Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 21, 2016 12:23 AM

Apr 2011
Aquors have finally taken their first step. The performance was great.
Jul 21, 2016 5:53 PM

Oct 2012
Well, have to say that slice-of-life in this series is still way too random and full of needless comedy (the dog wtf?).

What's more - the first two thirds of this ep were really so-so and Mari would certainly win the prize for the most annoying and pushy character that came out of nowhere with her school idol agenda.

But, those last 5 minutes made it for me, although only after the lights went off - their performance before really lacked some freshness and felt like repetion of μ's third episode in a way. Thankfully, The dancing animation afterwards (albeit very short) was superb, it seems they improved their CG so much that it was almost indistinguishable from normal animation. But what's more, finally there were at least some feelz towards the end. Although they are still way too far from μ's Start:Dash level in terms of greatness.

And it seems they just pronounce it Aqua, wihich is weird but in fact well better than trying to spell Aqours. Wonder who wrote that name on the beach though.

Ratchetdude231 said:
While I can see were your coming from ultimately this is the kinda show you watch for the characters and I feel like the characters are different enough that I can excuse the incredibly similar story. A lot of the differences in the story are also in the details to be honest. Ellie was never an idols fan like Dia is. The differences between Muse's first live concert and Aquors are there as well. Not saying the differences are jarring but they are there for sure.

Don't think they are as different as much as you would like them to be..
Well, Chika is literally the same type as Honoka, Mari is basically Nozomi, Riko is Maki, Nico was split into Dia and Yoshiko, Kanaan is Eri and even the rest of the girls shares some similiarities. I think that if they wanted they could do better but maybe it wasn't worth the risk for them. The only two different girls are maybe Hanamaru and Rubby but sadly I can't see an appeal of either of them.
Mich666Jul 21, 2016 6:13 PM
Jul 22, 2016 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Imbalanced said:
dariken said:
This episode felt very familiar....

Guess what ? This Love Live! Sunshine! gonna be full of original content...

At least meme density is elite level.
Jul 24, 2016 10:32 AM
Dec 2011
So Aqours signature phrase is "Sunshine!". I still like µ's "Music Start!" phrase better.
Jul 25, 2016 6:45 AM

Jan 2014
I love how they made this segment different to what happened to Muse. The idol outfits were so pretty and you could see how much the CGI had improved.
Jul 25, 2016 10:18 AM

Jun 2014
Mari's accent annoyed me, but otherwise this was a very good episode. Can't wait to see how the next episode goes!
♥ρєα¢нмσσηвυηηу♥
Jul 27, 2016 10:11 PM

Dec 2015
Mari is second best girl now after Riko, her design and voice are so lovable!
But Riko is still the best, damn, I think I am in love, she is just so beautiful, these red hair, I don't think I have ever before seen an anime girl with this shade of deep red hair, and with these eyes and all they look so good. Her personality is nice too.

That plot twist at the end lol, the explanation sounded so unlikely but well it was about the point and I liked it
"Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
--As long as you remember her,
you are not alone."

- PMMM
Jul 29, 2016 10:05 AM
Sep 2009
Man... every time I find something to like about Sunshine it ends up ruining it by copy pasting original and making it even more cliche and over the board.

When will I finally get proper original content?! Yohane does not just have double personality like Nico, she even wears same outfit! For fucks sake...

I could really keep going but I won't...
Aug 7, 2016 6:26 PM

Jun 2015
Mari has such a unique accent and I have no idea what to think about it. That first line, her voice literally goes from a highpitched "yes" to a low "feel free to" and then a very American "Mari" like what the hell I can't tell if she's suppose to be European or American or just half Japanese? But Mari looking/groping her boobs reminds me of Nozomi a bit, and she's a third year. But the way she said "It was a joke" turned into the most hilarious "It's joke!" I've heard. Her voice is way more "unique" and high pitched in the anime than it is in the JP Love Live game.

But this episode also reminded me once again of the original Love Live, trying to get more people to a concert and getting so little but they still tried, and both the student council presidents both out there secretly listening. But damn did they get a huge crowd, did Chika's sister like round up the whole town like that has to be more than 200 people. I kind of also hate Dia for trying to bring down Aqours like that but I'm sure she has her reasons, and plus Eri kind of tried that and I really like her so meh.

I first hated Aqours but now watching the anime, man they're too cute to hate.
Aug 7, 2016 11:19 PM

Nov 2015
That live show was good! I didn't really expect someone to come.

Aug 24, 2016 8:38 AM

Mar 2014
Mari is literally Nozomi 2.0

Except that Nozomi isn't annoying and this girl is
This episode felt very familiar....

