Forum Settings
Forums

what do you wish would change about anime in general?

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 2, 2016 10:10 AM

Jul 2016
TheFilthyCasual said:
Everything in my sig needs to go away, along with LN adaptations and almost all VN adaptations.

Great sig, couldn't agree more.

Loli, moe, ecchi and harems need to go ASAP.

Also the Highschool settings is overused, same with teenagers as MC's. We need more variety instead of the same old cookie cutter bs.
Jul 2, 2016 10:19 AM

Dec 2015
I'd like less Generic Anime(Harem, R.Harem, Ecchi etc)to be created.
Jul 2, 2016 10:27 AM

Jul 2016
Mamster-P said:
merryfistmas said:
wait, so are you saying that everything Japan does is perfect and they have nothing to gain by listening to the rest of the world? Not that these suggestions would be anything beneficial, but considering how poorly Japan's economy is doing, telling them keep doing what they're doing what and ignore the rest of the world doesn't seem like the greatest advice.

were only talking about anime here, and i highly doubt the economic crash has anything to do with anime, especially considering more and more people are getting into it everyday

asking the japanese to change anime to cater towards you is like a non spanish person complaining about a show on the spanish channel not catering towards them. just because you watch something thats not from your country or doens't share you values doesn't mean they owe you anything

im sure japans economy will be just fine when its just fine in the rest of the world

anime is japanese and should remain that way.... all SWJ's, butthurts and whiners can GTFO

Whats your problem? OP specifically asks what WE would change about anime and people give their answers but then you get salty for no reason at all.

Deal with people having different opinions.

The problem isn't Anime being japanese (as if all japanese would like ecchi/loli's etc. wtf), the problem is that it panders far too often to horny neckbeards with the same old generic harems & all that other shit.

AssumingControlJul 2, 2016 10:31 AM
Jul 2, 2016 2:52 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Omni_slash95 said:
Mamster-P said:

were only talking about anime here, and i highly doubt the economic crash has anything to do with anime, especially considering more and more people are getting into it everyday

asking the japanese to change anime to cater towards you is like a non spanish person complaining about a show on the spanish channel not catering towards them. just because you watch something thats not from your country or doens't share you values doesn't mean they owe you anything

im sure japans economy will be just fine when its just fine in the rest of the world

anime is japanese and should remain that way.... all SWJ's, butthurts and whiners can GTFO

Whats your problem? OP specifically asks what WE would change about anime and people give their answers but then you get salty for no reason at all.

The problem isn't Anime being japanese (as if all japanese would like ecchi/loli's etc. wtf), the problem is that it panders far too often to horny neckbeards with the same old generic harems & all that other shit.

peoples right to bitch about anime means my right to bitch about people bitches..... wow.... thats some bait right there.... too bad im not a neckbeard yet i still love generic harems
Jul 2, 2016 3:19 PM

Aug 2009
YellowCorvette said:
- Less wish-fullfilment LNs and more LN that are actually has good story and good characters.
- More realistic fight scenes and no more "Pointless monologue and flashback in the middle of the fight" crap.
- More 3-dimensional characters and less archetype like Tsunderes, Transfer student, etc.
- Don't rush a good story.
- Show, don't tell.

Basically this. I am in no way against the stereotypical things we see in our current anime which is probably what prompted this thread in the first place. But it would be nice if we could get a little more anime without some of the overused tropes. However, I guess that is hugely dependent on the manga they are adapted from.

So I guess we need the manga writers to "knock it off" from time to time and write new stories without the silly tropes we are all complaining about. Again, still give us the "normal" stuff, but also give us more stories with out the overused stuff. I think that is fair to at least try.

Jul 2, 2016 4:02 PM

Jul 2016
Mamster-P said:
Omni_slash95 said:

peoples right to bitch about anime means my right to bitch about people bitches..... wow.... thats some bait right there.... too bad im not a neckbeard yet i still love generic harems

Says isn't a neckbeard and then rates generic low effort Harem anime always with a 10 and has no other favourites than them.

Seems to me like the only reason you like Anime is for the ecchi. Why not just watch hentai I wonder? But hey to each their own...

