Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people like dark and depressing shows?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 17, 2016 6:13 AM
Jul 2018
Hmmm I wouldn't know. I mean I love dark,psychological and tragic anime myself though they don't depress me at all o v o
I think these kind of anime show life in a realistic way,or just the harsh realities of life. It depends on people to get depressed. Plus no one can watch such stuff in a spree and they are bound to watch some light anime now and then.
Some people watch those psychological shows like Psycho-Pass,Ergo Proxy,Darker than Black as a sign of their maturity. I mean violence and gore aside,these anime do tackle issues of human psyche in a great way and leave one to question themselves

I just spouted a load of bullshit there,sorry
Jun 17, 2016 7:13 AM

May 2014
'cause all teh grownups watch dark/edgy seinen stuff. Lighthearted shounen/shoujo is for kindergarten kids.

Jun 17, 2016 7:44 AM
Apr 2015
Because people are dark and depressing
Jun 17, 2016 7:54 AM

May 2016
'cause i'm edgy and i want edgy stuff, dont come near me or you'll get cut.
Jun 17, 2016 7:55 AM

Oct 2013
DPP21 said:
The name says it all, why do so many people like to watch shows that would cause them to fall them into depression? I'll use an example: Attack on Titan. I read the manga up to the 40's and 50's chapter mark and during this time, all I can think of is: what kind of sick, twisted human being made this? You have people dieing left and right (quite guesomely I might add), a scene where it is implied that a BABY WAS EATEN, a scene where someone shoots themselves in the mouth (which says to me that if you are up angist a enemy that you can't hope to defeat, all you can do is kill you self), the fans of the show tell me there is hope when their CLEARLY isn't, etc. I just can't understand why this show would appeal to anyone when it it seems to be written by someone who should be locked up in a insane asylum. Maybe it because I only watch/read happy go lucky shonens, that might be the reason why (things like One piece, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Fairy Tail, Sword Art Online post ep 3, and the like). I think it's more than that though. Feel free to answer my question, I'm just so puzzled as to why people like these type of shows.

I don't remember any scene implying that a baby was eaten in the manga. Anyways, the series is dark but its really not that dark to make you sick to the stomach tbh, and it doesn't need to be. I like it because it has a interesting cast and also a interesting plot, the violence and death just add to the atmosphere.

If you don't like those anime then don't watch them. I wonder what you would think of game of thrones then??
Jun 17, 2016 8:04 AM

Feb 2015
That's simple,its because i find them funny
Jun 17, 2016 9:43 AM

Nov 2012
Lmfaooo Attack on Titan was dark and depressing? Didn't expect that to be used as an example.
Maybe you're mixing up gory and dark shows. I detest gore and violence, but I enjoy a dark, psychological and depressing show much more than a happy one. Same with literature. Because when we're happy we don't touch the raw emotions of a human. When we're sad we do.
Aoi no bungaku is a great example. Love it.
Jun 18, 2016 11:17 AM

Jan 2013
As someone with a big interest in psychology and stuff, dark and depressing shows/books are big time my thing.
I just like to see characters put through really dark and sad stuff and see how they end up, it's kinda hard to explain.
A story that really makes me feel something or has a sad ending leaves more of an impact on me, therefore I talk about it and am interested in it longer.
I just find depressing and dark stuff more interesting, it's the kinda stuff I'll binge quickly and think about for days.
Meanwhile, I tend to get tired of happy shows quickly, it takes me forever to finish them and I tend to forget about them as I simply have no lasting interest.
There's no real big mystery behind it, it's really just a matter of what kind of story you enjoy more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2016 11:43 AM
Oct 2015
Because everyone wants to bring out the inner edgelord within themselves.
Jun 18, 2016 11:43 AM

Nov 2013
Why do people like bubblegum pink slice of life shows where nothing slightly depressing happens?
Jun 18, 2016 12:43 PM

Dec 2015
I like watching the main character struggle with little to no hope. You think there will be no chance for them to overcome fate or whatever overbearing force that is blocking them from their wanted outcome and then somehow they succeed in the .00001% chance.

