Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]
Apr 5, 2018 2:12 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Xenocrisi said:
Why is this anime so good?

Exactly my thoughts, despite nothing shocking really happening, it does suceed in grabbing your heart, alot of emotions here. I hope it got through to those sisters somehow...
Aug 21, 2018 7:49 AM

Jun 2015
WTH was that Yam Yam ending.

Sep 15, 2018 2:06 PM
Dec 2014
Subaru finally learned a sense of urgency in the last two episodes which is an improvement. Yeah he is stressing himself out, but he is in a situation where it makes a lot more sense for him to be under pressure. And.. in a way it paid off in terms of information acquired, lap pillow, and maybe, just maybe the sisters have softened their view of him. Showing that he knows where the replacement vase is the kind of mistake he needs to watch out for given that half the mansion find him suspicious.

At this point, there are various hints (though possibly false leads) that Subaru was summoned by the witch and his ability is also part of the package. Hopefully there there will be a decent explanation eventually. I also wonder if it is more than sheer coincidence that Emilia look like the witch.

Emilia is obviously too nice to be the witch described in the lore, but I would find it interesting if they aren't completely unrelated or at least part of the witch plan for something. Perhaps it is not complete coincidence that someone who appear to be brought to this world by the witch, very quickly meet and become smitten by someone fitting the description of the witch.
Sep 16, 2018 1:13 AM

Jul 2014
@AxBattler
Unfortunately the anime will not answer most of your questions. It adapts the first three arcs and the answers are in arc 4.

If you don't mind spoilers, you can PM me for some answers.
Feb 25, 2019 7:13 PM
Jan 2019
Without a doubt, Emilia is one of my favorite characters. I love her. Subaru has earned my respect. I will not deny it, I could not help dropping a tear with this chapter. What moving scenes. Impossible not to get attached to the characters of this anime.
Mar 14, 2019 5:19 PM
Aug 2018
So it's implied that either Emilia is the witch (looks like her?) or that she is crazy enough to don't bother about that "fear of death" thing.

If it was the witch that does all that resurrection stuff to Subaru, then she must have a goal in mind.

If that goal was to help Emilia become the next ruler, and Emilia was the witch, why would she lose her memory aswell?
And why does she put him through all those trials?

The people aroud Emilia hate the witch (maids), they smell the witchs doing on Subaru. But then it would be crazy if she was right beside them. And there was something influencing Subaru when he was about to tell Emilia about this resurrection stuff.

So Subaru thinks that Emilia is the witch, but she isn't? MMh, I wonder where this story will go...
Apr 13, 2019 7:10 PM
Dec 2017
Still a very interesting story so far. So many questions and I'm looking forward to getting the answers. I like Subaru better now. This has gotta be the 3rd time I've seen him breakdown and cry (and we're not even at the half way mark yet). Can't help but feel for him. So far his special ability is dying. Can't wait till I find out what's going on.
Apr 20, 2019 12:09 PM

Jun 2015
i haven't even to where people say rem is gonna be best girl, but i already have my heart and best girl reader on emilia. subaru has earned my upmost respect though, he's probably one of my favorite protagonists so far.
May 4, 2019 2:45 PM

Apr 2014
-This redo feels more like a rebirth, in that Subaru now appears to have a truer sense of purpose and urgency after the mental breakdown and despair. He did try too hard though this time around and came off as obviously unstable to the others, but that worked in his favor and accelerated his endearment with them. Putting up a front to the others, another front to himself, but inside he is suffering and lonely. I had expected that the show would be primarily action coming in, but I like how it's been more of a psychological thriller with political intrigue.

-Curious what sort of connection Subaru and Emilia have with the Witch exactly, given that the others keep commenting on his scent and how her appearance is similar. One of the sealers of the witch was a dragon, and the previous King's family had made a contract with a dragon. Hmm... Where is the Witch's body if they couldn't destroy it? If it was known to be Emilia then I doubt she would be as free as she currently is. Perhaps the Witch's spirit is inside Subaru due to some summoning ritual, and both Subaru and the Witch desire Emilia for separate reasons (Emilia could be a compatible new vessel). I mean there's some conscious force within him preventing him from revealing his ability, and that may be the same one that granted it to him.

ZeroDragonMay 4, 2019 2:53 PM
Aug 11, 2019 5:56 AM

Apr 2013
So he really got that curse in that village? Seems kinda boring to me. But if that's really true, he, Rem and Ram should go back to Beatrice after shopping and let her look them up and remove the curse if necessary. Also Emilia is best girl by a large margin so far.
Sep 22, 2019 8:15 PM

Jul 2013
Subaru tried so hard to earn Rem and Rams respect. But it was way to much to handle for him. Puck was absolute right about Subaru. He hasn't processed all the events which happen and doesn't act like himself. At some point that just leads to a mental breakdown.

