Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 24, 2016 12:40 AM

Apr 2013
God, that was intense, TV Tropes wasn't kidding when it listed Tora as a woobie. I would've never guessed Hakumen no Mono and Tora were just that intertwined, though. Like ugh, that was horrible, I'm fighting back the waterworks as I type this.

madmotor said:
Raama's voice actor is Nozomu sasaki.
He played the Ushio in 90's ova series of Ushio to Tora.

HOLY SHIT DON'T DO THIS TO ME
Lil-BirdMay 24, 2016 12:51 AM
May 24, 2016 2:19 PM

Apr 2009
hm, nah, i didn't like that they threw in a backstory right there, but i suppose that does wrap up some of those loose ends anyhow,
i kept wondering when the kid i forgot the name of would come back and actually do something though,

so i suppose what's left to do to get rid of Hakuman for good is to kill Tora so he can't be revived again, or something like that -w-

i kinda get pissed at how much catering Ushio gets whenever he's running mad though =_='
I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
May 25, 2016 2:19 PM

Jan 2009
Ooooooooh so that's how Hakumen was born - goddamnit, I feel ya Tora!

Amazing.
May 25, 2016 2:20 PM

Nov 2015
That flashback was heartwrenching. It kind of reminded me of Gaara. Hakumen no Mono was born through Shagakusha's hatred. Later he goes on a journey and finds the beast spear, uses it and becomes an Asafuze, then gets sealed by it for 500 years. Tora has a long history with Hakumen and the beast spear. This episode was 10/10

"The longer you live, the more you realize that reality is just made of pain, suffering, and emptiness." -Madara Uchiha
May 25, 2016 10:16 PM

Sep 2012
Wow, this explains so much, I expected Tora to be a spear user before Ushio, but holy shit. Being the host for Hakumen and not being able to die? Ouch, man...
Friends are there to lend a hand when you can’t do something on your own. It’s not one person doing all the work protecting everyone, we help each other when in need. That’s what friends are for.
May 27, 2016 10:02 AM
Mar 2014
Same Voice Actor
Same Actor Of Kyros The Solider Toy From One Piece
Both Share The Same Voice
Tora > Kogui mori voice
Human Tora > SOL voice
and the awesome thing is all of those 4 are one voice actor
May 27, 2016 9:17 PM

Aug 2010
Intense backstory. Hated the pricks in that village, though.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jun 6, 2016 5:17 PM

Apr 2007
I think this is my favorite episode in the entire series. I've been waiting for Tora's backstory since the beginning and although I already knew he was once human I was still at the edge of my seat the entire episode.

There was just so much that I didn't expect from this. Especially Tora being Hakumen's mommy (lulz). Though I did have a hunch when he went on and on about hatred and had that shoulder pain. Even though Tora may not remember he has such a strong connection to Hakumen that spans thousands of years...damn.

madmotor said:
I didn't watch the original, but that was a nice extra they added :>
Jun 20, 2016 8:21 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, interesting backstory for Tora.
Jun 21, 2016 11:10 AM

Dec 2012
What an amazing backstory. :o Who would've thought something liek that would be Tora's past?
Jun 26, 2016 10:26 PM

Jul 2011
That was really well done how they tied in Tora with the origin of Hakumen no Mono, and also avoiding the cliche haha.

Ushio, what're you going to do now?
Jul 7, 2016 3:04 AM

Mar 2015
Brilliant episode yet again, fleshing out Tora's back story. Finding out more about who he was before becoming an Azafuse has only made me like him more!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 18, 2016 5:46 PM

Mar 2016
FallenUndead said:
Man, I was holding back tears as when I was reading the manga, this anime is coming together nicely.
Still wish we had more room to fill in some of those holes that are being left but still any anime only viewer should be enjoying this NEAR masterpiece..

Also the MUSIC FUCKING ROCKS MANS.

9/5 for me.

At least the "holes" are still inferred, so they're still not really holes.

I'm glad that it was explained how Hakumen really came about existing. It was said before that he was born from the yang of existence, while the yin became humans.

So, as formless darkness, he decided to make a body for himself by essentially 'cursing' a child to fester inside.

Somehow that makes perfect sense.

Now the line from the manga of Tora split in half, "I CAN'T DIE" makes a lot more sense. Here I thought he was just tough, but no... he IS immortal. Would also explain how he survived starving for 500 years in the basement.

Anyone know how Tora stretched his arms to reach the spear, though, as a human? I thought I saw seals, but am not sure. Will probably have to read the manga.

