Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Episode 1 Discussion


Oct 4, 2010 1:04 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 205
chainermike said:


In all seriousness though, I see this mostly as a gift to the fans of the VN, we know the plot/story/character development because we read through it all (3 times in fact) so why not show the juicy bits and just enough story that we are not completely lost. I do realize that most that haven't read the VN will be wondering what the hell is going on but that's how it had to be done, those who read the VN will get the most out of this and that is just the way it should be.


agreed
 
Oct 4, 2010 1:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1474
...

First I tried downloading it, but after I saw it would probably take me at least a week (What with 5GB movie downloading at 18KB/s), I started watching it online... OK, they're skipping some story - but that's OK, maybe they're doing the same thing as FMA:Brotherhood.
Then they entered the Rideri arc, and still cutting scenes... even though this diverse from the Saber route... But that's also OK, maybe Rider wasn't important enough... Then the fight at the temple, Shirou returns, OK PEOPLE SERIOUSLY WTF ARE YOU DOING?... Then there's bondaged Saber scene, and the flash player started lagging pretty heavily, so I exited fullscreen, and decided to check how much is lef...

WHAT? I'M HALFWAY THROUGH? >:O I mean... If they're planning to put the whole story into the remaining 45 minutes, then it's obvious this is the way it is going to continue... Like.. WHAT THE F...?! >:O

I... lack words at what they did with this story. Seriously disappointed. I don't see how someone who haven't read the VN is supposed to know just what in the damned hell is going on... I read it, and was confused at times -_-' Seriously overhyped... And yes, they should've stretched it into several OVAs and not.. this.



-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
 
Oct 4, 2010 1:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1415
Great movie with awesome animation, definitely worth the BD ^_^

chainermike said:

I do realize that most that haven't read the VN will be wondering what the hell is going on but that's how it had to be done, those who read the VN will get the most out of this and that is just the way it should be.

Agreed
 
Oct 4, 2010 3:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 367
OMG THE QUALITY IS TOO FUCKING HIGH MY FLASH PLUGIN KEEPS CRASHING WHEN I TRY TO WATCH IT ON ANIMEDREAMING

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK
 
Oct 4, 2010 4:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1006
ummm... i agree. this is a gift for fans. if it was to be just like a tv series of the actual route, i woulda rather seen several movies released within DECENT TIME GAPS (unlike a certain rebuild series of movies....)

i have yet to read the ubw part of the vn, but i know most of whats important.

as i said in another forum

well, the movie, at first, really felt paced up, but that was to be expected in order to cover the main things. since its been awhile since i touched any of the nasuverse novels, i felt a bit off, but it picked up for me as i remembered everything. for sure, this movie is supposed to make you want to read the novel... and whatever happen to tohsakas h scene.... it felt like they were going to do it but then they didnt.... other than that, everything was put in perfectly. i just... dont want to ramble on and summarizing. so all in all, this is an amazing movie, and if you are follower of fate (which you should be or at least know), this is a must see. i really actually wanted to see a tohsaka kiss shirou scene, but meh. it felt like the "open ending" was fit for.

i may suffer from tsunderephilia, and i may love rin the most out of my fav characters... but i just couldn't help to love the movie. tohsaka end ftw.

now.. onto attempting to read ubw/heaven's feel/fate again... then wait for mahotsukai no yoru to be translated
 
Oct 4, 2010 5:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 367
YESSS I managed to watch it by switching to Opera.

Thoughts:

I LOVED THIS WAY MORE THAN THE VISUAL NOVEL.

I only made it halfway through the VN before screaming "FUCK I'm sick of this stupid philosophy and wordy writing ACTION FUCKING WHERE" so this was perfect because it cut everything down to ACTION ACTION ACTION and I was like FUCK YEAH OH HELL YES BEAUTIFUL ANIMATION PORN you just know DEEN was desperately wanting to show off their animation budget for the whole damn thing.

Archer was already Crazy Awesome in the Fate anime. And as I expected, the man got EVEN MORE CRAZY AWESOME in this movie YEAAAHHHHHHHHH

Plus, even though this is supposed to be the "Shirou/Rin" route I still got much stronger vibes of Shirou/Saber hahahahaha. But that's fine since I don't really care for Rin and I think Shirou and Saber are cute anyway.