Emilia is the best. That moment Subaru lay on her lap was beautiful. Subarus va did such a good job in showing Subarus true feelings. I'm also glad Rem saw a little bit of it. That was very important. I think I personally would have gone insane a long time ago.

Subaru also found out some interesting things even if it doesn't explain his and Emilias connection to the witch.

What a relief that we didn't get a cliffhanger.

Nov 17, 2019 9:15 AM

Aug 2018
Now this episode, was heartwarming the scene where his cry like a bitch in Emilia's lap was very emotional, I was laughing so hard
Overall Good EP
Mar 13, 2020 11:23 PM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Emilia's lap pillow <3
Apr 14, 2020 10:05 PM

Jun 2013
saengdao said:
i haven't even to where people say rem is gonna be best girl, but i already have my heart and best girl reader on emilia. subaru has earned my upmost respect though, he's probably one of my favorite protagonists so far.

Same, Emilia is my favorite girl so far but I love all the characters both male and female and even the side characters like the appa merchant.

I like how Subaru is straightforward with his thoughts about falling in love with Emilia, loving the twins, etc. even though it is out of jest, he's not bumbling over his words. He is limited as we saw before, he cannot tell anyone about his powers but he's doing his best so far.
臭い-
Apr 15, 2020 2:49 AM

Jul 2014
Bibimbapski said:
saengdao said:

Same, Emilia is my favorite girl so far but I love all the characters both male and female and even the side characters like the appa merchant.
It was the 18th episode that converted many people to the Church of Rem ;)
Apr 15, 2020 7:15 AM

Jun 2013
mozgow said:
Bibimbapski said:

It was the 18th episode that converted many people to the Church of Rem ;)

Just finished ep 15 and she already got my heart but I still love Emilia and the others.
臭い-
Apr 27, 2020 2:24 PM

Jun 2017
There's only a little lead on this episode. I want to know more! This anime is captivatingly mysterious. You can't help but keep wondering what's going on! The good part about this episode though is that at least Subaru didn't die.....yet!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Jul 3, 2020 12:19 AM

Apr 2020
[Rewatching]
Damn. That Subaru breakdown really hit so hard
Jul 8, 2020 7:33 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The heck? No brutal scenes of Subaru's death here? Impossible! Even he got some short magic lesson by Pack, and his attribute was a dark? Impreposterous! Still, the level of cuteness toward every girl here was indeed increasing. The mental breakdown statement was understandable. Its not too late to healed that loss. After that, everything came as clear as crystal. Thanks to Subaru's skill that melt Betia's heart, he got some solid hinted about the deadly cursing on the previous matter. Its not too late to changed the dead flag, right?

After undeniable cringe moment with Subaru and Emillia, its time to get everything more serious. Its time to solved the deadly cursed and prevent the dead end with the twin sisters by getting their trust!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Sep 16, 2020 12:38 PM
Aug 2020
This episode was really good!
Sep 17, 2020 4:54 PM
Oct 2019
Follow up the best episode (episode 7) with maybe the worst (episode 8).

Barusu was annoying af all episode. CHILL OUT, DUDE! Then that whole "lap pillow" scene was ridiculous. Elf girl feels so robotic. I can't believe all you weirdos call her "best girl". Gtfoh. She's a lame character.

I wonder if she actually is "the witch" though.

Barusu has shadow magic. Ok. Neat. But he can't use it. Looks a lot like that creepy magic hand grasping his heart.

And I think the dog is the shaman.
HagePotPotatoSep 17, 2020 5:03 PM
Sep 27, 2020 1:36 PM

Oct 2013
Good to know that everything starts to clarify more with each time reset!

I wonder if Subaru crying and confessing how bad he felt was just him not being able to cope with all those emotions, or maybe it was Emilia's work (a spell of some sort or something)?

By the way, what if that bald dog cursed Subaru somehow? Or rather transmitted the curse after biting Subaru?
AdnashSep 27, 2020 1:40 PM
Oct 19, 2020 11:57 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Am I dumb or something I don’t get what’s happening... but I don’t care I’m loving it anyway

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 10, 2020 6:20 AM

Jun 2020
Emilia-tan ♡________♡ She’s the sweetest

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Feb 12, 2021 11:11 AM

Jan 2018
ngl I kinda teared up a bit at Subaru's breakdown

This anime is depressing man
Feb 28, 2021 3:56 AM

Feb 2019
Emilia, omg, she's a goddess

Subaru takes control of his life back, but not too long..
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Mar 6, 2021 7:21 PM
Jul 2020
I loved that episode. This episode is what made me officially love every single one of the characters. Especially Emilia. I think the relationship she has with Subaru is adorable. The scene where he was in her lap and started to let out all of his emotions actually made me tear up.
May 31, 2021 4:38 AM

May 2020
Subaru is back, yet again.

