Forum Settings
Forums

English dubs are indescribably horrific - Why?

New
Jul 6, 2016 9:19 AM

Sep 2009
My roommate sometimes watches dubbed anime, and while most if it is merely garbage, some parts just sound so disgustingly retarded and cringeworthy, hearing it feels like brain cancer.
Why do they do this? Why are so many dubs so goddamned bad? It's no wonder so many people consider anime a joke, or "chinese cartoons" when the most readily available anime is dubbed shit.
To you stupid off-topic hoes, I'm aware of the good dubs (Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop, etc), but are they the face of anime to the West? Nope.
MortalMelancholyJul 6, 2016 9:34 AM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 6, 2016 9:22 AM

Mar 2014
Majority of English dubs aren't produced by #quality companies

FUCKETERYmation & c:o mostly hire untalented C or D-list voice actors instead of professional VAs

There's your answer
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 6, 2016 9:23 AM

Nov 2015
Dammit I was just about to make a thread about this.
The thing is that western cartoons, no matter how dark they are, almost never have the kind of realism and attention to detail as anime does. It's just so different from anime that western voice acting just doesn't suit the medium well enough.

Jul 2014
What dubs have you heard or listened to, OP?

Sep 2009
Comic_Sans said:

FUCKETERYmation & c:o mostly hire untalented C or D-list voice actors instead of professional VAs

There's your answer

Would it help if I hunt down and kill all of the bad voice actors?

D-ohnuts said:

Roommate was watching some soul eater and some of that one anime about the foo' that don't got friends, but does have a harem.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jul 6, 2016 9:24 AM

Apr 2010
I won't be surprised if it has anything with being usual to watch animes without English dubs. Who said Japanese dub is good for American cartoons. It may also be differences in culture

Jul 6, 2016 9:24 AM

May 2015
Most of them yes but not all of It,There are those shows that really were brought to life with the dub.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2016 9:26 AM

May 2015
Because the VA industry for anime dubs is lacking and few dubs truly sound that good. Nowadays, all dubs are decent when done by stuff like Funimation, but they ain't all-star.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 6, 2016 9:27 AM

Mar 2014
MortalMelancholy said:
Comic_Sans said:

There's your answer

Most likely

Most, if not all, anime dubbing companies would probably have to close though but I don't think it would such a huge loss
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 6, 2016 9:27 AM

Jul 2016
The original is always better, thats just how it is with every medium.
Jul 6, 2016 9:28 AM
Sep 2015
Example of a dub improving would be; Ghost Stories
Jul 6, 2016 9:28 AM

May 2015
What if the Japanese dubs are equally retarded and cringeworthy and the English dubs are just faithful to the original?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2016 9:31 AM

Dec 2015
English dub tends to nail western-inspired shows though. CB, Hellsing, FMAB and Baccano got their shit right. I just think it's a matter of putting more animes in the hands of quality companies. If it was the case I'd probably be more open to watching dubs, especially being the Laura Bailey fag that I am.
Jul 6, 2016 9:31 AM
Sep 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
My roommate sometimes watches dubbed anime, and while most if it is merely garbage, some parts just sound so disgustingly retarded and cringeworthy, hearing it feels like brain cancer.
Why do they do this? Why are so many dubs so goddamned bad? It's no wonder so many people consider anime a joke, or "chinese cartoons" when the most readily available anime is dubbed shit.

Because you are a sub elitist and have never given good dubs a chance. Obviously the Japanese dub is almost always the safer choice when starting a new anime because the VA actor industry is more developed in Japan and because anime is made with Japanese standards in mind thus most of the time Japanese VA's know better how to act in some situations we westerners are not used to.