This is why some of my favorites are Higurashi, Steins;gate, Erased (manga), and now Re:zero.
Jun 21, 2016 7:41 AM
Jun 2014
keragamming said:
DPP21 said:
The name says it all, why do so many people like to watch shows that would cause them to fall them into depression? I'll use an example: Attack on Titan. I read the manga up to the 40's and 50's chapter mark and during this time, all I can think of is: what kind of sick, twisted human being made this? You have people dieing left and right (quite guesomely I might add), a scene where it is implied that a BABY WAS EATEN, a scene where someone shoots themselves in the mouth (which says to me that if you are up angist a enemy that you can't hope to defeat, all you can do is kill you self), the fans of the show tell me there is hope when their CLEARLY isn't, etc. I just can't understand why this show would appeal to anyone when it it seems to be written by someone who should be locked up in a insane asylum. Maybe it because I only watch/read happy go lucky shonens, that might be the reason why (things like One piece, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Fairy Tail, Sword Art Online post ep 3, and the like). I think it's more than that though. Feel free to answer my question, I'm just so puzzled as to why people like these type of shows.

I don't remember any scene implying that a baby was eaten in the manga. Anyways, the series is dark but its really not that dark to make you sick to the stomach tbh, and it doesn't need to be. I like it because it has a interesting cast and also a interesting plot, the violence and death just add to the atmosphere.

If you don't like those anime then don't watch them. I wonder what you would think of game of thrones then??

I can't remember what volume it was in, but know that the scene involved Titans running towards a family that had a baby (could have been a small child) and then the scene got cut off, implying that family and the child were eaten.

As for Game of Thrones, there is a scene my friend described in the show where a man tricked a woman and her child to follow him somewhere where they are eaten by wolves and the man just watches.

if something like that is perfectly acceptable to air on television, our species has truly become monsters.
Jun 21, 2016 7:47 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know, why is Dark Souls 3 my all-time favorite game?

A good anime is a good anime. If the plot is engaging, the characters deep, the sound immersive and the art style pleasurable, I really don't care if the show tackles darker themes or not.
Jun 21, 2016 8:06 AM

Sep 2013
For me, the gory scene just for realisme. I mean how could people eaten by titan but leave no blood?
Jun 21, 2016 8:26 AM

Apr 2016
It´s easy , you like stuff you identify yourself the most. If you are a depressing cuck (80-90% of all otakus are depressed) then you will like to see people having the same issues / being miserable at life etc.

For example the anime Barakamon. Someone who never worked in his life, someone who never experienced real stress (burn out) and failure in his carreer will actually have a hard time understanding the greatness of Barakamon. Therefore it is a Seinen, since teenagers won´t find it interesting enough, since they mostly never experience such things as ''having a job, stress /stress relief, being in need for a new perspective etc ''

btw: Attack on Titan is a shonen, it is meant to be entertaining and not depressing...

You know, I feel really happy right now.

I'm really glad, I was able to meet you in this life.

Jun 21, 2016 8:41 AM

Jul 2013
Ars_Moriendi said:
It´s easy , you like stuff you identify yourself the most. If you are a depressing cuck (80-90% of all otakus are depressed) then you will like to see people having the same issues / being miserable at life etc.

For example the anime Barakamon. Someone who never worked in his life, someone who never experienced real stress (burn out) and failure in his carreer will actually have a hard time understanding the greatness of Barakamon. Therefore it is a Seinen, since teenagers won´t find it interesting enough, since they mostly never experience such things as ''having a job, stress /stress relief, being in need for a new perspective etc ''

btw: Attack on Titan is a shonen, it is meant to be entertaining and not depressing...

I'm a teenager and I rated Barakamon a perfect 10.
Jun 21, 2016 2:21 PM

Oct 2013
DPP21 said:
keragamming said:

I can't remember what volume it was in, but know that the scene involved Titans running towards a family that had a baby (could have been a small child) and then the scene got cut off, implying that family and the child were eaten.

As for Game of Thrones, there is a scene my friend described in the show where a man tricked a woman and her child to follow him somewhere where they are eaten by wolves and the man just watches.

if something like that is perfectly acceptable to air on television, our species has truly become monsters.

I think a lot of persons would argue that humans are indeed monsters. Look what is going on in this world?! But calling people monsters for watching/writing dark tone stories is ridiculous! People like you seriously complains about the wrong things.

