Forum Settings
Forums

I'm so sicken tired of a time travel concept being shoved in anime these days

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 15, 2016 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
So let me see if i get this straight, you think the time travel consept is being overused because there as been 1/2 shows in the latest seasons that use this concept? I dont get your point -.- If you are tired of it just dont watch this shows.
Jul 15, 2016 1:56 PM

Sep 2015
"No danger to the person using it"

I dunno bout that, just because you can't die or can reverse time doesn't mean you aren't in danger if you don't pay attention or fuck up
Jul 15, 2016 2:24 PM

Oct 2014
@Cejara No prob mate. I also enjoyed S:G when I watched it but I didn't had this mindset either, and since I can't delete my memory I can't rewatch it again with my mindset to see how I would enjoy it now.

The thrill in S:G is real though. Even though one would see that "it will work out in the end", Okabe's reaction is what sells it.

Also, spoil that shit mate lol I don't want any unsuspect person to casually read that line and get their experience ruined.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Jul 15, 2016 2:30 PM

Sep 2015
I'm tired of the concept. I simply don't watch anime with that kind of plot anymore.

You just lost the game
Jul 15, 2016 2:35 PM

Jul 2016
I don't like time travel either, but that's because I'm kind of a picky shit. You can tell just by looking at my anime and manga lists.

Was it the shyness in my soul that made me lonely just like you? No one noticed I was there, when I walked into the room.

-Freddie Mercury
Jul 15, 2016 2:41 PM

Jan 2016
The time travel plot device is certainly divisive isn't it? For myself, I like it though if a show can deliver in its initial premises. If not, then it'll just be a piece of crap.
Jul 15, 2016 2:47 PM

Jul 2015
Just don't watch it then, their is only like 1 or 2 a season so it's no big deal, seems like you're just complaining just to complain
Sup...
Jul 15, 2016 3:10 PM

Jul 2015
I'm sure that there are plenty of non-time-travelling-concept anime for you to watch, dw :)
Jul 15, 2016 3:16 PM

Jan 2015
Time travel doesn't always end with the mc living a perfect life. Anyone that says that hasn't seen much of it. And people that think that wouldn't be great creators.

Look at trunks future in dbz the world is still destroyed. Look at butterfly effect the rl movie where the mc dies.
Look at the terminator series.

I won't deny that time traveling concept animes aren't somewhat popular now though. There are at least one every season. And this season they have at least 2. But time traveling is not a restrictive genre. It doesn't mean the animes have to be similar.
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Jul 15, 2016 3:20 PM

Jan 2011
If you think time travel in anime. You haven't seen what happens when western animation gets it.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 15, 2016 4:06 PM

Dec 2014
I am sick of those anime that have peoples in them... like every damn anime out there has humans, is like humans are the only thing that existe in this Universe. So annoying!!!! You at least have like few thousands of anime without time travel, and other new hundreds every year, while I am stuck with those filthy humans!
Jul 15, 2016 4:34 PM

Feb 2016
Steins Gate master race. If something about time travel even comes close to being on steins gate level (and they do it through a damn microwave) I'll be impressed. I plan on watching The Girl Who Leapt Through time soon. I hope I'm not disappointed.
Jul 15, 2016 5:23 PM

Jul 2015
Kona_Kana said:
moodie said:
Man some peoples complaints on anime is hilarious. If you dont like it dont watch it. Books, movies, tv series all dive into certain themes and explore them. If your tired of anime ur probably tired of all forms of entertainment. Srsly most of you anime fans are stuck in a box with ur niche taste and cant comprehend how the industry works. Something is popular it will get pushed. Besides the time travel concept its EXTREMELY niche.

Looking at ur list it looks like you have this 1 set mindset on whats good and what isnt. Im tired of gorey anime and action anime that are manly. You know what I did? I stopped watching them. There is literally too much anime out there to be complaining about a subgenre. That anime planet link only shows 61 time travel based anime. And some of those arent using time travel as its main theme.

Also stop this nonsense. You barely seen much time travel anime in the first place looking at ur list.
Ur complaining about something you have no experience with.

Hopefully the concept becomes even more prevalent because there are far more stories in light novel and manga that dive into that theme so much better. Sadly HakoMari will never see an adaption.

I honestly feel that it would be better if Hakomari didn't get an adaptation since whatever studio adapts it is bound to screw it up.

I know that my mind totally agrees with this, but imagining a successful full adaptation of HakoMari, my favourite story by a large margin, is just something that would kill me of pure happiness.

But there are just so many factors that make this difficult, both story (so many elements that are perfect in LN but so hard to adapt to anime), and the characters (Maria is top tier best girl, but I don't think she would sell much, nor the other girls) are a problem to adapt and finance all the seasons of the anime, and for what I know the LN didn't even sell that much there (it was probably way too dark, I suppose), sigh...

But Volume 7 adapted would take MAL's first place without even doubting it.
Jul 15, 2016 5:28 PM
Aug 2014
MetaThPr4h said:
Kona_Kana said:

I honestly feel that it would be better if Hakomari didn't get an adaptation since whatever studio adapts it is bound to screw it up.

I know that my mind totally agrees with this, but imagining a successful full adaptation of HakoMari, my favourite story by a large margin, is just something that would kill me of pure happiness.

But there are just so many factors that make this difficult, both story (so many elements that are perfect in LN but so hard to adapt to anime), and the characters (Maria is top tier best girl, but I don't think she would sell much, nor the other girls) are a problem to adapt and finance all the seasons of the anime, and for what I know the LN didn't even sell that much there, sigh...

