Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is Misaki the worst captain ever?
May 11, 2016 12:55 PM
Nov 2011
OK, despite I like Misaki I gotta say she hasn't employed her captain functions correctly and has terribly failed in lots of aspects, I'm still not sure if she's the worst, but let's check some points:

1. She's easily distracted, specially for her own overthinking in the situation.
2. She apparently doesn't know enough about maritime night combat tactics. (Ex. Wilhemina ordered to turn off the lights and avoid being seen as much as possible, something that Misaki didn't think about)
3. She left the Harezake to rescue Moka-chan while the Musashi was shooting leaving her own ship and her own crew alone in the middle of the attack.
4. She treats her crew members as friends too much, a part of her crew doesn't seem to respect her as a captain.
5. Her crewmembers wasted the toilet paper in other unnecesary uses and she did nothing to stop it.

Did I forget any point? Anyway, what do you think?
May 11, 2016 10:10 PM
Sep 2013
I'm only two episodes in and I thought exactly that. She has no leadership qualities unless you count that BS stereotypical MC that just somehow gets people on their side. As for leaving the ship while under attack, all I can say is, "what?" What if the ship sank? The captain leaving the ship is a criminal offense in some places.
May 12, 2016 5:04 AM
Feb 2012
TokyoPimps said:
I'm only two episodes in and I thought exactly that. She has no leadership qualities unless you count that BS stereotypical MC that just somehow gets people on their side. As for leaving the ship while under attack, all I can say is, "what?" What if the ship sank? The captain leaving the ship is a criminal offense in some places.
window.MAL.magia = "06410c4e6b2518e9add8f6df0ccb2da2876bb8c980aacb43a8dcaa8153c0f92c";
window.MAL.madoka = "hZrDKm9k6FVRnqd3i%=K";

the captain staying with the ship while is sinking is a myth

German Naval officers are known to abandon ship, and after being rescued, they will join another ship and take command again.
May 12, 2016 4:31 PM

Nov 2009
I think Mike is more flexible as captain position than Shiro. I think she did well at giving order during combat situation in ep.1-2. Even Shiro made "How did she manage to come up with that tactic ?" face at some of Mike commands/decision. And it works well.

Mau-Kun said:
OK, despite I like Misaki I gotta say she hasn't employed her captain functions correctly and has terribly failed in lots of aspects, I'm still not sure if she's the worst, but let's check some points:

1. She's easily distracted, specially for her own overthinking in the situation.

>> ok

2. She apparently doesn't know enough about maritime night combat tactics. (Ex. Wilhemina ordered to turn off the lights and avoid being seen as much as possible, something that Misaki didn't think about)

>> No one on the ship knows much about about maritime night combat tactics. Even Shiro.

3. She left the Harezake to rescue Moka-chan while the Musashi was shooting leaving her own ship and her own crew alone in the middle of the attack.

>> She told Hazrekaze to get out of Musashi's firing range before she left. (They were safe when she left) Harekaze only became target when Mashiro decided to follow Mike's jetski into Musashi's firing range.

4. She treats her crew members as friends too much, a part of her crew doesn't seem to respect her as a captain.

>> I think there is nothing wrong about this. Part of her crews also like her and don't have problem with it.

5. Her crewmembers wasted the toilet paper in other unnecesary uses and she did nothing to stop it.

>> How would she stop it? the toilet paper already been used when the problem came in the light.

Jun 8, 2016 2:14 PM

Nov 2013
No, not even close. She may be a bit airheaded and easily distracted sometimes, but in the end she's capable. For the worst captain you have to look elsewhere.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jun 9, 2016 4:59 AM

May 2009
She simply has chronic hero syndrom. Like Captain Kirk.
Jun 11, 2016 1:50 PM

Apr 2014
for a high school moeblob character she's pretty badass on her own right, shes no Miho from Girls und Panzer in terms of leader skills but I'll say she makes a very decent captain if not good.
Jun 12, 2016 12:56 AM

May 2014
I dont think she was a worst captain, as seen on how she take command when they battle Hiei her tactics work and when she go to the Admiral Spee and give the command to shiro , its the First time Harekaze got a lot of Damage
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2016 1:07 AM

Mar 2015
to make it simple, she has high INT, but low WIS.. she is not the worst, i found her even capable... just sometimes unreasonable...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 12, 2016 1:28 AM

Sep 2015
She does make a lot of mistakes that you mentioned so in a way she's not the perfect captain but is she the worst captain ever? I think what the show is trying to get at is not the perfect realistic captain but a captain that everyone looks up to and listens to. She's capable of ordering people around during battle and the rest of the crew obeys her every command. She's respected and loved by her crew.

