Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 17, 2016 10:27 AM

Jul 2012
Devil_Slayer said:
Fappa said:

Well
So it's nothing big at all, simply a different interpretation that holds the same purpose

how can you hold a spoon in a threatening manner ? lol

Now we will never know.
Jul 17, 2016 10:32 AM
Jun 2016
SixPistols said:
Devil_Slayer said:

Now we will never know.

It's just a spoon dude, chill out. It's not like it's something influential on the series. The murderous gaze was enough.
Jul 17, 2016 10:32 AM
Jul 2015
Devil_Slayer said:
Fappa said:

Well
So it's nothing big at all, simply a different interpretation that holds the same purpose

It describes his psychological condition. Just look at the Re:Zero wiki. It's not a BLUNDER

Jul 17, 2016 10:33 AM

Apr 2015
Devil_Slayer said:

Well...Like that
Jul 17, 2016 10:33 AM

Mar 2010
SixPistols said:
Devil_Slayer said:

Now we will never know.

That scene barely even matters so who cares? As @Fappa said the point of that scene is the same just portrayed differently.
Jul 17, 2016 10:34 AM

Jul 2012
Bananaoranges said:
SixPistols said:

Now we will never know.

It's just a spoon dude, chill out. It's not like it's something influential on the series. The murderous gaze was enough.

NO, I WILL NOT CHILL OUT.

I waited years for this since I started reading Re:Zero and now my hopes and dreams are crushed. My life is over.
Jul 17, 2016 10:38 AM

May 2016
I mean they removed the self cutting part in Arc 2 as well... I mean it was just too extreme.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jul 17, 2016 10:41 AM

Jul 2014
SixPistols said:
Bananaoranges said:

I waited years for this since I started reading Re:Zero and now my hopes and dreams are crushed. My life is over.

Lol chill dude it's not even worth it
Jul 17, 2016 10:42 AM

Jul 2012
Devil_Slayer said:
SixPistols said:

No bro this anime is serious business. If they cut anything important I cry about it for days.
Jul 17, 2016 10:47 AM

Aug 2013
Jesus Christ, someone here is about to become Betelgeuse because of a F**king Spoon.
Jul 17, 2016 10:48 AM

May 2016
Guranto-kun said:
Jesus Christ, someone here is about to become Betelgeuse because of a F**king Spoon.

to be fair, it would have been one hell of a meme worthy scene lol.
Glock Perfection is an oxymoron.

"A 9mm only kills your body. The 45, that kills your soul." CN 2013
Jul 17, 2016 10:52 AM

Jun 2014
Someone is really making a big deal over a spoon? Ok......

Lol this entire episode was basically "lets see who can fuck with Subaru the most." It was kind of entertaining, even though Subaru kept getting fucked over. Hopefully he learned something from these exchanges. And I'm guessing that weird shit going on at the end was the White Whale that Rem briefly mentioned a couple episodes ago, because she did mention that it can create fog. Also, we finally got to see the ED visuals.
thebrentinator24Jul 17, 2016 11:53 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 17, 2016 11:01 AM

Jul 2015
SixPistols said:
Devil_Slayer said:

No bro this anime is serious business. If they cut anything important I cry about it for days.

Did you cry about Al's scene as well?
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Jul 17, 2016 11:02 AM

Jan 2015
Solid setup episode, really laid down the areas that Subaru is failing. No way that cliffhanger ends well for Subaru and co.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jul 17, 2016 11:04 AM

Jul 2012
Sometimes791 said:
SixPistols said:

Did you cry about Al's scene as well?

Not as much but yeah I was a bit saddened.
Jul 17, 2016 11:04 AM

Dec 2014
Spoon, what? Who the hell cares.

Anyway, glad to see Subaru try to get help. Though his methods were pretty understandably stupid, he's slowly learning.

I wonder what that whale's going to do.
I need sleep.
Jul 17, 2016 11:12 AM

Mar 2016
it wouldn't be re:zero if we were left without a cliffhanger
Jul 17, 2016 11:13 AM

Aug 2015
The spoon scene shouldn't be a big deal, come on now.

The negotiations with the other candidates failed and Reinhard is gone as well. And now the whale shows up, next episode should be epic. Can't wait.
Jul 17, 2016 11:13 AM

Jul 2014
No OP (again) and finally the new ED :-)

So in order to get help from other candidates Subaru will have to use his RBD to learn what other candidates desire and use it to make a bargain with them.
Jul 17, 2016 11:14 AM

Jun 2015
>getting baited this hard

Nice thread.