You can bitch about people hating on them all you want, its not going to change our opinions
AssumingControlJul 2, 2016 4:27 PM
Jul 2, 2016 4:08 PM

May 2015
more sequels of shows that need sequels and less sequels of Teekyuu please and thank you
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Jul 2, 2016 4:16 PM
Mar 2016
FlatEight said:
For starters, I want characters to act like real people.

Then just watch Nekojiru-kou. Really recommend. Has a lot to do with human actions except the humans are replaced with cats. Message is beautiful, and more animes should follow this..
Jul 2, 2016 4:20 PM
Dec 2013
I'd ban CGI usage for all future anime.
Jul 2, 2016 4:33 PM

Jan 2014
Just highschool settings. Just no more highschool/middle school settings, it's just too much. Some older characters... like mid 20s or 30s. Hell I wouldn't even care if they were 40s or 50s tbh.
Jul 2, 2016 5:02 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Omni_slash95 said:

Says isn't a neckbeard and then rates generic low effort Harem anime always with a 10 and has no other favourites than them.

Seems to me like the only reason you like Anime is for the ecchi. Why not just watch hentai I wonder? But hey to each their own...

You can bitch about people hating on them all you want, its not going to change our opinions

1. wtf does my favorites have to do with being a neckbeard?

thats like saying someone must be overweight just because their favorite food is ice cream, as if other kinds of people can't like it

2. funny, considering my list of anime with little to no ecchi is bigger than your entire list

3. fuck hentai anime

4. why am i taking this bait?
Jul 2, 2016 5:20 PM
Feb 2014
Nothing. Just the toxic fanbase who thinks their shitty opinions are justified. I'm at Anime Expo right now, and holy shit this is sure upsetting to view while there.

@Mamster-P keep on slaying 'em!
Jul 2, 2016 5:23 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Nico- said:
Nothing. Just the toxic fanbase who thinks their shitty opinions are justified. I'm at Anime Expo right now, and holy shit this is sure upsetting to view while there.

@Mamster-P keep on slaying 'em!

i will keep trying my best

lol ive been to like 30 anime cons.... yea..... i know... plus i have another coming up near the end of this month
Jul 2, 2016 5:27 PM

Jul 2016
Mamster-P said:
Omni_slash95 said:

1. wtf does my favorites have to do with being a neckbeard?

thats like saying someone must be overweight just because their favorite food is ice cream, as if other kinds of people can't like it

2. funny, considering my list of anime with little to no ecchi is bigger than your entire list

3. fuck hentai anime

4. why am i taking this bait?

Of course not everyone who watches some ecchi anime is a neckbeard but watching sooo many of them + giving them a 10 (basically saying they are masterpieces) is simply ridiculous and certainly an indicator to me. Same with all those posters in your room...

Most of the anime in your list certainly seem to be ecchi/harem/loli/moe crap to me.

So then you have a bigger list but so what? I don't watch any ecchi & moe etc. anime so obviously my list is going smaller. This isn't a contest here anyway.
AssumingControlJul 2, 2016 5:40 PM
Jul 2, 2016 5:41 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Omni_slash95 said:

Of course not everyone who watches some ecchi anime is a neckbeard but watching sooo many of them + giving them a 10 (basically saying they are masterpieces) is simply ridiculous and certainly an indicator to me. Same with all those posters in your room...

Most of the anime in your list certainly seem to be ecchi/harem/loli/moe crap to me.

So then you have a bigger list but so what? I don't watch any ecchi & moe etc. anime so obviously my list is going smaller. This isn't a contest here anyway.

typical elitist trash shit im reading right here..... oh well.... what else can i say other than

#staymad
EcchiGodMamsterJul 2, 2016 5:45 PM
Jul 2, 2016 5:48 PM

Jul 2016
Mamster-P said:
Omni_slash95 said:

typical elitist trash shit im reading right here..... oh well.... what else can i say other than

#staymad

Better be an elitist (although I'm not, I enjoy all anime except the garbage harem/ecchi/loli kind) than a horny otaku!
Jul 2, 2016 6:04 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Omni_slash95 said:

