Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people say Family Guy and South Park are for adults ?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 11, 2016 12:22 AM
Jul 2018
TheBrainintheJar said:
Hatred said:

true,but i have a 13 year old male acquaintance who isn't that intelligent so i doubt that he would be able to get the jokes in south park.If i watched that cartoon when i was 14 i would probably get the jokes but if i was 12 i wouldn't.I was too innocent back then.

Innocence and intelligence are different things. I didn't get Pixar films until I was a teenager finishing high school. Sure, I enjoyed it when I was young but I didn't get the big jokes or the deep psychology.

don't you have to not be innocent to get the jokes in south park though?It doesn't have to do with intelligence of any sort
Jul 11, 2016 12:26 AM

Dec 2015
Sherlupin said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Pretty sure 12 year olds don't understand jokes about Johnny Cochran's legal defense of OJ Simpson.

I'm pretty sure there are as much adults as kids that aren't familiar with Johnny Cochran's legal defense of OJ Simpson.

next.

Actually yes I do expect adults to know about Johnny Cochran's defense of OJ Simpson. I also expect them to know the incredibly famous line "If the gloves don't fit, you must acquit" and most educated adults do.
Just because you are an idiot doesn't mean everyone else is.
Jul 11, 2016 2:02 AM

Aug 2013
Bobby2Hands said:
Sherlupin said:

I'm pretty sure there are as much adults as kids that aren't familiar with Johnny Cochran's legal defense of OJ Simpson.

next.

Actually yes I do expect adults to know about Johnny Cochran's defense of OJ Simpson. I also expect them to know the incredibly famous line "If the gloves don't fit, you must acquit" and most educated adults do.
Just because you are an idiot doesn't mean everyone else is.

and many educated children know this line

you're not proving anything
Jul 11, 2016 4:04 AM

May 2015
Hatred said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Innocence and intelligence are different things. I didn't get Pixar films until I was a teenager finishing high school. Sure, I enjoyed it when I was young but I didn't get the big jokes or the deep psychology.

don't you have to not be innocent to get the jokes in south park though?It doesn't have to do with intelligence of any sort

You may need to understand concepts like sex and violence to get these jokes, but do they require a deep understanding of these subject matter? Dark comedies like Catch-22 or Burn After Reading - which are far more harrowing than anything in South Park - require understanding of pain, of the absurdity of existence and of pessimism.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 11, 2016 10:08 PM

Oct 2015
Because people think they are mature for having violence and sex jokes. Really that just makes kids think it's mature and they feel cool and adult to be watching it when it's really not mature.

If you want something that's actuelly mature than watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Psycho-Pass, Monster or Ergo Proxy.

I used to watch Family Guy when I was 12-14 and I though it was okay, I don't really hate it now (though I think it's really overrated) I just don't care to watch it anymore. I never found it that funny to begin with to be honest. Also i'm annoying with it being on Adult Swim on Saturday nights as that makes anime block Toonami shorter.
Jul 11, 2016 10:23 PM

Jun 2014
Pretty sure Family Guy is TV-14 most the time, so to say it's an adult series exclusively is somewhat of a stretch

South Park though is another level as others have already mentioned, but you look at surface level so there's no point in trying to convince you
Jul 11, 2016 11:05 PM

Nov 2009
I'm technically an adult and I find both South Park and Family Guy funny (also find shows like Archer funny as well) . . . I guess that means I have an immature sense of humor? Although, too be perfectly honest, I couldn't even pretend to care less about what other's think about my preference in comedies.
Jul 12, 2016 2:15 AM

Feb 2014
i guess that kind of humour is hilarious when you're drunk/high
i watch it sometimes and it's funny but not ~hilarious~
Jul 12, 2016 2:16 AM

May 2013
I'm kinda sick of those show's brand of humor tbh. Family guy is an example of something that will even make me laugh, but I wish it didn't... it's kinda gross >_>
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jul 18, 2016 2:44 PM
Jul 2016
Its not only about fart jokes, for example in South Park the last season It was a huge critique to the actual society and what could happen to U.S.A if they vote for Trump, so I dont believe that a 12 years old brat could understand that kind of political situation. Its not only about fart jokes, for example in South Park the last season It was a huge criticice to the actual society and what could happen to U.S.A if they vote for Trump, so I dont bealive that a 12 years old brat could understand that kind of political situation.
Jul 18, 2016 7:10 PM

Aug 2013
StoFlamingo said:
Its not only about fart jokes, for example in South Park the last season It was a huge critique to the actual society and what could happen to U.S.A if they vote for Trump, so I dont believe that a 12 years old brat could understand that kind of political situation.

