Forum Settings
Forums

what do you wish would change about anime in general?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2016 7:41 AM

May 2016
FlatEight said:
HyperL said:
Nope, I disagree with the "I want characters to act like real people" notion...For starters, real people are boring AF!!!!!!!! Them there's the fact that many people got into anime because the characters are capable of being unrealistically quirky without casting aside all signs of human traits, providing a funny charm to them that people love so much...Of course you can have "real like" characters in " real like" series, but that's it...

If by unrealistically quirky you mean categorizable, cookie-cutter personalities then yes I'd like to see less of that. With anime characters, most of the time, what you see is what you get.

Well, if what you want is more layers to them I can respect, But don't remove the quirkyness out of them too and turn them into boring real life people...Characters can still have different layers of personality while still keeping their tropes...Like Okabe from Steins;Gate, his trope is that of a chuunybiou, but he have much more to him than his trope and that makes him much more likable...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 1, 2016 7:42 AM

Jun 2016
I wish people still used cel animation. It had so much style.

behind these hills
i'm reaching for the heights

Jul 1, 2016 7:46 AM

Jun 2015
.....this is more like "what should be removed in anime based on your opinion"

the thing you hate could be something that others like, anime is diverse, and so are the fans .anyway, people have different tastes and the ways they enjoy anime.

For me, i'm fine with anime now, but of course i want to see improvements in things that already exist, and new things that are innovative, not deleting or completely removing a part of anime
Jul 1, 2016 8:03 AM

Oct 2015
no more cgi and engrish voice acting pls
Jul 1, 2016 8:07 AM

Nov 2015
vriskabell said:

I'm pretty sure Snk had cel animation
I might be wrong though..
Jul 1, 2016 8:30 AM

Jul 2014
I wish there would be less "repetitive humor" shows.

As in, shows where every single joke is the same thing, either because of the genre (in harem for example, lol the guy saw the girl naked and she beat him up and that's every single joke) or because the characters are so one-dimensional that they keep recycling the same jokes about them over and over again.

Out of all the different types of anime I've watched, not once have I ever liked any of the above.
Jul 1, 2016 8:32 AM
Aug 2015
Less "genki" characters, less moe, less stupid.
Jul 1, 2016 8:33 AM

Jun 2016
The fans. If the fans change, anime will also change to suite their wants.

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Jul 1, 2016 8:35 AM
Aug 2015
Gesu- said:
vriskabell said:

Cel animation is animation drawn in paper; transparent sheets to be exact. Nobody's done that since the mid 90s if I'm not mistaken.
Jul 1, 2016 8:35 AM
Aug 2015
Protaku said:
Increase the amount of ecchi anime and generic light novel adaptations released to add salt to everyone's salty wounds.

"nods head"

agree

also get rid of the following genres yaoi, reverse harems, shoujo and josei
Jul 1, 2016 8:37 AM

Nov 2015
On_the_Lam said:
Gesu- said:

Cel animation is animation drawn in paper; transparent sheets to be exact. Nobody's done that since the mid 90s if I'm not mistaken.

Can't that be recreated digitally?
Isn't that how some videogames have cel shaded visuals?
Jul 1, 2016 8:40 AM

Feb 2015
EmperorQ said:
Kaneki-Uta said:
I would erase the ecchi genre completely, and just improve overall anime quality... also make all animes follow the fucking manga (if they are made from one that it)
Well there needs to be filler in long running shonens unless they have perfect pacing to never pass the manga, but for things like akame ga kill i agree, but still the original FMA anime was still great in it own way even with a filler ending.

i dont care about big shounen animes... im talking about all anime in general... first to mind

Tokyo ghoul
akame ga kill
dimension w
blue exorcist
gangsta
deadman wonderland
arslan senki
Jul 1, 2016 8:40 AM

Oct 2015
D-ohnuts said:
I wish there would be less "repetitive humor" shows.

