Forum Settings
Forums

Is there not enough minoroties of color represented in anime?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 9, 2016 1:53 AM

Mar 2016
I wouldn't expect any authors to include diversity in their casts. Japan is pretty darn homogeneous compared to the US or other countries. Unless that creator really wants a diverse cast and has experience overseas, they're better off sticking to what they know, else we get more characters like Barret or Sahz, or how many Street Fighter characters are just stereotypes.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 9, 2016 1:56 AM

Nov 2014
Wow, this thread really triggered some people...

In a country that's 98.5% Japanese, you shouldn't expect much diversity in their entertainment. Most non-Japanese characters in anime are reduced to stereotypes because, without personal experience with non-Japanese people, the stereotypes are all they know.

Some anime like JoJo, Eureka Seven, Dimension W, Michiko to Hatchin, Black Lagoon, and Monster have tried to incorporate different races and cultures to broaden the scope of the story. I don't understand why any sensible person would have a problem with this.

It seems like some people have let the militant activism of SOME minorities turn them against ALL minorities. Don't forget that the media has a progressive bias and feeds on conflict. You only see militant activists because that's what the media focuses on to build their narratives.
Jun 9, 2016 2:18 AM

May 2015
I support people with different ethnicities being in anime, but when they start adding characters that are minorities just because some people think there isn't enough and an ethnic quota has to be put in, I obviously won't. Put in minorities because they suit the role, not because they're a minority.
Jun 9, 2016 2:28 AM

Sep 2014
BRB-kun said:
So you want something made in Japan, for the Japanese audience to pander to your own specific demands?

Japan is not some multicultural cesspool like America, they don't care about your multicultural SJW shit.

I support this comment with the force of a thousand suns
Jun 9, 2016 2:51 AM

Dec 2015
21 said:
So they've been exposed to white and European culture?

Hmm...why is that? Oh right because all media if white. No shit Sherlock. That's WHY we need diversity because in general stories of other cultures and other races aren't being reprensented. And it will never change if we continue to stay "oh keep that SJW shit out of here I want my media staying white only" no, people need to wake up and realize what's going on. And no, anime is also niche in Japan as well, it's niche everywhere in that sense. Maybe it's not as popular as it is in Japan but they clearly make revenue off it or else I wouldn't be able to walk into a mall and grab a anime plushies, t shirt blue ray and manga. And I wouldn't be able to go on HULU and watch an episode of whatever anime is aired a day before in Japan. They make money off of it in other countries and ignoring this fact is clearly you trying to stay ignorant. Anime is a buisness and they make sure to expose it and make revenue off it wherever they can, and they sure as hell know it makes them money in the US and that's a fact, there's no denying this

Blurays are like 5 times more expensive in Japan than in the west. Plushies are worthless compared to 100-200$ figures. The amount of money they get from legal streaming websites must be just ridiculous, just as the money artists get from legal music streaming.
And even if you can buy anime-related stuff, how many anime are actually represented here? I doubt you'll find Strike Witches Blu-Ray in your mall.
Not only 99% of western fans don't pay for the anime they watch, but even among the ones who pay, you would need 10 of them to get the money you have from a Japanese fan.
Yes it makes money, but it's just an extra for anime studios, it's nothing compared to the money they earn in Japan.

And why would you NEED diversity? Why should every race or culture be represented? I'm Belgian, should I demand more representation of Belgian culture in the US TV shows? No, because nobody cares and Belgian culture is irrelevant to the US people.
Same with black people in japan, they represent a ridiculously tiny minority of Japan. In fact I would even bet that black people are MORE represented in anime than they are in real Japan. Just in the 120 anime and manga i've seen, i can give from the top of my head at least 10 that feature important black characters. That's almost 8%, which is quite a lot considering that black people must be less than 0.1% of Japanese people.
Would you go in Nigeria and tell them they need to show more Asian people in their TV shows? Would you rant about how The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air didn't have enough white characters to fully represent cultures?
Japanese animation is not supposed to represent every culture. It's part of THEIR culture, therefore it's normal that it represents THEIR culture.
Jun 9, 2016 3:00 AM
Feb 2014
21 said:
I would like to see an anime that takes places in South America,

