Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (42) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2016 9:56 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The suffering continues ;_;, this was episode was more violent than I had expected. One thing I did really like is how it captures the fear on Subaru's face and Rem's struggle to fight for survival.

Crazy episode! Betelgeuse is insane. So much suffering for Subaru...

Jul 10, 2016 10:04 AM

Sep 2014
Damn........

This show keeps on getting better and better.

The hype for this arc is real!

Well done, WHITE FOX. You're forgiven from Akame ga Kill.
Jul 10, 2016 10:04 AM

Dec 2014
Absolutely stunning episode. Brutal, emotional, and magnificent.

This is one of the best LN adaptations I've seen.

EDIT: Betelgeuse's VA seems to be Matsuoka Yoshitsugu. I've never been impressed by him like now.
MezterJul 10, 2016 10:17 AM
Jul 10, 2016 10:09 AM

Jul 2014
Just when you thought it couldnt get any more brutal, it just fcking did by a landslide, Seeing the little girl that got her eye removed from her was already fkcing painful enough we then get to see Rem get her body twisted like a fcking marshmallow and crawl towards Subaru to remove the cuffs, this was by far the most painful and twisted episode of Zero, that dude with the Kirito voice must die, and not in a normal stab kind of way, the long and sweet taking your time type of death, the look that Subaru gave after his 2nd revival, those eyes tells us one thing "shit is about to go down... hard."

BTW, was that giant whatnot kind of creature Puck? so he basically killed Subaru 2x then? just wow, if he could have done that then how the fck did everyone got killed? and where the fck was Betty and the overpowered clown dude? werent they supposed to be strong enough to protect Emilia from those mobs?

10/10 for the episode! KEEP IT UP!
Jul 10, 2016 10:13 AM

Apr 2015
Well damn.

You can feel that Umehara is now at the script and that Tappei himself supervised this episode. This was beyond crushing...yes literally.

They did Betelgeuse perfectly. He is supposed to be that absolute insane and crazy. The sin archbishops are absolutely no joke.

And so the suffering begins.

Oh and by the way. The show has now new key visuals.

See this episode as the step into something entirely "new".

TyrelJul 10, 2016 10:21 AM
Jul 10, 2016 10:19 AM

May 2016
New web design

INCREDIBLE EPISODE.

I burst into tears at the end lmao.

Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jul 10, 2016 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
Holy fucking shit. I can't even think of anything else to say.
Jul 10, 2016 10:23 AM

Apr 2015
Lolimancer said:
Holy fucking shit. I can't even think of anything else to say.
Welcome to Re:Zero's true face. Now we're getting into the real deal.
Jul 10, 2016 10:24 AM

Apr 2014
Holy. Fucking. Shit.
The direction, OST, voice acting, those credits, everything was on point. They took my already high expectations and COMPLETELY blew them out of the water.
Was that Matsuoka I heard as Betelgeuse? I knew how could make his voice sound crazy but holy shit that was insane. Newfound respect for him.
And Subaru...oh man. His seiyuu is absolutely perfect. His reactions to everything (or lack thereof) where he is just a drooling madman, only grunting slightly at everything. He truly felt like an empty husk of a person. And when he was captured, those facial expressions, that desperate and primal screaming, that absolute despair. It was scary to see.
That scene where Rem was crawling towards him, and her completely mutilated body was slowly inching towards the screen. I was truly uncomfortable and heartbroken. No man ever wants to see that.
White Fox didn't hold back. Everything was brutal, disturbing, and honestly made me depressed. I feel drained right now after watching this.
It wasn't the greatest thing ever, and this is probably just a kneejerk reaction, but an anime episode hasn't made me feel like this in a long time.

However, I do have a problem with Betelgeuse. I know he's supposed to be deranged and over the top and make you feel scared and uncomfortable, but he was seriously TOO spastic and insane. I didn't even really feel scared, he was just funny to me and he made me laugh. Maybe I'll just have to wait for the subs, but seriously he was like an Akame ga Kill villain or something. For now though, he's an effective villain I guess...
HonguJul 10, 2016 10:28 AM
Jul 10, 2016 10:26 AM

Apr 2015
TeamDalaiLana said:
New web design

Look at Subaru's right leg. That is Emilia in the background!
Jul 10, 2016 10:29 AM

Jul 2014
Hongu said:

However, I do have a problem with Betelgeuse. I know he's supposed to be deranged and over the top and make you feel scared and uncomfortable, but he was seriously TOO spastic. I didn't even really feel scared, he was just funny to me and he made me laugh. Maybe I'll just have to wait for the subs, but seriously he was like an Akame ga Kill villain or something. For now though, he's an effective villain I guess...

