Forum Settings
Forums

What anime dissapointed you this season and which one surprised you?

New
Jun 17, 2016 12:07 PM

Oct 2015
I've made a similar thread in the beginning of this season so here I am again at the end :P

Since we're nearing the end of most anime series this season, I've been wondering what anime series dissapointed you guys and which one surprised you (according to your expectations).

The anime that dissapointed me is Sousei no Onmyouji.. I don't know.. I expected more cooler fights, I guess. It's not a bad anime, but it could've been a lot better.

The anime that really suprised me is Re:Zero. I think the anime is amazing and the best of the season :D Didn't expect this quality from a parallel fantasy world anime.
Anime List Manga List
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 17, 2016 12:09 PM

Oct 2015
Disappointed: Kiznaiver. I don't think it lived up to the premise at all.

Pleasantly surprised: Uchuu Patrol Luluco. Yes, I actually think this is trigger's better anime for this season, it has trigger's "ironic" style that they had with Inferno Cop but with actual effort put into it at the same time. Good stuff really
Jun 17, 2016 12:10 PM

Nov 2015
The biggest disappointment and only one was Big Order because I expected more of it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2016 12:10 PM

Mar 2014
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri

I expected Attack on Trainwreck and got Attack on Trashwreck

AKA I expected nothing and was still let down
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 17, 2016 12:11 PM

Aug 2013
How come whn I made the exact same thread the mods locked it and said listing is not allowed ?
Jun 17, 2016 12:12 PM
Aug 2015
i fully expected Re;zero to be awesome.

Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? is somewhat dissapointing, but i don't know what i expected

Boku no Hero Academia is way awesomer than i expected. I thought its was going to be a crappy battle shounen, but its actually a good battle shounen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2016 12:12 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Mayoiga for the answer of both questions.

I never expected it would turn that bad, really surprising. But at the same time I can't stop watching it which is another surprising factor, not that it's addicting, but I'm curious how it will end

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jun 17, 2016 12:14 PM

Oct 2015
RayAdha said:

I never expected it would turn that bad, really surprising. But at the same time I can't stop watching it which is another surprising factor

I've been thinking about watching Mayoiga but it doesn't seem worth my time.. Not sure if I should watch it :P
Anime List Manga List
Jun 17, 2016 12:15 PM

Jun 2012
disappointed: Kuma miko, thought it would always be funny.

Minkey said:

The anime that dissapointed me is Sousei no Onmyouji.. I don't know.. I expected more cooler fights, I guess. It's not a bad anime, but it could've been a lot better.

Quite a contrary to my opinion, I was surprise this would run for 50 episodes, so many deviations will happen to the anime. I'm still expecting much since the manga was cool.
Jun 17, 2016 12:17 PM

May 2009
We have the exact same disappointment and surprise.

Disapointed: Sousei no Onmyouji
I tried the manga and wasn't really into it but I really liked the first episode of the anime so I thought it was going to be great. I was wrong, I ended up hating it. I just find it really boring.

Surprised: Re:Zero
I was kind of tired of this genre and I watched it with a lot of reluctance. The first episode really surprised me and each episodes after that were really great.
Jun 17, 2016 12:20 PM

Jan 2015
By far Boku no Hero Academia I was hoping I would like it but ended up loving it. The most disappointing Mayoiga I thought it had a cool premise but it felt to all over the place.
Jun 17, 2016 12:20 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Minkey said:
RayAdha said:

I never expected it would turn that bad, really surprising. But at the same time I can't stop watching it which is another surprising factor

I've been thinking about watching Mayoiga but it doesn't seem worth my time.. Not sure if I should watch it :P

Well.....a tip I can give you is don't take Mayoiga seriously if you decide to watch it. It's worth your time if you want story with..err...twists and some good laughs

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jun 17, 2016 12:27 PM

Jun 2015
Kabaneri was both surprising and disappointing.
I didn't expect it to be very good, but actually had a great start and a decent midsection, but the last two episodes have been horse shit and I'm 99% sure the next episode is gonna be a complete asspull.
Jun 17, 2016 12:29 PM

Nov 2014
Dissapointed:
-Kiznaiver, I expected to be good, after episode one I was like "okay, maybe decent" turns out it's utter garbage and keeps getting worse.

