Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2010 12:05 PM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great movie ^.^
Jan 16, 2010 12:08 PM

Jul 2008
No kidding; it was the first anime movie I ever saw, when I was 8 years old, (Back in 1995) and it was superb. I rewatched it when I was 17, and its animation for its time, action, and retro story were still outstanding.
Jul 7, 2010 4:27 AM

Feb 2009
Very poor presentation and average uninteresting cliche story. However what reallly annoyed me was the voice acting, it was really bad (dubbed). I guess it's still entertaining for what it is, but the age does show up (rare for me to say this).

Doesn't even come close to Bloodlust.
VeethornJul 7, 2010 4:35 AM
Feb 24, 2011 1:16 AM

Apr 2009
It was a 1985 film so it was understandably faulty by our current standards. Except with the boring scenes near and at the ending where I dozed off for a moment that I had to replay it, it was OK. Off to watch Bloodlust next.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 6, 2012 4:16 AM

Jul 2008
Nice anime , a classic indeed.

Wow, Doris is hot.
Warning NSFW
Aug 26, 2012 7:19 AM

Jul 2011
Boring ..... Boring ....... Boring
The sequel Bloodlust is much much much better.
Jan 30, 2013 1:37 PM

Sep 2011
Great movie. It was better than expected.
Mar 28, 2013 11:53 AM

Jun 2011
it was a shitty movie, n im not talkin bout the animation cuz that is understandable
Jul 25, 2013 2:29 PM

Jul 2009
it was actually a good movie!

even though Bloodlust is still better, it's still enjoyable.

the first opening reminded me of Castlevania!!

the only thing i didn't like is that sometimes the fight is being rushed and they skip some of the fights and go straight to the outcome.

like D vs Rei when Dan was captured, we didn't see the fight and the outcome was just Rei lost his hand and D spared him.

even Dan being captured they didn't show, he was just captured just like that.

or even when D infiltrated the castle, he was there being seduced by the medusa half the day already.

and i can't believe Rei got destroyed like that O___O

and lol in one of the town scenes, someones a fan of Hokuto no Ken XD

same team perhaps!

also Sexy Doris FTW!!!

NSFW NSFW NSFW

Like father and son huh?

the relationship is similar with Alucard and Dracula from Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

i'm Alucard hates his father and blood lineage and what's to destroy them for good.

funny how both series were created during the 1980s and Castlevania was created 3 years after Vampire Hunter D!

kinda wish they should have used the Vampire Hunter D IP instead :P

first time i saw D smiled and nod! :P

i'm gonna watch Bloodlust again, but this time in japanese since i watched the movie on youtube :P

i would score this around 7 or 8/10 :P
Aug 11, 2013 9:33 PM

Apr 2012
Sure it's fairly primitive and no masterpiece, but it's a load of fun with a great gothic atmosphere. Love that medieval future noir. Have enjoyed watching this many times.

Finally got a chance to see it in the original Japanese audio on the R1 SE DVD - that's badly in need of a remaster! So distorted and a bit out of sync. Much better finally seeing the film with OG audio though.
Feb 3, 2014 1:46 AM

Mar 2012
The story was pretty interesting but it just felt so rushed. Planning to check the other movie since I've heard it was very good.

6/10.
May 4, 2014 2:17 AM

May 2011
yeah, the story is amazing so as the art though it was animated back in 1985.. i watched the dubbed version.. apart of the sad ending, the movies was so good :)

4/5
Sep 6, 2014 3:36 PM

Oct 2013
Good movie,it really was entertaining 6/10.

Dec 9, 2014 8:13 AM

Nov 2013
Entertaining movie; I loved the art and the retro animation, also the ending song was good. but the story was either bad or presented horribly.
I find it disturbing that I was strongly reminded of Twilight while watching this; although each one shows it in her own way, Doris and Bella are equally annoying.
mind, body & SOUL

Jul 18, 2015 7:33 PM

Apr 2012
Damn this is getting a remastered release? Already own the UK & US versions, not sure I care to replace them... it's so low budget I think I'm happy with the atmosphere not the fine image details (if there are any). Like I said, Jap dub could do with some work though.