But even so there are dubs that outclass the Japanese ones by a huge margin. There are anime where if you watch the sub you are missing out on something great. So it's better for you to keep an open mind and try some dubs out before immediately going to forums and saying they are terrible. Sure, there are bad dubs and you may stumble on more bad ones if you don't do your research before starting a new anime but saying all of them suck is a horrible generalisation that only sub elitists do.
Jul 6, 2016 9:34 AM

Dec 2015
Omni_slash95 said:

Nope not true.
Panty & Stocking, Beck, Michiko to Hatchin.
These are all undoubtedly better dubbed than subbed.
Jul 6, 2016 9:39 AM

May 2016
What's the difference between a 'good' and 'horrific dub'. As in describe the difference in non abstract terms.

As it stands its seems a rather arbitrary distinction...
Jul 6, 2016 9:43 AM

Jul 2016
Bobby2Hands said:
Omni_slash95 said:

Nope not true.

Haven't watched them so can't say. But for me the original is always just better and more authentic even if the Dub might be good (like it is with Cowboy Bebop).

Its not just with anime, I prefer to watch tv shows and play games in english too even if I'm german.
Jul 6, 2016 9:44 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Dubs in general tend to suck, not just dubs into the English language.

The WoW German dub is like listening to nails on a chalkboard for example

and every German dub of everything really, unless it's something originally from here

Jul 6, 2016 9:45 AM

Nov 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
Omni_slash95 said:

Nope not true.

The first two are pretty wester-looking though. P&S in particular
Jul 6, 2016 9:46 AM

Dec 2015
Gesu- said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Nope not true.

The last one is set in Brazil, how is that not western?
Jul 6, 2016 9:51 AM

Jun 2016
I think you are blowing think way out of proportion.
Jul 6, 2016 9:51 AM

Nov 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
Gesu- said:

The last one is set in Brazil, how is that not western?

Haven't seen that one lol
Is it the one with Michiko malandro in it by any chance?
Jul 6, 2016 9:52 AM

Oct 2014
We got used to hearing japanese for anime that even if the dub was good it'll still sound wrong. Imagine growing up watching spongebob in english then suddenly you hear japanese spongebob..it's going to sound off.

Basically it's not the language but we're not used to it and majority of the english va's just really suck..for dubbing, it's not like they can afford to find good quality VA's most of the time..so yeah

If you don't like Kaneki there's a 90 percent chance you didn't read the manga.
Read it now.
Just do it.
Don't question it mongrel.

Rating System l Anime List l Manga List

My manga list is a more accurate representation of my preferences
Cease your thievery of my wine.
Jul 6, 2016 9:56 AM

Jun 2014
I just dislike how they have to pronounce the Japanese names 100% accurate to the native pronunciation, so like in Naruto or something it will be like, "I will bring back my friend うちは サスケ if it's the last thing I do!!!" or "竹林さん how's those boxed lunches today?".

It's really jarring and makes me not want to watch them, other than that they're good.
Jul 6, 2016 9:59 AM

Jun 2015
I find that to enjoy dubs; all you have to do is get used to it. I watched the Sword Art Online dub and I thought it was horrendous at first, but after 3 or 4 episodes, it started sounding pretty okay. Same thing happened with a bunch of other dubs. You just gotta get used to it.
Jul 6, 2016 10:08 AM

Apr 2016
Most of the times it just doesn't fit the setting/mood of the show and other times the VA is shitty as fuck or it's both. They dub it just for the sake of dubbing without putting forth any real effort into it, just like most dubs in general (movies, TV shows, etc.). We're also used to watching anime in Japanese, thus it just feels weird. Imagine watching Leonardo di Caprio speaking Swahili for an entire movie.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Jul 6, 2016 10:13 AM

Jun 2016
I think they've greatly improved over time, really. If you go back and watch dubs from the mid-to-late 90's (Early DBZ, Pokemon, Gundam Wing) you can tell the world of difference.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Jul 6, 2016 10:17 AM

Apr 2015
Oh wow another circle jerk hate thread about dubs.

Have you not learned what subjective means?
Jul 6, 2016 10:18 AM

Oct 2014
bikers123 said:
Most of the times it just doesn't fit the setting/mood of the show and other times the VA is shitty as fuck or it's both. They dub it just for the sake of dubbing without putting forth any real effort into it, just like most dubs in general (movies, TV shows, etc.). We're also used to watching anime in Japanese, thus it just feels weird. Imagine watching Leonardo di Caprio speaking Swahili for an entire movie.