-Stray dogs, episode 1 was alright, but damn the rest of the show is just so bad in every way, was anyone working on this show even tried to do something decent.

Surprised:
-Tanaka-kun, I wasn't even planning on watching this and it turned out to be in my top 3 this season.
Re:zero, from the cover and the first episode, I was expecting it to be utter garbage, but I'm quite liking it so far.
Jun 17, 2016 12:30 PM

Jun 2016
RayAdha said:
Minkey said:

Well.....a tip I can give you is don't take Mayoiga seriously if you decide to watch it. It's worth your time if you want story with..err...twists and some good laughs

Don't do it. The only way I have been getting through it is by watching it with my friends and having a laugh, but even that was hard. The pacing is just awful, but like @RayAdha said, I'm in too deep to give up now.
Jun 17, 2016 12:31 PM

Mar 2016
Disappointed : um, mayoiga . Ok i was actually liking it first, but then it's looking like the ending will be a weak. I didn't mind some of the annoying characters though I started to tolerate some of them less and less. But the mystery reveal wasn't that good and the explanation was kind of confusing.

Surprise : Bungou Stray Dogs. A pleasure to watch . Not only enjoyable, but also a good learning experience about japanese literature . Animation is solid and the art is decent. All the like-able characters . Cool abilities and cool villain . Good characterization . Nice battles . Great OST. And most of all , Akiko is Love .
Shishou_23Jun 17, 2016 12:56 PM
Jun 17, 2016 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
Disappointed: Bungou Stray Dogs, did not like the comedy and the show felt pretty generic.

Surprising: Boku no Hero, heard lots of great things about the manga but the anime break all my expectations, pretty good.
Jun 17, 2016 12:35 PM

Jul 2015
Dissapointed: Mayoiga. Expected death scenes and gore for some strange reason and got none of that and a mediocre story.

Surprised: Sakamoto or Hundred.

Sakamoto because it turned out to be way funnier than I expected.

Hundred because I expected a bahamut clone yet it has better ecchi, characters AND story than bahamut.
Jun 17, 2016 12:36 PM
Jul 2018
Disappointed in Kiznaiver, for the same reasons many people here already mentioned. Started out with a lot of potential and then kind of.. died within the first few episodes.

Surprised: Flying Witch and Bakuon. Flying Witch just turned out to be one of those.. can't even really describe it. Somehow it surpassed other SoL purely through its presentation.

Bakuon on the other hand surprised through actually original comedy, great animation and more, while I personally thought it to be just another Dagashi Kashi Adver-Anime.
Jun 17, 2016 12:39 PM

Jul 2013
Surprised:

-Re:Zero: Never though that an anime with a key visual suggesting it would be a generic harem would turn that good. The plot is interesting and the characters are so far likeable. Hyped for more suffering in the 3rd arc.

-Mayoiga: I watching it expecting something funny. I get the best comedy of the 2016 instead.

Dissapointed:

-Koutetsujou no Kanabaneri: Not that I had many expectations on the series, but it turned quite meh. The characters are plain and unmemorable and the plot is nothing special (I expected that, however), but at least it has nice visuals.

-Sousei no Onmyouji: I expected having a decent shounen, but so far, it has been very underwhelming. Simple characters, the pacing is a total mess, the art is atrocious in some episodes and Pierrot doesn't lost time to introduce some good old filler. Really dissapointing, but I heard the manga is way better and Pierrot butchered it, so...

Middle term:

-Sakamoto desu ga?: It's funny in some parts, but really meh in others. Fortunately, the show has a heartwarning feeling in some episodes that compensates the meh parts, but I still expected a little more.
IllyricusJun 17, 2016 12:42 PM
Jun 17, 2016 12:40 PM

Dec 2015
Disappointed - Joker Game - it was just so damn boring, I couldn't even tell the characters apart.

Surprised - Flying Witch - How can an anime where next to nothing happens be so entertaining? I have no idea, but Flying Witch manages it.
Jun 17, 2016 12:44 PM
May 2015
Disappointed: Mayoiga...I just started watching it for the lolz after the 4th or 5th episode. I'll use Mayoiga as a reminder to not bring my expectations up when watching future horror anime....I don't even know if Mayoiga was intended to be a horror anime.

