Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 23, 2016 11:30 AM
Jun 2012
So after looking through topics I've found that I'm not the only person who still doesn't know what the hell this anime is about, so far at least. Now don't get me wrong, I really like this anime, but that's the thing that's weird. Normally don't we as anime fans criticize anime when they appear to have no direction or plot? Yet we're 12 episodes in but still don't know how or why Barusu(I like that nickname lol) is in that world, what exactly is his goal, and who the villain is(though I guess we can assume it's the witch). Despite all of this the majority, myself included, really like this anime.

So I'm wondering what about ReZero hooked you and kept you watching it this far? Have most people just read the source material and are just patiently waiting for some big twist or surprise?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 23, 2016 11:40 AM

Apr 2015
I think a big part that plays into this is that this anime feels more like a retelling of a story rather than an adaptation. They adapted it faithfully and without rush ( if you overlook episode 12 but that's only for the greater good of the overall show ) and as a result you savor every small detail you get.

Another part is probably also that there is no real downtime in this story, at least it doesn't last long. Neither the characters nor us get a true break from things. I hear from a lot of people that they're constantly tense because they fear that something could happen any second. This doesn't seem to be something that happens very often so that also might be a reason.
Jun 23, 2016 11:47 AM

May 2016
Charm, the it factor.

It's not lewd despite being anime. Esp a fantasy one.

Girl power, feminism. Powerful female characters. Thrones... Etc.

Looks like a stupid happy cute anime but turns out dark.

Plays with the viewers expection.

Names..... Universal not Ching chong ling long (very broad appeal) [don't currr if it sounds racist)
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jun 23, 2016 11:47 AM
Jun 2012
Fappa said:
I think a big part that plays into this is that this anime feels more like a retelling of a story rather than an adaptation. They adapted it faithfully and without rush ( if you overlook episode 12 but that's only for the greater good of the overall show ) and as a result you savor every small detail you get.

Another part is probably also that there is no real downtime in this story, at least it doesn't last long. Neither the characters nor us get a true break from things. I hear from a lot of people that they're constantly tense because they fear that something could happen any second. This doesn't seem to be something that happens very often so that also might be a reason.

That second point you made really makes sense. Subaru has been dying multiple times since like episode 2 or 3 and I feel like that maintained this sense of urgency in the story. I wasn't wondering IF he would die but what was going to happen, what would he do different after he died.
Jun 23, 2016 11:48 AM
Jun 2012
TeamDalaiLana said:
Charm, the it factor.

Names..... Universal not Ching chong ling long (very broad appeal) [don't currr if it sounds racist)

Oh the lack of excessive fan service has been a blessing for this anime!
Jun 23, 2016 1:16 PM

Apr 2015
BrianMX34 said:

That second point you made really makes sense. Subaru has been dying multiple times since like episode 2 or 3 and I feel like that maintained this sense of urgency in the story. I wasn't wondering IF he would die but what was going to happen, what would he do different after he died.

The thing that amazes me though is that the show and story is already so well received although we've been in the introductions arc until recently ( ep 12 ).

Arc 1 and 2 are acknowledged as the weakest part in the entire story and they're also the tamest and most uneventful ones. I can't even imagine what people's opinion will be once we get really into arc 3.
Jun 23, 2016 1:23 PM

Aug 2015
BrianMX34 said:
Fappa said:

There's no tension because you know he'll keep coming back to life in a past checkpoint. He can still die but the fact that he can come back and change things around makes the seriousness of these situations evaporate. So, in order to create tension, because you know people will still exist and can be saved, you just destroy the relation MC has with the others. So, you fear not for his death, but for him losng what he had gained until now.
"Vaut mieux se suffire à soi que finir assoiffé dans le monde des apparences."

Jun 23, 2016 1:29 PM

Apr 2015
ColdBreeze said:
Tony_SansNom said:
There's no tension because you know he'll keep coming back to life in a past checkpoint. He can still die but the fact that he can come back and change things around makes the seriousness of these situations evaporate. So, in order to create tension, because you know people will still exist and can be saved, you just destroy the relation MC has with the others. So, you fear not for his death, but for him losng what he had gained until now.
I wouldn't be so sure about the first part though.