Gotta agree with that fcking bastard not being scary at all, he was more like the Joker than anything, probably because of the VA, yes Matsunaga is good but he's voiced a lot of funny characters and that destroys it, the VA should have had a deep and dark voice, Sugita could have probably done a better job, he's voiced a lot of bad guys before.
Jul 10, 2016 10:30 AM

Jul 2014
Fappa said:
TeamDalaiLana said:
New web design

Look at Subaru's right leg. That is Emilia in the background!

oyeah, now that I take a closer look it is her, you can barely freaking see her which is ironic since we barely even saw her these past episodes lol.
Jul 10, 2016 10:52 AM

Jan 2016
Betelgeuse is terrifying as fuck holy shit
Jul 10, 2016 11:01 AM

Apr 2016
Fuck, I cry when Rem broke Subaru chains, god... I. This shit it's getting really brutal :c
Jul 10, 2016 11:04 AM

Dec 2013
If this didn't get you to love Re:Zero I don't know what will! Holy f*ck

Jul 10, 2016 11:05 AM

Dec 2014
Wow, that was bat shit crazy. Betelgeuse is hilarious as hell. Though I would not want to be friends with someone like him.

Glad to see Subaru understanding how grave the situation is, though I hope he doesn't just rush in on his own (Rem's not enough) even with those determined (vengeful) eyes. Crunchybuffer froze at the part where Rem's twisted corpse was lying on the ground - was totally on purpose, wasn't it...

I couldn't help but think the part where he was carrying Rem's corpse along the bridge towards the end he was thinking "oh god why is she so heavy".

The soft transition into the credits was a really nice touch.

Oh yeah, animation was great, voicing was great, everything was great. Unfortunately, the problem lies in that I'd have to wait another week.
spicychileJul 10, 2016 12:25 PM
I need sleep.
Jul 10, 2016 11:05 AM
May 2015
They could have ended the anime right there and I still would've given this show a 10/10.

Unbelievable. This is true production.
Jul 10, 2016 11:07 AM

Jul 2015
NoValueNobs said:
They could have ended the anime right there and I still would've given this show a 10/10.

Unbelievable. This is true production.

Apparently, the story becomes even better.
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Jul 10, 2016 11:08 AM

Jul 2014
Holly fucking shit. That was amazing!

The way Subaru behaved as an empty doll was brilliant. Seeing Rem being killed in such brutal way was painful. And that ending at the mansion - absolutely amazing.

Oh, and it seems we learned what kind of contract does Emilia and Puck have.
Jul 10, 2016 11:13 AM

Aug 2015
Jesus Christ what a brutal and epic episode. This series just keeps on delivering. Wow is all I can honestly say.

Sep 2015
WTF I take it that creature that appeared at the end was the Witch or was it Puck, so was that the ritual they were after. That voice I think that is the witch. So when she referenced sleep with my daughter, I take it that was referring to Emilia HOLY SHIT. Those eyes at the end hopefully he gains and new power or something bc there's no way to stand up to the cultist the way he is now. Such an amazing episode but so sad and brutal.
QcK_Dagger_HeaTJul 10, 2016 11:16 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]

Nov 2011
Wow...unFUCKINGbelieveable.

When Rem got strung-up and twisted around I was going insane! That was fucking brutal.
Rem had some great moments and some great quotes while wanting to protect Subaru.

That confession at the end though...I was in tears.

Then that fucking GIANT WOLF!!!! "Sleep...along with my daughter" *headless* GOD DAMN!!!!!! who could the Daughter have been???? Add another mystery to the list.

Those Subaru eyes at the end though...determination.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 2015
WHa tht e FUck W hat INt he world
Im done need to chill for a bit after this
Jul 10, 2016 11:15 AM

Nov 2014
I sat through the entire credits listening to that soundtrack, watching the snow pile up on Subaru and Rem's body, with Puck lording over the whole snowscape... Jesus fucking christ, man, that scene is incredibly powerful.

Subaru "only" needed to watch Rem die 3 times to reach real determination...
Jul 10, 2016 11:15 AM

Sep 2015
it was really painful to watch this episode, but it was maybe the best episode of this year
that was extremely brutal '-'
(betelgeuse is creepy tho)
Jul 10, 2016 11:18 AM

Mar 2015
I've been busy playing Pokemon Go that I forgot Re:Zero lol.

Well... I've also been trying to avoid this episode so much.... I'm glad they included the scene where Rem said "i...ki...te" "dai..su..ki" dialogues.