It looks like there's no special features at all though? UK one had an interesting commentary track* and US had a making-of and fairly neato image gallery.

*IIRC the guy doing that pointed out there's a noticeable cut around 40m in the film (when D's with the sisters) that suggests they just spliced together what was intended to be two OVAs, when they decided to upgrade and make a film instead, which may explain various complaints.

UPDATE (who cares): I just noticed the old R1 DVD is a horrible transfer; really dark, blurry and washed out. The old R2 UK one is much better, vastly. Can see why this demanded a remaster but not sure why America got such a bad version in the first place.
BlackoutingSep 12, 2015 6:53 PM
Sep 4, 2015 6:14 PM

Feb 2013
Well, that wasn't very good and it wasn't very bad. Just average.

The cut-in-half gore was pretty cool I guess.
Jan 21, 2016 8:14 AM

Jul 2015
That was great, D is bad ass, i now can see where Alucard was inspired !
Apr 25, 2016 8:30 PM

Apr 2012
I got the most recent DVD after all - I'm actually amazed how good they managed to make it look. You can see so much more detail I didn't realise was there, but it made me realise how lacking in style a lot of the film was :P [edit: I take this back; have got used to all the extra colour...]

Like I said above, the old US DVD looks like absolute crap - ABSOLUTE CRAP, but the UK one was good and I think I kinda like the darker atmosphere in it more (not done a comparison, just going on overall impressions). There's possibly a bit too much unwanted colour in the new transfer, though it looks undeniably great.

At least the Japanese audio is now listenable. I actually like the new dub too.

BTW I much prefered the old translation of "Time-Bewitching Censer" as "Time-Bewitching Incense" :P (same thing really, but who says that)

EDIT: I forgot I made some lazy screenshots of the older DVDs a while ago, so if anyone wants a comparison between all three look below

(old US Special Edition on left; UK Manga on right; new US remaster separate)

BlackoutingDec 9, 2016 6:50 PM
Jun 19, 2016 1:19 PM

Jun 2015
I didn't love it but I really liked it. I felt it was too rushed and compact. They could have done better. I know this art style and I love it, and I know it can produce splendid women so why didn't they make a more attractive heroine? This noble girl was pretty good looking actually.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Aug 18, 2016 7:03 AM

May 2014
SomaHeir said:
it was actually a good movie!

even though Bloodlust is still better, it's still enjoyable.

the first opening reminded me of Castlevania!!

the only thing i didn't like is that sometimes the fight is being rushed and they skip some of the fights and go straight to the outcome.

like D vs Rei when Dan was captured, we didn't see the fight and the outcome was just Rei lost his hand and D spared him.

even Dan being captured they didn't show, he was just captured just like that.

or even when D infiltrated the castle, he was there being seduced by the medusa half the day already.

and i can't believe Rei got destroyed like that O___O

and lol in one of the town scenes, someones a fan of Hokuto no Ken XD

same team perhaps!

also Sexy Doris FTW!!!

NSFW NSFW NSFW

Like father and son huh?

the relationship is similar with Alucard and Dracula from Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

i'm Alucard hates his father and blood lineage and what's to destroy them for good.

funny how both series were created during the 1980s and Castlevania was created 3 years after Vampire Hunter D!

kinda wish they should have used the Vampire Hunter D IP instead :P

first time i saw D smiled and nod! :P

i'm gonna watch Bloodlust again, but this time in japanese since i watched the movie on youtube :P

i would score this around 7 or 8/10 :P

Lin is also on the very same scene kenshiro appeared haha

Another interesting fact, D was voiced by the same guy who voiced Rei on hokuto no ken. Maybe that was also on purpose xD
deadpan00Aug 18, 2016 7:09 AM
Oct 1, 2017 8:27 AM

Nov 2012
Yeah the story was nothing special honestly,though I really like the art style tbh.