Michiko to Hatchin

or an anime that has a black protagonist and he isn't a stereotype. I understand the Japanese are little narrow minded when it comes to that stuff but Tokyo is such an international city with lots of different people from different ethnicities and cultures,

>Tokyo
>Diverse

97% Japanese

why does it feel like all anime has European influence, other than the obvious Japanese influence

>>Reddit
AqutanJun 9, 2016 3:11 AM
Jun 9, 2016 3:07 AM

Nov 2012
Japan doesn't have diversity, it's %90 Japanese not like America that's why and that's not racist or narrow minded.

It's like you saying I would like to see a Japanese tv show with black people in it, well you may find a couple with one character just like in animes.

Tokyo is just one city, Japan is more than Tokyo.

And personally, I enjoy animes that take place in Japan, why would they make one that's in South America? They already did France and England, they don't work that well.
Jun 9, 2016 3:16 AM

Nov 2014
JustALEX said:
Look at Funimation what they did with Prison School...

Look at Anime Expo (the largest anime convention in the U.S) implementing fucking "safe spaces" and telling people not to wear "inappropriate" cosplays.

This is how it starts....slowly....but just wait and see...

Yeah, this is obnoxious, but having more than one race in a story isn't inherently bad. Amero99's response has been one of the most pragmatic.

Amero99 said:
I support people with different ethnicities being in anime, but when they start adding characters that are minorities just because some people think there isn't enough and an ethnic quota has to be put in, I obviously won't. Put in minorities because they suit the role, not because they're a minority.

Exactly this.

If the story lends itself to diversity, as in it takes place outside of Japan, it would make sense to show more than one race of people. Otherwise, diversity shouldn't be forced.
Jun 9, 2016 10:43 AM

Feb 2009
21 said:
They don't hate whites, they have tons of anime with obvious European characters or influence like Fate/Zero, FMA, Attack on Titan. You guys are completely the hundreds of anime that have white European characters and influence.

Oh really. Try to get lost in a rural area in Fukuoka and try to get help to find your lodging. You'll see how much they love whites.

21 said:
That's WHY we need diversity because in general stories of other cultures and other races aren't being reprensented.

Ahahahaha. You a funny one. Why would you need diversity in a land that does not want any? Do you want to FORCE and PROJECT other cultures onto something that does not need it nor they are willing to accept it? That's cultural rape and bigotry, senpai.

21 said:
Maybe it's not as popular as it is in Japan but they clearly make revenue off it or else I wouldn't be able to walk into a mall and grab a anime plushies, t shirt blue ray and manga. And I wouldn't be able to go on HULU and watch an episode of whatever anime is aired a day before in Japan. They make money off of it in other countries and ignoring this fact is clearly you trying to stay ignorant. Anime is a buisness and they make sure to expose it and make revenue off it wherever they can, and they sure as hell know it makes them money in the US and that's a fact, there's no denying this

You clearly don't understand. You know who makes profit of all these? The foreign distributor. They buy the rights to the media for a fixed price, so they can legally translate and sell it. No matter how much do they sell, the original owner only gets the royalties from the distributor and the foreigners keep all the surplus profit.

Anime and manga does real profit only in Japan, where the original owners make profit after each sale. Who buys the most manga and anime? The Japanese. Where do studios get their money? From Blu-rays. Who buys all the Blu-rays? The Japanese. And where else do the studios get their money from? From selling the shows to Japanese TV stations. Who buys the most figures and other related merchandise? The Japanese.

If you pay to watch anime or buy merchandise in your local store, you actually help out those foreign companies that leech on the popularity of the niche-community, not the original legal owners.