Better be an elitist (although I'm not, I enjoy all anime except the garbage harem/ecchi/loli kind) than a horny otaku!

better to be open and honest with yourself than some insecure pussy who looks down on those who like anime he doesn't, and uses 3deep5u anime to try to seem like a badass -___-
Jul 2, 2016 6:05 PM

Jan 2014
Every anime should have ecchi, particularly panty shots. (Y)
“Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore, trust the physician and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.”
Jul 2, 2016 6:17 PM

Jul 2016
Mamster-P said:
Omni_slash95 said:

better to be open and honest with yourself than some insecure pussy who looks down on those who like anime he doesn't, and uses 3deep5u anime to try to seem like a badass -___-

Wut. I didn't even mention any anime. Insecure? Nah I don't mind sex scenes and nudity if its done well (see GoT) but anime is just so damm childish with it. Probably one of the reasons your kind likes it.

And you were the one who got salty people were bashing your favourite genre.

anonypc said:
Just highschool settings. Just no more highschool/middle school settings, it's just too much. Some older characters... like mid 20s or 30s. Hell I wouldn't even care if they were 40s or 50s tbh.

Agreed! Highschool as a setting has been WAY overused, studios just don't seem to give a fuck anymore and just slap the same old settings, generic battle harems, character archtypes etc. together & call it a day
Jul 2, 2016 6:37 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Omni_slash95 said:

Wut. I didn't even mention any anime. Insecure? Nah I don't mind sex scenes and nudity if its done well (see GoT) but anime is just so damm childish with it. Probably one of the reasons your kind likes it.

my bad... looks like im dealing with a badass over here....

idk why i care so much that you hate it, its not like its going to stop because people like you exist.... stay mad son...
Jul 2, 2016 6:42 PM

Jul 2016
Mamster-P said:
Omni_slash95 said:

idk why i care so much that you hate it, its not like its going to stop because people like you exist.... stay mad son...

You obviously care enough to keep replying and getting salty over people bashing your favourite genre which is pretty hilarious.

One can only hope it stops and anime gets better, soo much potential yet in this medium which gets dragged down by neckbeards.
AssumingControlJul 2, 2016 6:46 PM
Jul 2, 2016 6:55 PM

May 2016
The question itself is rather problematic as it infer we ought to censor media....

There is nothing, in principle, that says just because one type of anime is created it prevents another being made.

It seems rather strange to ask a reduction in what one person dislikes just because they have not discovered something to their preference.

Consequently, anime, like all media, are a public industry and, consequently, more often than not 'service' public desires. So if your question is directed towards "why more of certain type of anime is made over another". Well...that's more a systemic social concern than a media/anime/industry one.

This is not to suggest there AREN'T problems with the anime industry, but rather that they are not related to content produced =/
Jul 2, 2016 7:02 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Omni_slash95 said:
Mamster-P said:

You obviously care enough to keep replying and getting salty over people bashing your favourite genre which is pretty hilarious.

One can only hope it stops and anime gets better, soo much potential yet in this medium which gets dragged down by neckbeards.

not a neck-beard, not even close lol..... i probably look NOTHING how you'd expect... infact... if you saw me irl, you'd probably think i thought more like you.... but anyway... you can stay mad...... you elitist trash :D
Jul 2, 2016 7:02 PM

May 2016
What to change about anime? Uh.....its communityXD. Nah, I am just joking. Seriously speaking, I guess it would be the too short length of most series. Make one season 24 episodes or something, then it wont feel so rushed.
Jul 2, 2016 7:33 PM

Jul 2015
I remember when animation was for people who wanted to experience a new and different artistic take on cartoons and how Osamu Tezuka redefined the cartoon into a medium for telling stories that meant something to audiences both young and old. Many followed after him creating cartoons that people from all walks of life, in any time period, could enjoy and learn something from. Now, Japanese cartoons have become repetitive cardboard pandering exclusively for advertisement purposes rather than any venture of creativity or emotion. Shallow, lifeless and meaningless has Japanese animation become. We should hope that one day it returns to the glory it once held rather than being looked down upon as a fetish or a cancer to society but rather an interesting and proactive form of art that reaches into a unique and beautiful culture of people and tells anyone a story that they can enjoy and benefit from.

