Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sweetness and Lightning
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2016 9:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another very adorable episode! This time, we get to see what Tsumugi does in her spare time with her friends and others. Really charming. The relationship between Tsumugi and her father retains the realism as expected.

The food of the week looked both artistic with the style and tasty.

I WANT TO PROTECT THIS SMILE.

Jul 11, 2016 9:31 AM

Nov 2007
Start cooking. Nice try for beginner. The teacher is awkward, though, since he doesn't know if he should get involved in specific student too deeply. Another teacher suggested to try to talk to Hayami-san's character's mother first. The little girl likes Hayami-san's character very much. Mother is spontaneous, though, but it gave them chance to cook and eat together.

Adding vegetable into the menu. Oh, so she's afraid of knife and such. They ended up separating konnyaku by hands together and use the decoration cutters. The girl also put pictures for fill out Hayami-san's character's loneliness. Soup this ep. Donjiru (lit. pork soup) also has vegetables and miso.
tsubasaloverJul 13, 2016 12:55 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 11, 2016 9:34 AM

Apr 2013
The second episode is so sweet as well!

I really like Kotori, she's such a sweet person. Though really I like all of the characters, they're all so sweet!!

This anime is so sweet! And the food looks really good as well~
It makes me want to learn how to cook as well...
Jul 11, 2016 10:20 AM

Apr 2010
Another nice episode.
Tsumugi seemed to be enjoying herself and it seems Sensei is also starting to enjoy things a bit more.
Looking forward to next week.
Jul 11, 2016 11:06 AM

Jan 2015
There's just too many "cuteness" in this episode compared the first one, which is PERFECT. I don't know if I can handle another episode of this cuteness. LOL
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jul 11, 2016 11:24 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Tsumugi and Kotori are such a cute duo, lovely.

That smile Tsumugi made when she tasted the food. It made her father really happy :)

Also i liked how the appearance of Kotori's mother got delayed. Is this implying that we should be excited for it? Maybe Tsumugi's father slowly falls for her!
SmudyJul 11, 2016 11:30 AM
Jul 11, 2016 11:31 AM
Mar 2015
Wow, I found this quite time ago that will air, something about food bla bla... I added it randomly to my list, saw it airing, watched 1ep, now 2ep...

ITS SO ENJOYABLE TO WATCH. WOW<3
Jul 11, 2016 11:32 AM

Jan 2012
So many blushing faces! XD The episode just flew on by this week. Wonderful once again, Tsumugi is a treasure. :)
Jul 11, 2016 11:43 AM

Dec 2015
This episode gave me kawaii overload :O! I am really enjoying this show. Also what the hell was up with Tsumugi's face when she put the apron on and was closing her eyes. It looks like she was having a seizure lol.

Poor Kotori-chan seems like a complicated and depressed girl. Hopefully this situation helps all 3 of them for the better which it seems like it is.
Jul 11, 2016 11:49 AM

Aug 2013
Yes. Definitely my top 3 of the season.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 11, 2016 11:53 AM

Sep 2015
Aaaah everything in this series is cute !
Kotori is cute, Tsumugi is cute as well (with the apron *o*)

I was waiting for too long for this episode ... I want mooooore
Jul 11, 2016 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
Another good episode!

So many blushing faces!

Kotori and Tsumugi were so cute in this episode. Tsumugi looked great in that apron!
Jul 11, 2016 11:57 AM

Jun 2014
Aww, man this episode was great. I didn't realize last episode, but Kotori is actually really lonely because her mother is often not home and she wanted desperately to be with someone, in the restaurant she loves so much, the fact that they highlighted her name written under the counter shows how much that place means to her. (we can also see she's pretty lonely because she eats alone at school, in a relatively hidden area). The cooking sessions they have together are a positive experience for both Kotori and Sensei. I really like how layered this show is, you think it's a cheerful show, but it's very sad in a lot of ways.
alpha_shadowJul 11, 2016 12:04 PM
:3
Jul 11, 2016 12:05 PM

Jul 2014
Cute episode again, but I hope that the mother not being able to be there won't become a running gag or anything of the sort, as it would just feel far, far too convenient to actually be realistic. Mind you, that's just a minor thing that ultimately doesn't mean a lot, so complaining about it too much would be pretty dumb.
Jul 11, 2016 12:06 PM

Aug 2010
Tsumugi's too lewd
Jul 11, 2016 12:07 PM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode, I love it. :D

Kotori and Tsumugi are so adorable, Sensei is a cool guy as well XD

They're doing a really good job on emphasizing how much Sensei cares about his daughter, Really well done.
Sensei feeling happy after Tsumugi said the food was great was such a heartwarming moment, Not to mention all those cute blushing faces <3
Only smiles from me.

Glad to see the dinner arrangement is working in favor of both Sensei and Kotori.

