Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 8, 2016 6:48 AM
Jun 2014
According to Akiba Souken, this is the most disappointing anime of this season.

Here's the link

Then, why it rated pretty high here when the opposite happened in Japan?

Edit: It's only 1000 votes anyway.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
Indunisya212May 18, 2016 8:35 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 8, 2016 7:02 AM

Jun 2015
Idk, 1k voters ia a pretty small sample. The demographic for this series are kids and as to why it is popular here it is because it has a lot of western influence.
May 8, 2016 7:06 AM

Mar 2016
Honestly, it's a 150 people over the lots of us here on MyAnimeList.
They're also calling Kiznaiver and Gyakuten Saiban disappointing, so really there's not much ground for them.
have never had a L anime opinion in my life
May 8, 2016 7:14 AM

May 2009
Top4 of titles have their objective faults:
1. BnHA - made too fast, slow pace for 1 cou. According to http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/05/06-1/bones-studio-panel-at-machi-asobi-vol-16-reveals-rapid-production-schedules production started before even first volume of manga was out in Japan. This is main reason why it's only 13 eps. They (TOHO) wanted to cash in as fast as it's possible with anime and merchandise (for example game on 3DS).
It would be much better if they waited a year more for more material and made first episode 1h long like Re:zero or Aquarion Evol.

2. Mayoiga - people expected Mizushima will make another slasher-murderfest like Another of Blood-C.

3. Bungo - Looks like fujobait but Atsushi gets love interest etc. Similar to Zetsuen. No suprise fujoshi were disappointed.

4. Ace Attorney - cheap as fuck, probably by same A1 team as Denpa Kyoushit.
May 8, 2016 7:54 AM
Feb 2016
Maybe the Western styled drawing and the Western styled theme just doesn't appeal to them?

This show lacks pretty girls and fanservice, too. Fan service is really important to the Japanese audience.
May 8, 2016 7:58 AM

Mar 2015
lavenderclam said:
Maybe the Western styled drawing and the Western styled theme just doesn't appeal to them?

This show lacks pretty girls and fanservice, too. Fan service is really important to the Japanese audience.
no no no... this series already succesful before anime... that's why it's hyped...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 8, 2016 8:03 AM

Aug 2014
lavenderclam said:

You say that, yet the manga is doing really well and is really popular over in JP, so that's likely not true.
As for the title itself, 1k votes says nothing (I assume that is the amount of people who voted), it's a really small sample since that is anything but a big part of the people who is likely watching the anime.
May 8, 2016 8:06 AM

Oct 2009
As what other people said above, that's a pretty small sample.

and LOL
I was expecting Mayoiga and Stray Dogs... and I'm right. hhahahahah Although I pretty ok with the 3 shows. ^^;

May 8, 2016 8:42 AM

Apr 2013
I feel like Terra Formars Revenge is the most disappointing this season.

Edit:
This poll is also from the site in which the user's rated Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm as a top Sports anime, beating Haikyuu.
https://akiba-souken.com/anime/vote/v_445/
KampaneMay 8, 2016 8:49 AM
May 8, 2016 8:46 AM

May 2009
Kampane said:

Most people hated already first season so why would they care about second?
May 8, 2016 8:49 AM

Oct 2013
The tv ratings are pretty shit over Japan for this series. Not surprising.
May 8, 2016 8:59 AM

Dec 2012
Who gives a shit. All these small voting crap like charcapedia are meaningless. They don't represent any trend, insight, accuracy, etc
May 8, 2016 9:02 AM
Jul 2012
I kinda agree with this mostly due to me hating they are making it 13 episodes.
May 8, 2016 9:19 AM

Sep 2013
bastek66 said:
production started before even first volume of manga was out in Japan. This is main reason why it's only 13 eps.

I used to shrug off the cashcow memes but apparently it's so true it's sad.
Hopefully season 2 will happen and learn from this. BONES is doing a good job otherwise, I'd hate to see this adaptation commit suicide early because of greed.
May 8, 2016 9:42 AM
May 2011
Is Big Order that low because no one expected it to be good?
May 8, 2016 9:55 AM

Jan 2015
Kampane said:

Edit:
This poll is also from the site in which the user's rated Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm as a top Sports anime, beating Haikyuu.