Is she the worst captain ever? No, but she's not a good captain if you look just at her skills. As long as her crew listens to her and respects her, doesn't that make her a succesful captain?
Jun 12, 2016 1:59 AM

May 2010
She is pretty damn good for a 1st year highschooler. Sure, she makes mistakes sometimes, but she makes up for them. Would make a great one in the future. I wanna see her lead the blue mermaids one day.
Jun 18, 2016 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
Mau-Kun said:

Yeah you forgot the fact that she's a first year high school student, not even a graduate. Considering her achivements at that age, It'll baffle me if she didn't get an award for best young captain.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Jun 21, 2016 7:26 AM
Jun 2016
Ya. Tapi ane masih ngarep di eps terakhir ada drama. Si misaki bertingkah seperti kapten
Jun 21, 2016 11:29 AM

Sep 2013
Well go easy on her, its her maiden voyage as a captain while still on training, which has gone haywire. So what can you expect, she's not the worst definitely, but according to me leaving the ship at some critical time to play hero is somewhat 'un-professional'.
Jul 25, 2016 7:17 AM
Mar 2016
I get your points but I for some reason don't see her as bad captain. In my opinion she was excelent captain but it might be because e I'm very stupid and see her as a smart captain😂
Aug 10, 2016 9:43 PM

Dec 2010
Mau-Kun said:

Let's see.
1. I never really once thought she was overthinking. Considering opportunities & possible setbacks is actually a good trait for any commanding officer. She does however get easily distracted, which is probably attributed to her lack of experience.

2. From the course of the entire series, Akeno herself admitted she isn't Grade-A officer material (she crammed the maritime exams to reach this spot) vs. the booksmart Mashiro. Also being a complete noob in training & nobody in the crew other than the experienced foreign Executive officer (XO) pointed that out, the issues stems from the crew, not just Akeno.

3. We point that out where we learn Akeno has supposedly no family (due to the cruise ship incident) and this was before she really got settled with the crew of Harekaze, hence her fear of losing her only existing family, her childhood friend Moeka. Emotions were probably boiling at this point, so I can let it slide.

4. Respect is earned and Akeno's style isn't on ranks & formality (that's Mashiro's job). Interestingly from the historic memoirs of the Imperial Japanese Navy destroyer captain Tameichi Hara, he learned from experience that in a small ship like a DD crew tends to operate better with a more friends/family manner than through seniority & rank, which often breeds contempt & creates a chain of brutality from top down (even to the POWs, a farcry from the respect from the Japanese of WWI). Those who don't respect such style will always persist, but by the end most of the crew acknowledged Akeno as a fine captain.

5. This is where Akeno's job doesn't really cover. From what I can tell, the IJN operated a similar style to the US Navy, where the captain performs the major decisions & tactical operations of the ship but not internal affairs. Things like managing everyday life aboard is dealt with by the Vice-captain or Executive officer (XO), which in this case is Mashiro Munetani. Akeno can have input to solve the issue (which she held the meeting) but it isn't a responsibility of the captain.

Does Akeno fit the bill of being the greatest captain ever? Far from it; but that's the point of Haifuri isn't it? Through each sortie we see Akeno grow from a simple happy go lucky, charge head-first rookie into taking into consideration of the wishes of her crew & relying on teamwork to accomplish their goals.

P.S. The hands-on/front-line captain approach is also one particular trait that a certain other famous & respected captain by the name James T. Kirk also has. Not a bad thing for a higher ranking officer to have now.
Aug 27, 2016 9:58 AM
Sep 2015
Yeah, she is a horrible captain because she does nothing that a real captain of a vessel would do. If it's the responsibility of the skipper, Misaki does the exact opposite. Probably her worst offense is constantly leaving her post to do things that other members of the crew are supposed to do. A captain in real life would have been dismissed for less than a tenth of the offenses that Misaki has racked up.

On that note however, there is nothing even remotely real about this anime. It's fun to watch but as for any concepts of reality, there is none. Enjoy it for what it is, pure mindless entertainment.
RadamusAug 27, 2016 10:27 AM
Feb 22, 2017 3:34 AM

Nov 2009
>Is Misaki the worst captain ever?
There is only two things an anime captain has to have: ability to make crazily dangerous decisions, and luck to pull them off. Misaki has that.

If you're looking for the worst captain, look deeper. There is Irresponsible Captain Tyler (we're still confused if he is horribly stupid and horribly lucky, or he's a mastermind who is just pretending). There is Monkey D. Luffy, a pirate captain. There is that annoying abh nobleswoman in Seikai no Senki. There is that time when captain of Kidou Senkan Nadeshiko left a plush robot as a replacement.

More topics from this board

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2016

230 by VonNaturAustreVe »»
Feb 25, 7:17 PM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2016

149 by Vyse_Sohma »»
Oct 6, 2023 12:48 PM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2016

62 by wildhood »»
Aug 27, 2023 4:44 AM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2016

119 by Cyroro »»
Apr 14, 2023 3:38 AM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2016

57 by jasutin_hoshi »»
Sep 21, 2022 7:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.