Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Taboo Tattoo
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2016 10:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty generic stuff. We got introduction of the typical MC (guy named Justice..)

They also picked some of the weirdest names for the show. Bluesy Fluesy? Really? But still, it was a rather average first episode with supernatural gags imo. That silly face though...

At least, they did introduce the basic concepts of the series with the supernatural tattoo gimmick. I'm pretty sure this will be 1 cour adaptation but we'll see.
Jul 4, 2016 12:02 PM

Jun 2015
Great first episode. The fights looked amazing. The story seems really interesting. And im liking the characters so far.
Grimgar season 2 please!!!!
Jul 4, 2016 12:02 PM

Jun 2014
Don't accept things from strangers !!

Jul 4, 2016 12:15 PM
Apr 2016
Probably dropping this. The plot sounded interesting, but wasn't very well executed in my opinion. It doesn't help that the character designs are pretty forgettable and the OST is just average
Jul 4, 2016 12:22 PM

Aug 2015
I guess it was ok. Seems somewhat generic but I'll give it a shot. The fighting was kind of cool.
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Nice fight scenes. Nice female MC, she's fun.

Jan 2012
Holy fuck, the childhood friend's big, beautiful tits! XD Best-girl confirmed! XD

Anyway fairly standard first episode, but the fights were pretty nice to look at.
Jul 4, 2016 12:29 PM

Jul 2007
What is this? A Show from JC Staff that is actually DECENT, has a good animation and good directing? HOW. WHEN. DID HELL FREEZE OVER?!?!?

The episode starts out with some VERY interesting cinematographic shots. The way the camera moves, the way the characters are animated. It especially shines during the action sequences, which are filled with interesting camera angles and good sense of speed.

Animation quality is between nice and high too and the character designs are nice and VERY nicely shaded.

Story wise this starts as basically bootleg FSN, but without complex and interesting protagonist. A dude gets involved in a supernatural conflict, tattoos on the arms, female heroine starts out being hostile but will obviously come around, etc. Then it evolves into some sort of military/spy/hitech/magic hybrid. Can't get a clear feel so far and there are some nationalistic vibes(or might not be I cant be sure whether they are portraying US as "the enemy" or not). I am certainly interested. Also REALLY like that the MC is not useless and is actually damn good at fighting.

If we were to look at the downsides of the ep, then yet again the CGI is relatively meh(albeit the directing and the way it is used sometimes makes up for it) and there's quite a bit of fanservice physics involved.

4/5 for the first episode.
Jul 4, 2016 12:35 PM

Jan 2013
I'm surprised this isn't based on a light novel. We even have the classic "As you already know this world bla bla insert info dump"

anyway that was quite bad.
Not going any further than this.

Also the scene with him having the toast in his mouth was barely animated. Looked pretty funny.
Jul 4, 2016 12:35 PM

May 2010
ashtherobot said:
Probably dropping this. The plot sounded interesting, but wasn't very well executed in my opinion. It doesn't help that the character designs are pretty forgettable and the OST is just average

i feel very similar about this one. will give it a chance but dont see myself finishing it judging by the first episode. its feels like that one of them typical generic af shows that i always end up dropping every season because they put me to sleep.
Jul 4, 2016 12:37 PM

Jul 2015
Damn, this was actually really good, the story is nothing special (I didn't expect much, honestly), but the action scenes were awesome and damn, it was fun to watch.

Nice comedy and great action, I'm sold for now, looking forward for more of... Bluesy Fluesy... and JUSTICE!... I can't stop laughing.
Jul 4, 2016 12:43 PM

Oct 2012
Wow judging from the OP and some characters shown we'll be getting at least as far as the manga is translated atm, and I guess I'm excited for that.

I've always wanted to see Izzy animated and it was super satisfying to see her again.

Decent start, let's hope it continues well and man I wonder at what point in the manga they'll be finishing this adaptation
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Jul 4, 2016 12:44 PM

Sep 2015
It seemed decent, even if the plot is maybe a bit too 'classic'
The fight scene was intense, good sound effect
need to watch the next episode to get a clearer idea
Jul 4, 2016 12:49 PM
Jul 2018
Well this was pretty bad. The action scenes were kinda decent at least and when he used his tattoo was kinda cool.
Jul 4, 2016 1:05 PM

Nov 2014
The character art is simple but nice to look at. I like JC Staff's shading.