Yep, we've seen so little of the story and the author wouldn't have already written 30+ volumes worth of content if he didn't have something up his sleeve.
Jun 23, 2016 1:30 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
There's a pretty clear difference between an anime being directionless and an anime merely leaving you in the dark intentionally for a long time. This is clearly the latter, and it's not a bad thing
Jun 23, 2016 1:39 PM

Jul 2015
Tony_SansNom said:

[anime-only]
First, consider that the save points could move to his disadvantage. If one of the character died and the save point moved after that, this character would die for all eternity.

Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Jun 23, 2016 1:42 PM

Apr 2014
I feel like I'm in a minority by saying I only find this show to be average.
Maybe it's because of the recent influx of time reset and "stuck in a fantasy world" premises we've been seeing a trend of lately.
Edgy anime usually pique my tastes but maybe I was expecting too much when I decided to start watching this anime.
Jun 23, 2016 1:45 PM

Mar 2016
Because it panders to you.

It panders to me too though not as much.
Jun 23, 2016 1:57 PM
Apr 2015
Protaku said:
Maybe it's because of the recent influx of time reset and "stuck in a fantasy world" premises we've been seeing a trend of lately.
Edgy anime usually pique my tastes but maybe I was expecting too much when I decided to start watching this anime.
well dont forget that we are only in episode 12 we have a long road until the end maybe your opinion will change
Jun 23, 2016 2:01 PM

Apr 2014
Prorewiel said:
Protaku said:
well dont forget that we are only in episode 12 we have a long road until the end maybe your opinion will change

Well the episodes have slowly been getting a bit better as they went by, so I do hope the trend continues. I'm just worried we'll be left with a "read the light novel" ending at the end.
Jun 23, 2016 2:03 PM

Aug 2015
ColdBreeze said:
I wouldn't be so sure about the first part though.

Fappa said:
Yep, we've seen so little of the story and the author wouldn't have already written 30+ volumes worth of content if he didn't have something up his sleeve.

Sometimes791 said:

[anime-only]
First, consider that the save points could move to his disadvantage. If one of the character died and the save point moved after that, this character would die for all eternity.

I know all this because someone spoiled
for me here... so I know what you mean. I was talking with the perspective of someone not being aware of all these things, as of until episode 12. This is what newcomers see. So this is how they react to it.

Jun 23, 2016 2:03 PM

Jul 2015
Protaku said:
Well the episodes have slowly been getting a bit better as they went by, so I do hope the trend continues. I'm just worried we'll be left with a "read the light novel" ending at the end.

The ending will most likely conclude the arc in a more or less satisfying manner from what I've heard, but it could also be a cliffhanger. It really depends on the viewer.

@Tony_SansNom So you agree with me or what? And for what purpose serves the spoiler tag in your post?
Bernkishi07Jun 23, 2016 2:15 PM
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Jun 23, 2016 2:15 PM

Apr 2015
Protaku said:

Well I've read the WN version of the ending of arc 3.
Personally I thought it was absolutely amazing and it definitely was representative of the show's overall nature ( that you really get to see in the upcoming episodes ).

Of course it has to be kind of cliffhangerish because it ends about 15% into the story but to be honest this is how a cliffhanger is done right. It's a conclusive ending for the arc and that's pretty much the one requirement for it to be not bad.

It's kind of ironic because after the anime there won't be any light novels to read for at least a month ( if we don't count the web novels )
Jun 23, 2016 2:17 PM

Sep 2009
I haven't watched it yet, and I already know it's not good. Don't worry about it.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 23, 2016 2:26 PM
Apr 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
I haven't watched it yet, and I already know it's not good. Don't worry about it.
how can you say its not good if you hadent watched it?
Jun 23, 2016 2:30 PM

Sep 2009
Prorewiel said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Read the manga and had a look at the light novel, the rating isn't that high, and 99% of everything isn't good.
Jun 23, 2016 2:41 PM

Aug 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
Prorewiel said:

Read the manga and had a look at the light novel, the rating isn't that high, and 99% of everything isn't good.

If you believe argumentum ad populum was the way to properly rate art, your personality must be really petty, Mr. ATrollAmI.

Jun 23, 2016 2:42 PM

Sep 2009
Tony_SansNom said:
MortalMelancholy said:

If you believe argumentum ad populum was the way to properly rate art, your personality must be really petty, Mr. ATrollAmI.

