Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime has the best characters? And why (for the purpose of no simple listing)

New
Apr 6, 2010 12:38 PM
Apr 2010
I wanna watch a new anime after finsihing Gintama and FMA - Bortherhood.
I want one with an amazing cast of characters please

My favs are:

Gintama
FMP Fumoffu
FMA Brotherhood
School Rumble
Ouran High School
Bleach
LunaDec 30, 2012 8:18 AM
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2010 1:11 PM

May 2009
Besides the ones already mentioned, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei <3
Apr 6, 2010 1:11 PM
Apr 2010
thanks yammin, i just read ur review and will give shoukanjuu watever a try.

wat else would u recommend similar to FMP fummofu, Gintama and School Rumble

i really like school animes + comedy, but not to girly though
Apr 6, 2010 1:14 PM

May 2009
Well, Utena's only girly in the beginning. It's school, but not so much comedy, it gets dark quickly. Ah well.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is awesome, though you need to understand at least a bit of the Japanese culture, and some animanga knowledge, as parodies make up quite a bit of the comedy.
Apr 6, 2010 1:15 PM

Dec 2007
Utena is never girly, it's all cubist.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 6, 2010 1:17 PM

May 2009
ladyxzeus said:
Utena is never girly, it's all cubist.

It fooled me in the beginning. On a rewatch, though, everything seems different.
Apr 6, 2010 1:18 PM
Feb 2010
I just realized that I wasn't annoyed by any character in Jigoku Shoujo...not even one. That's an accomplishment that deserves a mention.
Apr 6, 2010 4:01 PM

Jan 2010
I like Fairy Tail's cast.

You have your stupid male lead, (Natsu) your cute female lead, (Lucy) your badass other female lead, (Erza) your other male lead who always fights with Natsu (Gray), and the comedic relief (Happy).
Apr 6, 2010 4:23 PM

Jan 2010
Bleach. The anime itself is pretty mediocre, but the sheer number of characters makes it hard to go wrong in that sense. There's so many you are bound to like at least a few.
Apr 6, 2010 4:28 PM

Jan 2010
Pandora Hearts in a heartbeat.

Oz, Alice, Gilbert, Break, Sharon, Vincent, Echo, Elliot, Jack, Glen, Will of the Abyss, Uncle Oscar... they're all too cool.
There are just all these layers to each of their characters. It's great to keep learning more about them as the story goes on.
Cho_DesuApr 6, 2010 4:32 PM
Apr 6, 2010 4:37 PM

Jun 2008
Samurai Champloo, but I'm referring the main three.
Ouran High School Host Club, all entertaining one way or another.
Baccano! of course, many great characters.
Hayate no Gotoku! the way they all acted with each other, alone, just fun.
Haruhi Suzumiya (show), I think is obvious. They're all different and have lol interactions.
Apr 7, 2010 12:27 AM

Jan 2010
No doubt it's Legend of the Galactic Heroes.They have a huge cast of likable and deplorable characters. The cast includes malicious, insignificant, great, foolish, rage-induces, funny, reserved, insecure, lofty and much more particularities, whose well-defined interactions with eachother creates many brilliant instances in the story, and further radiates the greatness of the show.
Score Criteria:
Apr 7, 2010 12:27 AM

Sep 2009
Cholisose said:
Pandora Hearts in a heartbeat.

Oz, Alice, Gilbert, Break, Sharon, Vincent, Echo, Elliot, Jack, Glen, Will of the Abyss, Uncle Oscar... they're all too cool.
There are just all these layers to each of their characters. It's great to keep learning more about them as the story goes on.

YES!! I am in love with pretty much every single Pandora Hearts character. It's never happened across the board like that before. A large number of them I love nearly equally. After Pandora Hearts, the cast of Slayers. They complement each other flawlessly.
Neiru2013Apr 7, 2010 12:57 AM
Apr 7, 2010 7:11 AM

Oct 2008
Baccano!

and Monster because of it's wide cast of great side-characters.
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Apr 7, 2010 7:12 AM

Nov 2008
Princess Mononoke, I really loved how the story tried to be impartial and to give both reason to hate or to love each parts. It really did a great job to portray the roots of this particular conflict.
Though mister perfect kind of annoyed me at times but he was more a plot device to give a view on both parts.

