Forum Settings
Forums

Looking for action/adventure animes with a good/serious plot, a bit of romance, and optionally a dash of comedy.

New
May 13, 2016 12:48 PM

Feb 2016
Hey guys!

So, I've watched a lot of anime series lately, and I found myself struggling to find more good ones - Probably because my expectations are quite high (Weirdly, I like a lot of animes that are apparently considered as rather bad, so I guess it's less of me having high expecations, and more of me having a lot of expectations (Like, seriously. A lot). Did that make sense in english?).
I'd be super grateful if any of you could suggest me something even though I'm pretty picky, I guess xD!

As the title says, the genre should primarly be action or/and adventure, and it'd be awesome if it could also contain a bit of romance (I prefer the happy kind. And I don't like harem at all). Comedy can also be contained, but there shouldn't be too much of it. I don't have anything against Slice of Life animes, either - But then they need to be really good to keep a guy who's mainly interested in action like me hooked. Also, I don't think that I mind "sad" animes as long as they more or less have a happy ending. But those last two things are just really small factors, and don't have to be considered at all.
About ecchi stuff: I honestly really don't like it. At least the super-cringy and stupid moments like "oops I accidentally grabbed your boobs omg I'm so sorry but I'm still stuck here for 999hours". Romantic-relation related ecchi moments are OK I guess.

It would also be nice if the plot isn't just some superficial 0815 thing, but actually goes a bit "deeper" than that (Like, it'd be nice if the anime had some good backstory. Not *only* mindless action. No idea if you guys understand what I mean <.<). Don't get me wrong, though: I don't have anything against some "clichées" or even overused concepts like "MC lands in another world.", "Apocalyptic world with monsters and a few humans", or whatever, any "age" (Middle-age or whatever) and "world" is fine, really, as long as the story is good. (I have to say that I don't really like Mecha/Space-type animes. I don't know why, but those just don't hook me that much.)

Also, I guess I have to say that I'm really picky about art-styles (Which is a shame, since I'm apparently missing out on a lot of good animes because of that.)
Art-styles I don't like are those "flat" and "old" looking ones (No offense to anyone who likes them or doesn't like my description of them xD! I don't mean any offense, seriously.), like the one from "One Piece", "Death Note", "Great Teacher Onizuka", "Hunter x Hunter", and some more. I don't know why some kind of art-styles annoy me, but I've often dropped an anime in the first 10 seconds just because of that. Sorry x

Anyway, since I really suck at explaining (Sorry guys :( ) I'll just post a list of anime that I really enjoyed watching :D (And one of the anime I didn't enjoy)! The list will be sorted by how much I like them, starting with those I liked the most (Although that list won't be extremely accurate, as it is really hard for me to compare some animes. Generelly though, it can be said that I liked the anime at the top of the list more than one in the middle :P But I like all of the ones on the list.). Maybe that list can actually be helpful to someone who also has similar criterias to mine, lol.

Edit: That list can be ignored, I think that I've updated my MAL list completely now.

• FMA:B - Really loved this one.
  • Black Bullet - Loved the "balance" between "serious" and "sweet" moments.
  • Noragami (Season 1 + 2) - Good example of action + comedy.
  • Ao no Exorcist
  • Sword Art Online (Season 1)
  • Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
  • Big Order
  • Parasyte
  • Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalités
  • Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
  • Assassination Classroom (S1 + S2)
  • Btooom!
  • Kiznaiver
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-
  • Sousei no Onmyouji
  • Akame ga Kill! - Really good concept, really shitty end.
  • Seven Deadly Sins
  • Seraph of the End
  • No Game No Life
  • The Devil is a Part-Timer!
  • Chaos;Head
  • GATE S1+S2
  • Death Parade
  • God Eater
  • Attack on Titan

• One Punch Man
  • Rokka no Yuusha
  • Danganronpa
  • ERASED - Not really action, but still liked it.
  • Hundred - A little too ecchi, honestly. I don't mind the outfits: But these "boob-grab" moments really annoy me.

Now the list of those I didn't really like, or dropped.