As in, shows where every single joke is the same thing, either because of the genre (in harem for example, lol the guy saw the girl naked and she beat him up and that's every single joke) or because the characters are so one-dimensional that they keep recycling the same jokes about them over and over again.

Out of all the different types of anime I've watched, not once have I ever liked any of the above.

I would agree with this, but then yuru yuri would be gone, and without yuru yuri's artstyle I would die
Jul 1, 2016 8:41 AM

Feb 2015
HyperL said:
Kaneki-Uta said:
I would erase the ecchi genre completely, and just improve overall anime quality... also make all animes follow the fucking manga (if they are made from one that it)

*GASP*...I, as a proud member of the Ecchi Illuminati, must eliminate you IMMEDIATELY!!!

you cant kill what was made in the depth of hell my friend... i cant be eliminated
Jul 1, 2016 9:08 AM
Jun 2016
The art style, with older animes there was a clear distinction between art styles but now it seems like a copy and paste moe female character or a tall muscular slanted eye anime man character. Don't get me wrong there are animes today that do have distinct art styles but it's getting to a point I can't tell the difference between one anime and the other.

Also, less animes that are involved in high school lol
Jul 1, 2016 9:10 AM

Dec 2015
Improve the animation of the fighting scenes. Seriously who would enjoy swordfight seing only flashing blue/red slash?
Jul 1, 2016 9:35 AM
Aug 2015
Gesu- said:
On_the_Lam said:

Can't that be recreated digitally?
Isn't that how some videogames have cel shaded visuals?

As far as I know, they're two whole different things.
Jul 1, 2016 9:40 AM
Aug 2015
kamisama751 said:
On_the_Lam said:

I have heard something about Ponyo being the last cel animatated show (not really sure) and it is from 2008.

It's a film, not a series, but yes, Ponyo was traditionally hand-drawn. Forgot about that.
Jul 1, 2016 10:02 AM

Jun 2015
I would definetely change the quality of the material that is being adapted. Instead of animating SAO and the rest shitty novels which have an emotionless midget and its harem as a cast(e.g. Dungeon) they could animate some seinen manga(e.g. Vinland Saga, 20th Century Boys, Holyland) that have no anime despite their greatness. As for the profit of those hypothetical anime, I believe they would become really successful if done right
Jul 1, 2016 10:22 AM

Jun 2015
Schlocky adaptations just for the sake of advertisement need to die already. It is by far the most aggrivating thing to ever encounter as an anime fan.
Jul 1, 2016 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
more sexy psychopaths who aren't 'safe', that push a lot of moral boundaries and actually end up the victor once or twice, with detailed and gruesome backstories to match (now, I not might be watching the right series, but I haven't seen this a lot). seemingly crazy characters who have backstories with little to no proper explanation and don't do anything shocking can become predictably boring very, very fast, and often unfortunately overstay their welcome in shows. where are all the truly evil people with no regard for human life? where are the people who aren't safe? where are the people who'll gross out the viewers? is this a 'think of the children' thing? cause western crime shows do this all the time, is it a japanese social standard not to talk about mental health and how mental upsetedness & trauma can lead to deviancy and other behavior? seems to be. most people who're ill in that vein would realistically have some kind of event that led them to extremes mentally, i.e. a traumatic event or a toxic environment. making them crazy just for the sake of making them crazy in attempt not to cause viewer discomfort is a wussy move imo

less cliched yandere stereotype girls, if you're going to include a crazy woman, at least provide the audience with some kind of reason for behavior, and don't make her overbearingly annoying to the point where it makes people want to shoot themselves. this applies to any stereotype character. if you are going to include a character who relies mainly on archetype or stereotype as an appeal, make them virtually interesting unless they're intended to be hated.

less ecchi harems that focus on nothing but T&A, if you are going to make one, at least have an underlying story that doesn't have a dumb and contrived plot. monogatari is the only show with both 'ecchi' and 'harem' elements to do characterization and story exceptionally well.

