Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 16, 2016 3:43 PM
Aug 2014
Just a simple a question ! :) If you can justify why in addition it would be great ! What do you think of him? Do you like him, does all suffering he faced, all things he did, the way he was created and his story managed to have your affection?
Sorry for my english if it's a little bad !
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 16, 2016 3:46 PM

Jan 2013
lol at the first poll option.

He's one of the better "new anime" MCs. Usually, animes with this kind of setting have that same and boring main character who does exactly that thing which you just predicted in your mind. Subaru obviously doesnt fall in this lump, as he has shown great development and he's adapted to the happenings in the anime, which is pretty great. In other words, he's a good character, but far from "the best".
Jun 16, 2016 3:56 PM
Aug 2014
The first option is here because i had to give every choices but I agree with what you said :) !
Jun 16, 2016 4:53 PM

Apr 2015
I might be biased because I know his development over the course of 6 arcs, so to me he is one of the better ones and certainly one of my favorites and most relatable ones.

The thing is, for anime only it might be better to wait until arc 3 is done/almost done. The majority of his development in this season will result from there. Right now we basically have "prepared" Subaru who is ready to start into the actual story. Who he is after the majority of arc 3 is far more important :)
Jun 16, 2016 6:22 PM

Sep 2011
At least he has a personality and feels like an individual. I remember him saying "WTF are you talking about? My family's been secular for generations"

It really dawned to me that this kid is from Japan and his family has been there for quite a long time.

Among Anime Protagonists thought he's a FUCKING GOD. I haven't liked a Protag this much in at least a few seasons.
GodlyKyonJun 16, 2016 6:47 PM
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jun 16, 2016 7:12 PM

Oct 2014
he is a boring harem mc that does anything to defend his harem
Jun 16, 2016 7:40 PM

Mar 2010
A proper human character in my books. One that doesn't always make right decisions, suffers from his fair share of hubris, can be even be annoying sometimes. And yet he's surprising courageous, very clever, quite insightful, capable of inspiring others and usually comes through when needed the most.

He's few examples of a well balanced MC relative his strengths and flaws which makes him pretty likable to most people like myself.
Jun 16, 2016 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
He's to wake up.
Jun 16, 2016 9:36 PM

Feb 2010
Just okay, sometimes seems stupid but ok.

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jun 16, 2016 9:40 PM
Jul 2015
my favorite character along with okabe rintarou

Jun 16, 2016 9:53 PM
Jul 2018
Okay but pretty stupid at times, and the latter becomes more prominent at the start of the third arc. I am waiting for the reaction from people then. XD
Jun 16, 2016 10:19 PM

Aug 2015
gabrielrroiz said:

You really don't hesitate to jump in at any occasion possible to say such inaccurate things, do you? It's almost like you're waiting here 24/7, scanning all threads for a chance to do so.
"Vaut mieux se suffire à soi que finir assoiffé dans le monde des apparences."

Jun 17, 2016 4:00 AM

Apr 2015
strider98 said:
Okay but pretty stupid at times, and the latter becomes more prominent at the start of the third arc. I am waiting for the reaction from people then. XD

It won't nearly as bad as you describe it. He has his reasons and they somewhat justify what and why he does it. Besides he is supposed to be humane and humans do mistakes.
Jun 17, 2016 4:01 AM
Jul 2018
Fappa said:
strider98 said:

It won't nearly as bad as you describe it. He has his reasons and they somewhat justify what and why he does it. Besides he is supposed to be humane and humans do mistakes.

I am perfectly fine with his reasons later on, but it will be nice to see the forums then. ;)
Jun 17, 2016 4:24 AM

Sep 2015
Honestly?I don't like him till now,he's very naive and indeed for me is the weak point of the show.
Jun 17, 2016 4:31 AM

Dec 2012
I think he is a good character. There are some hiccups in his development in the second arc. But when you look at it as a whole instead of a specific event, it's not that bad. He is quite likeable except for when he gets hyper talktive and genki which annoys me slightly.

When it comes to LN anime, he is definitely one of the greatest ones.
Jun 17, 2016 5:19 AM

Apr 2016
same here, sometimes the way he speaks and acts is "too much" and also feels "forced", which is a flaw. Sometimes I doubt about the quality of the writting because of that. Some paternalist tones in his speach are a real flaw too.

On the other hand, he's not really stupid (thank you oh lord), his empathy gets through and his strongest point : I love his humor and the fact that other characters make fun of him too. (which is why I still think the writting is good)

I like him ... so far. Reading some comments here, I hope they won't play the "let make the MC really dumb for more drama" card. That's something that killed many shows in my view.
Ysad_ZiwezhanJun 17, 2016 5:30 AM
Jun 17, 2016 6:35 AM

Dec 2012
I personally like his character very much,Hes much better then the recent anime protagonists who are absolutely pathetic (Yes kirito and rito people like you).

