Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 17, 2016 1:37 AM

Jun 2014
Have any of you ever met up with people you met on MAL? if so, what was your experience?

I met up with a club I am in at a con in the netherlands. Everyone was nice and we had a lot of fun. 10/10 would do it again.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 17, 2016 1:46 AM

Mar 2008
I met up with someone before and I wish I could see her again but Ive not met up with anyone from MAL yet . Been trying to.
May 17, 2016 2:06 AM

May 2016
I haven't met anyone yet from MAL proly coz im living in an island called Cyprus and anime fans aren't a lot here to be found..
May 17, 2016 2:29 AM

Oct 2015
I met a friend I met on another forum, few years ago. I was at his city to attend a convention about animes and mangas, and we met there. I was pretty intimidated, particularly that he would tease me about my height, as he's pretty tall Lol
About a year ago, I tried to meet two other friends from this same other forum, when I went abroad in their respective countries. They both refused : One for shit reason (Giving excuses as he didn't want to), and the other one wanted to meet but couldn't because of his work in the army (I could only go there when he was busy =/ )
May 17, 2016 2:47 AM

Jun 2014
Nyarlathothep said:

About a year ago, I tried to meet two other friends from this same other forum, when I went abroad in their respective countries. They both refused : One for shit reason (Giving excuses as he didn't want to), and the other one wanted to meet but couldn't because of his work in the army (I could only go there when he was busy =/ )

Wow, that sucks big time.

I hope that doesn't happen again, people can be dicks...
May 17, 2016 2:52 AM

Oct 2015
jeremyleijssen said:
Nyarlathothep said:

Worst is that it was at the other side of the world. It's not like I have many other occasions to go to their countries like this ... I was particularly botherred with the one who refused giving shitty excuses, I understood the other one's reason (Also, he seems to want to come to my country, so ^^)
May 17, 2016 2:57 AM

Jun 2014
Nyarlathothep said:
jeremyleijssen said:

Worst is that it was at the other side of the world. It's not like I had many other occasions to go to their countries like this ... I was particularly botherred with the one who refused giving shitty excuses, I understood the other one's reason (Also, he seems to want to come to my country, so ^^)

Well I hope you still had a nice vacation when you were at the other side of the world and i hope when he comes to your country he'll make up for it!
May 17, 2016 3:10 AM

Dec 2015
Not from MAL, but i've met several people from a MMORPG i used to play.
These meetings were always an amazing time, i made great friends (that i now see on a regular basis) and a girlfriend. When i went to Canada on holiday, i met another player and she showed me the surroundings of Montreal, it was quite nice.

It's always fun to see how people from completely different location/age/background, who would never have met otherwise, all get along and share a common interest
May 17, 2016 3:10 AM

Oct 2015
jeremyleijssen said:
Nyarlathothep said:

Worst is that it was at the other side of the world. It's not like I had many other occasions to go to their countries like this ... I was particularly botherred with the one who refused giving shitty excuses, I understood the other one's reason (Also, he seems to want to come to my country, so ^^)

Well I hope you still had a nice vacation when you were at the other side of the world and i hope when he comes to your country he'll make up for it!

Yeah, it was cool but too short Haha I actually want to go back there and punch this guy in the face not only for that but I don't know if I'll have the occasion to. Thanks :D It's still not sure he will come, he first planned to go to Japan with a friend but the friend can't so he was like "I don't know how to travel, but you know how to do it ! Teach me, senpai xD I would like to do it with you so maybe I should come to your country, Paris seems nice" :D
May 17, 2016 3:13 AM

Jul 2015
traed said:
I met up with someone before and I wish I could see her again but Ive not met up with anyone from MAL yet . Been trying to.

Hey kitty :c. If you plan to come to France one day send me a PM :p.

OT: no but I'd like to I guess. There are many nice users including a bunch of nice one living near me, I dunno why I'm not in my car yet.

edit: dat typo
DeathkoMay 17, 2016 5:21 AM
May 17, 2016 3:18 AM

Jun 2014
Nyarlathothep said:
jeremyleijssen said:

Yeah, it was cool but too short Haha I actually want to go back there and punch this guy in the face not only for that but I don't know if I'll have the occasion to. Thanks :D It's still not sure he will come, he first planned to go to Japan with a friend but the friend can't so he was like "I don't know how to travel, but you know how to do it ! Teach me, senpai xD I would like to do it with you so maybe I should come to your country, Paris seems nice" :D

France is awesome, but I would prefer Japan (I've been to france a lot :p).
Maybe you could travel with him to Japan? All anime fans want to go there
May 17, 2016 3:35 AM

Jun 2011
I've met up with many people I met online, but the only person from MAL that I've met irl is my boyfriend @Imaishi :)
May 17, 2016 3:44 AM

