Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 15, 2010 8:44 AM

Nov 2007
I see between Baccano and Durara only a vague resemblance with the previous work, and mostly relative to narration/style.
I think they have done extremely good to 'adapt' ('change' is maybe is a too much) the Baccano style in that of Durara and sincerely I am loving it; I am really looking forward for other works by this staff (I saw Natsume Yuujinchou and Zoku for the director Takahiro Omoi, both of Baccano and Durara, and i find amazing that he can change his style so naturally withouth sounding forced). I really admire this director.
The second episode, like the first, was flawless, the rythm of direction and of the narration is something so natural, I cannot believe how this good is.
It is true that in this season there aren't many good shows and Durara stands more in light, but I think it deserve all good comments. Sincerely and honestly, if Durara continues like this (and I'm sure it will) i will find it easily best series of the year (I don't see many promising title at the horizon).

Strictly relatively to episode 2, I strongly dislike Izaya <_< he reminds me of a snake and I don't like his smile.
I need more Simon and I hope they will put him in next episode.

If I understand correctly the flow of Durara, principal introduction are finished, the characters are ready to interact more each other and the main plot will begin slowly to progress; I honestly can't wait to hear the "asa hi wa noboru" of the next week.
Jan 15, 2010 8:46 AM
Nov 2008
Now this is what I expect from the makers of Baccano! The first episode was interesting, but didn't strike me as particularly great or anything. This episode though unexpectedly blew me away. It was absolutely fascinating to watch the same story from the girl's point of view, and I really want to know about the overall story now. Definitely some great characters in here. I can't wait for more!
Jan 15, 2010 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
Man, Izaya is awesome and such a hottie. I absolutely ate up every second he shamelessly explained how he had used Magenta as a mere tool to ease his boredom. I also found myself smirking as he told her that he didn't like her; I too didnt like her that much, though, I felt for her when she didn't realize that her parents acted as if nothing ever happened for her sake.

For the sake of my fangirl-ness, they'd better show a lot more of him from now on.

Overall, this episode is made of win
removed-userJan 15, 2010 10:16 AM
Jan 15, 2010 10:04 AM

Jan 2010
What the hell. This man is like the biggest troll I ever seen. Playing mind games with girls and doesn't afraid of anything.
Jan 15, 2010 10:08 AM

Nov 2008
Good as expected.
Jan 15, 2010 10:10 AM
Jun 2009
great episode...really interesting..
hope they keep it up like this :3
Jan 15, 2010 10:21 AM

Sep 2008
That guy is great. But he also makes me wonder what kind of person is he really if he places others in life-threatening situations just for his amusement.
Jan 15, 2010 10:37 AM

Oct 2009
I liked the first episode, but I loved this one. I'm really excited about this series!
Jan 15, 2010 10:40 AM

Mar 2008
All nicely explained from another perspective.
It was pretty good. Such a shock therapy. But this Izaya it is nevertheless quite good crazy eccentric. Indeed, it is better to avoid. Maybe he was actually difficult life. Everything has its cause.
It was more Celty, phone (good) so she not only adapted the horse but I did not expect that she would save that girl. Another reason to like her.
And I can see that Anri will have problems because the teacher was staring at her so. You can see that he is a suspect.

Jan 15, 2010 10:43 AM

Oct 2008
it was ok.
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Jan 15, 2010 11:06 AM

Jan 2009
Oh great, philosopy in mah DURRRRRRRR? \|  ̄ヘ ̄|/
Woah, she really was quiet as quiet as I expected ( ◔ ◔)

Izaya seems to be a interesting bastard ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Damn such an interesting guy ( ╹◡╹)

Anywho, I like this, great that it's going to be 24 episodes ヽ(´Д`ヽ)

(Oh and btw, if there's anyone else who's played Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor on the NDS.. Is it just me, or does this Orihara Izaya give off a similar feel as Naoya from the DS-game? ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 15, 2010 11:15 AM

Feb 2008
windy said:
I LOVE THIS SHOW

THIS.