Basically get rid of 93.6% of all anime being made now and have only like 5-10 high quality shows being made per year.
"Few, but ripe." - C.F. Gauss
Jul 2, 2016 8:33 PM

Feb 2014
less shit n generic ln adaptions obviously

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Jul 3, 2016 2:28 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I'd drastically increase the amount of Harem/Ecchis we get at the expense of other genres. It'd work like killing two birds with one stone - me and the glorious harem/ecchi fan master race get more real, true anime that is a testament to the greatness of the medium, and the increase in Harem/Ecchi at the expense of all of the other genres would drive out the profiligates and heathens away from the holy medium towards other forms of entertainment more suited for their vile heretic ways, meaning the glorious harem/ecchi master race would have plenty and plenty of lebensraum to grow and thrive.

Either that or get rid of Trigger just so I could ejaculate to the tears of their obnoxious fanbase
ManabanJul 3, 2016 2:32 AM

Jul 3, 2016 2:31 AM

Jun 2015
more second seasons, or at least enough episodes for a show to have a proper ending and no more cliffhanger that will never be resolved
Jul 3, 2016 4:27 AM
Aug 2015
As a fan of yaoi, I wish that they wouldn't adapt so much trash and instead give me actual plot PLZ BL LORDS I BEG YOU
Jul 3, 2016 4:38 AM
Mar 2016
echi and harem and fan service

trust me they all rined anime i preffer old school anime with no boobs bouncing no fan service and harem
Jul 3, 2016 4:44 AM

Nov 2015
no fanservice/nudity/anything provocative.. instead, it should have more blood, more gore, less tsunderes, more kuuderes, yangires, yanderes, danderes, and more cute boys.
Jul 3, 2016 7:08 AM

Nov 2008
To stop pandering and copying each other and have some imagination. The only anime I want to watch now are Ghibli movies I've already seen.

Jul 3, 2016 7:40 AM
Jun 2016
Zeus- said:
for me it's blood and boobs for the sake of blood and boobs

now, I'm fine with fanservice and blood if it's fitting or creative, like in the Monogatari series, but then you get shows like Elfen Lied, which I gave a 1/10 because that's what is central to it. the story functions as an excuse to put blood and boobs everywhere and is secondary, lmao

I have seen your list and you put Elfen Lied, Highschool of the Dead and Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi into the same category? A 2/10?

Honestly, I have never watched Highschool of the Dead because I have seen that "boobs matrix" scene on youtube and thought that was absolutely stupid. Now THAT is what you call "boobs for the sake of boobs".

I simply disagree on how you lump Elfen Lied and Rin into the same category as matrix boobs anime.

Elfen Lied has a simple story and there are a lot of unanswered questions which left me wondering. But if you see way past all that, the beauty lie in it's simplicity. It has minimal fan service compared to some animes these days.

Rin on the hand, although poorly executed offers a unique concept. I really wished it did better because I don't think I have seen any other anime with this idea. You see things from the perspective of an immortal who lived through the different timelines, technology advances and how the people around her grow old and die, etc.

Rin and Elfen Lied does not deserve to be put into same category as Matrix boobs.
Jul 3, 2016 7:46 AM

Nov 2015
Pantsu-san, ecchi-kun, tsundere-chan, yandere-chan, loli-chan.

Jul 3, 2016 7:50 AM

Feb 2010
i would like at least some of new anime to concentrate on detailed plot not on visuals and forced dramas.
Jul 3, 2016 11:20 AM

Dec 2015
Like...most people...I want the overt sexualization of children to be taken out.
Jul 3, 2016 12:17 PM
Jun 2016
Reduce fanservice to just females in belly shirts lol XD
Jul 3, 2016 1:21 PM

Dec 2007
The complete obliteration of the isekai/"reincarnated in another world" setting.