Though they did skipped another cute Rem scene.... but hopefully they would rearrange it like Petra's dead body in the beginning.

And this is why I've been in Rem's boat for a long time... welcome newly converted people~

Jul 10, 2016 11:20 AM

Nov 2014
WHAT IS THIS

ARE YOU SERIOUS

i really cant believe this is the same anime that i saw from the first episode
fuck... i dont even give a shit if re:zero was to go downhill from here on, this episode alone is incredibly captivating.
Jul 10, 2016 11:20 AM
Sep 2015
This creature at the end, that was Puck right? So he basically killed Subaru twice.
Jul 10, 2016 11:21 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Absolutely brilliant episode, no doubt. The sheer amount of effort White Fox puts in capturing how Subaru feels is extraordinary to say the least. Absolutely brutal and painful episode. Best directed episode of Re:Zero yet.

This episode is a good contender for episode of the year (same for a couple of episodes from Gintama and Shouwa Genroku).

Also Matsuoka, you deserve another fucking award!!!! It's hard to believe that Kirito's VA did a character like Betelgeuse. Absolutely brilliant.

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerJul 10, 2016 12:06 PM
Jul 10, 2016 11:22 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
When I first started watching this, I thought it was going to be a mostly lighthearted anime with the odd serious bit, then Subaru would just magically go back and fix it, rinse and repeat, get gud with Emilia, end...

I was so wrong. In so many ways. Episode 14 knocked the scales and 15 tipped all the expectations out down the drain...

MY GOD AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just was screaming in this episode at the end

With the snow and the ways the credits rolled silently

All these unanswered questions piling up and a situation with no apparent way out...

There's going to be blood... And it's not going to be nice. Characters will die and I reckon it might be permanent too

Jul 10, 2016 11:22 AM

Nov 2014
Fuchs23 said:
This creature at the end, that was Puck right? So he basically killed Subaru twice.

Pretty sure he was doing Subaru a favor from his perspective in both instances. Needless to say he was doing him more of a favor than he realizes.
Jul 10, 2016 11:23 AM

May 2012
This shit lied to me. I thought I was getting into a fantasy of fun and games. This shit a horror film.

Great episode! First let me say Rem will be the best girl forever.Not only was she was stab, beaten, and twisted, and she not only crawled, but she broke the chains to save Subaru.

Boy I'm not sure what to say. It seems like its fate for everyone (or at least everyone there) to just die at the mansion. Plus he keep restarting at the damn old guy shop. I mean usually he starts at a save point whee things can still change, but it looks like even if he gets there in time it sill ends with death.

That look he at the ending was the look of a man that gives no fucks anymore. Subaru is out to kill Betelgeuse.

I don't even know what to expect this coming episode and hate that I got to wait a whole week, but it looks like its just going to get darker and darker from here on.
AntearionJul 10, 2016 11:33 AM
Jul 10, 2016 11:24 AM

Mar 2016
I WANT TO DIE

I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO AFFECTED BY AN ANIME EPISODE THIS MUCH BEFORE

me
Vacu0usJul 10, 2016 11:42 AM
Jul 10, 2016 11:26 AM

Jan 2011
Being Subaru is suffering...

sirflimflam said:
Fuchs23 said:

Pretty sure he was doing Subaru a favor from his perspective in both instances. Needless to say he was doing him more of a favor than he realizes.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. Can't wait until we see how things progressed to that stage.

Feb 2014
You can feel how much effort was put into this episode. Best anime episode of 2016 by far.
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists

Oct 2014
S..Subarashi

Wow I'm not sure if I don't have the words to describe that episode or if there are just too many words I could use to describe that episode but damn that was incredible to say the least. There are no more doubts anymore this absolutely gets a 10/10 from me. Now to spend the next week eagerly anticipating episode 16. This is so so so so so so so so so so so so so sooooooooooooooooo good.
Jul 10, 2016 11:27 AM

Aug 2015
First, HOLY FUCKIN SHIT!

Second, props to Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, his acting for Betelgeuse was amazing. Probably his best crazy person role (if not very best) yet.

Third, HOLY FUCKIN SHIT SHE'S THE WITCH'S DAUGHTER?! Figured they were related somehow, but still, HOLY FUCKIN SHIT!!!!!!!! (Unless that was Puck like some people say)

The entire episode had the dark theme that only before happened at the end of the episode. They're finally kicking it into high gear again and I can't wait for the next one!
Jul 10, 2016 11:29 AM

Feb 2010
This was pure awesomness. I did not think it was possible to love this series anymore than I do and even though I knew how things would generally go from spoilers it was still amazing.

