Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2016 9:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The twins are adorable even when they were little :3

Good episode, their past was not every pleasant though especially at what Rem witnessed. Feel really bad for her. Still at least, she is in control of herself. I kinda like how Subaru also gets her on track despite the dangers around them. I thought the action when mixed with the theme song to be quite fitting though. The dog legitimately scared me this episode

Rem is adorable :3
Stark700Jun 12, 2016 9:28 AM
Jun 12, 2016 9:28 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Fuck that demon/monster/cute/puppy dog lol

EDIT: That backstory.......Jesus Christ that entire thing was just so tragic

I felt so freaking bad for Rem being forced to walk in her sister's shadow and be taken for granted and looked down upon and holy shit I did not expect Ram to be some kind of super demon prodigy when she had her horn....And dat massacre O_O

Their story was just really sad and seeing what they had to go through after Ram lost her horn was tough....Those two deserve happiness and I'm glad that they got it now....That final scene with Subaru and Rem was so beautiful I almost cried

The way they killed the puppy was really neat too and kudos for Subaru for coming up with a great plan....Rosewaal is even more shady now though, all I got is questions now lol

Amazing episode followed by an amazing ending with my OTP....I'm really gonna miss that ED song though....Can't wait for Arc 3 and the new songs
TokoyaJun 12, 2016 11:39 AM
Jun 12, 2016 9:33 AM

Apr 2015
Oh lord jesus...They adapted the flashback into their past perfectly.

Oh and Rem's crying face at the end. I feared they wouldn't do the wonderful LN art of it no justice but boy they made it even better.

Also surprised to hear the OP within the episode but that only shows me that next week will most likely be new OP time :)!
Jun 12, 2016 9:34 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
No OP and ED in this episode. We start off with getting a backstory for Rem and Ram. Seems like Subaru did hit Rem's horn back then and now the three are getting out of there. Subaru decides to stay back and defend Rem and Ram. But Roswaal to the rescue! And Rem's really starting to like Subaru a lot. That smile was great :D
Second arc ends today and third arc starts next week.

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerJun 12, 2016 9:42 AM
Jun 12, 2016 9:36 AM

Dec 2014
This episode was perfect episode of Rem. Her crying/smiling face was so adorable.
No OP/ED again, but I'm absolutely fine with that :p

Now, finally the third arc starts next week, can't wait for new OP/ED!

I wonder who that yellow hair maid is though. Apparently

EDIT:
MezterJun 12, 2016 9:51 AM
Jun 12, 2016 9:40 AM

Jul 2013
(As I did with BnHA ep 11, I watched this on a live stream. Will rewatch again with english subs.)

No OP and ED this time 'round.
We get a look into Rem and Ram's past. Was great to see that.
Oh, Subaru stays back to fight the stupid dogs while Ram and Rem run off. Roswaal comes in just in time to roast 'em real goood.

Rem's smile. SO.FUCKING.ADORBS.
Subaru asks Emilia for a date. wooo~

Alright, finally done with this arc and onto the next :D
Jun 12, 2016 9:45 AM

Jul 2014
Amazing episode, so Rem had an inferiority complex, cant blame her, Ram was good at everything, hated the part when she smiled after Ram got her horn cut off, I mean dude she literally lost it because of saving you and you dare smile? and then starts the "My sister lost her horn because of me so I gotta be like her" BS.

I really dont like that clown dude despite of the fact that it was thanks to him that Subaru didnt kick the bucket this time.

You know you're deep into this when you see our main character smile like the way he did when Emilia gave her OK about the date, you can literally see in his face that "Got killed by the people that I wanted to forge a bond with, got my arm/head ripped off, jumped off a cliff, still fcking worth it"

Anyways excited for the next arc and the new OP/ED visuals, OP by Myth and Roid, ED by Emilia Tan.
Here we go for another long freaking ride of more deaths and sufferings.
Jun 12, 2016 9:45 AM

Apr 2014
Love how they needed to shoehorn a shallow date between Subaru and Emilia at the end to remind us that she exists.
Either way, great episode from what I've seen. Patiently waiting for subs.
Jun 12, 2016 9:55 AM

Apr 2015
Did I miss something or why did twitter explode with this episode of Re:Zero?

