boy's mom actually scolding her son
Instead of blaming the teacher or other parents
10/10 for teaching people how to be good parents! xD
I mean I've seen many bad parents these days, blaming other people except their child and them.. Mostly

A dad tried his best
This is really a heartwarming episode
"Signature removed"
Aug 16, 2016 1:39 AM
Jul 2018
This is kinda funny.
Aug 17, 2016 10:14 AM

Feb 2011
Well that was nice.. them trying to cheer her up.. and just watching them enjoying delicious food *_* *me wants*
Aug 20, 2016 5:48 AM
Oct 2015
Takata said:
I made this episode's recipe today, since it actually listed quantities for most of the ingredients. (Although I skipped the fried egg since I was lazy, and used all beef instead of half pork half beef.) It's really good. ^^ Seems to taste much better than when I fry the burgers completely and serve it with salad, egg or sauce, on rice or bread. The next episode's recipe also looks good. ^^
I think the pork was used just to cut the production cost. Pork is cheaper than beef because pigs breed faster than cows.
Aug 23, 2016 11:35 PM

Jun 2016
I might have leaked some tears. Should get me some eyegear, I bet it was those damn onions..

Seriously though, the characters feel so wonderfully real that I cannot help but love all of them. Yes, even the bratty kid that called Tsumugi a thief. Tsumugi's angry fit was amazingly realistic. Also, the fact that she felt lingering guilt for such a small thing like not returning the clay shows just how kind and thoughtful she is.

5/5, loving the series so far. It's like Barakamon, Usagi Drop and the last part of Clannad: AS all balled into one tasty hamburger steak.
Sep 10, 2016 4:32 AM

Nov 2011
Pretty focused on Inuzuka and Tsumugi the episode. The narrative, has also given space to Kotori, who in his small, has managed to bring a smile. Drawing a little down, I'm a little sad, more space look for the character of Kotori, while appreciating the time dedicated to the character of Tsumugi. However, certain situations, they have warmed the heart. <3

L-Ryoshi said:

As usual, I'll just leave this here.

Good GIF and good pics, good job guys ! ;)
Sep 22, 2016 1:42 PM

May 2012
Pretty lovely episode, quite a bit of sadness yet it was so damn lovely!
Sep 22, 2016 9:03 PM

Jan 2016
m0st boring shit evr. into the recycle bin
Nov 15, 2016 6:55 AM

Mar 2015
I never knew this show is going to the cooking direction, not that I complain.

ED Song: 4.3/5

2.4/5
Jan 1, 2017 10:33 PM

Mar 2015
This show keeps getting better! It's been a good SOL so far!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 28, 2017 2:50 PM

Feb 2013
I didn't like seeing Tsumugi sad.
Sep 9, 2017 11:19 PM

Jun 2016
Jesus. I cried when Tsumugi cried. Noooo my heart. Poor baby. Goddamnit I wanna hug her so bad and tell her that she's not a bad person. Goddamnit I hate kids but fuck if kids are like her, I'll definitely love them all. Ugh. My heart, maaan!

Another successful cooking session with Tsumugi's dad and Kotori-chan. And it's his birthday holy shit. Hahaha.

I want to taste that hamburger steak. ;-; I'm craving now.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Dec 2, 2017 2:35 AM

Sep 2012
Hibernape said:
This show is really making me realize how terrible I am at handling kids.

well its good when ppl realize their flaws then they can fix them :)

xull said:
Tsumugi got misunderstood by that kid. I felt happy when she ate the Hamburger she's so adorable!!!

kid didn't misunderstand her that boy just was jealous how all give their clay to her so he called her thief so it wasn't a misunderstand but some1 being mean out of jealousy

NotFuuko said:
Highlight of this episode was Kotori's reaction watching her mom on television xD

what really made it embarrassing to her was her calling her out on live TV i mean saying her name on TV while wearing that lol
Sugram22Dec 2, 2017 2:41 AM
Sep 13, 2018 8:53 PM

Mar 2013
I watched this series when it first came out until episode four, now I've started it all over again and it's the same warm bittersweet feeling... Ahh, Tsumugi really makes me emotional. She's all smiles and adorable but having lost her mother to such young age, makes me wonder if that's the reason she's so sensitive.

Makes me really happy to see the teacher and Tsumugi share dinner with Kotori. She would make a great wife to him... once she's a proper adult of course.
Feb 4, 2019 3:03 PM

Nov 2016
Wonder if we will ever see Kotoris mother in person xD

Children cry that's ok, but the fact that is was on her fathers birthday was kinda sad. But all's well that ends well.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 16, 2019 7:54 AM
May 2019
FMmatron said:
Wonder if we will ever see Kotoris mother in person xD

Children cry that's ok, but the fact that is was on her fathers birthday was kinda sad. But all's well that ends well.
We do in the manga...but that's for this discussion.

I will give this a 5/5 also. Very well done. A nice bit of kid drama to show just how such a strong-willed child Tsumugi is. Reminds me a bit of me at that age (minus the temper tantrums). ;)
Which one do you want? An Addiction or A Good Life?
A) Addiction - a progressive narrowing of the things that bring you pleasure.
B) A Good Life - a progressive expansion of the things that bring you pleasure and includes pleasure through motivation and hard work.
Mar 6, 2020 2:28 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
ohhhh kindergarten, what a great time
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2016

90 by Raizel »»
Mar 5, 11:59 AM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2016

117 by Raizel »»
Feb 23, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2016

151 by Raizel »»
Feb 15, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2016

310 by Raizel »»
Feb 15, 2:37 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2016

151 by Animeshnik012 »»
Jan 5, 6:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.