less shows with 12 episodes and more shows with 24, not talking about split-cour, but full fledged shows that premiere over the span of two cours. what the hell happened to shows spanning that long, why have they all been condensed down into nothing? i'm not asking for a thirty to fifty episode festival of longness or anything, just goddamn more than 12 episodes. otherwise plot, characterization, and story, can end up rushed as fuck if not executed well.

better adaptation of source material, such as novels or manga, this partially ties in with the above. if you can't fit three plus volumes of a LN or manga into twelve episodes of anime without cutting immense corners, don't fucking do it, and expand it to at least 16 to give the viewers some goddamn leeway. not everyone has the attention span of babies and some people would actually like to see a well executed plot that takes a little time to explain itself. having your series limp along like a wounded gazelle towards the end after it's been blazing towards the edge of a cliff is pretty anticlimactic.
removed-userJul 1, 2016 11:58 AM
Jul 1, 2016 11:55 AM

Jul 2015
just more heartbreaking stories ..
Jul 1, 2016 12:00 PM

Jan 2009
Get rid of shitty CGI, so it wouldn't ruin the things I love

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jul 1, 2016 12:18 PM

Oct 2015
I wish that next to "seasons" as in 12/13 episodes, there would also be a "trimester"-like standard of 16 episodes.

3x16 plus 3x1 special/bonus episode could also fill a year.

And there are quite some anime that I think with just 4 episodes more could have been much better.

------------------
edit - oh, has already been wished for, just 3 posts up. :D
if you can't fit three plus volumes of a LN or manga into twelve episodes of anime without cutting immense corners, don't fucking do it, and expand it to at least 16 to give the viewers some goddamn leeway.
BannoBunka_snorkJul 1, 2016 12:23 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jul 1, 2016 2:57 PM

Mar 2014
Reduced reliance on blu rays and merchandise to make money, more crowd funded or original projects (I'm super excited for Under the Dog), and probably an anime equivalent to steam that sells a huge number of anime and would serve as a platform for crowd funding and such. It could also compile articles from anime news websites and hopefully give some of the less popular seasonal shows some attention. Basically, inject more money into the industry, and make it more accessible for people all over the world.

Getting rid of ecchi and bad LN adaptations makes no sense. You can't do that without changing the people who like those shows and spend money on it. They're prevalent because they're easy and people like them and buy body pillows and shit. You need to target the cause, but I'd much rather give artists with new ideas a chance than get rid of something I don't watch anyway.
Jul 1, 2016 3:30 PM
Jun 2016
I would make in sort that almost every season of an anime can be somehow conclusive(not let an open panel of option like in so much 12 episode) and give all the series the chance to have all the season he want/deserve.
Kwowing the truth is hard but it's even harder to act accordingly and carry on the consequences of it.Like everything meaningful in life / Connaitre la verité est difficile mais le plus dure est d'agir conformément à celle-ci et d'en porter les conséquences.Comme tout ce qui à un sens dans la vie.
Jul 1, 2016 4:27 PM

Jun 2016
The inordinate amount of fanservice.

"Out of the night that conquers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul."

Jul 1, 2016 4:29 PM

Jan 2015
I respect anime as an art form, with all its geners wheather I like them or not, however if I could change smth it would be the fandom.
Jul 1, 2016 4:37 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
the only thing that needs to be removed or reduced are the watchers that think that there are things that need to be removed or reduced

i fear for the future if the Japanese ever decide to give a fuck about us when creating anime. please japan, start having more children -___-
Jul 1, 2016 4:54 PM

Mar 2014
Mamster-P said:
the only thing that needs to be removed or reduced are the watchers that think that there are things that need to be removed or reduced

i fear for the future if the Japanese ever decide to give a fuck about us when creating anime. please japan, start having more children -___-
wait, so are you saying that everything Japan does is perfect and they have nothing to gain by listening to the rest of the world? Not that these suggestions would be anything beneficial, but considering how poorly Japan's economy is doing, telling them keep doing what they're doing what and ignore the rest of the world doesn't seem like the greatest advice.
Jul 1, 2016 4:59 PM