21 said:
]thats right man, we need our media to be more diverse. That's enough with attempting to make the world think that white people and their stories are the only ones that matter. It's time to realize that there's billions of people out there that aren't white and of different culture, with fascinating stories to be told and they should be represented to. That darker skin kid doesn't have to be ashamed of his color or see himself as inferior because media is telling us only white skinned people are relevant in this world.

AHAHAHA. How does anime make a gypsy make himself/herself seem inferior, when all anime is about Japanese?

Because anime sure promotes... - damn I hate to use the term - white supremacy. If you watch carefully, most shows represent whites as incompetent, stupid, ignorant people, when they are paired up next to Japanese.

If you want cultural diversity, choose other media.

21 said:
doitagain said:
Wut r u talking abt, m8, animu is fulle of dem yellow pplz.
right, dark eyed, dark haired people

Yes. Exactly
Jun 9, 2016 11:22 AM

Sep 2014
It's already hard to get protagonists who aren't J-pop beauty canon...
So getting a MC with a different skin color......
Jun 9, 2016 11:26 AM

Apr 2016
BRB-kun said:
So you want something made in Japan, for the Japanese audience to pander to your own specific demands?

Japan is not some multicultural cesspool like America, they don't care about your multicultural SJW shit.

You took words right out of my mouth. +1
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Jun 9, 2016 11:29 AM

Jul 2015
Most anime take place in Japan. Not many Blacks/Hispanic/Indian/ whatever race live there. It's not a melting pot like the USA is.
Jun 9, 2016 11:30 AM

Apr 2016
Just ask some people in Africa to draw you some anime. They won't put minorities there for you, but they will put black people.

That's what you mean by minorities though right? "just add black people"?
Jun 9, 2016 11:45 AM

Dec 2012
Japan is tiny set of islands full of Asian people, they don't really have many people of other races living there so they don't cater to them in media, nor should they be expected to.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 9, 2016 3:10 PM

Jun 2008
Kruszer said:
Japan is tiny set of islands full of Asian people, they don't really have many people of other races living there so they don't cater to them in media, nor should they be expected to.
Animes off the top of my head that have white European characters or clearly have strong white European influence

Baccano!
Attack on Titan
Fullmetal Achemist
Monster
Gunslinger Girl
The Sky Crawlers
Claymore
Kuroshitsuji
Rose of Versailles
Gosick
Pandora hearts
Noir

I could keep going on and on, not to mention the countless anime that take place in setting with clear European influence and with characters that have blonde haire and blue eyes, or characters like the villain from sword of the stranger. So no, animes don't take place solely in Japan, nor are their characters only Japanese, and their setting/ and influence aren't only Japanese. They take a lot of inspiration, influence from European and white people and you can see it in countless anime. People want to give them as pass for not having any diversity in their anime simply because "oh they live on an island they're ignorant" no, they're well aware of other races, ethnicities and culture but like most of the world, they've been brainwashed by Hollywood and the entertainment system and culture we have in place that continues to push White people and and their culture into the forefront making people believe this is what's beautiful, and these are the people that are important. Media and pop culture controls everything, from what we wear, what music we listen and sub consciously to what we perceive as inferior or lesser and visa versa.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2016 4:14 PM

Dec 2012
21 said:
Kruszer said:
Animes off the top of my head that have white European characters or clearly have strong white European influence

Baccano!
Attack on Titan
Fullmetal Achemist
Monster
Gunslinger Girl
The Sky Crawlers
Claymore
Kuroshitsuji
Rose of Versailles
Gosick
Pandora hearts
Noir

I could keep going on and on, not to mention the countless anime that take place in setting with clear European influence and with characters that have blonde haire and blue eyes, or characters like the villain from sword of the stranger. So no, animes don't take place solely in Japan, nor are their characters only Japanese, and their setting/ and influence aren't only Japanese. They take a lot of inspiration, influence from European and white people and you can see it in countless anime. People want to give them as pass for not having any diversity in their anime simply because "oh they live on an island they're ignorant" no, they're well aware of other races, ethnicities and culture but like most of the world, they've been brainwashed by Hollywood and the entertainment system and culture we have in place that continues to push White people and and their culture into the forefront making people believe this is what's beautiful, and these are the people that are important. Media and pop culture controls everything, from what we wear, what music we listen and sub consciously to what we perceive as inferior or lesser and visa versa.