Insanely good episode.
Jan 15, 2010 11:37 AM

Feb 2009
While not an actual advancement in the plot, this episode was pretty enjoyable and gives a tiny bit of background. Can't wait for next week's episode :D
Jan 15, 2010 11:48 AM

Feb 2008
Oosran said:
(Oh and btw, if there's anyone else who's played Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor on the NDS.. Is it just me, or does this Orihara Izaya give off a similar feel as Naoya from the DS-game? ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶)

Yes! I definitely thought that too. They're both awesome, manipulative bastards =D

Anyway, great episode of course. I felt bad for the girl, but then again it's just so fun to watch Izaya troll people. Dying to see the next ep, especially because I can't wait to finally see Izaya's phone-stomping scene from the trailer, ahahaha.

カレン ♥ 愛してるx無限!!! あああああいしてるうううううう!!! (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Jan 15, 2010 12:00 PM

Jul 2008
so the guy set it all up? so who exactly is the guy on the bike?
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jan 15, 2010 12:00 PM

Apr 2008
GarLogan78 said:
Great episode. It really is like Baccano! in the respect that there are a lot of characters, with their own stories, but they all tie in to a bigger story. I like it...
Agreed, which means I'll end up being confused by lots of things that fit wonderfully into place by the final episode! :D

Looking forward to more Izaya.. wonder if the folders in his mailbox have any sigfinicance... Hiroshi Kamiya really has such a soothing voice, Miyuki Sawashiro was great as narrator too. :)
Jan 15, 2010 12:06 PM

Nov 2008
Woot woot. This sure was a nice watch to start the weekend with. I liked how they dedicated time to explain the scenes we only saw in a flash last week. Nicely done. Dang, that is some sexy saxophone score. Someone hit me up with the OST, please, once it's released, of course.

And I feel evil laughs coming up.. mnahahaa. Izaya sure is some guy. Twisted, but I like it. I wonder what the true identity of the biker is. She sure isn't human, but no shinigami either. And it doesn't matter what the rest of the crew thinks about the ED, I think it's freakin' addicting. Makes you wanna dance. Mwah.

EDIT: Next person to mention Baccano!, deserves a smack.
desolatoJan 15, 2010 12:14 PM
Jan 15, 2010 12:39 PM
Oct 2009
I really liked this episode, a fair bit more than episode 1. Yeah, the plot didn't move forward much, but this show's got 22 more episodes to do that. It'll be fine.

I kind of think I just liked the first episode because I really wanted to like it.. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it really wasn't that great.. This episode had that certain je ne sais quoi that was missing from the premier.

Also, Baccano.
Jan 15, 2010 1:06 PM

May 2007
I thought they were just throwing around with random scenes in the first episode.
But now it all starts to come together !

Awesome style.

Jan 15, 2010 1:29 PM

Mar 2008
Great episode. Easily this season's number 1 show for now.

Only negative thing to say would be: Too much recap storytelling after only 1 episode. Though I suppose this can be tolerated.

This time around I really have nothing else to add.
Jan 15, 2010 1:33 PM

Nov 2007
Delicious episode. No complaints here.
Jan 15, 2010 3:11 PM

Nov 2006
kage-bunshin said:
so who exactly is the guy on the bike?
a woman
Jan 15, 2010 3:17 PM

Aug 2009
-Very different episode tone compared to the first one. You can already see the Baccano storytelling influences setting in as we basically watch episode 1 again however from a completely different standpoint. I really like it when writers do stuff like this (as long as they don't go overboard with it) because I always enjoy watching a bunch of unconnected stories eventually come together. For example, we found out how a vending machine ended up a hundred feet in the air last episode.

-Orihara Izaya=Rail Tracer for this series, except where he reveled in physical confrontation, it seems that Izaya prefers the mindscrewy/philosophical aspect of messing with his targets. I had it pegged that he was screwing with Rio just because he can though.

-Kamen Rider Neko Certy showing some more personality here. I like how she whips her cell out of her sleeve.

-Kida remains my favorite character.
Jan 15, 2010 3:36 PM
Jun 2008
Orihara write a "fourth" thing on the ground.So this current event is Fourth time?I wonder the story are going to backtrack the previous event .......and again Ryuugamine is still not active in duty.
Jan 15, 2010 4:32 PM

Jul 2009
kage-bunshin said:

It's....