Usually it trends with 17k and is second or third.

This week it has 28k and is first by a large margin.

Rem-rin is working her magic.

Also lol at the author's twitter. He is already preparing people for the stuff that awaits them in arc 3 and apologizes beforehand. He also says he is prepared to get a lot of messages where people tell him he is a terrible person ( not serious of course ).
Jun 12, 2016 10:04 AM

Mar 2015
Ahh I knew that there won't be OP/ED this episode... perfect way to end it. Rem is definitely the best and this is just the start of her character. You have not seen anything!

OH my God. That smile. Fuuuu!! White Fox is so cruel. SO CRUEL TO ME! I hate you White Fox. Yup... let me just prepare my heart for arc 3. Take a deep breath.. and let me stab myself a few more times.

The church of Rem is accepting new followers and those who hated her too.

Give me some more of those Rem-rin! The long awaited true heroine finally show her side. Let witness Re:Zero's most popular character lol.

I truly enjoyed this episode. Definitely did Rem justice. The flashback, the crying scene, the hero scene, perfect.

Jun 12, 2016 10:32 AM

May 2016
That was a fantastic episode man

The visuals are pretty STUNNING. The lights and colors... Aye perfect.

The music as well. Beautiful.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jun 12, 2016 10:35 AM
May 2016
So is Next is the so Called Best Arc and I'm Excited and next Op theme is By Myth&Roid its gonna be hype and the next ed will sing by Emillia's VA with Rem VA wow
Jun 12, 2016 11:02 AM

Sep 2010
Every single week I'm surprised by how much more perfect this series is turning out to be.

Also, dammit, I finally got "converted" to Rem as well xD I'll admit it, okay? Rem best girl ^^ You happy, fellow Rem-fanboys/-girls? :P
Jun 12, 2016 11:05 AM

Jun 2014
That speech he gave to Rem... this show gives them feels like it's nobody's business.

Roswaal is proven to be best guy this episode too, kind of sinister feeling in the ending scene though.

Subaru getting another date with Emilia can only lead to disaster.
Jun 12, 2016 11:05 AM

Jan 2015
Hands down the best episode of this series and one of the best this year.

That flashback scene was really well done and throughout this whole episode Rem's development and character were just 10/10.

Next week is when the pain trains starts again.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jun 12, 2016 11:07 AM

Nov 2014
I now see why Rem is one of the favorites in this show. That smile is precious and I want to protect it .
Their backstory is tragic, I feel bad for them.

Hi there
Jun 12, 2016 11:11 AM

Apr 2015
I'm really positively surprised that they showed Fredericka ( Blond Maid ) and mentioned Roswaal's "goal" which heavily hints towards
Jun 12, 2016 11:11 AM

Dec 2009
Watching so many series right now where some of my favorite characters suffer, and looks like Rem and Ram did plenty of that ;_; God damn is this series so good. The animation was top notch this week.

So glad Subaru managed to save everyone and finally stop his cycle of deaths (At least at the manor). That part where he used his magic while the opening theme was playing was so fucking epic. 2nd Arc was just fantastic all around. Super hyped for Arc 3 from everything that I've heard from it. Rem is best girl, calling it now. That smile at the end from her hit me in the feels, she needs to be protected.

The ending with Ros-chi and Ram had me wondering exactly is going on with them. He made it sound like he wanted to win the throne but is supporting Emillia to do so. Sounds like he has a personal vendetta against the dragon, which has me really intrigued.
Jun 12, 2016 11:12 AM

Jan 2014
Ah, this was such a great end to the arc. I'm glad everything worked out and Subaru still got his date with Emilia.