Surprised: Re: Zero, Kiznaiver and My Hero Academia.
- For Re: Zero, I thought at first that it was going to be yet another generic harem anime but the 1st episode completely surprised me and now that the show is at the 11th episode, Re: Zero is now my number 1 favourite anime of the season.

-For Kiznaiver, the 1st episode was meh but the 2nd episode (or was it the 3rd episode) completely hooked me because the show has one of -- if not -- the best character introductions of all time. They didn't go the boring, generic ass character introductions. Also, the relationship between Honoka and Ruru emotionally devastated me. Fuck the homophobes who opposes their relationship.

-For My Hero Academia, I avoided it because I thought it was going to be like Naruto shit but it turned out to be way better than I expected. I like cheering for the underdogs just like how I like to cheer for the underdog teams in sports *Ahem* The Raptors. I'm only on the 7th episode and so far, it's 9/10 for me.

Jun 17, 2016 12:46 PM

Mar 2008
I followed absolutely nothing this season in the end, except for Re:zero wherein I feel like I was initially one of the only people to look forward to this series.
Unsurprisingly, I quite like it (I'm still behind tho xD).

Oh I did recently watch one episode of Kiznaiver - and I really dislike the concept of this anime so uh... guess you could call it a disappointment.

Might check out Boku no Hero Academia, Flying Witch and Tanaka-kun some time later on.
Jun 17, 2016 12:47 PM

Oct 2015
Zaphkiel_El_Rem said:
disappointed: Kuma miko, thought it would always be funny.

Minkey said:

Quite a contrary to my opinion, I was surprise this would run for 50 episodes, so many deviations will happen to the anime. I'm still expecting much since the manga was cool.

It has 50 episodes?? Where did you find this information?:O

Vanessa said:
I followed absolutely nothing this season in the end, except for Re:zero wherein I feel like I was initially one of the only people to look forward to this series.
Unsurprisingly, I quite like it (I'm still behind tho xD).

Oh I did recently watch one episode of Kiznaiver - and I really dislike the concept of this anime so uh... guess you could call it a disappointment.

Might check out Boku no Hero Academia, Flying Witch and Tanaka-kun some time later on.

You should watch boku no hero, it's really cool :D
Anime List Manga List
Jun 17, 2016 12:57 PM

Oct 2014
Surprised:
- Luluco. When I started to see the referential humor I was saying "Now you're grasping for relevancy, Trigger", but last 3 episodes have been pretty cool. I'm a triggerfag so I would've enjoyed it regardless, but the whole "First love of a middle schooler" and "normalcy" was a nice theme that I thought was "just for the lulz", even though it was used for "just for the lulz".
-Jojo, because David Production is amazing.

In line:
-Flying witch is comfy as fuck, as I expected it to be. Sucks I lost interest :/ Someday, I'll come back to it.
-BnHA was average shounen, so I was always okay with it. Dropped it because Manga already told me what happened, and the adaptations was kinda slow.
I always had hopes for Netoge, and with last episode's moral about "If you need help, ask for it" and Ako's situation, it paid for me. I'm okay if they don't kiss or anything, although I admit it would be better if they would.
-Kiznaiver, because Mari Okada.

Dissapointed
-Joker Game since ep 3. I wanted more adventures from Officer-san.
-KnK, I had small hopes, since I felt they were trying to show and don't tell too much, but they kept screwing up. Action's good tho.
-Re:Zero. Wanna know which show killed my illusions for anime, light novels and general writing skills of mediocre shows, that aim for shock and impressions but are shallow as fuck? And that is the reason I look like an elitist? Take a wild guess.
-Bungou. The jokes were badly directed. Maybe the manga would be cooler.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Jun 17, 2016 12:57 PM

Apr 2010
Joker Game: The first two episodes didn't make me ready toward 3 and 4 (where I stopped) Maybe in the lest 2 episodes it changes, but... isn't it weird to watch the beginning and the end?

Ace Attorney: I didn't except in to be THAT good.

