Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 6, 2016 1:34 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was kinda interesting. The world setting and mysterious vibe of the Sarcophagus City along with the futuristic themes of the planetarium made this rather intriguing.

Animation is okay. Hoshino is adorable though as a robot and she offers guidance for Junker. The ED theme is okay, not too impressive not bad either.
Jul 6, 2016 1:51 PM

May 2013
as a robot, she quitely annoying.
and I wonder why the staffs weren't format or put her in hibernation and make her wander like that on empty planetarium.

salvager as a mc is new.
megmicaJul 6, 2016 1:55 PM
Jul 6, 2016 2:23 PM

Jan 2016
Ahhh! Seeing Yumemi and the Junker animated was great

To be honest, I didn't have any issues with this episode. I think they managed to portray the feel of the beginning parts of the VN, which was always a unique thing.

Can't wait to see how they handle the rest!
VN adaptations trigger me
Jul 6, 2016 2:37 PM

Jun 2013
wait wait its out already?

Edit: Just watched.

That was freaking amazing. Almost 1:1 with the novel and the last moment gave me the chills.

Yeah, i hope you people are ready to cry like babies
Murasa22Jul 6, 2016 3:19 PM
Jul 6, 2016 3:25 PM

Mar 2014
i remember playing this game like 7 years ago...on my PSP
Jul 6, 2016 3:33 PM

Dec 2014
Do they really need an entire episode to present the android as clueless and incompetent (oh wait, they thought this was cute) while showing the guy repeatedly got annoyed and seemed kinda short-tempered yet never reacted to the android in any way believable but also played along with her little game for the sake of the plot? It's obviously trying to say something critical, and to be emotional, but not in this clumsy and underwhelming way of storytelling.

When the whole humanity has gone to shit why would I care about a random robot that has zero personalities wandering in an abandoned facility which still has power and not scavenge them for anything useful?

I guess waifus are harder to come by post-apocalypse.
Jul 6, 2016 7:10 PM

Oct 2010
alyya said:

and I wonder why the staffs weren't format or put her in hibernation and make her wander like that on empty planetarium.

This is explained later. It makes logical sense too.
Jul 6, 2016 9:43 PM
Jul 2018
raveninthemuddle said:
Do they really need an entire episode to present the android as clueless and incompetent (oh wait, they thought this was cute) while showing the guy repeatedly got annoyed and seemed kinda short-tempered yet never reacted to the android in any way believable but also played along with her little game for the sake of the plot? It's obviously trying to say something critical, and to be emotional, but not in this clumsy and underwhelming way of storytelling.

When the whole humanity has gone to shit why would I care about a random robot that has zero personalities wandering in an abandoned facility which still has power and not scavenge them for anything useful?

It seems you haven't played the VN. The whole point of the story is that our protag Junker encounters with Yumemi. Yeah, she's kinda annoying due to being broken. The most reasonable answer to your statement about why Junker didn't dispose of Yumemi and scavenge her for something useful, is because Yumemi promised him to show the "starry sky", something that the Junker didn't witness because of the Rain caused by humanity's neverending war.
Everything in the anime goes according to the VN, and as far as I can tell, they did a good job. This anime is not your typical post-apocalyptic survival. If the name Key sounds familiar to you, you should know what you should expect.
Jul 6, 2016 11:48 PM

May 2013
--RazoR-- said:
raveninthemuddle said:

It seems you haven't played the VN. The whole point of the story is that our protag Junker encounters with Yumemi. Yeah, she's kinda annoying due to being broken. The most reasonable answer to your statement about why Junker didn't dispose of Yumemi and scavenge her for something useful, is because Yumemi promised him to show the "starry sky", something that the Junker didn't witness because of the Rain caused by humanity's neverending war.
Everything in the anime goes according to the VN, and as far as I can tell, they did a good job. This anime is not your typical post-apocalyptic survival. If the name Key sounds familiar to you, you should know what you should expect.

You shouldn't really expecting everyone read this VN, right?

I'm little curious with this 'Rain' phrase. what is this meaning?
literal rain, acid rain, asteroid rain striking earth or something like that?
Jul 6, 2016 11:52 PM

Dec 2014
--RazoR-- said:
It seems you haven't played the VN.

I've played enough VNs to know they're more or less the same, just like anime. Especially those made by Key.

--RazoR-- said:
The most reasonable answer to your statement about why Junker didn't dispose of Yumemi and scavenge her for something useful, is because Yumemi promised him to show the "starry sky", something that the Junker didn't witness because of the Rain caused by humanity's neverending war.

