Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 15, 2016 3:55 PM
Sep 2015
Never saw the anime, heard much about it (maybe too much and maybe that's why I never saw it), but for some reason now I want to know about this Haruhi thing. The novels are supposedly better so... is it a great loss if I read them and don't watch the anime? Is it woth doing both? Only anime? (of course with only anime option comes continuing the novels where the anime left) Enlighten me, please.
Raito_LawlietJun 15, 2016 5:38 PM
Jun 17, 2016 7:58 AM

Feb 2013
read the manga maybe. I don't know about the novel, but the anime is almost faithfully following the novel, while the manga pick up the rest until the current novel.

Well, if it is up to me, i will advice you to watch the anime, read the manga, as both is the easiest to get hold, and not to much taking time than reading the whole novel series to get the main idea. As the anime would get you interested, you would be motivated to read the other media.
"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon."
Jun 17, 2016 9:11 AM

Nov 2008
The advantage of the first seaon of the anime, is that it doesn't follow a linear narration but mixes the chronology of the events. It end up being a puzzle where you have to stick up the piece.
The novel is more linear, which makes it a bit more boring than the anime but it has more character development.
I would say that you should start with the anime.
Jun 18, 2016 12:43 AM
Sep 2015
So, do you think the best thing to do is watch the anime and follow the rest of the story reading the novels?
Jun 18, 2016 1:01 AM

Jun 2012
Raito_Lawliet said:
So, do you think the best thing to do is watch the anime and follow the rest of the story reading the novels?

yeah, it would be.

Don't even bother the manga, its not worth it.
Jun 18, 2016 3:35 AM

Nov 2008
Raito_Lawliet said:
Definitevely.
But still even though you've watched the first season, read the first novel of the saga, it would give you more information.
Jun 18, 2016 10:03 AM
Sep 2015
Ok, thank you all for your answers
HooHiraiBunny said:
Raito_Lawliet said:
Definitevely.
But still even though you've watched the first season, read the first novel of the saga, it would give you more information.

If I l really like something I always try to get the more information the better, I was just asking because If I don't like it much or find it "meh", I don't think I'll feel like reading the same part in the novels.

Edit: first time writing in the forums, do you know why my avatar is not displayed? I've tried 2 differents pics.

More topics from this board

» Intuition Thoughts/Opinions

Sosbrigade_123 - Jun 24, 2021

6 by anizawa89 »»
Jan 21, 11:25 AM

» New Haruhi novel announced

Pitto_ - Sep 24, 2023

15 by amare135 »»
Nov 13, 2023 12:16 PM

» Can I mark this series complete after Intuition?

ProsjektAero - Jun 2, 2023

5 by abystoma2 »»
Sep 2, 2023 11:51 AM

Poll: » Best light novel in the series?

EnduringInsanity - Apr 24, 2013

11 by removed-user »»
Mar 14, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Suzumiya Haruhi Series Chapter 41 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Feb 20, 2023

1 by AnimeIsWrong »»
Feb 25, 2023 11:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.