Why can't writers just create straight up fantasy worlds without making them so transparently aimed at that specific (30's male office worker who hates their current lives) demographic? Frankly, I find it depressing. The fact that kids/teens seem to like it because it has cute/sexy characters, a protagonist who's individualist/"follow my dreams" ideals match their own, or bloody action is just as bad. That any person can create a cut and paste setting with those things and call themself a writer is disgusting.

I'm alright with (sexual) fanservice as long as it stays within the genre of the show. Ex: its ok in ecchi and not in action shows.

I'd also like more romance series of the seinen and josei variety. Even adaptations of manga are ok. But I doubt that will ever happen.

/rant

In the end I'm perfectly fine with ignoring the things I don't care for.
I'm pretty much content with where anime is these days. The industry looks better now than where it was in the early 2000s in terms of variety of shows, artwork, and the overall connection between the US audience, the US producers, and the JP creators/studios. If anything I can only see the things I don't like phasing out of popularity in the future.
MikiyaJul 3, 2016 1:35 PM
Jul 3, 2016 1:32 PM

Jun 2016
Getting rid of all the Weeaboo's that are associated with it would be a step in the right direction, and if solving the problem took a single bullet at a time for that change to come to pass then so be it.
SindoeJul 3, 2016 1:40 PM

Jul 3, 2016 1:47 PM

Apr 2016
I wish that all anime were made by passionate people who wanted to share a story, bring a work to life, conjure up a symphonic storm, and spread some talent in the industry with the shows they make, filled with great communication and cooperation between everyone involved in production. So more studios like KyoAni and Ufotable.
Jul 3, 2016 2:04 PM

Dec 2007
CodeBlazeFate said:
I wish that all anime were made by passionate people who wanted to share a story, bring a work to life, conjure up a symphonic storm, and spread some talent in the industry with the shows they make, filled with great communication and cooperation between everyone involved in production. So more studios like KyoAni and Ufotable.

I think its important to note that most people working in the industry ARE passionate its just that not all passionate people are capable of creating great works. People who go into animation aren't in it for the fame or money. The same applies to artists and writers everywhere.

Ichiro Itano (directed Gantz) is a super passionate and well known animator but he can't direct anything without it turning into hilarious garbage. The same thing goes for Yasuomi Umetsu (directed Wizard Barristers).

Studio WIT (Attack on Titan) can't budget their time right and it usually ends up hurting the animation in their works but the studio is very passionate about what they make.

Dogakobo (Love Lab, Sansha Sanyou, Mikakunin) shows tend to be incredibly animated in comparison to your average anime because they have connections to young passionate animators that like playing with motion and have directors that allow their animation staff to get creative. However their shows tend to also be overlooked because they have cute girls doing normal things in school settings.
MikiyaJul 3, 2016 2:39 PM
Jul 3, 2016 3:07 PM

Apr 2016
Mikiya said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

I think its important to note that most people working in the industry ARE passionate its just that not all passionate people are capable of creating great works. People who go into animation aren't in it for the fame or money. The same applies to artists and writers everywhere.

Ichiro Itano (directed Gantz) is a super passionate and well known animator but he can't direct anything without it turning into hilarious garbage. The same thing goes for Yasuomi Umetsu (directed Wizard Barristers).

Studio WIT (Attack on Titan) can't budget their time right and it usually ends up hurting the animation in their works but the studio is very passionate about what they make.

Dogakobo (Love Lab, Sansha Sanyou, Mikakunin) shows tend to be incredibly animated in comparison to your average anime because they have connections to young passionate animators that like playing with motion and have directors that allow their animation staff to get creative. However their shows tend to also be overlooked because they have cute girls doing normal things in school settings.

