Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 11, 2016 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Howard Link is funny, his brief segments this episode made me laugh more than expected.

Comedy is pretty funny. We got the thief kid and a high level Akuma making an appearance to contrast the mood. Action is pretty solid. Still getting used to the voices though but for the majority, I think the episode was fun. Be aware of Akumas~
Jul 11, 2016 10:03 AM

Sep 2011
Good balance of comedy and action this episode. Turned into dolls like it was nothing, though it doesn't seem like they're dead despite being turned into so. Level 2, 3, and even a level 4 Angel Akuma appears. Shits going down.

In the end, I'm glad they're pushing this arc faster. It's the worst of them all and I want more of the latest arcs with the Noah to come into play (Which it will).
TyrelJul 11, 2016 5:03 PM
Jul 11, 2016 10:10 AM
Jul 2016
This episode managed the balance just fine for anime only, manga readers would see this episode heavily rushed though
Jul 11, 2016 10:12 AM

Sep 2011
ItNeverEnds14 said:
This episode managed the balance just fine for anime only, manga readers would see this episode heavily rushed though
169-176. To be honest, even as a manga reader it didn't seem rushed to me.
Jul 11, 2016 12:05 PM
Apr 2014
Tyrel said:
ItNeverEnds14 said:
169-176. To be honest, even as a manga reader it didn't seem rushed to me.

But they pretty much brushed over the first chapter of the phantom G arc
So I don't agree with u it was to some extent rushed
Jul 11, 2016 12:14 PM

Jun 2009
liked it soo far much better than the first and cant wait for more finally dgm hype is back for me
Jul 11, 2016 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
Even though it may have seemed rushed almost every important detail was covered to a decent degree so I'm perfectly fine with the pacing, at this rate we will be done with the Phantom G arc next episode and move into Alma Karma. Seems like they will cover the entire Alma Karma arc at the least at this rate.
Jul 11, 2016 12:22 PM

Mar 2008
It was an alright episode.

Once you get to the point of knowing it's not going to be as good as the original you can just ride out the episode. Certainly moving along. Hopefully it won't be too rushed which was a concern going into only a 13 episode season.

But, I don't think they've gotten to that point yet.
Jul 11, 2016 12:22 PM
Apr 2014
ynat11 said:
Even though it may have seemed rushed almost every important detail was covered to a decent degree so I'm perfectly fine with the pacing, at this rate we will be done with the Phantom G arc next episode and move into Alma Karma. Seems like they will cover the entire Alma Karma arc at the least at this rate.

We should just call it the third exorcist arc for people who don't know who alma is and end up looking him up and spoiling it for themselves
Jul 11, 2016 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
franky3121 said:
ynat11 said:

We should just call it the third exorcist arc for people who don't know who alma is and end up looking him up and spoiling it for themselves

I suppose so, though its kinda dumb to look up the arc name if you don't want to be spoiled especially since we don't know who Alma Karma is yet xD
Jul 11, 2016 12:29 PM
May 2015
Phantom G was boring as fuck anyway. Glad they only spared it a few minutes.
Jul 11, 2016 12:31 PM

Sep 2011
NoValueNobs said:
It's still going into the next episode lol.

Anyway, with this pacing it seems like we're going to get far into the manga. Prob going to end @ seed of destruction arc... When I think about it, that seems a bit too fast.
Jul 11, 2016 12:46 PM

Dec 2014
That was a good episode.

Cross seems to have gone missing. Also was it me or did they use some of the original OST in the beginning and in the PV for the next episode?

Seems like a new Innocence retrieval arc, I began reading the manga recently so I've had nothing but innocence capture arcs xD

Interesting that all types of Akuma showed up from Level 2 all the way up to 4.
Link got turned into a doll, Sad he couldn't break the 6sec :(
Jul 11, 2016 12:49 PM

Jan 2012
It was quite rushed.... Even though I read the manga years ago, I still felt the pacing was off.

I also thought the art style/animation felt even sloppier than last ep...
Jul 11, 2016 1:01 PM
Jul 2018
Tyrel said:

Anyway, with this pacing it seems like we're going to get far into the manga. Prob going to end @ seed of destruction arc... When I think about it, that seems a bit too fast.