"It's totally not a copy + paste bro, the lights in the gym hall were different"
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 28, 2016 2:45 AM

Jul 2009
One small thing that annoyed me was that the entire crowd was female, even though they were handing out flyers in a busy area. Other than that the episode was nice.
Mar 16, 2017 12:18 PM

Mar 2016
Sorry Aquors, but Muse had a better impact when it came to the debut. I liked Start:Dash more than this song also, but it's still good though.
May 16, 2017 9:08 AM

Jul 2009
Muse's debut was more heartfelt though this one is alright. The "It's joke" meme is hilarious but not good enough to make me adore Mari. I hope she becomes more likable later on.

Good episode nonetheless.
Jun 7, 2017 5:40 PM
Jul 2016
That blond girl sounds like she´s American from her she pronunciation, like her name "Maeri" x} Instantly reminds me of Lt. Aldo Raine´s attempt at speaking Italian... "Arrivedeertchi", "Gorlaami" xD Also what bitchy deal she pulled there. Not a good start by her.

This episode got from hope to dispair to hope again by the end of it. How great that all showed up. They got a better start than μ's did, should be a good omen. But could throw you into a false sense of security too. We´ll have see. Also hell with it, Ruby is my second girl at the moment, her adorable shyness is too much for my facade xP
HilariumosisJun 7, 2017 5:48 PM
Aug 8, 2017 8:57 AM

Sep 2009
The first two episodes showed me that Sunshine was differentiating itself from the original series. Unfortunately, this inferior version of the previous episode 3 makes it impossible not to compare it to the original.

The original series led me to believe that people would show up to their performance, but no one did. That was a legitimate shock; a "fuck you" to the audience and Honoka's expectations, and it mostly stayed that way. The music that plays before they perform drives it home. They had a ways to go before people started actually caring about them, and Honoka's push to keep singing was inspirational. In Sunshine, it would have been greatly appreciated if they performed while there were only a few people, but instead we have bad bait. The concert ending at the blackout and Chika realizing that people didn't come because of her failure would have been better. Everyone coming at once to save the day was too convenient. Chika's sister said that the town was warm, but then why didn't they appear at the start of the concert? They appeared later for the sake of drama. The song itself had its momentum killed too, and it wasn't as good as START:DASH!!

Now, looking at the scene on the beach: "We don't even know who wrote it." Really? That was also way too convenient. It could have been written by Kanan or Mari, but why didn't they see anyone? Nozomi suggesting the name through a submission is much more natural and believable.

This episode also lacked the relaxed atmosphere that the first two episodes do really well at evoking through certain shots. Yes, this episode is supposed to be more exciting, but the overall aesthetic and feeling of it is more bland. The beginning also seemed to be paced too quickly.

What I do appreciate is how it's shown that Mari has an ulterior motive, and that Kanan is involved in the plot (building upon the scene in episode 1 when she looks at the helicopter). Dia is somehow involved as well. The other character interactions are also welcome, and we learn that Hanamaru really, really loves books, adding on to how she signed up to be a librarian. The moment between You and one of Chika's sisters was nice as well.

Sunshine started off really well, and I hope it recovers from this.
Kikoman589Aug 8, 2017 9:16 AM
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Oct 3, 2017 6:31 PM

Jul 2017
holy fucking shit what a roller coaster of emotions. That concert went from
Not a lot of people showed up but that's cool to lets sing for em to the power is out crying to fucking everyone is their like holy shit
Oct 21, 2017 7:49 AM

Nov 2011
After a long pause, I resume watching this series, and I seem to like more than I remembered. Maybe it looks vaguely like LL, but little by little something seems to change. The characters I love even more.
Nov 22, 2017 3:04 PM

Jan 2014
The singing was amazing, the song wasn't lame like I thought it'd be, and the characters are likable. I don't know what else I could ask for.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

May 18, 2018 10:50 PM

Apr 2009
uhg.. same concept with the previous season.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2019 11:51 AM

May 2016
While Mari's shiny happy-go-lucky attitude dominated the School Director's room, her challenge for the girls was pretty intimidating and it's not joke. It's funny to see Yoshiko don the Nico Incognito disguise and it great to see Ruby and Maru enjoy the show so much. That mysterious writing on the sand sure helped them a lot~

While Aqours' first live almost turned out to be as heartbreaking as μ's' was with pretty much no one showing up except for a few people (it might not be a full house at all but at least they didn't start off with a completely empty auditorium), the kindness and supportiveness of those from the countryside and the help from her schoolmates made it a success. The bad weather was the real villain here, cutting off the power and making me have to emotionally deal with the three of them struggling to sing a song about being happy when they really wanted to break down in frustration but Dia secretly came to the rescue with all those generators and Mito invited everyone she knew along with those who were initially invited by the three.