All of which has nothing to do with what I wrote in the post you quoted though, if you even read it. I said there's nothing wrong with a nation catering mostly to it's own audience and not worrying about entertaining the rest of the world too much. The Japanese fans are the ones that Japanese companies profit off of the most anyway.
KruszerJun 9, 2016 4:17 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 9, 2016 4:14 PM
Jun 2016
The thing is, anime usually takes place in Japan. Tokyo may be a bit ore diverse, but not all anime take place in Tokyo.
Jun 9, 2016 4:22 PM

Jun 2015
Representation is good but trying to force it, especially in a country like Japan where the vast majority of people are East Asian, is a dumb idea.
Jun 9, 2016 4:37 PM

Jul 2012

First off Baccano is just wrong, it's 1920s Chicago so it would be better to say it's an American influence. The fantasy ones are pure speculation based on ironically, stereotypes the thing you mentioned you don't want in your opening post.
The thing here is the post never said or even implied that anime doesn't take place outside of Japan. I mean amongst those examples you listed, Attack on Titan has some really strong Japanese characters despite taking place in Europe, Rose of Versaille falls under well known historical figures. Generally speaking you'll find about as many shows taking place in Eastern Asia, excluding Japan, as you do in say England, France, Italy, or Germany (which are the primary settings for European focused shows).
Because those are generally settings that you would find commonly used internationally as is, Japan would be no exception to that. Much like every other form of tv series though they want to advertise to the demographics available (which was the point of the post you quoted), the ones that will profit, not the sjw nonsense that gains no money or recognition.
Jun 9, 2016 4:39 PM
Aug 2015
its because minorities of color are so nonexistant in japan that sometimes people forget that there are even people who aren't white. I lived in japan for 1 year a while back and i might have seen 1 person who wasn't white(and i lived in tokyo). Nobody thinks about it over there. Since there basically isn't any people of color in japan why would japanese people be writing them in there stories, noone gives a shit about representation in japan because it doesn't affect anyone. Just take this thread to tumbler, where people actually care.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2016 5:26 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Uhmm, would you stop trying to culturally appropriate anime, a product of Japanese culture? Your privilege is showing. You can check it here.
Jun 9, 2016 6:45 PM

Sep 2011
Breaking the character limit will get you an instaban for anyone that decides to break it here despite being told not to.

Thread Cleaned
Jun 9, 2016 7:00 PM

Oct 2013
If there's anything Japan needs to work on in terms of diversity, it's not concerning minority races in America (Black people, Hispanics), it's concerning minority races in Japan (Chinese and Koreans, maybe other south-east Asians, and the Ainu). Also, colorism, because I can only name a handful of dark-skinned Japanese main or major supporting characters when there are plenty of dark-skinned Japanese people. This is kind of a huge problem across all Asian countries, btw, speaking as an Indian.

And honestly, I've seen more (well written/represented) white European/American characters than I've seen (well written/represented) Chinese characters. Hell, I've seen more Black characters in general than I've seen Koreans. This is even noted on tv tropes.

On a side note, don't call minorities outside of America and Britain "PoC". Pushing American race relations on foreign countries is Americenticism, and it's totally nonsensical and useless. Trust me, I'm on tumblr a lot, and that shit pisses me off so much.
Tpfang56Jun 9, 2016 7:07 PM
Jun 9, 2016 10:01 PM

Nov 2009
BatoKusanagi said:
Uhmm, would you stop trying to culturally appropriate anime, a product of Japanese culture? Your privilege is showing. You can check it here.