Jul 11, 2016 12:12 PM

Oct 2009
I really like both Kotori and Tsumugi, it's obvious that Kotori has some problems but Tsumugi will help her! ^^
Jul 11, 2016 12:17 PM

May 2010
rsc-pl said:

Absolutely in my top3 aswell.
Such a heartwarming show and the cuteness overkill is off the charts :D
Jul 11, 2016 12:22 PM
Dec 2015
Aah, Isnt it nice to have anime like this every season?
Looks damn adorable and cute.
Even opening is quite cute. Really liked the way the keep cooking (like a soft version of Shokugeki no souma XD)
Jul 11, 2016 12:22 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
After a hard hitting weekend with Berserk, Re:Zero and 91 Days, this show is like comforting food for the soul.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 11, 2016 12:37 PM

Aug 2015
Oh man... too cute... heartwarming... hugh... brp... blraaagraahh
Jul 11, 2016 12:48 PM

Sep 2010
Ah, this anime is so simple and yet it feels so great to watch it. Before I noticed I had a smile on my face and relaxed to no end.

Heh... there are so many series that ended up at my watching list this season but somehow before I started this episode, this series was already at the top. Looking back at it I was wondering whatever it's truly right to put it at ATOS, but after finishing this episode I don't feel like taking it anywhere from that position.
Jul 11, 2016 12:58 PM

Dec 2014
tsumugu is so kawai... I liked how she made a ridiculous pose while wearing the apron
Jul 11, 2016 1:16 PM

Jul 2015
Tsumugi and Kotori's smiles. The world's biggest and most beutiful smiles!!!
Jul 11, 2016 1:20 PM

Apr 2016
Tsumugi watched way too much Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Jul 11, 2016 1:28 PM

Mar 2011
Such adorable episode, loved Tsumugi's faces <3
Jul 11, 2016 1:29 PM

Jan 2015
Can't hide my disappointment after this episode. The first one was really good, but this one was just your average SoL.
Jul 11, 2016 1:46 PM

May 2012
LOL That wink. How adorable, Tsumugi. God damn, everytime Kouhei sees Tsumugi happy and almost cries, I get a tug at my chest.

So...Kotori seems to be having family problems, or she seems to be lonely since no one's there with her. Kouhei and Tsumugi to the rescue

Kotori's stupidly cute too

Jul 11, 2016 1:59 PM
Feb 2012
AvidAnimeViewer said:

Spot-on reaction, fine sir.

It may have been only my imagination but I feel like Tsumugi's seiyuu was toning it a down a bit for the second episode. The enthusiasm that could be heard last week was missing in this week's voice. Instead she seems to have been trying to put more emphasis on the cuteness.

Whatever the case, that's just me being overly picky. I thoroughly enjoyed the episode otherwise.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jul 11, 2016 2:03 PM

Aug 2015
Rachmaninow said:
AvidAnimeViewer said:

Spot-on reaction, fine sir.

It may have been only my imagination but I feel like Tsumugi's seiyuu was toning it a down a bit for the second episode. The enthusiasm that could be heard last week was missing in this week's voice. Instead she seems to have been trying to put more emphasis on the cuteness.

Whatever the case, that's just me being overly picky. I thoroughly enjoyed the episode otherwise.

It's a good relief after episode 15 of Re:Zero. Also I love Rina Endo, she has the best little girl voice I've ever heard. Shame she's only really been in Barakamon before.
Jul 11, 2016 2:04 PM

May 2015
Another heartwarming and splendid episode. This show is probably one of my favorites of this season so far. It's such a pain to wait a week, and like some others said, definitely a healing show after watching Re:Zero.

Jul 11, 2016 2:10 PM

Jul 2015
rsc-pl said:

Yes! It's amazing isn't !?
Jul 11, 2016 2:35 PM

Apr 2013
More cuteness :) honestly, this anime is more like Barakamon than Handa-kun, which really makes me like this anime. This episode answered my question from episode 1, which was "is there going to be anything other than cuteness?" It seems Kotori will probably have some interesting character development, and I enjoyed the conversation between the dad and the other teacher or principal or whoever that was.
Jul 11, 2016 2:40 PM

Jan 2014
danieltortoisee said:
I hope that the mother not being able to be there won't become a running gag or anything of the sort,
Olem said:
So...Kotori seems to be having family problems, or she seems to be lonely since no one's there with her.

I'm starting to suspect that Kotori's family troubles are a bit more severe than they're made out to be, and I doubt her mother actually wrote that letter. Either that, or her mother is having issues, like e.g. coping with depression causing her to close the restaurant, rather than "other work". I could be completely wrong though, maybe her mother is actually something of a celebrity chef, and Kotori is just struggling to impress her.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Jul 11, 2016 3:02 PM

Mar 2014
better than sokugeki soma. that anime never illustrates the cooking process in details
Jul 11, 2016 3:09 PM

Nov 2015
They didn't show Kotori eating in the clasroom! XD
I really like how the anime is being done so far, the OP and ED are lovely :)
Jul 11, 2016 3:25 PM
Jul 2018
A good show to watch and relax when you are tired, has a good vibe.
Jul 11, 2016 3:29 PM

