Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2016 2:30 PM

Oct 2013
orosan said:
comming from someone who has never watched any of th berserk prev animes nor read the manga, this anime is actually pretty interesting to me, the 3d rubbed the wrong way but the story so far was intriguing enough for me to keep following it, i give it a 7/10

if it was regular 2d maybe it would gotten a 8/10

I highly recommend you watch the old anime coz this was definitely made for people who know what happened before, your gonna be REALLY confused man. It may be old but its amazing and destroys what we have here.

Ignore the movies.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jul 2, 2016 2:32 PM

Mar 2016
Aredros said:
I cant believe I'm saying this. But I would had been better if the saga continued in movies...

Yes, they did cut a lot in the movies (but they do it worse in here)
But at least the movies had decent animation (mostly out of battles) and an amazing art.

I cannot disagree with you more. Studio 4c's style was a disservice to Berserk and the fact that they cut wasn't the issue, it was that the writer in charge had absolutely no clue whatsoever about story structure. What they did change and how they reintegrated it was beyond lazy and pathetic.

Berserk is my #1 manga, and I am dead serious when I say, if those films were my introduction to Berserk, my reaction would be, "This is the most poorly written attempt at drama and action I have ever seen. Screw this series."

This first episode was condensed, but the details and at least pacing were still there for me. Puck and Guts had a decent first meeting, barring not talking about the Brand, but it's all there. 23 more episodes to go for further details. Chapter 2's adaptation was pretty faithful too, I gotta say (which was the majority of the episode).

I'd watch this episode 1000 more times in a row vs ever having to sit through any 4c film even ONCE ever again.
CrimsonCWJul 2, 2016 2:48 PM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jul 2, 2016 2:33 PM

Jul 2014
What a way to cannibalize Berserk.
Jul 2, 2016 2:35 PM

Apr 2014
daAmazinFatB0y said:
orosan said:
comming from someone who has never watched any of th berserk prev animes nor read the manga, this anime is actually pretty interesting to me, the 3d rubbed the wrong way but the story so far was intriguing enough for me to keep following it, i give it a 7/10

if it was regular 2d maybe it would gotten a 8/10

I highly recommend you watch the old anime coz this was definitely made for people who know what happened before, your gonna be REALLY confused man. It may be old but its amazing and destroys what we have here.

Ignore the movies.

Thx bro, ill finish the old one then before continueing the new one.
Jul 2, 2016 2:40 PM

Oct 2013
orosan said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Ignore the movies.

Thx bro, ill finish the old one then before continueing the new one.

Good man

7 characters left
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 2, 2016 2:41 PM
Dec 2012
This is what a modern anime should look like. The animation is a visual masterpiece, it's an innovation. Makes you question what makes Studio Ghibli so great aside from their stories. This will change anime forever. Anime of the year and possibly anime of the decade. I wish the framerate is more than 30FPS though. The score doesn't reflect how great the anime is at all. It would certainly topped any rankings in terms of visual innovation.

The clunky animation and CGI should be blamed on the lack of innovation in Japanese animation, not the anime itself. Anime should be more than 30 FPS by now, now restricted to 12/24 which is why this anime is so disorganised and look like it has so many framedrops.

As for the story, it's always great to start on a blank slate. What an honor for this series to revive the dying Japanese Animation. The closure of Studio Ghibli brought us despair, this anime just might give us a ray of hope that there is Anime can reinvent itself again. Seeing Rewrite after seeing Berserk is like a nightmare. Even Angel Beats, a six years old anime has better visuals.
ryuixyuiJul 2, 2016 3:04 PM
Jul 2, 2016 3:23 PM

Feb 2016
I loved Batman V Superman when most people hated it. So after hearing the criticism against this I expected to at least like it. But, sadly, I'm finding it difficult. For almost every criticism, I get it. The CGI seems to be present in almost every shot. The framing of every shot feels like one's face is being pressed against the TV. Adaptation-wise, I can't understand why they didn't just stick to the manga when the part straight after the Golden-Age arc is a perfect place to start a series. The action scenes suffer from the framing and CGI, and of course there's the censorship which I knew was going to be an issue but somehow there must've been a better way than barely showing any blood. Overall, the tone just isn't quite right, and this is supported by that terribly out-of-place outro.

