Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2016 6:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, the memories of Griffith...

As expected again, the choreography still has a lot of 3D in it. Guts ends up getting captured after a tough fight.

I still find Farnese's face is hard to take serious at times. Although from the episode, I suppose they are keeping the violence without much censorship.
TyrelJul 24, 2017 7:58 PM
Jul 8, 2016 7:12 AM

Jan 2015
Farnese has finally enter the series also I feel like they are adapting this just way too fast.
Jul 8, 2016 7:18 AM
Dec 2015
The Golden Age flashbacks. They're entirely 2D. They don't look awful.

Why would they do this? They need to stop twisting the knife, it already hurts too much, just make it be 100% CGI don't torment me like this. Also, white Casca is a meme that's sticking around I GUESS

Though, on a whole, this episode was way better than the first one which was just a mangling of Black Swordsman and Lost Children into some unholy abomination.
Jul 8, 2016 7:27 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
A much better episode than the previous one, that for sure. The pacing the series has now is a lot better. The amount of content being skipped is disappointing though. The CGI is still a bit iffy, but it felt better than the previous episode (since the previous episode's fight was in a darker area, making it hard to actually know what's going on). This episode made me realize how big of a retard Farnese was before, haha. Also, we get some "Hai Yo"! Lol, they made Casca look even more white than the previous episode...

By the looks of the PV, they're changing up the setting a little, but the situation may play out the same. But we may not get that certain horse animated...

4/5
GoldenDevilGamerJul 8, 2016 8:44 AM
Jul 8, 2016 7:52 AM

Jun 2013
2nd Episode...and flashbacks much...well let's see if this gets better from here
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Jul 8, 2016 7:57 AM
Jun 2015
at least this episode stayed true to the manga for the most part
Jul 8, 2016 8:10 AM

Jun 2016
DID THEY WHITEWASH CASCA
THE SMITHS ARE THE BEST BAND
Jul 8, 2016 8:13 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
visioncreation said:
DID THEY WHITEWASH CASCA
Didn't we already know that since the first episode?
Jul 8, 2016 8:14 AM

Apr 2016
It's jarring going from flashbacks that are animated in 2D back into choppy 3D animations. I really don't understand why they couldn't have made the anime entirely 2D, it just looks better that way. Thankfully they at least had the decency to not mash two arcs together like the last episode.

visioncreation said:
DID THEY WHITEWASH CASCA

They did for whatever reason.
VinjeJul 8, 2016 8:27 AM
Jul 8, 2016 8:14 AM

May 2016
bad cg/10

Well, at least we get rape horse next week, that´s good, right?...Right?
Jul 8, 2016 8:16 AM

Jun 2016
Also the 3D animation is so cheap and lazy it makes me even more suicidal
THE SMITHS ARE THE BEST BAND
Jul 8, 2016 8:16 AM

Apr 2015
So according to this anime adaptation Guts pulled the Behelit out of his ass or what? There is no explanation whatsoever for that ._.
Jul 8, 2016 8:20 AM

Aug 2014
I guess I'm done with complaining. Just have to enjoy whatever they want to give us.
The pacing is a lot better and the CGI is better than episode 1, imo.
The action scene could be a lot better without the close-up shot I think.

But overall still enjoyable, and since it's Berserk adaptation, enjoyable is enough for me.
I wonder when they'll release the OST, though.
Jul 8, 2016 8:23 AM

Nov 2014
No nipples :/

/10charisstupidletmepostalready
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Jul 8, 2016 8:25 AM

Mar 2016
Fappa said:
So according to this anime adaptation Guts pulled the Behelit out of his ass or what? There is no explanation whatsoever for that ._.

Yeah, it doesn't match up to the 97 anime, and is obviously supposed to be based from the films (even though that too is shaky at best), so it can't be the Snake Baron's or the Count's...

Maybe that was a good reason NOT TO SKIP THAT ARC.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jul 8, 2016 8:28 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Fappa said:
Considering how the series is using a lot of flashbacks here and there, they might explain that later... hopefully
Jul 8, 2016 8:28 AM

Apr 2014
They did some censoring which I do not know if that will show up on he blu ray or so.
Jul 8, 2016 8:31 AM

Mar 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Fappa said:
Considering how the series is using a lot of flashbacks here and there, they might explain that later... hopefully

If they didn't do it already, right when it appears, it's already better than the films.

Here's how the writing in those films was:

1. Something important NEEDS to appear but wasn't properly set up ahead of time
2. It magically gets an explanation or appears just seconds before its critical introduction in the plot.

