Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (28) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 » ... Last »
Oct 15, 2017 4:56 PM

Mar 2012
Oct 19, 2017 7:30 PM

Aug 2013
5layer said:
Everything is too convenient and characters react unrealistically to their situation for the sake of making this movie work the way that it did. A bit too much suspension of disbelief needed for this one. Also got kind of dull towards the end.

That said, I really liked the part after Taki tripped in the cave. Definitely the highlight of the movie.

Despite the awful writing, I actually still enjoyed it. Not bad.

In a movie where people are swapping bodies from past to future, thats your gripe? Are u serious?

Listen to yourself before you type
Oct 21, 2017 4:56 AM

Sep 2008
Freestyle80 said:
In a movie where people are swapping bodies from past to future, thats your gripe? Are u serious?

Listen to yourself before you type

Having supernatural elements doesn't excuse bad writing.
Oct 23, 2017 6:00 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I finally watched it.
It definitly was an enjoyable watch however ... i hate to say it but, personally, i feel like its pretty damn overrated with all the hype and the praise it got.
But like i said, its not a bad movie tho.

7/10, 6/10 if it wasnt for dat art/animation.
DatRandomDudeOct 23, 2017 6:05 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 25, 2017 9:12 AM
May 2017
I didnt watch this for quite a while, but I caved and watched it.

I thought it was a bit overrated, but I found it a good watch nonetheless.

I give it an 7/10, much better than Byousoku 5 cm!
Might have given it a 8/9 if not for (see last part of post)

Art/Music/Animation was all very nice

Plot was good, but a bit flawed imo.

Personally would have liked a bit more romantic closure. Would another few minutes for them arranging to meet up and learning each others names have killed them?

It felt a bit like they ended it there purely for the poignancy of ending on Kimi no na Wa

@5Layer Completely unrelated, but I think the same can be said for G-Senjou no Maou at times which, looking at your sig/pic you are a fan of.
FinalSquallOct 25, 2017 9:17 AM
Oct 27, 2017 2:58 PM

Sep 2008
FinalSquall said:
@5Layer Completely unrelated, but I think the same can be said for G-Senjou no Maou at times which, looking at your sig/pic you are a fan of.

I think it's fairly obvious that I have a high tolerance for bad writing if there are other merits to a work that outweigh it.
Oct 29, 2017 2:34 PM

Oct 2013
Rewatched it in the cinemas today, such a beautiful movie story/art wise.

Nov 1, 2017 6:28 AM
Mar 2014
I would have liked your name more if they kissed at the end. This is a good movie but I don't think it's a 9/10, however, this movie was probably one of the best anime movies.
Nov 2, 2017 5:58 AM
Jun 2017
Ive watched this movie on Subbed version and now on English dub and what i can say is that i am still liking this movie so much. One of the best anime movies i ever watched...
Nov 5, 2017 6:15 AM
Nov 2017
I enjoyed this film so much i am one of that Guys who like big fights and action but it was really good...and i think that ending was really good
Nov 11, 2017 1:27 PM

May 2014
Wow. I was against it going in due to the insane amount of hype - but it lived up. I watched it on a small United Airlines screen of all things, and it was still outstanding. Need to see Shinkai's other stuff now!
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Nov 13, 2017 9:23 PM

Oct 2015
Wonderful film, with stunning animation, and overall a good story. I'm glad I finally got around to watching it.
Nov 16, 2017 7:52 AM

Mar 2016
It was beautiful, 9/10 from me.

chiyo-german said:
Yukino Yukari-sensei (from Kotonoha no Niwa) teaches Mitsuha's class now.

Wait, what?

WHAT?
kikiabdullNov 16, 2017 8:48 AM
Nov 18, 2017 8:08 AM

Nov 2011
Better than the previous movie (Kotonoha no niwa), here the narration is engaging, but the screenplay at certain times is unclear and creates doubts about the story. The rest is as good as usual, another great work of Master M. Shinkai.
Nov 21, 2017 11:21 AM

Jul 2014
Finally getting around to watching this in 1080p torrent, cba 4k because bandwidth.

- 2deep4me
- shit got lit yo
- musubi
- he actually drank it lmao, dank

decent, not that hyped, but it was pretty. Top 100 more like, but not #2.

7/10.
Nov 25, 2017 7:44 PM

Feb 2013
5/5 What to say... the suspense killed me. Time travel romance. Love it.