I see what you mean. There are many passionate people out there, and a lot of anime were passion projects, some of which are obvious given its vibes. It's just that many studios like say, A1 Pitcures, don't share this mindset, putting employees through hell for little pay and a cheap product just for a little but of cash, like with most of these Harem Ecchi High School Battle anime, or most of A1's work given that employees suffer trying to make them, and a lot of them are just products that many others who made them didn't give a damn about. Also, shows like Blazblue Alter Memory prove that even Production I.G. isn't immune to cynically made, cheap ass productions, and it feels like some mainstream studios don't really show the passion or care that studios like MAPPA, KyoAni, or Ufotable do, and it really hurts the industry about as much as it helps, since often brainless and unbearable products are made with that type of $$$ mindset. I'm just glad you opened my eyes to know that there are still many studios that care a lot. Even if some of their products turn out to be a mess, or more recently and notably, a "Trainwreck".
Jul 3, 2016 3:10 PM

Oct 2013
-A decrease in moe crap. Not cut out coz people actually like it but just a decrease so we can get a nice balsance between moe and not so moe stuff.

-Make sure adaptions of big mangas like Berserk or anime only continuation of manga like Dragon Ball Super, are not handled by shitty staff and shitty studios and are given to the big great ones like Madhouse or IG Productions. Studio's that will do them justice.

-Decrease the tits of One Piece characters, namely, Nami. I like ffs man, nuttin wrong with big tits but its fkn ridiculous now, bring it back to the sweet spot thwey had during the Water-7 arc and its all good or at least make her flat chested like before.

-No more CGI unless it blends REALLY well with anime.

-Decrease the amount of SAO like anime out there. ITS TOO MUCH!!!!!!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jul 3, 2016 3:39 PM

Feb 2014
fan service and lolis in general. sometimes theyre cute but when the character is ~too~ cutesy its just cringey and annoying lol
Jul 3, 2016 5:04 PM

Dec 2007
CodeBlazeFate said:
I see what you mean. There are many passionate people out there, and a lot of anime were passion projects, some of which are obvious given its vibes. It's just that many studios like say, A1 Pitcures, don't share this mindset, putting employees through hell for little pay and a cheap product just for a little but of cash, like with most of these Harem Ecchi High School Battle anime, or most of A1's work given that employees suffer trying to make them, and a lot of them are just products that many others who made them didn't give a damn about. Also, shows like Blazblue Alter Memory prove that even Production I.G. isn't immune to cynically made, cheap ass productions, and it feels like some mainstream studios don't really show the passion or care that studios like MAPPA, KyoAni, or Ufotable do, and it really hurts the industry about as much as it helps, since often brainless and unbearable products are made with that type of $$$ mindset. I'm just glad you opened my eyes to know that there are still many studios that care a lot. Even if some of their products turn out to be a mess, or more recently and notably, a "Trainwreck".

Ah. Yeah I totally get you. Though, there are a couple things I have to comment on.

When studios make adaptations they are chosen by a specific team of investors (Aniplex, Bandai, Fuji TV, TBS, Lantis, Bushiroad) who give them money and a certain amount of time (a budget) for which to create a work the investors want produced. It is from this money that they make the shows we all watch. And it is from the DVD/BR and merch sales that studios make any sort of profit (they also have to pay TV stations to play their show on TV - think of it as an advertisement for the merch). Most studios aren't of the level to openly shoot down investors money to create adaptations of things that they in turn can make a profit off of from the merch. KyoAni is pretty much the only studio out there that can do this and still get by but even then they still make deals with investors from TV stations and music companies. (KyoAni also runs a legit animation school. I presume they also get quite a bit of money from that too.)

As for A1 Pictures and the whole "putting employees through hell for little pay and a cheap product just for a little but of cash" I can really only comment and say "eh.." to (I am assuming you are referring to the story of the guy who killed himself back in 2010). You hear stories of people committing suicide due to overwork in every stressful service industry. I am an entry-level architect and we always work overtime and on weekends for very little pay so I can kind of relate. Its stressful but at least we are doing something we love. Also 6 years is a long time. I imagine they've completely changed their methods since then.

Also I think its important to realize that studios are just groups of people who like anime or art or writing or whatever. The bad ones here are the ones that want what you consider unwanted content ("Harem Ecchi High School Battle anime") to be produced and that's investors like Aniplex, who aim to make a large profit off of producing several small budget anime they allot to many different studios. A1 Pictures just so happens to be directly connected to Aniplex so they end up doing a lot of these unwanted shows. Though, of course, that also means they do a bunch of super high profile shows that have huge fanbases and are guaranteed money like Idolm@ster and SAO and the soon-to-be Granblue anime adaptation. Unfortunately most studios can really only stay afloat by producing crappy anime from greedy investors otherwise they'll end up like Manglobe. Also without Aniplex there would be no Monogatari series or Madoka Magica or pretty much any big name anime that has come out these past couple of years so even greedy investors can do good too.

