Forum Settings
Forums

Over analyzing an anime to an unreasonable level

New
Jul 13, 2016 3:50 AM

Dec 2015
I know some ppl love analyzing animus but some ppl just REALLY overdo it to a point where it gets disturbing. Like for example if stopping the animu and spotting a less detailed face, one can go like *oh no this is bad, that side characters face over there isnt detailed enough, thats definitely a minus in my book* etc

Its even worse if u literally just sit there, watch an anime for 20+ minutes and question every lil shit thats displayed in front of you , whether it be the animation, artstyle, plot or character decisions and the events that happen. How can this be enjoyable when instead of just watching and enjoying the show u analyze it to an absurd level? Is this really the way ppl should watch anime?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 13, 2016 3:52 AM

Jan 2015
Believe it or not, some people don't like to just sit there and watch it without complaints.
Jul 13, 2016 3:58 AM

Jun 2014
Just sit there and watch it without bitching. It might be explained later on. But after watching an anime and not liking it, you can talk about it however you want, cause it's called opinion.

Personally, I analyze it after watching it completely, not just after each episode or so.
Jul 13, 2016 4:00 AM
Nov 2009
If I don't like something I just stop watching. The weird thing with anime fans is a lot of them tend to keep watching things they don't really like. Of course they are allowed to voice their opinions but it makes absolutely no fucking sense to keep watching something you don't like
I am me, we are we
Jul 13, 2016 4:03 AM

May 2015
that sounds incredibly annoying in a group viewing, unless you're all laughing at it.
edit: like ur watching citizen kane - the anime, and the guy's points out fascinating facts like " no was around to hear rosebud!" throughout the movie.
ashfrliebertJul 13, 2016 6:14 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jul 13, 2016 4:05 AM

Dec 2015
ashfrliebert said:
that sounds incredibly annoying in a group viewing, unless you're all laughing at it.

I didnt even think of it like that xD
Can u imagine how awful that would be? Like daymn xD
Jul 13, 2016 4:09 AM
Sep 2015
people like those are the ones who think they are SUPERIOR to others.
Jul 13, 2016 4:11 AM

Jun 2016
I just watch the anime and if I like it, it's good. If I don't like it, it's bad.

Really simple lmao.
Jul 13, 2016 4:15 AM
Aug 2015
Did you mean the Neon Genesis Evangelion fandom?
Jul 13, 2016 4:16 AM
Feb 2016
People can watch anime however they want... Personally, an animation mistake like a "less detailed face" can be quite annoying. :/
Jul 13, 2016 4:19 AM

Jun 2012
And why would you even be bothered by other opinions?

such disturbing thoughts from anyone is common whether you like it or not.
Jul 13, 2016 4:21 AM

Dec 2014
Some people have standards? Why should that be a problem. Let them watch an anime how they want to.
Jul 13, 2016 4:21 AM
Jan 2016
Who are you to criticize how other people enjoy anime? If I think the animation is bad, if I think the plot is inconsistent, if I think the characters are annoying, if I think the soundtrack is dumb, then I'll say so, and that doesn't make me any better or worse than you.
Jul 13, 2016 4:24 AM
Nov 2009
I think what they are saying is people continue to watch the show even if they don't like it which is just fucking ridiculous and seems to be limited to the anime community. So many lists consist of 3s 4s and 5s and they have completed the entire show. If it's that shit just stop fucking watching it
I am me, we are we
Jul 13, 2016 4:29 AM

Oct 2015
Digibro's "analysis" of k-on! is the epitome of this

Personally I analyse stuff as I watch an anime, but only in the broad sense, I won't nitpick every little thing.
Jul 13, 2016 4:31 AM

Jul 2015
I think that is just anyone who tries anything they obviously dislike.
Jul 13, 2016 4:32 AM

Jan 2015
Lobinde said:

Personally I analyse stuff as I watch an anime, but only in the broad sense, I won't nitpick every little thing.

Digi was reaching at quite a few parts of K-On! but he wasn't really picking out the flaws of it. What OP is referring to is more of his series on Asterisk War overanalysis.
Jul 13, 2016 4:34 AM

Oct 2015
Paramvir said:
Lobinde said:

Digi was reaching at quite a few parts of K-On! but he wasn't really picking out the flaws of it. What OP is referring to is more of his series on Asterisk War overanalysis.