Also, I KNEW that little girl that disappeared was responsible!
Jun 12, 2016 11:13 AM

Jan 2015
Fappa said:
I'm really positively surprised that they showed Fredericka ( Blond Maid ) and mentioned Roswaal's "goal" which heavily hints towards

It's all for setting up S2, after this episode no way WF is going to do us dirty and not deliver.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jun 12, 2016 11:14 AM

Apr 2014
This was a good arc. I have high expectations for the next one

We all know the REAL reason why everyone likes Rem is because she's horny unlike Ram ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hopefully nothing goes wrong during the date

OrangeJPJun 12, 2016 11:35 AM

Jun 12, 2016 11:17 AM

Aug 2010
And I died.
Rem's smile was tooooo MABUSHIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!! SOOOO BEAUTIFUL <3<3 I'm in love!!!

Really loved her story. Now her obsession with Ram totally makes sense. Ram sure was amazing. I wonder who exactly cut her horn tho? But she's also awesome. And Roswal supplying her mana was nice to know.

Anyway that little Puppy sure wasn't little lol

And I'm so happy for Subaru getting his date with Emilia after all that suffering.

Why are all the girls in this series so much <3<3 Sux that there was no Betty this ep tho :(

Rem is my personal best girl now tho <3
Jun 12, 2016 11:20 AM
Jul 2015

Best moment
Best girl

Jun 12, 2016 11:20 AM

Jul 2014
OP song playing during the fight with the puppy was perfect :-)
And so was Rem's smile at the end :-)

(you can open it in new window to get bigger version)

But EMF (Emilia-tan major fairy) was great as well :-)

Oh, and if anyone missed it, it was the blue-haired girl that was controlling the mabeasts.

Jun 12, 2016 11:22 AM

Jun 2014
Rem and Ram had a pretty fucked up past....not surprised we didn't get the OP/ED visuals in this ep, it's expected at this point but I don't really care because of how great each episode has been (and we technically got the songs in the background anyway, so that was nice). A nice conclusion to this arc, and the art during Subaru and Rem's sentimental conversation was really nice. I'm also happy Subaru finally gets his date with Emilia. He definitely earned it after all the shit he went through in this arc.

Now we move onto this infamous 3rd arc that all these source readers keep hyping up....there have been a couple times in the past where the hype from the source readers didn't deliver (for me at least) but I'm certain the hype from the LN readers this time around is truly justified, so I look forward to what the next arc has to offer.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 12, 2016 11:23 AM

Jan 2014
Beautiful episode... and such great development for rem. Heck I prefer her to Emilia by a long shit right now.
Watch Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, you wont be disappointed. http://q.pokefarm.org/user/Uran10
Check out My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEz0PrV3Vh-ksW0mzOWnnSQ

Jun 12, 2016 11:24 AM

Oct 2014
This episode was nice and we finally got to find out Rem and Rams backstory. Looks like Subaru wont be dying for a few more episodes now.

Is Rosewald trying to grow Rams horn back?
Sasuke or Kaneki I can't decide
Jun 12, 2016 11:27 AM

Sep 2013
Seeing Ram sitting in the laps of that clown is terrible.
Jun 12, 2016 11:30 AM

Jan 2015
The first half of the episode is about twin sister' story of the past. I guess no need to rush it, since it's a 2-cour episode
To be always compared with her "prodigy" sister And so that's why Rem learn the "hard" way.
I never happy saw Roswaal ever since that Subaru's first encounter thought him as a "clown". LOL
So it's a "happy-ending" for this arc, I guess?

And some nice Quote by Subaru too.
MasceraJun 12, 2016 11:50 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jun 12, 2016 11:34 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
That one shot with Rem smiling whilst crying and the curtains blowing in the wind behind her is so cliché lol... but still undeniably very effective all the same

Great episode as always
Jun 12, 2016 11:34 AM

Feb 2010
It's only been 4 days for these much suffering T^T

I'd also like to protect Rem's smile, does someone know where do I get a license?
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Jun 12, 2016 11:35 AM

Feb 2016
purpleninja0006 said:
Is Rosewald trying to grow Rams horn back?

To me it seemed as if she was going to die otherwise.
Reminded me of this old anime Chrono Crusade, where demons required their horns to get supply of mana from the atmosphere, and if cut they would die after a while since they need mana to be alive. Or something like that o.0 - its been a while since I watched it.
I imagine its something similar in Rezero.