Because we don't believe in moral relativism?
BTW, I got Privileged (75) on the check. Do I have to start acting like an asshole now?
Anyway, I don't believe cultures should be put into zoos and reservations. That's something only nazis want. We should learn from each other, and take the good parts of every culture.
Jun 9, 2016 10:06 PM

May 2015
Japan is not the most diverse of countries, and it's cartoon characters, who cares?

Zapredon said:
BRB-kun said:

Pretty much this. No need for minorities.

You're(both) either racist or you're just (acting?) really really stupid (it's the ladder). Why would you NOT take the neutral ground

Edit: That is directed at the second part of both the quoted post, "multi-cultural cesspool", "no need for minorities", I'm pretty 99% sure you weren't trying to be racist but this is maybe the (second) worst possible answer. Everyone's gotta make a dumb social point, huh?
ashfrliebertJun 9, 2016 10:22 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 9, 2016 10:57 PM
Aug 2010
While most anime is made with Japanese people in mind (and that's ok with me), I understand your point of view: it would be cool for people of other races or nationalities to be represented in some way, since anime is popular around the world.
Honestly, apart from shows being set in Japan and the fact that characters speak Japanese, anime often relates to more than just Japanese people, so it works out. Actually, some anime are pretty diverse when you consider Japan's homogeneous population.
MikotobaJun 9, 2016 11:01 PM
まぁ、全部嘘だけどね。
Jun 9, 2016 11:50 PM

Aug 2008
Asian people themselves are underrepresented in Hollywood and western movies. Why should Japan bother represent minorities especially when anime is for niche market. To suit the minorities nationalists agenda/demand?

Beside, unlike in America, the minorities in Japan are Chinese and Korean. So when you speak of minorities, Japan probably think of Chinese and Korean, not black or Latin. Please don't apply America's logic to the Japanese. The world does not revolve around America.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_Japan#Demographic

Yuu Kamiya himself is Brazilian but Sora and Shiro are both Japanese.
ZapredonJun 10, 2016 1:56 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jun 10, 2016 7:22 AM

Jan 2013
21 said:
I would like to see an anime that takes places in South America, or an anime that has a black protagonist and he isn't a stereotype. I understand the Japanese are little narrow minded when it comes to that stuff but Tokyo is such an international city with lots of different people from different ethnicities and cultures, why does it feel like all anime has European influence, other than the obvious Japanese influence

96 % of Japan population are ethnically Japanese, then like 2 percent of Korean origin, some Chinese and then some others from Asian nations - of course, it is theoretically possible that you are of European origin, or African or whatever and still citizen of Japan, but all of those combined are less than approximately 0.1 % of Japan population.
Since majority of anime is taking place in Japan or are somehow Japanese culture influenced setting (if fantasy), even with multicultural thing they aren't into, they can say they represent from 96 to 99 percent of citizens of Japan. That's pretty good score.
Sure, there are anime sent in European-esque fantasy setting, but they are nigh exotic from Japanese POV and not really that numerous.

Actually, it is shocking how many girls in anime are blonde, all things considered. But they find it exotic and helps character to differentiate (and often falls to same category as pink or other unnatural ones)
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jun 10, 2016 7:23 AM

May 2015
flannan said:

Because we don't believe in moral relativism?
BTW, I got Privileged (75) on the check. Do I have to start acting like an asshole now?
Anyway, I don't believe cultures should be put into zoos and reservations. That's something only nazis want. We should learn from each other, and take the good parts of every culture.

I wouldn't say it's sight seeing or anything. I mean, the people are (good) parts of the culture.

edit: but honestly MAL talking about ethnics can only go horribly wrong. abandon ship while ahead.
ashfrliebertJun 10, 2016 7:35 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 10, 2016 7:36 AM

Nov 2014
Zapredon said:
Asian people themselves are underrepresented in Hollywood and western movies.

And they're not happy about that.

Asian-American Actors Are Fighting for Visibility

There would probably be similar groups comprised of white, black, hispanic, etc performers speaking out in Japan if there were more there.