Imagining Italian batman atm

Yeah the lack of effort shows..when you compare dubs to media that have english as their original language it's way too different since there was actual effort put into those voices.

If you don't like Kaneki there's a 90 percent chance you didn't read the manga.
Read it now.
Just do it.
Don't question it mongrel.

Rating System l Anime List l Manga List

My manga list is a more accurate representation of my preferences
Cease your thievery of my wine.
Jul 6, 2016 10:20 AM

Oct 2015
Coz dubs usually tend to suck.
Try watching disney movies japanese dubbed. Or hollywood movies hindi dubbed.
And while there are obviously some exceptions, thats how its generally is.
English dubbed animes are no exception.
This is coming from someone who almost exclusively watches English dubbed animes.

~This world is a cruel place~
Jul 6, 2016 10:28 AM

Nov 2015
I think this is a pretty elitist attitude. I only watch dubs. Yeah. You know why? Because I only speak and understand english. It doesn't make sense to watch something in a language I can't understand. Every single time I watch a sub, I just cannot get into it. I can't tell that difference between a good or bad sub. Maybe all the subs I watched were awful, or all amazing. Can't tell the difference.

The point being, if you like subs, whatever, But kindly don't have the stupid attitude that 'if it's dubbed, it's cancer'. Because guess what? Literally everyone on this thread speaks english. Do you go up to people and tell them that they have stupid voices? No. Opinions are fine, but no need to bash dubs, which are TOTALLY OPTIONAL, by the way. No one is forcing you to watch all your shows dubbed by gunpoint. Just chill.
Jul 6, 2016 10:32 AM
Mar 2011
to me its not bad acting its bad translating not actor gievn a Butchered scirpt can be excpted to act it well
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 6, 2016 10:34 AM

Aug 2013
Because they just are.
They're poorly made and the voice actors are usually shit.
Jul 6, 2016 10:34 AM

Aug 2015
You guys wanted anime to be more popular, there you go. Instead of keeping it only in Japan, you take a risk by having others dub it for a more mainstream audience. If people cared so much about dubbing, maybe we would have "FanDubs" and set an industry standard like Fansubs. Whether the dubs are good or bad; they are still making money because people are buying it before hearing the dubs. Instead of some of the cringey Abridged series, let's see some legit Fandubs.
“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”Lao Tzu

Jul 6, 2016 10:46 AM

Mar 2014
I think this is a pretty elitist attitude. I only watch dubs.
I smell a contradiction
Yeah. You know why? Because I only speak and understand english. It doesn't make sense to watch something in a language I can't understand.
Why doesn't it make sense? If you had been talking about watching anime RAW without having any knowledge of the language then it would've made sense, but since the subtitles are there to translate what's being said your argument doesn't make much sense
Every single time I watch a sub, I just cannot get into it. I can't tell that difference between a good or bad sub. Maybe all the subs I watched were awful, or all amazing. Can't tell the difference.
Different styles of acting
The point being, if you like subs, whatever, But kindly don't have the stupid attitude that 'if it's dubbed, it's cancer'.
Why not? You refuse to watch anything subtitled because you think subs = cancer, if you have the right to have your attitude then so should sub elitists
Because guess what? Literally everyone on this thread speaks english.
Speaking English ≠ being a native English speaker. None of my native tongues are English, that doesn't mean I'll watch English speaking movies/TV series/cartoons dubbed just because it's not my native tongue.
Do you go up to people and tell them that they have stupid voices? No.
Having a stupid voice ≠ being bad at voice acting. Besides, criticizing somebody's work isn't the same thing as criticizing them personally, so your comparison doesn't make sense
Opinions are fine, but no need to bash dubs, which are TOTALLY OPTIONAL, by the way. No one is forcing you to watch all your shows dubbed by gunpoint. Just chill.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech
Nico- said:
Jul 6, 2016 10:47 AM
Jan 2014
MortalMelancholy said:
Comic_Sans said:

There's your answer

D-ohnuts said:

Roommate was watching some soul eater and some of that one anime about the foo' that don't got friends, but does have a harem.