I also had to LOL at Rider getting barely 3 minutes screentime and having zero lines.

I also can't forget the amazing soundtrack yeah!!!! I totally loved the epic feel of it all and the only thing that would've made it better was if a bunch of masked terrorists showed up and got their asses kicked to this track:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l64UdWQpngI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l64UdWQpngI

(OK OK I'm joking about that last bit lol)

If anyone's gonna bitch about my tastes, guess what I don't give a fuck, my favorite movies of 2009 were Transformers and GI Joe I'm an action junkie so hell yes this movie was made of PURE UNADULTERATED AWESOMENESS.

10/10 YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH
Modified by Banshee-IV, Oct 4, 2010 7:12 PM
 
Oct 4, 2010 5:11 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 6
chainermike said:
grklein said:
I was very disappointed with this movie, it's just non-stop epic and beautifully animated fighting scenes with almost no plot and zero character development. I liked the TV series, the movie doesn't even compare to it.

Fixd

In all seriousness though, I see this mostly as a gift to the fans of the VN, we know the plot/story/character development because we read through it all (3 times in fact) so why not show the juicy bits and just enough story that we are not completely lost. I do realize that most that haven't read the VN will be wondering what the hell is going on but that's how it had to be done, those who read the VN will get the most out of this and that is just the way it should be.

must agree to that, this movie was made for people who played the visual novel
i already finished reading the full visual novel of fate stay night many times already and after seeing the movie i see it as a gift to the fans of the visual novel but if you have not read the visual novel then you will be like WTF is happening. now after seeing unlimited blade works turn into a movie i would like to see Heavens Feel next
Modified by AsR163, Oct 4, 2010 5:20 PM
 
Oct 4, 2010 5:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 162
AsR163 said:
now after seeing unlimited blade works turn into a movie i would like to see Heavens Feel next


Agreed, but how are they going to remove all the mature rated stuff like they have with the other 2 routes? I'm sure anyone that has played the PS2 version will be able to answer that question, though I just can't imagine HF without all teh sexorz.


It won't give up it wants me dead god damn this noise inside my head
 
Oct 4, 2010 6:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 140
AICW said:
OMG THE QUALITY IS TOO FUCKING HIGH MY FLASH PLUGIN KEEPS CRASHING WHEN I TRY TO WATCH IT ON ANIMEDREAMING


Maurox said:

First I tried downloading it, but after I saw it would probably take me at least a week (What with 5GB movie downloading at 18KB/s), I started watching it online...


How can you people stream an anime that the only real appeal is beautifully done action sequences? Eyecancer much? I patiently waited for my 27 hour torrent.
My current anime list is grossly, out of date, just so you know.


skullhunterj said:
if u expect me to put on my working writing skill on forums like this...think again, Grammer Nazi!!!

I hate people.
 
Oct 4, 2010 7:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 511
I consider this a huge success.
If you look at the time constants of an hour and 45 minute film and the fact that they were squashing a 5-10 hour scenario in this I say they did a great job. There are hiccups here and there and the CG looks out of place at point(Of course CG always does) but I still loved it.
I didn't expect much on the story but then again I know the story. I read the Visual novel after all. If I want character development I go back and read it again. All I wanted was to see the fight scenes in their full animated glory. And that's what I got. So I am very happy.

A film full of GAR. Now all I need is Heavens feel and Fate/zero. Preferable as tv series but I will settle for a film for heavens feel if it's like this.(That final fight of heavens feel deserves to be animated dammit! It's probably the most epic fight ever conceived by man!) However Fate/zero better be a tv series.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

 
Oct 4, 2010 8:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
The movie is actually a beautiful trailer of the ubw route, because things happen too fast and the gaps between the scenes cover a large amount of time.

I already read the visual novel, and I could not feel in the movie the same fellings I felt reading the novel, because of the poor character development, but very nice animations and sound tough.
 
Oct 4, 2010 8:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 297
Just one word

FUUUUKKKIIINNNNNGGGGAAAAAAMMMMAAAAAZZZZIIIINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

Macross :Do you remember the love and Fate/stay nightt unlimited blades works, best anime movies i`be watched.