We finally get to learn the Magic System, it's fairly simplistic on the surface.
There are two priary types of power systems.

Magic - The user uses their own mana.
Spirit Arts - The user uses mana in the atmosphere.

To use Magic, you need to use your Gate which every person has, even Subaru even though he is from another world.

There are 4 basic attributes of magic, simply Fire, Water, Wind and Earth. There's also 2 other attributes which are rarer, Yin and Yang, or Shadow and Light respectively.

Subaru's attribute is Yin/Shadow. Subaru attempts to cast Shamac and ends in catastrophe.

"It's more satisfying to hear a single "thank you" than a lot of "sorrys".
I like this quote from Emilia.

We gain more information about the Witch of Envy, Satella. She supposedly devoured Six other witches long ago.
Whether that actually happened or not is still up in the air.

We also learn that she was sealed with the combined powers of a Dragon, a Hero and a Sage.

Subaru is acting too eager and weird, and is trying too hard to get along with everyone and gain their trust.

He is really wearing himself out, putting up a tough act, like nothing's a problem, it's admirable he can go this far and not break right away but it's especially sad that it's the only way he thinks he can gain the respect of others, by acting like a weirdo, feeling like he needs to do everything he can, even pushing himself to the limits of his physical and mental capability because he can't fail, he must suceed this time and overcome this loop, if not then what else can he do? He can't do anything, he's useless in everything. So at least he needs to put in the effort and turn that nothing into something. Eventually it becomes too much for his body to handle and he breaks down from the fatigue, both physically and mentally.

And Emilia gives him a lap pillow.

"It's been rough, hasn't it?"
That line hits really hard, and Subaru completely breaks down crying on Emilia's lap, a sense of relief and comfort, and a large weight taken off his shoulders, it's satifying, just the sheer relief he must have felt to vent out his frustrations and to let out the pent-up emotions he has been desperately trying to keep inside of him.

"It was rough. It was so painful. I was so scared. I was so sad. It hurt so much, I though I'd die."
I love this chain of lines, it describes perfectly the situation his in.

"Because I loved this place... Because it was so important to me... I was so desperate to get it back... I was scared. I was so scared! I didn't want those eyes looking at me like that again... And I hated myself so much for feeling that way!"
After the powerful previous episode, Episode 8 is definitely not weaker in comparison, Emilia comforted the exhausted Subaru and was one of the moments that made me truly love her as a character and the series in general, this is what the show excel at, moments of catharsis and release, and raw emotion spew out everywhere, which makes it very emotional and satisfying. We get to see our hero through his journey and the wish to save the people he loved, we see his high points, his low points and everything. The struggles he's faced, the suffering he had to endure and the emotional and climactic moments where his character takes a major turning point, we see him change and develop, in good and bad ways, we see him learn different lessons and grow as a person in many different ways, we root for him, we want him to succeed and achieve that happy ending he so desperately soughts after. Conclusion: Subaru is an amazing character.

Funny interactions with Beatrice, we also get her nickname this episode. Beako!

"The lap pillow, right?"
"It was the lap pillow"
"Huh?"
Nov 20, 2021 8:20 AM

Jul 2017
Subaru was pretty damn wacky for most of this episode but for once, it felt justified and I didn't have much of an issue with it. Guy was forcing himself to be overly optimistic and get everything done so that he manages to gain everyone's trust at least so that others don't kill him, while he researches about curses too. It was annoying but for reasons that made sense with the development of the series rather than him just being wacky and over-the-top for the sake of it, which had happened in previous episodes this season.

All of that excessive hard work on top of what he was feeling stress wise from previous experiences led to him breaking down just a bit after Emilia gave him a lap pillow and recognized that he's pushed himself too far and has a lot of stress and fear underneath the eccentric personality. The way Emilia approached that whole thing and treated him was really nice I have to say, still not blown away too much by her but scenes like this giving Subaru a bit of peace of mind at points is a good touch. His weird bonding with Beatrice too is nice too on the side. Some lore building too here surrounding the mana gates through Puck's earlier interactions with Subaru.
Nov 21, 2021 4:14 PM

Jan 2021
Emilia a real one for helping out Subaru like that

Jan 4, 2022 4:25 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
He needed that breakdown. Also, these episode titles are keeping true faith for their light novel origins.
Jan 13, 2022 5:36 PM

Feb 2021
Sorta get the hype around this but it's not really that special so far. Idk how I felt about this episode
Feb 14, 2022 11:25 PM
Jul 2016
This shows got potential, but it's got some issues too.

Ever since SAO Isekai anime are a dime and dozen and it's hard to stand apart. The whole 'save point' aspect is a novel approach that I am digging unfortunately the MC Subaru is annoying as **** at times.

