Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2016 2:49 PM

Oct 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I knew it was coming, but wow, what an episode..

Iwane and Tomioka together means top-notch animation and a fantastic story and it didn't disappoint.

We've known Ash would lose for over a month but damn, he's really taking it hard.

Next episode is going to be amazing!

W.A.I.F.U = Women. Are. Imaginary. For. Us.
May 19, 2016 7:39 PM

Mar 2011
That was intense. I liked to see Ash being so obsessed to win and his frustration to see a newbie like Shota overcome him. And he realized his mistake and because of that he's now depressed, daaaamn. I'm glad Ash is getting character development.
Also that preview for episode 28... man, no music, just Ash's voice saying the episode's title, omg.
May 19, 2016 9:52 PM
Mar 2015
I hope the next ep won't be sad ><
May 19, 2016 11:52 PM

Jul 2010
cant remember the last time pokemon got this intense
May 20, 2016 6:07 AM

Oct 2014
dorastars said:
I hope the next ep won't be sad ><

Oh boy, you're in for a surprise..

W.A.I.F.U = Women. Are. Imaginary. For. Us.
May 20, 2016 9:12 AM

Aug 2014
Man, this episode was pure gold, I loved it. That Avalugg that has Wilfruc is too strong. He literally sweeped Satoshi's entire team. But what i didn't like is that now we have to wait another week for the next episode wich looks like it will be even better.

it deserves a 5/5
May 21, 2016 6:56 PM

Jan 2016
I finally caught the latest Pokemon episode since the beginning of XY lol

Damn, Ash wasn't that bad since his battle against Paul in Lake Acuity o.o
THANKS SENPIEX
May 22, 2016 6:03 AM

May 2009
Wow, he seems completely broken from the inside....
May 26, 2016 8:14 PM

Dec 2009
I Knew Ash will lose in the gym battle because of the results from the battle against Shota. Seems he haven't gotten over his weakness which impacted his bond with Greninja. Good job, Hawlucha for beating one of Wilfruc's Pokemon.
pokegirlMay 26, 2016 8:47 PM
May 31, 2016 8:44 AM

Jul 2008
pba5555 said:
Man, this episode was pure gold, I loved it. That Avalugg that has Wilfruc is too strong. He literally sweeped Satoshi's entire team. But what i didn't like is that now we have to wait another week for the next episode wich looks like it will be even better.

it deserves a 5/5

Well to be fair here. The backing strategy of Snow body and Perma hail IS superb and combine that with Ash his choice of only Physical attackers on a defensive tank....
Yeah, of course he would get swept.
Pikachu would have better. He already got experience on ice fields.

Ash clearly was not in the right headspace to fight. Too much pressure from Shota being there and already having 8 badges, too much arrogance regarding his Gekkouga and to much drive to finish it with power.
Though as said before, Wulfric was not joking around either.
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Jun 16, 2016 7:39 PM

Sep 2009
Actually didn't expect him to lose. I know the episode has been out for a while and only got subbed now so I've left myself in the dark. Did catch me off guard and how he knew why he lost. Very nice episode.
Jun 17, 2016 1:36 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
That's what happens when you rely too much on offensive moves. If Ash would use defensive moves like Thunder Wave, Hypnosis or even use Sunny Day he could have at least stopped Avalugg from recovering Stamina and also lowered the power or Ice moves.

This loss really did a number on Ash. I do agree, he had so much pressure on him. Shota was there and then he had his ambition for more power.
Serena is also getting a bit of focus. She wants to help out Ash but doesn't know how to.

Jun 17, 2016 6:46 PM

Jul 2008
LovelyHikari said:
That's what happens when you rely too much on offensive moves. If Ash would use defensive moves like Thunder Wave, Hypnosis or even use Sunny Day he could have at least stopped Avalugg from recovering Stamina and also lowered the power or Ice moves.

This loss really did a number on Ash. I do agree, he had so much pressure on him. Shota was there and then he had his ambition for more power.
Serena is also getting a bit of focus. She wants to help out Ash but doesn't know how to.

Thunder wave would not stop Ice Body effect and it would make Gyro Ball even stronger by making it even slower. Hypnosis is a dull move to use in the anime. Seriously be honest here, would you find that entertaining - Sleeping pokemon ? Numelgon does have Sunny days brother - Rain dance - which he actually used vs Citron.

So Ash knows those moves are available but they either does not fit the synergy of the team or they cant be learned by his pokemon. Ash is a Glass Cannon trainer. He moves fast and hits hard but cant take too many direct hits (minus plot writing), set up moves are more for defensive types.

Oh and Avalugg is a physical wall yet Ash never countered that, that was the big mistake he made. Pikachu should have gotten the switch, Hawlucha, Fiarrow and Gekkouga are all physical based attackers.
PunkbeetleJun 17, 2016 6:50 PM
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Jun 19, 2016 6:13 AM

Apr 2015
hmm... 3rd episode without Team Rocket...
really miss them...
by the way, why the sub becomes slower right now??
Jun 19, 2016 7:08 AM

Mar 2014
Punkbeetle said:

Oh and Avalugg is a physical wall yet Ash never countered that, that was the big mistake he made. Pikachu should have gotten the switch, Hawlucha, Fiarrow and Gekkouga are all physical based attackers.