 
Oct 4, 2010 8:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 367
Also quick note: I found it oddly hilarious that Gilgamesh didn't even acknowledge Saber at all in this movie, even when they were in the same room together, considering how Saber-crazy he was in the anime.
 
Oct 4, 2010 8:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 5800
I saw dolphins.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Oct 4, 2010 8:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 140
Here's my proposal: A special edition UBW VN with fight scenes from this movie as cutscenes. FUND IT.
My current anime list is grossly, out of date, just so you know.


skullhunterj said:
if u expect me to put on my working writing skill on forums like this...think again, Grammer Nazi!!!

I hate people.
 
Oct 4, 2010 9:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 297
gainaxfanboy said:
Here's my proposal: A special edition UBW VN with fight scenes from this movie as cutscenes. FUND IT.


I`agree

 
Oct 4, 2010 9:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1474
How can you people stream an anime that the only real appeal is beautifully done action sequences? Eyecancer much? I patiently waited for my 27 hour torrent.


Maybe because I am impatient??

And thank god I did watch it online, If I actually spent that week downloading this movie, only to get this... trailer, I would probably brake my desk, headbanging on it out of pure disappointment.

Seriously ppl, I am frankly AMAZED you are giving this such high ratings :S The only thing worth watching here is the last one third portion of the movie, and even there there were some small inconsistencies here and there. Look at the part where Gil is pulling Shirou into the Grail - in the VN it took several minutes of Shirou actually struggling to get free, and Archer came in only at the last moment - in the movie we get like 3 seconds of standing still, and *bam* archer goes in, farewell, tension.
Like I wrote in my review - this movie would be good as a bunch of cut-scenes for the fights, but as an adaptation this FAILS, and big time.

And I am even more amazed that people who did not read the VN can actually watch this and not ask tons of "WTF?"s in the process. I know that if I didn't read the VN, I'd have no idea just what in the hell is this all about...

//EDIT: Oh, actually someone else suggested the cut-scene version as well xD



-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
 
Oct 4, 2010 9:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 914
AICW said:
Also quick note: I found it oddly hilarious that Gilgamesh didn't even acknowledge Saber at all in this movie, even when they were in the same room together, considering how Saber-crazy he was in the anime.


haha same here o_O Even going through the VN youtube videos, I'm pretty sure he did acknowledge Saber at some point so I find it a little weird ^^; and I actually wanna see Gilgamesh's reaction if he saw Saber in that dress that she wore when she was held hostage by Caster just out of curiosity xD
K9001 said:


gainaxfanboy said:
Here's my proposal: A special edition UBW VN with fight scenes from this movie as cutscenes. FUND IT.


I`agree

This

Maurox said:

And I am even more amazed that people who did not read the VN can actually watch this and not ask tons of "WTF?"s in the process. I know that if I didn't read the VN, I'd have no idea just what in the hell is this all about...

//EDIT: Oh, actually someone else suggested the cut-scene version as well xD

Maybe those people were watching the movie just purely for the action >_>
 
Oct 4, 2010 9:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1474
Maybe those people were watching the movie just purely for the action >_>


If so, then they're completely missing the point of "why UBW kicks butt". IMHO ofc.
And even then, I still can't help but be astonished at this. I mean, I understand watching a movie purely for action, but it needs to have SOME plot, the suspension of disbelief... My suspension of disbelief was broken after "Shirou lives with Sakura" - jump - "Archer and Lancer fight" - jump - "Shirou gets killed" - jump - "Tohsaka revives Shirou" - Jump - "Saber appears" - jump - "Shirou is in the church"...

And if those were only summaries... This is pretty much how plot looks through most of the movie! Just jumping between scenes, like saying "Oh, this is only main plot and character development, bear with us until we get to last 20 minutes where there will be AWESOME FIGHTING!". If they didn't want to show us the plot, why bother with this bullcrap of a introduction that takes most of the movie? Just make Shirou and Archer fight for 90 minutes non stop - at least it wouldn't throw me out of the mood every 5 minutes or so, when it jumped to another scene :/

I don't know, If there's some sense in the movie I'd like it to make sense. If there's going to be none, don't bother to try and make it look like it has.