LOL every time the guy was feeling her up.
I'm really glad this was more than just a body-swap. That much became clear 40some minutes in.

The happy ending doesn't really make a difference to me. It could have gone either way. Good job dragging that out till the last second.

8-910/10, not sure where I want to put this one yet.
This has had quite some lasting impact. I really hate to give out 10s, and I don't give them out easily, but I think this one might actually deserve it.
BurntJellyNov 26, 2017 1:48 PM
Nov 26, 2017 10:21 PM

Nov 2017
I don't think I've cried as much as this over a movie before

Dec 2, 2017 9:59 AM

Nov 2017
i loved it, it is truly a great story with great visuals and art. really amazing and emotional story
Dec 2, 2017 4:41 PM

Apr 2012
Took a long time to watch it, thought it was (slightly?) overrated and moved on with other animes. Decided to watch it yesterday and god daymn, should have seen it earlier. It was clearly a great experience and even tho I didn't catch everything right after watching it, some explainations made it clear about what I had missed. In the end, I'm between 9.5 and 10. Def not overrated.
Dec 3, 2017 3:22 AM

Nov 2015
While reading the synopsis I was like: okay I don't think this will be a movie for me, i am more into voilence, blood, thriller, etc. But man I'm so glad I watched this movie.

Watched it yesterday in Belgium with dutch subtitles, because of the movie it's fame they decided to show it in belgium cinemas, so it was a great experience and an even greater movie!
Dec 4, 2017 11:13 PM

Dec 2012

And that was the end. Good movie. I told myself I wouldn't be watching this movie since it released in Japan then a year later...here I am. I can see why the movie got the positive reactions it did and how the Mega Shinkai domination continued after that. I had no problem with the movie except for ruining Okudera after that date with that cigarette. I was also shipping her and Taki, but of course the movie would go the obvious route.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 8, 2017 10:36 AM

Apr 2009
What a huge amount of contrived bullcrap this entire plot was. Movie looked good, but Shinkai should stick to movies with no plot like Garden of wallpapers. At least those don't insult my intelligence...

4/10
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Dec 13, 2017 1:13 AM
Dec 2017
It's been awhile since i've watched something and had almost nothing to complain.

Only thing i would have hoped for was to have the end extended with the two characters interacting a bit more after their fateful reunion. I understand why it ended the way it did but it just goes to show that the director really made me care about the characters for me to get invested in their happiness.

10/10
Dec 17, 2017 10:17 AM
Apr 2015
FreshTango said:
Kougeru said:

What you say about it being similar to his last two films kinda makes me a little less hyped. I felt they were his weakest films in terms of "Feeling". I loved them both, they just didn't leave me with any real emotional impact. Seeing overall good remarks about this online, ... But at the same time, I expect like 90% of the people that would've gone to this panel to have been the most hardcore fans that are more than just a little bias lol.

Looking forward to funimation's release and laughing at my own post here in a few months when I see and love the hell out of the film, most likely. Makoto Shinkai has basically been an idol to me since I saw Voices in 2004. I have heavy faith in him.

Trust me. You will not be disappointed.

I was. I didn't feel anything. It's visually good but eh I felt nothing. I was just bored.
Dec 23, 2017 3:51 PM