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jan 15, 2010 4:34 PM

Jan 2009
BitchMaster said:
kage-bunshin said:

It's....

I'm amazed that I actually took the time to open up all those spoiler tags.. xD
Oh well, very funny haha
wat
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 15, 2010 4:49 PM

Dec 2009
This anime so far is MUCH better then Ookami kakushi (Which is turning out to be a huge disappointment for me btw).

Loved the episode. Didn't expect that bike rider to be an anti-hero however.
Jan 15, 2010 4:52 PM

May 2008
Great episode, still many questions to ask i hope this will will be as successful as Baccano

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jan 15, 2010 4:56 PM

May 2009
This episode was amazingly good. Damn.
Jan 15, 2010 5:01 PM

Dec 2007
.. This is actually really good. And the opening. THE OPENING.
Jan 15, 2010 5:14 PM

Aug 2009
Oh hell. Izaya made an epic entrance. Hiroshi's voice is priceless.. xD Damn twisted man. MORE IZAYA PLEASE.

That rider is not actually a bad guy, as I expected. I'm looking forward to the new episode.
Jan 15, 2010 5:54 PM

Oct 2009
It would have been better if they'd let the girl die, the "oh life is good you should live!" crap was lame. Still this anime has style and potential.
Jan 15, 2010 5:59 PM

Aug 2009
JuicyBuddha said:
It would have been better if they'd let the girl die, the "oh life is good you should live!" crap was lame. Still this anime has style and potential.

No, if that girl was killed, the whole episode should've been ruined horribly. There is a mood that Drrr need to keep, yet in order to build up until the climax.
Jan 15, 2010 6:23 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Interesting episode. I wanna continue this anime now.

Jan 15, 2010 6:28 PM

Aug 2009
Izaya <3

I want more. This episode is great. Now we know more info.. Rider seems to have a good side. I thought we'll be able to have Anri's introduction here but we just knew her name. Rio's story was good, I understood her, somewhat.

I WANT MORE!
Jan 15, 2010 6:31 PM

May 2009
JuicyBuddha said:
It would have been better if they'd let the girl die, the "oh life is good you should live!" crap was lame.
I don't think so. Then pretty much all of the character development this episode would've been pointless. And we got to see some of the bike rider's cool powers wich added to the mystery.
Jan 15, 2010 6:41 PM

Sep 2008
Still too early to call this anime the best of anything, it's been like 2 episodes.
It's got some originality, but the plot can still turn retarted later along or can be really awesome.

For now this is just above par, The narration of someone omnipotent and different POVs makes this basically Desperate Housewives.
Jan 15, 2010 7:04 PM
Jul 2009
I'm really liking the characters, especially Izaya. ^_^

I can see this anime won't disappoint. ^_^
Jan 15, 2010 7:10 PM
Mar 2009
This episode blew me away... I thought the first was pretty good but this was just perfect, narration and everything

Definitely the best anime this season so far
Jan 15, 2010 7:11 PM

Jan 2008
Goo4 said:
Oh hell. Izaya made an epic entrance. Hiroshi's voice is priceless.. xD Damn twisted man. MORE IZAYA PLEASE.

AGREED! MOAR IZAYA and I love Hiroshi's voice too

JuicyBuddha said:
It would have been better if they'd let the girl die, the "oh life is good you should live!" crap was lame.

That wasn't lame, there wasn't any mention of an 'oh life is good you should live' as an explanation for the girl to live. It was implied that since oh life is crap, live because it's not a big deal as it should be. Everyone has faults and secrets because that's being human. It also hints at what other secrets the characters have. It's good that the girl lived because as stAtic91 mentioned we got to see the dullahan's powers and her view on life maybe implying that even though her head is gone she isn't some vengeful spirit and likes to save people rather than be the grim reaper rumor that's been spreading around.

So far so good, I hope it's as good as Baccano or better
Jan 15, 2010 7:13 PM

Oct 2009
Goo4 said:
JuicyBuddha said:

No, if that girl was killed, the whole episode should've been ruined horribly. There is a mood that Drrr need to keep, yet in order to build up until the climax.