-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
 
Oct 4, 2010 9:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 914
Maurox said:
Maybe those people were watching the movie just purely for the action >_>


If so, then they're completely missing the point of "why UBW kicks butt". IMHO ofc.
And even then, I still can't help but be astonished at this. I mean, I understand watching a movie purely for action, but it needs to have SOME plot, the suspension of disbelief... My suspension of disbelief was broken after "Shirou lives with Sakura" - jump - "Archer and Lancer fight" - jump - "Shirou gets killed" - jump - "Tohsaka revives Shirou" - Jump - "Saber appears" - jump - "Shirou is in the church"...

And if those were only summaries... This is pretty much how plot looks through most of the movie! Just jumping between scenes, like saying "Oh, this is only main plot and character development, bear with us until we get to last 20 minutes where there will be AWESOME FIGHTING!". If they didn't want to show us the plot, why bother with this bullcrap of a introduction that takes most of the movie? Just make Shirou and Archer fight for 90 minutes non stop - at least it wouldn't throw me out of the mood every 5 minutes or so, when it jumped to another scene :/

I don't know, If there's some sense in the movie I'd like it to make sense. If there's going to be none, don't bother to try and make it look like it has.


Haha I agree with you. I'm starting to get more bothered than before about movies (and this includes non-anime ones) that have great action but bad plot and lack of character development x__X Plot and character development are definitely things that I'm focusing more on...and because of that, I'm feeling more critical towards animes (mostly shounens) now

and the fact is that I've waited more than 6 months for this movie..and let me tell you...my expectations were really high for this movie (to the point I really and badly wanted to rate this movie at least a 9/10 lol) so the wait was pretty agonizing :X And because of that, I was more disappointed about the movie than I wanted to be >.<

and one random question: what does "IMO" stand for? I see many people using it but i never figured it out what it is.__.
 
Oct 4, 2010 10:05 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 70
IMO = In my Opinion

Hmm UBW movie is awesome :D

Rin <3

Gonna study VN scenario since I never playing / read it
Zutto Anime, Game, Manga!


 
Oct 4, 2010 10:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 914
holy_ said:
IMO = In my Opinion

Hmm UBW movie is awesome :D

Rin <3

Gonna study VN scenario since I never playing / read it


Oh so that what it stands for! haha xD

Anyways, if you want to just read the summary, go to wikipedia for that >_>
If you want to go through the VN itself (and if you dont have it), youtube has it :P I'm actually kind of watching it now, though I should be doing something else more important right now >___>;
 
Oct 4, 2010 10:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 162
sallym613 said:
holy_ said:
IMO = In my Opinion

Hmm UBW movie is awesome :D

Rin <3

Gonna study VN scenario since I never playing / read it


Oh so that what it stands for! haha xD

Anyways, if you want to just read the summary, go to wikipedia for that >_>
If you want to go through the VN itself (and if you dont have it), youtube has it :P I'm actually kind of watching it now, though I should be doing something else more important right now >___>;

Wait, what? There is something more important than reading a Type-Moon VN? i call bullshit.


It won't give up it wants me dead god damn this noise inside my head
 
Oct 4, 2010 10:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 914
chainermike said:
sallym613 said:
holy_ said:
IMO = In my Opinion

Hmm UBW movie is awesome :D

Rin <3

Gonna study VN scenario since I never playing / read it


Oh so that what it stands for! haha xD

Anyways, if you want to just read the summary, go to wikipedia for that >_>
If you want to go through the VN itself (and if you dont have it), youtube has it :P I'm actually kind of watching it now, though I should be doing something else more important right now >___>;

Wait, what? There is something more important than reading a Type-Moon VN? i call bullshit.


doing essay + studying for art history exam so i wouldnt fail the course? =D
Not like I wanted to do it (i would so prefer reading the VN over doing that stuff) but I don't want to face the horrible consequences of failing and not getting enough sleep =( Besides, I have less classes tomorrow and Wed. to go to anyways so I'll have time to read it anyways -^
 
Oct 4, 2010 10:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 162
sallym613 said:
doing essay + studying for art history exam so i wouldnt fail the course? =D
Not like I wanted to do it (i would so prefer reading the VN over doing that stuff) but I don't want to face the horrible consequences of failing and not getting enough sleep =( Besides, I have less classes tomorrow and Wed. to go to anyways so I'll have time to read it anyways -^


Hmmm...touche. Also I'm confused as to why one would read the VN on youtube, surely getting the game yourself would be alot more efficient and much more enjoyable.