Alright, good episode. Shame that people will probably hate on it and the score will drop because no one died brutally and "LEL SUFFRU SO DUM" but it's great in the context of this entire world. Subaru is a useless fool worked up with rage in a massive city in the middle of a major event, and he's asking for politicians to help a rival for literally no benefit. He can't help himself, really, but it's still pretty satisfying to see him get kicked around for his fuck-ups. But hopefully, he'll learn from his mistakes and reverse the odds.
Jul 17, 2016 11:16 AM

Mar 2015
I can't believe someone made a fuss about the spoon scene, but I don't see much people fussing around much about the missing Rem scenes! There is no justice in this world! Gah!

Anyway... that Hakugei though... too cool. Priscilla is also awesomely portrayed in this episode.

I totally love how this episode ends with Otto saying he don't know the man Subaru is talking about, since that's totally explaining of what's coming. Also explaining the hint of why "one would not survive in the White Whale's mist"

Next episode is gonna be suffering...

Jul 17, 2016 11:18 AM
Jun 2016
Man time flew by in this episode. The show keeps drawing me, like Subaru's psychological health, in to deeper and darker depths of the abyss. Excited for next week. As usual.
Anyone know of any fan subs of the LN? I can't seem to find any due to licensing.
Jul 17, 2016 11:19 AM
Jul 2015
MozillaFennekin said:

Nice thread.

Alright, good episode. Shame that people will probably hate on it and the score will drop because no one died brutally and "LEL SUFFRU SO DUM" but it's great in the context of this entire world. Subaru is a useless fool worked up with rage in a massive city in the middle of a major event, and he's asking for politicians to help a rival for literally no benefit. He can't help himself, really, but it's still pretty satisfying to see him get kicked around for his fuck-ups. But hopefully, he'll learn from his mistakes and reverse the odds.

His mind wasn't stable and he was clouded by rage. If you were him, what would you do?

Jul 17, 2016 11:22 AM

Jun 2015
zombieiscoming said:
MozillaFennekin said:

Nice thread.

His mind wasn't stable and he was clouded by rage. If you were him, what would you do?

That was my point.
Jul 17, 2016 11:24 AM

Aug 2009
welp I failed Priscilla's test. I such an pig
[right]

Jul 17, 2016 11:26 AM
Jun 2016
I made a pretty long, detailed analysis of his psychological health a few weeks back. Ever since, it has been apparent: some people are having a very hard time understanding this shows themes - namely, psychological deterioration is correlated to irrational behavior. I just skip over people complaining that he is acting dumb - since the show has put this TEENAGER through some brutal stuff. He just can't cope. It is obvious. And it seems like at this point, you either see it or you are probably not yet at a point to be able to analyze the deeper meanings in various literature/stories
Jul 17, 2016 11:29 AM

Nov 2014
Anastasia is cute but terrifying.
Hi there
Jul 17, 2016 11:29 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A poster wrote in another forum that "...the main problem I have with this show is that it demands we wait an absolute age for any semblance of a payoff. Needs more carrot and less stick." I agree to an extent. It's an excellent show but at the moment I feel like this is an exercise in contained masochism. How much longer can Subaru go with all this madness, monstruosity and butchery, and to top it off have all these incredibly nasty, condescending and smug people rejecting using and/or abusing him?
I feel I need a drink after every episode.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 17, 2016 11:31 AM
Jul 2015
MetaphyskalHuntR said:
I made a pretty long, detailed analysis of his psychological health a few weeks back. Ever since, it has been apparent: some people are having a very hard time understanding this shows themes - namely, psychological deterioration is correlated to irrational behavior. I just skip over people complaining that he is acting dumb - since the show has put this TEENAGER through some brutal stuff. He just can't cope. It is obvious. And it seems like at this point, you either see it or you are probably not yet at a point to be able to analyze the deeper meanings in various literature/stories

Exactly!
Beside, when he was desperate and even discarded his pride to ask for help. Some people will blame him because he didn't realize her test LOL
And if he refuses to lick her feet, they will blame him for other reasons
DirtyOldGuyJul 17, 2016 11:36 AM

Jul 17, 2016 11:37 AM
Jul 2016
Awesome episode, worth waiting all week for it, Awesome work white fox! ^_^
Jul 17, 2016 11:37 AM

Sep 2015
Devil_Slayer said:
Fappa said:

They didn't skip it but interpreted it differently. Instead of grabbing a spoon in a threatening matter he walked up on her with a murderous face expression.

can you tell me what was the original scene in the LN ?