Cardcaptor Sakura has also an excellent cast of characters, and I include the cards as well.
Apr 9, 2010 12:59 PM

Mar 2010
Fullmetal Alchemist.

Edward and Alphonse, Roy Mustang, Maes Hughes, Armstrong, Hawkeye, Jean Havoc, and one of my favorite anime characters of all time; Scar. Hell, I even love Vato Falman, Kain Fuery and Heymans Breda.

Then there were the characters that were perfect at winning my hatered like Lust, Envy, Gluttony, Greed and the biggest bastard of them all, Shou Tucker.

If you look at my profile, 5 of my 10 favorite characters are from FMA.
PompeiiApr 9, 2010 1:07 PM
Apr 9, 2010 1:27 PM
Feb 2010
NinjaSassy212 said:

durarara

I second.

Also Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. (Maybe I'm just saying that because I'm a fangirl?)
I love almost all of the characters. Even the girls.
None of them are annoying slags and bitches like most Anime girls.
Apr 10, 2010 9:07 PM

Dec 2009
lollypatrolly said:
Only watched a few eps of Monster and Baccano!, but both of those seem to have exceptionally well made characters as well as a large cast. As for shows I've completed, Gunslinger Girl and Spice and Wolf have the best characters and interaction / relations. However they are not the largest casts, which I think may be what you're looking for. Can't believe people mentioned TTGL, it has some of the worst characterization I've seen to date in anime.

No, no. Best, not the largest. That means the cast has to be able to stand on its own. Basically, for you. What series has a cast that you remember everyone involved in the plot. A cast that you can list all the names off the top of your head with no problem. The cast that was dynamic, unique, and filled with the subtle features that makes them like no other cast in anime. The cast with the dynamic relationship that sucked you into the story so deep you forgot the rest of the world existed while you watched.
Apr 10, 2010 11:30 PM

Mar 2009
Claymore. Strong, kickass females who never give up. That's the way it's supposed to be- screw all those fucking useless and weak characters!
Apr 11, 2010 3:32 AM

Jan 2009
Well, the few anime series in which I loved almost every character are Fullmetal Alchemist, Gintama and Pandora Hearts. Also, Monster. Monster has very well-developed characters.
Apr 20, 2010 2:11 PM

Mar 2010
Bleach, they make me laugh.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, I don't really know why, but I like them anyway.

Love Hina, more lolz.
Apr 20, 2010 2:23 PM

Jul 2009
soul eater. I liked every character. I don't think I can say that about another anime...
Apr 20, 2010 3:10 PM

Dec 2008
Durarara has a realy good cast of people.
I also like Princess Tutu's cast.
Cromartie High School.
I liked most of Ghost Hound's cast.
There's quite a few shows that I like a good amount of the cast.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
Apr 21, 2010 5:11 PM

Aug 2009
lollypatrolly said:
^Maybe I've just seen too few anime, but TTGL had some of the worst characters I've seen in the medium so far. Don't get how you can put it on the best list at least :/

I'll have to disagree with Haruhi as well. Though it does have two very good characters (kyon and haruhi), the rest are just put together from the standard anime palette of stereotypical traits / archetypes. While there's nothing quite wrong with this, it certainly means it can't qualify for having the BEST characters :P

Now that I've completed Baccano, I'm going to reaffirm that it has an amazing cast of unique and sometimes complex characters, as well as fajr,y interesting character relations / relationships.

I could really give less of a shit as to whether or not you disagree with me. As far as I'm concerned, this thread is inherently subjective.
Apr 21, 2010 5:24 PM

Aug 2009
lollypatrolly said:
Characters being one-dimensional and stereotypical is not exactly a matter of subjective opinion for that matter. Though if you want my opinion as well, I'd say they're all annoying.

Excuse me for finding charm in stereotypical characters.

One needn't criticize a show because the cast is overly stereotypical or made of only standard archetypes. I enjoy how they interacted with the situations they've been placed in. Each of the shows I've listed had good characters and they worked well with the narrative. What more could you ask for in a cast?
Apr 21, 2010 7:33 PM

Aug 2008
HunterxHunter (best cast I have seen. I would love to put every important character in my fav list, but then there would be no more room in my list. Yes, even the important ones with virtually no screen-time i.e. Ging)
FMA (previously best cast)
YYH (Togashi is a character creating genius, imo, though he doesn't work out their potential as he did in HxH)

Honorable mentions:

Gintama
Haven't seen enough of Legend of the Galactic Heroes to say, though I can see why some feel that way.
and Shugo Chara, yes.
aixelsydApr 21, 2010 7:40 PM
Apr 21, 2010 8:56 PM

Jun 2008
lollypatrolly said:
Discussion is bad, making useless lists is good, mmmkay?