You know this is actually an okay plot point and motivation for Junker, and I'm sure there're paragraphs upon paragraphs of monologue or inner-thoughts from the MC to let us know what's going through his mind and telling us his view on the whole situation. But as far as the anime goes, they didn't make the connection or the reasoning of Junker's decision to help Yumemi out strong or clear. In other words, it isn't compelling.

--RazoR-- said:
This anime is not your typical post-apocalyptic survival.

Still one should expect the characters think and act like they're in a world that has gone to hell and looking for anything they can use to survive. That's the point of having a post-apocalyptic setting. Even Junker is a scavenger right from the start. It's laughable when Junker said he's looking for high-tech machinery yet he seemingly doesn't pay attention to the value that Yumemi (being a highly-sophisticated robot even for its time) and the whole complex can bring to the table. They could've used that to create some interesting scene where Yumemi has to make a stand of convincing Junker to leave her alone and Junker using charm or wit to trick Yumemi into submission (if that's part of his personality). That's way more interesting than him constantly being annoyed, Yumemi being clueless the whole time, and we have to look at his frowny face for the entire episode because there's a conflict of interest (i.e. drama).

--RazoR-- said:
If the name Key sounds familiar to you, you should know what you should expect.

You're right about expecting this kind of lackluster storytelling from Key, I sure had no expectations for this or any anime particularly, but I still have things to say regardless of expectations.
Jul 7, 2016 2:31 AM

Dec 2013
Perfect, perfect ! :)
The start was really good, gave me the same feeling of the VN.
That part when Jena doesn't work made me laugh poor Yumeni XD
The ed is ok, it reflects well the personality of Yumeni !
What do you think about the planetarium? That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter when....
Jul 7, 2016 7:11 AM

Oct 2014
crying every time I meet the message: this video is not available in your country :'(
huh how long must I wait again? :(

ps.: btw, guys, do see somebody's profile page first before replying his/her comment.
Of course an elitist like raven won't enjoy KEY, no use of trying to make him change his mind.
Jul 7, 2016 8:06 AM

Dec 2014
Revvie-chan said:
ps.: btw, guys, do see somebody's profile page first before replying his/her comment.
Of course an elitist like raven won't enjoy KEY, no use of trying to make him change his mind.

Throw out the E-word whenever someone has a different opinion. Keep being close-minded, that sure will help with your life in the long run.
Jul 7, 2016 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
It was a good episode!

Yumemi is so cute! Too bad that she was not able to show Junker the starry night since the machine was broken!
Jul 7, 2016 10:03 AM
Aug 2015
Where did you watch this at? I can't find it.
Jul 7, 2016 11:24 AM

Mar 2014
alyya said:
--RazoR-- said:

You shouldn't really expecting everyone read this VN, right?

I'm little curious with this 'Rain' phrase. what is this meaning?
literal rain, acid rain, asteroid rain striking earth or something like that?
The thing with the world is that it's raining almost all the time and that rain is deadly and destroys things (acid rain, basically, I forget what caused it exactly, think it was all the wars or something), but the anime seems to have ignored that for most part, MC walks in the rain without a problem.

Another thing the anime changed is how Yumemi didn't stand in the rain when she was talking to herself calling customers which added to her character in the VN because she was just idling in the deadly rain without a care (though I don't think it affected her much), but the anime kinda fixed that when MC walked away and left her alone and she kept talking, which added to her "brokeness" like that part was meant to. Just a random note.
Jul 7, 2016 11:47 AM

Oct 2014
raveninthemuddle said:
Revvie-chan said:

Throw out the E-word whenever someone has a different opinion. Keep being close-minded, that sure will help with your life in the long run.

lol E-word =D

well, you think you are not? With that score list of yours? :P
Jul 7, 2016 11:53 AM

Jul 2014
Is the episode meant to only be 19 minutes long?

EDIT: This is very obviously going to become very depressing by the time all is said and done, but until then I can definitely say that I enjoyed this episode quite a lot. Definitely one of the best first episodes I've seen this season, at the very least.
AtavisticJul 7, 2016 12:12 PM
Jul 7, 2016 12:06 PM

Nov 2015
danieltortoisee said:
Is the episode meant to only be 19 minutes long?