Jul 2012
Looks like I'm getting used to Tsumugi's voice. Anyways, this was a really relaxing episode and it's really cute. I think I'll be enjoying this a lot more than I expected I would. Kinda interested in Kotori's family problems seems it's obviously affecting her a lot. My assumption is that she's just alone a lot really but who knows.
Jul 11, 2016 4:08 PM

Oct 2011
Barion-Zara said:
Tsumugi's too lewd

I was laughing so hard at this part, reminded me of Gugure kokkuri-san

Forum icon by Yandere

Jul 11, 2016 4:14 PM

Nov 2011
Damn, I'd become a master knife-cutter for Kotori. She's so sweet and fragile... This episode wasn't as intense as the first one, but I like this direction. Please, Sensei, take really good care of Kotori.

Pat her on the head, PLEASE!

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Jul 11, 2016 4:24 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode. The double cute face at the start is so freaking adorable.
Love how Kouhei is making an effort to cook a good meal for Tsumugi.

Tsumugi posing & making that face in an apron is funny & adorable at the same time.
The simple preparation of the food is just so lovely to see & real relaxing.
Kotori is afraid of knives. I wonder what happened.

The Pork soup & rice look so delicious. It's making me hungry.
Looking forward to seeing more delicious meals as well as other characters.
Santoryu_XBurnerJul 11, 2016 4:29 PM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jul 11, 2016 4:26 PM

Nov 2011
Enjoying this a quite a lot right now.

Watching a few more intense anime, so this is a really good contrast. Can easily just sit back, relax and watch this.

I wonder if we'll be introduced to the other characters from the OP soon. Hell, I'd really like to see the mother as well.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jul 11, 2016 4:59 PM
Jan 2014
That wink attempt was so cute. Ima die
Jul 11, 2016 5:36 PM

Dec 2013
Laionidas said:
danieltortoisee said:
I hope that the mother not being able to be there won't become a running gag or anything of the sort,
Olem said:
So...Kotori seems to be having family problems, or she seems to be lonely since no one's there with her.

I'm starting to suspect that Kotori's family troubles are a bit more severe than they're made out to be, and I doubt her mother actually wrote that letter. Either that, or her mother is having issues, like e.g. coping with depression causing her to close the restaurant, rather than "other work". I could be completely wrong though, maybe her mother is actually something of a celebrity chef, and Kotori is just struggling to impress her.

Go with your second assumption and you'll be alright. This entire show isn't meant to be super dramatic or anything. There's always an underlying current of feels, but it's not the "all the characters in this show have major issues" sort.

When reading the manga, I too felt like Kotori's mom being absent was sort of a running gag.... until she actually showed up and graced us with her presence. The author did well in letting this story build as organically as possible, so you'll get to meet other characters in and around Kouhei, Tsumugi and Kotori first. If the directors do this right, you will actually get to see her and feel out her presence and character long before even Kouhei and Tsumugi actually get to interact with her. This made her appearance all the more impactful when she did arrive on the scene in the manga. She is something of a local celebrity after all.

Just like how they planned to make hamburgers and spaghetti this time round, but in the end only managed the pork soup, you'll notice how things don't always turn out as planned on this show. But that's what makes the actual hamburger and spaghetti episodes even better (the anticipation).

Even in the manga, this episode of sorting out arrangements and asking for permission was a bit of a lull in the narrative, though still very fun to watch. Things sort of pick up after this, and I for one am looking forward to it. Am just glad so many other people have discovered and are enjoying this show as well.
L-RyoshiJul 11, 2016 5:39 PM
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 11, 2016 5:43 PM

Dec 2014
So much sweetness... I was grinning (not creepily, mind you) the entire episode.
I need sleep.
Jul 11, 2016 5:46 PM
Nov 2015
If Ms.Fujinuma from Erased is best mom then Kouhei is best dad. God, what a greaat guy
Jul 11, 2016 6:11 PM

Apr 2010
Barion-Zara said:
Tsumugi's too lewd

Series needs ecchi tag.
Jul 11, 2016 6:15 PM

Oct 2013
Another splendid episode.

The dynamic between Tsumgi and Kotori is adorable. Tsumgi is starting to look up to Kotori and she repeats Kotori's phrases here and there.

I get super hungry watching the characters prepare food.
Jul 11, 2016 6:30 PM

Jul 2010
Another great episode and the time just flew by.

Xenocrisi said:
Can't hide my disappointment after this episode. The first one was really good, but this one was just your average SoL.

Huh? there wasn't even that much difference from the first episode. Both same in quality imo
Jul 11, 2016 6:58 PM
Dec 2013
Tsumugi cuteness can rival Renge from Non Non Biyori
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2016

90 by Raizel »»
Mar 5, 11:59 AM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2016

117 by Raizel »»
Feb 23, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2016

310 by Raizel »»
Feb 15, 2:37 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2016

151 by Animeshnik012 »»
Jan 5, 6:17 AM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2016

64 by Amber_4shenfell »»
Jul 2, 2023 3:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.