Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Flying Witch
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 26, 2016 5:37 AM

Nov 2011
The finish is not very original, but it's cute and nice pier to see the summer festival, I would have preferred that gave a bit of time to better admire the yukata of the characters. Cute and original Fish of the earth. After this series, came to me want to put hand to the cutting and sewing and still devote myself more to gardening, I wish a beautiful house with a garden! I hope they do not end here the adventures of Makoto and his companions.
I love the series with witches, and this coupled with the slice of life was perfect. Excellent work of the JC Staff, designs and style, were beautiful, even the animations were very good as not to mention the scenery, really fascinating and well done. Not far away is the CG of the Whale flying, really well done.

For now, my vote is 8.30/10
Jun 26, 2016 5:43 AM

Oct 2013
I can't add much to what most others have posted. AOTS for me. These kinds of shows - Non Non Biyori, Aria, etc - speak to something in my soul. It's the world I wish I could live in.

I really hope there is another season of Flying Witch. 10/10 for me. I can't think of anything I did not like about it.

Poor dad, he was hungry, but the women of the house were too busy.
Jun 26, 2016 6:05 AM
Jun 2014
I'm going to really miss sitting down on each lazy Sunday morning and watching Flying Witch, definitely 9/10.
Jun 26, 2016 6:38 AM
Jul 2018
Double episode, woo woo

Best show this season for me by far. I'll miss it. Season 2 please?
Jun 26, 2016 6:42 AM

Jan 2015
Dat Eartfishes lol, alcoholism everywhere lol, still nice ending of this show, nice, funny, relaxing (unlike Tanaka-kun's boringness) and the biggest plus = Witches!!! 7/10 for whole show
Jun 26, 2016 7:11 AM

Jun 2013
that was a nice and heartwarming series
Jun 26, 2016 8:27 AM

Apr 2011
And the series ends.

Makoto has a nice talent in making robes. Chinatsu looking cute in that red robe. The earth fish were cute.

JC Staff has done a great work with this. They clearly put a good budget seeing how the good designs, animation and background art is. All the characters are likable and entertaining in their own way.

This SOL anime is a gem this season. Soothing, relaxing, funny, and enjoyable. It just sucks you in to their world and temporary forget about the real life.

I love relaxing SOL anime. They help you relax, and calm from a stressful day, tired, a bad mood, etc. It just slowly sucks out all the negative feelings you have and leaves you in a good feeling after watching.

Its sad to see this series gone. Time sure flies. Hoping Japanese fans will love this too and convince JC Staff to make another season. Thankfully there's Amanchu next season. Adapted from a manga and whose author created the masterpiece Aria. One of my highly anticipated series for summer. There's also quite a few more SOL for summer which I'll look into more.

I'll give this a 8/10 for this lovable series. Will surely watch this again sometime.
Jun 26, 2016 8:46 AM

Oct 2015
Probably just me, but I think the series was too SoL-ey....

Like, it felt lame when Chinatsu commanded her brother to turn into a doughnut, and he started acting like... basically an idiot.

Anyways, 6/10. Pretty meh series.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jun 26, 2016 9:06 AM
Aug 2013
Nice and calming SoL, would love to see more.

Gonna miss Akane. <3
Jun 26, 2016 9:36 AM

Dec 2015
So sad that this was only 12 episodes because I could watch it endlessly.

Flying Witch set out to be a laid back SOL with some light magical elements and it did it perfectly at every turn. You know you have a great cast of characters when you can have them do every day activities and still make things interesting.
A super chilled and relaxing anime, I loved every single episode.

8/10 - My AotS Spring 2016
Bobby2HandsJun 26, 2016 9:55 AM
Jun 26, 2016 10:02 AM

Apr 2014
It already ends and still no romance developed yet TT^TT
Overall, I really enjoying this series.
Hope there is a second season and they go into the romance route.
8/10
Jun 26, 2016 10:08 AM

May 2008
Oh Flying Witch, what am I gonna do without you? We had a good time, you and I, just chilling out on a Saturday afternoon.

Like everyone else, Flying Witch was a AOTS easily. The story, characters, environment, animation quality and soundtrack were all spot on for a great SoL anime. It felt very much like ARIA's spiritual successor, in a way that has a relaxing environment clashed with the supernatural. I loved how relaxing it was, which was just what I needed to balance out the rest of the season's big shows. (And Flying Witch was the only show I watched that actually delivered in the end. Funny how that works out.)

I hope they'll be a second season, seeing as the manga is still ongoing. The BD sales aren't super great, though. I'm just gonna go cross my fingers.

9/10
Jun 26, 2016 10:13 AM

Jun 2011
i'm going to miss this anime, I always watched it as soon as I woke up.
it was very refreshing and relaxing.
8/10

One said:

Like, it felt lame when Chinatsu commanded her brother to turn into a doughnut, and he started acting like... basically an idiot.