Yes. There should be 5 episodes total released on various streaming sites in promotion for the movie in September.
Jul 7, 2016 12:37 PM

Jun 2013
Very nice start! Cant wait to see more
Jul 7, 2016 12:43 PM
Jul 2018
Tbh I thought the episode was pretty meh with the start, and of course I haven't read the source compared to the others I've read. I felt like the entire episode was dragged for too long just to make a point across as to what the characters are, and yeah I'm not expecting action by a long shot either, but it just seemed like a drag rather than something for me to look forward to every once in a while.

I will give something here, this is actually does look better visually in terms of Key series for this series (of course with Rewrite coming along the lines) and the CGI actually fits more than the usual stuff, of course its because they're mechs. Music wise its not actually nice but I'll say its good, the ED is pretty nice as well. Other than that we'll see.

Btw am I the only one who thought that Yumemi's voice was rather annoying? Not bad, but rather annoying.
Jul 7, 2016 1:21 PM

Aug 2013
Now. Did you see? Did you see the huge gap between this and Rewrite? This is called a good adaptation, with good art and direction. My God, I'm so glad that Planetarian got a decent adaptation at least.

Revvie-chan said:

Haha. I wanted to write the same thing :D Ridiculous drop rate, super elitist shows in top. Well. It's really better to stop replying to users like him.
I know what I'm talking about, when I was in high school, I watched only super elitist things too, listening only to super elitist music etc. And then I grew up from this, because why not enjoy everything which is giving you, well, I don't like this word, but... fun.
rsc-plJul 7, 2016 1:33 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 7, 2016 1:27 PM

Feb 2010
This is going to end in a very, very sad way... right?
Jul 7, 2016 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
Janko said:
This is going to end in a very, very sad way... right?

I heard that Planetarian is really depressing.
Jul 7, 2016 1:33 PM
Jul 2018
rsc-pl said:
Now. Did you see? Did you see the huge gap between this and Rewrite? This is called a good adaptation, with good art and direction. My God, I'm so glad that Planetarian got a decent adaptation at least.

Revvie-chan said:

Haha. I wanted to write the same thing :D Ridiculous drop rate, super elitist shows in top. Well. It's really better to stop replying to users like him.
I know what I'm talking about, when I was in high school, I watched only super elitist things too, listening only to super elitist music etc. And then I grew up from this, because why not enjoy everything.

For the first comment Uh, how much did Planetarian adapted for the first episode?
and I can agree the Visual directing was pretty good... as expected from JoJo's director (yes, JoJo director)

For the second Uh, about the elitist thing... I used to be a try-hard elitist ass and back in highschool I did the same thing too, and after a year I grew out of it, and I tend to enjoy series a bit more than what I should.
Jul 7, 2016 1:39 PM

Apr 2014
At least Yumemi is still cute after all these years XD

Jul 7, 2016 1:46 PM

Sep 2014
TheLittleRedHero said:
rsc-pl said:

I know what I'm talking about, when I was in high school, I watched only super elitist things too, listening only to super elitist music etc. And then I grew up from this, because why not enjoy everything.

For the first comment Uh, how much did Planetarian adapted for the first episode?
and I can agree the Visual directing was pretty good... as expected from JoJo's director (yes, JoJo director)

For the second Uh, about the elitist thing... I used to be a try-hard elitist ass and back in highschool I did the same thing too, and after a year I grew out of it, and I tend to enjoy series a bit more than what I should.

Slow pacing beats fast pacing (*cough* Tensho *cough*). At least people will get to know the characters more rather than forget about them because the pacing was too fast (like in Rewrite). It's the usual Key formula of slow beginnings and then to the good stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

I bet that if you didn't read the Rewrite VN, you would see why Rewrite's 1st episode is bad. Being acquainted with the VN makes you bias to defend an anime no matter how bad it is. I been there. I did that with FSN UBW. I grew up from that.

This first episode got to...around 20% of the VN.

Anyway, the first episode was great. Since I read the VN, the staff are doing it perfectly. Might be the best Key adaptation since CLANNAD.

BTW Yumemi's VA is the same VA who voices Shizuru from Rewrite.

In fact, do read the Planetarian VN. It's only...3 hours average compared to 60 hours of Rewrite.

rsc-pl said:

Revvie-chan said:

I know what I'm talking about, when I was in high school, I watched only super elitist things too, listening only to super elitist music etc. And then I grew up from this, because why not enjoy everything which is giving you, well, I don't like this word, but... fun.