I thought at first because Betelguese seemed more comical than menacing I wouldn't be able to take him seriously but after the second half of the episode with Rem and Subaru constantly shouting 'I'll kill you", I was convinced. I almost fricken cried with that music in the background too.

I still don't get why Puck has that contract with Emilia though. Whats the actual point of it?
Jul 10, 2016 11:31 AM

Jun 2014
Holy fucking shit. This episode was beyond insane. Subaru has become even more damaged, and I don't blame him after all the shit he's gone through since he came to this world. And Betelgeuse......calling him a maniacal psychopath would be an understatement. The way he acts kind of reminds me of Caster from Fate/Zero now that I think about it. However, even though it's part of his character, sometimes his bombastic bouts of insanity make it hard to take him seriously. Still, props to Matsuoka on his performance. Seeing Rem get twisted up and looking like a crumpled rag doll was painful to see, and that part right before the credits.......wow, just wow. If, for whatever reason, this show had to be abruptly cut short and end here, I wouldn't even be mad. Well actually, I would be mad, but you get the point........
thebrentinator24Jul 10, 2016 11:34 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 10, 2016 11:32 AM
Jul 2016
The thing that I found particularly interesting, and I hope it's not just a weird translation thing, but when Betelgeuse asked Subaru if he were Pride, makes you wonder, is perhaps Subaru some kind of Sin? And as we've probably already had the impression of before, why does the witch or a witch, or something along those lines, love him so much, as Betelgeuse said himself. It's all very strange. I'm starting to get the impression that Subaru may actually be a witch himself or some kind of strong, evil entity, regardless of if he knows it or not. And that small red glint in his eyes at the end. Regardless, the episodes seem to feel further and further apart with each episode coming. (Damn Cliffhangers)
Jul 10, 2016 11:33 AM
Jun 2016
best thing is now people have stopped bitching about subaru, now they realize what pain he goes into
Jul 10, 2016 11:35 AM

Mar 2013
DUDE WTF DID I JUST WATCH.
Jul 10, 2016 11:35 AM

Jul 2014
Fuchs23 said:

Yes, it should be Puck, as it was said (and shown) that he is ice-magic user.
Jul 10, 2016 11:37 AM
Feb 2008
juliagatari said:

complete and outer GOLD!!!

Jul 2014
You know, I wasn't exactly sure if I should or could really believe people when they said that this arc was way darker than anything the show had done before, but holy fuck were they right! I mean, I did not in any way expect this. The drama, the violence, the brutality and the emotion behind it all was just on a whole other level from anything this show has done until now, particularly when it came to Subaru. The voice actor is doing a sensational job conveying Subaru's various emotions and his descent into an insanity so strong that there was basically nothing left of the old Subaru. And as for Betelgeuse, sure he was a little over the top, but if anything that only made the Witch's Cult all the more terrifying. After all, it's pretty clear now that none of them are in any way sane, and it seems almost certain that they all have powers as dangerous as that one he used to twist Rem's entire body. It just makes it so hard to see how Subaru can possibly get past this and save everyone at the mansion WITHOUT going completely insane again like he's already done two or three times. Oh, and his glare at the end was fucking terrifying as well.

Not only is this the best anime episode of 2016, it's probably one of the best episodes I've ever seen, and this show is rapidly becoming one of my all-time favourites, especially if it is only meant to get better and better from here. I'd totally rate this more than 10/10 if I could.
May 2016
juliagatari said:

exactly, wtf did i just watch, man AOTY i tell ya.
Jul 10, 2016 11:38 AM

May 2012
TeamDalaiLana said:
New web design

INCREDIBLE EPISODE.

I burst into tears at the end lmao.

That picture is flames.

Jan 2014
Anime of the year..... I'm so hyped for the next episode... But this one was brutal.. it was so brutal. Rem.... poor Rem..... Subaru you better find someway to fix this and save both twins. Atleast he's determined now.
Watch Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, you wont be disappointed. http://q.pokefarm.org/user/Uran10
Check out My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEz0PrV3Vh-ksW0mzOWnnSQ

Oct 2010
Holy fucking shit! This was so fucking brutal, GOD DAMN!
Jul 10, 2016 11:39 AM

Sep 2015
mozgow said:
Fuchs23 said:

Yes, it should be Puck, as it was said (and shown) that he is ice-magic user.

Well I guess I was wrong I thought it was the Witch due to the voice. Like the cultist had completed her resurrection or something like that.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Pages (42) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2016

631 by XionnaMing »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

715 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 1:39 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2016

538 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2016

510 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2016

816 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 6:49 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.