Lol...what a shitty site.
May 8, 2016 9:56 AM
Apr 2016
Pacing is so slow.
May 8, 2016 10:08 AM
May 2011
Kampane said:

Edit:

Well, that credibility just went to hell. I mean, aside from Hq!, Yowamushi, Slam Dunk and Ping Pong being that low is just plain bad.
May 8, 2016 10:23 AM

Sep 2013
Cause Bones is overrated as hell, the only good thing they did was fma brotherhood and that's only because it fit their dry non passionate work.
May 8, 2016 10:59 AM

Jun 2014
keragamming said:
Not to mention that disc sales are also tracking to be very low and its manga sales haven't been set on fire. I remember you created a thread about BnHA having to step up its game. It never did.
May 8, 2016 11:14 AM

Aug 2014
Agafin said:
keragamming said:
Not to mention that disc sales are also tracking to be very low and its manga sales haven't been set on fire. I remember you created a thread about BnHA having to step up its game. It never did.
Where did you see info about the disc sales?
May 8, 2016 11:36 AM

Jun 2014
Lol if these voters consider Four Rhythm to be a better sports anime than Haikyuu, then they have no credibility and their thoughts are irrelevant. Also, to answer the question of why it's rated high here compared to in Japan: just because they feel a certain way doesn't mean everyone on here feels that way too. I personally like it, and if you or anyone else likes it then this irrelevant voting stuff shouldn't matter or be taken to heart.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 8, 2016 11:37 AM

Mar 2014
Not sure why this is happening in Japan, it's a very faithful adaptation and isn't that what matters? Assuming there won't be fillers I don't see a problem with this show going into production so fast other than the waiting between seasons....

I think the pacing is fine considering the large cast
May 8, 2016 11:49 AM

May 2013
The anime is Ok but it happened to air in the same season of Kabaneri and JoJo, so it gets the shorter end of the stick and it's doesn't become as popular as it would have been otherwise.

The animation is below average and the pacing is the slowest they could get away with (2 chapters per episode). I'm not sure what they were thinking but maybe they thought that because it was doing really well on Jump, the quality of the anime wouldn't have mattered to the fans.

The things that it lacks the most is in the animation quality and in aesthetics. The character design could be enough to make the show appealing, but the style of the anime is way too simplistic and way below the quality of the other shonen in this season.

It will probably become more popular once the serius fights happen and the male and female fanservice kicks in.
May 8, 2016 12:02 PM

Dec 2012
thebrentinator24 said:
Also, to answer the question of why it's rated high here compared to in Japan

It's not higher rated here than Japan. That's just one site with a small sample size. It's still better received in Japan as literally most series.

Daw11 said:
The anime is Ok but it happened to air in the same season of Kabaneri and JoJo, so it gets the shorter end of the stick and it's doesn't become as popular as it would have been otherwise.

It will probably become more popular once the serius fights happen and the male and female fanservice kicks in.

Both of these shows don't overlap with BnH in anyway. Not in viewer base or buyer base. Both are late night anime while BnH is prime time/evening time

Ehh. Fanservice never makes a series more popular.
May 8, 2016 12:07 PM

Sep 2015
One thing to mention is that disappointment and expectation are directly linked to hype. Even if BnHA is considered to be good / decent by most, if there's lots of hype surrounding it, it's automatically considered disappointing. "It was good, but it wasn't THAT good" sorta thing.
BnHA is one of the more hyped series that I've been hearing about, so it makes sense that many would consider it disappointing - even if that's because of no fault of the anime itself.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 8, 2016 12:14 PM

Jun 2014
tsudecimo said:
thebrentinator24 said:
Also, to answer the question of why it's rated high here compared to in Japan

It's not higher rated here than Japan. That's just one site with a small sample size. It's still better received in Japan as literally most series.

Well the reason I said that was because the original post asked "why is it rated pretty high here when the opposite happened in Japan" so that's why I worded it the way I did even if it's not entirely accurate.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 8, 2016 12:25 PM

Nov 2013
Because it's not a generic high school harem show.
May 8, 2016 12:43 PM

Jul 2015
Cause Bones is overrated as hell, the only good thing they did was fma brotherhood and that's only because it fit their dry non passionate work.

Aw man, you didn't like Ouran, Space Dandy or Kekkai Sensen? I love those shows.