What you should be complaining about are real people, not fictional characters getting behead/murdered rape ect. People that commit those crimes are the ones that should be called monsters! Not us people that are normal people that just so happens to enjoy violent shows! I think that's a very disrespectful thing to say, I'm sure you yourself have family members that enjoy watching violent tv series, do you believe they're monsters as well????
keragammingJun 21, 2016 2:36 PM
Jun 21, 2016 2:30 PM

Dec 2015
I watch it for entertainment. Other shows are lacking good story/plot and/or characters most of the time. And comedy (which does not rely on plot/characters) needs to be good to entertain. But there isn't much good comedy. So those "dark" shows are the best option to maxizine fun and entetainment/enjoyment.
Jun 21, 2016 2:37 PM

Jul 2014
ppl like to see how they'll react to it ...... :/ or they just think its no big deal until they watched all of it :/
Jun 21, 2016 3:17 PM
Jun 2014
keragamming said:
DPP21 said:

I think a lot of persons would argue that humans are indeed monsters. Look what is going on in this world?! But calling people monsters for watching/writing dark tone stories is ridiculous! People like you're seriously complains about the wrong things.

What you should be complaining about are real people, not fictional characters getting behead/murdered rape ect. People that commit those crimes are the ones that should be called monsters! Not us people that are normal people that just so happens to enjoy violent shows! I think that's a very disrespecting thing to say, I'm sure you yourself have family members that enjoy watching violent tv series, do you believe they're monsters as well????

I do have a family member that watches these types of shows, but he's my father so i can't really decry him for this. Also, I'm blaming the people who thought it was acceptable to air, hell, even write this stuff (since they are the ones who create it), not the audience (though some of the blame can be directed towards them as well, for wholeheartedly consuming this sick shit). I just can not understand what goes though their minds when they write some of these horrific events. Did they personally go though some of these events (Which I highly doubt), or do they just use that piece of paper and that pen as an outlet to write whatever their dark and twisted mind desires and show what they created to the world (which I highly believe). They might think these people are nothing more than words on a piece of paper, but not to me. To me, they are real, living, beating humans with their own hopes, desires, dreams and emotions. You might call these thoughts foolish and even insane, but I could care less. Just how their are many people who believe that their is a god who has their fates in his hands, so too do I have the fates of my characters in my own........and I will do what ever it takes to make sure they have happy, fulfilling lives.
Jun 21, 2016 3:19 PM

Mar 2014
DPP21 said:

The answer is simple, you simply don't like it. If something like that makes you depressed then you have problems. Any type of show can be good. You're just not open minded enough.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Jun 21, 2016 6:12 PM

Oct 2013
DPP21 said:
keragamming said:

I think a lot of persons would argue that humans are indeed monsters. Look what is going on in this world?! But calling people monsters for watching/writing dark tone stories is ridiculous! People like you're seriously complains about the wrong things.

What you should be complaining about are real people, not fictional characters getting behead/murdered rape ect. People that commit those crimes are the ones that should be called monsters! Not us people that are normal people that just so happens to enjoy violent shows! I think that's a very disrespecting thing to say, I'm sure you yourself have family members that enjoy watching violent tv series, do you believe they're monsters as well????

I do have a family member that watches these types of shows, but he's my father so i can't really decry him for this. Also, I'm blaming the people who thought it was acceptable to air, hell, even write this stuff (since they are the ones who create it), not the audience (though some of the blame can be directed towards them as well, for wholeheartedly consuming this sick shit). I just can not understand what goes though their minds when they write some of these horrific events. Did they personally go though some of these events (Which I highly doubt), or do they just use that piece of paper and that pen as an outlet to write whatever their dark and twisted mind desires and show what they created to the world (which I highly believe). They might think these people are nothing more than words on a piece of paper, but not to me. To me, they are real, living, beating humans with their own hopes, desires, dreams and emotions. You might call these thoughts foolish and even insane, but I could care less. Just how their are many people who believe that their is a god who has their fates in his hands, so too do I have the fates of my characters in my own........and I will do what ever it takes to make sure they have happy, fulfilling lives.

Probably you need to watch people's live reaction of those series, because from the way you're talking, you make it sounds as if people get orgasm over seeing anime characters getting behead for eg. The reaction from a character death would most likely be "shock" than "aw" and even if a person like gore and other stuff, I don't think there's anything wrong with them as long as they don't enjoy seeing it in real life.

Let me tell you this, "gore" doesn't carry a series, it is the story, characters and plot that carries the series. I know some friends that can't stomach the gore and other dark stuff in GOT, but they still watch it because they like the story so much.