Seems fairly possible considering the pacing so far it is unlikely they will take 10 episodes to cover the the next arc unless they completely change the pace of the show for it. Also the end of the seed of destruction arc seems like the best stopping point for the show until it gets another continuation possibly.
Jul 11, 2016 1:13 PM

Sep 2011
ynat11 said:
Tyrel said:

Seems fairly possible considering the pacing so far it is unlikely they will take 10 episodes to cover the the next arc unless they completely change the pace of the show for it. Also the end of the seed of destruction arc seems like the best stopping point for the show until it gets another continuation possibly.
I've noticed they changed a lot of the things from the manga (Like it's not 1:1). While everything is still following the story, it's not exactly how it was done in the manga. Not sure why they're doing that, but yeah... I think it's possible for them to get there.
Jul 11, 2016 1:36 PM
Jul 2018
Tyrel said:
I've noticed they changed a lot of the things from the manga (Like it's not 1:1). While everything is still following the story, it's not exactly how it was done in the manga. Not sure why they're doing that, but yeah... I think it's possible for them to get there.

It's mostly rearranging of scenes and the skipping of smaller character details and minor dialogue. The rearranging is seeming to be used as a way to quickly summarize details and scenes that they are skipping so they can keep pacing to reach their end goal ,whether it be the Alma Karma arc end or the seed of destruction arc end. I'm fine with everything that has been done so far to adjust for the whole "13 episodes" factor.
Jul 11, 2016 2:07 PM

Jun 2009
only thing i hate in totall is op and ed loved each and everyone of first season and now a let down
Jul 11, 2016 2:12 PM

Aug 2014
We only have 13 eps and we need to focus on a kid 2 of them,why couldn't it be sorted out in one?This is a bad joke

Tyrel said:
NoValueNobs said:

Anyway, with this pacing, it seems like we're going to get far into the manga. Prob going to end @ seed of destruction arc... When I think about it, that seems a bit too fast.

For me the pacing is awfully slow,this episode aside from the first 5 minutes was pointless
TyrelJul 11, 2016 2:23 PM
Jul 11, 2016 2:24 PM

Sep 2011
kalim432 said:
We only have 13 eps and we need to focus on a kid 2 of them,why couldn't it be sorted out in one?This is a bad joke

Tyrel said:

Anyway, with this pacing, it seems like we're going to get far into the manga. Prob going to end @ seed of destruction arc... When I think about it, that seems a bit too fast.

For me the pacing is awfully slow,this episode aside from the first 5 minutes was pointless
Considering they did double the chapters almost... It's not really slow. Tbh, if they went any faster, we'd go past into the manga's current arc... Which is a no go.
Jul 11, 2016 2:25 PM

Nov 2013
They skipped like 1-2 ch. , skipped many details and did some changes on phantom thief G arc. They did like 6-7 ch. in 1 episode. Also theres no lv 2 akuma in the manga if i remember right it was the director who kidnapped Timothy.
Jul 11, 2016 2:34 PM

Jul 2007
Pacing is still somewhat okay even though not spending full two episodes on Cross arc felt disjointed.

They did rush the Phantom Thief arc as expected, which is for the best since it was kind of annoying overall. But that also left the episode feeling very disjointed and frantic. Its clear everything till Third Exorcists arc is just an afterthought to the production staff. Gotta appease dem fujoshis I guess.

The animation continues to be barely serviceable. Lots of off-model faces, stiff fighting sequences, etc.

Like MR Harward Wink here:

Its especially jarring because some sequences look hellasweet and then it transitions into very poorly done ones. And the upped saturation still feels off.

Voicework on other hand remains great. Allen sounds perfect as do most of other characters. I actually don't even notice that much of difference. In fact Allen's VA perfectly captures Allen's ambiguity and the clown-like behavior and mood shifts that are prevalent in his character.
Jul 11, 2016 2:42 PM

Aug 2014
Fai said:
Pacing is still somewhat okay even though not spending full two episodes on Cross arc felt disjointed.

They did rush the Phantom Thief arc as expected, which is for the best since it was kind of annoying overall. But that also left the episode feeling very disjointed and frantic. It's clear everything till Third Exorcists arc is just an afterthought to the production staff. Gotta appeases dem fujoshi's I guess.

The animation continues to be barely serviceable. Lots of off-model faces, stiff fighting sequences, etc.