Right, because you have to be an adult to know who Trump is.
Jul 19, 2016 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
I'm 13 and I think we should build a wall! Who is Trump? Is he a dump? I'd rather watch South Park as they tend to make episodes satirical to certain events/trends which is cool.
Jul 21, 2016 12:30 AM

May 2015
Bookerhooker said:
I'm 13 and I think we should build a wall! Who is Trump? Is he a dump? I'd rather watch South Park as they tend to make episodes satirical to certain events/trends which is cool.

Writing about current trends/events is a one-way ticket to irrelevancy.
Jul 21, 2016 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
TheBrainintheJar said:
Bookerhooker said:

Elaborate on that, having a hard time understanding what your trying to prove since they don't always do current events/trends? They are a comedy show, so it would only make sense they might be satirical with current events sometimes.... kind of how they made an episode about stater up companies, Redskin name, Deflategate, and etc. But they also incorporate other concepts such as pet peevs, racism, bullying, etc.
Jul 23, 2016 4:36 AM

May 2015
Bookerhooker said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Elaborate on that, having a hard time understanding what your trying to prove since they don't always do current events/trends? They are a comedy show, so it would only make sense they might be satirical with current events sometimes.... kind of how they made an episode about stater up companies, Redskin name, Deflategate, and etc. But they also incorporate other concepts such as pet peevs, racism, bullying, etc.

I've seen some of these shows and any joke that relies on referencing a specific event or celebrity tends to be forgotten. We have an Israeli version of SNL whose skits are often forgotten, since they deal with specific events.

Jokes dealing with general zeitgeist don't get outdated, since zeitgeist is easy to remember.
Jul 23, 2016 5:08 AM

Jul 2015
I'm surprised people actually try to debate this when OP is just a 12 years old edgy troll who doesn't want to discuss anything.
Jul 23, 2016 6:55 AM
Jan 2015
andrewanime said:
I started watching both when I was like 8 or 9.

This then I stopped when I was like 13 or 14.
I don't find either of those TV shows funny anymore.
Jul 23, 2016 8:08 AM

Aug 2013
Clebardman said:
I'm surprised people actually try to debate this when OP is just a 12 years old edgy troll who doesn't want to discuss anything.

I asked for proof that these are adult shows, I didn't get any
Jul 23, 2016 8:12 AM

Jul 2015
Sherlupin said:
Clebardman said:

You're the one who claims it's for edgy 12 years old. We don't have to prove anything here, mate.
Jul 23, 2016 11:44 AM

Jan 2013
My parents, grandparents, and pretty much every other adult I personally know loves Family Guy and South Park.
All of my friends and I are 18 going into college and I don't see any of us hating either show any time soon, if at all.
We all simply enjoy the dumb satirical humor.

Hoppy said:
They are for adults, they often deal with and satirize adult issues including politics.

^^^ this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2016 12:09 PM

Aug 2013
Blaffie said:
My parents, grandparents, and pretty much every other adult I personally know loves Family Guy and South Park.
All of my friends and I are 18 going into college and I don't see any of us hating either show any time soon, if at all.

Hoppy said:
They are for adults, they often deal with and satirize adult issues including politics.

^^^ this.

Winnie the Pooh also talks about politics sometimes.
Jul 23, 2016 12:22 PM

Jan 2013
Sherlupin said:
Blaffie said:

^^^ this.

Winnie the Pooh also talks about politics sometimes.

Winnie the Pooh is my shit.

Not much to say other than I just find Family Guy's stupidity amusing and I just love the way South Park digs at current events, especially season 19.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2016 1:04 AM

May 2015
Sherlupin said:
Clebardman said:

Kanye West is a gay fish lolz gaypeople!!!

Also, have you seen their SJW episode? It has a character called 'reality' whining about SJW's, calling them oversensitive while it's obvious Reality got triggered.