His analysis of K-on was almost entirely made out of praise but he was overanalysing it just the same, starting to talk about stuff that isn't even close to being related to k-on

but yes the OP was talking about nitpicking, I just wanted to provide an example of the opposite
Jul 13, 2016 4:53 AM

Dec 2015
DubstepKazoo said:
Who are you to criticize how other people enjoy anime? If I think the animation is bad, if I think the plot is inconsistent, if I think the characters are annoying, if I think the soundtrack is dumb, then I'll say so, and that doesn't make me any better or worse than you.

Well thats all reasonable but when u watch sht like that and literally make an anime watching into a analyze-fest, can u really enjoy anything at that point? That is why im asking this in the first place. Ofc ur allowed to voice ur opinion but im not talking about that really.
Digibro is a great example of overanalyzis and sure, he can do whatever dafuq he wants but im asking really if u can enjoy stuff when watching it like that...
Jul 13, 2016 4:54 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
If the character designs don't give the characters realistic, human noses then it's objectively a shit anime

Noses are the most important part of anime tbh

Jul 13, 2016 5:03 AM

Aug 2015
Zaphkiel_El_Rem said:
And why would you even be bothered by other opinions?
People are free to analyze and have opinions on anime as much as they want. But when they START overreacting and bitching about it in the forums, that's where the hard part starts.

I mean, you hated it? OK. But what's the point of trying to ruin other's enjoyment?

I'm not totally against it. When the flaw is obvious, it's a given that people will complain. But when you start overly doing it, that's when shit starts getting bad!Even more if your complaint don't make any sense.

Example : Saying "too much ecchi" in an ecchi anime and rating it bad. I mean, it already got the ecchi tag, so what did you expect?
Jul 13, 2016 5:23 AM
Jan 2016
Robiiii said:
DubstepKazoo said:

Well thats all reasonable but when u watch sht like that and literally make an anime watching into a analyze-fest, can u really enjoy anything at that point? That is why im asking this in the first place. Ofc ur allowed to voice ur opinion but im not talking about that really.
Digibro is a great example of overanalyzis and sure, he can do whatever dafuq he wants but im asking really if u can enjoy stuff when watching it like that...

I can absolutely enjoy things. If you look at my list, most of my scores are a six or higher, and I've given a lot more tens than I probably should have. It just means I don't enjoy absolutely EVERYTHING.
Jul 13, 2016 5:32 AM

Jan 2015
On_the_Lam said:

That must of taken you a whole of 2 seconds to come up with, nice one.
Jul 13, 2016 5:34 AM

Dec 2015
On_the_Lam said:

Whats so special about NGE? Tell me ples :3
Jul 13, 2016 5:38 AM
Nov 2009
Interestingn story, I worked with spike spencer at an anime convention in my home town when he was a special guest, as like a guest handler making sure he got to where he needed to be. He was one funny mother fucker, a really cool dude and he fucking hated shinji lol he didn't really care for anime at all though
I am me, we are we
Jul 13, 2016 5:44 AM

May 2016
tl;dr: OP got salty because [insert youtuber here] criticised an anime they like
Jul 13, 2016 6:18 AM

May 2016
Robiiii said:
On_the_Lam said:

Nothing, its just another overrated garbage.
Jul 13, 2016 6:19 AM

Jan 2013
This is every 'critic' on this site who thinks their opinion means something. It comes off as a waste of time to me. You didn't like the show? Great, move on and stop complaining about it weeks after its ended.
Jul 13, 2016 6:39 AM

May 2015
it doesn't matter until they go off and start telling people that a show is good/bad because of it.

Major123 said:
This is every 'critic' on this site who thinks their opinion means something. It comes off as a waste of time to me. You didn't like the show? Great, move on and stop complaining about it weeks after its ended.

the problem with your statement is that if people should stop complaining after it ends then people should also stop praising it after it ends, and if that happens, discussion about anything that isn't currently airing is null.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 13, 2016 6:41 AM

Dec 2015
animezinghayden said:
If I don't like something I just stop watching. The weird thing with anime fans is a lot of them tend to keep watching things they don't really like. Of course they are allowed to voice their opinions but it makes absolutely no fucking sense to keep watching something you don't like

This is pretty much what I do too. Unless its something like Big Order where everyone was having a good laugh at its expense or Mayoiga.
Jul 13, 2016 6:42 AM
Aug 2015
Status_Effect said:
On_the_Lam said:

That must of taken you a whole of 2 seconds to come up with, nice one.

Seeing how we both have NGE in our favorites, it's very clear to see which one of us is the biased fan.