Like MR Harward Wink here:

It's especially jarring because some sequences look hella sweet and then it transitions into very poorly done ones. And the upped saturation still feels off.

Voicework on other hand remains great. Allen sounds perfect as do most of other characters. I actually don't even notice that much of difference. In fact Allen's VA perfectly captures Allen's ambiguity and the clown-like behavior and mood shifts that are prevalent in his character.

Maybe this is why I felt the episode was pointless,you begin great and then turns into a a joke/.
Jul 11, 2016 2:54 PM
Jul 2018
Lyrisia said:
It was quite rushed.... Even though I read the manga years ago, I still felt the pacing was off.

I also thought the art style/animation felt even sloppier than last ep...

this.
I just finished rereading the whole manga so now i remember pretty well how things really go in the chapters and oh my god everything was... so rushed it almost pained me? they did keep p much all the 'important' things but man.... i mean i guess i can understand that they're trying to show as much plot as possible in just 13 episodes but still, being a dgm fan this pacing kinda pisses me off :/ I just hope they wont rush the alma arc this much

anyway at least Timothy is finally here, i like him a lot

and about the drawings and the animation, ughh.... with the exception of the close ups of the characters faces everything looks just so ugly... i'm sorry i'm complaining this much but i had such high hopes after all that beautiful promotional art.... it really felt worse than last ep
Jul 11, 2016 3:06 PM

Jan 2015
Could someone tell me tho why did the silver change to red in the uniforms? Liked the silver more tbh :(
Jul 11, 2016 3:16 PM

Jan 2016
That cliffhanger was mean. Great episode. Loving some of the visuals, not sure about others.
Jul 11, 2016 3:46 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Some of the art was so lackluster at times. And I don't even need to look at the manga to realize how many chapters were adapted. IIRC, they adapted 7-8 chapter, though the key points were focused on so I guess it's not too bad. I never really liked the Phantom Thief arc, but the anime should've adapted it properly. By the look of the episode count, they might adapt up to
Jul 11, 2016 3:58 PM

Feb 2013
They are in a lot of trouble.
Jul 11, 2016 4:07 PM

Jan 2008
Quality jumps and drops all over but still enjoyable so far. Don't particularly mind if they rush this arc, it wasn't anything special.
Jul 11, 2016 4:19 PM

Mar 2015
They made some cuts and changes, but still was good to watch
Jul 11, 2016 4:27 PM

Mar 2014
I love Link. He's such a badass.
Jul 11, 2016 4:39 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I think I know why I felt that Allen feels off, it's not actually due to the VA change, but the lack of keigo? Since I just finished the first season before this, I remember noticing that he spoke in keigo, but he's speaks casually now in this season. I wouldn't know though if this is faithful to Allen's character in the manga since I neither read it, or would have read it in Japanese... but I feel better knowing why Allen doesn't feel the same to me. It would make sense though given the whole Fourteenth thing, and plus, last episode we saw that he wasn't the most polite child anyways.

Level 4 akuma already huh :/ And that level 2 has a really good ability. Mari though, cutting off his fingers D: Timothy is a brat, but I suppose after seeing what the akuma are capable of and what they've done to people he cares about, he will gather determination and become an exorcist.
Jul 11, 2016 4:54 PM
Jul 2016
tingy said:
I think I know why I felt that Allen feels off, it's not actually due to the VA change, but the lack of keigo? Since I just finished the first season before this, I remember noticing that he spoke in keigo, but he's speaks casually now in this season. I wouldn't know though if this is faithful to Allen's character in the manga since I neither read it, or would have read it in Japanese... but I feel better knowing why Allen doesn't feel the same to me. It would make sense though given the whole Fourteenth thing, and plus, last episode we saw that he wasn't the most polite child anyways.

