Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 11, 2016 10:03 AM

Jul 2015
Aku no Hana took an already awesome manga and made it better in my opinion. The art in the anime is controversial but I like it better than the art in the manga, which is nothing special.

Jun 11, 2016 10:04 AM

Sep 2015
Hunter X Hunter manga looked like it was drawn by kids, amazing still
Jun 11, 2016 1:26 PM

Jun 2016
One Punch Man

Great as a Manga but Better as an Anime...
Jun 11, 2016 3:09 PM
Dec 2013
Yu Yu Hakusho. The manga has these weird chapters towards the beginning and towards the end of the manga, which the anime thankfully didn't adapt. The manga also has Yusuke's mother appear throughout, which makes it awkward, unlike the anime where she appears occasionally. The anime shows fights that, while it occurred in the manga, wasn't shown in the manga. The anime also adds this amusing banter between Koenma and George which happens throughout. The anime has a better ending than the manga too.

The only real thing I'm annoyed about in the anime is making Kuwabara fall in love with Botan for awhile, which didn't happen in the manga and would've preferred it that way. I'm also irritated by the anime censoring out Yusuke smoking cigarettes, as well as some gory moments like when Kuro Momotaro cut his fingers off with Hiei's sword, but the anime censoring it to him just slashing his arm. But overall, anime is still better than the manga.
wildhoodJun 11, 2016 4:48 PM
Jun 11, 2016 3:33 PM

Oct 2015
I personally like haikyuu, one punch man , and yu yu hakusho more in anime form.
Too kawaii to live, too mahou shoujo to die >:D
Jun 11, 2016 4:02 PM

Jun 2013
Lotus24 said:
Aku no Hana took an already awesome manga and made it better in my opinion. The art in the anime is controversial but I like it better than the art in the manga, which is nothing special.

I could agree with you except that the anime had really bad pacing and just had a different feeling than the manga,in my opinion, the anime tried to hard to be creepy while in the manga it just felt naturally creepy
Jun 11, 2016 4:05 PM

Sep 2014
EVERY SINGLE ONE Light Novel adaptation.
Jun 11, 2016 4:06 PM

Jul 2015
- K-ON
- Nichijou
- Clannad
- Shigatsu
- One-Punch Man

Jun 11, 2016 4:11 PM

Oct 2013
Nobunaga Concerto

This was much more entertaining in anime form because of music and voice acting. Jokes were even funnier because of the VA's and timing of it. Awesome anime an I read whatever was translated before watching the anime so yh muh fuka!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 11, 2016 4:11 PM
Feb 2014
honestly I can't imagine initial D without the flow of drifting cars and EUROBEAT, so there's that.
Jun 11, 2016 4:15 PM

Sep 2015
shigatsu wa kimi no uso. I mean, it's about music, you need to hear it if you want to feel this story.
Jun 11, 2016 4:17 PM

Aug 2010
id say any well done action/fighting anime is typically better than its source. Action is better animated than in comic form. So some examples would be: FMA, hajime no ippo and HxH.

as for non-action centered shows, i know shin sekai yori is better than its manga counterpart. The manga has way more fanservice for no reason.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jun 11, 2016 4:28 PM
Jan 2012
Black Cat probably, the anime added 1 more art and did close some plot holes that the manga left, and also I would say Rokka no yuusha anime did a better job than the first volume of the novel really sad that it was only 13 episodes the history is really good.
Jun 11, 2016 4:30 PM

Nov 2013
Manga is a type of literature I don't quite understand well, so it makes no sense to me to say if a manga adaptation is better than not. For instance I like the Aria series better than the manga. But that's because it has music and the pacing is well defined.
Me not getting the pacing right may be my fault so it's stupid to claim the manga doesn't do it well.

But for visual novels for instance, I haven't seen any adapation that's better than the source material.

Anime in general are just more spoon fed, it's easier.
Jun 11, 2016 4:51 PM

Oct 2013
I would say Shinsekai Yori, definitely.
Jun 11, 2016 5:26 PM

Apr 2013
Nato__Ren said:

The op is asking for anime better than the original, not the contrary.

lunaticsrus said:

as for non-action centered shows, i know shin sekai yori is better than its manga counterpart. The manga has way more fanservice for no reason.

Aelyth said:
I would say Shinsekai Yori, definitely.

Original material are the novels, the manga is a shitty adaptation.

Elliscg said:
and also I would say Rokka no yuusha anime did a better job than the first volume of the novel really sad that it was only 13 episodes the history is really good.

While RnY is one of the best novel adaptation (and one of the most faithful ) of those last years, they still messed up a few times, so no, the first volume of the novels is still above.
ZefyrisJun 11, 2016 5:29 PM
Jun 11, 2016 6:03 PM

Feb 2007
Elliscg said:
Black Cat probably, the anime added 1 more art and did close some plot holes that the manga left

Really, you'll go with Black Cat, the most horrible butchering of the source material in existence that screwed up character relationships, turned the good guys into villains, and added a completely unnecessary end that made no sense at all? Oh, and killed an important character off before we even got to meet them...
Jun 11, 2016 6:59 PM

Jan 2011
EmperorQ said:
Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood i'm gonna guess

The whole point of it was to follow closely to the original source, except it's animated if you count the animation part then sure...
Jun 11, 2016 7:38 PM

Apr 2015
Glad to see the image I stitched together is being used for a proper cause.
Jun 11, 2016 8:08 PM

Jan 2011
I'll give my 2 cents, but it depends on what "better" means..

If it means an anime expanding on it's source material and doing a great job on it, then I don't think anything beats: http://myanimelist.net/anime/44/Rurouni_Kenshin__Meiji_Kenkaku_Romantan_-_Tsuioku-hen

In the manga, it was merely a side-story of the past, spanning a few chapters, but turned into THAT

If means an anime that surpassed it's source material by being different/diverging from it, there are not many that diverge heavily, but one obvious one comes to mind: FMA, I personally find it to have surpassed the source material in some ways, although not strictly better.
Jun 11, 2016 8:16 PM
Sep 2015
I dont know. I didn't read manga. Haha
Jun 11, 2016 8:33 PM

Sep 2013
Mahou Sensou, all thanks to madhouse's quality touch.
Jun 11, 2016 9:31 PM

Sep 2014
Zefyris said:
Nato__Ren said:

English is not my mother language, boy. Sorry about it. I meant: "Every anime version of a LN".
Jun 11, 2016 9:46 PM

Mar 2015
i don't know why people prising OPM... it seriously lost it touch for me.. the experimental sketch feelings story totaly lost... O_o
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 12, 2016 1:04 AM

Jan 2016
doom19876 said:
Manga is a type of literature I don't quite understand well, so it makes no sense to me to say if a manga adaptation is better than not. For instance I like the Aria series better than the manga. But that's because it has music and the pacing is well defined.
Me not getting the pacing right may be my fault so it's stupid to claim the manga doesn't do it well.

But for visual novels for instance, I haven't seen any adapation that's better than the source material.

Altough i liked the adaptation i still consider the manga slightly better but it's my opinion.
Probably it's because they adapted the last encounter with Cait Sith only as a flashback in Aria The Avvenire and they didn't show the first encounter of Aika and Al.
Jun 12, 2016 1:15 AM

Jun 2015
doom19876 said:

Of course, anime automatically do some things better than the manga. Animation, music, color, etc. are things that a manga will never have therefore the anime would be better in this department.
But it doesn't mean jack shit if the story and characters in the anime are butchered. Take for example, Tokyo Ghoul. The story in the manga is very well written, but the anime did not follow the manga and therefore its storyline is shit, making the anime inferior, assuming that you're a person who prioritizes story over animation.
Jun 12, 2016 1:22 AM

Mar 2015
The first half of the original SAO. SAO is still bad, but the novels for the first half are absolute garbage.
Jun 12, 2016 1:51 AM

Mar 2008
I'm honestly one of those people who very often thinks that the original source is better than the adaption, but that is because if I am very interested in a certain work I'll usually check out both and then continue with whatever I prefer..

Anyway, I personally love the Natsume Yuujinchou series and the anime adaption is really GREAT.
I also love the Aria anime, but I think both the source as well as the anime are pretty much tied. Thing is, the anime is in color and has a lovely soundtrack/voice acting as well, and the emotional scenes are arguably more impactful.
I checked out the Haikyuu manga and I thought the anime was way more captivating and kept me entertained more.
Shingeki no Kyojin's anime was awesome, at least aesthetically. It has been a long time since I've checked out the manga of it but I can still remember that the drawings are quite 'rough'.
I read 3 1/2 out of 4 novels of the Toshokan Sensou series and I came to the conclusion that the anime adaption is wonderful. They included every important scene and even added scenes that made the whole series more enjoyable, the characters are totally on point as well. What I first 'complained' about in the anime series was actually part of the novel as well (as far as I can recall)

Oh and also Nodame Cantanabile. I mean it is a series focused on (classical) music, and the manga just can't portray that very important aspect (even if the manga is good as well).
There are probably a lot more anime that I forgot to mention, but this is what I can think of at the top of my head
Vanessa-Jun 12, 2016 2:04 AM
Jun 12, 2016 1:55 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Gintama, K-On, Usagi Drop, most music-oriented series like Nodame Cantabile, Shigatsu no Kimi no Uso and Sakamichi no Apollon. Arguably One Punch Man as well. Think I slightly preferred NGNL as an anime too, at least for what it covered
Jun 12, 2016 1:59 AM

Aug 2010
Revolutianary girl Utena anime was much better than manga
Yu Yu Hakusho
Jun 12, 2016 2:02 AM

Nov 2010
Yuru Yuri (First two seasons)
Aria series (Tough call but maybe it is.)

Hopefully Amanchu (Summer anime)
Jun 12, 2016 2:04 AM

Jul 2014
Planetes and Full moon wo sagashite definitely
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

Jun 12, 2016 3:19 AM

Apr 2013
Nato__Ren said:
Zefyris said:

English is not my mother language, boy. Sorry about it. I meant: "Every anime version of a LN".

English isn't mine either, so don't worry about that on an international forum :).
same answer to same meaning (?).
OP is asking which adaptation is better than the original. As anyone knows, pretty much all novels are far (FAR) superior to their butchered anime adaptation version. So answering "every single LN adaptation" would only make sense if the OP was asking "what are the anime adaptation that aren't as good as their source material", for example.

Oh, and PS : chances are high I'm older than you :].
Jun 12, 2016 4:09 AM

Jun 2015
Zefyris said:
Nato__Ren said:

English isn't mine either, so don't worry about that on an international forum :).
OP is asking which adaptation is better than the original. As anyone knows, pretty much all novels are far (FAR) superior to their butchered anime adaptation version. So answering "every single LN adaptation" would only make sense if the OP was asking "what are the anime adaptation that aren't as good as their source material", for example.

I think he was being serious when he meant that a lot of anime based on LN are better than the original source. It's just preference, I guess.
Jun 12, 2016 4:20 AM

Apr 2013
ixaa said:
Zefyris said:

I think he was being serious when he meant that a lot of anime based on LN are better than the original source. It's just preference, I guess.

Nah, he doesn't have a single LN listed as read in his list, and not a single anime originally from a LN rated above 7 (and some as low as 3-4).
It's quite clear that he does not enjoy anime adaptation of LN, and that since he doesn't seem to be especially reading LLN, he can only have received knowledge from others on that point, which means "anime are not as good as their LN source" as this is a widely accepted fact around here.
Jun 12, 2016 4:39 AM

Nov 2014
Hunter x Hunter (2011), this adaptation is gold. And every music-based manga like Shigatsu and Nodame.
Jun 12, 2016 4:43 AM
Jul 2014
All anime are better than the source
Jun 12, 2016 4:50 AM

Jul 2015
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge. The voice acting is excellent. The music fits the mood very well. The comedic timing works. The art is very pleasant and the animation is good enough. The redesigned school is very lovely compared to the generic one in the manga. It shuffles and skips some chapters, but not in a way that would be harmful to the story.
Jun 12, 2016 6:30 AM
Mar 2012
ConnorEP said:
Shoukegi no soma had an excellent adaption literally panel by panel, hmm also hunter x hunter anime is better, the mushishi anime was captivating it brought the world to life a lot better than the manga did

I would argue that SnS is maybe AS good as the manga, but not better. The art is just more impressive in a manga format and there is less wasted time on fanservice, in the manga it's nearly always a comedic moment kind of thing, the anime tends to just linger on breasts too long which is more tedious than funny and makes the show drag just a bit. It's a really good adaption but if I were going to rereach or rewatch the series I would reread it.

RedRoseFring said:
Most anime series tend to be better actually. They offer more than the manga ever could and enhance enjoyment and clarity. This is of course considering series that follow the source closely for the most part.

Till this day, I am yet to see any adequate defense for manga. The one thing that is always mentioned is that you can control your pace.

I mean the defence is easy right? Manga tend to do more with art style than anime - XXXholic looks far better as a manga than it does as an anime. You get better control of pace as you said and less filler and fluff which can often drag down the series. Sometimes fluff adds, sometimes it detracts, it usually depends on how serious the series is meant to be.

Anime adaptions often flatten the original source if they are made to appeal to the widest audience possible too - see shows like Tokyo Ghoul and Noragami where the manga characters feel far more interesting than their anime counterparts. In TG's case actually seeing the action scenes are a detriment because they aren't animated that well and don't have the same sense of distorted violence.

I feel like these arguments must have come up before...you spoke about following a series closely and assuming the manga does that doesn't mean that it will end up creating the same tone as the original. Plus anime are designed to work in 12/14 episode chunks so if the manga doesn't conform to that you are going to get awkward cut off points which you don't get in anime for the most part.
Jun 12, 2016 12:00 PM

Aug 2010
Excel Saga
Cromartie High
Gintama (The art of the manga was really horrid starting off, and some pre-episode skits are amazing )
Signatures Suck
Jun 12, 2016 12:27 PM

Aug 2008
For now, I'd say B Gata H Kei. I haven't read the manga entirely because I got bored at some point (I don't like the art or the way the scenes are put into place /as in technically speaking). I got the impression the anime was better. If anything it, I enjoyed it much more.
鳥はとぶ時
つばさでとぶが
あなたはとぶ時
何でとぶのですか?
Terayama Shuji
Jun 12, 2016 12:59 PM

Jan 2014
Kreion said:

RedRoseFring said:
Most anime series tend to be better actually. They offer more than the manga ever could and enhance enjoyment and clarity. This is of course considering series that follow the source closely for the most part.

Till this day, I am yet to see any adequate defense for manga. The one thing that is always mentioned is that you can control your pace.

I mean the defence is easy right? Manga tend to do more with art style than anime - XXXholic looks far better as a manga than it does as an anime. You get better control of pace as you said and less filler and fluff which can often drag down the series. Sometimes fluff adds, sometimes it detracts, it usually depends on how serious the series is meant to be.

Anime adaptions often flatten the original source if they are made to appeal to the widest audience possible too - see shows like Tokyo Ghoul and Noragami where the manga characters feel far more interesting than their anime counterparts. In TG's case actually seeing the action scenes are a detriment because they aren't animated that well and don't have the same sense of distorted violence.

I feel like these arguments must have come up before...you spoke about following a series closely and assuming the manga does that doesn't mean that it will end up creating the same tone as the original. Plus anime are designed to work in 12/14 episode chunks so if the manga doesn't conform to that you are going to get awkward cut off points which you don't get in anime for the most part.

That works if art is what you are primarily concerned about with a story. In the worst cases, the differences may be easily picked out, but most of the time it doesn't hinder the flow of the story much, so it tends to be a minor issue considering everything else supplied by the anime.

Filler can be skipped if it bothers you too much, and fluff doesn't detract much unless at the absolute worst. In those cases, the manga is usually partially guilty of fluff as well.

Unfortunately, I can't speak for Tokyo Ghoul or Noragami, but if the issue is that it excluded important parts of the manga, then that is a different thing because the comparison is being made when both mediums cover the same material.
TG must be absolutely atrocious then, because for just about every other series I've watched, even if the animation is wonky, it is still much better than the corresponding mangas, adding clarity, colour, motion, and sound. Pain vs Naruto could be an example of that, because even at its worst it was still more engaging than reading off a still page, and that was only for a portion of the fight with most of it being great.

The 12 episode cours thing is pretty silly, but then again I don't follow new series until they've established themselves, and most that do so go on to 24 episodes or beyond.
Even then, I am sure that for the material they do adapt, it would be better than the manga just by virtue of everything else it provides.
All that has been added to the manga side is art and no fillers/fluff (which aren't issues that typically affect experience as much or when dealt with), and possibly different tone which I have not seen happen for any series........yet. The anime still provides overwhelmingly more pluses; colour, motion, clarity, voices, soundtrack, emotional enhancement. It operates on two planes (visual and auditory) while manga is limited to one.
RedRoseFringJun 12, 2016 1:03 PM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 12, 2016 1:33 PM
Jul 2012
Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)

Hunter X Hunter (1999)
Jun 12, 2016 3:11 PM

Nov 2013
ixaa said:
doom19876 said:

Of course, anime automatically do some things better than the manga. Animation, music, color, etc. are things that a manga will never have therefore the anime would be better in this department.
But it doesn't mean jack shit if the story and characters in the anime are butchered. Take for example, Tokyo Ghoul. The story in the manga is very well written, but the anime did not follow the manga and therefore its storyline is shit, making the anime inferior, assuming that you're a person who prioritizes story over animation.

I disagree, you CAN make manga with colour. You're also forced vocals/music with anime. You can always add your own music with manga.
I don't think you should judge manga based on the music they're lacking. For instance if you have something with bad animation, I'd prefer it without, like in manga. Atleast then I can use my imagination to make it proper.
Jun 12, 2016 4:14 PM

Jun 2015
doom19876 said:
ixaa said:

I disagree, you CAN make manga with colour. You're also forced vocals/music with anime. You can always add your own music with manga.
I don't think you should judge manga based on the music they're lacking. For instance if you have something with bad animation, I'd prefer it without, like in manga. Atleast then I can use my imagination to make it proper.

I guess it just all comes down to preference. ALso, some of my favorite manga (they're generally webmangas) are in color, though the vast majority of manga are never in full color.
Jun 13, 2016 3:04 AM

Jan 2016
I heard that the Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo anime is better than its original source. But I only read the ending of the LN instead of reading the whole LN.
At least justify your opinions instead of just saying "it's my opinion". It would've been more polite.

Jun 13, 2016 4:19 AM
Mar 2012
RedRoseFring said:

That works if art is what you are primarily concerned about with a story. In the worst cases, the differences may be easily picked out, but most of the time it doesn't hinder the flow of the story much, so it tends to be a minor issue considering everything else supplied by the anime.

Filler can be skipped if it bothers you too much, and fluff doesn't detract much unless at the absolute worst. In those cases, the manga is usually partially guilty of fluff as well.

Unfortunately, I can't speak for Tokyo Ghoul or Noragami, but if the issue is that it excluded important parts of the manga, then that is a different thing because the comparison is being made when both mediums cover the same material.
TG must be absolutely atrocious then, because for just about every other series I've watched, even if the animation is wonky, it is still much better than the corresponding mangas, adding clarity, colour, motion, and sound. Pain vs Naruto could be an example of that, because even at its worst it was still more engaging than reading off a still page, and that was only for a portion of the fight with most of it being great.