I don't rate what I don't watch. I'm just extremely confident that it's not good.
Jun 23, 2016 2:45 PM
Jul 2018
MortalMelancholy said:
Prorewiel said:

You're incorrect. It was already proven to be good. One insignificant opinion won't change that fact.

Yeah I thought you might've been trolling. O_o I was like: '*Thinks* *Considers* No. He makes no sense. At an alarming level. Must be trolling. But I'll give the standard answer.' Then I read the sign.

Btw guys take a look at this review: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/should-you-watch-rezero-starting-life-another-world-episode-1-spring-anime-2016-524590

It's what comes first when you google 'rezero review'. @Fappa, I'd like your opinion on that.

In that review, the person basically takes the bait. Lol. But maybe a more in depth analysis would amuse us more?
removed-userJun 23, 2016 2:49 PM
Jun 23, 2016 2:46 PM

Aug 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
Tony_SansNom said:

I don't rate what I don't watch. I'm just extremely confident that it's not good.

And you are extremely confident that Mirai Nikki is good, right?
Besides, if you haven't watched it then you can't know if it is good or not. There are also a lot of people who are spreading misinformation around.

Jun 23, 2016 2:49 PM

Aug 2015
iRels said:
MortalMelancholy said:

You're incorrect. It was already proven to be good. One insignificant opinion won't change that fact.

Yeah I thought you might've been trolling. O_o I was like: '*Thinks* *Considers* No. He makes no sense. At an alarming level. Must be trolling. But I'll give the standard answer.' Then I read the sign.

Btw guys take a look at this review: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/should-you-watch-rezero-starting-life-another-world-episode-1-spring-anime-2016-524590

It's what comes first when you google 'rezero review'. @Fappa, I'd like your opinion on that.

This wasn't aimed at me but I stopped reading at "Arslan".

Jun 23, 2016 2:53 PM

Sep 2009
iRels said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Well, it's always nice to be told that my opinion is incorrect, and that your opinions are "proven." I hope you can continue to take pride in your significant opinion in the future.

Tony_SansNom said:
MortalMelancholy said:

And you are extremely confident that Mirai Nikki is good, right?
Besides, if you haven't watched it then you can't know if it is good or not. There are also a lot of people who are spreading misinformation around.

No, I know for sure that Mirai Nikki is good. But they're close enough; no need to nitpick. And neither your opinions nor mine are information.
Jun 23, 2016 2:58 PM

Apr 2015
@iRels Well that made me face palm about 10 times, lol.
Tappei would have mad fun reading that.
Jun 23, 2016 3:05 PM

May 2016
TeamDalaiLana said:
Charm, the it factor.

An MC transfered into another world so that he can save chicks to add to his harem collection. It played with the viewers expectations alright.
Jun 23, 2016 3:11 PM

Jan 2013
Hmmm, it's between a 5 and 6 for me. ;)
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 23, 2016 3:37 PM
Jul 2018
Cabron said:

That's kind of...priceless. (Check his profile.)
Jun 23, 2016 3:59 PM

Jan 2013
iRels said:
Cabron said:

That's nice, but my profile has nothing to do with how I rated it.

Jun 23, 2016 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
Cabron said:
iRels said:

Even more priceless. (Even if not in the same way.)
Jun 23, 2016 4:13 PM

Jan 2013
iRels said:
Cabron said:

Is it though?
Care to explain?

Jun 23, 2016 4:18 PM
Jul 2018
Cabron said:
iRels said:

Is it though?
Care to explain?

Were you that clueless as to what was going on here? Check MortalMelancholy's posts.

But that's him/her, not me.
Jun 23, 2016 4:21 PM

Jan 2013
@iRels I wasn't clueless.
I'm just answering OP's question.

Jun 23, 2016 5:54 PM

Mar 2016
This anime piqued my interest because it was friggin' everywhere I looked that I simply couldn't ignore it any longer. I started watching expecting another cliched fantasy adventure piece, but it turned out to be much, much more. Very happy I didn't pass this one up.
Jun 23, 2016 6:01 PM

Jun 2014
I found this anime interesting due to the transition of Subarus character as he slowly has to live out the repetition of constantly starting over again. Also the story telling is way different from other animes of similar genre and has a overall dark feel to it as the series continues. The character are intriguing to say the least and character development is not bad.
Jun 23, 2016 7:04 PM