[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jul 17, 2016 11:40 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Holy fuck, Subaru is really desperate now, the faces he makes are pure horror. At this point, you really have to feel for him as the candidates really have no clue.

The white whale is here! (and yes, thats not a spoiler if you guys pay attention ffs)

Jan 2015
Subaru's act pretty reckless in this episode, not that he never done it like that before. But to put Emilia's camp at stake?!
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online

Mar 2010
zombieiscoming said:
MetaphyskalHuntR said:

Exactly!
Beside, when he was desperate and even discarded his pride to ask for help. Some people will blame him because he didn't realize her test LOL

Well it is MAL so...
Jul 17, 2016 11:43 AM

Jun 2015
Jagd84 said:
zombieiscoming said:

Exactly!

Well it is MAL so...

Yea, dont bother with what people opinions are especially MAL, you'll just find cancer. People cant appreciate a good anime simple as that
Jul 17, 2016 11:43 AM

Apr 2016
Subaru getting trolled again and again x') it's beautiful.
Jul 17, 2016 11:45 AM

Jan 2015
DarklordVor said:
I can't believe someone made a fuss about the spoon scene, but I don't see much people fussing around much about the missing Rem scenes! There is no justice in this world! Gah!

Anyway... that Hakugei though... too cool. Priscilla is also awesomely portrayed in this episode.

I totally love how this episode ends with Otto saying he don't know the man Subaru is talking about, since that's totally explaining of what's coming. Also explaining the hint of why "one would not survive in the White Whale's mist"

Next episode is gonna be suffering...

What? I thought you were on record that next week would be one of your top 5 fav episodes? I could be mistaken tho...
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jul 17, 2016 11:48 AM

Sep 2015
Well, that was a solid ep. Good to see Priscilla again! I barely even remember what the OP and ED sounds like since they almost never play them lol. But that's good, they don't want to waste time!

I have an Emilia poster I got at the bookstore yesterday right over my computer, it looks pretty nice.
Jul 17, 2016 11:48 AM
Jul 2015
Wonderland-aries said:
Jagd84 said:

Well it is MAL so...

Yea, dont bother with what people opinions are especially MAL, you'll just find cancer. People cant appreciate a good anime simple as that

I will give up..................... :D

Jul 17, 2016 11:50 AM
Jun 2016
Spot on. I think a key here is creating tension with a unique power like his - this revive after death. And since one of the crucial elements to storytelling is the building, escalating, and finally breaking of the tension/conflict - one of the only ways to have the viewer feel the tension, while knowing (to a degree) that death is not permanent In this world, is from a psychological aspect.

Maybe I can understand if it was still the earlier portion of the series. It seemed new viewers (myself included)could reasonably have trouble finding this shows identity. You could make the case that this show was going down a slice of life road, the "stuck Ina game world, a harem, and all kinds of various other options.
However, now it is - and has been for quite a while now - clearly a psychological show. To watch it from any other POV while ignoring this is totally missing the point. And to miss such an obvious point for so long - well, they probably wouldn't agree with me anyway. No point debating at this point.
Jul 17, 2016 11:50 AM

Jul 2007
Welp. Congrats ReZero you ruined me Gojira's Flying Whales now.

The problem with this show is that the author touts this as the supposed "deconstruction" of LNs, but there's not really any deconstruction going on. The author is just a creepy and sick sadist who enjoys making his character go through hell, but the story still has the same tropes that all LNs have and same otaku pandering, just with a whole lot more tasteless and gross edgy gore.

This is no longer the show I signed up for.

I started ReZero because it had a likeable, SMART, and realistic protagonist being transported into interesting lore full of political manipulations, mysteries and great lore. I started ReZero because it showed such an MC working it through the problems via brain less than brawn and we saw him figure out things and solve things without pointless asspulling. I started it and loved it because the show could build tension without cheap gores and create stakes without gross edgy Jigsaw level of perversion. It was an interesting world full of mystery that Subaru was transported to and I could not wait to see him figure out what the hell is going on, as well as to see the whole political play in royal candidacy.

None of that is here now.

Somewhere along the way, the author seems to have forgotten what coherence is or what kind of story it is and just delved headfirst into sadistic torture being thrown into the characters. Because, since the MC can rewind time, you can surprise your viewers with gory and triggering shit, because you can hadnwave it seconds away. So everything can be shocking cliffhanger! Because none of that will end up mattering. So now you can have gross and disgusting ways for MC to die and the edgier audience will eat that up shouting the usual phrases of DECONSTRUCTION, SUBVERSION, blah blah, and other words that Madoka for some reason popularized.