Its supposed to be slice of life, and its considered a "healing" anime, these type of anime don't actually follow much a story, but really depends on the characters to carry out their actions. This anime just wasn't meant for you, which is why you didn't enjoy it, you really have to be in the right mood to appreciate it.
Jun 26, 2016 11:07 AM

Sep 2015
Flying Witch still continues to amaze me as we head into the final episode on how it is able to make a 20 minute episode feel like mere seconds. Before I know it the episode is over and I'm left with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

While I wish we had explored the magic side of things a bit more I am still quite satisfied with how the series went and it is definitely a great series to wind down with. Here's hoping for another season!

8/10
Jun 26, 2016 11:31 AM

Dec 2012
Great like all the episodes. The scene with the fishes was beautiful. I hope that a season 2 will come. Flying Witch is one of my favorite SoL.
Jun 26, 2016 11:32 AM
Jul 2015
See, I'm beyond aggravated that this had to be slice of life. Witches and things are my thing right there but nooo slice of life right on that crap. So sad. Owell. Didn't really enjoy the anime but it had it's moments, like when the MC's sister was yelling AII AYY AYIA YIA when she was drunk den/den
Jun 26, 2016 12:00 PM

Apr 2014
this series was nice and relaxing and i ended up enjoying this series alot

would honestly love a season 2

but god ima miss watching this series every sunday
"one step at a time"
Jun 26, 2016 12:01 PM
Apr 2013
Absolutely loved this anime. It truly captured the essence of Slice of Life. Definitely my AOTS and honestly would love to see more of it
Jun 26, 2016 1:29 PM

Feb 2015
Decent series but not one that will live long in the memory 7/10
Jun 26, 2016 1:53 PM

Oct 2015
Rayla said:
One said:

Its supposed to be slice of life, and its considered a "healing" anime, these type of anime don't actually follow much a story, but really depends on the characters to carry out their actions. This anime just wasn't meant for you, which is why you didn't enjoy it, you really have to be in the right mood to appreciate it.
I know what SoL is... I've watched quite a handful of SoL. But I'd put Flying Witch into the 'lame' category, mainly because they emphasised too much on the small stuff instead of a bigger picture. One example being that they didn't show them going to the festival and having fun. That would have been better. Instead what they wasted time on was make Chinatsu show off every little thing to her mom/dad, which felt really slow and lame. Not to mention that this anime was lacking a little comedy. The only episodes I found to be well done from a comedic point of view were episodes 2 and 7 I think. They had one scene which would make you laugh, rather than either sitting poker face or smiling throughout the whole series.

For me, an SoL which has light humor, lovable characters and maybe some romance attached to it would make for a great watch. I'd give Flying Witch a 6/10 for light humor & 7/10 for likeability of characters, thus an overall of 6.
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jun 26, 2016 2:02 PM
Mar 2015
I'm looking forward for 2nd season so much, it's so chill and cool... <3

10/10

Gonna miss it if there won't be continuation :[
Jun 26, 2016 4:01 PM

Jul 2011
One of the best SoL I've come across. Probably my new favorite too. It's calm, natural, cute, and adds a dash of magic and fantasy that makes it so fun to watch rather than boring. From what I've seen, definitely one of a kind. It naturally incorporates the world of magic into everyday life. I love the characters and their natural, playful interactions too.

I was worried starting it because SoL with female protagonists tend to annoy or bore me in some way or another, but this was a real gem!
Plus the animation is absolutely gorgeous.

This is something I'll end up reading, but it would be a shame if there isn't a second season.

MirorinJun 26, 2016 4:05 PM
Jun 26, 2016 8:13 PM

Jan 2011
love this ! season 2 needs to happen find it hard to not come out of each episode feeling good!

only thing i could say i wish there was a bit more Witch like stuff and while i like Makoto a lot it seemed like Chinatsu had more of a focus at times in fact she got more development since she wasn't even a witch to begin with lol.

8/10 !
Jun 26, 2016 11:55 PM
Jul 2018
Really going to miss this show. I'll probably do the same as I do with Aria and just re-watch it whenever I've had a shit day at work.

My favorite of the season.
Jun 27, 2016 12:07 AM

Jul 2015
the world in flying witch is absolutely beautiful. it gives me a guild wars 2ish vibe haha 9/10 series was relaxing and something i could look forward to every week
Jun 27, 2016 12:22 AM
Sep 2008
most fuckable hime cut this season comes to an end
Jun 27, 2016 12:59 AM

Oct 2014
I watched a lot this season (a lot) but while most either wrapped itself up or is something I was already reading or just wasn't up to expectations in some way, this show is going to be the one I really miss not seeing every week. Charming and grounded, a nothing happens but everything is magical but not ridiculous kind of story, with one of the best and most convincing young child characters I've seen in as long as I can remember in Chinatsu. A whole interesting world is hinted at that a spin off would be interesting to explore (Kenny's anthropology adventures and Akane is probably the overpowered mage in an adventure manga and comes home between insane travels). The world building was just so natural and not forced at all. Story needs more Nao in it though! Her reactions to everything are priceless, would have loved for her to see the whale or the fish. Kei made for a decent older brother-cousin figure.