It's a character development point, but only reveal afterward.
Notice Cross's line "Drop that Mana's mask" and how Allen (the kid with short brown hair) behaved

Also, it has nothing to do with the 14th
Jul 11, 2016 5:01 PM

Sep 2011
Kakuja21 said:
They skipped like 1-2 ch. , skipped many details and did some changes on phantom thief G arc. They did like 6-7 ch. in 1 episode. Also theres no lv 2 akuma in the manga if i remember right it was the director who kidnapped Timothy.
Wrong. There was level 2 Akuma in the manga. A lot of the changes were fine. This arc is probably one of the worst in the lastest of arcs.
Jul 11, 2016 5:03 PM

Jul 2007
tingy said:
I think I know why I felt that Allen feels off, it's not actually due to the VA change, but the lack of keigo? Since I just finished the first season before this, I remember noticing that he spoke in keigo, but he's speaks casually now in this season. I wouldn't know though if this is faithful to Allen's character in the manga since I neither read it, or would have read it in Japanese... but I feel better knowing why Allen doesn't feel the same to me. It would make sense though given the whole Fourteenth thing, and plus, last episode we saw that he wasn't the most polite child anyways. .

He is supposed to be more different and more damaged in a way(or more like showing more of that instead of smiling at everything politely and trying to be like Mana). And that has nothing to do with 14th. Dude's just been through A LOT of shit. The different speech and behavior patterns contribute to showing that.

We are talking about dude who in just few months of time pretty much got dead, found out about Suman, got involved with the whole 14th business having to doubt himself. lived through the order being attacked and now found out Cross being part of conspiracy AND Cross most likely being dead, on top of that being viewed as a threat by his own allies now.

He is done hiding behind the safety of Mana's smile. Every clown no matter how good breaks a character at some point in time. Allen simply chose to stop smiling all the time and embraced himself. When the thing you trust the least is yourself - you seek comfort in who you truly are. In this case we are seeing the real Allen.
AhenshihaelJul 11, 2016 5:12 PM
Jul 11, 2016 5:05 PM

Dec 2015
tingy said:

Level 4 akuma already huh :/ And that level 2 has a really good ability. Mari though, cutting off his fingers D: Timothy is a brat, but I suppose after seeing what the akuma are capable of and what they've done to people he cares about, he will gather determination and become an exorcist.

This is character development. Allen is behaving like he used to. The super polite submissive Allen is what he turned into after Mana passed away. And that is why Cross left that message, telling him to stop wearing Mana's mask. He wants Allen to be himself, the real Allen -back before the ordeal with Mana. So now, he's dropping the extra polite facade, because that's all it was. That's how Mana is, not Allen. And Cross knows that.
Jul 11, 2016 5:10 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
ItNeverEnds14 said:

Notice Cross's line "Drop that Mana's mask" and how Allen (the kid with short brown hair) behaved

Fai said:

He is supposed to be more different and more damaged in a way. And that has nothing to do with 14th. Dude's just been through A LOT of shit. The different speech and behavior patterns contribute to that.

SilverWolf442 said:
This is character development. Allen is behaving like he used to. The super polite submissive Allen is what he turned into after Mana passed away. And that is why Cross left that message, telling him to stop wearing Mana's mask. He wants Allen to be himself, the real Allen -back before the ordeal with Mana. So now, he's dropping the extra polite facade, because that's all it was. That's how Mana is, not Allen. And Cross knows that.

Ah, I see, thanks everyone ^^ Well it was just a guess as to a possible explanation. I had a feeling it might be revealed later on. It's just a lot more noticeable given that he still spoke in keigo until the last episode of season 1. But I know there's a short-ish time skip between the two seasons.
Jul 11, 2016 5:21 PM

Jun 2013
People here are bitching for the sake of bitching and making stuff up to make this look worse than it really is.
Jul 11, 2016 5:28 PM

Aug 2012
Yeah I dunno why anybody cares about Timothy and Phantom G arc. If anything the transition between Cross and this was a little jarring, but the impacting scenes are there. Same will apply for Allen and Link in the next episode, they're doing this as fast as they need to but not leaving anything important behind. Let's just get this over with and get these Noah introduced lol, I need Road <3

tingy said:
ItNeverEnds14 said:

Fai said:

He is supposed to be more different and more damaged in a way. And that has nothing to do with 14th. Dude's just been through A LOT of shit. The different speech and behavior patterns contribute to that.