Nothing doesn't bother me in fiction to the point where I'm traumatize. I might be shock, but that is about it. When I see rral life accidents with persons loosing a limb for eg, that's what traumatized me, a few years back I the made a mistake of watching a person getting beheaded, simple out of curiousity, I was traumatize for days!!!! Never once I have watch any of those cruel videos, the persons that regularly watch videos like that are the real sick and cruel person.

In my opinion you should not mix up fiction with relality, just saying. Also writers got ideas from other films, news real life experience ect, it didn't just pop up in their head.

The attack on titan mangaka got the idea of making a survival series from playing a video game, "muv luv" it had aliens in it, now for the titans he got the idea of creating titans from a drunk person, he realise how inhuman he was and that is how he got the ideas of creating the titans.

So no, your theory that these writers think of evil syories to write is wrong. Also you said it imply that the titans eat the baby, um.. Shouldn't you be giving him credit for not showing it? And respecting that some of his audience may not like him showing it?

Realistically speaking, if more than half the population is eaten by titans, that means infants are definitely included as well. That means it is implied that a lot of babies got eaten by titans. You know the type of world this is in the series, so you should expect it. So I don't see how implying is considered a bad thing.

Again, I don't remember any imply death of a baby in the series and I've rewatch/reread the series plenty of time, again, if more than half the population is dead then you know babies are part of the casuality as well.
keragammingJun 21, 2016 6:16 PM
Jun 21, 2016 7:06 PM
Jun 2014
keragamming said:
DPP21 said:

Probably you need to watch people's live reaction of those series, because from the way you're talking, you make it sounds as if people get orgasm over seeing anime characters getting behead for eg. The reaction from a character death would most likely be "shock" than "aw" and even if a person like gore and other stuff, I don't think there's anything wrong with them as long as they don't enjoy seeing it in real life.

Let me tell you this, "gore" doesn't carry a series, it is the story, characters and plot that carries the series. I know some friends that can't stomach the gore and other dark stuff in GOT, but they still watch it because they like the story so much.

Nothing doesn't bother me in fiction to the point where I'm traumatize. I might be shock, but that is about it. When I see rral life accidents with persons loosing a limb for eg, that's what traumatized me, a few years back I the made a mistake of watching a person getting beheaded, simple out of curiousity, I was traumatize for days!!!! Never once I have watch any of those cruel videos, the persons that regularly watch videos like that are the real sick and cruel person.

In my opinion you should not mix up fiction with relality, just saying. Also writers got ideas from other films, news real life experience ect, it didn't just pop up in their head.

The attack on titan mangaka got the idea of making a survival series from playing a video game, "muv luv" it had aliens in it, now for the titans he got the idea of creating titans from a drunk person, he realise how inhuman he was and that is how he got the ideas of creating the titans.

So no, your theory that these writers think of evil syories to write is wrong. Also you said it imply that the titans eat the baby, um.. Shouldn't you be giving him credit for not showing it? And respecting that some of his audience may not like him showing it?

Realistically speaking, if more than half the population is eaten by titans, that means infants are definitely included as well. That means it is implied that a lot of babies got eaten by titans. You know the type of world this is in the series, so you should expect it. So I don't see how implying is considered a bad thing.

Again, I don't remember any imply death of a baby in the series and I've rewatch/reread the series plenty of time, again, if more than half the population is dead then you know babies are part of the casuality as well.

When I ever said that Gore was the main reason why I hate these types of shows? I never said that (tho it is part of the problem). It's their themes that are the problem. Those horrible themes that say that you will never protect anyone, hope is a lie, raping people is good, you can't ever trust anyone, you will do anything to survive, even eating your own children, etc. It's disgusting things like that that makes me scared for the future. Also, you said that when see a people character, the only emotion is "shock". Do they feel any other emotion, like hatred, rage, sadness, disgust, anything at all? If all they feel only shock, then we have truly lost all of our humanity. Soon, because of these shows/games/anime, we will become so emotionless and apathetic to the plight of other people, their could be mass genocide being broadcasted on television and people wouldn't bat an eye. Also, you yourself had said that world of AOT is implied to have babies eaten, what makes you think the author won't show it onscreen? He's already shown so many horrific things, what going to stop him from showing it?
Jun 21, 2016 7:43 PM

Oct 2013
DPP21 said:
keragamming said:

When I ever said that Gore was the main reason why I hate these types of shows? I never said that (tho it is part of the problem). It's their themes that are the problem. Those horrible themes that say that you will never protect anyone, hope is a lie, raping people is good, you can't ever trust anyone, you will do anything to survive, even eating your own children, etc. It's disgusting things like that that makes me scared for the future. Also, you said that when see a people character, the only emotion is "shock". Do they feel any other emotion, like hatred, rage, sadness, disgust, anything at all? If all they feel only shock, then we have truly lost all of our humanity. Soon, because of these shows/games/anime, we will become so emotionless and apathetic to the plight of other people, their could be mass genocide being broadcasted on television and people wouldn't bat an eye. Also, you yourself had said that world of AOT is implied to have babies eaten, what makes you think the author won't show it onscreen? He's already shown so many horrific things, what going to stop him from showing it?
DPP21 said:
keragamming said:

-_- I honestly hate talking to people like you, reminds me of christians vs atheist arguments. yes, of course they feel other emotion, but that depends entirely on the impact that death has, and each individual might have a different emotion than another.

The series is at chapter 82, it will end in the early 100 chapters, if he haven't shown it then why would he show it now? Why did he imply the death then, if he was going to show it anyways? there must be a reason why he did it in the first place.

''horrible themes that say that you will never protect anyone, hope is a lie, raping people is good, you can't ever trust anyone, you will do anything to survive, even eating your own children

-__- I don't know of any series that has a theme that is telling the audience that raping is good, a series that has a lot of rape does not mean it is to be look at as something that should be considered good. That is use to either show how cruel and dark the world is, or make the audience and characters in the show hate that particular character and also I'm not familiar with the eating children part.

Now I'm going to address the other themes and show you these theme are use and the positive that comes from those theme, basically.

that you will never protect anyone and there is no hope

This is your typical theme that is use on the main character where, no matter what he can't save anyone and he feel like he is useless, eventually he will overcome this obstacle and grow as a character, yawn typical story writing. -_- smh Hope and despair is the typical theme every dark tone/survival series should have. The point is, you just don't like these type of series. A lot of those themes are necessary to those type of series.

In every story there is going to be obstacles in the story, it wouldn't be a story if there isn't any obstacles in the way.

Also the I will do anything to survive theme is a pretty good theme, oh, but I guess since you're a angel and a killer for eg is trying to kill you and your family you're just going to sit back and relax and make the killer murder you and your family, simple because doing anything to survive is a bad thing correct? smh.
keragammingJun 21, 2016 7:53 PM
Jun 21, 2016 7:51 PM

Mar 2016
The nastier the bad guys the cooler the heroes. That's why survival horror is so appealing to me. It can get dark but I like when there's a silver lining.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 21, 2016 7:57 PM

Oct 2015
Because they are interesting and Wolfs Rain and Ergo Proxy has a great atmosphere. Stuff like Attack on Titan is neat because it's about people trying to stop giant titans and there is a real chance that they could die so it's suspenseful.

Also I takes a lot to make me depressed.
Jun 21, 2016 8:08 PM
Jul 2018
I'm more depressed by bad anime than I am depressive anime.
Jun 21, 2016 8:11 PM

Dec 2014
Because they are not you and they like different things. Duh -_-
Thinking.....
Jun 21, 2016 8:14 PM

Oct 2013
ilovewendy16 said:
DPP21 said:
I feel the exact same, i have ask people the same question before, but have yet to get a solid reasonable answer that i could understand. The only thing i can think, is that fucked up people like fucked up shit.

Ok, if we are going to judge people base on the type of series they like, I guess you're a pedophile then, because you are sexual attracted to young female characters. And don't tell me you aren't you have a sexualized loli on your profile pic, you watch hentai with loli female characters having sex as well. Let me see how you will asspull yourself out of this predicament.

If we are evil monsters for liking violent shows, then I guess you are pedo for liking loli characters and seeing them having sex then? you shouldn't be trusted around real life children, maybe I should report you?

Fight ignorance with ignorance, I guess that's the only way for people like you to get my point.
keragammingJun 21, 2016 8:23 PM
Jun 21, 2016 8:47 PM
Jun 2014
keragamming said:
DPP21 said:

DPP21 said:

-_- I honestly hate talking to people like you, reminds me of christians vs atheist arguments. yes, of course they feel other emotion, but that depends entirely on the impact that death has, and each individual might have a different emotion than another.

The series is at chapter 82, it will end in the early 100 chapters, if he haven't shown it then why would he show it now? Why did he imply the death then, if he was going to show it anyways? there must be a reason why he did it in the first place.