Feb 2015
Zeus- said:
Kaneki-Uta said:

you cant kill what was made in the depth of hell my friend... i cant be eliminated
you can only say that if you're a badass like this guy

But... I'm a girl... so.... it doesn't really count... I still can't die because satan is immortal
Jul 1, 2016 5:04 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
merryfistmas said:
Mamster-P said:

wait, so are you saying that everything Japan does is perfect and they have nothing to gain by listening to the rest of the world? Not that these suggestions would be anything beneficial, but considering how poorly Japan's economy is doing, telling them keep doing what they're doing what and ignore the rest of the world doesn't seem like the greatest advice.

were only talking about anime here, and i highly doubt the economic crash has anything to do with anime, especially considering more and more people are getting into it everyday

asking the japanese to change anime to cater towards you is like a non spanish person complaining about a show on the spanish channel not catering towards them. just because you watch something thats not from your country or doens't share you values doesn't mean they owe you anything

im sure japans economy will be just fine when its just fine in the rest of the world

anime is japanese and should remain that way.... all SWJ's, butthurts and whiners can GTFO
Jul 1, 2016 5:51 PM

Mar 2014
@Mamster-P of course it doesn't but Anime is Japanese and effected by the Japanese economy. It's still off topic but I bring it up because ALL of your comments are in the same vein "anime is perfect, nothing needs to change and if you disagree with me then you need to stfu." You complain far more than anybody else on these forums, going on about how the fans need to change for anime, not the other way around yet you somehow believe that the rest of the world needs to change to think like you. The argument about different cultures is just as bad. If you aren't allowed to have a negative opinion of something because it was produced in another country than you aren't allowed a positive opinion either. In fact, you aren't allowed to have an opinion on anything because every work of art was created by people with different backgrounds, experiences, and ideals from you and so the same logic applies. I'm also confused as to why you tell people to change for anime and then say you don't want anime to change. If anime changes won't you just "change for anime" like you constantly suggest? If you honestly felt this way than you wouldn't complain about people complaining because if the SJWs or ecchi haters or whoever else somehow effected the industry, you would just change your taste to like whatever ended up being produced.

But yes, you're right, this thread is stupid and full of people who want ecchi to go away, but that does not mean there are no positive changes that could be made in the industry (including changes that would make you like anime more).
Jul 1, 2016 5:55 PM

Sep 2015
Generic light novels and school life. I mean, I love a good slice of life school anime but seriously, soooo many damn shows is based in a school. And the light novels all seem the same which is annoying.
Jul 1, 2016 6:09 PM

Sep 2015
Why people care so much about ecchi ? Imo, less friend ship power and protecting things would be very good improvement for the Anime
Jul 1, 2016 6:21 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
merryfistmas said:
@Mamster-P of course it doesn't but Anime is Japanese and effected by the Japanese economy. It's still off topic but I bring it up because ALL of your comments are in the same vein "anime is perfect, nothing needs to change and if you disagree with me then you need to stfu." You complain far more than anybody else on these forums, going on about how the fans need to change for anime, not the other way around yet you somehow believe that the rest of the world needs to change to think like you. The argument about different cultures is just as bad. If you aren't allowed to have a negative opinion of something because it was produced in another country than you aren't allowed a positive opinion either. In fact, you aren't allowed to have an opinion on anything because every work of art was created by people with different backgrounds, experiences, and ideals from you and so the same logic applies. I'm also confused as to why you tell people to change for anime and then say you don't want anime to change. If anime changes won't you just "change for anime" like you constantly suggest? If you honestly felt this way than you wouldn't complain about people complaining because if the SJWs or ecchi haters or whoever else somehow effected the industry, you would just change your taste to like whatever ended up being produced.