Some of the animation looked stiff like a Flash cartoon. It seems like they allocated their resources mainly to the fight scenes, which looked great.

The jokes at the beginning were cringe-inducing. The first real laugh for me happened when Touko called out Bluesy's poor attempt at stalking. That was funny.

The Void Maker attack was badass. I want to see how that's utilized, and what it means in the grand scheme of things.

A decent start.

4/5
Jul 4, 2016 1:06 PM

Aug 2015
The character designs look like a cross between Heavy Object and Prison School's character designs mixed together. The actual animation was probably around the level of Heavy Object's, can't say if it'll get any better. I guess J.C Staff had their hands full with Shokugeki S2 and Amanchu so I can see why this show may not look the best.
Jul 4, 2016 1:09 PM

Dec 2014
Not bad for now.
They introduce the tattoo things and I hope it will be used Well.
The characters are okay, Sort of, indeed they are generic But The female mc is cute.
The action scenes Good too, the only question is The plot. If they succeed with it That will be a mediocre anime
Jul 4, 2016 1:14 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The action choreography and cinematography is great. Everything else, not so much. But it can be a guilty pleasure series.

3/5
Jul 4, 2016 1:14 PM

Jan 2015
So that's the "Comedy" element of this Anime. I don't believe it at first though, but after see it now I realize it can be funny in its own way. LOL
Also the CQC are pretty neat-looking.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jul 4, 2016 1:21 PM
Mar 2013
i'll follow this for the fighting, can't find anything other to praise
Jul 4, 2016 1:27 PM

Mar 2016
Well, honestly a decent start. Yeah, the plot might seem to be straightforward. But still decent . I mostly joined in at first for the grills and fights which are cool imo lol btw love the OP.
Shishou_23Jul 4, 2016 2:31 PM
Jul 4, 2016 1:31 PM

Dec 2014
That was a decent start though it did feel fairly typical.

The action sequences are great, I'm loving how they're moving the camera during the fights. Makes the sequence have a real intense feel to it and it also really helps that it's about martial arts. The first fight gave me 'The Breaker' vibes, Second didn't though. :P

Doesn't seem extraordinary when it comes to the storyline but they did a decent job at introductions. Liking the MC and both the girls so far.

That muscle guys skin was torn right off with the void power :o
Looks like Justice got one of the more powerful tattoo's.

Seems like a decent show, If nothing else I can watch it for the action at least.
Jul 4, 2016 1:31 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Apart from Zestiria, this show easily has the best animation this season....Holy fuck it was so good

Also I dunno about anyone else but so far Izzy is my pick for best girl.....She can kick ass, has a decent personality and is beyond cute lol

I read the first chapter of this when the anime got announced (And they adapted it pretty well too) so I already knew the premise and it's pretty decent.....The action scenes were really good though and I like the MC and his female friend especially since the MC isn't a weak/useless crybaby

Glad to see that JC actually put some budget into this and didn't censor anything too....The OP and ED are alright as well
TokoyaJul 4, 2016 1:50 PM
Jul 4, 2016 1:36 PM
Jun 2016
Well i loved it, couldn't stop watching, if nothing else then it's intriguing.
Jul 4, 2016 1:39 PM
Mar 2008
Apart from the fights, i dont see anything in here to praise. This is as generic as it gets.
Jul 4, 2016 1:41 PM

Sep 2014
Can't this type of humor just disappear from anime forever? It's not as bad as in some other shows (like Bungou Stray Dogs) but still takes away from what could be a decently fun series.
Jul 4, 2016 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
It was not a bad start for a first episode!

Bluesy's personality seems so decent! She is so badass!

Jan 2014
Well, this had a great start. Great action scenes, relatable main character, etc. I'm pretty interested in seeing where it goes from here.