His character seems realistic , Can fight , make you laugh and overall is relatable,The anime also makes you sympathise with subaru, Overall Hes an excellent MC.

"They say that if you change yourself, you'll change the world, but that's a complete lie. They're just forcing you to compromise by feeding you a convenient little fib. Let me show you how to really change the world." -Hikigaya Hachiman

Jun 17, 2016 7:04 AM

May 2016
Pretty much just an Okay character for me, i have no feeling for him(for the entire casts to be exact)
His chuuni looks like poor imitation of Okabe, whatever.
Jun 17, 2016 7:23 AM

Sep 2015
He's good. His character can get on my nerves at times, he's pretty stupid and reckless but he's much better than a lot of MC's and I feel myself rooting for him when it comes down to it.
Plus, that scene at the end of episode 7 made me respect him as a character.
Jun 17, 2016 7:59 AM

May 2016
ColdBreeze said:
Kofrine said:
His chuuni looks like poor imitation of Okabe, whatever.
I don't think Subaru is a chuuni and whatever it was was only there for the first couple of episodes.
i meant his genki attitude, it has reason behind it but doesn't make it less cringe-worthy.
Jun 17, 2016 8:03 AM
Jul 2018
machixmachi said:
my favorite character along with okabe rintarou

Hope people are aware that he's not Okabe, thou. Okabe is truly delusional. The show then gives in what he wants - in the real world... Subaru appears delusional, but in the fantasy world. What he does is treat it lightly, like it's not truly real and shouldn't be taken seriously. (And he's not wrong by doing so - just imagine the insanity of believing at first sight that a fantasy world was truly real.) It's if he were to do this in the real world, that he'd be an actual, delusional person. This'd equal him to Okabe, then.

But like I said, (as crazy as it maybe be) he should wake up and start taking what's around him more seriously... Because yeah, it's real.

Before Subaru went to another world, he was 100% a real person. It could be him as a drawing, or someone as an actor, that it'd make no difference. But then it happened... He became fictional, then. (Opposed to facts.)
Jun 17, 2016 8:13 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I think he's pretty interesting with the whole façade of fake energy he has in order to desperately try to protect his weaker true self. That and also he is willing to go to extreme lengths to protect the things he cares for, even literally throwing away his own life despite knowing first-hand how scary death is

Not the best MC ever by any means but certainly well above average. He can be a bit overwhelming at times admittedly but it's all for a good reason so it's fine
Jun 17, 2016 9:02 AM
Apr 2016
he's hot and so is reinhardt and that's all that matters, stop being jealous of him boys just because you're ugly
Jun 17, 2016 9:54 AM
Jul 2018
HaXXspetten said:
[b]I think he's pretty interesting with the whole façade of fake energy he has in order to desperately try to protect his weaker true self. That and also he is willing to go to extreme lengths to protect the things he cares for, even literally throwing away his own life despite knowing first-hand how scary death is

Not the best MC ever by any means but certainly well above average. He can be a bit overwhelming at times admittedly but it's all for a good reason so it's fine

Most of the time where he was shown joyous, he was truly. Other times, he was simply, not succumbing to his bad experiences (still same). Not letting them affect him enough. To not ruin the wonderful experiences he's having in this new life, with the residents. It's when he's not with the others, that he focuses on them - on his planning to take care of them. But then it all became unbearable, and he became too stressed. He broke down in Emilia's lap. After when he became paranoid about being killed again - now knowing that the maids, especially Rem, were the ones responsible. (Coupled with him having no leads.) Before, he had little reason to feel so stressed, as the residents were all innocent in his eyes. (Think about positive experiences counterbalancing negative ones.) But in that specific episode, Subaru couldn't be shown to feel comfortable near them anymore. It was a different situation where his killer was always close to him. (Important to note that before he became paranoid, he was shown to lose confidence in fighting the shaman, after having learned about the Shamak spell. While even before that, he was shown to be confident about defeating him - in the planning he was doing, by himself while working.)

When Rem showed herself as his killer, he became totally surprised - and later, said to have found it hard to believe in 'how little faith' they had in him. At the time, he was unaware of their tragic past. And his connection to it... So it was only reasonable for a person like him to not want to believe they'd go as far as killing him, only for a suspicion about the King's disappearance coinciding with his arrival. (Which someone like him would understand very little about the gravity of it.)

So yeah I felt it to be necessary to the specify more. It wasn't that simple. Taking it as such would (to me) do injustice to Subaru and the show itself... Anyway.

