Forum Settings
Forums

Profile: Hide Watching History From Profile [Accepted]

New
Jan 15, 2010 1:58 PM
Jun 2009
Before making any changes to the lists on my real account, I decided to create a test account to check the functionality of private lists. I'm glad I did. Here are my observations:

-The "Last List Updates" section on the profile page shows updates to private lists
-The "Anime You Share" and "Manga You Share" sections on the profile page show the contents of private lists
-Updates to private lists appear in "All History", "Anime History", and "Manga History"
-When adding anime/manga to a private list, your username appears in that anime/manga's "Recent Updates By Users" section

This is just what I found in about 15 minutes of checking, so I'm sure there are other issues as well. Clearly, there is very little privacy for private lists.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
_Ghost_Jan 29, 2016 5:00 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 15, 2010 2:23 PM
Mar 2009
This isn't really a bug, it's just a not really thought-through feature.

It says quite clearly on the My List Settings page:
"If set to private, only YOU (when you're logged in) will be able to view your list."
Jan 15, 2010 11:00 PM
Jun 2009
I would personally consider it a bug, since it is reasonable to expect a private list to actually be private more than superficially (even though the option only specifies the list itself). Anyway, I don't think the classification matters all that much. I doubt anyone would be against such a change, and considering that most of what I listed above should be easy to implement, I do hope it will happen at some point.
Oct 8, 2010 2:31 AM
Jul 2018
Doesn't displaying random anime/manga on the profile page defeat the purpose of setting list to private?

If a list is set to private is it possible to have that change applied to the random anime/manga panels?

_Ghost_Jan 29, 2016 4:56 AM
Oct 8, 2010 2:50 AM

Mar 2010
kenokie said:
Doesn't displaying random anime/manga on the profile page defeat the purpose of setting list to private?

If a list is set to private is it possible to have that change applied to the random anime/manga panels?

Has a Good Point on that aspect of wanting to Be Private, Considerably that super private, In your case your probably just wanting to update yourlist -

Makes sense what he is saying

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 8, 2010 2:55 PM

Oct 2007
there no reason to hide your KissxSis, Kanokon, and Ladies vs Butlers :|

also, mods can see your private lists, so its not that private :P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2010 9:12 PM

Nov 2006
ZEFIs_husbando said:

i dunno about db admins, but i can't see private lists.
Oct 9, 2010 9:15 PM

Oct 2007
windy said:
ZEFIs_husbando said:

i dunno about db admins, but i can't see private lists.

db admins and forum mods can i believe, just like they can see private clubs, private blog entries, ect.
yeah, i don't see what the problem there, it actually only random with yourself
with everyone else its anime you share

now if you were really concerned about hiding, well whatever your trying to hide, should you be complaining about your history, cause i can see everything you read/watched for the past 3 weeks
http://myanimelist.net/history/kenokie
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2010 9:29 PM

Feb 2008
kenokie said:

Your history can be seen too :D, but I think that's editable though (haven't tried it for myself). But seriously, why would you keep a list private on an anime social network site such as MAL? Everyone has his reasons but it defeats a purpose of being here imho.

May 22, 2011 12:13 PM
Aug 2010
The point in making a list private is to hide the status (Plan to Watch, Watching, Completed, etc.) of our entries, and their ratings (10, 9, 8, etc.). One can know what anime is in someone’s list by the “Random anime you share” function but we can’t know if the entry is Completed/Watching/Dropped/whatsoever. OK one can also get the rating by adjusting our own rating to an anime and check if the compatibility with the user has increased/decreased but this would be insane.

However, the status of our entries and their ratings too appear in the Stats page of the anime.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10739/Panty_&_Stocking_in_Sanitarybox/stats&m=all

As you can see, one can see that Dr_Jan_Itor_List has completed the OVA and rated it a 2, although their list is private.

I’m pretty sure this isn’t intentional, so here I am reporting it.

edit: OK there’s also the history to stalk the status of someone’s entry, but in a lesser extent, and fuck.
lpfMay 22, 2011 12:18 PM

May 22, 2011 12:36 PM
Jan 2009
Why does this matter? The concept behind making your opinions on cartoons private is asinine to begin with, never mind going to such a ridiculous extent to hide things like this from people who would never, ever care enough to look for it. I'm sure Xinil and the other coding people have better things to worry about.
May 22, 2011 4:53 PM

Oct 2007
i stalk your rss feed
May 22, 2011 5:29 PM

Jun 2008
I think the amount of privacy you have now is all that you need.