Oct 2013
What was all that 3 years ago bullshit lol
Dec 29, 2017 5:12 PM

Jan 2011
Finally I found a good opportunity to watch the movie I saw advertisement for all the time while living in Nihon! Well, I would say it is a fantastic movie. Art was top! I think only Kyoani can compete with Shinkai and both surpassed Ghibli a little bit for my taste. Movie itself was filled with stuff all the time, kind of a rollercoaster. Funny in the beginning, mysterious in the middle, some drama occourred, a happy ending and all filled with light love. Nothing to complain about. The movie was designed to be like that and not an action movie or genre movie or something like that. I liked the structure of it and honestly I am impressed that Shinkai merged a gender swap and a time travel setting into one besides the already seen seperation of old/new or traditional/modern, landlife/citylife. I did not expact any of it, thanks avoiding trailers and stuff. Everything was well balanced and I think this aspect is a huge one explaining the good mood from people watching it. And I can understand why also people exist who just expected something else after hearing the positive response. But I think you cant compare this movie with something like Evangelion or some fairy tale movie or whatnot or of course series. Simple love dramas are alot out there, Shinkai mixed it here with some other ingredients and you just have a beautiful but interesting movie as a result. And for just a beautiful but interesting movie this one is I think outstanding and so it deserves something above 0,94. But for a damn high score I think the movie lacks one (and a half) thing: A nearly completly fitting, outstanding soundtrack. The soundtrack is good, no question. But the parts with the voices of the male bands are not really fitting. They are fitting, too, but somehow not. I hope you understand what I mean. ^^ Also among the other music pieces there is no outstanding one, a piece you will notice instantly from what production it is when appearing randomly in your playlist like Trigun for example or K-ON. Could have been better. Whatever, the half point I am not fully fine with the voice of Taki. Its to high I think. But all the characters itself were great, everyone had their role in the great story. And I personally was feeling honored with living in both areas showing in the movie, Tokyo and Hida area. Thats why I enjoyed the movie a little bit more than other people. ^^ I hope I can visit both places again soon..

Well I think I am just happy now that I enjoyed this movie and there are more to come. I still dont watch some other Shinkai movies and some others, the Kyoani one and the one with the fireworks. I will watch them soon, too, I think. I am looking forward to comparing all of them to each other and connect some memories with them like I was able to do with „kimi no na wa“.
Dec 31, 2017 4:31 PM

Feb 2013
I was waiting for a good quality version to be put online and it was worth it. This movie is great! I enjoyed it very much! I have not been watching anime at all much anymore but this makes me want to get back into anime. I only seen like maybe 1 or 2 anime this entire year plus this one. Glad I got to watch it before the new year. This one is gonna take some time to digest. The title of the movie is so fitting it's perfect. This director never disappointed yet so I look forward to whatever he works on next.
Nano1124Dec 31, 2017 4:34 PM
Jan 1, 2018 7:07 AM

Apr 2011
I downloaded this months ago and was planning to watch it on the holidays. And finally, I just finished it. I was completely blown away. Its amazing. The stunning visuals, the characters, the story. Its all darn amazing. Even thought I was already spoiled by the ending, it didn't ruined it for me. That fact that It they met each other again made me really want to watch this from start to finish. It was the perfect movie to start the new year. The first day of 2018. I was planning to watch this on New Year's eve or past midnight, but I had problems. But I was able to watch on this special day. Now I know why people were talking about it last year and it was it was very well received. I was clapping my hands at the ending.

I hope this 2018 will be a great year for me. I just lost my dad last year, so I'm hoping it'll help me move on and be happy this year. Also lots of good anime I liked will be coming this year. Also, planning to watch other movies from Makoto Shinkai and more Ghibli movies as well. If I can buy a original dvd/bd copy of the movie, I will definitely buy it.

Happy New Year everyone!

10/10
MagitoJan 1, 2018 7:21 AM
Jan 4, 2018 6:03 PM

Apr 2016
I watched this both subbed and dubbed, and both I thought were decent, very passable for a dub and not terrible. Animation wise looked amazing, my only gripe is the pacing of the whole thing as it really slowed down in the middle. Story wise besides the pacing was decent

If I had to rate it I would give it a strong 8 to a light 9.
Jan 5, 2018 7:21 AM
Jul 2018
After the emotions died down a bit, I paid attention to the little nagging feeling inside my head, and....well - I'd appreciate it if someone explained the following to me (because otherwise it kind of ruins the ending):

I felt like giving it a 9 (for me, highest rating in anything implies "the best", which I think can only be decided by comparison, which but after analyzing that one thing I'm try to choose between 7 and 8 because of how important it is to the climax.
Jan 7, 2018 10:02 AM

Mar 2013
I'm not crying, you're crying!!
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 11, 2018 4:02 PM

Apr 2016
Finally came to the cinemas over here and man ..
the wait was 100% worth it

pure beauty
Jan 13, 2018 9:25 AM

Dec 2012
For once, I didn't cry even if it was a beautiful movie.
At the beginning it was good, but I already watched several story like this. Then it is the moment where we learn that it's two different time lines. O.O. I didn't expect it at all, really great twist.

Great story with a beautiful relationship between the two MCs. It has been well designed so we don't get lost with all the body switching. In one or two seconds, you already know, who is controlling the bod (boobs trick ^.^).