Anyways, the anime has lived up to my expectations. I think it's great so far, Bones is treating it really well.
NakurawariMay 8, 2016 12:49 PM
"Your guilt will be your past, and that will be your God."
May 8, 2016 12:52 PM

Jul 2013
Everything shounen so far and most shounen stuff still suck.
May 8, 2016 1:01 PM

May 2009
Snappynator said:
Agafin said:

He's talkin gabout "stalker-shit", site that measure preorder points and ranking on Japanese amazon and sales predictiosn. (Shitposters love it). All shows' first volumes will go on sale in June/July.
BonerBender said:

These don't sell either these days.
May 8, 2016 1:49 PM

Apr 2013
It's actually doing well in Japan (well, at least the manga is), but I do wonder why it isn't catching fire as many were expecting. The timeslot of the anime's good, the adaptation has been very faithful and the manga was ranking really well from the get go. This seems like the recipe for a huge success, but that isn't exactly happening.
I wonder if it would have been best waiting for Naruto to end, then give Boku no Hero that timeslot as a long running anime, which by the time Naruto ends will have at least 20/30 more chapters.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
May 8, 2016 1:56 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It can't be disappointing if you didn't expect it to be good to begin with
May 8, 2016 2:00 PM

Dec 2012
geralt said:

I wonder if it would have been best waiting for Naruto to end, then give Boku no Hero that timeslot as a long running anime, which by the time Naruto ends will have at least 20/30 more chapters.

That's not how it works. Don't think current Bones can afford a slot in TV Tokyo.
tsudecimoMay 8, 2016 2:05 PM
May 8, 2016 2:14 PM

Oct 2013
geralt said:
It's actually doing well in Japan (well, at least the manga is), but I do wonder why it isn't catching fire as many were expecting. The timeslot of the anime's good, the adaptation has been very faithful and the manga was ranking really well from the get go. This seems like the recipe for a huge success, but that isn't exactly happening.

Maybe people are tired of watching stuff they've watch a million times already? Or the long running big 3 series has made them burnout? I said it before, battle shounen anime aren't as "hot" as they use to be.

Boku no hero probably would have done better in the next 5 to 10 years. With a new young generation. The current generation that are/were following the big 3 are probably tired of those type of series. Trend come and goes.

Not saying the series is bad.

BonerBender said:

Those don't even sell well, get your facts straight.
keragammingMay 8, 2016 2:22 PM
May 8, 2016 3:31 PM

Apr 2013
tsudecimo said:
geralt said:

That's not how it works. Don't think current Bones can afford a slot in TV Tokyo.
Never said it had to be Bones. What I'm wondering about is if it would have been different had Pierrot or Toei got hold of it and it became the next long running anime. I think it would, but having a good timeslot doesn't automatically make you the most popular thing as proven by say Toriko.

keragamming said:
Maybe people are tired of watching stuff they've watch a million times already? Or the long running big 3 series has made them burnout? I said it before, battle shounen anime aren't as "hot" as they use to be.

Boku no hero probably would have done better in the next 5 to 10 years. With a new young generation. The current generation that are/were following the big 3 are probably tired of those type of series. Trend come and goes.
I guess that could be an explanation, but is there like any basis for thinking that way when just last year Nanatsu no taizai (which from the little I've seen of it seems as shounen as it gets) had a huge rise in popularity?
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
May 8, 2016 3:47 PM

Dec 2012
geralt said:

Never said it had to be Bones. What I'm wondering about is if it would have been different had Pierrot or Toei got hold of it and it became the next long running anime. I think it would, but having a good timeslot doesn't automatically make you the most popular thing as proven by say Toriko.

Oh that's what you meant. Yeah probably. But in an interview.

keragamming said:

I guess that could be an explanation, but is there like any basis for thinking that way when just last year Nanatsu no taizai (which from the little I've seen of it seems as shounen as it gets) had a huge rise in popularity?

Nah, it just made up reasons. He is making reasons that really only apply to western online community, not to mention it's based on his own opinion of the show's quality.. Battle manga are as popular as ever, there is no reason for their anime adaptation to suddenly become less popular. The same viewership base are the ones that buy Shounen Jump and other shounen magazine.

Yeah Seven Deadly Sins is an example (it actually really surprised me how much it exploded in popularity with the anime)

There is also World Trigger (had really good TV ratings, so much that it getting an original sequel IIRC)
May 8, 2016 3:54 PM

Dec 2012
Reason for BnH not having great TV ratings is probably just programming related. Went through anime that aired in Mainichi Broadcasting in recent years and none of them except for Nanatsu no Taizai had great TV ratings unless I'm mistaken.

Also there was some reason for premiere episode low ratings 1.9 because the next episodes ratings increased instead of deceasing.
May 8, 2016 4:35 PM
Jul 2015
tsudecimo said:
Reason for BnH not having great TV ratings is probably just programming related. Went through anime that aired in Mainichi Broadcasting in recent years and none of them except for Nanatsu no Taizai had great TV ratings unless I'm mistaken.