''horrible themes that say that you will never protect anyone, hope is a lie, raping people is good, you can't ever trust anyone, you will do anything to survive, even eating your own children

-__- I don't know of any series that has a theme that is telling the audience that raping is good, a series that has a lot of rape does not mean it is to be look at as something that should be considered good. That is use to either show how cruel and dark the world is, or make the audience and characters in the show hate that particular character and also I'm not familiar with the eating children part.

Now I'm going to address the other themes and show you these theme are use and the positive that comes from those theme, basically.

that you will never protect anyone and there is no hope

This is your typical theme that is use on the main character where, no matter what he can't save anyone and he feel like he is useless, eventually he will overcome this obstacle and grow as a character, yawn typical story writing. -_- smh Hope and despair is the typical theme every dark tone/survival series should have. The point is, you just don't like these type of series. A lot of those themes are necessary to those type of series.

In every story there is going to be obstacles in the story, it wouldn't be a story if there isn't any obstacles in the way.

Also the I will do anything to survive theme is a pretty good theme, oh, but I guess since you're a angel and a killer for eg is trying to kill you and your family you're just going to sit back and relax and make the killer murder you and your family, simple because doing anything to survive is a bad thing correct? smh.

While I may not believe in god, I still respect, and follow, many of the values that Christianity teaches. And one of those is to respect and care for your fellow man. If what you say is true, then why do I always still see die left and right on shows like GOT or AOT? guess the world doesn't really care about their fellow man after all.

if you say that rape is to show that the world is evil and cruel, why do they keep showing it, time and time again? We can already see that the world is horrible, why keep showing it? Unless, deep down, they truly believe rape is nothing more than a petty crime, no less worse than purse snatching, or they think it's ok or, god forbid, GOOD.

There is a MASSIVE difference or where your MC is in despair over not protecting anyone for a couple of panels/ seconds and him being in despair as the main theme.

You know what? i'm getting tired of this argument. You like shows that have dark, oppressive atmospheres and stories that wantonly eat babies and likes to keep telling you that no matter what, you will never win and should kill yourself, while I like shows that are happy and uplifting and good things happen and tell me that no matter what happens, you will be alright. We'll just leave it like that.
Jun 21, 2016 9:14 PM
Jun 2014
keragamming said:
ilovewendy16 said:
I feel the exact same, i have ask people the same question before, but have yet to get a solid reasonable answer that i could understand. The only thing i can think, is that fucked up people like fucked up shit.

Ok, if we are going to judge people base on the type of series they like, I guess you're a pedophile then, because you are sexual attracted to young female characters. And don't tell me you aren't you have a sexualized loli on your profile pic, you watch hentai with loli female characters having sex as well. Let me see how you will asspull yourself out of this predicament.

If we are evil monsters for liking violent shows, then I guess you are pedo for liking loli characters and seeing them having sex then? you shouldn't be trusted around real life children, maybe I should report you?

Fight ignorance with ignorance, I guess that's the only way for people like you to get my point.

After looking at his profile.......I truly believe he is one. Now I feel violated because I told him I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I guess I truly am alone in this.
Jun 21, 2016 9:17 PM

Jan 2016
Because a little bit of depression is good for the brain. Also some people love depressing shows because they feel more invested in the characters. I felt a lot more emotionally invested in the Clannad Characters than I did the characters in Naruto lol.

Jun 21, 2016 9:30 PM
Aug 2015
keragamming said:
ilovewendy16 said:

you would have a point if i was like 30 years old or somthing, but i myself am still "underage" by japan's standards, so i don't rally see the problem. being underage + liking underage girls = not a pedo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2016 10:12 PM
Feb 2016
I think that the reason people enjoy watching darker shows, or at least the reason I watch dark and depressing shows is for two main reasons. Reason one being that many of these shows force you to think about the overlying themes such as life, death, lover, moral and ethical issues, going on your example of Attack on Titan one of the overlying themes is: 'is life worth living, if you're caged?'. The second main reason is that it is just so different, from both other shows (anime and non) as well as real life, so it is just a new experience, I mean when in real life are we going to be attacked by giant monsters and have the possibility of dying at any point of time, it is unfathomable to most people. Well at least there the reasons why I watch dark and depressing shows, so I hope that somewhat answered your question.
Jun 22, 2016 12:47 AM