Musics and animations were perfect. I think I will remember these songs for a long time.
Jan 15, 2018 6:13 PM
May 2017
Wow.

I expected nothing coming into this, but kimi no na wa. caught me right in the feels. First time a movie has made me cry in years. Everything about it was so well done, and I haven't felt for the MC's in so long.

I actually gasped when the MC's saw each other on the train, it was wonderful. It's been a long time since a movie has made me feel as much as this has. I'll be watching this again.
Jan 20, 2018 8:32 PM

Oct 2011
i desperately wanted to love this as it pulled my heart strings about 1 kajillion times, and even drew tears from this jaded dead heart, but makoto-san just f@#ked us viewers too many times - when the film should have drawn to an awesome and tear-jerking ending, it just kept going on, and on, and on - if the director would have tightened the story up some and not kept playing with our emotions, i would have felt very satisfied in giving this a 9 or even 10, but instead, by the time it ended, i just felt used up and abused. i hate to say this, but i give it a 7...
Jan 26, 2018 3:30 PM

Jan 2014
aznhomig said:
Phenomenal movie,..
Yumehara said:
The only thing I have to say is this is the best movie in 2016.
However I prefer the garden of words.

But it is still worth watching!

Phenomenal indeed. It shows that Shinkai has grown, as he proves he can succesfully tackle a full length movie (whereas his previous full length movies: Children Who Chase Lost Voices, and The Place Promised in Our Early days, were somewhat flawed by their length). Totally did not see the body swapping or time travel coming, as his more recent works were all realistic. Amazing actually, how I managed to evade even the most basic spoilers for a year and a half.

However, I still think the shorter Garden of Words was better. The story felt more dimensional, and the art was better, with even more detail. The alternating contrasting line-art was one of many nice touches that Your Name simply did not feature. I also think Your Name was a bit stretched out in the end, as the last 10 minutes just felt like Shinkai was teasing us for the sake of it. I wouldn't have mind, since it meant more art, but it was so unecessarily tense I could only focus on the drama. There was no reason why Taki didn't also write his name on Mitsuha's hand for example. With this length of film, I'd also would have liked a little more development of the relationship between Taki and Mitsuha, as the romantic aspect, while seeming logical, kinda came out of nowhere.

Most of all though I find there to be something intensely sad and futile about the fact that Taki and Mitsuha will most likely never remember any of the interactions they've had, nor realise what they've been through and achieved together.

Final score: 9/10

checkdafool said:
Omg yes. The fourth time they passed each other I was like no way he's not gonna blueball us again is he?!?! Then thankfully he turned around. So glad this didn't end like garden of words and 5 cm per second

Garden of words had a happy ending, and imo more satisfying. Most people missed it though. Check my comment here.
LaionidasJan 26, 2018 3:44 PM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Jan 27, 2018 8:15 AM

Nov 2016
had a good ride overall. that part in the cave with her normally annoying 'do you remember' hit me pretty deep.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Jan 30, 2018 11:19 AM
Jan 2018
Amazing movie really touching!!
Recommend it to everyone actually. :)
Jan 31, 2018 3:27 AM

Jan 2012
Oh thank sweet merciful Christ they actually said something to each other. Still left it more ambiguous than I'd have liked, but I think it can be reasonably assumed they got together. I was gonna be so pissed had they just kept on walking past each other. But uh...yeah, good movie.  The reputation this one built certainly spoke for itself. I don't think I ended up loving it as much as most people, but it was very enjoyable. Emotional in many ways, touching and humorous. I loved the Taki groping Mitsuha every time he entered her body runner. And I wasn't expecting the time difference twist between the two. The early portion of just seeing them acclimate to each other's lives was sweet, the end of seeing them desperately try and evacuate the doomed parts of Itomori was harrowing. The leads obviously stole the show, but what supporting cast there was in both of their lives was used well. I may have wanted a bit more with each of their fathers but eh, a minor complaint if even one at all. As countless before me have no doubt already said it would have been nice to see them as more of a couple, but I'll certainly take what we got. 8 out of 10
Feb 10, 2018 2:06 AM

Mar 2013
FINALLY

I have been waiting for months to see this movie! I missed my chance when it played at a theater nearby, and I refused to download it or watch it online, and then GameFly decided I needed Assassin's Creed Origins first, followed by delaying the delivery of the movie for a week, BUT I FINALLY SAW IT!!