It pisses me off how much the media has tainted the word "equality." It's being widely conflated with equality of outcome or forced equality. There are actually two types of equality: equality of outcome (equality based on racial, gender, etc demographics), and equality of opportunity (providing opportunities based on merit). I support the latter. If you have talent, you should be entitled to employment, but your race or gender shouldn't be the only determining factor.

Why should Japan bother represent minorities especially when anime is for niche market.

For one, it would give the stories more dimension. Take Fullmetal Alchemist, for example. One of the most fascinating things about that series is seeing the dynamic, contrasts, and similarities between the different cultures. It adds depth to the worldbuilding.

Frankly, I've been kind of bored with anime lately. It's mostly the same kind of characters, relationships, stories, locations (fucking high school), etc over and over again. I'd love to see more anime that leaves the classroom, shows different kinds of people, and tells more kinds of stories. There are no limits to animation, but these mediocre anime producers are stuck on playing the same damn notes.
Jun 10, 2016 7:56 AM

Oct 2014
21 said:
I would like to see an anime that takes places in South America, or an anime that has a black protagonist and he isn't a stereotype. I understand the Japanese are little narrow minded when it comes to that stuff but Tokyo is such an international city with lots of different people from different ethnicities and cultures, why does it feel like all anime has European influence, other than the obvious Japanese influence

Because the authors don't feel like doing so. It has been done, reminder that even SAO decided to use a black skinned person.

But this is just appearances. I don't find it troublesome at all.

BRB-kun said:

Holy shit these anti-SJW can't be this retarded and trigger-happy.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Jun 10, 2016 8:45 AM

Oct 2015
Let's be honest though, the average japanese mangaka or anime writer/director probably isn't going to be too well-versed in other cultures, especially the ones of regions that Japan has more limited interaction with (such as South America or Africa).

So making these people write stories in these settings is probably going to produce manga and anime that is full of misinformation and sterotypes, making the push for diversity backfire.

And there's quite a few shows already with prominent characters who are part of a "racial minority", like Black Lagoon and Baccano.
Jun 10, 2016 10:21 AM

May 2015
No one has an obligation to represent a minority.

Sure, if you have black or disfigured or crippled people portray they fairly. Don't rely on cheap stereotypes. Portray them like you would any other character - a deeply flawed human.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 10, 2016 11:03 AM

Jun 2016
Uhm, there is plenty of Europe culture and white representation in anime. Apart from English they toss in German in a lot of anime which tells me they have mad respect for Europe. Besides all the characters 80% of the time look pretty white to me, not to mention eye color and hair color. So I guess it's easier for me to relate to the protagonists cos they are making them whitish. So I could understand why ppl would like to see more of their color or culture in anime, but I don't think it will happen...
Jun 10, 2016 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
This is a little off topic, but what's with the whole "of color" crap? Like saying people of color is the polite way of saying it but god forbid you say colored people.
Jun 10, 2016 11:15 AM

Apr 2016
BatoKusanagi said:

Checked.

Haha! I got extremely oppressed. I'm anything but that. Is it a website that takes itself seriously or is it satirical? If it's serious I believe it's something that is designed for people from US, Canada and the likes, not that it makes it any less ridiculous.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Jun 10, 2016 11:27 AM

Mar 2016
There are a strange amount of "ask Japanese people on the street what they think of black/-(x) minority people" videos on youtube. The SJWs move slowly, but they move.
Jun 10, 2016 11:29 AM
Feb 2014
Nicholaevich said:
This is a little off topic, but what's with the whole "of color" crap? Like saying people of color is the polite way of saying it but god forbid you say colored people.

"People of Color" itself is a racist term. White SJWs spout this all the damn time. Like minorities are their babies and products of their attempts to seem progressive, all the while being the oppressors all along. Take it from an actual minority right here (I'm Korean and holy shit I'm laughing at some of the people ITT infantilizing the Koreans), and I like how when liberals reply to me they force me to acknowledge my "cultural" disenfranchisement. No, I don't want to be the child of a cuck or a a trigglypuff.