The saddest thing is there's glimmers of hope: the soundtrack is decent, the voice-acting was alright, the depiction of Guts I thought was okay (though folks have pointed out the whole not eating at night thing; I guess it has been ages since I read the manga), the sounds of the Dragonslayer are awesome, the hand-drawn art is high-quality, and the intro may grow on me. So I guess for me it could have been worse, but damnit, it could have been SOOO much better. I'll keep watching it though and cross my fingers things somehow improve.
Jul 2, 2016 3:31 PM

Mar 2012
this is the first contact I had with berserk and it wasn't a good one
that cg is A MESS
Jul 2, 2016 3:37 PM

Apr 2012
LordPerucho said:

I had no idea he descended from witches...

lmao i haven't seen the original beserk, and wanted to check this remake out
but that looks god awful lol nevermind

Jul 2, 2016 3:41 PM

Apr 2016
Before : * think about the story , the story , not the graphic , the stoy *
After : God why ? :'(
Jul 2, 2016 3:44 PM

May 2010
Berserk 2016 Episode 1: The Good, Bad, & Ugly ベルセルク
Jul 2, 2016 4:02 PM

May 2015
This is some bottom-tier CGI... Probably the worst I've seen so far... Holy fuck, what is with those lines?

As I finished the third movie earlier before watching this, this feels really underwhelming. The CGI doesn't help either.

Jul 2, 2016 4:06 PM
Feb 2015
I wanted to shoot someone when the skeletons froze in place to allow the girl to slowely shamble her way over to Guts
Jul 2, 2016 4:14 PM

Oct 2008
I don't know how to feel about this.
Im happy that there is new a new Berserk show, something we haven't seen yet.
But seriously, what's with the low quality cgi?
Jul 2, 2016 4:17 PM

Mar 2013
I felt claustrophobic watching this.
Jul 2, 2016 4:41 PM

Feb 2016
"You're too damp to be used as firewood" really? That's the best he could come up with
Jul 2, 2016 4:48 PM

Dec 2013
OneNaughtyBear said:
"You're too damp to be used as firewood" really? That's the best he could come up with
What would you suggest in its place?
Jul 2, 2016 5:57 PM
Oct 2014
Literally. It's like they're cutting the manga in pieces, putting it in a sack, shaking it like a chatterbox and throwing it on the screen as an anime.
Jul 2, 2016 6:20 PM

Mar 2014
Why don't they just go for the films :'(
Jul 2, 2016 6:47 PM
Jun 2015
oh my god i can't believe this
it was awful why the CG,they keep teasing us with those awsome 2d segments what a shame but really what a shame
Jul 2, 2016 7:14 PM

Jul 2015
Thought I would share this with you guys

found this video and it fit strangely too
Jul 2, 2016 7:26 PM

Aug 2012
I feel like the only person who care less about berserk and its fans more than the staff behind this adaptation is Kentaro Miura.

It was almost like they were teasing us...every single frame that wasn't cgi....looked great....like really good but then they would switch back to that shitty cgi for the rest of the 80% of the episode.

Literally the biggest complaint about the movies was the CGI and what do they do...make a whole fucking show that's cgi. Berserk fans can't catch a break honestly im done with this series the anime and manga. In my mind the series is over. Im tired of being a berserk fan tbh
Jul 2, 2016 7:30 PM

Aug 2012
GosuGian said:
Loved it! fuck the haters

lmao you haven't even read the manga or seen the previous anime...do you even know what's going on?
Jul 2, 2016 8:09 PM

Aug 2015
I'm really not sure what to think about this anime right now, the animation really does put me off, I can barely stand it, but since it's Berserk I will watch it all and tough it out. Also, is it just me, or does Guts face shape look really... strange? It just seems extremely different from my perspective, it might just be me, I don't know.
Jul 2, 2016 8:25 PM

Oct 2011
Omg awesome. can't wait for more
Jul 2, 2016 10:13 PM
Mar 2016
Some good stuff, some not so good stuff.

I'll keep watching, if only to see the Guts/Azan fight that should be upcoming in the next episode.
Jul 2, 2016 11:16 PM

Aug 2014
How does this go so wrong when they clearly show during the OP that they could pull it off?

