Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

What did you guys think of the first episode of Orange? Does it Live up to the Hype?

New
Jul 8, 2016 3:22 PM

May 2016

So since im really shitty at typing a full opinion on these subjects i thought id share my opinions through a video but honestly
-i wanted to know what you guys thought about it Orange?
- Do you think it will live up to the hype?
-What'd you think of Episode One?
-Predict How history will see Orange as a whole?
( . ) ( . ) Like Anime? Wan Get Drunk! Love Bewbs? CLICK THE PICTURE! ( . ) ( . )
Jul 8, 2016 3:29 PM

Mar 2016
It was utter crap. Even worse than Erased.

Don't mind me I'm just stating the objective truth.

Haven't seen it tho
Jul 8, 2016 3:31 PM

May 2016
TheDeadApostle said:
It was utter crap. Even worse than Erased.

Don't mind me I'm just stating the objective truth.

Haven't seen it tho

I'm not too big in shojo anime and stuff like that as i find most characters bland and boring as hell but this show was actually kinda interesting especially for a first episode
( . ) ( . ) Like Anime? Wan Get Drunk! Love Bewbs? CLICK THE PICTURE! ( . ) ( . )
Jul 8, 2016 3:32 PM

Feb 2016
Haven't seen it yet. I don't see why it's so hyped to begin with. The plot is interested but not that interesting.
Jul 8, 2016 3:42 PM

Dec 2015
I did read the manga but haven't watched the first episode yet. The former was underwhelming tbh. I even made a thread about it and a user pointed out that it plays on the feels of the readers more than it actually has outstanding intrinsic qualities. I won't post what I said because it cointains a lot of spoilers for what follows but I agree with her statement. A good comparison would be Erased this winter which was a hit for the people it managed to draw in and a miss for more detached people who were too bothered by its (several) flaws.

And I never say it enough, people on MAL tend to be suckers for time travel stories.
Jul 8, 2016 4:01 PM

Nov 2014
Well after watching it i was later spoiled the entire plot and ending of the manga so i went and read it all so now i am just going to watch the show
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Jul 8, 2016 4:22 PM

Sep 2015
FROM MY POST IN DISCUSSION THREAD & IMPRESSIONS BLOG ENTRY
Orange does not take a lot of time to get into the thick of things. The main mystery of the story comes into play within minutes of the opening scene. The letter from the future is pretty interesting, although it's not a completely original idea, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya share the same quality, it does bring a lot of potential drama to the series which is good for an anime labled as such. Being able to affect someone's action without knowing the end result, other than regret, can create some tense and emotional moments later on if done correctly. One thing that I personally hope they'll show is how the letter traveled back in time to the past. The idea of backwards time travel is already unrealistic in itself but as long as we are given a suitable and acceptable explanation the whole mystery behind Orange won't feel cheap.

The first warning was not listened to. While the repercussions don't seem to be bad at first, a few questions came to mind upon watching the scene play out. Present Naho invited Kakeru out to which Future Naho regretted doing. The immediate result was they all became friends but Kakeru skipped school for the next 2 weeks afterwards. There's already a possibility of regret but at this point in time Kakeru's mysterious disappearance could be due to different factors. Also, does Future Naho regret doing each thing specifically or was it the combination of everything she did that lead to Kakeru's death and ultimate regret? Present Naho was smart enough to realize that maybe she should listen to the warnings when confronted with the second warning. It may be weird for now but she can see the potential danger of disregarding the letter. However, her supposed mistake at the start of the show has already imprinted itself in history, can that decision be overturned later somehow? Naho's record right now is 1-1 when it comes to listening to the letter, will the future still have the same result?

How the letter worded the second regret was a bit confusing. How does Future Naho know she'll fall in love with Kakeru that day? In the letter, Naho is told to accept the offer to bat and in another sentence she is told about her love for Kakeru. Present Naho decides to bat and a couple scenes later Kakeru is tending to her foot and that may be when Naho begins to develop feelings for Kakeru. It wasn't obvious but one could say her feelings were hinted during that scene. What if present Naho had declined to bat? We know she regrets it later on in life but will she still fall in love with Kakeru? It seems like falling in love with Kakeru was the result of batting and by choosing not to bat she perhaps didn't fall in love with him? Or maybe she falls in love with him anyways but then why would she regret not choosing to bat? So many questions that I hope will be answered clearly in the future.

The pacing of this first episode started out pretty quickly. We are very briefly introduced to the characters. Personally I would have liked them to slow that part down more, especially for a drama since character interaction and personality are at the forefront of a good drama. At the moment we don't know how many episodes Orange will get but for a cast of six characters, one cour may not be enough to really develop a connection with the show.