Very mature.
Jul 24, 2016 2:29 AM

Oct 2011
Originally aimed towards adult because the humor is for mature audiences. Nowadays kids are desensitized to the point that it's not a big deal to them when coming across adult humor.
Jul 24, 2016 3:21 AM

Aug 2013
BlueKite said:
Originally aimed towards adult because the humor is for mature audiences. Nowadays kids are desensitized to the point that it's not a big deal to them when coming across adult humor.

Do you know what mature means ? because I really don't think you do
Jul 24, 2016 3:27 AM

Oct 2011
Sherlupin said:
BlueKite said:

The meaning of the word "mature" has been adjusted through the years which is why I said "originally". The word "mature" back then was usually synonymous with the word "adult". If you insist to continue fighting over semantics, I won't bother.
Jul 24, 2016 3:37 AM

Aug 2013
BlueKite said:
Sherlupin said:

The meaning of the word "mature" has been adjusted through the years which is why I said "originally". The word "mature" back then was usually synonymous with the word "adult". If you insist to continue fighting over semantics, I won't bother.

Then give me an example of a funny mature joke from FG or SP. I'm waiting.
Jul 24, 2016 3:49 AM

Oct 2011
Sherlupin said:
BlueKite said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_Is_Gay!

The media influences people's lifestyle choices. If you choose to go against it, you are left-out in the crowd. This was written way before the time when you won't see tumblrfags getting triggered over a homosexual joke.
Jul 24, 2016 3:59 AM

Aug 2013
BlueKite said:
Sherlupin said:

The media influences people's lifestyle choices. If you choose to go against it, you are left-out in the crowd. This was written way before the time when you won't see tumblrfags getting triggered over a homosexual joke.

that type of scenario "The media influences people's lifestyle choices. If you choose to go against it, you are left-out in the crowd." is something I've seen in Disney Channel shows. Does that mean they are for adults ?
Jul 24, 2016 4:03 AM

Oct 2011
Sherlupin said:
BlueKite said:

that type of scenario "The media influences people's lifestyle choices. If you choose to go against it, you are left-out in the crowd." is something I've seen in Disney Channel shows. Does that mean they are for adults ?
That is the theme, but consider the issue that is being subjected to the theme. Do shows aimed at toddlers tackle on homosexuality? I think not.
Jul 24, 2016 4:21 AM

Aug 2013
BlueKite said:
Sherlupin said:

That is the theme, but consider the issue that is being subjected to the theme. Do shows aimed at toddlers tackle on homosexuality? I think not.

Oh so now TV shows aim only either adults or toddlers ?
Jul 24, 2016 4:23 AM

Oct 2011
Sherlupin said:
BlueKite said:

Know the difference between target audience and the actual audience.
Jul 24, 2016 4:37 AM

Aug 2013
BlueKite said:
Sherlupin said:

Family Guy has immature humour and immature characters

therefore, how can it be for adults ?
Jul 24, 2016 4:53 AM

Oct 2011
Sherlupin said:
BlueKite said:

Family Guy has immature humour and immature characters

therefore, how can it be for adults ?
And how did you come to that conclusion? Again, inserting the semantics argument. Like I said, I won't bother.
Jul 24, 2016 5:44 AM

Apr 2009
i watched a few episodes of family guy in middle school when my best friend recommended it because her brother (high school age) watched it. thought it was complete shit, ditched it, tried watching some bits again in high school, still though it was shit, gave up 5ever
it's obvious why it's for adults, my question would be more along the lines of why so many people watch it

as for south park, also not my thing. tho enough people i know who are generally intelligent and have a good sense of humor watch it so i'm assuming it has enough good bits
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jul 24, 2016 6:04 AM

Apr 2016
It is for adults because it contains inappropriate themes and jokes which are not suitable for children. What is so difficult to understand? You particularly may not like that style of comedy or the comedy may even be bad, but that does not mean that it is not targeted at adults. You do realize that shows like GoT, Breaking Bad, Spartacus,etc. are aimed at adults, but are watched and enjoyed by teens/pre-teens as well. Would you call them shows for children too because they watch it and enjoy it?