Jun 2014
Lyree said:
I've met up with many people I met online, but the only person from MAL that I've met irl is my boyfriend @Imaishi :)

Wait, you met your BF on MAL?
that is freaking awesome!
May 17, 2016 3:54 AM

Jul 2013
Met up with a fellow player from this MMORPG that I used to play. I bought in-game cash from him in exchange for real money. It was 5 years ago I think, I was 15 and I thought he might scam me or mug me or whatever so I brought a friend with me.
May 17, 2016 4:03 AM

Dec 2015
I've met 3 people who come to Japan and I showed around my city!
May 17, 2016 4:11 AM

Apr 2015
I've met a few shitlords who turned out to be ordinary blokes, good lads I tell you.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
May 17, 2016 4:16 AM

Oct 2015
jeremyleijssen said:
Nyarlathothep said:

I would like to go to Japan but I'm pretty short on money now, I travelled a lot those last months so I must economize Lol
May 17, 2016 4:24 AM

Jun 2014
Yumehara said:
I've met 3 people who come to Japan and I showed around my city!

Awesome! nice to see people helping each other around!
I am saving up for my trip to Japan as well :)

Nyarlathothep said:
jeremyleijssen said:

I would like to go to Japan but I'm pretty short on money now, I travelled a lot those last months so I must economize Lol

Same, Money is always the biggest factor unfortunately...
I'm going to spain this summer, but i actually wanted to go to japan, perhaps next year
May 17, 2016 4:25 AM

Jan 2016
Still new, still hasn't had that made conversations with people from my own country.

Though, I do want to have a meetup of some sorts in the future.
May 17, 2016 4:30 AM

Jun 2014
CapitalistGod said:
Still new, still hasn't had that made conversations with people from my own country.

Though, I do want to have a meetup of some sorts in the future.

Most people you find online you wont meet irl, sadly...
but I made some good friends through mal, you just need to know where to look ;)

I suggest joining a club about your country
May 17, 2016 4:42 AM

Oct 2012
Not for MAL, but last year i had met up with someone from another community. He just happened to be in the same town i was visiting and we ended up hanging out for the day. I'd normally be cautious around people i met online, but this guy is someone i've known online since ~2009, so i figured it would be ok. We're both pretty similar people in alot of ways.
May 17, 2016 5:24 AM

Jun 2014
FontSize72LOL said:
Not for MAL, but last year i had met up with someone from another community. He just happened to be in the same town i was visiting and we ended up hanging out for the day. I'd normally be cautious around people i met online, but this guy is someone i've known online since ~2009, so i figured it would be ok. We're both pretty similar people in alot of ways.

Sounds nice :)

I live in a very small town (2500 people) And even in the 'big' city close by (40.000) there just arent a lot of anime watchers :s
I wish i could meet people just in my town
May 17, 2016 6:15 AM

Sep 2015
Nope. That would be pretty nice. I mean, I would if I could
May 17, 2016 6:35 AM
Jul 2018
Never met up with anyone from MAL, but I've met up with someone I originally met online before. I had known the person for over a year, so I wasn't too worried. It was fun :3
May 17, 2016 6:42 AM

Aug 2014
I met my boyfriend through MAL more than a year ago and we skyped everyday since XD but we haven't physically met yet :o as we didn't have enough money for travelling as for right now. I also made friends here and we have skyped occasionally :D
May 17, 2016 6:43 AM

Jun 2008
I met someone i befriended online before, but that was on a different website then MAL.
Would love to meet people from MAL though, but i'm terrible at keeping up conversations so i don't talk a lot with people here on MAL.
May 17, 2016 7:56 AM

Sep 2014
jeremyleijssen said:
Lyree said:

Haha, yup! We met on MAL and now we're dating IRL.
We're thankful to Xinil, aren't we, @Lyree ?
lol
May 17, 2016 7:58 AM
Mar 2014
Imaishi said:
jeremyleijssen said:

Haha, yup! We met on MAL and now we're dating IRL.
We're thankful to Xinil, aren't we, @Lyree ?
lol

Heh that's cute much love to both of you :)
May 17, 2016 7:59 AM

Sep 2014
Yes, and he's the love of my life. ❤❤❤
May 17, 2016 8:09 AM

May 2015
I've never met up with anyone from MAL but honestly it has more to do with my unluckiness in choosing MAL friends. Most live a continent or so away. I have no doubt that they would like to meet up with me and if I go to Europe I'll drop by, but I really don't have the money to right now.
May 17, 2016 8:24 AM

Apr 2015
Ye, I've made some friends on MAL! I've been to a concert with a friend from MAL and I went to Utrecht (City in the Netherlands) with another friend from MAL to drink some beer x)
May 17, 2016 9:30 AM

Jul 2014
I've met online friends (one from my country in another city, and another one from a different country whose also my current boyfriend) in person but it was from a game, not on MAL. I've had great experiences with those so I don't mind doing the same with people I know on MAL given the opportunity (and the right people).