At first you think, "Oh, okay, it sort of seems like Valkyria Chronicles. Then, the more attention you pat, it begins to look like fucking Veggietales. The old man who picks Guts up is just... wow. It's just visually unappealing and the drawn segments make it painfully obvious that they're doing that line shading to match how they've done it on the CGI to try and distract from the fact that it looks like fucking Reboot. Not to mention the fact that I've read the manga and I still felt confused for a few moments. The plot is rushed like crazy, and they seem to think that exposition will fix that. "You shouldn't just abandon someone you saved!"

Absolute garbage.
Jul 3, 2016 12:08 AM

Apr 2013
Fuck this anime tbh.
Jul 3, 2016 12:27 AM
Nov 2009
The amount of hate this got is ridiculous. It was a good fuckingn episode. It wasn't the most faithful and surely after three movies everyone is used to the cgi. If you are gonna be one of these manga master race people who can't enjoy the show because it doesn't live up to the manga then read the fucking manga. I've read all the manga, it is and always will be my favourite but I can still enjoy something that is entertaining as this episode was. But I digress it was always gonna happen that this would receive backlash from the weaboo elite
I am me, we are we
Jul 3, 2016 12:39 AM
Jul 2016
daAmazinFatB0y said:

This was rushed to hell. Felt like the way Game Of Thrones is now with all the details cut out and just showing the big parts. Its like a bunch of random scenes put together like wtf!? pacing is shit too.

Watching the first episode off the back of the recent Game of Thrones season makes it seem like a masterfully crafted piece of fantasy fiction.

The only thing GoT has over it is decent CGI.
Jul 3, 2016 12:52 AM

Mar 2014
"If the holocaust happened every four years, like the Olympics, that would be better than this." -Bojack Horseman

Arse said:
Can't believe noone but myself is mentioning the zoom in. Am I the only weird one ? I felt claustrophobic throughout the whole episode. It amazes me how noone else noticed.
I felt the same way, I think it's a way to make it look like things are happening without actually animating anything. I couldn't tell what was going on, just close ups of his sword and rotten skeletons. The action scenes in the 97 anime weren't amazing but they were a hell of a lot better than this.
Jul 3, 2016 1:09 AM

Mar 2014
this show is absolute haram
Jul 3, 2016 2:12 AM
Jan 2016
Wow, that was... disappointing. What the hell is with the directing? The whole reason you use CG animation is so you can have animation instead of the old panning-through-still-frames trick to save their animators' hands, yet despite having some really stiff models they still resort to excessive use of still frames and slow motion? And so many goddamn face shots, even when it's completely unnecessary.

This is not a promising start.

The animation on the rabbit cooking scene was great though. 10/10 for Shokugeki no Gatsu.
MysteriousBananaJul 3, 2016 2:23 AM
Jul 3, 2016 2:14 AM

May 2014
I have no expectations whatsoever from this adaptation, but i will still watch it because Nostalgia.

The original series was good enough and nothing is going to live up to it, especially not this heavy metal themed CG piece of shit.
Jul 3, 2016 2:49 AM

Oct 2015
Best art in that episode.
Really love what they did with Puck in that anime. They put some effort into that character.
Pretty much the untold star of the manga also :D
Jul 3, 2016 3:14 AM

Jul 2014
lancer35 said:
Really love what they did with Puck in that anime. They put some effort into that character.

He is indeed very well drawn in the art...

By the way does the producers use CG to reduce the animation bill ?
Jul 3, 2016 3:26 AM
Jan 2013
Wasn't Miura supposed to be working on this too? If so, how the heck did he approve this?
And for those saying this wasn't so bad, after watching this episode, go watch a bit of a third movie, then a bit of old anime and then read a bit of manga. After all that, watch the new episode again. If you will still think that the new one is good, then I envy you.
At least this may make people talk about Berserk even more and Miura may get to the manga again. Sigh ... one can dream, right?
Jul 3, 2016 3:28 AM
Oct 2007
Frankly speaking not that bad for a start despite that the show is full of CG. You don't need a director if the show is going to adapt panel by panel perfectly from the manga.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2016 3:33 AM

Oct 2013
Khorkalba said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

This was rushed to hell. Felt like the way Game Of Thrones is now with all the details cut out and just showing the big parts. Its like a bunch of random scenes put together like wtf!? pacing is shit too.

Watching the first episode off the back of the recent Game of Thrones season makes it seem like a masterfully crafted piece of fantasy fiction.

The only thing GoT has over it is decent CGI.