Mar 2014
Well Eren can turn into a titan, so there's the hope you speak of. AoT isn't even that dark. Why do people like it? probably because our lives aren't that exciting and watching a fictional society struggle against a horrible abomination isn't something we get in real life so people naturally want to write stories about it. Dark stories also allow explorations of these you can't get in other stories.
ilovewendy16 said:
keragamming said:

you would have a point if i was like 30 years old or somthing, but i myself am still "underage" by japan's standards, so i don't rally see the problem. being underage + liking underage girls = not a pedo.
You are 18, there is something very wrong with a 18 yo wanting to fuck 12 year olds. Unless you're of the mind that fiction =/= reality, in which case, your argument against people liking violent shows doesn't hold up. If you want an answer to how somebody can enjoy a dark show without being a violent sociopath, I'll give you one:

Like I said above, we get to experience a wider variety of stories and themes. I don't like Texhnolyze because it's dark and violent, I like it because it had a huge emotional impact on me that no light hearted show has. This would not have been possible if not for it's presentation.

Violence is part of human nature, and most likely always will be because of competition for resources, conflicting ideals, and a desire to elevate ourselves above each other. Representing this in art is helpful (though not required) in creating thought provoking and empathetic works. Two people can have different opinions without either one being right or wrong, sometimes they're so different that they're driven to kill each other. Maybe some goals are so important they're worth killing for. Maybe some people are so dangerous they need to be eliminated. These moral questions are important to ask ourselves and some questions can only be explored through violent content. I'm not entertained by violence in and of itself, but by what only violence can tell me about human nature. Can you watch Berserk and honestly say that only a psychopath would be able to look past the blood to be able to enjoy it's messages? is everyone who likes AoT or GoT a violent crinimal? If that's the case than there are a ton of psycho's on MAL and 90% of the worlds population probably needs mental help.

Because these things exist in real life, the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows and nakama power ups, pretending otherwise is a disservice to your audience.
Jun 22, 2016 12:57 AM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
Well Eren can turn into a titan, so there's the hope you speak of. AoT isn't even that dark. Why do people like it? probably because our lives aren't that exciting and watching a fictional society struggle against a horrible abomination isn't something we get in real life so people naturally want to write stories about it. Dark stories also allow explorations of these you can't get in other stories.
ilovewendy16 said:
You are 18, there is something very wrong with a 18 yo wanting to fuck 12 year olds. Unless you're of the mind that fiction =/= reality, in which case, your argument against people liking violent shows doesn't hold up. If you want an answer to how somebody can enjoy a dark show without being a violent sociopath, I'll give you one:

Like I said above, we get to experience a wider variety of stories and themes. I don't like Texhnolyze because it's dark and violent, I like it because it had a huge emotional impact on me that no light hearted show has. This would not have been possible if not for it's presentation.

Violence is part of human nature, and most likely always will be because of competition for resources, conflicting ideals, and a desire to elevate ourselves above each other. Representing this in art is helpful (though not required) in creating thought provoking and empathetic works. Two people can have different opinions without either one being right or wrong, sometimes they're so different that they're driven to kill each other. Maybe some goals are so important they're worth killing for. Maybe some people are so dangerous they need to be eliminated. These moral questions are important to ask ourselves and some questions can only be explored through violent content. I'm not entertained by violence in and of itself, but by what only violence can tell me about human nature. Can you watch Berserk and honestly say that only a psychopath would be able to look past the blood to be able to enjoy it's messages? is everyone who likes AoT or GoT a violent crinimal? If that's the case than there are a ton of psycho's on MAL and 90% of the worlds population probably needs mental help.

Because these things exist in real life, the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows and nakama power ups, pretending otherwise is a disservice to your audience.

It doesn't even have to run that deep. Violence is something we enjoy naturally. It gives a rush of adrenaline. We like victory and defeating another - that's why sports are so popular.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 22, 2016 1:20 AM
Jan 2015
I like dark anime because it always feel more realistic and showed true side of humanity . especially for the one that include psychological stuff . I prefer that kind of things , psychological battles which read each other's mind and strategy, example : death note .I also like seeing characters that threading in the line of evil and justice .based on perspective , they can either justice or evil ,somethings like that , and most of dark anime has that kind of characters , that is why I like dark anime . The plot and story also feel more enjoyable to me . But i didn't hate happy-ending type of anime either .I also like read/see plenty of them.
Jun 22, 2016 1:22 AM