His characterisation and reactions to situations are well thought out, that's not the issue. It's more so his personality in general. His exuberance is a bit over the top but what I find really irritating is the way he constantly flatters Emilia and the other female characters - It's just so cringe-worthy. Sadly some guys are going to think that's how it's done especially since Emilia was created to be waifu material to begin with.
Jul 10, 2022 3:24 PM

Feb 2018
Subaru's mental is over 9000. The stress and torture must be a lot to shoulder.. That's why a lap pillow always makes things better :p
Aug 25, 2022 3:43 PM

May 2022
emotional and cute episode, Subaru deserves that lap pillow. it just shows how hard he wants to work, and finds the mansion and the people in there important to him, and that makes him great. he doesn't want to suffer anymore, he does his best to make things right. I wonder if Subaru can master his magic skills, it would be pretty awesome to see him use some magic
Sep 17, 2022 1:47 PM
Dec 2020
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Oct 10, 2022 4:52 PM

Aug 2021
really great episode. subaru and emilia's relationship finally getting that pivotal moment after so many restarted loops was great to see. i am a bit confused though but i think i understand, so emilia knows about subaru's restart power right? or at least to a degree? that's what i'm picking up but i feel that may also be wrong. actually, i don't think she knows but that she has at least a hunch that something is up
Oct 15, 2022 8:11 AM
Nov 2020
Subaru has serious "just some guy" syndrome
Nov 4, 2022 12:57 AM

Apr 2021
I kinda get the power system now. This world has the concept of mana, magic, gates, attributes and things like that. That's pretty interesting. And yeah I guess with all the looping and stuff, Subaru was filled with guilt and fear, not to mention a lot of stress. But welp, that lap rest took it all away!!! "Beako", that's a nice nickname.
Dec 14, 2022 9:08 PM
Apr 2021
This turns out to be just another average shonen anime. Thank God it only has 2 seasons.
Feb 5, 2023 12:42 PM
Feb 2021
I really wish Subaru was a more likeable character. I feel bad saying that because he's kinda... but yknow, he's just really unlikable for some reason. That's not to say he's a bad protagonist, it's just weird that I don't really care if he's happy or not.
Aug 22, 2023 3:07 PM
Jan 2023
Another good episode, definitely enjoyed it.

Interesting that Subaru has shadow magic, that certainly is different. Given the possible relation to the witch that this curse Subaru has, perhaps the witch used shadow magic?

I loved the development between Subaru and Emilia, nice to see something a bit different.

Not a surprise Subaru ended up making himself sick by the end of the second day, he was using way too much energy.

And off to the village, this could be interesting. Going on a different day could completely bypass that curse, which will hopefully progress the story on a bit.
Nov 14, 2023 8:30 PM

Aug 2023
Story: 8/10
Visual: 8/10
Detailed: 7/10
Characters: 7/10
Emotions: 6/10
Smoothness: 7/10
OP/ED: -/10
Audio: 8/10
Originals: 7/10
Intense: 6/10
Uniqueness: 6/10
Fun/Laughter: 3/10
NSFW: 3/10
Boring/Annoyance: 8/10

こんにちは!私の名前はマルハザクです! こんにちは!私の名前はマルハザクです!
Nov 24, 2023 1:23 PM

Dec 2022
"When he feels better, you can punish him". As we've seen recently, Rem has a particularly eager "tough love" approach to punishment, so Subaru might not be feeling better for much longer.

Why does Subaru love this mansion again? It hasn't exactly done much to endear itself to him, has it? It's the kind of place you'd be hearing tales of ghosts and wraiths haunting the hallways centuries into the future, being the deathtrap that it is.

Shaded Horizon

Dec 15, 2023 7:36 AM

Nov 2023
Aww, what a cute cat (or dog?) she has there
Jan 1, 11:52 PM
Jan 2024
Re:Zero is an enthralling masterpiece that seamlessly weaves together elements of fantasy, drama, and psychological depth. The series captivates its audience with its intricate storytelling, compelling characters, and a protagonist whose struggles feel incredibly real and relatable. The way it tackles themes of resilience, consequences, and personal growth within a dark and immersive world is truly commendable. Re:Zero's ability to keep viewers on the edge of their seats while delivering profound emotional impact is a testament to its exceptional storytelling and unique take on the isekai genre.
Jan 4, 7:22 PM
May 2018
I saw little character growth and grew bored of the show.
Apr 4, 12:23 PM
Dec 2023
all episodes are good especially when subaru dies
Apr 15, 6:32 PM
Jan 2024
Subaru's really all in with this life, hopefully this is the time he won't die again.
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Yesterday

30 by IhnalakoKaina »»
10 minutes ago

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.