In the last scene we see what I believe to be future Naho and her husband Hiroto holding their baby. Hiroto is carrying flowers for the apparent dead Kakeru and the child bears a slight resemblence to Naho and Hiroto so it's safe to assume they're married at this point. Back to the second warning, does that mean Naho falls in love with Hiroto instead or was it just how things played out after Kakeru passed away, Erased's ending came into mind.

The artwork was very basic, nothing really caught my eye. I want to use the term rustic to describe it but it's not completely in the countryside. The scenes had a very homely feel to them. The soundtrack is also nothing special. No pieces grabbed my attention and the opening/ending were mediocre. The opening reminded me a lot of Your Lie in April's opening but was not as catchy.

I've been excited for this this show for quite some time. The premise makes for what could be a very engaging drama. However, this first episode felt rather weak. By the end of the episode I had more concerns about the anime than praise. A weak start is not bad as long as the rest of the anime ups it's execution and storytelling. Compared to Rewrite, a current seasonal that I had absolutely no idea about, this first episode did not keep me engaged as much as Rewrite did. A drama tends to start off a bit slow however, so I will be looking forward to watching the upcoming episodes.

I just hope I don't come to regret it ten years later.
Jul 8, 2016 4:41 PM

Aug 2012
I loved the manga and I didn't really wanted it to be animated, because imo the design of the characters and the style of the author is better in manga than in anime. That aside, I was anxious about the voices and I actually like the VA but I didn't imagine them like that, but it's no big deal so it's okay.

The real thing is that I didn't really like this first ep (neither have I really like the PV) because of two things. Firstly, like someone said I didn't like the pacing, and the scenes were weird like if womething was missing, even in cute scenes that were good on the manga. Something like the camera not movinf as I would have thought, the way the characterswhile they speak are shown, etc..(it might just be me tho).

The second thing is the animation, that I haven't found fluent/flowing and it really did disturb me a lot, because this manga is really about feelings and I couldn't get in in this first ep at all. But it still can improve, and anyway the manga is still awesome.
Jul 9, 2016 9:13 AM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

Haven't watched it yet.

Also, careful about hype in relation to first episode reactions. Things can change in a variety of ways over time.
Jul 9, 2016 1:29 PM

Feb 2014
unfair to say if a show is good or not from watching one episode lol
but yeah i was super hyped as it's one of my favourite manga
Jul 9, 2016 4:20 PM

May 2016
min said:
unfair to say if a show is good or not from watching one episode lol
but yeah i was super hyped as it's one of my favourite manga

well of coarse but the first episode i thought flowed well and was interesting
Jul 9, 2016 4:42 PM

Jan 2015
read the manga, thought it was alright but overrated. anime will probably go down the same route because of "the feels"
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jul 9, 2016 5:11 PM
Apr 2011
Shocked said:
Moved from Anime Discussion

Haven't watched it yet.

Also, careful about hype in relation to first episode reactions. Things can change in a variety of ways over time.

That pic you posted is about the same reaction I got after watching this show.

heinrich6745 said:
Well after watching it i was later spoiled the entire plot and ending of the manga so i went and read it all so now i am just going to watch the show

Is it any better after the story gets going? Like any real suspense or tension? This show, sadly, does not strike me as something that will be as suspenseful or exciting as Erased / Boku Dake ga Inai Machi.
Jul 9, 2016 5:12 PM
Apr 2011
How on earth did I make a 6x post in like 1 second. 0_o

EDIT : nvm, found out I can just delete them. That was weird.
Jul 9, 2016 5:15 PM

Nov 2014
FononZero said:

heinrich6745 said:

Is it any better after the story gets going? Like any real suspense or tension? This show, sadly, does not strike me as something that will be as suspenseful or exciting as Erased / Boku Dake ga Inai Machi.

I can say yeah it does, but also gives you feels cause of the shit that goes down and how the MC's feel.

It's pretty much a thing of regretful choices and changing your life because you're not happy in your current life and want them redone, and some other stuff happens as well but i won't spoil anything.

P.S. haha the 6 notifications shocked me, i was like yoooo what i had 0 a minute ago xD
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Jul 9, 2016 5:16 PM
Apr 2011
heinrich6745 said:
FononZero said:

I can say yeah it does, but also gives you feels cause of the shit that goes down and how the MC's feel.

It's pretty much a thing of regretful choices and changing your life because you're not happy in your current life and want them redone, and some other stuff happens as well but i won't spoil anything.

At least that gives me some hope. Guess I'll at least try to stick it out for a few more eps then. Thanks.
Oct 12, 2016 5:12 PM

Jun 2010
The characters are little bit too simple and boring, but I do like the show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Orange Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

204 by miffyverse »»
Apr 1, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Orange Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2016

177 by miffyverse »»
Mar 27, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Orange Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2016

234 by KayyTH »»
Mar 23, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Orange Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

230 by KayyTH »»
Mar 23, 1:24 AM

Poll: » Orange Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

381 by Minonine »»
Dec 23, 2023 1:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.