Definitely going to pick this up reading and pray for a second season. The only thing wrong with this is there isn't more of it.
Jun 27, 2016 1:08 AM

Feb 2014
Probably the best episode of the entire series. It had some heartwarming moments towards the end where we learned that not just Makoto but even Akane has come to see Chinatsu and the rest as their own family. And even though Akane spent most of her time being a drunk or sprawling on the floor in the house and taking long naps like a cat, it appears the reason why she took a break from her globetrotting was to make sure her clumsy and absentminded sister was doing well.

Sadly, the rest of the show sometimes felt a little too uneventful and mundane even for me. Still, I am actually going to miss this show. It's not often you get an Iyashikei anime, especially these days. It gets a 7/10 from me. Might raise the score upon rewatch. Hope it gets another season.
VhailorJun 27, 2016 2:08 AM
Jun 27, 2016 1:40 AM
May 2015
Strength: Best show in term of cinematography. Pastel'ish tone to match the atmosphere. Top notch picture sequencing (F*ck Zack Snyder, this is how to tell the story) Picturesque art and background.

Weekness: Typical Iyashikei weakness. No actual plot.

8.5/10 recommend
Jun 27, 2016 3:33 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
OMG the earthfish, i loved that.

I feel bad for not getting into this earlier, only in the last episodes i felt like i got into it.

7/10
Jun 27, 2016 5:10 AM

Jul 2015
9/10 AOTS and so far AOTY for me (maybe tied with rokugo)

chinatsu is the best
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Jun 27, 2016 6:33 AM

Nov 2012
I don't know how I can go through my Mondays anymore without this anime.
A city's greatness is determined by the speed of its internet connection.
Jun 27, 2016 6:38 AM

Oct 2015
mozgow said:
This anime was great from start to finish. I would absolutely love to see next season of this!

And the reaction faces are simply brilliant! :-)

This was a good show. Will miss this and Tanaka-kun.

Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don’t care.
Jun 27, 2016 10:02 AM
Dec 2015
Calming and whimsical. Can't sit through it all at one shot but an episode at a time takes your mind away to a world where the only drama you would face is what to eat for your next meal.

8/10 -> My weekly sedative and no better timing than to release it on lazy Sundays.
VeritasEtLuxJun 27, 2016 10:25 AM
Jun 27, 2016 10:08 AM

Apr 2015
Why do a nice things always end...

I loved this soo much. The characters, the interactions, the atmosphere, EVERYTHING.

I'm praying for a second season. Going to read the manga for sure.

10/10
Jun 27, 2016 2:37 PM

Jul 2015
This need a second season !!
Jun 27, 2016 5:39 PM

Nov 2013
ScarRufus said:
I loved this show.

and Inukai is the best witch for me *-*

I agree.

Makoto's face as she saw her sister was great. It was like: I'll pretend I've never seen that. Lets fly.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jun 27, 2016 7:57 PM

Jul 2015
Aaaaahhhhh the final episode. I know I'm gonna miss this perfectly calming and relaxing anime. The way she flies her broom is so smooth. Chito teaches how to be the best cat. Drunk Akane is awesome, like, super awesome. And earth fish are weird. A nice and cute finale to a nice and cute anime. 8/10 by me :3

I'M GOING TO MISS THIS SHOW SO MUCH. HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO CALM DOWN NOW.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jun 27, 2016 11:18 PM
Jan 2015
I loved every minute of this anime and I'm sad to see it end but I have to say I loved the festival ending. Hopefully we get to see a second season of this amazing just relaxing anime.
Jun 28, 2016 12:31 AM

Jul 2015
Man, I loved this... Watched every episode with a smile on my face. Perfect for relaxing and then go to sleep joyful.
Why can't this show go on an ongoing basis? Already missing it... :'c

10/10 Makoto <3 main waifu for life.
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Jun 28, 2016 6:21 AM

Dec 2015
One of my favorite series this season. Beautiful opening, beautiful ending, cute stories, nice and understandable japanese language (I'm studying it and this series are easy to understand and listen), beautiful art, backgrounds and characters.