Overall a 5/10 but will bump it to 6/10 solely cause of the art style.
Oct 10, 2017 3:07 PM

Apr 2012
"You are but transient guests on this planet fated to return to the darkness."

Overall had a B-movie feel but regardless fun and satisfying. Chara design and atmosphere kind of reminded me of Galaxy Express 999, okay action and plot twists.
EratiKMar 6, 2018 2:47 PM
Jan 17, 2018 7:38 PM

Oct 2011
so cliche and random. noticed I'm out of sync with the oldies...

Mar 6, 2018 2:37 PM

May 2016
Pretty enjoyable 7/10
Aug 26, 2018 6:01 PM

Oct 2015
Rei-Ginsei died the most horrible death I have ever seen by the count. Lamirca wanted to die as a noble and refused her human blood until the end, what a proud child. As for D, I guess it was inevitable that he left after all he's a hunter and a man with a complicated make up. He wouldn't have fitted with Doris and Dan.

But nonetheless it was good, after all it is a retro anime with retro make up.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 15, 2018 7:58 PM

Dec 2016
Like anime Castlevania lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 25, 2018 8:54 PM

Jul 2017
Very cool. Very fast moving, maybe too fast in some parts; a lot was told in an hour and a half. I really liked the juxtaposition of D and the vampire. Really liked the colors.
May 31, 2019 10:22 AM

Jul 2008
Rewatched it, and I liked it better the 2nd time around. Probably because I had headphones so I could hear the soundtrack a lot better than on TV the first time around. The soundtrack sounded like Super Castlevania IV in places which is one of my fav videogame soundtrack. The music made the previously boring scenes more interesting, like when there's not much happening.
Aug 24, 2019 9:38 PM
Jul 2018
This movie's total mess.. I think the erratic character design makes this movie so many level wrong. The two main lead designs feels like came out of shojo manga. D's design way too standout than other generic designs but the jap va didn't feel fitting imo. Something felt lacking.

Otherwise the plot was very average but worsen it with very weak direction and riddled with plotholes. It perfectly felt like adapting the first chapter of D and should have really done in tv length episode since many of the plot elements ultimately didn't played out much.

While so much negatives to say at the end thanks to extremely straightforward plot execution with the retro 80s dark aesthetics made it nice watch.
Feb 10, 2020 2:39 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty much bog standard old anime. Best part was how ridiculously ugly those foreheads on the girls were lol
Apr 25, 2020 12:32 AM

Jul 2008
Definitely a product of it's time. I enjoyed it for what it was so 7/10
Oct 31, 2020 8:07 PM
~Watching Anime

Oct 2018
I just did a Halloween rewatch of this movie, and it was fun. I'm glad I can still enjoy anime like this one.
Bloodlust is a great movie, but this one is a dated classic. Still fun though...
Have suspicions, not faith.
Feb 11, 2021 2:11 PM

Aug 2017
Pantsushots didn't exactly fit the intended dark atmosphere (as well as the ending song), but whatever. Doris even has a holster ensuring that her skirt is pulled up a bit lol.

Kaneto Shiozawa (who voiced another character named Rei in Hokuto no Ken, funny) :3 And Motomu Kiyokawa!

Crows making an infinity sign in the air, ha

"Impure red women's moon" I see.

D's left hand is not the first time the whole "hand with a mouth/eye/face" thing gets explored

Pretty sure there was a Kenshiro cameo in the village.

Despite looking pretty, the film still reused some animation (like Dan shooting the red ghost or whatever). Though I applaud that decision of just reversing a cut to show Lee's regenerating eye xD

I'm sure Amano's designs could've been adapted better though. Not all feel that original (Rei surely reminds me of Gundam Jerid + Gunbuster Smith, maybe something else)

Overall, as cliche as it gets. I wonder if the novels are like this too (though I'm not inclinced to dive into 28 or what volumes for that). D is still a mystery...at least he seemed to give a smile at the end. Cute to see him do it with the sword of Doris' father.