But Volume 7 adapted would take MAL's first place without even doubting it.

Would be great, but I still think whatever studio does it most likely won't be able to bring it justice. It's so overlooked that it's probably not going to ever happen.

It's leagues ahead of pretty much everything else.
Jul 15, 2016 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
Thats sad because I love a good plot twist with a little bit time travel why not? Lol. Even though I didn't really like steins gate as much as everyone else did I feel.
Jul 15, 2016 5:51 PM

Oct 2015
Then don't watch it? I don't see the point in watching it if you are tired of watching the specific trope.
Jul 15, 2016 6:37 PM

Mar 2012
People only think now that time travel is used to fix the bad future even though there are a lot of application to it.

Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 15, 2016 6:57 PM
May 2015
i sure hope this isnt about Orange. the story is a manifestation of the characters deep regret so whether u even take it literally is up to you, and there certainly isnt any attempt to be overly clever with it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2016 12:46 AM

Oct 2015
Let it be cliche, let it die TC.

It's an time travel + mystery/dark tone era, and every series use that combination make a huge hit/success, e.g: steins;gate, boku dake, re:zero.

Actually i want to see more, different plot with dat "time-leaping" thing.
Jul 16, 2016 5:54 PM

Jun 2008
Dizzee said:
sbyrstall said:
*facepalm*
Nothing is being force on anyone. It's your choice if you want to watch it or not.

If you want to see an overuse that messes up a series, just look at any US comic books. It's so convoluted it's unreadable.

so basically you're saying "don't like it don't watch it"?
*facepalm*
there's a bunch of anime that get this concept introduced later in the show, read the OP please
Nope, I didn't say that. I don't mind it IF it's done right. I'm referring to comic books and mangas in which there is a characters that time travel like they are breathing. It causes a lot of continuity problems.
The next season of Flash (tv) will probably be nothing but the Flashpoint arc that DC did, as an example.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jul 16, 2016 6:07 PM
Dec 2015
BRB-kun said:
Thievery said:
That's understandable. They lack tension because, unless it's some kind of tragedy or the time travel element is used for other purpose than the main entertainment (like with Tatami Galaxy), you already know the protagonist is gonna succeed, due to reasoning why would the author use an element so inherently powerful to solve the problems in the first place. It just becomes boring if you apply logic to it.

I'll include reality reset, dimension travelling and altering the past. In practice it allows the same thing: redo something or reset a situation, which is the overpowered thing of time travel that also applies in these examples.

Eleven in total

See what's in common in all of them? They're popular, and some of them praised as AOTS in their respective moments. With the saturation on the fanbase of shows that have those elements, it doesn't matter if there are a lot of them or not: it still feels saturated and makes you feel like the contemporary period is resorting too much in this plot element, which is lazy as fuck too.

It seems a lot of people like this kind of stories, and due to pure economy, we will probably see more of them.

To be fair, two of those,
, uses this plot point as revelation pieces,
uses it in its own arc and not really a main story point, and one,
is a deus ex machina. They're not the main focus or only become the focus in a ahort time unlike some of the others.

Plus series like
can attest that time travel can up the stakes and doesn't always end up as happy endings as well.
To be fair, Clannad is not a deus ex machine because the premise of wish granting is foreshadowed throughout the entire series. However, the dimension hop that occurred is obviously not a main focus for the show. Madoka wouldn't have even happened if not for the time travel element, so I would still consider the time travel a huge plot point and focus.
Jul 16, 2016 6:23 PM

Mar 2016
There aren't that many. What else besides ReZero and Steins Gate? Those are both awesome btw.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jul 16, 2016 6:55 PM
Mar 2014
Not only are time travel anime not that common no one is forcing you to watch them. also shows can use time travel and still be compelling as long as they have other interesting components beyond time travel.
Jul 16, 2016 7:28 PM

Sep 2014
Re:Zero is doing time travel very well, just as well as steins;gate did so far. If re:zero keeps it up which it seems it will and with the approaching steins:gate zero probably going to be a lot of half assed cash grab animes trying to cash in on the hype.
Jul 16, 2016 7:59 PM
May 2015
Charlotte best show 10/10 that plot build up for real
Jul 16, 2016 8:17 PM

Jan 2011
It's better than nothing, literally...
Jul 16, 2016 8:55 PM

Nov 2015
Dizzee said:
BRB-kun said:
Sick and tired?

Name at least 15 bro.

Well there's quite a few here

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/tags/time-travel

excluding the ones that mentioning would be a spoiler, there's a lot more of them such as:

and many more that I haven't seen

How would you get sick and tired of it if you haven't seen all of them?
Jul 16, 2016 8:58 PM

Sep 2015
Mayoiga is the greatest time travel anime.
Jul 17, 2016 1:13 AM

Mar 2016
The most annoying when a character die, so they go back to the time, and save it some episodes later... At least it's less annoying than using resurrection no jutsu, or something like that. If somebody died, pls let him dead...
Jul 17, 2016 1:17 AM

Dec 2014
Watch Tatami Galaxy and tell me you hate time travel in that.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

44 by RioAl »»
4 minutes ago

» Your top 5 anime couples

Anjumhossain - Dec 12, 2022

39 by billybub »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

94 by Timeline_man »»
14 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

41 by Adverrito »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

39 by weebtoge »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.