Robiiii said:
On_the_Lam said:

You need to see it to believe it. Just be prepared to either hate it with all your heart, or adore it.
archaaiJul 13, 2016 6:45 AM
Jul 13, 2016 6:43 AM

May 2016
Lisbon said:
If the character designs don't give the characters realistic, human noses then it's objectively a shit anime

Confirmed: Vision of Escaflowne is GOAT.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 13, 2016 6:49 AM

Nov 2015
Still better than the "echchi is bad4u" crowd.
Jul 13, 2016 6:53 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Robiiii said:
Its even worse if u literally just sit there, watch an anime for 20+ minutes and question every lil shit thats displayed in front of you

Those are pretty reasonable things to analyze, though. I do get the general idea that analyzing minutiae is a waste of time, but unless you¡'re a youtuber that needs to put out content regularly, I don't think most viewers engage in that level of mental masturbation.
Jul 13, 2016 7:10 AM

Dec 2015
Kouun said:
tl;dr: OP got salty because [insert youtuber here] criticised an anime they like

No not really. I also fucking hate Asterisk Wars, for example, but the way he analyzes it looked really stupid imo but ppl dig so i guess its not that bad.
Im pretty sure if he had a reason he would analyze ur fav anime to the core and dig up shit that u might have missed. 100%
Jul 13, 2016 7:19 AM

May 2015
Analyzing anime can be a lot of fun, actually. You start to notice tons of little details, themes and such things. I wouldn't enjoy anime if I didn't think about them. Analyzing them, realizing the unique things they do is why I enjoy them.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 13, 2016 7:33 AM

Nov 2012
RainyRai said:

Major123 said:

the problem with your statement is that if people should stop complaining after it ends then people should also stop praising it after it ends, and if that happens, discussion about anything that isn't currently airing is null.

Not really? just because you see one type of reaction as pointless doesn't mean you have to view other points of view to the same standard as well.

Is it perfectly natural to want to only hear positive feelings from people around you.

I mean there are anime I clearly dislike but I think it's more beneficial personally to think about why I enjoy the stuff I like instead.
Jul 13, 2016 8:10 AM

May 2016
Nagirah said:
Robiiii said:

No not really. I also fucking hate Asterisk Wars, for example, but the way he analyzes it looked really stupid imo but ppl dig so i guess its not that bad.
Im pretty sure if he had a reason he would analyze ur fav anime to the core and dig up shit that u might have missed. 100%

I actually enjoyed that video series purely for the sake of comedic value and I haven't even seen Asterisk.

I enjoyed it because it's almost like watching the series with someone else, and watching a reprehensibly-shitty series with someone else is infinitely more tolerable than watching it alone. Also, seeing garbage get its asshole ripped open is immensely satisfying.

Jul 13, 2016 8:14 AM

May 2015
If the analysis is well done there's no overdoing it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2016 8:32 AM

May 2015
SuperRed said:
RainyRai said:

Not really? just because you see one type of reaction as pointless doesn't mean you have to view other points of view to the same standard as well.

Is it perfectly natural to want to only hear positive feelings from people around you.

I mean there are anime I clearly dislike but I think it's more beneficial personally to think about why I enjoy the stuff I like instead.

Yeah, but that's just double standards.
kamisama751 said:
Zelkiiro said:

Confirmed: Vision of Escaflowne is GOAT.

Confirmed: Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu is a masterpiece.

Confirmed: Katanagatari is the worst anime ever.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 13, 2016 9:00 AM

Jan 2013
RainyRai said:
it doesn't matter until they go off and start telling people that a show is good/bad because of it.

Major123 said:

I'm more accepting of too much praise. Constant complaining is just annoying in a way where it makes me wonder why people don't do something else in their free time.
Jul 13, 2016 9:08 AM
Sep 2015
It's only over-analyzing if the details they're referring to don't matter to the speaker or their direct audience.

People like Digibro do a ton of analysis, but it seems as though those details genuinely matter to him. Furthermore, if doing that much helps him better vet the animes he's going to watch, then more power to him. Hell, I might start doing it with the animes I watch
Jul 13, 2016 9:09 AM

May 2016
Major123 said:
RainyRai said:

I'm more accepting of too much praise. Constant complaining is just annoying in a way where it makes me wonder why people don't do something else in their free time.

Yes! How dare we demand that our entertainment be of higher quality! How DARE we!!