Soul Eater has a great dub. Sorry about your bad opinion.
Jul 6, 2016 10:57 AM
Sep 2015
Omni_slash95 said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Nope not true.

Haven't watched them so can't say. But for me the original is always just better and more authentic even if the Dub might be good (like it is with Cowboy Bebop).

Its not just with anime, I prefer to watch tv shows and play games in english too even if I'm german.

Also FMAB, Baccano!, Black Butler, Black Lagoon, Hellsing, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Death Note, Steins;Gate, Darker than Black, Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne.
Jul 6, 2016 10:58 AM
Feb 2016
Because English/American accents are undoubtedly less sexy than the Japanese accent. I'd like to see a dubber try and match Takahiro Sakurai's or Takehito Koyasu's voice.
defunct0001Jul 6, 2016 11:34 AM
Jul 6, 2016 11:00 AM

Aug 2015
Full Metal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Death Note, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop Movie; all of them had watchable dubs, if not better. Also RWBY has amazing Dubs and it's one of the closest things we have to anime here. Better series = better dubs. Don't forget you have people who hate the Subs for Future Diary for Yuno's voice. They called it annoying or too high pitched. Don't forget Yu Yu Hakisho, School Rumble and Azumanga Daioh.
LogicalInjusticeJul 6, 2016 11:06 AM

Jul 6, 2016 11:02 AM

Dec 2015
TiaDee said:
Omni_slash95 said:

Also FMAB, Baccano!, Black Butler, Black Lagoon, Hellsing, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Death Note, Steins;Gate, Darker than Black, Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne.

And many more.
I was just naming a couple that are clearly better in English.
The ones you mentioned are arguable whether the English or Japanese versions are better.
Jul 6, 2016 11:07 AM

Apr 2015
Mfw when people are comparing a language they understand to a language they don't understand.

Jul 6, 2016 11:08 AM

Sep 2014
LogicalInjustice said:
You guys wanted anime to be more popular, there you go. Instead of keeping it only in Japan, you take a risk by having others dub it for a more mainstream audience. If people cared so much about dubbing, maybe we would have "FanDubs" and set an industry standard like Fansubs. Whether the dubs are good or bad; they are still making money because people are buying it before hearing the dubs. Instead of some of the cringey Abridged series, let's see some legit Fandubs.
have you considered the logistics of fandubbing. It'd be massive undertaking that would dwarf fansubbing.

Jul 6, 2016 11:14 AM
Aug 2014
Another day, another dub hate thread.
I watch eveything that has a dub dubbed, simply because i dislike reading subtitles. It makes the experience less relaxing and less immersive for me.
As for dub quality i think most of this is just circlejerk. Some few, but not the majority BY FAR, of dubs are horrible. The vast majority (for example most funimation dubs) are nothing special but just fine, and some dubs are better than the original (For example i liked the german dub of Chuunibyou more than the one episode i watched subbed)

Also Greg Ayres for president!
I do think that the average Japanese dub is definitely better though, and if i wouldnt dislike subtitles so much or would be able to understand Moonspeak id propably watch the Japanese dub most of the time.
Jul 6, 2016 11:15 AM

Aug 2015
ScarletSentry said:
LogicalInjustice said:
have you considered the logistics of fandubbing. It'd be massive undertaking that would dwarf fansubbing.

At least it would show that people are largely interested in it. Look at what groups such as HorribleSubs. Bakedfish, and MonoSubs. If we had just 1 good dubbing group and people started using them, it shows the market wants quality dubs and would actually stop buying American Dubs etc over Subs because of quality.

Don't expect better dubbing if there is no market for it. You have enough people bitching that Japan should only handle anime, but you hear cries about bad dubbing. Why should we even try if there is not a market for it and what we are making is selling regardless. Quantity > Quality in regards to sales.