I'm just fucking depressed why can't KEY just wait for Rewrite. Maybe if Planetarian was a success, david production will do Rewrite too. But goddamn 8bit has to get it.
exleader75Jul 7, 2016 1:52 PM
Jul 7, 2016 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
exleader75 said:
TheLittleRedHero said:

Slow pacing beats fast pacing (*cough* Tensho *cough*). At least people will get to know the characters more rather than forget about them because the pacing was too fast (like in Rewrite). It's the usual Key formula of slow beginnings and then to the good stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

I bet that if you didn't read the Rewrite VN, you would see why Rewrite's 1st episode is bad. Being acquainted with the VN makes you bias to defend an anime no matter how bad it is. I been there. I did that with FSN UBW. I grew up from that.

This first episode got to...around 20% of the VN.

Anyway, the first episode was great. Since I read the VN, the staff are doing it perfectly. Might be the best Key adaptation since CLANNAD.

BTW Yumemi's VA is the same VA who voices Shizuru from Rewrite.

In fact, do read the Planetarian VN. It's only...3 hours average compared to 60 hours of Rewrite.

rsc-pl said:

I'm just fucking depressed why can't KEY just wait for Rewrite. Maybe if Planetarian was a success, david production will do Rewrite.

Well I didn't read the Visual Novel, but I have my doubts with pacing but sometimes when it comes to slow pacing, depending on the mood I am at, I can get rather... grumpy about it, or rather sour. Not saying the episode was bad but it just didn't really made me feel interested though. I guess I'm more of a "fast to the core" person (except rushed af adaptions, I'm just a person that wants to get straight to the point but that depends as well)

>Read the Planetarian VN

Tfw my internet is as slow as a turtle and will take me forever to download the Visual Novel.

But its good to hear that it got around that amount tbh. xD
Jul 7, 2016 2:00 PM

Jul 2011
Well if they're doing a 1:1 adaptation of the VN then I guess I'll skip out on reading it.

VNs like this tend to pick up closer to the end when pieces fall together. We'll see.
Jul 7, 2016 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
raveninthemuddle said:

I've played enough VNs to know they're more or less the same, just like anime. Especially those made by Key.

Playing enough VNs is not equal to playing the exact VN that anime is based on. Every story is different, and every story has a different impact. This story will teach you how humankind's real nature is (or something like that, you get the idea), not something like "A Junker's Everyday Life."

raveninthemuddle said:

You know this is actually an okay plot point and motivation for Junker, and I'm sure there're paragraphs upon paragraphs of monologue or inner-thoughts from the MC to let us know what's going through his mind and telling us his view on the whole situation. But as far as the anime goes, they didn't make the connection or the reasoning of Junker's decision to help Yumemi out strong or clear. In other words, it isn't compelling.

While you have a point, you should also mind that, if Junker would just destroy Yumemi, there would be no point to continue the story. He would wander around the cities that has already been scavenged and get killed by those robots or Rain and hunger would kill him one day. That's why I say play the VN first, to be familiar to the story. Yeah, Junker's irritated because of Yumemi, but he also has no choice but to stay there, it'll become clear as the episodes goes.

raveninthemuddle said:

Still one should expect the characters think and act like they're in a world that has gone to hell and looking for anything they can use to survive. That's the point of having a post-apocalyptic setting. Even Junker is a scavenger right from the start. It's laughable when Junker said he's looking for high-tech machinery yet he seemingly doesn't pay attention to the value that Yumemi (being a highly-sophisticated robot even for its time) and the whole complex can bring to the table. They could've used that to create some interesting scene where Yumemi has to make a stand of convincing Junker to leave her alone and Junker using charm or wit to trick Yumemi into submission (if that's part of his personality). That's way more interesting than him constantly being annoyed, Yumemi being clueless the whole time, and we have to look at his frowny face for the entire episode because there's a conflict of interest (i.e. drama).

After a 30 years long war, humankind is almost extinct. Even the biggest countries are destroyed. In a world like that, you may not even sell and make a profit of what you scavenged. There are less humans than you think in Planetarian's world. Junker has his own worries, and is also bored of this world. You get to know this in the VN via his inner thoughts. He wanted to experience something different, and see how things will go.
I know that I repeat myself so much, but I'm sure that you'll likely find your answers in Planetarian's VN.