Uh, so he wasn't forcing a good front, without support - the others were there beside him - and were of great, positive effect to his morale. If not by them, he'd not endure so much. But when one of them became negative (Rem), he broke. Meaning that his enjoyment wasn't not completely false. He's good reasons to believe that what's around him offers him more good, than bad. He then kept faithful.
Jun 17, 2016 10:24 AM

Aug 2014
To me, he comes across as an annoying little brat. Whenever he talks, it pains my ears. His lines are retarded and he ruins the atmosphere.
I can't get myself to like him. Obviously the weak point of this show.
Jun 17, 2016 11:28 AM

Mar 2010
Kofrine said:
ColdBreeze said:
I don't think Subaru is a chuuni and whatever it was was only there for the first couple of episodes.
i meant his genki attitude, it has reason behind it but doesn't make it less cringe-worthy.

Nothing wrong with having an earnest out-going attitude. If anything I find pretty necessary someone in his position. It's part of reason why Rem was eventually won over. It's much more preferable to sterilized robots like Inhalo or bland clueless dimwitts like Haruto IMO. And latest series of episodes has shown that he's plenty capable being serous when needs to so it's not as if he has one range of emotion. He just prefers to think and act positively.
Iron_MawJun 17, 2016 11:32 AM
Jun 17, 2016 11:51 AM

Feb 2016
He's a pretty okay MC, and he doesn't give me this generic/cheesy feeling whenever I see him. His character has developed a lot and it's more than obvious. I wouldn't call him my favorite character, but he's definitely one of the better MCs of this season. He might be reckless and stupid at times (which is literally part of his personality), but I've come to respect him as an individual a character.
Jun 17, 2016 3:10 PM

Jan 2011
He's there. Can't really say much past that. He seems like a well meaning kid who was pretty to himself. He was thrown into a parallel world and received it quite well. He holds up considering even being murdered doesn't free him from this world as well as the simple idea of being murdered himself. They try to show that he has his BSOD at the onset and not just the end and sometimes it's believable but mostly it gets overshadowed by his adoration for Emilia. Granted he has been shown as capable for caring for other characters too but that doesn't put much between him and the LN guys, if anything that only reminds me of the whole bit. I'm hoping with no knowledge of what's to come he wil be forced to make and own up to decisions (particularly the selfish ones) he's made without getting too angsty, but he was otherwise a normal guy before all of this so angst is justified.
Jun 17, 2016 8:00 PM

May 2016
Jagd84 said:
Kofrine said:

Nothing wrong with having an earnest out-going attitude. If anything I find pretty necessary someone in his position. It's part of reason why Rem was eventually won over. It's much more preferable to sterilized robots like Inhalo or bland clueless dimwitts like Haruto IMO. And latest series of episodes has shown that he's plenty capable being serous when needs to so it's not as if he has one range of emotion. He just prefers to think and act positively.
That's why i said there's reason behind it but doesn't make it less cringe-worthy,

If i have reason to kill someone, it doesn't make me less criminal.
Jun 17, 2016 9:51 PM
Nov 2010
For a male, he talks too much.
Jun 17, 2016 10:31 PM

Jun 2013
He's okay. His individual qualities are neither this series's weakness nor its strength and I don't expect to remember him individually after the series ends. The important thing is that he's likable and somewhat clever about how he handles situations which makes it enjoyable to root for him. His characterization isn't particularly deep at this point though.
Jun 18, 2016 3:36 AM
May 2016
Sakata Gintoki from Gintama is the best Character of all Fiction
Jun 18, 2016 7:39 AM

Jul 2014
he's okay "as for now " he's nothing special and i don't like how he dead with things some times
but he's okay , let hope he get better later
Jun 18, 2016 7:43 AM

Jun 2012
Tony_SansNom said:
gabrielrroiz said:

You really don't hesitate to jump in at any occasion possible to say such inaccurate things, do you? It's almost like you're waiting here 24/7, scanning all threads for a chance to do so.
So, he doesn't do that?
Jun 18, 2016 9:10 AM

Mar 2010
Caesar said:
Tony_SansNom said:

So, he doesn't do that?

There is no harem to protect, so no.
Jun 18, 2016 9:54 AM

Nov 2011
Okabe done wrong. Talks too much, boring lines. Idiot, can't figure out time travel. Emo as fuck despite being pretty much immortal still scared of death. Goes emo after realizing he repeated a mere 5 or 4 days. One of the worse mc I've seen. I guess he appeals to edgy fans. Realistic? lol!
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Jun 18, 2016 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
ernst said:
Okabe done wrong. Talks too much, boring lines. Idiot, can't figure out time travel. Emo as fuck despite being pretty much immortal still scared of death. Goes emo after realizing he repeated a mere 5 or 4 days. One of the worse mc I've seen. I guess he appeals to edgy fans. Realistic? lol!

Everything about him makes sense. 'Can't figure out time travel'. He can. Always could. It was disbelief. 'Emo'? He wasn't raised in a violent environment. He didn't have to toughen himself adapting. But some said he will, later in the series, in his development. So you're wrong for wanting to take him as someone he's yet not.