I loved the movie! I'd gush more about it, but I'm so tired and I just want to sleep. Maybe more gushing will happen later.
Feb 12, 2018 4:55 PM

Jan 2018
I run whit no high expectations, and i am glad ,cuz that now is on my top 10 anime movies of all time. It was soo good, i recomend strongly. And that easter egg whit the teacher was prety clever ;)
Feb 12, 2018 4:57 PM

Jan 2018
hawk222 said:
FINALLY

I have been waiting for months to see this movie! I missed my chance when it played at a theater nearby, and I refused to download it or watch it online, and then GameFly decided I needed Assassin's Creed Origins first, followed by delaying the delivery of the movie for a week, BUT I FINALLY SAW IT!!

I loved the movie! I'd gush more about it, but I'm so tired and I just want to sleep. Maybe more gushing will happen later.

Exactly the same here! :D Whit the difrence that i didn't bay it , but definently will at the future !
Feb 12, 2018 6:49 PM
Oct 2017
Really loved every second the movie!!!
This is definitely one of the best novels I have ever seen! (probably the best)
The director really knows how to play with your emotions, the music the art and the story are gorgeous! The movie had a really touching and exciting ending.
I really loved the ending because of my last hope that they would eventually still meet.
Overall this movie earns a real big, fat 11 out of 10.
Feb 12, 2018 6:53 PM
Oct 2017
Sakaitsu said:
For once, I didn't cry even if it was a beautiful movie.
At the beginning it was good, but I already watched several story like this. Then it is the moment where we learn that it's two different time lines. O.O. I didn't expect it at all, really great twist.

Great story with a beautiful relationship between the two MCs. It has been well designed so we don't get lost with all the body switching. In one or two seconds, you already know, who is controlling the bod (boobs trick ^.^).

Musics and animations were perfect. I think I will remember these songs for a long time.

Exactly! I actually immediately added the songs to my spotify.
Feb 13, 2018 1:06 PM
Aug 2016
Am I a monster for not crying? Good movie but not necessarily a masterpiece for me. I did enjoy it though, very well done.

My problem was that I didn't really feel or see the relationship building between the 2 main characters. The way I experienced it, it felt like they had a stronger connection with the friends and family of the other. Because they are spending their days with those people and only have contact with each other through notes (and I wasn't getting any strong feelings out of those).
Feb 17, 2018 10:48 PM

Apr 2010
Was alright. Probably would have liked it more if it was a longer story.
Mar 11, 2018 4:54 AM
Mar 2018
I think it must be very interesting
Mar 11, 2018 1:54 PM

Feb 2018
This kind of ending makes the whole anime suck....i mean come on man just add 2 more min of scene in which they get to know each other but nooooo, makers have to leave the viewers conflicted and unsatisfied so that they can guess and create their own fanfiction. Sorry but i just hate these kind of endings which makes me hate the whole thing.
Mar 14, 2018 12:31 PM

Feb 2018
Tsugumi said:
After the emotions died down a bit, I paid attention to the little nagging feeling inside my head, and....well - I'd appreciate it if someone explained the following to me (because otherwise it kind of ruins the ending):

I felt like giving it a 9 (for me, highest rating in anything implies "the best", which I think can only be decided by comparison, which but after analyzing that one thing I'm try to choose between 7 and 8 because of how important it is to the climax.

Because it is like when you wake up from a dream, first minute everything is very fresh to you, but already 5 minutes later you forget basically the whole thing.
And reading the name would be enough of a trigger, but it would be hard to remember by himself.
Hope that helps :)
Mar 14, 2018 12:55 PM

Mar 2010
why episode 1? isb't this a movie?
well I really liked this anime, but it sure was a one watch show, it is totally borring ones you know the plot. but I dont think it could have been much longer, it could had added more details but it would ruin the pace that was almost perfect.
it totally gave me "The Butterfly effect" vibes, even the same bittersweet taste at the end. though in the "The Butterfly effect" they only pass by each other and here they meet. to me it feelt like the moment i was hoping for only to find out it ends right there.
LF2005Mar 14, 2018 2:34 PM
Pages (28) « First ... « 20 21 [22] 23 24 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

adharshcs - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

» How? ( 1 2 )

phantomgamer098 - Jul 18, 2023

50 by cl3dson »»
Nov 19, 2023 9:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.