I'm always willing to meet in person.... as long as I'm sure the "awkward" phase is over and I can actually talk to them. lol so I guess seeing them on Skype or whatever a couple of times has to be a must first and foremost before meeting up in person. xD
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 17, 2016 11:57 AM

Jan 2016
Not on MAL, but outside of MAL, I've met one person whom I met online. Today, that same person is my BFF.
May 17, 2016 12:03 PM

Sep 2014
jeremyleijssen said:
Do you mind sharing how you met eachother etc? :)

On MAL, funnily enough. Just started with exchanging PMs, then we moved onto Skype.
May 17, 2016 12:32 PM

Jun 2015
I met my two BFFs online, as well as lots of other interesting and nice people. But I never met anyone from MAL.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
May 17, 2016 2:15 PM

Aug 2015
I never met some friend that i had on the internet, at least that i can think of, but i think it would be pretty awesome. You know, after the initial awkward phase it surely would be only LOLs
May 17, 2016 2:17 PM

Sep 2014
i havent met up with anyone from online nor do i plan to any time soon :<
May 17, 2016 3:38 PM

Apr 2009
oooh! i have, actually! i completely forgot about that wow.
i used to talk to a girl on here and we met. this was in my freshman year of high school. damn. wonder what she's doing now

(as for sites other than MAL, i've met up with people i met online a bunch of times. idk why people make such a big fuss about this stuff. i don't really see the point in only talking to someone online in most cases, so of course i'll go for meeting them when given a chance)
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
May 17, 2016 6:59 PM

Sep 2015
I did it once and I was nearly butt raped. Good times...
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

May 17, 2016 7:26 PM

Feb 2014
Never done it. I'm not too good at small talk, so I don't think it would work out too well, unless we had prior experiences to chat over Skype or something.

It takes me a few Skype sessions to get comfortable, though.
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
May 18, 2016 12:50 AM

Jun 2014
-Senpai- said:
I did it once and I was nearly butt raped. Good times...

Holy...

What the actual f*ck.
Did you file a police report?
May 18, 2016 1:45 AM
Jul 2018
i tried to meet my online best friend twice 2 years ago but i failed.I'll try to meet her again sooner or later tho
May 18, 2016 2:05 AM
Jul 2015
I had done some friends IRL thanks to meet them on online videogames, but I had never meet someone on MAL. Maybe I stayed only a little here but definitely I would like it.

May 18, 2016 4:56 AM

Jul 2015
No way. MAL users are neet who can't even get out and face the sun. Nice troll here OP :P
I HAVE TWO RULES:

RULE ONE: I'M ALWAYS RIGHT
RULE TWO: IF I'M WRONG, REFER TO RULE ONE...
May 18, 2016 5:52 AM

Mar 2016
I met up with a close friend of many years from an anime chat for a convention. It went really well since we were both very open and talked a lot on skype. There was no awkward start, just carried on like we usually did. Some things you can't learn online though, like he was terrible at choosing what to do, where to go, and what to eat. Left it all on me, but that's not a bad thing just something I never noticed online.

I am not the type interested in random meet ups with groups though, rather it be with someone I know i'll hit it off with.
May 18, 2016 4:23 PM

Jul 2015
I've never intentionally met someone who's from MAL, and I never will.
May 18, 2016 4:37 PM

May 2008
I've never meet anyone from MAL, but I have meet up with some friends I made on tumblr and livejournal. I've also tried online dating before, so there's that too.
May 18, 2016 5:51 PM

Sep 2012
I went to NYC and attended NY Comicon with a friend from an MMO called Dragon Nest. Had an absolute blast.
May 22, 2016 9:34 AM

Oct 2012
I "technically" have plans to meet the person in my current guild from a MMO but as they are all not in the same country it wold be hella complicated just to meet people and dunno what to do. So I'll probably skip it.
May 22, 2016 12:02 PM

Sep 2007
Most people I befriend online live hundreds of miles away. It's a blessing and a curse. (T∇T)

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» how dark is your personality? ( 1 2 )

GrimAtrament - Mar 27, 2018

75 by Amityblight »»
33 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - 6 hours ago

13 by DesuMaiden »»
55 minutes ago

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

22 by DesuMaiden »»
57 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you like to be a sugar baby?

Ejrodiew - Apr 10

18 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - 3 hours ago

6 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.