That drove me crazy. If this anime was by Studio 4c, Farnese would've asked about Guts' backstory and he would've explained everything, including the Behelit, and then she would've pulled it out and placed it on the table immediately following it.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Jul 8, 2016 8:32 AM

Dec 2015
I really enjoyed this episode alot. I think I am going to be happy with the adaptation for what it is instead of complaining of what it can be. I know that this really isn't how Berserk should be presented, but I am happy just to be able to watch it.
Jul 8, 2016 8:32 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I promise this is the last time I will rant it since it's a lost cause. It is what it is and it's a shame that they couldn't do better for Berserk.

Goddamn the animation suck big time!! They really couldn't have given this to a cheaper more amateurish studio?! AGHH!!

Now having got that out of the way, I was at least happy to hear some Susumu Hirasawa music there. It's such a reassuringly Berserk soundtrack. And while they do skip a lot of content, at least they've settled on the Conviction Arc/Chapter of the Binding Chain. I hope they at least have the good sense to not mess with the story.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 8, 2016 8:35 AM

Dec 2014
That wasn't half bad, Much better than the first episode. They're starting to follow the manga now which is good but still doesn't fix how they reached this point.

Guts should have been nowhere near weakened enough to get captured simply by fighting that small mob in the first episode. Anyway that aside I liked everything else about the episode.

2D flashbacks look good, Looks like they're trying to give a brief summary of Golden Age via flashbacks.

Seeing the old Farnese with her parochial religious attitude is weird XD
Waiting for more spotlight on Serpico.
Jul 8, 2016 8:37 AM

Apr 2015
Lelouch0202 said:
They're starting to follow the manga now which is good but still doesn't fix how they reached this point.

Yep they follow the manga just to go anime original next episode. At least the author himself wrote it but whether it makes it through the treatment of the studio unscathed and in one piece or not, is another thing.
Jul 8, 2016 8:41 AM
Jan 2016
Thankfully it seems like they aren't using those sudden, awkward camera switches, though maybe that was just a result of me skipping through this episode.

Looks like another change in the next episode though, they're going to be hiding out in a ruined mansion instead of having to deal with the ghosts on the hillside.
Jul 8, 2016 8:43 AM

Aug 2015
Kingdom anyone? Has anyone else seen Kingdom? Is anyone else getting a Kingdom vibe outta this? Cause this is just like it, except in this one the CG actually looks better than the 2D.
Jul 8, 2016 8:43 AM

Feb 2015
Any ideas why puck can't be seen by her......I haven't read the manga :p
Jul 8, 2016 8:47 AM

Mar 2016
Animefreak_96 said:

Religious people are narrow-minded and can't see the freer spirits that roam, because it would question their faith.

Don't tell me Puck didn't even mention this.

Jul 8, 2016 8:47 AM

Aug 2015
Animefreak_96 said:

People who are strongly religious or don't believe in the supernatural can't see elves. Many people in this world don't believe in demons, elves, or anything of the sort.
Jul 8, 2016 8:50 AM

Jul 2014
I hope for some flashbacks in the future involving the arcs they've skipped, but I'm not holding my breath so I'm just gonna watch it as it is.

With that said I liked the second episode more than the first.

Also...I wonder if people will complain about the CGI every episode..IT'S NOT GOING AWAY guys..seriously. Stop watching it if you don't like it.
Jul 8, 2016 8:50 AM
Apr 2014
Now they have the balls to put filler in episode 3.
Comedy anime of the year undoutedly.
Jul 8, 2016 8:51 AM

Aug 2015
Kouun said:
bad cg/10

In a mansion though? Seriously, why the hell are they going anime original with all this? There's plenty of source material they skipped over and now they're just changing shit however they feel like.
Jul 8, 2016 8:54 AM

Dec 2014
Fappa said:
Lelouch0202 said:
They're starting to follow the manga now which is good but still doesn't fix how they reached this point.

Yep they follow the manga just to go anime original next episode. At least the author himself wrote it but whether it makes it through the treatment of the studio unscathed and in one piece or not, is another thing.

I thought it was gonna be faithful from here on out but then I watched the PV, Damn that sucks. Can't believe they're changing more. Well I can only hope that it'll be decent.
Jul 8, 2016 8:54 AM
Jul 2016
Still too soon to see where this adaptation is going. At least this episode improved on the previous one.
I really can't get used to the 3D CGI. Reminds me of some cheap 3D animated shows we got in the early 2000's. It is showing up quite a bit now. Just recently Ajin was animated like that and it just looks so stiff and wooden.
LOL @ white Casca...
Oh well, let's watch a few more and hope it keeps improving.
Jul 8, 2016 8:56 AM

Mar 2016
AvidAnimeViewer said:
Kouun said:
bad cg/10

In a mansion though? Seriously, why the hell are they going anime original with all this? There's plenty of source material they skipped over and now they're just changing shit however they feel like.