Jun 17, 2016 1:00 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well Re:Zero wasn't even on my ptw prior to this season so seeing how it became AotS it'd be a pretty obvious pick here

Biggest letdown... idk I thought Mayoiga had potential but man did it end up sucking hard. Also Boku no Hero Academia certainly hasn't lived up to the hype. Same with Kabaneri for that matter
Jun 17, 2016 1:00 PM

Aug 2015
Joker Game disappointed me. Loved the first 2 episodes and while each individual episode isn't so bad, the lack of a coherent story bothers me a lot.

Looked forward to Re:zero so much and they adapted it way better than expected.
Jun 17, 2016 1:03 PM

Nov 2013
Disappointed :Kotetsujou No Kabaneri (Cliche and idiot characters)
Surprised : Re;Zero
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jun 17, 2016 1:08 PM

Nov 2014
Mayoiga and Big Order.
They were absolutely amazing. I never thought I'd see Anime I would want to give less than a 1/10.
Jun 17, 2016 1:14 PM

Jul 2014
Honestly the ones who disappointed me the most were def kiznaiver and Koutetsujou no Kabaneri.... the one who surprised was prob re:zero, i was expecting it to be interesting but not as enjoyable as it is being till now
Jun 17, 2016 1:14 PM

Dec 2015
Mayoiga disappointed me on the mystery aspect but blew away my expectations when it came to comedy.

Then Re:Zero is much better than I ever thought it would be.

Jun 17, 2016 1:17 PM

May 2015
Re:Zero improved over my initial expectations. Joker Game heavily disappointed.
-Rainy-Jun 17, 2016 6:11 PM
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 17, 2016 1:19 PM

Jul 2015
Big Order without doubting.

I'm a Mirai Nikki fan, for me it was one of the most entertaining anime out there and made me start watching anime as a whole, coming from the same author, I expected another anime that might have weak points, but still be a wild ride of pure fun.

But... uhhh, I watch anime on my bed because it's more comfortable, and I fell asleep 2 times while Big Order, that never happens with other anime, I promise.

There is no Yuno to spice things up, the characters are all so lame, everything is so uninteresting, it's just so boring, I expected a lot more but it didn't deliver at all.

My second pick for disappointment would be Joker Game, but I dropped it quite early to have a complete opinion, at first it was one of the anime that hyped me the most, but the episodic format and characters I couldn't care about (well, that makes sense, I suppose that is the point of the way they were trained) just didn't hook me at all.

For surprises, I have a tie between Re:Zero and Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge, I didn't expect anything at all from them, but damn they are good, the first one would be easily in my top 10 of favourite anime for now, and Tanaka it's one of my favourite comedies for sure, tied with Nisekoi and D-Frag and only behind Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and KonoSuba.
MetaThPr4hJun 17, 2016 1:37 PM
Jun 17, 2016 1:23 PM
Aug 2014
Ah, easy to pick. All right , so, I'm gonna go with :-

Disappointed : Kabaneri
I'm absolutely disappointed with this show. I thought it would be good but it has waaay too many inconsistencies for me to be happy with it. It is still enjoyable but I have to stop thinking to enjoy it.

Surprised : ReZero
A genre that is very common now a days. I expect it to be good. However...I didn't think it would be THIS good. It is absolutely great. Definitely my anime of the season. The OST is amazing, the story is interesting and keeps me curious, the characters are great. Subaru is best boy. So, I'm expecting more great things. I'm VERY happy that this is a 24-25 episode series.
Jun 17, 2016 1:26 PM

Sep 2015
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri disappointed me the most this season. The only thing it has going for it is an intriguing premise and great visuals. Aside from that, there's just a ton of little issues every single episode that just make me sigh at all the wasted potential. It could have been so much better, but at this point I'm not really expecting it to redeem itsellf much. It's good for eyecandy but that's about it. I especially cannot stand Mumei and her personality changes.

The ones which have surprised me are Flying Witch and Tanaka-kun. I didn't really find them interesting at all by their premise, and if not for the fact that I force myself to pick up most seasonals I wouldn't have watched these at all. But they've both turned out to be great, numbering among my favourites of the current season. Tanaka is far funnier than I expected it to be, and it just has a great cast. I've loved all of the characters introduced and the interactions between them all are great.