The 12 episode cours thing is pretty silly, but then again I don't follow new series until they've established themselves, and most that do so go on to 24 episodes or beyond.
Even then, I am sure that for the material they do adapt, it would be better than the manga just by virtue of everything else it provides.
All that has been added to the manga side is art and no fillers/fluff (which aren't issues that typically affect experience as much or when dealt with), and possibly different tone which I have not seen happen for any series........yet. The anime still provides overwhelmingly more pluses; colour, motion, clarity, voices, soundtrack, emotional enhancement. It operates on two planes (visual and auditory) while manga is limited to one.

Art is a big part of my enjoyment of anime - it has a right to be considering anime is a visual medium and should never be dismissed out of hand. It's not about if it's an 'issue' or not, it's about which is more effective. I would argue that most of the adaptions which I have seen are not as good at using the art style to its advantages and create a weaker tone than the original, there are exceptions like Mushishi and Usagi Drop, but I would argue manga is generally more open to experimentation than anime because it inherantly has less risk behind it.

If something has to be skipped, it's a detriment to the series, not all filler is equal but series which drag out an otherwise good adaption are weaker if there is filler which is inappropriate.

The thing is TG and Noragami don't exclude parts so much as they flatten them - which nearly all adaptions do since very few are 1/1 adaptions. In fact literally the only example I can think of is Hyouka, which is a novel and the anime is basically a carbon copy of it. Even if they are covering the same material anime are subject to time constraints and such so will often cut important parts, at times they will even replace this with filler, this is part of the cons of being an anime and again should not be dismissed.

See I disagree - because the fight scenes in TG and many other series are often not about the fight, but about what they are fighting over. Simply put, anime is too clean for a lot of the more brutal fight scenes or other violent scenes in manga - black and white serves them better because it emphasizes the disparity. When someone is cut open in a manga and a sea of black is shot across the panel I would argue that is a more effective use off imagery than if that same image were in colour, because you get too many colours and red is often too vivid. This may just be personal preference though, I can appreciate the skills of the individual artist more than I can the anime, again because they often look far too clean imo. I think this comes across most in really climactic or impactful scenes where the art in the manga just outshines the art in the anime. Again I focus on art because I tend to consider it an important part of any series.

I can see your arguments but there are still many series which I would always re-read over rewatch because I enjoy the experience more. Perhaps a part of it is if I watch the series I have to watch it at their pace, if I read it then it's my own pace.
Jun 13, 2016 6:05 AM

May 2015
RedRoseFring said:

But you don't get a more important benefit. See: One Piece, Naruto, Hunter X Hunter(faithful, though) Monster(Faithful, again) and especially Dragon Ball Z. It makes quite a huge difference. The pacing of those series is the main complaint, and that's the fix.

Anyway, not sure why we're comparing comic books to animation.

The case for it is obviously not exactly like literature(the benefits of which is pretty obvious), but there's two obvious benefits. The one I mentioned and still the "imagination" part, panels obviously give more room for imagination than animation (some vs none).

Animation biggest strength is most obviously sound and active visuals. Obviously though, some anime stray from their original source and that can easily be for the better..or worse. Same with manga.

KannaAyasaki said:
Hunter x Hunter (2011), this adaptation is gold. And every music-based manga like Shigatsu and Nodame.

The biggest advantage the manga has over this one is pretty damn obvious, great example. One's ongoing. ayy lmao

ashfrliebertJun 13, 2016 6:19 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 13, 2016 6:14 AM

Oct 2013
i would have to say attack on titan. i mean the manga, though it has a good story has thick and rough art style to it while the anime is quite beautiful with its art style
Jun 13, 2016 6:20 AM
Dec 2015
Neon Genesis Evangelion(anime is original but in Eva's case Anime>Manga), The Tatami Galaxy, Your lie in april(you can't hear the fucking music in the manga)
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9068 by animeboilolz »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

91 by Zarutaku »»
19 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

48 by Styx_Thistle »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 12 hours ago

24 by Spunkert »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

15 by Spunkert »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.