Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 1, 2016 4:22 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Does anyone know when I the dub for ep 3 will be out?
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Nov 9, 2016 3:05 AM

Dec 2015
@Tracer_Senpai Doesn't Bandai do the dubbing even before the release of each OAV?

Anyway, if the dub is available, be aware that every OAV made will be available for free on DAISUKI.
DAISUKI said:
To celebrate the streaming start of Vol. 4, streaming of Vol.1 to 3 will be available worldwide for free starting November 18, 12:00pm (JST) until December 17, 11:59 (JST), except in Japan and China.

@Tracer_Senpai Like I thought, the OAVs are dubbed before the (worlwide) release day. That's why you can watch every trailer/preview before the dates either subtitled or dubbed in english: (I suppose the japanese BrD even features it)

Check DAISUKI, you'll see each OAV available in both versions.
Rei_IIINov 13, 2016 3:33 PM
Nov 9, 2016 1:58 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Bandai USA tanked a while back I thought? The first two eps are dubbed, but nothing on 3 or 4 that I've seen.
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Nov 17, 2016 9:09 PM
Oct 2015
Another solid episode. RIP my sides when Char pulled off that fencing mask and was still wearing the shades. Solid movie, nice to see how Char took the moniker on as well as get the mask. Str8 cut throat motherfucker tho man. Blonde hair, blue eyes... he would make a great Lannister. I hope they adapt the whole manga man the team behind this are doing a bang up job. I heard something about them adapting the next arc, are they just doing the next one or did they say they will adapt the whole series?
Nov 18, 2016 12:40 PM
Sep 2016
I don't quite get Charr's motives. The zabi family killed his mother. Why he join the Zeon military. He'd be better off siding with the feddies.
Nov 18, 2016 4:15 PM

Feb 2013
Way better than the first gundam anime. Loving watching Casval "befriend" Garma (knowing what happens later).

Casval is a really good anti-hero/villain. He's starting the war.
Nov 20, 2016 6:32 AM

Dec 2015
@reiko4509 He's simply applying Edmond Dantes strategy here. He wants to circulate among his preys in order to take revenge when the best occasions arise. The war climat will only help him to gravitate in the right circles by using his soldier status.

@MikeFromThe516 Only the next part was announced, because it is another batch of chapters of original content. I doubt that they will animate all the The Origin continuity, but it would be great indeed to get the better fixed version of 0079 (despite the death of cell animation). Let's hope the next wave of OAVs will earn enough money to persuade them to make the main story bit by bit (in the same format, a TV show would be a bad idea)
Nov 21, 2016 7:45 AM

Nov 2011
Put simply, this OVA is roughly a further insight into the controversial figure of Casval, pardon Char (so I will not be the victim in his anger. XD), in a given period and a further analysis of the Zabi family. It will not be exhaustive, but is satisfactory. But the greatness of the direction, was to be able to carry on at the same time, the story in general.

Rei366 said:
Interesting to see the author decided to add some original content and demonstrate Casval's trickery with all the Fernandez plot (this mini story around Char Aznable's old classmate from Texas wasn't in the manga)
The OAV was as good as always BUT there were so many 3D CGI elements. I can understand the vehicles moves are easier in this form, but rooms, landscapes in CGI weren't pretty. The worst was all the instances where people were CGI (not background characters, but ones on the foreground) like Garma and his audience toward the end, or the flying cadets, etc.

3.5/5

@ListAandM They actually choosed to reduce Casval's implication in the One Year War start in this animated adaptation. Yasuhiko had made his role a lot bigger in his manga, I think.

Amuro doesn't appear much in the adapted chapters who are focused on Char and the Zabi's preparation, just a bit more in the last chapters from the "past story" who have been confirmed as the next adapted ones. And if they want, there are also some special chapters about Amuro (at school, before the Gundam incident).

I sure wish the next wave of OAVs will be successful enough to guarantee more OAVs adapting the 0079 retelling volumes. (I know it is wishful thinking)

So, I will have to review the OVA, because I have not noticed all this abuse of CG, and read to force the manga, because the transposition is not so crystal clear.
Nov 21, 2016 8:06 PM

Dec 2008
Char (Casval) is ruthless as fuck!! Understandably so. Considering his past, he's just raping the system/faction that's raped him.
Jan 1, 2017 6:41 PM

Feb 2012
Zeon planned the collision with the EF ship to destroy their own agricultural block, didn't they?

Nice to see the ancestor of Pegasus-class when Garma and Char were collecting the debris

Char Aznable is cunning as fuck.