What is there a manga you've already read? So what's this about, some kind of supernatural beings play games with humans to teach them how life is meaningful and shit? The first episode suggested a darker tone (little girl gets kidnapped and is about to be murdered, then homunculus kills kidnappers and shit).

stAtic91 said:
JuicyBuddha said:
I don't think so. Then pretty much all of the character development this episode would've been pointless. And we got to see some of the bike rider's cool powers wich added to the mystery.

I strongly disagree, the character development actually would have made her death meaningful, as it would have shown that deceitful, emo idiots get what's coming to them instead of "life's not as cruel as it seems" or some shit. I was hoping for something darker, that's all. The show still looks better than everything else lined up for this season and I'll definitely keep watching.
Jan 15, 2010 7:27 PM

Oct 2009
Can't wait for the next ep goddammit.
Jan 15, 2010 7:35 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I was so entertained the entire time!

I love the art style and animation.

Best anime to look forward to every week this season.
p r o f i l e 👀
Jan 15, 2010 7:42 PM

Aug 2009
JuicyBuddha said:
Goo4 said:
JuicyBuddha said:

What is there a manga you've already read? So what's this about, some kind of supernatural beings play games with humans to teach them how life is meaningful and shit? The first episode suggested a darker tone (little girl gets kidnapped and is about to be murdered, then homunculus kills kidnappers and shit).

I haven't read the manga or novel... >_>

It's just my opinion, that Durarara is not as dark as you think. I'm sure that Durarara will focus more on entertainment than 'totally evil' themes whatever. The real important point in here is, there was involvement of 'headless rider' when that girl was saved and it was that 'rider' who said that world.

Baccano also had this kind of similar theme. Some kind of 'lol enjoy your life as much you can'. Even though it had evils and murders, it never went 'overboard'.

It would be really awkward if that girl died. It removes the opportunity for rider to tell viewers about what she truely is.

Edited: Am I the only one who thinks the narrator of this episode is that headless rider?
ringoo4Jan 15, 2010 7:55 PM
Jan 15, 2010 7:42 PM

Oct 2007
I really enjoyed this episode! Izaya is quickly becoming one of my new favorite characters...along with Masaomi Kida of course :3

The Black Motorcycle Rider is awesome! :D
Jan 15, 2010 7:56 PM

Feb 2009
That last scene when she caught her in midair reminds me of spiderman. I still think that episode was kinda meh anyway but still think there will be some awesomeness coming soon.
Jan 15, 2010 7:57 PM

May 2009
Episode 1 was fun, but this one was much more. Izaya is a dangerous guy indeed. To mess around with someone's mind and life for seemingly personal amusement is dark and twisted. Ikebukuro seems like the perfect setting as his playground. And in many respects, the headless biker is the complete opposite. This show's got so much style and such a great soundtrack and energy to it that it would be easy to overlook everything else. Thankfully, there's much more. It's nice when my biggest complaint is the wait until the next episode.
Jan 15, 2010 7:59 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode..love it
Jan 15, 2010 8:06 PM

Oct 2009
I'm confident that this show will end up on my faves. It's so interesting!
wizkid2029 said:
The story stands great so far. I have this sense that I know what's going on but then again I don't. The plot keeps me on my feet, guessing, predicting, surprising me (I did not expect that she would actually jump in the end. Thank god for the Black Rider).

I hope Shizuo comes in more soon. I wanna know more about him!
Jan 15, 2010 8:10 PM

May 2009
The thing I was probably most impressed with is how the biker was able to text so quickly (and error-free) on a touch screen phone wearing gloves. As chilly as it's been in recent weeks, I'd kill for that ability.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Feb 18, 2010

299 by Kurkitos »»
Feb 5, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kirika- - May 27, 2010

205 by dr_hydrangea »»
Jan 31, 4:32 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usami-Haru - Mar 18, 2010

455 by ryzxgum »»
Jan 19, 11:09 PM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Mar 31, 2010

336 by 2life »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:27 AM

Poll: » Durarara!! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

katzenjammer - Jan 28, 2010

276 by 2life »»
Nov 26, 2023 5:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.