Flying Witch makes me feel somewhat remniscient of Non Non Biyori; it has that same peaceful air to it. I find myself hooked with each episode, despite the fact that nothing really happens. It's been a pleasure to watch each week. It's as the same with Tanaka-kum : the characters are solid and their interactions are great. The imouto is definitely the highlight.

Whilst I can't say I'm as surprised at ReZero - I didn't have any thoughts on it at all prior to picking it up like I have with the aforementioned series - it's became my #1 favourite of the season, blowing everything else away. White Fox have outdone themselves adapting it.
MazJun 17, 2016 1:33 PM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 17, 2016 1:29 PM

Oct 2012
Sousei no Onmyouji disappointed me. I expected better animation and a lot better story from the author. Maybe it was the studio's fault?
Big Order also managed to disappoint me even if I expected nothing good out of it.

Tanaka-kun and Boku no Hero surprised me a lot, especially Tanaka. Never thought I would enjoy it that much.
Jun 17, 2016 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
Disappointment:

Bungou Stray Dogs, I felt like most of the comedic sequences fell short and it trailed of the main storyline too much

Surprises:

Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - Last Song, I did like the first season but I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this one and the subjects it viewed on

Flying Witch, really nice slice-of-life, I liked how the jokes are well formatted and the soothing soundtrack
Jun 17, 2016 1:35 PM
Jun 2016
Dissapointed:Big Order

Surprised:Re:Zero
Jun 17, 2016 1:37 PM

Jul 2015
disappointed:
-Joker Game (because of the episodic bullshit)
-Kabaneri (doesnt even come close to AoT)

suprised positively:
-Flying Witch (amazing calm beautiful)
(-Re:Zero (didnt really suprised me because i didnt expect anything but its really good)
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Jun 17, 2016 1:38 PM

Apr 2015
Disappointment: Joker Game - This one looked like such a cool noir/espionage/thriller/psychological show but turned out really boring. Great at first but then I slowly lost interest.

Surprise: Kuromukuro - Flying Witch was also a bit of a dark horse but this one REALLY surprised me. I expected it to suck because PA Works + CGI + schools + samurai MC but it's actually decent. The action scenes have great choreography and the samurai guy is actually pretty interesting. Not amazing but still a nice little treat.
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Jun 17, 2016 1:38 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
honestly as much as i enjoying watching it..... Big Order makes no fucking sense.... lol
but being me, im not gonna be like OMFG TRASH ANIME, blah blah, that shit... its just more like.. welp... w/e lol

gonna have to jump on the train and say Re:Zero wasn't what i expected and i honestly find it amazing, i honestly believe it deserves its high 8 score..... but still, not gonna "meatride" lol

i find it strange though how ALMOST NO ONE offline talks about it... all i hear from ppl is boku no hero and kabaneri. i feel like your average anime watcher is probably turned away by the moe, so they overlook it
Jun 17, 2016 1:47 PM

Sep 2015
Mayoiga and Bungou Stray Dogs are my two disappointments for spring. Mayoiga's synopsis sounded really cool when I first read it but the execution of the whole story was pretty abysmal. I thought Bungou Stray Dogs would have been a bit darker, I still like it but at the same time am a bit let down.

Re:ZERO ended up being the best surprise. Going into it I didn't have much expectations but having watched every episode since, it has really blown me away. Everything about it has got me hooked,

even the insufferable cliffhangers!

Anne-Happy and Haifuri are two that have become favorites for me. I love the premise of Anne-Happy and I think it makes for a great SoL comedy and Haifuri is just plain too adorable.
Jun 17, 2016 1:47 PM

Jul 2009
Disappointed: Mayoiga, Kiznaiver, and Koutetsujou no Kabaneri.

Surprised: Shounen Maid. Way cuter than I was expecting it to be.
Jun 17, 2016 1:56 PM
May 2010
My biggest disappointment gotta be Kotetsujo no Kabaneri, I expected an anime with great action with at least a good story, but while the action is great at the start it became bad as it goes on and the story is, well, bad.