Anime isn't a thing people go into unless they are passionate about it. Its a super risky business where very little money is actually being made by the creators/studios/animators/directors/writers themselves. Of course there are going to be "cynically made, cheap ass productions" made on low budgets as well as super untalented people working at studios. That's a given in almost every service based industry everywhere. But it is from those shows simply existing that really great things can be made. KyoAni got its footing by making adaptations of visual novels and light novels aimed at otaku fanbases and now look at where they are.

Bottom line, I think its important to look at the good things we have in anime and pay as little attention as possible to the bad. Eventually these "Harem Ecchi High School Battle anime" will go out of style and thus stop being produced because there is no money to be made.
MikiyaJul 3, 2016 5:46 PM
Jul 3, 2016 5:13 PM

Jul 2015
decrease shitty adaptation like berserk
decrease anime with 12 ep (give us a complete adaptation or just dont give anything)
Jul 3, 2016 5:13 PM

May 2016
CGI needs to take a hike. It is a huge problem with newer mech animes unfortunately. I liked how the animation for mech fights was handled in the original Code Geass series. Whenever I started watching Akito of the Exiled, I was pretty disappointed that they changed from 2D to that annoying CGI crap.

Overly sized boobs are pretty common and annoying these days. Not to mention the aren't really attractive in the slightest. I wouldn't mind those disappearing from the anime scene.

The only other thing I can think of is how OP some middle school aged characters in anime are. I know it goes by the "anime logic", but I get tired of watching animes where some 13-15 year old somehow gains so much strength that they are able to save the whole planet from the most OP villain in anime existence.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
~ George Santayana

Jul 3, 2016 5:22 PM

Jul 2015
Ecchi never hurt anyone. Bad directing, shitty writing, ugly animation, irritating voice acting, lame Otaku pandering, immature concepts, lack of depth and shortage of originality on the other hand...
Jul 3, 2016 5:23 PM

Aug 2013
I'd like ecchi to dissapear unless it fits well like you said in Monogatari series. Also I'm getting really tired seeing all the same tropes again and again, like the typical male MC who is there just so otakus can identify with it. Also maybe more innovative female characters who are the main characters in most of shows. It would add freshness to most of genres.
Oh, yes, and A-1 Pictures dissapearing too. That would be fucking amazing.
MohitVermillionJul 3, 2016 5:28 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2016 5:57 PM

Apr 2016
Mikiya said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Ah. Yeah I totally get you. Though, there are a couple things I have to comment on.

When studios make adaptations they are chosen by a specific team of investors (Aniplex, Bandai, Fuji TV, TBS, Lantis, Bushiroad) who give them money and a certain amount of time (a budget) for which to create a work the investors want produced. It is from this money that they make the shows we all watch. And it is from the DVD/BR and merch sales that studios make any sort of profit (they also have to pay TV stations to play their show on TV - think of it as an advertisement for the merch). Most studios aren't of the level to openly shoot down investors money to create adaptations of things that they in turn can make a profit off of from the merch. KyoAni is pretty much the only studio out there that can do this and still get by but even then they still make deals with investors from TV stations and music companies. (KyoAni also runs a legit animation school. I presume they also get quite a bit of money from that too.)

As for A1 Pictures and the whole "putting employees through hell for little pay and a cheap product just for a little but of cash" I can really only comment and say "eh.." to (I am assuming you are referring to the story of the guy who killed himself back in 2010). You hear stories of people committing suicide due to overwork in every stressful service industry. I am an entry-level architect and we always work overtime and on weekends for very little pay so I can kind of relate. Its stressful but at least we are doing something we love. Also 6 years is a long time. I imagine they've completely changed their methods since then.