It won't give up it wants me dead god damn this noise inside my head
 
Oct 4, 2010 10:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 914
chainermike said:
sallym613 said:
doing essay + studying for art history exam so i wouldnt fail the course? =D
Not like I wanted to do it (i would so prefer reading the VN over doing that stuff) but I don't want to face the horrible consequences of failing and not getting enough sleep =( Besides, I have less classes tomorrow and Wed. to go to anyways so I'll have time to read it anyways -^


Hmmm...touche. Also I'm confused as to why one would read the VN on youtube, surely getting the game yourself would be alot more efficient and much more enjoyable.


1. I have no clue where to get the VN
2. I'm poor lol
 
Oct 4, 2010 11:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 162
sallym613 said:

1. I have no clue where to get the VN
2. I'm poor lol

You could torrent it, some could argue against such methods but watching it on youtube would be no different IMO.


It won't give up it wants me dead god damn this noise inside my head
 
Oct 4, 2010 11:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 367
I understand watching a movie purely for action, but it needs to have SOME plot, the suspension of disbelief...


No it doesn't. GI Joe The Rise of Cobra was the BEST MOVIE OF 2009 precisely because it had a SHIT plot and NO suspension of disbelief, and I loved every minute of it.

Likewise, I declare UBW the best movie of 2010.
 
Oct 4, 2010 11:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 914
chainermike said:
sallym613 said:

1. I have no clue where to get the VN
2. I'm poor lol

You could torrent it, some could argue against such methods but watching it on youtube would be no different IMO.


Hmmm..I'll think about it, though I actually don't like using torrents =/
Though maybe I should try just to see how awesome it is (because I went through some parts of the VN for UBW once and it was actually kinda awesome watching it despite the fact that I was only watching it through youtube)

AICW said:
I understand watching a movie purely for action, but it needs to have SOME plot, the suspension of disbelief...


No it doesn't. GI Joe The Rise of Cobra was the BEST MOVIE OF 2009 precisely because it had a SHIT plot and NO suspension of disbelief, and I loved every minute of it.

Likewise, I declare UBW the best movie of 2010.


well lets just say everyone has different opinions and preferences >.>
 
Oct 4, 2010 11:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 367
All right all right ~ :-p For what it's worth, I had no problems understanding what was going on to the end, even though I only played UBW until the school fight with the skeletons and then I stopped because I was bored and it was taking too long.
 
Oct 4, 2010 11:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 162
AICW said:
All right all right ~ :-p For what it's worth, I had no problems understanding what was going on to the end, even though I only played UBW until the school fight with the skeletons and then I stopped because I was bored and it was taking too long.

IIRC that is right before the caster vs archer bit, where the story starts to pull you in. Really made you realize it was a different route from that point on.


It won't give up it wants me dead god damn this noise inside my head
 
Oct 4, 2010 11:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 476
Great Movie all in all..

I liked the action scenes very well, and the ending was better than the tv series since I like Rin better than Saber :D

But, there was something I didn't understand at all.. it's the notes after the ending.. Can someone explain this to me?..
 
Oct 4, 2010 11:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 2028
NOOOOOOOO!! ILYA!
NOOOOOOOOO!
:'(
 
Oct 4, 2010 11:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 162
notzky said:
Great Movie all in all..

I liked the action scenes very well, and the ending was better than the tv series since I like Rin better than Saber :D

But, there was something I didn't understand at all.. it's the notes after the ending.. Can someone explain this to me?..

judging by what it said it was Archers thoughts after the fight with Shirou, that he could not stop him from continuing down the path to "the wasteland". At the end of the VN they did basically the same bit cept a little more obvious and detailed.


It won't give up it wants me dead god damn this noise inside my head
 
Oct 5, 2010 1:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 341
cud've been better ~.~
omg, the plot's suck >.<
no chara developement etc..

last but not least,
wtf ilya died like dat.... >:
Modified by sick742, Oct 5, 2010 10:02 AM
 
Oct 5, 2010 1:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1474
No it doesn't. GI Joe The Rise of Cobra was the BEST MOVIE OF 2009 precisely because it had a SHIT plot and NO suspension of disbelief, and I loved every minute of it.


