Forum Settings
Forums

Do you watch the anime or read the manga first?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 15, 2016 9:42 AM

May 2016
I watch the anime first and then if it ends and the manga is still continuing you I will jump on the manga train until I catch up. Usually works fine for me. Did it with Fairy Tail, Nanatsu No Taizai, and Magi.
May 15, 2016 10:43 AM

Oct 2015
I usually watch anime first, but sometimes adaptation and original source are completely at different levels. For example I've watched Tokyo Ghoul first and think it is an okay show, then I've been forced to read the manga and found out that it is way better than the anime. But the other way round also happens, such as Ao Haru ride, Naruto and etc.
May 15, 2016 11:44 PM

Aug 2009
I have read only a handful of mangas.I have only read manga before watching the anime based on that manga.That is only because I started reading the manga before the anime even came out.
May 16, 2016 6:36 AM

Mar 2016
I watch the anime first because most mangas are better than their anime adaptation so I don't want to not enjoy the adaptations if I already read the manga
Jul 9, 2017 1:55 PM
May 2017
It's hard actually because if you watch the anime first then read the manga you won't really feel up to it since it's like a replay of what you watched, if you read the manga before watching the anime you will hate the anime because there's most likely missing stuff. You'll just be like "THE MANGA IS BETTER!", yeah I can't really help...
Jul 9, 2017 2:06 PM

Mar 2014
I mostly read manga. However, there were quite a few times i saw an ep of an anime, liked it and started checking out the manga since its faster going through that. A couple times I've seen a trailer for an anime, thought it was interesting and decided to look for a manga counterpart. There are very few times I'd want to see an anime instead of read a manga these days
Jul 9, 2017 2:16 PM

Sep 2015
Well, I usually watch the anime first. Then I either start reading the manga from the beginning in case there are differences, or just continue where the anime left off.
If the anime covers the entirety of the manga I often don't read the manga anymore, unless there were significant changes made to the anime compared to the manga.
And of course whether I read the manga depends on how I actually enjoyed the anime.
Jul 9, 2017 2:39 PM

Mar 2016
These days I read the manga first. Because they're better more often than not. Don't often go to an anime afterwards though, but that's mostly 'cause I've only been reading manga lately.
Jul 9, 2017 4:25 PM

Jan 2014
Hmm I actually think that's the better way to do it.

If I read the manga, I won't watch the anime, this has happened so many times with many anime. for ex: one punch man. I know the animation's good, but no reason to watch the anime if I've already dropped the manga. Just gonna spend my time on something else.

Even when FMA: B aired I couldn't enjoy as much as I had been reading the manga (think it wasn't finished yet at the time but it was pretty far in the manga already). The fresh experience was not there while watching simply because I was familiar with it already.

So actually I think you're doing yourself a favor here. Hard to do imo I get impatient.
Jul 11, 2017 4:37 AM

Jun 2016
I tend to read manga for long shounens I'll never watch, but in some cases for unadapted manga (like JoJo) I'll always read the manga before it gets adapted
Jul 11, 2017 4:51 AM
Feb 2013
I usually read manga first, cause if that manga get adaptation then I just have to follow the story easily, without thinking so hard that make me tired.
Jul 19, 2017 4:15 AM
Jul 2015
I usually watch anime first, 'cause manga is usually better and reading it first would probably ruin anime for me.
Mar 21, 2018 8:26 PM

Feb 2018
For me, I personally prefer watching the anime before going to the source material (manga, LN, etc.)

The reason is that, Anime skips/rushes some of the dialogues and awesome scenes/writing that are in the source material....

So, when I am reading a particular chapter in the manga/LN, the corresponding anime scene flashes through my mind, which makes it more worthwhile...