Also I think its important to realize that studios are just groups of people who like anime or art or writing or whatever. The bad ones here are the ones that want what you consider unwanted content ("Harem Ecchi High School Battle anime") to be produced and that's investors like Aniplex, who aim to make a large profit off of producing several small budget anime they allot to many different studios. A1 Pictures just so happens to be directly connected to Aniplex so they end up doing a lot of these unwanted shows. Though, of course, that also means they do a bunch of super high profile shows that have huge fanbases and are guaranteed money like Idolm@ster and SAO and the soon-to-be Granblue anime adaptation. Unfortunately most studios can really only stay afloat by producing crappy anime from greedy investors otherwise they'll end up like Madhouse (which is where many of the people working at MAPPA came from). Also without Aniplex there would be no Monogatari series or Madoka Magica or pretty much any big name anime that has come out these couple of past years so even greedy investors can do good too.

Anime isn't a thing people go into unless they are passionate about it. Its a super risky business where very little money is actually being made by the creators/studios/animators/directors/writers themselves. Of course there are going to be "cynically made, cheap ass productions" made on low budgets as well as super untalented people working at studios. That's a given in almost every service based industry everywhere. But it is from those shows simply existing that really great things can be made. KyoAni got its footing by making adaptations of visual novels and light novels aimed at otaku fanbases and now look at where they are.

Bottom line, I think its important to look at the good things we have in anime and pay as little attention as possible to the bad. Eventually these "Harem Ecchi High School Battle anime" will go out of style and thus stop being produced because there is no money to be made.

I have a few points to make myself :)

Yeah, some adaptations are the way they are due to the people that contacted them being the ones responsible for the original work, and a lot of those are generic light novels to begin with. However, it can be very obvious when the people behind the adaptations don't give a damn, like with Production I.G.'s Blazblue Alter Memory cutting out many important subplots of the original games and creating lazy ass fight scenes with little detail to animation, story, or characters. Likewise, some people can put the upmost care into ther adaptation so craft, like Ufotable's Fate/Zero with impressive production values and people who put great effort into translating the story to a more motion like media, as people who put great care into sound choices and art quality.

For the story but, It was actually only ONE example. Another publicized example of animators suffering is when an American animator described how horrible his life was during his time animating in Japan die to overwork and little pay combined with mediocre working conditions. Many companies take their employees for granted, such as A1 Pictures. Also, the suicide story about that A1 pictures animator, I got from Digibro. Just s fun fact. ;)

For the other two points, I agree that many people in this industry are talented and inspired individuals with a passion for their craft. Unfortunately, many cheap pandering generic one-note shows are rather popular, and some stories, like SAO, aren't made with much detail and are more about success and coming up with something rather than creating and tightening a story constructed passionately. Hell, adaptations can be even LAZIER than the original works, if Blazblue Alter Memory is anything to go by. Not everyone here is it it for sharing a story or putting their all into a work for the masses to experience. Some people don't care. Some people take their co-workers for granted, putting them through horrid labor, and some just don't put much care to what they are writing or adapting, which is the sad thing when they don't care that people are waiting for something wonderful to enchant them, and instead do this for some cash, as if it was some random ass McDonalds job.

I'm glad to see when something has passionate craft put into it. Many successful shows are that way because people put much thought and care into making something good for people, even if some either don't get popular, or actually turn out bad (or at least worse than they expected). Unfortunately, not every successful show or movie was made by passionate members of the industry, and so many of those transparently half-hearted shows have become successful, which is what many of us are sick of, and possibly why this thread was even made.

Hopefully, your prediction of this fad running out of style becomes very true, and that these types of shows become more and more obscure. I also hope that more of our money will be spent on actual passion projects instead of shoving cash at mediocrity or being lazy and going the illegal route for these things (but that's a whole other discussion entirely).
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

125 by FFandMMfan »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

205 by TheMinkalex »»
5 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

26 by BatoKusanagi »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

33 by Maou_heika »»
11 minutes ago

» What's the worst anime year? ( 1 2 3 )

Hira1 - Nov 26, 2020

112 by Serafos »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.