• Kill la Kill (Dunno, I just found it a little boring and honestly a little too "ecchi".)
  • Great Teacher Onizuka (Dropped after the first episode. So. boring.)
  • Log Horizon (Dropped after the first 10seconds because I really didn't like how the main character looked. That's what I meant with me being picky <.<)
  • Psyscho Pass (Just didn't "click" with me.)
  • Guilty Crown (Maybe I'll continue watching this one of these days.)
  • Soul Eater (The first few minutes just didn't appeal to me that much)
  • Death Note (Kinda boring. I know this is a popular one, but I honestly didn't like it. It seemed like the kind of story that was a bit "obvious" from the start. So, yeah, it was a little boring to me. And I kinda disliked the art-style.)
  • A few more I didn't write down, unfortunately.

Sooo, yeaaah, I know that I really have a lot of expectations and stuff but I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me find another great anime to watch, because I somehow feel like I've really exhausted the animes in that kind of genre <.<... I hope the list helps somewhat xD!

Thank you so much,
-
Call-Me-CaptainJul 15, 2016 11:53 AM
May 13, 2016 1:18 PM

Feb 2013
how about katanagatari (its ab it dialogue driven, awesome adventure. has also romance but it is a bit of a tear jerker also... Has 1 of the best last episodes I have seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONevQyxRGM (opening)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzJNYSwn0xA ( a review)

how about hunter x hunter 2011 (you just wrote hunter x hunter so i expect you have tried to old 1, instead the 1 who madhouse did... and they did a a great 1, first 4 eps look rly childish btw)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZoXzNmD1ag (amv so you can imagine how it looks later)

if you want something really mature and dont mind, that the first 2 eps are an intro try
fate zero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9erufX1zeY (amv)... the art style is sick...)

magi the labyrinth of magic + magi the kingdom of magic (if you want something like noragami i think this 1 is good. also the world is rly cool=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9erufX1zeY (opening)

has also a spinoff airing now
Magi:Sinbad No Bouken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipbSQpI2IzM (opening)
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
May 13, 2016 1:28 PM

Apr 2016
try Binbougami ga!

and Gintama
it can be really funny at a time, and really serious at another time

May 13, 2016 2:09 PM

May 2012
"I've watched a lot of anime series lately" doesn't mesh with two completed series in your list.

I suggest Baccano! or NHK ni Youkoso!.
May 13, 2016 2:16 PM

Feb 2016
@Smooki Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at them!
@Zurajannai I've heard a lot about Gintama, but it always seemed a bit too... comedic to me? Kind of hard to explain what I mean. I guess I should just try to watch the first episode!
@SeijiSensei My myanimelist list isn't updated, like, at all. The animes I've watched are in the post above ^^ (I actually didn't even think about using the MAL List for this purpose. Guess I should have done that.)
I'll try those, thanks!
May 13, 2016 2:28 PM

Apr 2016
Kanayo-x-Nagisa said:

@Zurajannai I've heard a lot about Gintama, but it always seemed a bit too... comedic to me? Kind of hard to explain what I mean. I guess I should just try to watch the first episode!

lol
the first 2 episode is when the characters already know each other, so you'll get confused as I was about "who is this?", "what are they doing?", "why are they doing that?", etc.
episode 3 is when the "real" start of the story.

seriously, Gintama can make you cry like a lil' bitch when it's on "serious" arc, and make you laugh so hard when it's on "comedy" arc. But yeah, I got to say, it got more "comedy" arc than the "serious" arc.
I'd say it's about 60~70:30~40

May 15, 2016 2:27 AM

Feb 2016
Zurajannai said:
I'd say it's about 60~70:30~40

I guess I will have to try it out when I feel like watching something with a bit more comedy in it, then :D!

SeijiSensei said:
"I've watched a lot of anime series lately" doesn't mesh with two completed series in your list.

I suggest Baccano! or NHK ni Youkoso!.

Ok, as I said in my last post, my MAL List wasn't updated - Now it *should* be, though. I hope that I didn't forget any animes.