Characters being one-dimensional and stereotypical is not exactly a matter of subjective opinion for that matter. Though if you want my opinion as well, I'd say they're all annoying.

No need to take criticism on your shows as personal attacks, at least.
I never got around this tidbit that a character has to be unique, non-stereotypical, in order to be a "good" character. It is entirely subjective if you think stereotypical characters are always bad, or even "worst" characters. It seems to me there's quite a number of people who like tsunderes, and most of them are nothing short of what you call stereotypical. And also, it seems to me unique characters are either hit or miss. Or more, they get labeled to a specific group, just because some qualities are shared.

And really, I wouldn't even call Kamina stereotypical, since I've seen nobody around my list of shows that had a similar character as him. Or nobody memorable enough that I would relate him to. Maybe Kittan tries to be him, but that's within the same show. And if I can't name any, then it isn't stereotypical for me. Hence, another form of subjectivity. Lots of it.

Anyways, when I saw this topic, Baccano! instantly came to my mind. The only choice I could think of. It isn't more that all of them are great, unique, memorable characters (though Vino sort of is), but how they interacted with each other for the entire show.
Apr 21, 2010 9:23 PM

Nov 2007
Soul Eater

Has a really solid story line, keeps you on your toes and has the largest variety of personalities I've seen in anime characters by far. Definitely a must if you're looking for something a little different. (Just make sure you give it a few episodes! ;3)

Apr 21, 2010 10:16 PM

Apr 2009
Baccano, Gintama, and Gundam 00 come to mind. Cowboy Bebop and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann also have spectacular characters. A lot of the seiyu for these shows are really amazing.
Apr 22, 2010 5:26 AM

Feb 2005
Tachii said:
And really, I wouldn't even call Kamina stereotypical, since I've seen nobody around my list of shows that had a similar character as him.
Well, he's pretty much a personification of the Determinator archetype. And there are dozens of them in shounen anime, optimistic dudes who don't ever give up and whatnot. Granted, I can't remember seeing anyone as completely focused on that single trait and nothing else as Kamina, so he definitely serve as a great crystallization and parody of that trait.
But it's like the girls of SZS, while they may be interesting or entertaining, I could never really call them good characters when they are basically made of one single exaggerated trait and nothing else.
Apr 22, 2010 12:15 PM

Aug 2009
Baman said:
But it's like the girls of SZS, while they may be interesting or entertaining, I could never really call them good characters when they are basically made of one single exaggerated trait and nothing else.

I'm pretty sure this could be applied to every character created in anime since it's introduction. Every character is a combination of one or more archetypes, so essentially no character is "original" in the sense that "no one has done it before."

But since OP listed off his favorite shows as having the best casts, I listed some of my favorites. Sure, to some of you they may not have the best cast because they lack the "originality" that your shows supposedly have, but I feel the characters in my list are the best choices given the scenarios they were placed in. I enjoy that, and in my opinion that's what makes a cast one of the best. Who cares if they are all stereotypical character traits for their genre? Baccano's appeal for me is that each character is inherently different (i.e. I believe each portrays their own archetype) and they are all thrown into the same world, a potpourri of stereotypes in one place. We love the interactions between Isaac and Miria in relation to the other, more serious characters, but if they starred in a series alone would they have the same appeal (every character essentially acts like them)?

Maybe I'm rambling on, but in all of my listed shows I feel that the result is greater than the sum of it's parts, mostly because of the cast, no matter how stereotypical they are.
Apr 22, 2010 1:10 PM

Mar 2010
Really like al the masters from Kenichi the mightiest disciple, Apachai ^^
Appa appa!