I bet you money they changed it to a mansion to avoid having to do the horse rape. Yep, bet every penny on that.

Jul 8, 2016 9:02 AM

Aug 2015
RealCW said:
AvidAnimeViewer said:

I bet you money they changed it to a mansion to avoid having to do the horse rape. Yep, bet every penny on that.

That's exactly what it is, just wondering what they'll do for the pagan orgy.
Jul 8, 2016 9:08 AM

Jul 2014
And so continues the butthurt about the animation. Yes, we get it, it's terrible, but all we can do is accept and look at what the show is doing other than that when deciding if it's good or not. Seriously, the main reason for the score being so low seems to be the CGI (well, that and the fact that it's not a 1:1 adaptation of the manga), which is pretty stupid really. I do admit though, it is frustrating that the series jumps from CGI to 2D so often, especially when what little 2D we get looks so much better than the CGI we're being made to endure. Why not do it all in 2D if you're doing the flashbacks like that?

Now, ranting aside, this was actually a good episode and is definitely continuing to be interesting while also looking somewhat better than last week's episode. Flashbacks are a little gratuitous at this point, but if it helps to fill in the gaps here and there then I certainly don't mind.
Mar 2011
I think ppl are getting way to tilted on the animation when there is a great story going on.
It was a good eps.

Jul 2015
Wew, what a vast improvement.

Though it's funny how the used hand-drawn animation for the Golden Age flashback, and not for the new material.
Jul 8, 2016 9:09 AM
Jan 2016
I was finally happy because they started to adapt properly the anime, and then the preview came out.
WHAT ARE THEY DOING? NO HORSE SCENE? well this is not Berserk anymore, I quit
Jul 8, 2016 9:11 AM
Jul 2015
I really don't understand some things that people talk about here. I understand the annoyance of 3D CGI to some people but rating a 1/5 just because of that? Really? The thing that annoys me the most is that nobody actually explains why they rated 1/5.

I think I know why, they don't really know themselves do they. It is hard to see your favorite manga get a CGI adaptation but I doubt its as bad School Days or some other crappy anime. Let me tell you my favorite moment of the episode. It's the part in the fight against the knights where Guts manages to get a good grip on his sword and slices through 4 knights at once. The music sets in just at the perfect moment and it feels and looks very epic despite of the animation method. If you didn't see it then I guess you didn't see the same as I. I know that this part is not just an epic moment. It's showcasing the potential of the anime as a whole.

The episodes to come are only going to be better. This whole Anime will be one of the best of the summer. Yes they skipped many volumes of manga, yes they used 3D CGI and yes they whitewashed Casca (spoiler) but in the end I think that this anime deserves a fair chance before it aired completely.

Rating it 0 before it ended is what lazy people do when they can't be bothered to see things to the end. Don't worry maybe next time nobody will even consider making an anime adaptation of your favorite manga. Who cares if the director has to plan everything precisely to spare the large amounts of money that go's in to anime and who cares if the director doesn't have a whole year to make an episode where the protagonists are on a fucking boat!(manga spoiler)

This all comes down to fairness in my opinion. Manga has been around for many years. This anime has only aired for a week. Just give it a chance okay guys...
vikingx36Jul 8, 2016 9:21 AM
Jul 8, 2016 9:11 AM

Jun 2016
Really enjoyed this episode better than the first one, 2d flashbacks were pretty good. Hopefully things keep getting better.
Jul 8, 2016 9:14 AM
Sep 2014
I think I'll give this anime till 5 episodes before I consider dropping it. I'm quite upset they've completely missed the black swordsman arc and skipped out quite a big chunk of the manga material. The quality of the animation is poor though. I'm not even complaining about the CGI because Ajin was CGI and the previous berserk movies were CGI. But the quality of the animation just looks bad, looks comical and sketchy at times.

But yes it was a improvement to the first episode but still not good enough to keep me interested. Either way I'm still curious to see where this goes
Jul 8, 2016 9:19 AM

Jul 2009
Aside from the disgusting animation, this episode was far better than the previous one. I think I like the addition of the flashbacks, for now. Nudity censorship was lame, but expected I guess. Now that I'm more relaxed about this, I think I might even watch this until the end. But all can change depending on how they adapt the next "filler" episode.

But I'll say this, if they adapt in flashback at least Snake Baron, the Count, and other skipped things like he getting the Dragonslayer, Beast of Darkness and maybe even Rosine, I might forgive this adaptation and give it a 6/10 at least.
Jul 8, 2016 9:21 AM

Jun 2014
I got to say that this episode was way better than the first one. There weren't that many things left out. As long as they try to follow the story correctly, I don't care about CGI.
Jul 8, 2016 9:23 AM

Oct 2015
The people who bashed episode 1 really should be shitting themselves now.
Episode 2 was a straight 8/10, serious enjoyment for any Berserk fan. And the art was quality beautiful straight A stuff.
Oh and if anyone again mentions Casca's skin colour, then you should be comforted in the fact that Azan is now some kind of bearded Arab, so please shut your mouth about it.