OK, let me rephrase it:
If you're going to make a movie without plot, make it clear that it is without plot.
This movie acts like it didn't really want to have a plot, but someone either forced it to have one, or it thought it would get more audience if it got some pseudo-plot.

I had no problems understanding what was going on to the end, even though I only played UBW until the school fight with the skeletons and then I stopped because I was bored and it was taking too long.

You aren't much of a "interesting characters and story" kinda guy, are you -_-'

little more obvious and detailed.

"little", lol. VN actually explained what the hell was going on, unlike this thing.

And no, I'm not going to let go of the "This movie sucks because of the non-existent plot" argument. Too much hype was built around this.



-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
 
Oct 5, 2010 1:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 5800
I think best movie of '10 is a bit too much.

It's really just some fan-service for the fans, well... I got to see some dolphins and that's all I care about anyways ('least it wasn't a dragon).

But for those who've read the novel, surely it is satisfying: such nice animation as per expected by a studio of their caliber.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Oct 5, 2010 4:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 140
I can't believe someone's review for this movie was like.. Only play the VN if you liked the anime, and don't touch it before you've watched it, and don't watch UBW movie if you've done neither. The VN is god tier, and I dropped the anime after 2 or 3 episodes.
My current anime list is grossly, out of date, just so you know.


skullhunterj said:
if u expect me to put on my working writing skill on forums like this...think again, Grammer Nazi!!!

I hate people.
 
Oct 5, 2010 8:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 85
This film adaptation is shit. Like a lot of users here, I have played F/SN. I don't know how anybody could have enjoyed the movie- unless they were 8 or something.
The storyline made no sense at all, and jumped from scene to scene. The periods between each fight scene were, at the very least, an hour's worth of reading in the VN; the film simply connected them all removing the character developments and invaluable story explanations to make one long chain of fight sequences.
To be honest, I don't even know if having read the UBW route helps with the overall experience. Perhaps watching the film purely for the action, while having zero knowledge of the game would have been less of a disappointment.
 
Oct 5, 2010 8:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 508
YennoX said:
This film adaptation is shit. Like a lot of users here, I have played F/SN. I don't know how anybody could have enjoyed the movie- unless they were 8 or something.
The storyline made no sense at all, and jumped from scene to scene. The periods between each fight scene were, at the very least, an hour's worth of reading in the VN; the film simply connected them all removing the character developments and invaluable story explanations to make one long chain of fight sequences.
To be honest, I don't even know if having read the UBW route helps with the overall experience. Perhaps watching the film purely for the action, while having zero knowledge of the game would have been less of a disappointment.

That's why majority of the shows are overrated. Cool action + good animation + fanservice = awesome. =/

I've also played the VN and watched the TV adaptation. I can't help but agree that UBW was a major disappointment.
Modified by Hattori_Hanzo, Oct 5, 2010 8:55 AM
 
Oct 5, 2010 9:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 37
Hattori_Hanzo said:
YennoX said:
This film adaptation is shit. Like a lot of users here, I have played F/SN. I don't know how anybody could have enjoyed the movie- unless they were 8 or something.
The storyline made no sense at all, and jumped from scene to scene. The periods between each fight scene were, at the very least, an hour's worth of reading in the VN; the film simply connected them all removing the character developments and invaluable story explanations to make one long chain of fight sequences.
To be honest, I don't even know if having read the UBW route helps with the overall experience. Perhaps watching the film purely for the action, while having zero knowledge of the game would have been less of a disappointment.

That's why majority of the shows are overrated. Cool action + good animation + fanservice = awesome. =/

I've also played the VN and watched the TV adaptation. I can't help but agree that UBW was a major disappointment.

agreed.
 