For surprise of the season is gotta be Kuromukuro and Bakuon, never expected gonna have fun watching those 2, especially Bakuon, despite its flaws I have a good laugh watching it
Jun 17, 2016 1:57 PM

Sep 2011
Disappointment implies I watched 2 episodes and thought they were good then it went downhill. Surprised implies I went into it expecting mediocrity and got a great show instead. As such the shows are as follows (they are ordered):

Disappointment Awards

1) Kotetsujou no Kabaneri
I expected Attack on Titan with trains, but instead I got mediocre writing with horrible voice acting. Almost everything about this show outside of the art disappointed me. This show is at the top solely because of the disappointing work considering the production staff.

2) Kiznaiver
I read the synopsis and saw that Trigger was doing the animation and got extremely excited. I was extremely let down by the writing and general direction. To the show's credit it had two extremely powerful moments for me - without giving spoilers, the first involves a scene with an organ and the second involves a scene with some rocking chairs. Outside of those two moments I just feel underwhelmed every week.

3) Ace Attorney
I was excited to see how faithful they were to the games. Unfortunately they were a little too faithful. To sum up all of my disappointment for this show, they are constantly telling a guy who passed the bar exam to look for evidence and contradictions. This might work for a video game where the player is in control, but it definitely does not work in a non-interactive format.

Surprised Awards

1) Re:Zero
I expected another generic "sent to another world" piece of trash following the disaster that was Konosuba from last season (though I did like the MC), but Re:Zero took a more serious approach. The writing and pacing is far superior to any other show like it, though as you would expect with time travel there are plenty of plot holes and lapses in writing. The show is far from amazing, but it is a great mystery series that I actually spend time trying to solve every week.

2) Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
Almost everything about this show is exceptional. The art is simplistic yet expressive, the characters all have personality (though they are somewhat shallow), and the pacing is fantastic. This show knows what it wants to do and executes it flawlessly. It is a great show to just sit down and watch if you go with its flow. The slower pacing can definitely turn people off, but the show itself is all about listlessness and taking things slow. While it is under Re:Zero for the shows that surprised me the most this show is my anime of the season.

3) Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?
Expected garbage. Got something with decent writing and women with realistic personalities. The fan service is all very tasteful and used properly, not just to give viewers a boner but to give them a good laugh (the scene at Ako's house in episode 5(?) was a prime example of how fan service can be used correctly). The show isn't anything fantastic, but it was a pleasant surprise and something I actually enjoy watching every week.

Anime of the Season

1) Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
See above.

2) Boku no Hero Academia
A nice action show that was surprisingly emotional for me for the first few episodes. The quality of the writing as somewhat slipped in the last few episodes, but I'm willing to forgive it due to the overall strength of the series and because there are really no other good shows this season.

3) Re:Zero
This show is here because, like I just said, there are really no other good shows this season. Re:Zero just beats out the other remaining shows since I actually look forward to watching it every week despite some major flaws.

---

Big Order did not disappoint me because I could tell it would be horrible at the end of the first episode. Boku no Hero Academia is not listed as a surprise because I went into it expecting it to be good. It has sort of dropped off in the more recent episodes but it is still overall good, therefore it isn't "surprising".

Overall this season has been extremely disappointing. Of over 650 series I have only dropped 16, and 3 of them are from this season alone.
Jun 17, 2016 2:01 PM

Apr 2014
Surprised:
Tanaka-kun: Expected nothing and got so much in return. I don't think there's any other series this season that put a smile on my face as easy as Tanaka-kun does. The chemistry between the characters is excellent.
Luluco: Expected another quirky, low budget short from Trigger, and that's kinda what it is, but it's also very amusing with great, zany action and a few heartwarming moments. It was also great so see all the cameos from the other Trigger shows again.

Disappointed:
I found the season to be weak overall so a lot of titles I started ended up being less exiting than I imagined. The biggest offender was Kiznaiver because it showed enough potential at first with its interesting premise but ended up being a mess with characters all suffering from some kind of unrequited love that doesn't feel natural and melodrama so thick you could cut it with a knife. I rank episode 9 among the worst episodes of the season and that includes the ones from Mayoiga and Big Order.
Jun 17, 2016 2:06 PM

Oct 2015
Shirasho said:
Disappointment implies I watched 2 episodes and thought they were good then it went downhill. Surprised implies I went into it expecting mediocrity and got a great show instead. As such the shows are as follows (they are ordered):

Disappointment Awards

1) Kotetsujou no Kabaneri
I expected Attack on Titan with trains, but instead I got mediocre writing with horrible voice acting. Almost everything about this show outside of the art disappointed me. This show is at the top solely because of the disappointing work considering the production staff.