I personally feel people should be going first for the anime, and then for it's source material; But, that's just me...
Mar 22, 2018 5:36 AM

Dec 2017
I dont read manga at all. I only watch anime.
so i guess i watch the anime first

i like avocados on toast 
Mar 22, 2018 12:54 PM

Apr 2017
depends on the anime adaptation.

if the anime adaptation is highly praised then I will check it out before reading the manga.

if not, I'll check out the manga.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Mar 22, 2018 12:57 PM

Nov 2016
I prefer to watch the anime first because if I like it then I can read the manga and finish the story. I feel like watching the anime after reading the manga is boring because you already know everything that happens. I would only probably watch the anime after reading the manga if I really enjoyed the manga.
Mar 22, 2018 8:48 PM

Jan 2018
Well, I usually watch the anime first. Then I either start reading the manga and just continue where the anime left off.
Mar 23, 2018 3:55 PM

Nov 2009
depends...sometimes I come across an anime first and vice versa...some times an anime comes first and then they make a manga
毎日, 日本語を勉強する
Mar 23, 2018 4:27 PM

Feb 2010
Why would you ever on purpose plan to watch/read both after one another?

The few times that anime adaptions of manga I already read were announced I was hyped, but also very skeptical because on average knowing the source makes the anime less enjoyable because you can't judge it on its own merit but are just gonna be focused on how accurate it is and whether or not it leaves stuff out or adds stuff. If I had the choice, I would never know the source when I watch the anime and always watch the anime first since if the quality is equal it's usually gonna be the more impactful version given the presence of music, emotional acting and colors.

I'm not saying it has to be a bad experience, I certainly enjoyed some adaptions of manga I liked, but the risk of taking issues with something is much higher if you constantly compare it to the source. I've seen it a million times in episode discussion threads, and experienced it myself a few times both in and outside of anime (Gantz, The Walking Dead, Kenshin, Akira etc...). So better safe than sorry, since I always want to be able to enjoy an anime as much as possible.

The other way round is fine I guess, as a sort of alternative to a rewatch. I did that for Record of Lodoss War and I'm gonna do it for One Piece too eventually. But I don't rewatch/re-read all that much in general because I prefer new stuff overall, so that's a rare case. A bit less rare is just picking up the manga where the anime left off if it's an incomplete adaption. Although that's more a necessity if you want to know how the story goes on, rather than a conscious decision of watching one before the other.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 23, 2018 4:33 PM

Mar 2016
I prefer to read the manga first before trying its anime, unless I know the manga after watching the anime

Kuma said:
who seriously starting read manga after anime already anounced?

lol. . . funny enough because I just started reading Wotaku after seeing there'll be an adaptation
Kurniawan_KtrMar 23, 2018 4:39 PM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Mar 23, 2018 7:02 PM

Mar 2015
Kurniawan_Ktr said:
I prefer to read the manga first before trying its anime, unless I know the manga after watching the anime

Kuma said:
who seriously starting read manga after anime already anounced?

lol. . . funny enough because I just started reading Wotaku after seeing there'll be an adaptation

but why? why someone even do that? why?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 23, 2018 7:03 PM

Feb 2018
I only read manga if the anime is not announced or the anime adaption was really bad.
Mar 23, 2018 7:31 PM

Jun 2017
watch anime first then read the manga afterwards
Mar 23, 2018 7:54 PM

Mar 2016
Kuma said:
Kurniawan_Ktr said:

but why? why someone even do that? why?

well, source materials are tend to be more detail than the adaptation. So most likely I'd enjoy reading its manga as first experience more than watching the anime as the first experience. Also, if I found the manga wasn't enjoyable or worth my time, I would just drop it with only sacrificing my time that I already used to read. if I watched the anime first and found that it was not worth it, I'd lose more (time, data, space, patience, etc).
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Feb 16, 2019 9:49 AM

Dec 2015
I won't read the manga if there's an anime for it unless it barely started like Imawa no Kuni no Alice. When I read the manga if the anime adaptation is announced I will watch it because I'll probably have forgotten a bit of it by then and it's different because it's colored. I can't watch the anime then read because I feel like I'm downgrading from a vibrant story to a black and white story which I have to turn pages for.
Feb 16, 2019 11:05 AM

Jan 2019
If I know an anime doesn't adapt everything or might skip some stuff, I usually check out the source material first to get a more complete experience, then move on to the adaptation.

pls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy

wen day is dark alway rember happy day
Feb 16, 2019 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
I prefer to watch the anime first. However, there were several times when I read the manga first before the anime. Only for a few volumes though since I'm not a huge fan of reading manga.
Feb 16, 2019 12:17 PM

Aug 2018
cherryblossom519 said:
I watch the anime first. Since the manga's usually better (according to most people), I feel like I won't fully enjoy the anime if I read the manga first.