Oct 5, 2010 12:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 208
I'll have to agree with all the points made here -- the movie had an unlimited amount of flaws and as a single piece of "art" was horrible. However, despite its dizzying pace and the fact that it does little justice to the visual novel, I still kind of liked it. As a die-hard fan of the latter, I was able to enjoy the movie for its phenomenal animation and art quality, the chance to relive the most important moments and experience a more vivid interpretation of this route. I even liked seeing the greatly enhanced versions of the CGs from the game, I remember each and every one fondly. To be honest, I was never a huge fan of hearing/seeing/playing something more than once so I'm not sure I'd be that thrilled with a more thorough adaption, what with the explanations about the Holy Grail War and all (even if that made the movie a lot better and more appealing to the newbies). After all, the original TV anime had about 26 episodes and most of them were boring to me, basically I just had to sit through a lousy retelling of the story, the only thing that kept me going was the eye-candy, of which, as much as I remember, wasn't that much of in the crucial fights etc. Obviously they went all out with that here, I've never ever seen such constant quality of animation. It was indeed, a joy to look at.

Again, though it was merely a frantic speed run of the game, I still found this movie to be a decent experience as a fan of the original work. To those of you who haven't played the game and have the guts to complain about this movie - you are right - but please, do yourself a favor and play the game (though now that you know the outlines of the story, you may not find it as enjoyable as you should have).
 
Oct 5, 2010 12:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 930
A person new watching this movie would not understand a thing.
The pacing was also suspect.

But, I came here looking for action and boy did it deliver it in spades.
Some scenes were jawdropping amazing.
 
Oct 5, 2010 3:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 914
YennoX said:
This film adaptation is shit. Like a lot of users here, I have played F/SN. I don't know how anybody could have enjoyed the movie- unless they were 8 or something.
The storyline made no sense at all, and jumped from scene to scene. The periods between each fight scene were, at the very least, an hour's worth of reading in the VN; the film simply connected them all removing the character developments and invaluable story explanations to make one long chain of fight sequences.
To be honest, I don't even know if having read the UBW route helps with the overall experience. Perhaps watching the film purely for the action, while having zero knowledge of the game would have been less of a disappointment.


Should we demand for a remake by a different studio then? xD
or as someone mentioned earlier:
gainaxfanboy said:
Here's my proposal: A special edition UBW VN with fight scenes from this movie as cutscenes. FUND IT.


Right now, I'm planning to re-watch the movie just to see if doing this would improve my opinion of the movie or not >_> I sometimes watch anime more than once if I either really like it or I didn't get something
 
Oct 5, 2010 4:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 192
This was such a huge huge disappointment I don't even know where to begin, but hell let's try...

There was far too much jumping between scenes, if you hadn't read the VN prior to this, or if someone hadn't give you a run-down beforehand you would likely have little to NO idea what was going on.

They cut some really great moments from the story, and ruined some even better ones, I mean, how can you ruin the scene with [POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD] Ilya and Berserker vs. Gilgamesh (YOU KNOW THE ONE I MEAN), I mean that was such an emotional scene in the VN, but no in this one Ilya doesn't even go to berserker at the end, which ruins the whole feel of that particular moment.

Oh, and then the gaping plotholes in the movie (obviously the VN readers know what is going on but new people would be super confused), such as Shirou suddenly being able to create replicas of Archer's swords, or there being a flashback to the teacher master (I forget his name), even though he hasn't even been introduced or mentioned yet (or at least, I don't remember him being mentioned before then in the movie), I could go on but I won't.

Really, the only good aspects of this was the art quality, which even took a small dive here and there.

The music was sub-par, the voice acting was average, the animation was smooth and pretty good, as was the art, the plot and pacing were abysmal, I understand they had to fit an entire route into 1 hour 45 or so, but they still did a terrible job of it.

I can't believe I waited so long for this, I really am disappointed at how this turned out ;_;
 
Oct 5, 2010 4:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 914
Birix2 said:
They cut some really great moments from the story, and ruined some even better ones, I mean, how can you ruin the scene with [POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD] Ilya and Berserker vs. Gilgamesh (YOU KNOW THE ONE I MEAN), I mean that was such an emotional scene in the VN, but no in this one Ilya doesn't even go to berserker at the end, which ruins the whole feel of that particular moment.

This
Birix2 said:
I can't believe I waited so long for this, I really am disappointed at how this turned out ;_;

and this

By the way, I'm curious to know if anyone would know why they would have a time limit to 1 hr 30 mins. or 1 hr 45 mins....I mean I totally understand that all movies must have a time limit but why that short? =/
 
Oct 5, 2010 5:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 192
Probably due to budget and time constraints, or so I would assume.