Apr 22, 2010 2:13 PM

Feb 2005
minglong said:
I'm pretty sure this could be applied to every character created in anime since it's introduction. Every character is a combination of one or more archetypes, so essentially no character is "original" in the sense that "no one has done it before."
But it's usually easier and cheaper to make a good character out of a single archetype rather than make a varied and balanced one, take Kenshiro and Chirico for example, I really liked them and all, but they were basically nothing but pure badass archetypes, and thus takes very little effort to write. Which is why I would never list them as the overall best characters I've seen, since they lack substance and are too "cheap" even if they are great at what they do.
Similarly, Kamina played his role perfectly, but the writers certainly can't be praised for writing a complex, deep or realistic character. They probably spent fifteen minutes maximum.

But of course, since you judge them based on how they play their roles in their settings, I guess that critique doesn't really apply.
Apr 22, 2010 5:10 PM

Mar 2009
Slam Dunk. All of them play their respective roles, have diverse personalities and are funny in one way or another.
Apr 22, 2010 7:47 PM
Nov 2009
I love the characters in InuYasha, I don't care about the story so much but the reason I keep on watching is because of the characters.

Apr 23, 2010 1:04 AM

Jun 2009
I was going to say inb4 LoGH but I got owned in the 2nd post.
Apr 23, 2010 2:19 AM
Mar 2009
One Piece or EyeShield 21.
Apr 23, 2010 6:58 AM

Apr 2009
Baccano! and Ouran Host Club. Baccano! has wild, crazy charaters that all are individual personalities, and Ouran does have the archetypes, but they're not afraid to play around with it- they acknowledge that they're stereotypes and use it to their advantage.
Apr 23, 2010 7:12 AM

Oct 2008
Fullmetal alchemist
fullmetal alchemist brotherhood . .
Soul eater
each of these anime have a great cast of characters . . . Diverse , till the end . . Each character is well developed , which makes you love em more . . . Or even hate em more . . . Each character has its moment of glory . . . And its moment of folly . . . :)
Apr 23, 2010 7:42 AM

Mar 2009
-Crest/Banner of the Stars I-III. Lafiel is great.
-Cowboy Bebop.
-Code Geass, sort of; I think Lelouch and Kallen are fascinating, but others like C2 are really, really bad.
-Haibane Renmei.
-FLCL.
-Ouran High School Host Club.
-Princess Mononoke. As an aside, one of the best love interest first shots ever. Man sees girl, girl looks up with blood all over mouth. Kinky.
-Spirirted Away.

Part of me wants to say TTGL, and part of me doesn't.
Apr 23, 2010 10:44 AM

Mar 2010
durarara!!

.... Thinking of the smile on the person's face...
Apr 23, 2010 6:07 PM

Jun 2008
lollypatrolly said:
But this is about the best cast of characters, yes? Then their interactions and executions between each other is crucial for the selection. We're really looking for the averages they hypothetically add up to and not their individual uniqueness that might out-complete the entire cast of another show. At least, when I think of "best cast", I think of everyone playing in a specific role, with some role, that is distributed well with what their personalities are. This is why when I thought about this, TTGL did not came up. Because even if Kamina is some fantastical character, we also have really bland characters, and on average, they just didn't match up to the diversity of Baccano. I didn't even like Isaac and Miria but their role added to the flare of Baccano.
Apr 23, 2010 6:21 PM

Jun 2009
id say OHSHC and durarara
Apr 23, 2010 6:59 PM

Apr 2010
EASILY gintama--largest and most diverse cast of characters.

Yu Yu Hakusho also had a great large cast, although some were a bit stereotypical.

Cowboy Bebop had a good cast although fairly limited
Apr 23, 2010 7:03 PM
Dec 2009
purrpleninja000 said:
durarara!!

this and
Beck
KHR
Gintama
Apr 23, 2010 8:35 PM
Sep 2009
Any cast that has such a boss character like Maes Hughes from FMA is good.
Apr 23, 2010 8:52 PM

Sep 2009
Definitely Berserk and ROD the TV
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2010 9:36 PM

Apr 2009
So far? Death Note. Lucky Star's cast is really good too.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Apr 23, 2010 10:22 PM

Apr 2010
FLCL had stupendous characters? I dunno. Most animes don't really have great characters >.<
Apr 24, 2010 11:52 PM

Jun 2009
MisaTange said:
So far? Death Note. Lucky Star's cast is really good too.

You need to watch more anime.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

40 by KitsuFrost »»
56 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

102 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

55 by Akuya »»
3 minutes ago

» Is "Magnetic Rose" considered a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

2 by Dizzy-san »»
12 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

12 by Zarutaku »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.