Jul 13, 2016 9:29 AM

Sep 2015
Eh, people can watch anime how they want, their loss if they spend hours on 1 episode
Jul 13, 2016 9:29 AM

Dec 2012
That's why I keep preaching is that "the only thing an anime needs to be is entertaining." People who over analyze stuff are missing the whole point of why an anime is created. Besides profit that is lol
Jul 13, 2016 10:12 AM
Sep 2013
I usually just follow all of the main characters' art style and the plot v.v
Jul 13, 2016 10:37 AM

Nov 2009
Lisbon said:

Says a poster with no visible nose on his/her avatar. ^_^

Robiiii said:
DubstepKazoo said:

Yes, one can enjoy a show by analyzing it. It's a different type of enjoyment to actually watching the show, of course, because it ruins the immersion and suspension of disbelief. I think TVtropes has a couple of articles about it, but I don't want to go here, because it's hard to leave.
Jul 13, 2016 10:41 AM

Feb 2010
Well, over-analyzing is basically a matter of perspective in the first place. One person might see overanalyzing where another person might see a normal in-depth analysis. It's all about what your goals and audience are. But it's stupid to expect anyone to care about it as much as you do, especially in casual discussions on a site like MAL. Super sophisticated arguments based on analysis like that just won't reach most people because it's irrelevant to their experience. And depending on the show, I can't fault them for that. Most of the time I'm just watching shows for the enjoyment myself.

It also depends on what the goal of analyzing an anime to that degree is. If it's just a method to create flaws so you have ammunition in an argument I usually don't take it very seriously. Most shows aren't meant to be analyzed like that and won't hold up so it's not hard to make almost anything seem bad if you're intent on analyzing it to that degree and with that outcome in mind. I see most criticism along those lines as irrelevant nitpicking.

There are definitely shows that WANT to be (over)analyzed though. I occasionally enjoy shows like that since they provide a very interesting viewing experience and there's always a lot to gain by using your brain creatively when interpreting what you see. Most shows like that are meant to be watched like that (just like most other shows are meant to not be watched like that) so in those cases I think most criticism that isn't willing to put in the analysis work is pretty irrelevant because that's clearly what the show is trying to make you do. Stuff like SEL, Concrete Revolutio or Ikuhara stuff fall into that category imo. Of course not all shows of this type are reliant on interpretation to the same degree. Some heavily rely on it to be able to make any sense out of them, others have enjoyable stories and characters even on the surface, but are well worth delving into deeper.

So in conclusion I'd say there are 3 different types of show, though the borders aren't clearly defined.
1. Those who shouldn't be (over)analyzed
2. Those that demand to be (over)analyzed
3. Those that allow to be (over)analyzed but don't require it
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 13, 2016 11:16 AM

Dec 2015
Pullman said:
Well, over-analyzing is basically a matter of perspective in the first place. One person might see overanalyzing where another person might see a normal in-depth analysis. It's all about what your goals and audience are. But it's stupid to expect anyone to care about it as much as you do, especially in casual discussions on a site like MAL. Super sophisticated arguments based on analysis like that just won't reach most people because it's irrelevant to their experience. And depending on the show, I can't fault them for that. Most of the time I'm just watching shows for the enjoyment myself.

It also depends on what the goal of analyzing an anime to that degree is. If it's just a method to create flaws so you have ammunition in an argument I usually don't take it very seriously. Most shows aren't meant to be analyzed like that and won't hold up so it's not hard to make almost anything seem bad if you're intent on analyzing it to that degree and with that outcome in mind. I see most criticism along those lines as irrelevant nitpicking.

There are definitely shows that WANT to be (over)analyzed though. I occasionally enjoy shows like that since they provide a very interesting viewing experience and there's always a lot to gain by using your brain creatively when interpreting what you see. Most shows like that are meant to be watched like that (just like most other shows are meant to not be watched like that) so in those cases I think most criticism that isn't willing to put in the analysis work is pretty irrelevant because that's clearly what the show is trying to make you do. Stuff like SEL, Concrete Revolutio or Ikuhara stuff fall into that category imo. Of course not all shows of this type are reliant on interpretation to the same degree. Some heavily rely on it to be able to make any sense out of them, others have enjoyable stories and characters even on the surface, but are well worth delving into deeper.

So in conclusion I'd say there are 3 different types of show, though the borders aren't clearly defined.
1. Those who shouldn't be (over)analyzed
2. Those that demand to be (over)analyzed
3. Those that allow to be (over)analyzed but don't require it

Alright well that really opened my eyes in a way i would never think of. Thank you, this really gave me an insight on things from a different perspective. I also feel rather special when a mod comments on my thread <3
Jul 13, 2016 12:59 PM

Dec 2012
Over analyzing kills any show to death. I wouldn't enjoy anything if I did that, and if your entertainment isn't enjoyable then watching it is pointless.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why were children’s anime dubs so unappreciated?

funtime43_tr - Today

24 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

29 by 0arche »»
14 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

92 by Dracowyn »»
17 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 15

84 by Spunkert »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 5 hours ago

22 by NubFix »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.