P.S. How did Doris not suffer literally any consequences from the initial bite?

P.P.S. Lamica's seemingly aristocratic and old-fashioned way of talking reminded me of Oshino Shinobu.
St0rmbladeFeb 15, 2021 5:02 AM
Feb 23, 2021 12:38 PM

Feb 2020
It was generic vampire movie. Not bad, But nothing particularly good either.
Personally I am not a big fan of those scifi design which was blend with gothic theme. though, protagonist character design was still good.
Overall 6/10 for me
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Sep 3, 2021 11:37 PM

Jan 2009
Even compared to movies of the same era, the quality of art in this one falls very short for most of the runtime, it can be compared to some of the cheaper episodes of City Hunter haha
Urusei Yatsura Beautiful Dreamer was released about 3 years before. I guess they really had the budget equivalent to a shoe string for this one
But even with those problems, I found it enjoyable through most of its runtime. The rich lore of the world really comes across and can keep you engaged. It was better than I expected
Sep 5, 2021 6:27 PM
Nov 2016
Ah, Vampire Hunter D, the first anime movie I actually watched in the 90s in Cartoon Network's "Night of the Vampire Robots", I have a lot of great memories of it.

At that time I was pretty new to animes (even though I have watched other animes before like Space Adventure Cobra and those old stuff...) but this movie hit me like a truck, it was fucking beautiful, Vampire Hunter D was actually the first anime that brought tears to my eyes, later in the 90s I went to a local VHS Store that opened close to my house and to my surprise, it had animes in it so I rented Vampire Hunter D and re-watched the shit out of it plenty of times, I still love this anime till this date.
May 8, 2022 7:36 PM

Jan 2017
Another anime movie on my belt where the things going on really poorly explained and I have to give up on understanding the plot. It wasn't too bad, though girls whose sole role is to be in distress annoy me quite a bit. The thing that messed me up the most was the hand. I forgot about it and thought his sword was talking to him the whole time. Why does he have a talking hand that makes people fall asleep? Why did the hand eat dirt? The dirt-eating scene was my favorite part though.
Sep 30, 2022 7:52 PM
Feb 2018
Great art and some cool looking action scenes, everything else is subpar, so it was ok.
Jun 25, 2023 1:29 PM

Oct 2018
Feels like an average B movie, it does start of in an interesting way with the shades, has some nice use of lighting. Artwork is good enough but action directing leaves a lot to be desired. The bloody eye-popping scenes reminded of the few clips of Fist of the North Star movie I watched on youtube, checks out when you look into the director.
Aug 9, 2023 2:10 PM
Feb 2022
This forum is really a melting pot of shitty takes and a perfect example of group pressure: "this was REALLY bad" - "yeah, actually, you're right" - "well yeah, guess so" - "you guys are sooo right, lol" etc.

Imagine having stuff like Rose of Versailles or Gintama in your favorites and calling this boring, cringy, mid or whatever. 
Nov 19, 2023 12:16 AM
Sep 2023
Reply to Adampk
It was generic vampire movie. Not bad, But nothing particularly good either.
Personally I am not a big fan of those scifi design which was blend with gothic theme. though, protagonist character design was still good.
Overall 6/10 for me
@Adampk
"Typical vampire movie", you say about a movie that ends with a castle turning into a rocket ship and blasting off to the moon
Nov 20, 2023 1:20 AM

Feb 2020
Reply to OfficerPoon
@Adampk
"Typical vampire movie", you say about a movie that ends with a castle turning into a rocket ship and blasting off to the moon
@OfficerPoon
I think you are accidentally on the discussion page of prequel movie. This movie's ending was basically this.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CollapsingLair

AdampkNov 20, 2023 1:33 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

More topics from this board

» Dub Discussion.

JTurner - Oct 8, 2010

5 by JTurner »»
Aug 4, 2015 12:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.