2) Kiznaiver
I read the synopsis and saw that Trigger was doing the animation and got extremely excited. I was extremely let down by the writing and general direction. To the show's credit it had two extremely powerful moments for me - without giving spoilers, the first involves a scene with an organ and the second involves a scene with some rocking chairs. Outside of those two moments I just feel underwhelmed every week.

3) Ace Attorney
I was excited to see how faithful they were to the games. Unfortunately they were a little too faithful. To sum up all of my disappointment for this show, they are constantly telling a guy who passed the bar exam to look for evidence and contradictions. This might work for a video game where the player is in control, but it definitely does not work in a non-interactive format.

Surprised Awards

1) Re:Zero
I expected another generic "sent to another world" piece of trash following the disaster that was Konosuba from last season (though I did like the MC), but Re:Zero took a more serious approach. The writing and pacing is far superior to any other show like it, though as you would expect with time travel there are plenty of plot holes and lapses in writing. The show is far from amazing, but it is a great mystery series that I actually spend time trying to solve every week.

2) Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
Almost everything about this show is exceptional. The art is simplistic yet expressive, the characters all have personality (though they are somewhat shallow), and the pacing is fantastic. This show knows what it wants to do and executes it flawlessly. It is a great show to just sit down and watch if you go with its flow. The slower pacing can definitely turn people off, but the show itself is all about listlessness and taking things slow. While it is under Re:Zero for the shows that surprised me the most this show is my anime of the season.

3) Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?
Expected garbage. Got something with decent writing and women with realistic personalities. The fan service is all very tasteful and used properly, not just to give viewers a boner but to give them a good laugh (the scene at Ako's house in episode 5(?) was a prime example of how fan service can be used correctly). The show isn't anything fantastic, but it was a pleasant surprise and something I actually enjoy watching every week.

Anime of the Season

1) Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
See above.

2) Boku no Hero Academia
A nice action show that was surprisingly emotional for me for the first few episodes. The quality of the writing as somewhat slipped in the last few episodes, but I'm willing to forgive it due to the overall strength of the series and because there are really no other good shows this season.

3) Re:Zero
This show is here because, like I just said, there are really no other good shows this season. Re:Zero just beats out the other remaining shows since I actually look forward to watching it every week despite some major flaws.

---

Big Order did not disappoint me because I could tell it would be horrible at the end of the first episode. Boku no Hero Academia is not listed as a surprise because I went into it expecting it to be good. It has sort of dropped off in the more recent episodes but it is still overall good, therefore it isn't "surprising".

Overall this season has been extremely disappointing. Of over 650 series I have only dropped 16, and 3 of them are from this season alone.

Wow thanks for the write up. I have to agree with you that this season is a little dissapointing. Every first episode got me hyped but a lot of the series got worse after the first one :(
Anime List Manga List
Jun 17, 2016 2:09 PM

Oct 2014
Disappointed: High School Fleet. The first few episodes made it look like it would be really interesting and well written, but somewhere in there the plot flattened out. More time seems to be focused on animals chasing each other and girls in swimsuits than the actual ship battles.

Surprised: Sansha Sanyou. I had doubts about this at first as it seemed like a pretty generic moe anime, but it actually is pretty good. The humour is quite well done and although the characters seemed like standard archetypes at the beginning they've actually proven to be some of the most interesting characters of the season.
Jun 17, 2016 2:12 PM

Sep 2014
Kiznaiver and Endride dissapointed me a lot

The one that surprised me the most are the most underrated of the season.

Mayoiga. I expected some pointless gory thriller and silly deaths. Instead we have an actual story with constructive mysteries and a lot of meme.

Kuromukuro. Finally a great anime which contains both likeable characters and a good plot. Good action scenes, good slice of life scnes, good scenery, good character interactions, good twist, good OST, good character development. Everything is good about this anime. The last time a good anime like this one popped out was in 2014 with Shirobako.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

196 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

18 by Subarctic-Forest »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
16 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

14 by traed »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

62 by delirific »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.