KoreaWS said:

Because anime is the last medium to be corrupted by the SJW types. I mean, the American anime industry has done two of the following things in recent times which was

1). Drop a Gamergate reference in the Prison School dub

2). Anime Expo has imposed "safe spaces" innocuously designed to look like places for lost children, but we all know reality is, children don't go to these conventions and they likely don't get lost. So of course this is just stealthy advancement of their agenda to have others abuse this place for "oppression."

How would you feel if people bastardized something you love? Like, if your favorite installment of a comic were done in a way that made it seem completely out of line and bent the way someone else would do it, just to fit their agenda. I guess being "open-minded" about it is the only way you'd pretend to tolerate it just out of complete fear of being tormented by the vocals for stating your true opinions.
AqutanJun 10, 2016 11:32 AM
Jun 10, 2016 11:33 AM
Dec 2015
TiaDee said:

Then please by all means buy a ticket to Japan and tell 'em that, see if they care.

^^ this wins. Also, my thoughts exactly.
Jun 10, 2016 11:46 AM

Dec 2015
You probably never saw any Anime World Masterpiece Theater series?
Jun 10, 2016 12:44 PM

Jun 2016
Nicholaevich said:

Idk mate, I personally try as much as I can not to trigger anyone cos I rly don't want some crazy ass person coming down at me with all their terms and "knowledge". I think everyone in their right mind just wants to stay out of that so people play along with the terms.
Jun 10, 2016 12:52 PM

Sep 2012
#GreenHairLivesMatter

#PinkHairLivesMatter

The real anime color minorities.
Jun 10, 2016 1:10 PM

Mar 2015
There was a Nigerian in Kuroko no Basuke Season 1!
Jun 10, 2016 1:16 PM

Oct 2014
The_Nico said:

KoreaWS said:

Because anime is the last medium to be corrupted by the SJW types.

So fucking what? The "corruption" is aesthetical and even if it affects the story, plot and characters people would notice how retarded it is and drop the shows. SJW logic is bad but anti-SJW are as stupid if not more.

I mean, the American anime industry has done two of the following things in recent times which was

FUCKING AMERICAN THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JAPAN, THE MARKET ANIME CATERS TO. YOU SHOULDN'T ALREADY CARE ABOUT THESE PETTY STUFF AS IT DOESN'T HURTS THE MEDIUM AT ALL.

1). Drop a Gamergate reference in the Prison School dub

Which is one line. One fucking line of one bigot that doesn't cares about otakus. That's all. If you let that one line get to you, is because you're getting offended. You got triggered.

2). Anime Expo has imposed "safe spaces" innocuously designed to look like places for lost children, but we all know reality is, children don't go to these conventions and they likely don't get lost. So of course this is just stealthy advancement of their agenda to have others abuse this place for "oppression."

So parents don't get their children to expos now? And you give this fuss for ONE area in the entire con, that in no way should ruin your enjoyment, and if it eventually does, it would clearly be perjudical to the expo and as such is hard to believe they will allow it to expand further? And you're telling me that if things don't escalate further, people that aren't even anti-SJW won't call it out, as if everyone but you were dumb?

How would you feel if people bastardized something you love? Like, if your favorite installment of a comic were done in a way that made it seem completely out of line and bent the way someone else would do it, just to fit their agenda.

Ecchi and moe, and otaku culture in general, has already bastardized anime enough, to fit their money-making agendas, thank you very much. SJW getting in here is a small issue in comparison.

I guess being "open-minded" about it is the only way you'd pretend to tolerate it just out of complete fear of being tormented by the vocals for stating your true opinions.