Also, watching/liking/disliking a TV show does not mean that you are smart/stupid. OP, get off your high horse and stop projecting.
bikers123Jul 24, 2016 6:20 AM
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Jul 24, 2016 6:20 AM

Jul 2014
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I've got some 14-year-old friends and they still find dick and shit hilarious. They're intelligent dudes who'll sharpen their humor later, but this is the age group that's into profanity.

...Why are you hanging out with 14 year olds?

OT: I find it amusing that a site centred around Chinese cartoons has a fair few people that sit around and poke fun at people that are into Western cartoons. Oh well, whatever makes you feel "special" and helps to elevate your already rock bottom self esteem I guess.
It's typical child/teen behaviour, so I can't say I'm particularly surprised.

Wow... #Savage
Calm down SnugglyWhuggly
Jul 24, 2016 9:08 AM

Aug 2013
bikers123 said:
It is for adults because it contains inappropriate themes and jokes which are not suitable for children. What is so difficult to understand?

In case you didn't know, 12 year olds aren't children.
Jul 24, 2016 9:48 AM

Apr 2016
Sherlupin said:
bikers123 said:
It is for adults because it contains inappropriate themes and jokes which are not suitable for children. What is so difficult to understand?

First of all, respond to the entire post instead of conveniently picking out a single line and making a case out of it as if that was my entire point.
Secondly, 12 year olds aren't adults either and are still viewed as kids by grown ups as on average they lack the knowledge, experience and mental faculty that grown ups have.
Thirdly, if you're going to be disingenuous or juvenile in your attempts at trying to make an argument, then I see this thread as nothing more than a mere shitpost.
bikers123Jul 24, 2016 9:57 AM

Jul 24, 2016 10:47 AM

Aug 2013
Beyond-Kayfabe said:
Sherlupin said:

First of all, respond to the entire post instead of conveniently picking out a single line and making a case out of it as if that was my entire point.
Secondly, 12 year olds aren't adults either and are still viewed as kids by grown ups as on average they lack the knowledge, experience and mental faculty that grown ups have.
Thirdly, if you're going to be disingenuous or juvenile in your attempts at trying to make an argument, then I see this thread as nothing more than a mere shitpost.

Okay look buddy, all I see is a offensed fanboy beating around the bush withought advancing any argument in favor of his pov.

you say FG/SP have innapropriate content unsuitable for children. What are they ? I'm waiting for an answer.

And please, don't say things like they contain jokes requiring "knowledge, experience and mental faculty that adults have"

this is what a mature show would include. These shows are the complete opposite of mature.
Jul 24, 2016 11:04 AM

Apr 2016
Sherlupin said:
Beyond-Kayfabe said:

Okay look buddy, all I see is a offensed fanboy beating around the bush withought advancing any argument in favor of his pov.

you say FG/SP have innapropriate content unsuitable for children. What are they ? I'm waiting for an answer.

And please, don't say things like they contain jokes requiring "knowledge, experience and mental faculty that adults have"

this is what a mature show would include. These shows are the complete opposite of mature.

Okay, you lose credibility when you use labels like 'fanboy' against someone you're arguing with so flippantly. It's going to take a lot more than what you have to offend me, but I do take issue with how you feign intellectual superiority and try to belittle people for having different taste than yours. I enjoy occasional episodes and scenes of FG/SP/AD, but am not particularly a fan, just to clear that out for you.

The 'knowledge, experience and mental faculty' line was used to differentiate grown ups and 12 year olds and was not meant to define the type of comedy that is present in these shows.

I never said that those shows are mature, what I said was that their target audience is adults. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you there.

The problem here is that you are hell bent on trying to make yourself seem superior because you find FG/SP type of humor juvenile and claim it to be for edgy teenagers and fail to see the irony that you're the only one here who is the edgelord. Nobody here is pretending to have intellectual or superior taste by liking a TV show, but here you are shoving your "intellect" down our throats by telling us how superior your taste in cartoons is.

Jul 24, 2016 11:24 AM

Aug 2013
Beyond-Kayfabe said:
Sherlupin said:

Okay, you lose credibility when you use labels like 'fanboy' against someone you're arguing with so flippantly. It's going to take a lot more than what you have to offend me, but I do take issue with how you feign intellectual superiority and try to belittle people for having different taste than yours. I enjoy occasional episodes and scenes of FG/SP/AD, but am not particularly a fan, just to clear that out for you.