I don't think someone is going to go through that much trouble to try and see what you rated some specific anime.. If someone sees that your list is private then thats about as far as it will go. They wont take it any further than that.. I mean why would they?

Its just a list of anime.
May 23, 2011 12:33 AM

May 2008
It's true that private lists are not very private. The entire list can be accessed via the API for example, without authenticating. Making them truly private in history and recent update feeds on anime pages and all the other places may prove difficult, but should likely be on the future improvement list already. If you have things you need to keep secret, don't put them on your list.

I am a banana.
May 5, 2012 6:21 PM
Oct 2010
I know this is very similar to one of the suggestions that we're not supposed to post, but it;s completely different.

Basically, we have the option to turn our anime/manga lists to private to stop people from viewing them, but the recent history tab on our profiles kinda defeats the whole purpose...What I'm saying is we should have the option of removing the recently watched tab off our profiles.

Reason I'm suggesting this is because my friend keeps pissing me off by copying everything I watch or plan to watch. I even set my list to private but he can still see what I'm watching from the recently viewed tab. Is this something do-able?

_Ghost_Jan 7, 2016 2:58 PM
May 5, 2012 8:22 PM

Mar 2009
Good point since the history feature defeats the purpose of having private lists.
May 5, 2012 8:26 PM

Mar 2012
Shouldn't you be happy your friend wants to watch the same stuff as you?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 6, 2012 8:00 AM
Oct 2010
Well it's different really....I got him into anime at first. Then, after he started watching many more anime, I got him to make an account on here to keep track of his stuff. After a while, he started watching more stuff than me and bragging that he has more entries in his list than me etc etc. And he keeps annoying me cuz whenever I add something to ptw, he checks my list and starts to watch it right away just so he can keep bragging "Oh yeah, I saw that a long time ago". And I even asked him dude why are you copying everything I'm watching? And he keeps denying it even though its obvious he is. A week or two ago I added blood lad and a couple other unaired anime to ptw and about 2 days later I notice on my panel that he added them to ptw as well...Just a couple of days ago I added xxxholic to ptw, and last night I noticed he's already 5 episodes into the anime...

Long story short, he's pissing me off and I want his eyes off my list or history.
May 7, 2012 7:11 AM

Aug 2011
Who cares if he wants to watch what you want? Great he watches everything you plan to watch, it just means you get to talk about it while you watch it. I could only see the problem in it if he only watched them to tell you spoilers about them but it doesn't sound like he's doing that at all.

From what I've read the whole thing sounds childish and dumb. Oh and your suggestion would work better if it just auto disabled history when you put you list to private.
May 9, 2012 7:52 AM
Oct 2010
Neowu said:
If he's on your friends list delete him and change your username.

If I delete him off my friends list do I also disappear from his friends list as well?
May 9, 2012 8:06 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
stunts said:
If I delete him off my friends list do I also disappear from his friends list as well?

Yes.
If you want to change your name: he can still find your new name if you have some other connection with him, for example comments or PMs. In case of comments you can just remove all of them but even if you remove the PMs in your inbox/sendbox, they will stay in his inbox/sendbox. Same for forum posts, when you change your name, your posts will also show your new name. He can also find you through clubs your both a member in.
May 9, 2012 8:47 AM
Feb 2011
some friend he seems to be if you're so annoyed by him so much...
May 9, 2012 8:56 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Yes, if you know the ID... but most people don't know about this. There are generally many ways to find you but not everything needs to be made public. If people want to change their identity so that others don't find them anymore it should be respected.
May 9, 2012 9:13 AM
Oct 2010
Great, thanks for all your replies guys.
I thought of that myself, the fact that he could still find me through certain connections, but we currently share no comments/PMs, and he doesn't browse the forum nor does he know my user ID. The only way he can possibly find me is if he remembered one of my friend's names and checks their friend list for me.

@cashdaxxx, as much as he annoys me, I can't punch him because he's still my friend in the end. I just need to keep him off my anime list, lol.

Also another thing I noticed that should be changed is the history page. Even if someone sets their anime list to private if you would go to http://www.myanimelist.net/history/usernamehere the page would still appear...So much for privacy, lol
May 9, 2012 10:46 PM

Jun 2007
One other cheap workaround would be to not update your status on a given series until after you're finished watching it. If you need to keep track, there's always private spreadsheets and text files you could use.
Jun 4, 2012 5:03 PM
Oct 2010
So I know its been a while but here's a small update to this suggestion.