Nah got still destroys this lol
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 3, 2016 3:34 AM

Oct 2013
lancer35 said:

I saw that and I was WOAH! If it was like that then this would have been much more enjoyable.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 3, 2016 3:43 AM

Oct 2013
tankoubon-feind said:
GosuGian said:
Loved it! fuck the haters

lmao you haven't even read the manga or seen the previous anime...do you even know what's going on?

He/she has seen it though, the original anime. Its on their list.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 3, 2016 3:46 AM

Oct 2013
http://kotaku.com/the-new-berserk-anime-already-outshines-the-90s-origina-1782990737

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 3, 2016 4:07 AM
Aug 2011
http://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1237/Millepensee

Why did they have to do a berserk adaptation after doing all that stuff?

I hated the OP and ED. Only thing good about the episode was the soundtrack from the movies.

But the first episode of the first series was also like this (it was a lot better though) so I am not letting go yet.
Jul 3, 2016 4:56 AM

Oct 2013
Adramelech said:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1237/Millepensee

Why did they have to do a berserk adaptation after doing all that stuff?

I hated the OP and ED. Only thing good about the episode was the soundtrack from the movies.

But the first episode of the first series was also like this (it was a lot better though) so I am not letting go yet.

Same goes for DB Super, why do these big anime projects get the crappy staff and studio? Its idiotic.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 3, 2016 4:58 AM

Oct 2013
Miro3no said:
Wasn't Miura supposed to be working on this too? If so, how the heck did he approve this?
And for those saying this wasn't so bad, after watching this episode, go watch a bit of a third movie, then a bit of old anime and then read a bit of manga. After all that, watch the new episode again. If you will still think that the new one is good, then I envy you.
At least this may make people talk about Berserk even more and Miura may get to the manga again. Sigh ... one can dream, right?

Miura is sick though and new chapter was released just a few days ago and it was recently announced that it will be published monthly from now on so its not an irregular series anymore.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 3, 2016 5:13 AM

Sep 2010
all I wanted was a good adaption. kill me

Hopefully the future episodes get better pacing.
Jul 3, 2016 5:27 AM
May 2009
I might actually be the only one, but I honestly felt the style and CG felt at home with the theme for this old school anime. The music and voice actors do a good job as well!

I'm gonna enjoy this as its own entity and not compare it to its original anime or source material!
Jul 3, 2016 5:55 AM
Nov 2009
Jmoller you are a gentlemen and a scholar and al that is good in the world, God forbid someone actually just enjoys something for what it is instead of needing to be hip and cool and bash it because it didn't give them a blow job after watching it. Na but in all seriousness you people act like this is a big production but it isn't, berserk isn't that popular over here and never has been so it's not gonna get the star treatment westerners may feel it deserves. Shows like berserk, cowboy bebop, trigun and ghost in the shell have always been more popular overseas
I am me, we are we
Jul 3, 2016 5:56 AM

Oct 2015
jmoller said:

I'm gonna enjoy this as its own entity and not compare it to its original anime or source material!

Same here.
Gonna enjoy this as its own original take on the events post-golden age.
Jul 3, 2016 6:24 AM
Oct 2014
As a die hard fan of the series im pleased to see Berserk as it is from not seeing it at all.

But what i didnt like its the fact that ONCE AGAIN they are not going exactly like manga , jumping alot of scenes that bring emotion to the watcher which leads to connection with characters . If you read the very first episode of the manga youll see how many scenes that bring excitement , emotion , drama etc .. left out !

Then what is happening to Anime has ALOT of differences with manga ! From dialoques to action to what is happening ...

For whaaat and whyyyy ?

All i wanted was ... a new anime that will go exactly as the manga.
The " too much gore " excuse wont work in 2016 when we have extra gory shows like Hellsing Ultimate already. I mean , Berserk is all about gore , blood , drama etc. If they are jumping all those scenes or alter them big time when those things are what defying what BERSERK is all about in the first place ... what is left to see ?

I dont get why the hell they are not true to manga series ... Its such a waste. It seems like they rushing things up for a reason . Its excited and dissapointed at teh same time.

VOTE = Its was ok ! So sad about it but its the truth
AzatisJul 3, 2016 6:40 AM
Pages (20) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

181 by Xxbrunoguerra »»
Mar 12, 6:58 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

285 by Ere14 »»
Nov 11, 2023 4:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.