Fortress_MaximusJan 1, 2017 6:52 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 5, 2017 8:09 PM

Jun 2010
Neat little detail; Char and the other recruits were using bolt-action .22 caliber riffles for basic marksmanship training as has been done in reality for over a hundred years.
Aug 1, 2017 6:15 AM
Jul 2017
Rei366 said:
@reiko4509 He's simply applying Edmond Dantes strategy here. He wants to circulate among his preys in order to take revenge when the best occasions arise. The war climat will only help him to gravitate in the right circles by using his soldier status.

So if I understand this right, in order for him to get close to the head of the Zabi family, he's at this point just causing chaos. Let the two factions fight, then hit the Zabis while they're vulnerable?

Char is nuts. He's a misanthrope that we're all fascinated with. He has a Zabi right in front of him, not sure why he just doesn't dispatch him quickly.

Anyway, great episode. I'm curious to see how quickly his militant environmentalism matures.
I'm still again interested to see why/how he grows to want

Animation was great for the most part. I'm hooked back on UC Gundam for sure. If this level of production continues for Gundam, I'll be more than satisfied.
Aug 1, 2017 7:16 AM

Dec 2015
@laughterjones That's how Yasuhiko decided to make him extremely important to the One Year War. I still think it gives him a far too heavy weight in the universe, but I guess it was mandatory as the character totally outdid 0079 and Gundam in general in the culture.

Why didn't he kill Garma ? I will reuse "Le Compte de Monte Cristo", where Dantes tricked the naive son of his prey in a friendship in order to come closer to the people he wanted to take out (that and the money helped him to gravitate in the same circles). Ultimately, in Gundam, Char reaches the likes of Dozzle and Kycilia.
Also, there is still this line of Char in 0079: "you could have been a friend" or something, who insists on the fact he actually didn't despise him or anything (beyond his name).

About what you call environmentalism, it's his way to inherit his father's Zeonism. It starts in 0079, where he suddenly goes from revenge-focused to trying to convince his sister that he has taken over their father (before reverting back to revenge as suddenly). You see him drifting constantly between the revenge for his parents/mother (his only reason to live), his men rivalry with Amuro (over their abilities, over a girl, over both), him trying to "justify" his father's life.
The Origin, by Yasuhiko, seems to consider that his strongest loss was his deceased mother (probably to connect properly with Char's Counterattack). While his father doesn't seem more a driven man than a loving family head, suggesting Char simply "reproduces" his father's behaviour (in term of preaching) to "justify" him. (sorry, I saw this inother fictions but I don't know how to say it properly in english)

PS: if I am allowed, may I advise you to check the magnificent books published by Vertical to re-live the first story ? Also, if you want to revisit Zeta too, it has been entirely broadcasted on gundam.info (YouTube).
Aug 17, 2017 5:47 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
This episode was a nice turn in the plot, about the Casval life, and his transformation in Char, and how started he personal revenge!!!
Another great episode of one hour to enjoy!!!
Jan 30, 2018 4:28 AM

Dec 2015
Best episode so far, to think Casval already possessed the abilities of a new type at this point in time...
~
Aug 1, 2019 3:26 AM

Dec 2012
Kycilia wants Casval dead.
Edouard is with Char.
Dat gun.
Edouard and Char are switching places.
Those officers are really slow for not noticing their eyes.
Edouard got on the shuttle.
Dat explosion. Edouard is dead.
Dem shades.
Gundam no basuket.
4A Squared.
Char is 18.
His eyeground pigments are abnormal.
Dat girl in the swimsuit in the pic.
Minovsky.
UC 0076.
Garma fell.
Garma is moving in.
Sayla is back.
Sayla will become a doctor.
Lino got Char to goof.
Dem questions.
Dat slap.
Shaft headtilt.
Pick it up!
Dat collision.
Dat rocket boost. Dat explosion.
Mobile Suits.
Lino approaches Char.
Lino knows the truth.
Dat head gear.
Zenna is 20.
Lino is dead.
Dawn Rebellion.
Red is a good color.
Its that boy.
Amuro Ray. Age 13.
Haro is Amuro's friend.
Side 7.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Aug 10, 2019 5:13 PM

Mar 2014
So when Char's friend figured out it was really Casval, instead of turning him in he was more excited it was Daikun's son. Poor Char, guess that guy wasn't really his friend after all lol, didn't even care what happened to the real Char.