Then again often actual movies these days don't last much longer than around that length, so while time wise in relation to other movies it's fine, in relation to how long it should have been to fit in all the story at a reasonable pace, it was very bad.

It would have been much nicer if they had done this Kara no Kyoukai style (several movies that gradually explain the plot), oh well.
 
Oct 5, 2010 5:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1691
jiyuudansei said:
I'll have to agree with all the points made here -- the movie had an unlimited amount of flaws and as a single piece of "art" was horrible. However, despite its dizzying pace and the fact that it does little justice to the visual novel, I still kind of liked it. As a die-hard fan of the latter, I was able to enjoy the movie for its phenomenal animation and art quality, the chance to relive the most important moments and experience a more vivid interpretation of this route. I even liked seeing the greatly enhanced versions of the CGs from the game, I remember each and every one fondly. To be honest, I was never a huge fan of hearing/seeing/playing something more than once so I'm not sure I'd be that thrilled with a more thorough adaption, what with the explanations about the Holy Grail War and all (even if that made the movie a lot better and more appealing to the newbies). After all, the original TV anime had about 26 episodes and most of them were boring to me, basically I just had to sit through a lousy retelling of the story, the only thing that kept me going was the eye-candy, of which, as much as I remember, wasn't that much of in the crucial fights etc. Obviously they went all out with that here, I've never ever seen such constant quality of animation. It was indeed, a joy to look at.
THIS.. i don't care about the plot anymore because i know of it.. i even know where the BAD ENDS are.. so i'm gonna be very biased on how i rate the movie..

and in that regard, my semi-newbie friends (they watched the first anime only, no knowledge of VN whatsoever) were a bit surprised and they really liked it more.. i also had another friend who is a total newbie and have no knowledge of it and i just gave a minor introduction on what is happening, yet he still enjoyed it with a happy face as soon as the movie went to the point of Berserker.. and i believe as i observed all of them while watching together, they really had a fun movie experience (we were kinda noisy because we were shouting at some scenes)..

so by first hand-experience, while a total newbie with no experience won't enjoy it, one with proper guidance still enjoyed it with us.. (my newbie friend is now a Rin fan and he's trying to consider playing the VN as soon as the semestral break starts)

i think that while the movie fails to be a stand-alone movie masterpiece, it serves as a blockbuster continuation of the franchise..
Modified by argilium, Oct 5, 2010 5:54 PM
 
Oct 5, 2010 5:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 192
jiyuudansei said:
. Obviously they went all out with that here, I've never ever seen such constant quality of animation. It was indeed, a joy to look at.


Check out Kara no Kyoukai for consistant quality of animation as it beats this by a fair margin in my eyes. It is to date one of the most aesthetically pleasing anime's I've ever seen with regards to the art and animation, simply amazing, even the fight scenes are superb, just check out the first movie with Shiki on the rooftop scene, I was left in awe.

But I will agree this was very well done all the same, except for some bits here and there which caught my eye, hell it was the main thing that kept me watching, and I rarely watch something just for visuals alone.
 
Oct 5, 2010 6:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 5800
sallym613 said:
Birix2 said:
They cut some really great moments from the story, and ruined some even better ones, I mean, how can you ruin the scene with [POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD] Ilya and Berserker vs. Gilgamesh (YOU KNOW THE ONE I MEAN), I mean that was such an emotional scene in the VN, but no in this one Ilya doesn't even go to berserker at the end, which ruins the whole feel of that particular moment.

This
Birix2 said:
I can't believe I waited so long for this, I really am disappointed at how this turned out ;_;

and this

By the way, I'm curious to know if anyone would know why they would have a time limit to 1 hr 30 mins. or 1 hr 45 mins....I mean I totally understand that all movies must have a time limit but why that short? =/


They don't have a time limits:

There's movies that gets released in the theatre that goes for 9 hours +, you watch it more than one sitting of course: you take breaks while the movie is paused.

Based on inaccurate quick research:

Longest theatre-released movie = 15 hours.
Longest non theatre-released movie = 153 hours.
Longest movie theatre-released (in parts) = 27 hours.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Top
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »