Forum Settings
Forums
Voices of a Distant Star
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2010 4:30 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
woow this was an awesome manga! really great, i personally haven't watched the movie, but i really want to now! the whole manga has such a sad, lonely and nostalgic feeling to it that makes your heart twitch with every page... it is so cool! too bad it was that short, but ireally enjoyed it!
KinetaNov 23, 2012 7:15 AM
Mar 14, 2010 9:20 PM

Aug 2009
I really love this manga!!
I wish they'd have at least met again in the ending, but it was still good! Leaves you to draw your own conclusion!
Mar 19, 2010 9:47 PM
Jan 2010
I thought the manga and anime were both good although their endings differ both are open to interpretation but the ending to the manga leads one to a more concrete interpretation of what will happen in the future since the last few pages at the end of the chapter weren't part of the anime.
Mar 22, 2010 3:50 AM

Apr 2009
I really loved the manga. Yumeka Sumomo managed to change the plot a bit that way, that it became so amazing and heart-breaking and beautiful. All their feelings, emotions, expressions - she conveyed them all perfectly.

I really loved how she ended manga, she showed a hope for them to remember. And it really made me cry so much, when she saw that Noboru was going to come rescue her. It just shows how far can love go and how powerful it is

"To the 25-year old Noboru-kun. This is the 16-year old Mikako. Noboru.. I love you, Noboru." This part so got me.
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
May 6, 2010 1:49 PM

Dec 2009
I rewatched the anime after reading the manga, and in my honest opinion, the manga is way better than the anime ! I have the feeling the anime is rushed... everything go fast, and there is just not enough details. In the manga, you see much deeper feelings, and the add of new characters is really great and useful. The distant relationship impact is more detailed in the manga too. The character design is also better in the manga. Moreover, I prefered the ending in the manga... When she saw the name on the board, it was so intense ! And you are more convinced that they will meet again.

In conclusion, the anime is just nice while the manga is a timeless masterpiece.
Aug 8, 2010 2:42 PM

Aug 2009
Interesting is also that when he comes there eg in 8 years she will be older also. But anyway since the mision failure also probably took 8 years to report they will probably be 8 years older still? But since he got her messege that she sended before fight and he got it a litl more then when he enlisted chances are there is somhow rescue mission been started emidiatly after they jumped? Since mission failure should take 8 years to confirm so they would actualy waited 16 years to get rescued?
Interesting manga defenetly i like the fact that he is coming to get her too :D
Sep 25, 2010 3:41 PM

Dec 2009
I loved the manga, the ending was just awesome, I just wish I can see them seeing each other again
Feb 16, 2011 9:30 AM

Jun 2009
Amazing manga. Suddenly a favorite.
I watched 5 cm/s and liked the style. Hoshi no Koe was recommended to me. I watched the OVA, but... I honestly didn't like it. It was so fast, so rushed, I didn't like the characters' designs, etc. But, the story was okay.
When I saw the manga of it, I decided to give it a try. It was so worth it. The manga is so much better, everything on it is so well done. The characters are way better, the story itself is so touching, so beautiful... a masterpiece. I could feel the love and pain, different from the animated version.
Feb 21, 2011 7:11 PM

Mar 2010
@_@ I want to know what's going to happen after the ending.
May 7, 2011 10:24 PM

Aug 2010
So happy about the ending, so so happy.
Aug 5, 2011 9:04 PM

Mar 2009
In my opinion, the manga is way better than the anime. The ending was kinda sweet too.
Sep 6, 2011 5:44 AM

Aug 2010
Glad I read it, I personally prefer happy endings over sad and open ones, and the last few pages hint at the former. I only wish the OVA was longer and had this ending. A touching story, gave it a 9/10.
Feb 20, 2012 6:19 AM

Feb 2009
Yumeka Sumomo, can you please stop creating adorable guys? I feel weird loving her boys so much. fsdhfdyfgdfygd ;A;
I feel a bit incomplete, like I missed something to close the feeling I got reading it, but anyway, overall this was great as always! 9/10.
May 22, 2012 6:26 PM

Sep 2011
i loved this manga, it really gets me emotional!
Feb 9, 2013 10:57 AM

Oct 2011
they need to remake the " Hoshi no koe"'s OVA based on this manga into a movie !!!
Mar 27, 2013 3:55 PM

Sep 2011
AlexSadist-sama said:
In my opinion, the manga is way better than the anime. The ending was kinda sweet too.

You are right man. And the end was... so good... no, was emotional. Another little-story which ends, and another perfect manga which end... unfortunately.
May 27, 2013 7:00 PM

Nov 2012
Did anyone cry? (I didn't but my heart stirred ;_;) Makoto Shinkai + Sahara Mizu/Yumeka Sumomo is a great combination
SleepyBearMay 27, 2013 7:08 PM
Jul 22, 2013 12:33 AM
Jun 2013
SleepyBear said:
Did anyone cry? (I didn't but my heart stirred ;_;) Makoto Shinkai + Sahara Mizu/Yumeka Sumomo is a great combination

my heart is messed up after reading this manga...

thiz thing iz good
Sep 13, 2013 9:54 AM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Very touching ending. :')

Oct 27, 2013 8:15 AM

Jul 2012
The ending, yeah ** I lost hope with the anime, the manga at least give you a chance :) Definitely a 9/10
Nov 7, 2013 5:51 PM
Nov 2013
The ending was fine, but it wasn't as dramatic as it should've been. At least a scene where they said, "I love you" to each other and then kissed would have made it better. But overall, it was an enjoyable read.
Jan 27, 2014 10:22 AM

Sep 2013
Damn, that was so short and yet so beautiful. It made me feel really sad, but the ending was nice. There was hope left.
Feb 12, 2014 4:47 PM

Dec 2013
uiosi said:
Interesting is also that when he comes there eg in 8 years she will be older also. But anyway since the mision failure also probably took 8 years to report they will probably be 8 years older still? But since he got her messege that she sended before fight and he got it a litl more then when he enlisted chances are there is somhow rescue mission been started emidiatly after they jumped? Since mission failure should take 8 years to confirm so they would actualy waited 16 years to get rescued?
Interesting manga defenetly i like the fact that he is coming to get her too :D

ya the whole time thing got me kind of confused when i start thinking about it lol. wish i knew if they actually where able to meet and what the age difference would have been, if any at all. If i remember correctly the ship has faster communication speed but it was only for important messages between the fleet and control
ururunationFeb 12, 2014 4:57 PM
Mar 8, 2014 1:19 AM

Sep 2012
ururuization said:

ya the whole time thing got me kind of confused when i start thinking about it lol. wish i knew if they actually where able to meet and what the age difference would have been, if any at all. If i remember correctly the ship has faster communication speed but it was only for important messages between the fleet and control

yeah, that was implied by a line mikako said early on in the manga.
its also confirmed in which noboru gets her message 8 years later as hes about to leave on the rescue expedition, it pretty much implies that command had FTL communication, maybe even a small vessel they used to warp back to earth,

anyway
all in all, this was a fantastic manga, it took the concept of the movie and improved on it and added a lot of great extra stuff between the 2 main characters, and all the side characters added were simply fantastic, and really helped the mood of the story.
the parallels between noboru on earth and takaki from 5cm per second were very apparent towards the end of the manga.
the art was also simply great, and the ending was heartwarming.

easy 10/10
Mar 8, 2014 6:19 AM

Jan 2014
it's safe to assume that they'll meet again, he'll be one of the crews for search and rescue operation, cause they're taking/recruiting volunteers for it, seeing the fact that he'll not age also when he embarks on this mission...so its a big possibility that
it will end in a happy ending...

"Love conquers all..."

just sharing my thoughts :)
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Oct 17, 2014 10:54 AM

Jan 2013
A wonderful, wonderful ending. Definitely liked this more than the manga.
I give this a 7/10.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Oct 26, 2014 9:24 PM

May 2010
BlasianAngel said:
I really love this manga!!
I wish they'd have at least met again in the ending, but it was still good! Leaves you to draw your own conclusion!

this.
i really love the story, the characters and everything about this manga, i too just hope they meet again...
Apr 29, 2015 9:38 PM

Jun 2014
definitely better than anime, more detailed and the art was great

DeadZeroSource said:
it's safe to assume that they'll meet again, he'll be one of the crews for search and rescue operation, cause they're taking/recruiting volunteers for it, seeing the fact that he'll not age also when he embarks on this mission...so its a big possibility that
it will end in a happy ending...

i hope so XD

7/10
Apr 30, 2015 12:28 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Noticeably better than the anime OVA, imo. I like the extra detail the manga has that the OVA doesn't.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Jun 9, 2015 6:33 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
AlexSadist-sama said:

Exactly.
Bigger focus on development for the story and their romance, this really was just a more touching experience, and the ending left at a much more conclusive and gratifying note versus the movie. :)
9/10
Aug 31, 2015 7:04 AM

Apr 2014
Storywise, I liked it better than the anime because of the happy-ish ending. Honestly, it was quite a surprise after all the depressing endings of Shinkai Makoto.
8/10
your waifu is shit
Sep 10, 2015 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
I hope they are really going to meet soon! Aww, love conquers all for sure.
Mar 6, 2018 6:46 PM

May 2014
hey! just finished the manga, really good character development compared to the anime. bittersweet open ending which i really hate T.T but i noticed something when noboru was talking to his friend, his friend said something about them sending crap ships and no good crew. That just solidifies me into believing he wont get there safely :/ GOD I HATE THIS FEELING T.T
Jan 20, 2021 10:18 PM
Jul 2018
damn this was pretty sad, art was really nice too. would've been nice if they could've met eachother again in the end but oh well. overall 6/10, can't really say much since it was only 10 chapters but i think the characters and story were done fairly well.
Jul 12, 2021 9:17 AM

Nov 2018
I'm so fucking glad they got to meet each other in the end. I was damn scared of the fact that Mikako might've died and Noboru gave up on her and moved on.
Jul 30, 2021 7:32 PM
Dec 2017
it was a pretty fun read overall.

Jul 31, 2021 3:22 PM

Aug 2008
I wish this manga had about twice the chapters to flesh things out more, as it is a solid job was done with the mere 10 chapters given. Solid 8/10 for me, ending is a hopeful one that they'll meet again, never saw the anime adaptation and sounds like that's a good thing...
Oct 10, 2022 6:42 AM

Aug 2022
Just like I said, too fast and nothing much happened.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hoshi no Koe Chapter 5 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Aug 5, 2011

4 by Nicoman- »»
Oct 12, 2022 8:57 AM

Poll: » Hoshi no Koe Chapter 9 Discussion

1 by LaurenStark »»
Oct 10, 2022 6:38 AM

Poll: » Hoshi no Koe Chapter 7 Discussion

1 by LaurenStark »»
Oct 10, 2022 6:30 AM

Poll: » Hoshi no Koe Chapter 6 Discussion

3 by Shikkakku »»
Aug 23, 2019 10:06 PM

Poll: » Hoshi no Koe Chapter 4 Discussion

1 by Bheaze »»
Sep 30, 2014 2:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.