Dec 2009
First episode was definitely interesting and I loved the fight scenes (I'm always a sucker for series involving martial arts). The fact the main character, Justice, was able to fight so well even without supernatural powers was great.
Jul 4, 2016 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
The episode was truly enjoyable for me to watch, aside from that, no complaints considering the first episode completely adapted the first chapter, which its 90 pages worth of content. I was actually surprised in all honesty in the end.
Jul 4, 2016 1:50 PM

Apr 2015
Decent enough.

It's off-beat humor reminds me of FMAB except it actually amused me more than FMAB.
Jul 4, 2016 1:54 PM

May 2014
This was a little... weird?

Some of the animation was a bit off, at one point an arm movement and then when the blood spewed from MC's mouth, something about it just seemed /odd/. I'm no expert so I can't say what it was.

The characters haven't grabbed me like some of the first episodes of this season; and brunette school chum is just the generic fanservice character, right?

Will watch the next episode purely because of the animation of the MC vs Lieutenant girl fight, but I may drop this one.
Jul 4, 2016 1:56 PM

Oct 2014
Seigi no Mikata [x]
Martial Artist [x]
OP Power [x]
Childhood Wife [x]

Well, let's see where this will go.
Jul 4, 2016 2:00 PM

Jan 2015
The story seems interesting, but the way they integrate CGI is awful.
It seems to be worth watching only for the fight scenes.

Jul 4, 2016 2:13 PM

Aug 2015
Grimmbae said:
This was a little... weird?

Some of the animation was a bit off, at one point an arm movement and then when the blood spewed from MC's mouth, something about it just seemed /odd/. I'm no expert so I can't say what it was.

The characters haven't grabbed me like some of the first episodes of this season; and brunette school chum is just the generic fanservice character, right?

Will watch the next episode purely because of the animation of the MC vs Lieutenant girl fight, but I may drop this one.

I agree... I don't know, maybe it's the animation the most at fault together with the bland soundtrack but the pace too seemed quite off during the major part of the episode.
As others said, it's quite generic.
Jul 4, 2016 2:29 PM

Jun 2015
This was kinda boring, but the fight scenes looked mostly nice.
Jul 4, 2016 2:41 PM
Feb 2015
What a mixed bag ...
Some scenes were really cool, some baffling.
It feels like three completly different persons are working on the project and they can't decide how the product should look and feel like.

... especially in the animation department:
Grimmbae said:
[...] Some of the animation was a bit off, at one point an arm movement and then when the blood spewed from MC's mouth, something about it just seemed /odd/. I'm no expert so I can't say what it was. [...]

@Grimmbae the weird feeling you're discribing is caused by the usage of different (modern - imo worse) animation techniques. Usually traditional animation is used in animes, where you draw each frame completly new (to save money sometimes only the parts that move), but in some shots they used cut-out animation, where you move the single body-parts (i.e. the two parts of the arm at 8:57). It looks weird, because it is to perfect and too smooth. *Edit* Imagine printing them out and moving them individually to create movement. The shape and look (ie. shading, etc.) of the arm will remain the same over the hole movement. */edit*

And the blood lookes extremly odd for the same reason: It is computer generated. It is too transparent, too detailed and too delicate (generally too perfect). It looks really out of place, because it lacks any stylisation.
Jul 4, 2016 2:43 PM

Aug 2013
So...I'm kinda not sure how to feel about this. My first impression of this show is a mix between bad and good. I liked the animation and the music was amazing. The action was on point too but the story had a tad touch of the generic feel to it. The comedy was kinda awkward and something I wasn't expecting but I am curious to see where this series goes.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 4, 2016 2:44 PM

Sep 2015
Good main character who can fight (kind of) and pretty aesthetic powers. Not convinced on the so called 'waifu', that scene with her needlessly beating the shit out of the main character left a bad taste in my mouth personally. Not a big fan.

Though of course, a 'kawaii' scene while eating will make all the guys here forget all that and ship them immediately -_-
Jul 4, 2016 2:47 PM

Jul 2015
Not that bad ! I enjoyed this first episode , will watch the second for sure.

