Forum Settings
Forums

What makes an act or thought morally wrong in your opinion?

New
Jun 20, 2016 6:58 AM

Nov 2012
What God says (aka your interpretation of God's will)? the Law? Your culture? Biology? A certain philosophical system?

Do you believe certain actions are always wrong or are there exceptions? Do you try to argue your moral beliefs as factually right and think people who disagree are wrong?

Discuss.
Jun 20, 2016 6:59 AM

Jan 2013
To what is usually believed in what is the ring thing when it comes to that particular thing, ygm?
Jun 20, 2016 7:03 AM

Nov 2008
Theorically talking :
-> What's morally right : doing good things to myself and good things to others.
-> What's morally wrong : doing bad things to myself and bad things to others.

Things are not always that easy in real life, and a world where everyone was nice would be boring. I don't ike black nor white, I like the mixture of both, I love gray. Sometimes being bad can be good, too.
Jun 20, 2016 7:21 AM
Oct 2014
I'm a consequentialist. If an act or behaviour has positive effects, then it's morally justifible. The ends justify the principle.
There are always exceptions to the rule. Anyone who can't be flexible in a world that is constantly moving will get into trouble sooner or later. Say that you believe that killing is always wrong, what will you do then if somebody is trying to kill you? Let him? Of course you should defend yourself, even if it means killing another man.

In general though, do to others what you want them to do to you. If you know what's right but don't act against what is wrong, you're a coward.
Live as you preach. Be consistent and honest.

Jun 20, 2016 8:01 AM

Nov 2015
When it starts affecting people negatively and more noticeably..
Until then one should carry on as they please, but this doesn't mean that they should do so without any thought. There are a lot of things that might hurt someone without you knowing it..
Jun 20, 2016 9:01 AM

Mar 2014
If I don't approve of it then it's wrong

It's as simple as that
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 20, 2016 9:22 AM

Jul 2013
Personally, I hold to the belief that because morality is objective in nature, it must have its ground in something that is also objective, namely God. Therefore, anything that violates God's standards, as God being the standard for good and therefore morality, would be an infraction of our moral values and duties.
Eminem meets Clannad
Just when you thought Clannad's OST was as sad as it could get ;_;

If you seen School Days, rewatch the ending while listening to A Little of Piece of Heaven by A7X. I guarantee laughs.
Jun 20, 2016 9:25 AM

May 2016
When you hurt someone it's obviously wrong. It isn't that hard to figure out. Apparently it's pretty hard for the religious nuts to though
Jun 20, 2016 9:31 AM

Jun 2016
Human acts are neutral in themselves. We've been hurting/killing each other since the first cavemen bashed each others heads in with rocks competing for food or whatever.

Morality developed out of civilizations' need to establish and maintain order. Whatever disrupts order (theft, murder, etc) is deemed immoral. Unless we want to fall back into chaos, morality means maintaining the safety and well being of the general public.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Jun 20, 2016 9:54 AM

May 2015
Freedom of choice is the most important thing to me. After that, it's reducing pain. What determines the moral value of an act is, a lot of times, how much freedom it gives people. Our freedom has limits though. The limits of our personal bodies should be extended until they start violating another's freedom.

This is a very long and complex discussion, but fascinating one.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

More topics from this board

» I got spooked by a water bottle

tsukareru - 3 hours ago

9 by Zettaiken »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - 6 hours ago

20 by Zettaiken »»
10 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - 47 minutes ago

1 by cody »»
19 minutes ago

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

28 by Zarutaku »»
24 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Apr 19

25 by Noboru »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.