Also, Shamac!
Jun 12, 2016 11:38 AM

Dec 2014
I almost would rather have Subaru get together with Rem. Their moments are too precious.
I need sleep.
Jun 12, 2016 11:40 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I got a question for the LN readers....Why did that massacre happen in the flashback? I dunno if I missed something but that wasn't clear for me and also why does Rem blame herself for Ram getting taken out?

Also going by the scene that he had with Ram, I'm guessing that it was Rosewaal that cut her horn off?

EDIT: Wait, so they got Phantom Troupe'd then?
TokoyaJun 12, 2016 11:43 AM
Jun 12, 2016 11:41 AM

Jul 2007
The starter segment was confusing. So Ram was apparently utterly powerful, then their village got attacked by ku klux klan, Ram lost her horn and Rem was glad because she finally got to be the "sister that is useful" ? And she was ashamed of it and the guilt from feeling that way made her over-work herself in her sister's stead.

Their backstory is so Tsukihime that it hurts. I mean if I am understanding the episode right it is literally copy of
which I guess is what Roswaal did here?

Either way - holy shit the amount of development this arc gave to Rem and Ram and the complexity and depth of character they have now. Emilia who? Subaru should just forget the "I am so nice and that's all I have going for me" waifu prize at this point. Subaru and Rem have so much chemistry together.

Likewise Roswaal's imitation of Emilia also gave great characterization to him, as well as the moment where his motivation is finally revealed.It really made me curious about his character.

Directing wise this episode was perfect. The op-as-insert moment felt a bit abrupt and out of place though. Its as if they wanted to HAVE it in, but did not know how exactly so they just dropped it on top of final confrontation.

The downside of the episode? The final scene with prizeEmilia. REALLY hate the sexist trope of "waifu as reward for trying" nonsense. IT literally established Emilia as nothing more than "cute waifu motivation for Subaru". You can literally replace Emilia with any other "Ln waifu" be it asuna or any other at this point. The only thing I can about to hope for now is that the show actually uses this nonsene against Subaru somehow, because I am really not feeling this trope.

And Emilia needs characterization and some sort of plot ASAP. at this point Rem and Ram are miles upon miles above her.

4/5 for episode.

Tokoya said:
I dunno if I missed something but that wasn't clear for me and also why does Rem blame herself for Ram getting taken out?

NOT ln reader but it seemed clear to me that it was because Rem felt glad that Ram lost the horn - you see her smile when it happens.
AhenshihaelJun 12, 2016 11:49 AM
Jun 12, 2016 11:42 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode again, The twin sister's story was very interesting. So happy that the air time is back on schedule
Ram was a genius no wonder Rem developed an inferiority complex, I must say both of them looked really cute as children too.

When the OP played during the fight I got so hyped up and started grinning like crazy XD
Subaru's use of magic and stabbing the sword was really awesome, Though eventually Ros-chi saved the day.

Subaru's little pep-talk to Rem was really nice, Glad to see her get over her complex. They shared quite the nice moment. Rem's smile was beautiful.

Emilia was so cute at the end <3, Subaru's glee after getting the green light for his date was such a great moment, Almost palpable XD
EMF XDD
Hope we get to see the date next episode, Interesting bit with Ros-chi and Ram, Will we see Dragons in this show? That would be so awesome.
Can't wait for the 3rd arc to start. :D
Jun 12, 2016 11:43 AM

Jan 2012
OMG the scene where Roswaal was saying he didn't attend to her for a whole night... I was totally wtf but then it wasn't as shocking ^^"
Jun 12, 2016 11:44 AM

Jan 2015
This show just keeps delivering, my AOTS for sure.
Jun 12, 2016 11:48 AM
May 2016
Fappa said:
Did I miss something or why did twitter explode with this episode of Re:Zero?

Usually it trends with 17k and is second or third.

This week it has 28k and is first by a large margin.

Rem-rin is working her magic.

Also lol at the author's twitter. He is already preparing people for the stuff that awaits them in arc 3 and apologizes beforehand. He also says he is prepared to get a lot of messages where people tell him he is a terrible person ( not serious of course ).