9/10 anime for me.
Jun 28, 2016 7:14 AM

Dec 2012
Beautiful series. I watched Aria before finishing up the last 3 episodes of this and it was quite on par with it imo. 9/10
Anime of the season for me. Akane and Inukai were my favorite but loved everyone one of them.
Jun 28, 2016 7:55 AM

Nov 2013
One said:
I know what SoL is... I've watched quite a handful of SoL. But I'd put Flying Witch into the 'lame' category, mainly because they emphasised too much on the small stuff instead of a bigger picture.

But this is exactly what slice of life is. Flying Witch is slice of life in the purest sense of the term, a show that depicts the little delights in life with no conflict, narrative, and/or extraneous elements like romance or drama. It is one of the very few shows that can only be categorized only as SoL and nothing else, which is quite impressive in its own right.

The main strength of Flying Witch is its ability to equate the magical and the mundane. For example, that sense of wonder when the characters witness the ancient flying whale is definitely present — even more so when the characters explore the ancient ruins on its back — but the show doesn't place a particularly strong focus on the phenomenon. They hop on the whale, walk around a bit, meet someone, and then that's it. They leave, and tthe whale soars away, continuing its journey through the endless skies. And the very next scene is of the characters making and eating hotcakes, which seems completely insignificant in comparison, but the amazing thing is that this mundane hotcake scene is given as much, if not more, emphasis than the majestic whale scene. While they're eating, one of the characters enthusiastically talks about the history of hotcakes in Japan, which is far more detailed than and just as interesting as the history of the flying whale.

Basically, the main theme of Flying Witch is that the mundane is just as amazing as the magical. And it delivers this message effortlessly. I see that some people dislike the fact that Flying Witch didn't focus more on the magical side of its world, but I found the show far more fascinating because it didn't.
TienJun 28, 2016 7:59 AM
Jun 28, 2016 8:10 AM

Nov 2015
Nice episode, Akane is being herself and Inukai is back! And Chinatsu looked good in that red hoodie.

Good ending 8/10.

Jun 28, 2016 10:35 AM

Apr 2015
The expected kind of final episode.

Well made SOL undoubtedly, hardly a flaw within its boundaries. Art relaxing, sounds relaxing, characters relaxing, production relaxing, voice acting relaxing, good spray of comedy. Biggest problem was that the characters weren't completely endearing for me, hindered my enjoyment quite a bit. I think I would have appreciated this better if I had a little more peace of mind in real life. 6-7/10
Jun 28, 2016 12:25 PM

Jun 2014
Didn't expect this to be as good as it is.
It's my favourite show of the season. *Crosses fingers for season 2
Jun 28, 2016 12:46 PM

Oct 2015
Tien said:
One said:
I know what SoL is... I've watched quite a handful of SoL. But I'd put Flying Witch into the 'lame' category, mainly because they emphasised too much on the small stuff instead of a bigger picture.

But this is exactly what slice of life is. Flying Witch is slice of life in the purest sense of the term, a show that depicts the little delights in life with no conflict, narrative, and/or extraneous elements like romance or drama..... etc etc full post
Maybe another fact is that I was sort of comparing this to Tanaka-kun as this season's SoL face-off.

Anyways, I like some light-hearted comedy to go along with an SoL series. Flying Witch fails to do that, because it was too focused on the so called 'little things that make it pleasant'. Another thing is that, although I liked some of the characters, I didn't quite grow to like all of them. They didn't really deliever with all of the characters, for example Chinatsu's big brother. He had little role to play in the whole series, especially considering the fact that he was related to the main cast.

PS. More focus on magic would indeed have been a turn-off for me as well.
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jun 28, 2016 2:29 PM

Jul 2009
Akane really likes to drink, she is like an old man...
The fish part was pretty. 7/10
Jun 28, 2016 3:08 PM

Feb 2011
10/10, no doubts, no regrets. Now this is truly a 'healing' anime if I ever saw one because it healed me alright. Second favorite anime of the season behind Hero Academia, I enjoyed it all the way through and I would LOVE to see more.

Now please Sentai, hurry up with that Blu-ray release :D
Jun 29, 2016 12:49 AM

Dec 2014
I had no idea Chito was a "she".

Nice and relaxing overall. Solid art and animation all throughout. And it helps that it doesn't seem to pander to otaku, which affects my enjoyment.

Debated giving it an 8, but I feel the lasting impact the show had on me isn't as strong as my initial Non Non Biyori watch, so 7/10 it is.
I need sleep.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Flying Witch Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2016

86 by WolfWood37 »»
Mar 17, 9:18 PM

Poll: » Flying Witch Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2016

87 by WolfWood37 »»
Mar 17, 8:30 PM

Poll: » Flying Witch Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2016

87 by WolfWood37 »»
Mar 17, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Flying Witch Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 28, 2016

147 by WolfWood37 »»
Mar 16, 11:55 PM

Poll: » Flying Witch Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 21, 2016

118 by WolfWood37 »»
Mar 16, 11:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.