But the show is not really doing a deconstruction. Nor is it delivering on the original premise I fell in love with.

It feels like author abandoned any semblance of interesting and mature story or sake of cheap thrills and shocking gory deaths, so it can sell and the viewers can be pandered to and kept with the show via countless cliffhangers and dark events.

But it is not a deconstruction.

It does not deconstruct. It does not change anything, except making Subaru an unlikeable jerk at times and changing the levels of IQ for various characters so the author can deliver "TEH MAXIMUM SUFFERING(tm)". Like in this episode where the author literally makes all the candidates be literally dumb hitler just so he can put Emilia on a pedestal. Oh and lets make Subaru dumb and unable to convince people suddenly because we need teh suffering guyse. How is this the same dude who negotiated with the apple seller in EP1 is beyond me.

This show abandoned all the interesting lore, all the interesting mystery and all the elements that made Subaru likeable and realistic, thus turning him into an anti-stu. The show abandoned all of that for sake of becoming an embodiment of the "SUFFERING!" Meme. While still keeping cringy ln tropes in it.

So I am out. The show has warped into a weird sadistic thing created by a sick an twisted author who just wants suffering and edge instead of coherence and good storytelling. Its as if you start watching something like Lord of the Rings and then suddenly it morphs into cheap horror stuff like Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Saw. And then lets morph it into some horror movie with giant sea monsters.

Yet MC still will end up following same path via same waifu filled LN tropes, except he will win via SUFFERING(tm) instead of fighting.

I might pick up show again when it is finished and I can just skip all the episodes and scenes that make my stomach turn and cause me panic attacks.Barely anything of importance is happening. In fact all we had for last 4 or so episodes was Subaru's SUFFERING(Tm) and him being an idiot. No plot progression, no lore, no politics, none that I liked about the show. This is Arc2 all over again in that it drags for dozen episodes, except ARc2 had likeable Subaru and interesting lore and mystery. But right now I think I am content with just watching Alderamin on The Sky this season - at least that seems to be an actual adaptation of Ln that IS interested in doing things differently from other LNs and delivering things that ReZero forgot for sake of cheap gore.

Its sad to see the show drop the ball so hard after brilliant well directed 11 episodes. It is still VERY well directed and I am sure it evokes all the things the author wanted it to. It is sure as hell not the worst thing in this season, but it is no longer the show I fell in love with and the writing is nowhere near as good as first 11 episodes and I can't handle the gross shit this show now throws at the viewer for sake of cheap shocks.

Dropped.

2/5
AhenshihaelJul 17, 2016 11:56 AM
Jul 17, 2016 11:51 AM

Feb 2010
MetaphyskalHuntR said:

This, so much. I'm starting to generally avoid forums because people have a really bad understanding and act as though everything they would do would be right if they were in any other character's situation. But as they say, ignorance is bliss.
Jul 17, 2016 11:51 AM

Aug 2012
Ah, nice run through the candidates to destroy any of my hopes that Subaru had a plan to somehow coerce/use them(at least not yet) Though it really would have been too soon considering his mental state. Those scenes were great for showing him him what he needs to learn and how he needs to teach himself to think. I feel like reading those scenes would have even more impact and help people realize Subaru isn't just 'acting dumb and irrational', but the show does as well as it probably can in doing it.

Of course the narrative makes it look that way when you have all three candidates trashing his character one after another, but it reminds of Emilia-from other's perspectives he is acting irrational, but they don't have a shred of a clue of what he's gone through so their reactions to him are natural and how they should react.

Which makes things so interesting because he's being graded on a scale of someone that is experiencing things for the first time and should act more cool-headed and articulate, when he's far from being able to do that. And it's going to be cool as fuck when he finally teaches himself to think this way despite everything he knows how his experiences have conditioned him. That's when he truly becomes dangerous, it'll be like he's thinking with two brains.
Jul 17, 2016 11:52 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Fai said:

The problem with this show is that the author touts this as the supposed "deconstruction" of LNs, but there's not really any deconstruction going on. The author is just a creepy and sick sadist who enjoys making his character go through hell, but the story still has the same tropes that all LNs have and same otaku pandering, just with a whole lot more tasteless and gross edgy gore.