Also, I thought the CGI was well executed in this.
Somehow episode 1 & 2 are like 2 different worlds. I hope they go on with some relatively similar quality as the show goes on.

* No more shaky camera
* 3D/2D MUCH MUCH MUCH better handled.
* Story flows better than first ep. Feels like reading manga.
* Music, philosophical moments = Berserk! YES
lancer35Jul 8, 2016 9:27 AM
Jul 8, 2016 9:25 AM

Mar 2016
Zeerow said:
Aside from the disgusting animation, this episode was far better than the previous one. I think I like the addition of the flashbacks, for now. Nudity censorship was lame, but expected I guess. Now that I'm more relaxed about this, I think I might even watch this until the end. But all can change depending on how they adapt the next "filler" episode.

But I'll say this, if they adapt in flashback at least Snake Baron, the Count, and other skipped things like he getting the Dragonslayer, Beast of Darkness and maybe even Rosine, I might forgive this adaptation and give it a 6/10 at least.

Really? That would be good by you? I would think it pretty lame, honestly; that, hey, at least we included a flashback so it was there.
It's how I felt about Guts' "flashback" in the first film, where if you didn't read the manga, you'd have no idea what whole minute long segment with Gambino was even about, but it was so important it had to be mentioned, but not included.

It would just reek of desperation for me.

I honestly think, instead of shoehorning in that demon tree in episode 1, why not a lesser Apostle like the Snake Baron? He's not that complex of a character, so a brief battle with him could've worked, while at the same time, granting Guts a Behelit and possibly even weakening him enough for his capture this episode to make more sense.

Gotta admit, the Snake Baron would be at least a moderate challenge vs a demon tree. Could've even been that pig man that was the first apostle ever slayed by the Black Swordsman. Anything could've worked better than what they did, is my point.

Jul 8, 2016 9:26 AM

Apr 2016
It's better than the first one ! Continue like this !
Jul 8, 2016 9:32 AM

Aug 2014
The CGI isn't actually half bad. I don't exactly know what everyone here is expecting out of 3D animation.

Seems like they're going to do the conviction arc fairly well w/ some rewriting to avoid the horse scene, I guess. I don't think they are going to avoid that much of the sexual content, as long as it is broadcast friendly. Glad I can watch it in public. (I mean they showed that other white girl in sexual content. What do you mean Casca. I didn't see Casca)

Voice acting was iffy at most. Kinda bland. OST great as last episode.

4/5 for this episode for sure. Let's hope they keep this up.
Jul 8, 2016 9:34 AM

Jul 2009
RealCW said:
Zeerow said:

Really? That would be good by you? I would think it pretty lame, honestly; that, hey, at least we included a flashback so it was there.
It's how I felt about Guts' "flashback" in the first film, where if you didn't read the manga, you'd have no idea what whole minute long segment with Gambino was even about, but it was so important it had to be mentioned, but not included.

It would just reek of desperation for me.

I honestly think, instead of shoehorning in that demon tree in episode 1, why not a lesser Apostle like the Snake Baron? He's not that complex of a character, so a brief battle with him could've worked, while at the same time, granting Guts a Behelit and possibly even weakening him enough for his capture this episode to make more sense.

Gotta admit, the Snake Baron would be at least a moderate challenge vs a demon tree.

I said I would give it a 6/10, not a 10/10. Not a big deal really. I abhor the flashbacks on the movies, one of the worst things for me about them, it was just chopped frames that meant nothing to the new viewer. Guts childhood is essencial to understanding him as a character.

I'm talking about big, fleshed out flashbacks, showing the whole thing. I think they kind have to in order to explain the "gray" behelit with him. If it is true they are having 24 episodes, they have plenty of time to make flashback episodes.
Jul 8, 2016 9:38 AM

Oct 2015
Anybody know WHAT THE HELL is that new apostle in the PV for episode 3?
Holy shit EP3 is gonna be good.
Jul 8, 2016 9:42 AM

Mar 2016
Zeerow said:

Kind of agree with you. Though, since we both dislike the notion of traditional flashbacks, they could simply present it out of order, for like half an episode. Those kind of "flashbacks" don't bother me too much vs a simple 30 seconds flash into a character's head and then back out, and it would work in the same way as the manga's initial out-of-order presentation.

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

989 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

181 by Xxbrunoguerra »»
Mar 12, 6:58 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.