But yes, you're right, this thread is stupid and full of people who want ecchi to go away, but that does not mean there are no positive changes that could be made in the industry (including changes that would make you like anime more).

bruh, calm down..... its all MY OPINION, no one is ever obligated to agree with anything i say, nor have i ever "expected" anyone to. but one persons right to whine about anime is another persons right to whine about them whining about anime, which is all im doing. you can't say things like "we have the right to be critical" then complain when others openly reject your criticism.

to me, im not going to get into a medium that wasn't made with my values in mind and expect it to change just because i am now watching. i personally think that is silly, im sorry, but i just do. imo, japan should do w/etf they want and we should deal with it

anyway... again.... YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE, everything i say is just my opinion like everyone else. im not calling anyone stupid, or trying to be anything insulting, im just whining about people whining
Jul 1, 2016 6:42 PM

Jul 2014
Another thing I'd like to get rid of is punchline explanation. I hate it when they ruin a joke by explaining it as if the audience is too dumb to get it, and that's done all the time in anime nowadays.
Jul 1, 2016 6:59 PM

Mar 2014
@Mamster-P yeah, I guess I went a little overboard there, sorry about that. I didn't say you can't reject my complains. Your rejection of certain criticisms is fine, but your rejecting any criticism across the board is quite bizarre to me. This is all off topic anyway.

OT: do you think that there is something anime (or the industry) could change that would have a positive impact? Forget all the ecchi complaints and OP baiting people, this could be anything from marketing to the shows themselves.
Jul 1, 2016 7:06 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
merryfistmas said:
@Mamster-P yeah, I guess I went a little overboard there, sorry about that. I didn't say you can't reject my complains. Your rejection of certain criticisms is fine, but your rejecting any criticism across the board is quite bizarre to me. This is all off topic anyway.

OT: do you think that there is something anime (or the industry) could change that would have a positive impact? Forget all the ecchi complaints and OP baiting people, this could be anything from marketing to the shows themselves.

im not "rejecting criticism", anyone is free to like or not like w/e they want

its just that i kind of find it disrespectful to act as if its bad that something isn't created with you in mind. its just extremely annoying when you love something yet the majority of people who want to talk about it are always complaining.

its kind of like getting with someone else and then telling them they need to stop one of their hobbies because it bothers you... to me.... THATS FUCKED UP. i mean if you knew before you got with them, why'd you get with them? and if you didn't previously know, and you hate it that much, why are you still with the person?

ppl know anime is going to have things like ecchi moments, yet they still watch. and if they didn't know and they hate it as much as they like to claim, they can always stop watching. its same thing to me
Jul 1, 2016 7:16 PM

Jul 2012
Heard some people saying get rid of CGI, when a better response would be a higher budget for CGI.
But really rotoscopping is the only terrible style that should be buried. I mean aku no hana should have been a fair warning that it's just a bad idea.
Jul 1, 2016 7:18 PM

Jun 2015
I just wished more shows got longer runs. 12 episodes just seems way too short and causes a lot of pacing and plot issues. Now that I've been regularly watching significant amounts of anime for about a year now, I think waiting for sequels is probably the most annoying thing.

And the thing that bugs me is that a lot of the shows that I really enjoy only get 12-13 episode runs, yet a bunch shows from bigger studios that aren't as good are getting sequels and 24+ episode runs.
Jul 1, 2016 8:16 PM
Jul 2018
Anime that goes into several seasons like Gintama, Ranma 1/2, etc. tend to get lazier in their overall character designs and animation as the seasons progress. Now, I'm able to look past all of that, but still wish the overall art would remain consistent throughout each arc of every season throughout the anime. I think it would also make these series 10x more popular, and would ultimately sell more.
Jul 1, 2016 8:23 PM