I started ReZero because it had a likeable, SMART, and realistic protagonist being transported into interesting lore full of political manipulations, mysteries and great lore. I started ReZero because it showed such an MC working it through the problems via brain less than brawn and we saw him figure out things and solve things without pointless asspulling. I started it and loved it because the show could build tension without cheap gores and create stakes without gross edgy Jigsaw level of perversion. It was an interesting world full of mystery that Subaru was transported to and I could not wait to see him figure out what the hell is going on, as well as to see the whole political play in royal candidacy.

Somewhere along the way, the author seems to have forgotten what coherence is or what kind of story it is and just delved headfirst into sadistic torture being thrown into the characters. Because, since the MC can rewind time, you can surprise your viewers with gory and triggering shit, because you can hadnwave it seconds away. So everything can be shocking cliffhanger! Because none of that will end up mattering. So now you can have gross and disgusting ways for MC to die and the edgier audience will eat that up shouting the usual phrases of DECONSTRUCTION, SUBVERSION, blah blah, and other words that Madoka for some reason popularized.

But the show is not really doing a deconstruction. Nor is it delivering on the original premise I fell in love with.

It feels like author abandoned any semblance of interesting and mature story or sake of cheap thrills and shocking gory deaths, so it can sell and the viewers can be pandered to and kept with the show via countless cliffhangers and dark events.

It does not deconstruct. It does not change anything, except making Subaru an unlikeable jerk at times and changing the levels of IQ for various characters so the author can deliver "TEH MAXIMUM SUFFERING(tm)".

This show abandoned all the interesting lore, all the interesting mystery and all the elements that made Subaru likeable and realistic, thus turning him into an anti-stu. The show abandoned all of that for sake of becoming an embodiment of the "SUFFERING!" Meme. While still keeping cringy ln tropes in it.

So I am out. The show has warped into a weird sadistic thing created by a sick an twisted author who just wants suffering and edge instead of coherence and good storytelling. Its as if you start watching something like Lord of the Rings and then suddenly it morphs into cheap horror stuff like Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Saw.

Yet MC still will end up following same path via same waifu filled LN tropes, except he will win via SUFFERING(tm) instead of fighting.

I might pick up show again when it is finished and I can just skip all the episodes and scenes that make my stomach turn and cause me panic attacks. But right now I think I am content with just watching Alderamin on The Sky that season - at least that seems to be an actual adaptation of Ln that IS interested in doing things differently from other LNs and delivering things that ReZero forgot for sake of cheap gore.

Its sad to see the show drop the ball so hard after brilliant well directed 11 episodes. It is still VERY well directed and I am sure it evokes all the things the author wanted it to. It is sure as hell not the worst thing in this season, but it is no longer the show I fell in love with and the writing is nowhere near as good as first 11 episodes and I can't handle the gross shit this show now throws at the viewer for sake of cheap shocks.

Dropped.

2/5

Finally. You won't be missed.
Jul 17, 2016 11:54 AM

Dec 2015
Where'd the guy in the bandana go?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2016 11:54 AM

Sep 2014
Damn he got destroyed in negotiations. Not as good as last episode though.
Jul 17, 2016 11:56 AM

Sep 2015
Interesting to see Iron Fang there were a lot of them lol. Subaru also learned some lessons tips in Negotiating. Seeing all the characters and the way they act was interesting as well. Next episode will be interesting
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jun 2016
Smudy said:
Fai said:

It does not deconstruct. It does not change anything, except making Subaru an unlikeable jerk at times and changing the levels of IQ for various characters so the author can deliver "TEH MAXIMUM SUFFERING(tm)".

So I am out. The show has warped into a weird sadistic thing created by a sick an twisted author who just wants suffering and edge instead of coherence and good storytelling. Its as if you start watching something like Lord of the Rings and then suddenly it morphs into cheap horror stuff like Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Saw.

I might pick up show again when it is finished and I can just skip all the episodes and scenes that make my stomach turn and cause me panic attacks. But right now I think I am content with just watching Alderamin on The Sky that season - at least that seems to be an actual adaptation of Ln that IS interested in doing things differently from other LNs and delivering things that ReZero forgot for sake of cheap gore.

Dropped.

2/5

It'll be sad to see him go. /s

Jun 2015
Aceeeee said:
Where'd the guy in the bandana go?

Will be explained next episode :P

But if you really want to know

Wonderland-ariesJul 17, 2016 11:59 AM

Oct 2014
Smudy said:
Fai said:

Dropped.

2/5

So much butthurt, he himself doesn't realize how the show is deconstructing Light novel stereotypes.
Pages (24) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2016

631 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

715 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 18, 1:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.