Okabe before was an embarrassment. He shone when authors gave him the time-travel. But this wouldn't happen in reality. He'd be forever an embarrasment, then. Or until he woke up.

Nothing substantial here. Just stupid rants.
Jun 18, 2016 11:16 AM

Mar 2011
One of the worst for me,

As much as realistic guy he is, I just don't like his personality at all; makes me want to puke sometimes. Could you stop shouting random crap please?

Story wise he is great at making it progress and also has good character development. But his personality/attitude is someone I won't ever get along with.

I mean its so bad that I laugh every-time I see him get killed. But he is mentally strong to do what he does.
Jun 18, 2016 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
Subaru would likely be someone I'd enjoy being friends with... as my opposite.
Jun 18, 2016 12:17 PM
Jul 2018
Tighten a screw of his head and it will be fine. But the thing is that happens too late imo.
Jun 18, 2016 4:28 PM

Mar 2015
He's good and bad at times, so I vote okay. He has his moments of awesome (leap of life and death) and moments of stupid (wannabe hero syndrome). Either way, he's funny, and I don't dislike him at all.
Jun 18, 2016 4:31 PM

Jan 2013
I love him.
I quite love the way his character has developed, and how it keeps developing.
In my opinion he's one of the best in the last couple of seasons.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 19, 2016 1:20 AM

Nov 2011
iRels said:
ernst said:

Everything about him makes sense. 'Can't figure out time travel'. He can. Always could. It was disbelief. 'Emo'? He wasn't raised in a violent environment. He didn't have to toughen himself adapting. But some said he will, later in the series, in his development. So you're wrong for wanting to take him as someone he's yet not.

Okabe before was an embarrassment. He shone when authors gave him the time-travel. But this wouldn't happen in reality. He'd be forever an embarrasment, then. Or until he woke up.

disbelief? When he instanly believed he's in a parallel world and expected magic. Okabe is smart and does not have overly long boring talks. Far from Subaru embarassment character.
Yeah nothing substantial, yeah rants lol. Truth hurts eh?
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Jun 19, 2016 2:37 AM
Jul 2018
ernst said:
iRels said:

disbelief? When he instanly believed he's in a parallel world and expected magic. Okabe is smart and does not have overly long boring talks. Far from Subaru embarassment character.
Yeah nothing substantial, yeah rants lol. Truth hurts eh?

He's expected magic, but not to be killed repeteatedly. It was already said how naive he was. But he'll develop as this story's long.

Okabe's the embarrasment. If you'd meet him in real life you'd want to keep distance from. If more were aware of his condition, they'd recommend him psychological treatment. But he's evasive, so.

No truths. You lack needed comprehension to see them. And Okabe's a different person. He's flaws, too. And from what I remember, he had many colleagues supporting him. While Subaru's by himself, for the most part. It's a much greater challenge here.

I don't mind Subaru's talk. He sees them as needed. And it's always been proven effective. He's people to persuade. Okabe had it easy.
Jun 19, 2016 5:38 AM

Mar 2010
strider98 said:
Tighten a screw of his head and it will be fine. But the thing is that happens too late imo.

What are you talking about? Character development never happens too late. In fact a good character grows throughout every moment of his journey while learning from his experiences and actions, both good and bad. He does not start out awesome and remain static or merely develops from one event then stops. That's why characters like Mikasa from AOT become dull overtime, they never show reaction to anything beyond they singleminded purpose nor ever falter. Besides even within the anime we are still beginning stages of story, and Subaru has yet experience this world for first time.
Iron_MawJun 19, 2016 5:50 AM
Jun 19, 2016 6:22 AM
Jul 2018
Jagd84 said:
strider98 said:

What are you talking about? Character development never happens too late. In fact a good character grows throughout every moment of his journey while learning from his experiences and actions, both good and bad. He does not start out awesome and remain static or merely develops from one event then stops. That's why characters like Mikasa from AOT become dull overtime, they never show reaction to anything beyond they singleminded purpose nor ever falter. Besides even within the anime we are still beginning stages of story, and Subaru has yet experience this world for first time.

I said that keeping in mind a particular event in next few
removed-userJun 19, 2016 7:04 AM
Jun 19, 2016 6:59 AM

Mar 2010
@strider98

You should spoiler tag that post because your hinting at stuff.

Iron_MawJun 19, 2016 7:31 AM
Jun 19, 2016 7:06 AM
Jul 2015
For me he isn't dumb lol.

@Jagd84: totally agree
DirtyOldGuyJun 19, 2016 7:13 AM

Jun 19, 2016 7:08 AM

Mar 2010
@machixmachi

You spoiler tag your post too. =/
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2016

631 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

715 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 18, 1:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.