Revvie-chan said:

I've checked his profile and seen that he watched Clannad, Little Busters, Air and Kanon as well, so I think he's familiar with the Key stories. He's watched more anime than I did, and I think he's more experienced than me. Everyone's not have to like everything, so I respect that. He just doesn't like Key stories.
Note to you, @raveninthemiddle , Little Busters!' and Clannad's stories make more sense when you play their VNs (especially Little Busters!'). I recommend you playing their VNs (and sorry to repeat this sentence a thousand of times.)
Jul 7, 2016 2:27 PM

Sep 2015
I've been excited for this for a while. The setting is pretty cool and I like the two MCs so far.
Jul 7, 2016 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
[quote=TheLittleRedHero message=46812824]
exleader75 said:

Well I didn't read the Visual Novel, but I have my doubts with pacing but sometimes when it comes to slow pacing, depending on the mood I am at, I can get rather... grumpy about it, or rather sour. Not saying the episode was bad but it just didn't really made me feel interested though. I guess I'm more of a "fast to the core" person (except rushed af adaptions, I'm just a person that wants to get straight to the point but that depends as well)

>Read the Planetarian VN

Tfw my internet is as slow as a turtle and will take me forever to download the Visual Novel.

This VN is 12 years old, and the unvoiced, old version is not even 100 MBs lol. You're not supposed to wait for hours, unless your internet is THAT slow, or there aren't enough seeders. Steam version is not that large too.
Jul 7, 2016 2:44 PM

Oct 2014
Mirorin said:
Well if they're doing a 1:1 adaptation of the VN then I guess I'll skip out on reading it.

VNs like this tend to pick up closer to the end when pieces fall together. We'll see.

you should still read it. It's just 5 hours long, and there are experiences you can only get by reading.
(same way the vice versa is also true. That's why we, VN reader, watch this. :D)

exleader75 said:

I'm just fucking depressed why can't KEY just wait for Rewrite. Maybe if Planetarian was a success, david production will do Rewrite too. But goddamn 8bit has to get it.

I can write an essay for this, but I guess no one would read it, so here's the short thing:
Revvie-chanJul 7, 2016 2:53 PM
Jul 7, 2016 2:49 PM

Oct 2012
I'm not prepared for the tears all over again, though I'm happy that at least one Key VN is getting a competent adaptation this season.
Jul 7, 2016 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
[quote=--RazoR-- message=46813236]
TheLittleRedHero said:
exleader75 said:

>Read the Planetarian VN

This VN is 12 years old, and the unvoiced, old version is not even 100 MBs lol. You're not supposed to wait for hours, unless your internet is THAT slow, or there aren't enough seeders. Steam version is not that large too.

My internet is THAT bad, especially during the summer season... I would then have to try downloading it somewhere, when I can that is x.x
Jul 7, 2016 3:17 PM
Jul 2016
Meh for me. Always felt that VN is the best form that could ever be for Planetarian, so it's that "book is better than the movie" rant all over again.
Jul 7, 2016 3:18 PM

Jan 2016
How does the planetarium have electricity???
Isn't this a post apocalyptic world? It's hard to believe that even if they had a backup generator,that it would last for 21 years....
Jul 7, 2016 3:26 PM

Jan 2013
Nice first episode, can see where this is going.
I like the animation and art style.
Jul 7, 2016 3:29 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that was about what I expected it to look like

Not a huge fan of Planetarian compared to other Key works tbh but I do feel like this could be better in anime form than VN form and also given the length we can also be guaranteed that it'll get a good adaptation (unlike Rewrite lol)
Jul 7, 2016 3:48 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The MC definitely will grow attached to that robot, the last scene was so good.

Nice setup for this and i can see this having feels all over.
Jul 7, 2016 3:53 PM

May 2015
That was a great watch. I especially loved that final scene. My feels are ready for this show.

Jul 7, 2016 3:54 PM

Dec 2014
Revvie-chan said:
lol E-word =D

well, you think you are not? With that score list of yours? :P

By your definition I guess I should call you a pleb by glancing on your list. Simple people, simple-minded. Delegitimatizing others by generalizing or stereotyping.

--RazoR-- said:
Playing enough VNs is not equal to playing the exact VN that anime is based on.

I don't need to spend a night on Gobi Desert to know it's hot at days and cold at nights when I've already been to Sahara, do I?

--RazoR-- said:
if Junker would just destroy Yumemi, there would be no point to continue the story.

It's about how the writer didn't use the identity of Junker as a scavenger to drive up some interesting interaction with Yumemi, who said anything about destroying the robot?

--RazoR-- said:
After a 30 years long war, humankind is almost extinct. Even the biggest countries are destroyed. In a world like that, you may not even sell and make a profit of what you scavenged. There are less humans than you think in Planetarian's world. Junker has his own worries, and is also bored of this world. You get to know this in the VN via his inner thoughts. He wanted to experience something different, and see how things will go.