The anime doesn't differenciate between physical and special defense.
Jun 19, 2016 9:32 AM

Jul 2008
MajinAkuma said:
Punkbeetle said:

The anime doesn't differenciate between physical and special defense.

It does to a point. ...When plot isnt it its way. Yeah, I know that you cant 1 on 1 compare the games mechanics straight to the anime's inner working. I mean Pikachu's Static should work almost every battle - but the stats of the Pokemon are at least acknowledge. Now whether the writers decide to use such facts is up to what the episode needs to convey or set up.

This one though was clearly set upped to resynch Ash to his former view of battling perspective and to simmer his arrogance/overconfindence down a bit
So Avalugg only got to take Physical hits next to Water Shuriken - abusing its highest stat to make the battle semi-believable.
Jul 29, 2016 4:10 PM
Dec 2009
Great battle! It seemed a little dramatic that Ash ran away afterwards though, he should know that gym battles are lost sometimes... you just gotta keep trying :) I'm sure we'll see him polish his skills and go back for a win!
Aug 25, 2016 6:36 PM
Mar 2015
How did Ash lose to freaking Wulfrig?! I didn't have to much trouble with him in the games... (Yes I know that the Anime does stuff completely different from the games, BUT STILL!)
Oct 10, 2016 1:28 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, that was an amazing and intense battle!

I expected Ash to win after recovering for a while but he lost, that's so sad!

But it does happen and he had lost to Sawyer the other day who had also beat that gym leader so maybe that should've told him to train more.

I still can't believe Sawyer beat that guy and Ash! He must be really great now!

I kinda wished we had gotten to see Sawyer battle against that gym leader to see how he had won and what strategy he would've used, I think he was shocked Ash lost as he looked up to him so much, Ash inspired him and he left before Ash got another chance to battle him and said he was gonna train for the Kalos League.

I think maybe that and Greninja being so injured was what set Ash off and made him even more depressed about losing and the whole situation.

Sawyer believes in Ash and thinks he can win but maybe then he should've stuck around to cheer him on or help him train or even tell him how he beat the leader to help him out. Give him some tips what Pokemon he could use or attacks even though he shouldn't need advice from someone else.

Even Ash-Greninja (who now got named it by Bonnie in the dub) wasn't enough to win which really did surprise me.

I hope he trains more and goes back and ends up getting his 8th badge ... or if there are more than 8 gyms just decides to go get his last badge at an easier gym.

It was sad to see Ash run off in to the woods and be sit looking depressed on the log, and Serena was so worried for him. I know he said he wanted to be alone and wanted space but I am almost surprised she didn't run after him, that could've been such a perfect and cute couple moment or even if she did after and he broke down in to tears in her arms, that would've been a really great scene to see and heartbreaking. Seeing him on the log was heartbreaking though. He looked like he had lost all faith in himself and his abilities but he has the strength to win again and beat that leader if he trains hard and tries. He has after all lost before. Maybe he just thought since Sawyer beat him then he could do it with ease and that's what made it worse for him, which I think may have been it.
stephtastropheOct 10, 2016 1:34 PM
Nov 12, 2016 6:00 AM

Apr 2012
That was a great battle.... wow.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Nov 12, 2016 8:20 PM

Dec 2012
LMAO at Squishy looking at Eureka like "You trying to kill me, bitch?" when she rolled on it.

So it was Eureka who came up with "Satoshi Gekkouga".

Why Shota looking surprised at the door opening when he was there before.

I had to laugh at Satoshi forcing his belongings onto Serena. At least he said please. lol

LMAO at the Judge.

I love Urup using huge Boss type Pocket Monsters.

Luchabull forgetting to spin during Flying Press again.

Scumbag Fiarrow got that bird ass beat.

Pikachu not even surprised anyone that Satoshi isn't choosing him.

I knew Satoshi was going to lose due to XYZ not playing and also not finding a way to beat Avalanche.

*Shota exists the Pocket Monster center*

Satoshi: You're leaving?

Shota: Yeah. I'm not wasting any more of my time on your ass when I beat Urup in 1 try.

Damn. I loved Satoshi's mood after visiting Gekkouga and then not coming back after saying he'd be back in a minute only to find him in the woods by himself. Perfect.

lol at Eureka training with Urup.

No music during the preview? Shit is real. I love it!
RobNov 12, 2016 8:29 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 23, 2016 4:59 AM

Nov 2014
Those Avalugg is a monster capable to practically swept Ash's team by itself although the hail from Abomasnow is troublesome as well.. Now while i kinda feel bad to him given that he already lost to Sawyer in the previous episode, i though this one is a good chance to give more development for Ash (which most likely we'll get to see in the following episode).. Looking forward to see the next ones..

5/5
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

May 20, 2020 8:53 PM

Jul 2017
Damn good episode! Battle was intense with some real nice cinematography as usual. I didn't expect Ash to lose tho lmao

Depresso Espresso next episode. Should be fun lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 9 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 24, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 10:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 7 Discussion

Norjack2 - Dec 10, 2015

14 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 14, 8:30 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 5 Discussion

-Koga- - Nov 27, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 25, 9:07 AM

» Can I watch this as a standalone?

Nemersis - Jan 22

34 by Nemersis »»
Mar 7, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Pokemon XY&Z Episode 3 Discussion

StarryWindy - Nov 12, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 6, 6:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.