I totally agree with you most of the times manga is better so I first watch anime :D

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Feb 16, 2019 12:20 PM

Sep 2017
I usually watch the anime and then read the manga at the chapter where the anime decided to stop. I did it with Magi, Akatsuki no Yona, and a few others. Yea I should start from the beginning because the manga might've started off different, but it doesn't really matter to me
Feb 16, 2019 2:10 PM

Feb 2019
I usually watch the anime first and then spend my money on buying the manga if I liked it to support the creator.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 16, 2019 2:12 PM
Sep 2014
Anime always. I've never read a manga for a series that I haven't seen the anime for. I generally dislike reading manga but if I like a series enough, I'll go ahead and read the source that has more material. This is extremely rare in my case. I only read 3 manga.
Feb 16, 2019 2:27 PM

May 2014
If it's a recent anime adaptation, I tend to watch whatever available episodes are already out then read the manga because I can't stand waiting for a whole week for another episode. It bothers me, especially if it's a really intriguing series. Other than that, I pretty much only start a manga of an already existing anime adaptation if I don't have much of a time. Reading doesn't occupy that much of a time.
Feb 16, 2019 3:13 PM
Feb 2019
I watched the anime dub first years ago. It shaped how I imagined the character's voices while reading the manga, and it also made me way more excited to read the manga.
Feb 16, 2019 5:44 PM

Oct 2008
Watch anime first, read manga second. Also I don't read the manga of an anime after finishing it. Usually I end up reading the manga of an anime yet to be addapted. It has occurred 5/6 times.
Aug 26, 2019 11:21 AM

Mar 2019
Personally I like reading the manga first and then watch the anime. But there are instances where I learn about a manga from the anime. Like I've watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood which is my favorite show of all time but I have yet to read the manga yet (tho I'm dying to!). But I don't think reading the manga after watching the anime so many times will ruin the experience.
What I do think is a bother is watching the anime at the same time as reading the manga. I tried it with an episode or two once and it's just so confusing and boring. For example, I've read Detective Conan which I love and I really want to watch the anime too. Even though the manga isn't finished yet it's not being published as often as it used to. So taking this opportunity I will get into other manga and anime and if I ever miss Detective Conan, or just mystery in general, I'll start watching the anime.
Aug 26, 2019 11:23 AM

Mar 2019
Katsura_chan said:
I watched the anime dub first years ago. It shaped how I imagined the character's voices while reading the manga, and it also made me way more excited to read the manga.

That's actually a really good point. Already knowing the characters' voices before reading the manga sure does make it more exciting to read.
Aug 26, 2019 11:31 AM

Sep 2014
I usually watch the anime and then I pick up the manga from the very start to make comparisons of both versions before I go to the unadapted stuff.
Aug 27, 2019 5:46 AM

Aug 2018
Always watch the anime counterpart of a manga I read unless it truly sucks so I prefer anime overall.
Mar 20, 2020 4:55 PM
Feb 2019
I'm force to read the manga because the anime fucking spoils the story in the opening and ending like one piece.
Nov 22, 2020 10:45 AM

Nov 2020
People watch the anime first? I always thought it was the other way around because the manga usually comes before the anime. Most of the time manga is created first, and sometimes it will be adapted into an anime. I read the manga first if it's available and then watch the anime after. That's just how I do it!
Nov 22, 2020 12:09 PM

May 2016
honestly, considering how i don't like to miss a single word when watching subs or how hard it is to understand what's going on in certain battle manga during a fight, I have to say I read anime and watch manga
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

205 by TheMinkalex »»
26 seconds ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

26 by BatoKusanagi »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

33 by Maou_heika »»
7 minutes ago

» What's the worst anime year? ( 1 2 3 )

Hira1 - Nov 26, 2020

112 by Serafos »»
13 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 7 hours ago

17 by juanlqr »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.