SilverWolf442 said:

Ah, I see, thanks everyone ^^ Well it was just a guess as to a possible explanation. I had a feeling it might be revealed later on. It's just a lot more noticeable given that he still spoke in keigo until the last episode of season 1. But I know there's a short-ish time skip between the two seasons.
Also they did address this in the first ep when Lenalee and Lavi commented on him speaking less formal to them. Huge developmental point for Allen going forward, because of that characterization before the events that are about to unfold, I was able to appreciate Allen's character so much more.
Jul 11, 2016 5:33 PM

Dec 2015
AlexTheRiot said:
Yeah I dunno why anybody cares about Timothy and Phantom G arc. If anything the transition between Cross and this was a little jarring, but the impacting scenes are there. Same will apply for Allen and Link in the next episode, they're doing this as fast as they need to but not leaving anything important behind. Let's just get this over with and get these Noah introduced lol, I need Road <3

Well I hate how they left out the scene where Komui and the other generals study

As for the arc, I don't really care much about Timothy. But it's still a shame everything has been so rushed with 12 chapters gone in 2 episodes.

But yeah. Seems they're just trying to hurry and get to Kanda's story, and possibly the Noah.
TyrelJul 11, 2016 11:01 PM
Jul 11, 2016 5:47 PM

Aug 2012
SilverWolf442 said:
AlexTheRiot said:

Well I hate how they left out the scene where Komui and the other generals study

As for the arc, I don't really care much about Timothy. But it's still a shame everything has been so rushed with 12 chapters gone in 2 episodes.

But yeah. Seems they're just trying to hurry and get to Kanda's story, and possibly the Noah.
True, but that's always something that can be added in later(not that it'd be the best move but yeah..) as there will certainly be opportunities where it can fit.

I totally agree, it's just I got pretty apathetic about the adaptation as a whole after the episode count was released(paired with my Rewrite apathy) so I'm pretty much putting all my bets on Alma Karma which is what the staff seems to be doing.
TyrelJul 11, 2016 11:01 PM
Jul 11, 2016 8:24 PM

Dec 2013
Enjoyable episode. This episode made me like Link a lot more.

Seems like they really need some help right now.
Jul 11, 2016 8:29 PM

Oct 2011
ohh a new innocence. Level 2 3 4 akuma omg
Jul 11, 2016 9:38 PM

Apr 2012
I am so not a fan of the way they are coloring the Akuma in this. Whose idea was it to go from dark gritty colors to blinding red and gold anyways?
Jul 11, 2016 9:44 PM
Jan 2013
I don't at all remember how the plot went in the manga as I've haven't read it for so long, not to mention that super confusing bit before the hiatus, but I feel like I'm watching something very wishy washy? Like it tries to be funny but doesn't carry through. To be blunt, it's pretty bland.

I also feel like a lot of the VAs roles would work better if they were able to be more open or had clearer instructions? I can't say for sure :/ Like at times I think, the VA sounds good here, but majority of the time I really don't. The entire Timothy and Link and switching hosts part got me confused with who was talking but I was probably just tired. And what is with Hallow's girls' voices? So far there's only Lenalee and the girl in this episode but they both sound really weak and immature.

Quality of the animation.... well it's nothing we haven't seen before.
Jul 11, 2016 10:10 PM
Apr 2014
Tim's arc is good! The animation just doesn't show how dark it should been!
Animation is honestly too colorful for this season where it's heading into possibly the darkest arc in the series
Jul 11, 2016 11:49 PM
Aug 2011
I'm kind of glad we're going quicker through this part since i'm not a big fan of this Phantom Thief G stuff but I loved "Allen" crying though haha.

chuuuuxx said:
but I feel like I'm watching something very wishy washy? Like it tries to be funny but doesn't carry through.

Well it's not really changing anything as far as the more comedic bits go. Sadly I think it's one of those things that usually work better in manga form.
Jul 11, 2016 11:52 PM

Apr 2008
FateHero said:
I am so not a fan of the way they are coloring the Akuma in this. Whose idea was it to go from dark gritty colors to blinding red and gold anyways?

^
Yeah, god damn. Why couldn't they just use the color palettes from the original. I guess its easier to put bright as fuck colors so you don't need to bother as much with shading?
Jul 12, 2016 12:15 AM

Jul 2015
While pacing might be fast I'm, still enjoying this. my only complaint is that why do the animations seem a bit laggy? or is it my imagination only? I, mean you can't blame them it's only 13 episode, but why not 24 episodes or atleast 2 cours.
Jul 12, 2016 1:02 AM

Apr 2016
Man, they really have a hard time against a Level 4 Akuma.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2016

131 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2016

64 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 1:12 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2016

82 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2016

71 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:06 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2016

359 by iamnameers »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.