Like Dia said, they didn't experience failure as hard as Honoka, Kotori, and Umi did because the three Otonokizaka legends had revolutionized and popularized School Idols enough for them but they still worked hard for it and besides, the really difficult part comes after they've established the club.

Jul 14, 2019 7:48 AM

Aug 2013
Good episode. The first performance almost turned out to be a disaster. Thank god for those power generators.

Aqours is a nice name for the group.

Oct 24, 2019 9:06 PM
Apr 2018
"Aqours" is a really cool name. Just realized its actual pronunciation is nothing like I had imagined lol.

Both Ruby and Hanamaru look younger and younger to me as each episode passes; I like "zura" but Ruby is getting in my nerves. Chika still meh, but You is getting cooler. I'm expecting for Kanan to appear tbh.

Their costumes were so pretty, You's colour especially, and the song was good enough. I didn't quite understand why everyone got sad at the blackout: it wasn't anyone's fault; in the end I didn't quite feel anything special about the scene.
Sep 13, 2020 8:12 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yeah, this is just brought back the beautiful memories from Muses first performance, if i don't mistakenly remembering my old mind. Lol. Fortunately for the girls, they had a warmth-heart people that wanted to help them pretty much until their last performance. Their remoted area had its own shine to gave our girls a cheers. How sweet, i love it! Its good, anyway, no matter what. Eventhough, i never believed this was just a copycat of Muses original characters. I pretty much enjoying their show. Mari first appearance, tho. She suddenly became my center of attention with her eccentricsm. X)
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Mar 22, 2021 8:31 PM

Feb 2021
Concert

-Previous: I hope...

-When the courtain almost open: Not again...

-When the courtain open: NOOOOO! *flashbacks from the first µ's concert*

-But the people comes: YEEEEEES! :D

Good performance and good name Aqours.
Apr 15, 2021 1:36 AM

Feb 2020
Emotional episode again. I loved their debut so much.

SerafosNov 13, 2023 1:27 AM
Oct 27, 2021 12:33 PM

Nov 2017
It's joke!~ I swear to Bob, ever since Sunshine, every time I listen to that Yurie Kokubu song "Just a Joke" it always reminds me of Mari lmao.

Goodness, way to get at a fella's emotions, writers! Not gonna front, but my heart cracked a bit hearing Chika choke up while singing the lyrics after the power went out. This episode, for lack of a better term, felt emotionally charged. It would've been depressing to have ended their dream due to some power outage.

Random point, but the voice acting during that scene was next level too.

Thankfully, it turned out to be a big success! &++ I see you, Dia! Despite coming off as stern, you're a sofie aren't ye? ╭(♡・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ Hehehe. You were the one who took the time to set-up the backup generators!

Chika's response to Dia's retort was awesome. That's just how it is with everything in life y'know. Like my role model, Mr. Rogers once said, "We just don't get to be competent human beings without a lot of different investments from others." Indeed, no one becomes an accomplished person on their own, they had the support and help of others. Still, it's appropriate to also acknowledge the work you've put in so they can take notice and lend their positive energy.

Anyway, I'm glad that this episode was able to make me feel sad to feeling happy. Love it! :-D

Dec 2, 2021 2:33 AM

Jun 2021
Loved this episode so much, i started Sunshine now lol xD

Chika, You and Riko are so beautiful <3 Love this anime so much!

All the Love Live are masterpieces
Mar 8, 2022 10:04 AM

Jan 2022
Well, there's the Mari content I was asking for lmao
she's annoying, but in a funny i like it kinda way

The scene where Chika's sister came in and everyone just showed up out of nowhere was touching, but I definitely preferred muse's performance to aqours'.

Though so far I like the characters for aqours way more than I do muse, and I've noticed the aqours girls have much more distinct voices than the muse girls. With muse they would all blend together, but with aqours I can differentiate them enough
Apr 27, 2023 12:40 PM

Dec 2020
The like ten people who showed up was pretty good since they are like unknown and new. But then the sister filled up the whole place. It also made me realize of they only have one song and it averages around 4 mins. Everyone came just for that and then went home lol
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2016

142 by nanuha »»
Apr 13, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

165 by JoJoLaRow »»
Mar 10, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2016

214 by Kayroad »»
Dec 18, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Favorite Aquors member ( 1 2 )

ya_hallo - Sep 10, 2016

70 by LemonXChio »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:58 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

101 by laaala »»
May 9, 2023 1:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.