Pretty clever method for "Char" to get rid of the guy. Cold as hell having to listen to him begging for help when their own friends killed him
Aug 29, 2019 9:15 AM

Jan 2017
Damn. Char is probably the only character I like from the whole UC route.
“A detective who corners a culprit with their reasoning and drives them to suicide in front of himself – is no different than a murderer.”
– Shinichi Kudo
Nov 4, 2019 4:56 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Absolutely fantastic episode. Char (aka Casval, Edouard Mass) is a smart, cunning mofo. The way he riles Garma is a masterstroke in manipulation. And then doing Char's friend in...absolutely ruthless
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 21, 2020 8:26 AM

Jul 2014
Char "I have never betrayed anyone in my entire life" Aznable.
May 28, 2020 4:29 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
What a blast of an OVA.
It keeps getting better, the animation was the best yet, and the glimpses of mobile suit fights we had, showcased really epic action and fluidity.
High budget overall, even enjoyed the ending music.
I haven't watched any other Gundam other than Turn A and IBO series, so this is the first time I m meeting this cast and the original timeline.
Now to my only negative point with the OVAs so far:

ScienceGirl said:
It's getting interesting! Char is sure evil genius, I feel bad for the real Char and Lino .__.
He calmly killed those two but still care for Garma. Not sure if that is his strategy befriending him though

Fucking Casval itself!
There is no way I can sympathize with his character, fuck no.
And I know currently, I m not in a mood for ruthless MCs, I don't approve anything of what he has done, he is backstabbing people without a sweat, I felt for the real Char Aznable, he was a cool guy, and was friendly to Casval even.

He is an interesting character but not relatable, ever since his childhood he had that arrogant look to it, that I hoped would be softened, maybe into someone that still looked for revenge, but would feel more conflicted and divided, more human.

I really had the wrong impression of Char and this original timeline, never would I have thought he was such a bastard motherfucker.

I m invested to see how far he can get, but I don't expect to cry if he dies, I would rather be waiting that moment to say, you deserved it, you fucker.

Either way, this journey of Char fucking everyone around to get what he wants, been really interesting so far, let's see where this goes to, and I hope there will be someone to put some resistance to his dastardly plans!

Also seems like some stuff is different from the original timeline Gundam, and this is also a retelling with some differences, guess that will help me to watch the original more since it is not a copypaste.
Jul 17, 2020 5:30 PM

Aug 2017
I like that Casval (Char) is going to kill everyone whoever gets in his way, whether its an ally or not. Amd I don't blame him for killing Lino Fernandez since there was a good chance he would reveal his secret sooner or later.

This incident is going to cause more tension between the Federation and Zeon.

Pretty good. 4/5

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 13, 2020 2:03 PM

Nov 2019
well that was interesting, wow they really are taking their time explaining to us the events that unravel here into the one year war. this was all very nice, i must say don really get why but the CGI here is really good and fluid as far as i'm concerned.

NIce ending song once again

goin for the next episode now..........
Nov 17, 2020 2:04 PM

Nov 2015
What's with char's gaze being intimidating to others? they repeat it so much that could be a meme already :D i know the japanese are scared of foreigner's eye color but this over the top

💢

Jan 28, 2021 8:53 PM

Dec 2019
Absolutely incredible. From a young military cadet to the Char we all know, fear, and love; what an episode.
Here we go again...
Jul 6, 2021 3:58 PM

Jun 2014
Char was always one to eliminate anyone who got in his way.

To think, the "One Year War" unfolded because of Char. He was always powerful, but never sane.

Sep 10, 2023 2:50 AM
Aug 2018
Awesome episode full of intense action and very clean art style. It's also a nice nod to the fans to introduce Amuro and his father at the end of the episode.
Sep 28, 2023 10:21 PM

Feb 2020
Char is pretty unhinged.. but cool as hell.

kinda see what people have been talking about, looking forward to seeing more crazy shit lol
also wouldn't it be nice if Char and Garma could just have some rough sex?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 6 Discussion

Led_Wayline - Aug 8, 2018

27 by Aizakira »»
Jan 19, 6:32 AM

» Why did that 🤡 Declare war instead of making Peace Negotiations?

Perfectly_Balanc - Nov 5, 2023

4 by Armio »»
Nov 7, 2023 2:53 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 5 Discussion

Tokoya - Sep 27, 2017

49 by HadToDoIt »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:17 AM

» For direct sequel watch Gundam Zeta

Destined321 - Sep 28, 2023

16 by Destined321 »»
Oct 11, 2023 8:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Fortress_Maximus - Oct 24, 2015

63 by DoisacChopper »»
Sep 28, 2023 6:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.