The 'knowledge, experience and mental faculty' line was used to differentiate grown ups and 12 year olds and was not meant to define the type of comedy that is present in these shows.

I never said that those shows are mature, what I said was that their target audience is adults. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you there.

The problem here is that you are hell bent on trying to make yourself seem superior because you find FG/SP type of humor juvenile and claim it to be for edgy teenagers and fail to see the irony that you're the only one here who is the edgelord. Nobody here is pretending to have intellectual or superior taste by liking a TV show, but here you are shoving your "intellect" down our throats by telling us how superior your taste in cartoons is.

You've got it all wrong pal.

I say it's for 12 year old, it doesn't mean I'm saying it's bad.

There are plenty of shows for children that are better than shows aimed at adults.

When I say it's stupid and immature, I'm not belittling its viewers.

I myself like shows aimed at children, so stop accusing me of being an elitist

Just admit FG is not for adults and we're done

you are being stubborn now.

Jul 24, 2016 11:51 AM

Apr 2016
Sherlupin said:

You seem to be conflating shows targeted at adults and "mature" humor. They are not one and the same, and are two separate things. A TV show can be one without being the other.

I'm not being stubborn at all. I admit that the humor in FG is not particularly smart as it used to be in the first few seasons, but that doesn't mean it's something that is intended for kids. I'm not sure how old you are but trust me when I say this that most kids won't get the underlying meaning of most jokes as they have not been exposed to that kind of thematic content. Sure, they'll laugh at the obvious fart and poop joke and they'll enjoy it based on the content that is on the surface, but there is more to it than that. Not every show targeted at adults is going to have a serious tone, some are goofy and eccentric. Kids in particular like goofy and eccentric, as do many adults.

You're the one who's claiming that it is all fart and poop jokes, so the onus lies on you to prove that. Sift through the entire series and tell me that the show doesn't tackle themes and topics that kids would not be familiar with. In fact, I'd say you're being stubborn here.
bikers123Jul 24, 2016 11:58 AM

Jul 24, 2016 11:59 AM

Aug 2013
Beyond-Kayfabe said:
trust me when I say this that most kids won't get the underlying meaning of most jokes as they have not been exposed to that kind of thematic content.

I have asked for an example

give me an example
Jul 24, 2016 12:01 PM

Apr 2016
Sherlupin said:
Beyond-Kayfabe said:
trust me when I say this that most kids won't get the underlying meaning of most jokes as they have not been exposed to that kind of thematic content.

give me an example

Read my my previous post in its entirety.

Jul 24, 2016 12:02 PM

Aug 2013
Beyond-Kayfabe said:
Sherlupin said:

give me an example

there are no video clips in your post
Jul 24, 2016 12:10 PM

Apr 2016
Sherlupin said:
Beyond-Kayfabe said:

there are no video clips in your post

I never claimed to have a video clip in my post. I meant to highlight this for your incessant want of proof -
Beyond-Kayfabe said:

You're the one who's claiming that it is all fart and poop jokes, so the onus lies on you to prove that. Sift through the entire series and tell me that the show doesn't tackle themes and topics that kids would not be familiar with.

Jul 24, 2016 12:14 PM

Aug 2013
"Sift through the entire series and tell me that the show doesn't tackle themes and topics that kids would not be familiar with."

such as ?
Jul 24, 2016 12:27 PM

Apr 2016
Sherlupin said:
"Sift through the entire series and tell me that the show doesn't tackle themes and topics that kids would not be familiar with."

such as ?

If you still fail to see my point, I see no point in continuing this. It's like beating my head against a wall.

Just for the sake of closure I'll leave you with this - I'm not going to go through multiple lengthy episodes of shows and pick out examples to disprove a point that was never proven in the first place. It's a waste of time and energy.

Jul 24, 2016 1:29 PM
Jul 2015
A comedy for adults doesn't have to be mature. They are for adults because of what they talk about and how, even if the type of humour they use is unmature and stupid.

At least they are for adults in the way we use to classify what is and what is not. I also think their great mass of audience must be teenagers.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 22

9 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

97 by Ex-Aid »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

669 by Hitagi__Furude »»
3 hours ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

41 by ShimmyShimmur »»
4 hours ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by R-unknown »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.