Feb 2015
I like the edgy shit so i can cut myself with it
Jun 22, 2016 1:27 AM
Dec 2015
There are lots of reasons and the answers will highly depend on the person you're asking the question too. I personal like dark and depressing shows because i relate to some of them.(example:The Tatami Galaxy and NGE)
Jun 22, 2016 1:28 AM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
merryfistmas said:

It doesn't even have to run that deep. Violence is something we enjoy naturally. It gives a rush of adrenaline. We like victory and defeating another - that's why sports are so popular.
This is true but I was trying to avoid that answer. It's weird to me that someone would question why violence is popular in things like AoT or GTA, but then again, I've questioned how people are capable of liking shows that offer little outside of fan service so I guess that's not much better.
Jun 22, 2016 1:31 AM
Dec 2014
Because of the Linkin park syndrome.
Jun 22, 2016 1:32 AM

Dec 2012
Sometimes you just have to pull away from everything happy and watch the shows that make you think. I mostly just watch what I want depending on my mood. Not sure about how others see it but they probably relate to the situations shown in those certain anime unlike super happy harems and action anime where the MC always seems like he wins.
Jun 22, 2016 3:16 AM

Aug 2013
Because they are interesting though some dark and depressing shows are edgy as hell.
huh
Jun 22, 2016 5:24 AM
Aug 2015
merryfistmas said:
ilovewendy16 said:

I agree mostly with the idea of using certain unsavory elements as a plot driving device, however that is not what the OP was talking about. He meant a repugnant use of violence for no understandable reason, except expressly for the enjoyment of seeing said violence. That is what I refer to as fucked up. (no comment on the pervert business)
Jun 22, 2016 9:59 AM

Oct 2013
@ilovewendy16

After looking at his profile.......I truly believe he is one. Now I feel violated because I told him I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I guess I truly am alone in this.

loooool Maybe you need to explain to @DPP21 why you like those stuff and why watching those stuff doesn't make you a pedo in real life. Good luck with that! Maybe then you will realise the frustration we went through to try and explain our reason for liking violent shows with you guys and that we are still normal human beings and not monster.
Jun 22, 2016 6:28 PM
Feb 2014
Because they need to find an outlet to transmit onto the rest of the world and sound intelligent upon reflection.
Jun 22, 2016 7:20 PM

Mar 2012
It can go into deeper themes and at times much more interesting plot/character lines. As corny as it sounds, humans have always been attracted to the dark and light; to be human is to be conflicted.
Jun 22, 2016 8:15 PM
Aug 2015
keragamming said:
@ilovewendy16

loooool Maybe you need to explain to @DPP21 why you like those stuff and why watching those stuff doesn't make you a pedo in real life. Good luck with that! Maybe then you will realise the frustration we went through to try and explain our reason for liking violent shows with you guys and that we are still normal human beings and not monster.
a am a pervert in real life, deal wid it boi. (i don't actually do illegal things tho)
seriously though, if i am a pedo for liking underage anime girls, 90% of all anime fans who like anime girls are also pedos. If you didn't notice, its a rare thing to find an anime girl that is, or looks of legal age. of course it depends on you own countries laws like the US (my country) is 18 and most anime girls are or look under 18, so in the us most anime fans are pedos apparently. However, in japan the legal age is like 13 - 14 (16 in some metropolitan areas) so most anime fans in japan are not pedos. Its all perspective bro.
ie_above11DJun 22, 2016 8:30 PM
Jun 22, 2016 8:59 PM

Jun 2016
Because dark, heavy anime usually keep me at the edge of my seat. A lighter anime will have me all comfy and they're easy to enjoy but I don't always want that.
Jun 23, 2016 12:21 AM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

This is true but I was trying to avoid that answer. It's weird to me that someone would question why violence is popular in things like AoT or GTA, but then again, I've questioned how people are capable of liking shows that offer little outside of fan service so I guess that's not much better.

I think people enjoy shows that contain little more than fanservice because they seek a passive enjoyment. It's instant gratification, very like watching porn. They're not interested in investing thought or emotions into the story or thinking about it deeply. They want a distraction.

Now, I know this sounds condescending and I do think this is a bad way of living life. Still, why it's bad is a different discussion. You can admit fanservice is all this and then argue why it's good.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

175 by alshu »»
6 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 5 hours ago

40 by Spunkert »»
10 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7153 by g6qwerty »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you think we should have more realistic anime?

ImNotAnOtaku1 - Apr 14

39 by Archean-Return »»
12 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

31 by ISeeLifePeople »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.