Twitter is still going ham over this episode, man feels soooo fucking good to be re-zero fans.

Jul 2014
And so ends the second arc. Had a feeling we'd get Ram and Rem's backstory, but it wasn't what I was expecting, to say the least, but it was definitely pretty interesting. Also interesting to figure out exactly what role Roswaal played in that; it seemed as if he cut off Ram's horn, but then if he was there would he not have been part of the Witch's cult, as I'm assuming that they were the ones attacking the demon village (for some reason). If he is part of the Witch's cult, while this would explain wanting to kill the dragon based on the mythology we've heard about it and the Witch so far, it also makes me wonder if anyone at the mansion knows, other than possibly Ram. Makes me wonder if Emilia is little more than a means to an end for Roswaal, given what he wants to do.

Of course, this assumes I'm not being an idiot and making a connection that is not actually there. Either way, I'm very hyped for the third arc, but I'm wondering where Subaru's new reset point is going to be.

Oh, and who was the blond maid in the flashback? We definitely haven't seen her around the mansion before now.
AtavisticJun 12, 2016 12:39 PM

Dec 2013
Props to this episode for being non-Barusu centric. I loved the characterization of all the other characters (bar Emilia, who has been taken to be something of a trophy instead of a person now). The Roswaal rescue was excellent, though the deal with slaying the dragon opens up a whole can of worms there.

Looking forward to the next arc and more stupid Barusu antics and their fatal consequences.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 12, 2016 11:52 AM

Jul 2010
Watching this anime weekly is painful. Maybe I should stop here and wait until the anime ends to give it a marathon. What do you think.
Jun 12, 2016 11:52 AM

Oct 2012
Hm interesting backstory for Ram and Rem, and I see Rem feels guilty for being happy about Ram's lost horn. So Subaru didn't cut her horn, or did he?
Great magic usage Subaru xD

Subaru's truly fanatical like a demon~

Ugh one smile after another.
Another pure smile that we must protect!

Onto the third arc!
Oh and how is Roswaal related to Ram? Why does her body belong to him?
gust11Jun 12, 2016 11:56 AM
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Jun 12, 2016 11:53 AM

May 2012
He finally got his date again. This was such a Beautiful episode.

A perfect conclusion for this arc if I do say so myself. The back story for Rem and Ram was amazing. Love how it seemed to be in the form of a dream. Makes sense since we only saw it from Rem point of view. She had it rough trying to match up to her sister, and on top of that she felt happy when her horn got cut off. Ever since then she been trying to atone. Sad.

The ending was the best part. Rem and Subaru talking was just beautiful. When Rem started crying and smiling, it was to much for me. Then that fucked it up with ram siting on the clown. I don't know that shit always creeps me out.

Subaru finally got his date again. I'm so happy for my boy. I hope the next arc is really good, cause this one was beast.
AntearionJun 12, 2016 12:00 PM
Jun 12, 2016 11:53 AM
Jun 2015
The intro was just so good!
Jun 12, 2016 11:54 AM

Sep 2015
The scene when Rem was crying/smiling/laughing at the same time is simply the best scene of the season !
I almost forgot that Subaru can use a spell tho '-'

Aug 2010
U know they went in with the animation when all the screen shots of Rem's smile are different so far lol. So many frames were captured :3

Sep 2015
All the dying, the pain, the suffering and the cliffhangers just to see this beautiful face was so worth it.

Jul 2015
Amazing episode again. Backstory , No OP and ED. I love it. Can't wait for next week :).
May 2016
SirKurt said:
Watching this anime weekly is painful. Maybe I should stop here and wait until the anime ends to give it a marathon. What do you think.

why though? with this kind of anime, the waiting, the feeling when the next episode finally airs, discussing it, reading people comments doesnt matter if they are agreeing or disagreeing with you, are the best experience ever.

especially with this underdog show which was shotdown early by "critics", labelled as another "sao" clone.
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2016

631 by XionnaMing »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

715 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 1:39 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

2072 by Nanami0007 »»
Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2016

538 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2016

510 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.