Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 23, 2013 4:42 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The big reveal. And huge it is indeed! So now I understand why the Elric borthers are needed as a sacrifice. And maybe Izumi Curtis too, since she's seen the Truth...

The resistance to Wrath and the Homunculi needed a strong badass inside person. And I think they have it in General Armstrong.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 20, 2013 12:01 PM

May 2009
awesome episode
Dec 3, 2013 4:22 PM

Oct 2013
and the truth comes out
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 27, 2013 6:19 PM

Jul 2013
dayum. I love Mustang and Hawkeye's relationship. they understand each other perfectly.

epic episode. this sure explained a lot.
Dec 28, 2013 12:02 PM

May 2013
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHH!!!!! TEOFRASTUS BOMBASTUS XDDD

I'm glad Izumi can breathe more easily now though :)

I'd say the original is usually better, so Hohenheim > Father
Mar 9, 2014 7:24 PM
May 2013
i cried when he couldn't find any mayo
Mar 20, 2014 6:52 PM

Jun 2011
Wow.. so what was the furball before it became the furball after receiving Hhh's blood? How can it have a will of it's own, and who was performing an experiment on the slaves like Hhh, and what kind of experiment, how can it be smarter than Hhh if it was created with Hhh's blood, and so on..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 16, 2014 7:55 PM

Jan 2012
Awesome. Finally the Truth!
Apr 22, 2014 12:14 AM
Apr 2014
I would just like to say that I've been following FMA from the 1st adaptation and read up to this point in this manga - that is, before the Van Hohenheim + Father reveal. The background of Hohenheim's life was pretty insightful and now we know how "Father" came into being. I'm a bit curious though about how "the little one in the jar" (or whatever it's called) came about - yes we know that Hohenheim's blood was a part of it, but seems more intense than the experiments that Wrath and co. went through.

Other than that, <3 Roy x Riza and their communication skills. I was quite excited to see this part animated, but saddened that it was covered briefly. And I still giggle at the Engrish of the message - "Selim Bradley is Homunculus" - or perhaps it's not? (As in, there's no article before homunculus so is he "a" homunculus or THE homunculus?) Hmm...
May 13, 2014 12:11 AM

Jul 2013
The start of this episode was perfect! So perfect that I really wish Ed and Al weren't the protagonists. Hawkeye and Mustang's exchange of information was absolutely brilliant. And General Armstrong is such an outstanding person, I've heard that she isn't in FMA, that would probably be the only reason that I would like FMA:B better.

I was really suprised when Hohenheim mentioned the "all is one" philosophy about alchemy. I have a feeling Izumi plays a very large roll in all of this.

This whole epsiode was just fantastic. I'm really glad we were finally shown that the father and Ed & Al's dad aren't the same person. The back story was really well done.

I really loved that at the ending clip Ed was talking about not wanting to see a bigger philosophers stone and then a clip of Hohenheim is shown, a living philosophers stone.

So the father is after immortality? Is his body wearing out? Wow, I'm finally getting immersed into the story. The sad moment when I realise I'll have to go back to watching some twelvies doing their thing.
anime-catMay 13, 2014 12:16 AM
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Jun 9, 2014 2:20 AM

Apr 2012
great episode

Scary how Hawkeye is being monitored, but she manages to leak information out to Roy.

lots of reveals in the flashback. The origins of Ed's dad, Hohenheim's doppelganger (aka the Father of the homonculi), and the extinction of the Xerxes civilization.

Jun 10, 2014 4:10 AM

Aug 2013
They finally explained what happened in Xerxes, definitely cleared up some things. Hohenheim was a human then turned into an immortal. I thought he was some kind of experiment produced by Father. Turns out he actually "produced" the present Father. Which makes me wonder...how the heck was Homunculus, the thing inside the flask, created?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 11, 2014 3:44 AM

Jan 2012
Loved it! I always love ancient backstories and this one was fascinating. Hohenheim was a cute slave. I can't wait to see him fight someone - it'll probably be Homunculus. Two personified stones fighting booya

Though I hope there's some explanation for how Homunculus himself came to be. You always want to know the origin of the origin.
Sep 25, 2014 11:05 PM

Jan 2014
The origin of all things.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 26, 2014 5:14 PM

Dec 2013
Love this episode especially Hawkeye and Mustang's part. I was a bit surprised when Hohenheim suddenly hit Izumi, but oh well. I finally know what's with Hohenheim

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Dec 30, 2014 2:41 PM
May 2012
Morse code, huh. Might come in handy......I must learn it someday.
Hohenheim's story, huh. Well, I found it to be really interesting. I knew Hohenheim's case is something like Kevin Flynn from Tron Legacy.
Awesome episode~
Jan 21, 2015 1:23 PM
May 2013
Hoenheim is the man!!
Mar 4, 2015 10:42 AM
Mar 2014
Hool said:
Great, finally the connection between Hohenheim and "father" is revealed.
I think the homunculus was very charitable lol
Jul 25, 2015 4:48 PM

Jun 2015
Well that cleared up a lot of confusions
Jul 28, 2015 8:11 PM

Oct 2014
Good episode, didn't expect Hohenheim's backstory to be like that. Very interesting. I like that he helped out Miss Izumi, she's a good character and person.
Oct 11, 2015 6:32 PM

Jul 2009
Mira is so brave! She went to central and meet Bradley like it was nothing...
So Van was a slave! and "Father" was Xerxes!
Dec 16, 2015 9:30 AM
Nov 2014
Nice backstory on Hohenheim.
Jan 3, 2016 7:11 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that, as alleged, is very interesting, other mysteries are the solution, now that you understand the reason for that strangeness of Hohe, drawings and animations of a good standard, the opening and ending begin to like it more.
Feb 8, 2016 6:09 PM

Jul 2013
That was very interesting. The first minutes of the episode with Mustang and Riza with giving an art of morse code during their conversation so that Mustang could find out that Selim is a homunkuli. Also the talk between King Bradley and Mira was very well made. Mustang, Riza and Mira are so fucking smart. I love that :D

I also liked the rest of the episode, with the backstory of Hohenheim as a slave, to see how he got immortal and the origin of the first homukuli (the father).

Hohenheim healed Ed and Als master? That's nice!

Looking forward to the next episode.
Natsu88Feb 8, 2016 6:16 PM

Jun 3, 2016 3:53 AM

Apr 2009
A very informative episode.
So Hohenheim is a good guy. :)
I'm just wondering who extracted his blood for that homunculus to be made.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2016 7:33 PM

Nov 2015
OH GOSH!!! I KNEW HE WAS GOOD AFTER ALL!! He is also the one at the beginning of the first opening, Ed looks so much like him!!! I can now see why that guy (Father) looked like him!! Ohhhh, HE IS SO NICE!!!
I can't wait to see when he meets his wife!!! This anime is going to make me cry so much!
And let's not forget how cute Roy and the blonde girl are (who's tattoo might help stop the sacrifices circle, right? Maybe? Anyway, they will end up together, and ALIVE. P.S. Please don't kill her dog).
I have the feeling the guy's teacher is going to die soon (as a sacrifice), and that in the end Van will sacrifice himself for Ed and Al, and help them get their bodies back, and that the guys will finally understand his dad loves them very VERY much!!!
I also think that huge sacrifice circle won't be completed, I don't know how, but it just won't (I mean, everyone would die and the evil would win. No one wants the evil to win, right?). I also think the King's son is going to be killed (because that cute little boy is the worst) and that the king will suffer because he got attached to him, which he shouldn't, but he has been around humans for too long.
Am I the only one who wants to have children while watching this? I mean, don't get me wrong, but this show encourages you to go live in the countryside and live an easy and happy life :)

I DON'T WANT THIS TO EVER END!!! Like really, I don't want it to end at all.
Sep 28, 2016 10:36 AM

May 2014
Admittedly I've been a little bit bored that last few episodes, but Hoenheim's a really interesting character & I always find myself really interested in the few episodes we've had with him.
I wish he was the protagonist if I'm completely honest since I'm not particularly keen on Ed...there's nothing wrong with him per se I just don't connect with him as a character I guess. I do kind of adore Al though!

Also wondering if Hoenheim is against father or not...he's a bit of an enigma so you can never really tell. Did his goals change when Trisha died? I dunno, the way he just told Izumi that she can't die yet seems awfully fishy since she's a possible candidate for sacrifice...

On another note, I think we have a shortage of Greedling so I'm hoping we get some more of that soon!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 29, 2016 11:22 AM

Apr 2014
So that's the story of Hohenheim.
Feb 3, 2017 9:06 AM

Jan 2016
"So, both your wallet and balls are pea-sized, I see."
savage af LMAO
Feb 28, 2017 4:09 AM
Jan 2012
I forgot that Father's story was revealed this "early" in the show. Good episode, one of my favorites.
Jul 9, 2017 7:30 AM

Jun 2017
For a second there I thought Hohenheim was gonna kill Izumi all of a sudden, I'm so glad he didn't! His story is so interesting, I'm really warming up to him.
Mar 14, 2018 2:07 PM

Dec 2009
You know shit is going down when the narrator states the law of equivalent exchange in the preview.

So Hohenheim is a philosopher stone in human form, with thousands sacrificed. And father is the first homonculous. It is finally starting to come together.
Jan 2, 2019 7:14 PM

Sep 2018
Riza and Roy code .. kyahhh!!! hahah
I don't know why.. i feel that they are so close to have a coding .. or all military have a secret code ? :D (I'm just fangirling)

btw, how they do that code?
Jan 17, 2019 7:09 PM

Jun 2015
the look alike story makes sense now, so in the end, hohenheim is a good guy but placed in a bad situation?
Jan 27, 2019 12:28 AM
Jun 2014
I didn't think we'd be getting Hohenheim's backstory this early. It was awesome though.
Feb 10, 2019 12:56 PM

Oct 2013
I was waiting for this episode, to be honest. I wanted to finally see a backstory of Hohenheim to learn who he really is and what is his mission. This episode helped to answer many questions who were being accumulated throughout all these episodes, especially those with scenes involving Hohenheim.
Apr 6, 2019 2:33 AM

May 2016
Armstrong strongarmed Bradley into giving her Raven's seat in the upper echelons of Central HQ by not backing down and telling him exactly what happened to a T with clever side comments that effectively supported her side of the story. It looks like her moxy was exactly what Bradley wanted to spice things up a bit.

Roy decoding Rize's secret message about Selim Bradley by writing down the names she mentioned was very entertaining to watch.

Hohenheim was actually a promising alchemist-turned slave that was unwillingly turned into a human version of the Philosopher's Stone by that puffball in the flask. He became immortal in exchange for bearing the burden of hearing the tormented souls of half the country of Xerxes for as long as he lived. He might be a very shady character because he stabbed Izumi like that but that one act pretty much relieved most of her pain.

Sep 8, 2019 1:16 PM
Aug 2019
Hohenheim and Father's backstory is finally revealed
Nov 6, 2019 9:09 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So much revelations about Hohenheim, and wow how did he repair Izumi's stomach like that
Feb 10, 2020 6:48 PM

Nov 2017
Nice flashback of Hohenheim and the Little One in the Flask and how they came to be and the idea behind the philosopher's stone. Really adds a lot to both of their characters. Just crazy good revelations overall
Mar 29, 2020 6:06 PM

Feb 2020
i actually kinda like the new intro

"both your wallet and your balls are pea sized" omg armstrong what a burn!!!!! i love her!!! i wonder how she will manipulate the situation to her advantage now

OH MY GOD RIZA that was so clever telling mustang about selim using names!! this show man this show. i love their relationship

a lot of explanation about hohenheim and "father"'s origins in this ep and how the are separate beings which always confused me

izumi is back!!
May 5, 2020 3:21 AM

Nov 2018
I don't know why you don't like the pace.It's good enough to not become another shounen with flashbacks taking more time than real time story.
I hate everyone equally
Jul 20, 2020 9:01 AM

Aug 2018
Wow Hohenheim turns out being pretty good guy who only wants to fix the problem that happened once
Nov 12, 2020 4:07 PM

Jul 2017
Great episode overall, with a lot of exposition and backstory focusing on Hohenheim and how he became a philosopher's stone essentially along with the creation of Father. It could have been even better if he had a more emotional connection with the people of Xerxes through some world building and little more time spent on development but still, the anime captured the story and essence really well.

Also, been a while since Izumi was here in this show and she was helped a bit by Hohenheim as he rearranged her inner organs to help her for the time being.
Jan 10, 2021 11:55 AM

Aug 2017
Basically, evil creature fooled everyone and gained a body. What really doesn't interest me is how the plot went from "we're going to get your body back" to "save the country because killing is bad".

adamantine said:
I was disappointed that they didn't show Hohenheim interacting with the actual citizens of Xerxes, like when he taught the other slaves to read. It would have given the destruction scene more impact.

And people after 10 years say "FMAB follows the manga strictly" lmao.
NurguburuJan 10, 2021 11:58 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 30, 2021 7:43 PM

Jun 2021
Van hohenheim is immortal and a philosopher stone in human body.Wah!This episode is outstanding.

Every Opening and Ending theme songs are very good
Dec 9, 2021 10:00 AM
Nov 2020
I just love how the Elric brothers are the only people in the country with golden eyes and no one ever brings it up.
Mar 7, 2022 3:52 PM

Feb 2021
Mustang And Hawkeye play mad libs, huh?

Even after an entire flashback I still don't know what a homunculus, where it comes from and how it's created. Nor does this explain Father's motivations in the first place or flesh him out as a character in any way, dude literally caused the second impact just because he's bad or something idk. It would've helped understand why he's so painfully blind to leaving fucking Hohenheim out to do whatever and all the other characters that tryna stop him. It's like we're getting more questions than answers from this, not to mention we don't know shit about Xerxes and never will

also why the melodrama at the end lol
May 30, 2022 3:29 PM
Apr 2022
Mustang knows about Selim showtime
Nov 9, 2022 6:35 AM

Jul 2021
holy shit this episode. one of the best ones till now. the van in the laboratory or whatever is pride the first homunculus and probably takes the form of selim in other times.

ed and al's father is the original van and he's a philosopher's stone in the form of human?????????? wtf? ed and al had the philosopher's stone so close to them. van could have fixed ed and al too but seems like van is gonna follow pride. to be honest we really don't know what's going on in his head. he first wanted to die like a normal human with his family, that's how much he loved them but things went awry. i wonder why he doesn't try to explain stuff to ed and al.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.