Wanna hear my true opinions? Anti-SJW are as retarded as SJW, both giving too much importance. I can only state that beign openminded, unlike your close-minded kin.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Jun 10, 2016 1:17 PM

Sep 2009
Lmao Japanese have no interest in such things, so why bother? It's like asking a bar to start selling cake.
"Is there not enough cakes of delicious cream represented in bar menus?"
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 10, 2016 1:30 PM
Dec 2014
Amero99 said:

Quote for truth. Who knows, maybe one day there will be a mangaka / novelist who will one day write a story where it is relevant to the plot.

As a TCK, I view diversity as a good thing. But Japan isn't a diverse country, I see no reason to force diversity in an entertainment medium that usually takes place in Japan anyway.

Radzeer said:
Oh really. Try to get lost in a rural area in Fukuoka and try to get help to find your lodging. You'll see how much they love whites.

Eh, it's probably not going to be that bad. Chances are, if you are unable to communicate is that they apologise, use their body language to signal that they are not able to help, and make their escape. I think it is fair to say that most do not *hate* foreigners. Some do, others may be afraid, but generally you will be treated appropriately.. as long as you don't do like this guy anyway ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsdSTY6Y-rs
Jun 10, 2016 1:37 PM

Dec 2015
Helenus said:
There was a Nigerian in Kuroko no Basuke Season 1!

Ah! I think you're talking about Papa Mybai Siki lol (Papa Mybaye) I'm not sure though
He's from Senegal not Nigeria though, but he's still from an african country so LET'S JUST HOPE THIS SATISFIES THE OP
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 10, 2016 1:46 PM

Dec 2015
21 said:

Sigh

As one stated, demading Japanese people to add those of "minority" in Anime is comparable to going to Nigeria and demanding white people and asains in their nollywood movies. They are still people outside of that of Nigeria that watches and buys nollywood movies (Nollywood movies are a widespread in western countries just like how Anime is favoured in America), but that is a very small fraction. The demography that nollywood movies target are specifically that of nigerian people. The people that watches nollywood movies in western countries are an exceedingly small fraction in contrast to those that watch nollywood movies in Nigeria.

Anime is no exception.

You might as well complain to a Nigerian person that they need to add a huge white and asain cast in their nigerian movies.
Why yu gettin' cheeky? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 10, 2016 1:57 PM

Feb 2015
it probably has something to do with how they portray blacks. Lots of lip and just too damn dark, just look at popo from dbz.
Jun 10, 2016 4:09 PM

May 2016
I feel like Anime has no race, I at least do not think of the characters portrayed as belonging to a specific race, unless it is clearly implied, for i.e. FMA = German, or it playing in a specific Country.

Also I do not see why you have to be so passive-aggressive and call them "little narrow minded" for not populating their stories with people of different races. Sometimes it just doesn't fit the story or the tone.

How many creators are there? Countless, just because the majority of them in your opinion hasn't told stories that play in South America or elsewhere, doesn't make them narrow-minded.

If at all, it makes you narrow-minded because you don't realize that those storytellers, producers, screenwriters, manga artists etc. who've grown up in Japan clearly surrounded by Japanese culture and influenced by the producers, directors, manga artists who came before them are less likely to tell stories that take place in for example South America BECAUSE they do NOT KNOW South America and have never been in touch much with its culture.

TL;DR: Anime/Manga artists who've grown up in Japan are less likely to tell stories that take place in South America because they have not grown up in South America simple as that. If it makes someone narrow-minded it is you.

PS: ALSO if you so much want to read stories about other places with South American people, READ South American fiction? Watch South American TV Shows? Or become a Manga Artist yourself and create stories that you want to read?

Stop calling people narrow-minded just because they do not cater to your personal taste. It makes you look like a troll who just wants to get a reaction out of people, which in turn makes you look like a fool.
TippitakJun 10, 2016 4:13 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - 3 hours ago

12 by shin0by »»
35 seconds ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 23 minutes ago

4 by EastIndiaCompany »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 49 minutes ago

12 by Zimmu »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 15 minutes ago

0 by Absurdo_N »»
15 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 3 hours ago

9 by Rhaelynne »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.