May 2014
Everything in my sig needs to go away, along with LN adaptations and almost all VN adaptations.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jul 1, 2016 9:24 PM

Oct 2015
That almost all protagonist these days are teens or really young adults, I'd like some people in there 20's or even 30's as the protagonist.
Jul 1, 2016 10:08 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Less talking when fighting, no need to explain their own abilities to the opponent unless doing that actually makes them more advantageous

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jul 2, 2016 4:48 AM

Oct 2014
Mamster-P said:
merryfistmas said:

its just that i kind of find it disrespectful to act as if its bad that something isn't created with you in mind. its just extremely annoying when you love something yet the majority of people who want to talk about it are always complaining.

its kind of like getting with someone else and then telling them they need to stop one of their hobbies because it bothers you... to me.... THATS FUCKED UP. i mean if you knew before you got with them, why'd you get with them? and if you didn't previously know, and you hate it that much, why are you still with the person?

ppl know anime is going to have things like ecchi moments, yet they still watch. and if they didn't know and they hate it as much as they like to claim, they can always stop watching. its same thing to me

Well The economic crash did affect anime though.
See before the crash, the japanese government did give subsidises to Japanese tv channels and because of that, these channels could fund anime while they are being made.
And because the subsides stopped, so did the funding and it also caused to changed the air times.

I see ppl like @Mac97 want more 25 ep cours.
Making more 25 ep series requires more time slots on the broadcasting channels and there aren't because air time for anime has been limited in the last years. So the only way to make that happen is to just release fewer anime each year.
Jul 2, 2016 5:57 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Bourmegar said:
Mamster-P said:

See before the crash, the japanese government did give subsidises to Japanese tv channels and because of that, these channels could fund anime while they are being made.
And because the subsides stopped, so did the funding and it also caused to changed the air times.

Making more 25 ep series requires more time slots on the broadcasting channels and there aren't because air time for anime has been limited in the last years. So the only way to make that happen is to just release fewer anime each year.

bruh, a crashed economy is gonna affect pretty much ANYTHING, thats pretty obvious lol.... what i mean is anime wasn't the "the cause" of the crash. when i say "they should not give a shit about us" i just mean in what kind of anime they make
Jul 2, 2016 6:55 AM

Feb 2016
I'd appreciate more anime with individual features or simply put - more death notes and less higschooldxd <-- or similar crap.
Jul 2, 2016 9:52 AM

Oct 2014
Mamster-P said:
Bourmegar said:

bruh, a crashed economy is gonna affect pretty much ANYTHING, thats pretty obvious lol.... what i mean is anime wasn't the "the cause" of the crash. when i say "they should not give a shit about us" i just mean in what kind of anime they make

Yh allot more Anime should be like that like "Prison school" who just goes to the Extremes or shows who make a leap of faith. Studios like Trigger kinda give me that feel.

Besides we all know who caused the Crash (cough) American Banks (Cough)

In the end, the only thing I wish Would Change Anime is Making it more Available.
That would help out allot instead of just Removing Genres.

If ppl would Remove genres then they will kill the Creativity and do Anime as a whole allot of harm.
Jul 2, 2016 10:02 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Bourmegar said:

Yh allot more Anime should be like that like "Prison school" who just goes to the Extremes or shows who make a leap of faith. Studios like Trigger kinda give me that feel.

Besides we all know who caused the Crash (cough) American Banks (Cough)

In the end, the only thing I wish Would Change Anime is Making it more Available.
That would help out allot instead of just Removing Genres.

If ppl would Remove genres then they will kill the Creativity and do Anime as a whole allot of harm.

I swear, western anime fans are out to kill creativity... "this should only be done in this situation", as if that's not one of the most boring and limiting mindsets you can have as a writer
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

57 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

80 by Ryuseishun »»
20 minutes ago

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 6 hours ago

10 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
21 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

66 by J4T »»
22 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

227 by zoeanime13 »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.