Tora always rides the line between being a great person and a hate machine, and his past life as a human pretty much explains that perfectly.

The only part I didn't like was when he tore the Spear from its seal, too much red cloth remained on it. In the manga, he tore it the same way as the red cloth has been on it since.

I guess it's minor, as you can argue more of it fell off with longer usage, until that last little bit remained, or Tora tore most of it off since he knew it was a seal, etc, but I still liked that direct correlation in the original manga more.

Drake1000 said:
Intense episode so Tora was an indian, a bit confused about the timeline though, they say that Tora is 5000 years old but that his flashback doesn't look that old and also in regards to the china time travel Ushio had in season 1.

The subs I had said 3000.

madmotor said:

Is this confirmed? His voice is engrained in me because of Yu Yu Hakusho, and he pretty much played Ushio the same as Yusuke in the 90s Ushio and Tora... so, either his voice has changed or he played it entirely different, because it didn't sound like him at all to me.

RealPikaman1 said:
That flashback was heartwrenching. It kind of reminded me of Gaara. Hakumen no Mono was born through Shagakusha's hatred. Later he goes on a journey and finds the beast spear, uses it and becomes an Asafuze, then gets sealed by it for 500 years. Tora has a long history with Hakumen and the beast spear. This episode was 10/10

No, Hakumen wasn't 'born' from Tora; he was born when humanity was, as the formless darkness to their light, yang to yin, essentially. He used Tora as a conduit, essentially to create a physical form.
CrimsonCWAug 18, 2016 6:11 PM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Sep 5, 2016 2:50 PM
Dec 2014
I wonder how Tora got sealed by the spear.
Dec 25, 2016 10:22 AM
Jan 2010
God this was beautiful.
Feb 21, 2017 12:39 PM

Jan 2015
Man, wtf did I just watched? BEST EPISODE UNTIL NOW
Feb 28, 2017 12:54 PM

May 2014
Goddamn what an episode, that's a really amazing backstory they put together there.
One of the best I've ever seen.
Tora truly is a great character, but it makes Hakumen no Mono even more of a terrifying villain. I thought Shagakusa was Hakumen at first. 5/5
Apr 18, 2017 12:11 PM

Feb 2013
Hakumen was born from Tora's hate, damn it!
It was too painful to watch him see the only ones who treated him nice die in his hands.
Aug 10, 2017 6:02 AM

Dec 2015
Tora's past...I didn't think it would be so sad, it almost made me cry.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 26, 2017 1:41 AM

Dec 2012
Jun lives!
Dat Towako left booty.
Damn. Dat army.
Dem arrows.
She dead.
Dat HnM birth from Tora's arm.
Raama dead.
Dat reveal.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 3, 2019 8:23 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Man, what an intense episode yet again!

Tora’s backstory was so bawling to watch, especially the moment when the only two he cared for passed away right in front of him. Hakumen coming from the hatred of Tora was like a huge shocker but it makes sense why the Beast Spear would keep Tora stuck to the wall like that for ages. It sought out for its true origin basically and just the realisation of it now is like mind blowing.

Can’t wait to see how Ushio now responds to all this.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 21, 2019 1:04 AM
Jun 2013
omfg 3 depressing episodes in a row. Fucking toras life as a human sucked since birth and the second he found happiness it was all taken away in a flash and he also has the burden of giving birth to the monster hakumen physical form who in turn brought more sorrow.
Jun 9, 2019 2:48 PM
Sep 2017
Wow. Tora’s backstory was so heartbreaking. Lived all his life blinded by hate because of what happened to him as a child, and couldn’t even see or accept when things changed and he was accepted. Then when he finally starts to open up and care about 2 people, they’re killed and die in his arms as a result of that festering hatred that has taken physical form.
I was in tears, as I have been for several episodes now! Can’t believe this anime isn’t more well-known.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2016

101 by Maou_heika »»
Apr 13, 6:46 AM

» How much did they skip?

BestBoiEren - Apr 3, 2016

14 by LynnVy »»
Feb 16, 6:15 PM

» Season 2 questions

VinnyDark70 - Jun 7, 2021

6 by ksm4367 »»
Aug 20, 2023 1:45 AM

» List of Ushio to Tora anime (2015) skipped manga chapters?

MetalTxus - Aug 13, 2017

6 by Tsurugi10 »»
Mar 28, 2023 11:00 PM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2016

63 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Jan 29, 2022 1:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.