For now 4/5
Jul 4, 2016 2:57 PM

Feb 2015
Promising start, the animation and character designs were great. Story seems quite generic though and I did roll my eyes when the MC ran with toast in his mouth.
Jul 4, 2016 3:06 PM

Jul 2013
I actually liked it. The fights were very good and I like the MC. He is the typical highschooler MC, but he is actually competent at fighting despite having his ass kicked until his tattoo get activated and doesn't looks like he will rely too much in the female protagonist.

The rest of the characters were fine, even if they are typical tropes like the friend with an obvious crush on the MC, the mysterious, badass girl... The tattoos reminded me of the Command Spell from Fate.

Looking forward this.

Btw, the desings of the characters reminded me of the ones of the Toaru Series.
Jul 4, 2016 3:10 PM

May 2011
Worth watching. Seems like it's got a decent story line and action.

There's not a lot of good options this season. So if I'm doing 5-6 shows. This will be one of them.
Jul 4, 2016 3:12 PM

Sep 2014
This was generic, although the fights were pretty good. Best-girl with those massive oppai though :)
Jul 4, 2016 3:15 PM

Apr 2016
Characters are soo badass and the animation is realy good!

Can't wait for the next '^'
Jul 4, 2016 3:29 PM

Jul 2015
Fai said:
What is this? A Show from JC Staff that is actually DECENT, has a good animation and good directing? HOW. WHEN. DID HELL FREEZE OVER?!?!?

The episode starts out with some VERY interesting cinematographic shots. The way the camera moves, the way the characters are animated. It especially shines during the action sequences, which are filled with interesting camera angles and good sense of speed.

Animation quality is between nice and high too and the character designs are nice and VERY nicely shaded.

Story wise this starts as basically bootleg FSN, but without complex and interesting protagonist. A dude gets involved in a supernatural conflict, tattoos on the arms, female heroine starts out being hostile but will obviously come around, etc. Then it evolves into some sort of military/spy/hitech/magic hybrid. Can't get a clear feel so far and there are some nationalistic vibes(or might not be I cant be sure whether they are portraying US as "the enemy" or not). I am certainly interested. Also REALLY like that the MC is not useless and is actually damn good at fighting.

If we were to look at the downsides of the ep, then yet again the CGI is relatively meh(albeit the directing and the way it is used sometimes makes up for it) and there's quite a bit of fanservice physics involved.

4/5 for the first episode.

Lol, if you think this show has good cinematography then you need to watch shit like Garden of Words, Hyouka and kara no kyoukai. The drawings do look good though, very nice distinct art of the same kind we saw in Shokugeki no soma. Good use of the depth of field effect as well.

The animation wasn't very fluid though and just lol at some of the CGI shots of the city with pedestrians.
Jul 4, 2016 3:32 PM

May 2015
I honestly didn't expect from this show, but the first episode was surprisingly decent with that nicely animated fight scenes. That was pretty neat to watch. Hopefully the rest of this show will be just as decent. If not, I at least hope the fights will still be just as neat, lmao.

Jul 4, 2016 3:38 PM

Jul 2014
Pretty well done, they even gave him a backstory that explains why he's good at fighting rather than just assume every Japanese kid is a super badass. That said, it hasn't strayed at all from the standard formula. Hopefully we'll see some originality soon.
Jul 4, 2016 3:42 PM
Oct 2010
Anyone else think the animation (outside of the fights) was a bit choppy? Probably did that to save money for the actual fight scenes but it was distracting at times. The comedy fell flat and it feels like there's going to be a lot of fanservice in the near future. Still I will stick around because the fights were really well done.
Jul 4, 2016 3:55 PM
Feb 2016
One of those series in which an annoying, nagging girl and a thieving, violent one are considered cute.

Meh.
WorvrammuJul 4, 2016 4:07 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Taboo Tattoo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2016

120 by ozrodger46 »»
Yesterday, 1:09 PM

» Does anyone know why this anime has this hate and low ratings

Naveen6662246 - Apr 3

12 by Redetzky »»
Apr 7, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Taboo Tattoo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2016

188 by ryzxgum »»
Mar 3, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Taboo Tattoo Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2016

138 by Komlan_6 »»
Dec 27, 2023 2:35 AM

Poll: » Taboo Tattoo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2016

96 by Komlan_6 »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.