Mar 2015
At first I hated it. because Suba was just dying over and over in such terrible ways. I started to think it was nothing but a mindless gorefest anime that ripped off of Groundhog Day. After Reinhart showed up and FINALLY got that friggin Elsa out of the picture, my interest returned because the plot finally started to move and the characters finally started remembering Suba.
Jun 23, 2016 7:32 PM

Mar 2010
Protaku said:

You kinda of have a point with the later, but we barely get any stories dealing the former. I mean Erased was last time manipulation story we gotten in a while and even that worked quite different from Re:Zero. "Stuck in a other world" has been a staple of fiction just as much as any genre for hundreds years, so I don't there much point criticizing Re:Zero being one. I mean would you watch a show with romance as between two people as it's base story then complain about it?
Jun 24, 2016 3:11 PM

Apr 2013
Because ERASED happened.
Jun 24, 2016 7:46 PM
Jun 2016
The anime sucks guys, read the manga. Also, reincarnation/time travel/other world manga are pretty popular.
Jun 24, 2016 8:19 PM

Apr 2012
BrianMX34 said:
TeamDalaiLana said:
Charm, the it factor.

Oh the lack of excessive fan service has been a blessing for this anime!

Clearly, I'm glad they aren't making this a "fanservice everywhere" anime, story is nice + char are really great ( + waifu :*) )
Jun 26, 2016 6:56 AM
Apr 2015
BrianMX34 said:
So after looking through topics I've found that I'm not the only person who still doesn't know what the hell this anime is about, so far at least. Now don't get me wrong, I really like this anime, but that's the thing that's weird. Normally don't we as anime fans criticize anime when they appear to have no direction or plot? Yet we're 12 episodes in but still don't know how or why Barusu(I like that nickname lol) is in that world, what exactly is his goal, and who the villain is(though I guess we can assume it's the witch). Despite all of this the majority, myself included, really like this anime.

So I'm wondering what about ReZero hooked you and kept you watching it this far? Have most people just read the source material and are just patiently waiting for some big twist or surprise?
BrianMX34 said:

BrianMX34 said:

You god damn right, i stopped after episode 8 and i'm still searching a topic that make this Anime worth watching.
Jun 26, 2016 6:58 AM

Apr 2015
I can't answer this question, because I don't consider it above a 5.5/10
Jun 26, 2016 10:04 AM

May 2009
I wish people didn't start threads with logical fallacies in titles
Jun 26, 2016 10:13 AM

Jan 2015
Seems like it is not good anymore for Light Novel readers, lel.
Jun 26, 2016 10:16 AM

Apr 2015
Xenocrisi said:

It is. People simply go crazy over 2 episodes that we already knew were faster pace. Nothing of major importance has cut and the two scenes are very likely to be rearranged like they did in arc 2.
Jun 26, 2016 10:20 AM

Jan 2015
Fappa said:
Xenocrisi said:

It is. People simply go crazy over 2 episodes that we already knew were faster pace. Nothing of major importance has cut and the two scenes are very likely to be rearranged like they did in arc 2.

Then go tell this to DarkLordVor, he is getting a bit "crazy". He was expecting a 1:1 adaptation, I guess.
Jun 26, 2016 10:28 AM

Apr 2015
Xenocrisi said:

Then go tell this to DarkLordVor, he is getting a bit "crazy". He was expecting a 1:1 adaptation, I guess.

He's majorly invested in the series so every small cut hits him a bit more, understandable. Just note that for these two episodes are nothing that "destroyed" this faithful adaptation. Some said that in arc 2 and got their scenes 2 episodes later :).
Jun 26, 2016 1:00 PM

Dec 2015
BrianMX34 said:
So I'm wondering what about ReZero hooked you and kept you watching it this far?

What hooked me was the fact it is a full-length series rather than a half one. So I got over the fact it was coming from a light-novel series (after all, I like Slayers)
I still watch it because it is neither bad nor good and is nicely made (the fact I dislike this recent style of drawings doesn't make the anime ugly).

I still feel like I am watching pointless events follow each other, but since there are 26 episodes... I supposed I could wait for a bit. The fact we just reached the half-point does bother me and makes me fear for its fitire.
About the characters: the lack of "love" for them does not come into play for me, since I rarely "care" about characters.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2016

631 by XionnaMing »»
Today, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

715 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 1:39 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

2072 by Nanami0007 »»
Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2016

538 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.