Is it maybe possible to just have an option to make your lists available only to friends? Also there are lots of holes to plug with the whole private list thing...the history page is public no matter what your privacy settings are, and you also appear at the bottom of an anime page if you added an episode of that anime to your list recently (Recently Watched By) I know that because that's how my idiot friend found me even after I removed him from friends and changed my name...
Jul 26, 2012 12:09 AM

Mar 2009
Even though an anime or manga list may be private, random selections from (and updates to) that list still show on a user's public profile page. Of course for a lot of people an information leak like this is trivial. However, people keep their lists private for different reasons, and in some cases they may not wish random selections or updates to show either. At the moment, 3rd parties can more or less "reverse engineer" a private list by simply visiting the profile enough times.
Jul 26, 2012 3:20 AM

Mar 2009
Yeah I've always thought it's stupid that your list is "private" but people can still see the random anime generated on your profile. It should be removed.
Oct 4, 2012 1:46 PM
Sep 2009
Yes, I support this. MAL needs better privacy and security.
Oct 8, 2012 12:00 PM

Dec 2010
Ehh.... it's the internet I mean, I don't think everyone will target your anime list for any real reason. But have at it mates
Oct 16, 2012 7:34 AM

Jul 2007
Are we ever gonna get the option to hide the history? It's quite the privacy killer when people can look up when you've been at the pc watching this and that, reason why I don't update my list on this profile anymore.
Oct 16, 2012 11:43 PM

Aug 2010
I'm against one word posts/questions, but still...

Why?

I don't think someone's going to stay with hours on your history to see your viewing preferences and times... unless you have a stalker. In case you have a stalker, simply change your username and try to hide whatever connections you had to the old username.

Also, not to sound like I was born with apathy, but why are you complaining when people already know your timezone? (you said you're from Japan) For random people, one thing you could is changing your timezone from 'profile -> edit' (I think this should change the dates and hours from history to whatever timezone you chose) and deleting your location. For stalkers in particular, the solution you found - making a second account - is also good, so I don't see the reason to all the fuss :D
Oct 17, 2012 1:47 AM

Mar 2008
Why you care if people look at your anime history? I mean it is an anime listing website, make a notepad document named Anime List then on your computer and save it to your desktop if you are about privacy. Disabling comments on your profile and blocking PMs would also make communication with you impossible, if say someone wanted to ask you about an anime or talk with you about it. ^^ I really don't care if people see my history, I watch what I want to watch.
Oct 17, 2012 1:54 AM

Oct 2012
I don't understand how your privacy is compromised by the history feature. How does anybody know you're watching these in real time? I sometimes update my list several hours after completing an episode, sometimes the next day even.
Oct 17, 2012 2:04 AM

Jul 2007
Adam_Chase said:
I don't understand how your privacy is compromised by the history feature. How does anybody know you're watching these in real time? I sometimes update my list several hours after completing an episode, sometimes the next day even.

Mal Updater updates the list on the go. Our lists are not private either, even if you set it to private anyone can still access it via the API.
Oct 17, 2012 2:12 AM

Oct 2012
But your list doesn't update on it's own, is what I'm trying to say. How would anyone really know what you're watching in real time, even if you updated your list minutes after completing an episode? How would they know if you just finished watching something or if you finished it three weeks ago and are just getting around to updating your list?
Oct 17, 2012 9:10 AM

Nov 2010
Adam_Chase said:
But your list doesn't update on it's own, is what I'm trying to say. How would anyone really know what you're watching in real time, even if you updated your list minutes after completing an episode? How would they know if you just finished watching something or if you finished it three weeks ago and are just getting around to updating your list?
The thing is MALupdater is a program that automatically updates your list while watching anime, as soon as you finish or whatever then it adds an episode to whatever series she was watching automatically. It's true that they won't know what time she actually watched the anime if she does it manually, but she will probably still be paranoid.

They probably won't change the settings at alll. You will just have to work around it like koleare said. There are things that you could do, you can always make a new account just for your anime, and don't put any info on there at all. Or just use a notepad or something like that, the settings will probably never change.
Oct 17, 2012 10:03 PM

Oct 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
The thing is MALupdater is a program that automatically updates your list while watching anime, as soon as you finish or whatever then it adds an episode to whatever series she was watching automatically.