I've also just binge-watched The Devil is a Part-Timer - I really liked it, but it wasn't really what I am looking for, since it did contain a lot of comedy (It was still really good, though. A little like Noragami.)
Call-Me-CaptainMay 16, 2016 3:53 AM
May 21, 2016 9:04 AM

Feb 2016
I just binge-watched Ao no Exorcist, and found it to be really great (At least the first half): It's a little bit like FMA:B in some ways. Some slightly "tragic" "backstory" and some slight "conspiracy" going on, powerful characters but powerful enemies as well, etcetera... FMA:B was better in every aspect though. Man, I'd love to find another such anime :D

I've started watching "NHK ni Youkoso!", but after two or three episodes I thought that it was a little too boring and had a little too many "cringe"-moments

I don't really feel like watching Baccano! or Fate/Zero (It says that it's basically anime hungergames, and I don't feel like seeing all the characters die right now), but I'll DEFINITELY check them out in a few weeks.

I know that probably no one could care less about all of this, but I'd really love some more suggestions :D!!
May 21, 2016 9:10 AM

Sep 2014
Inuyasha+Inuyasha the Final Act

The Legend of Condor Hero(there Isn't a lot of action in this, but the action there is, is top notch)

and

The Legend of Qin/Qin's Moon
Jul 15, 2016 11:52 AM

Feb 2016
@Zoltor Thank you, I'll take a look at these!

More suggestions are also welcome :)

PS: The list in my first post can be ignored, I think that I managed to update my MAL list completely.
Jul 15, 2016 4:14 PM
Mar 2015
zero no tsukaima is one of my favorites, the only problem that I found is the ecchi
Aug 25, 2016 11:40 AM

Feb 2016
srmonda said:
zero no tsukaima is one of my favorites, the only problem that I found is the ecchi

So, I just binge-watched the first season, and you were right with both of your points - It was quite nice, but also quite a lot of ecchi <.< Weirdly, it didn't annoy me as much as in other shows though. Probably because it was more of a comedy than a "serious adventure/action anime", but still.

More suggetions are welcome :D!
Aug 26, 2016 4:53 AM

May 2012
Seirei no Moribito
Monster
Hyouge Mono
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Sarai-ya Goyou ("House of Five Leaves")
Oh! Edo Rocket (lot of comedy but underneath a serious satire on political and artistic repression)

All of these are set in historical periods, though Monster takes place right after the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Aug 27, 2016 12:14 AM
Oct 2015
I'd say try out Akatsuki no Yona. It has all the things you're looking for. It definitely has action and adventure, I love the plot, there is romance, and comedy as well.
Aug 27, 2016 3:22 AM
Jul 2018
I couldn't be bothered to read your whole post so here's some that fit you in-depth plot criteria with a bit of romance and comedy:

Zetsuen no Tempest
11eyes - Starts slowly but pays off. (If you don't mind bullshat endings don't watch this)
Shinsekai Yori - This anime requires a lot of concentration. If you're not in a good mood or not motivated you'll drop this anime easily as the main plot is only unraveled 10 episodes in.
Another - Very dark plot, takes some time to get into the real mystrery.

These are just some of many. Also consider watching Code Geass - doesn't fit your 'comedy' part but the plot is beyond normal anime level and the romance isn't ant ordinary romance

EDIT: Try ReBorn. You can binge watch it and there's plenty of action, comedy and romance. Just started episode 3 and it's hilarious.
removed-userAug 27, 2016 3:28 AM

More topics from this board

» Help finding a Manga

mikemike25251 - 34 minutes ago

0 by mikemike25251 »»
34 minutes ago

» Series with cute clothing and art style?

StrawberryBlxxd - Apr 16

12 by boguda »»
4 hours ago

» Best mystery/detective series I haven't seen yet?

Curlybrace101 - Apr 4

10 by boguda »»
4 hours ago

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

10 by boguda »»
4 hours ago

» if anyone is into some messed up manhwas read I Tamed My Ex-Husband's Mad Dog

Rijouku - Apr 1

2 by Rijouku »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.