Maybe in the VN it's a total different experience and actually went very smooth, but the anime adaptation needs to stand on its own and you can't just tell people to read/watch/play the source material just to get the bigger picture out of obligation, it needs to be encouraging as in you're the storyteller, that's your job.

--RazoR-- said:
I've checked his profile and seen that he watched Clannad, Little Busters, Air and Kanon as well, so I think he's familiar with the Key stories. He's watched more anime than I did, and I think he's more experienced than me. Everyone's not have to like everything, so I respect that. He just doesn't like Key stories.

Kudos to you for actually looking at things beyond other's scores, You have my respect.

--RazoR-- said:
Note to you, @raveninthemiddle , Little Busters!' and Clannad's stories make more sense when you play their VNs (especially Little Busters!'). I recommend you playing their VNs (and sorry to repeat this sentence a thousand of times.)

I would want to play them (maybe not all of them) if it was 10 years ago when I was still enthusiastic about playing those expensive and time consuming and soon-to-be disappointing VNs. Nowadays with so many things going on it's inevitable that there's gonna be better options. Anime adaptations exist for that reason.
Jul 7, 2016 3:58 PM

Jun 2013
I can't stand these people bashing Rewrite..MAL is indeed a cancerous community.

Anyway, this episode went too fast...i wish it was a 24min lenght episode :(
Jul 7, 2016 4:05 PM

Feb 2014
Murasa22 said:
I can't stand these people bashing Rewrite..MAL is indeed a cancerous community.

Considering it was only 18 minutes, it could hint that the staff knows what they are doing. I am excited for this, it will be a nice and short story.
Jul 7, 2016 4:07 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I'm actually surprised that i really enjoyed it.
Really looking forward for the rest.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 7, 2016 4:14 PM

Oct 2013
I liked this. I didn't even know about the VN until I read the main MAL entry on this series.

The setting is compelling. I'm a sucker for ruined post-Apocalyptic landscapes.

Maybe the constant rain is the result of the earth being warmed by constant warfare? Some type of advanced weaponry? Nuclear strikes would cause "nuclear winter" so perhaps something else.
Jul 7, 2016 4:17 PM

Oct 2009
raveninthemuddle said:
Do they really need an entire episode to present the android as clueless and incompetent (oh wait, they thought this was cute) while showing the guy repeatedly got annoyed and seemed kinda short-tempered yet never reacted to the android in any way believable but also played along with her little game for the sake of the plot?

There's more happening than simple characterization. The core of the story is about the relationship between Yumemi and the Junker, with the core thematic element being the relationship between robots and humans (keep in mind the compared treatment between him and the guardian robots at the beginning). On top of that, there is actual narrative thrust here (Jena is broken and -for some reason- the Junker plays along). Regarding the supposed lack of motivation of the Junker, I'll say there is a reason (sadly they couldn't mention in in the 18 minute period and instead opted to finish with the heartwarming image of him changing his mind) but the anime doesn't need to lay all of its cards on the table at once. This will be made explicit in time.

It's obviously trying to say something critical, and to be emotional, but not in this clumsy and underwhelming way of storytelling.

What I think you're describing isn't poor storytelling but a laid-back and empathetic tone. The post-apocalyptic setting isn't the plot, it's the staging.

Because that's what the anime is framing as the important conflict. The anime isn't trying to focus on the logistics of this world. It's about the relationship that emerges between a human and a robot.
Jul 7, 2016 4:23 PM
Jul 2018
Murasa22 said:

Well MAL is rather cancerous in forums at times (not all the time of course).
Jul 7, 2016 4:29 PM

Oct 2009
For my thoughts --

I didn't really like the ED. The song was OK, but the chibi Yumemi kinda "dehumanizes" her which I think will hurt in the long run.

I also didn't really know what the purpose of the old dude telling the Junker to "stay away from Yumemi." I don't remember that from the VN (it's been a few years) but that sequence felt a little out of place, even if it was just a dream sequence.

Otherwise, I have no complaints. This episode was everything I hoped for. Can't wait to meet Gentle Jena!
Jul 7, 2016 4:37 PM

Mar 2015
I sort of have a semi-bias against robot when it comes to emotional connection. If Yumemi could prove herself as a sentient one that might helps a lot.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 3, 2016

179 by Grilled_Soup »»
Apr 13, 4:26 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 27, 2016

92 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:58 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

rsc-pl - Jul 20, 2016

100 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:32 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 13, 2016

79 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:09 PM

» Anime vs VN

Cleferest - Aug 4, 2016

14 by MikeWazowskiMiky »»
May 26, 2023 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.