Thank you for clearing that up. I wasn't aware of MALupdater and wasn't sure what the OP meant when they referred to it.

So, they're complaining about software they willingly installed invading their privacy on a site they joined voluntarily? Guess I just don't understand.

Not saying that the idea to make history private isn't a good idea. The ability to personalize our profiles even further sounds cool to me. I just don't see that there's an issue with privacy.
Oct 17, 2012 11:20 PM

Nov 2010
Adam_Chase said:
IntroverTurtle said:
The thing is MALupdater is a program that automatically updates your list while watching anime, as soon as you finish or whatever then it adds an episode to whatever series she was watching automatically.
Thank you for clearing that up. I wasn't aware of MALupdater and wasn't sure what the OP meant when they referred to it.

So, they're complaining about software they willingly installed invading their privacy on a site they joined voluntarily? Guess I just don't understand.

Not saying that the idea to make history private isn't a good idea. The ability to personalize our profiles even further sounds cool to me. I just don't see that there's an issue with privacy.
Not they, she is. And it's weird I know, but she doesn't want people to be able to see what she adds but she wants to be able to add them.

It comes up a lot, people want to be able to hide hentai from their list and other things like that. Other people just feel creeped out that someone can know what you've been doing. I understand but I don't think it will ever change.
Oct 17, 2012 11:45 PM

Oct 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Not they, she is.

I only said "they" because "they" don't have a gender listed in their profile, sorry.

I think I understand now though, thanks. I don't think it'll change either.
Apr 25, 2013 2:13 AM

Jul 2007
Apr 25, 2013 2:22 AM

Aug 2012
Dang, what an ancient suggestion, and still not updated by a mod.

Honestly, I'm not sure how they can fix this. Because even if MAL somehow does manage to fix it, Malgraph can just bypass it and see everything anyway, (a great example of which is how it's able to see past private lists).

Quite the bummer that you may have a potential stalker after all these months. Best of luck to your suggestion, Kotori...
Apr 25, 2013 7:57 AM

Nov 2010
MellowJello said:
Dang, what an ancient suggestion, and still not updated by a mod.

Honestly, I'm not sure how they can fix this. Because even if MAL somehow does manage to fix it, Malgraph can just bypass it and see everything anyway, (a great example of which is how it's able to see past private lists).

Quite the bummer that you may have a potential stalker after all these months. Best of luck to your suggestion, Kotori...
No Malgraph can't bypass it.
Apr 26, 2013 1:00 PM

Jun 2008
Stop using MALupdater and update your list in bulks.
Apr 27, 2013 7:29 AM

Mar 2010
Chibi-Alice said:
Stop using MALupdater and update your list in bulks.
Would you really want to suggest the creator of MALupdater to stop using the software they created?
Jun 28, 2013 9:58 PM

Jul 2010
If someone wants to keep them private, you should not be showing a few of their list on the front page. Some people keep it private for a reason.
Jun 29, 2013 12:45 AM

Oct 2011
He's got a point here!
Jun 29, 2013 2:42 AM

Jul 2009
and what if some stalker starts refreshing the page over and over again just to see all of the titles ! oh no the tragedy !
Jun 29, 2013 2:46 AM

Jun 2012
I've been thinking about this one too...

Why do they do that.

It feels like whenever someone I know looks at my list, some title like "Please Rape Me" shows up in the random section.
Jun 29, 2013 7:34 AM

Nov 2010
YorozuyaGinSan said:
I've been thinking about this one too...

Why do they do that.

It feels like whenever someone I know looks at my list, some title like "Please Rape Me" shows up in the random section.
I got Tsuma no Haha Sayuri

I guess it's a good idea, normal users won't be able to see anything. But using the API you can see all of someone's private list.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why does MAL not support catbox.moe image links?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

0 by vasipi4946 »»
Yesterday, 3:07 PM

» Got 502 Bad Gateway trying to create topic in Support

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

0 by vasipi4946 »»
Yesterday, 3:00 PM

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3366 by Midoriya_lzuku »»
Yesterday, 2:57 PM

» Invalid ID provided.

Zagafon - Sep 10, 2016

2 by Kitsunes97 »»
Yesterday, 9:24 AM

» Sort your list by member count/poularity?

paperkitten - Jun 17, 2010

1 by abdallah929 »»
Yesterday, 7:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.