Jul 6, 2016 11:16 AM

Jun 2007
MortalMelancholy said:
To you stupid off-topic hoes, I'm aware of the good dubs (Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop, etc), but are they the face of anime to the West? Nope.
Soul Eater might be "the face of anime" to some extent, but niche shows like Haganai definitely aren't. If someone's choosing to watch the dub for a show like that, chances are they're already an anime fan and aren't going to think the whole medium is a Chinese joke. Along with Hellsing and Bebop, many other generally-regarded-as-good dubs can stake a claim as "the face of anime," like FMA, FLCL, Outlaw Star, Trigun, DBZ, Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakusho, Wolf's Rain, and (maybe?) Inuyasha and Death Note. Even dubs with questionable adaptation choices like Robotech, Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh, and Sailor Moon managed to bring waves of people into the fandom. The main reason I believe dubs get a bad rap these days is because of the "First Audio Track Wins" effect, where people have previously seen the Japanese versions, and react in an "it's different from what I'm used to, so I can't stop cringing!" way.

It's no coincidence that many of the dubs listed above aired on TV in an era before widespread exposure to the Japanese audio tracks during the Japanese broadcasts was commonplace. And we're supposed to believe that the actors, writers, and directors involved in those dubs never worked in the industry again (provably false), or somehow only did good work on those specific projects? The Naruto and Bleach dubs might possibly have joined the "The only good dub is a dub from my childhood" club, if the shows had been made before the digital fansub era like Pokemon/Digimon/Yugioh.

DateYutaka said:
to me its not bad acting its bad translating not actor gievn a Butchered scirpt can be excpted to act it well
I'd expect better acting out of a "butchered" script adapted for Western audiences than from a stilted, ultra-literal subtitle script readthrough.
Zac said:
What's better is how well the new lines are delivered; Hilary Haag and Chris Patton knock their performances out of the park. Clearly they have some talent for comedy and it shines more in material written for an American audience rather than the usual eye-roll-inducing Japanese-style comedy so prevalent in other anime. It's fascinating to see how well these actors can perform when they're either ad-libbing or reading lines that weren't meant to be said in a different language; the result is a very fluid and extremely funny dub experience that's not to be missed.

LogicalInjustice said:
At least it would show that people are largely interested in it. Look at what groups such as HorribleSubs. Bakedfish, and MonoSubs.
I don't know about MonoSubs, but since HorribleSubs and BakedFish present the exact same subs that official localization companies produce, they prove that official companies' work is quite popular, or at least not unacceptable enough to justify waiting for fan edits of those subs, let alone original fanmade translations.
ZalisJul 6, 2016 11:20 AM
Jul 6, 2016 11:18 AM

Jun 2015
Anime isn't as profitable as other media, so they tend to put less effort.

Dubs have been improving a lot as of late, though.

Aug 2015
leNerd said:
Another day, another dub hate thread.
I watch eveything that has a dub dubbed, simply because i dislike reading subtitles. It makes the experience less relaxing and less immersive for me.
As for dub quality i think most of this is just circlejerk. Some few, but not the majority BY FAR, of dubs are horrible. The vast majority (for example most funimation dubs) are nothing special but just fine, and some dubs are better than the original (For example i liked the german dub of Chuunibyou more than the one episode i watched subbed)

The worst part is when it starts fucking up in your media player. I use De-interlacing and sometimes my Subtitles get messed up [out of sync] and they also eat more CPU than audio does.

Jul 2015
I think it has to do with the way Japanese speak vs. Americans.

I don't know about Japan, but Americans don't talk like how an anime character would talk in subs. They probably sound terrible because we've gotten so used to subs.
Jul 6, 2016 11:19 AM
Mar 2011
as iv stated above its not the actors fault its traslatore its joke to them thats fault
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 6, 2016 11:19 AM

Dec 2015
leNerd said:

He's got my vote.
At the very least he would be a better president than Trump or Clinton.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

35 by DesuMaiden »»
1 minute ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

32 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 8 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 6 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

17 by DesuMaiden »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.