Also there was some reason for premiere episode low ratings 1.9 because the next episodes ratings increased instead of deceasing.

uh no Nichijo Slot is prime slot and is known for having good rating

The first episode rating for the shows that shared the same slot are

Magi - 3.8
2199 - 5.7
Magi 2 - 3
Haikyuu - 3.1
NanaTai - 4.9
Arslan - 4.5
IBO - 2.7
HeroAca - 1.9

Star driver still holds the lowest rated first episode 1.2
Dab1za9May 8, 2016 4:41 PM
May 8, 2016 4:39 PM

Dec 2012
Dab1za9 said:
tsudecimo said:

Magi - 3.8
2199 - 5.7
Magi 2 - 3
Haikyuu - 3.1
NanaTai - 4.9
Arslan - 4.5
IBO - 2.7
HeroAca - 1.9

Do you know info about the rest of the ratings? Could have sworn that I saw Magi and Arslan having several episode in the 2. range

And BnH is currently on the 2. range? yes?
May 8, 2016 4:52 PM

Apr 2014
tsudecimo said:
Dab1za9 said:

Magi - 3.8
2199 - 5.7
Magi 2 - 3
Haikyuu - 3.1
NanaTai - 4.9
Arslan - 4.5
IBO - 2.7
HeroAca - 1.9

Do you know info about the rest of the ratings? Could have sworn that I saw Magi and Arslan having several episode in the 2. range

Here's the ratings of other series that previously aired in the timeslot.
http://raptor.2ch.net//test/read.cgi/livejupiter/1460561813/3?v=pc

Yeah someone posted it in BnHA's reddit. Episode 2 was 2.4 while episode 3 was 2.2 I believe.
May 8, 2016 4:54 PM

Dec 2012
@Z4k
Thanks for the link!
It's pretty hard for me to find TV ratings beyond 2012.

And I guess I take back my point about the programming, it's incorrect.
May 8, 2016 4:54 PM
Jul 2015
tsudecimo said:
Dab1za9 said:

Magi - 3.8
2199 - 5.7
Magi 2 - 3
Haikyuu - 3.1
NanaTai - 4.9
Arslan - 4.5
IBO - 2.7
HeroAca - 1.9

It depend if you are seeing Tokyo(TBS) rating or Osaka(MBS) but yes a lot of show had 2.x rating and so is BnH
Here is the rating for the rest

The lowest show have 2.2 average in Tokyo.
May 8, 2016 5:18 PM

Oct 2015
BonerBender said:

But the manga for boku no pico academia is pretty popular in japen.
May 8, 2016 5:20 PM

Apr 2014
BonerBender said:
yup this is why we put them in middle school! SO MUCH BETTER
May 8, 2016 5:36 PM
Oct 2013
Z4k said:
tsudecimo said:

Here's the ratings of other series that previously aired in the timeslot.
http://raptor.2ch.net//test/read.cgi/livejupiter/1460561813/3?v=pc

Yeah someone posted it in BnHA's reddit. Episode 2 was 2.4 while episode 3 was 2.2 I believe.

Lol that was me.

Anyway, right now the anime holds an average rating of 2.17 (as of episode 3), which isn't good right now. But if it can build it up, it will be in a better position.

I'm still a novice at understanding TV ratings, but I do understand that there can be sudden jumps in the ratings. So while it may not be a good start, we can't really predict how it will go, especially this early on.
May 8, 2016 9:38 PM

May 2009
moodie said:
BonerBender said:

BnHA is about highschoolers, unless you are talking about something else?
May 8, 2016 9:41 PM

Apr 2014
bastek66 said:
moodie said:

BnHA is about highschoolers, unless you are talking about something else?
wouldnt know honestly i dropped it in episode 1.
May 9, 2016 10:01 AM

Jun 2014
Snappynator said:
Agafin said:

Stalker. You can find everything you may like to know about it here
http://www.someanithing.com/sales-faqguide

BnHA is currently tracking to severely underperform compared to previous anime that shared that timeslot. The worse thing is that I've noticed that the battle shonen (like Magi or NNT) which aired there generally had their Disc sales plummet terribly after volume 1. It's normal for subsequent volumes to sell less than the first one but in the case of NNT & Magi, the last volumes generally fell to less than half (less than a quarter in the case of Magi) of the first volume's sales. So if it's already undertracking by volume 1, that spells doom for the overall series average disc sales.

Normally, disc sales wouldn't be too important for a battle anime targetting the general audience rather than otaku, but in this case, the dismal tv ratings just makes them all the worse. It's still a hit for a Shueishia (the manga, not the anime) but definitely not the behemoth that was expected.
May 10, 2016 5:41 AM
Jul 2018
ichii_1 said:

I liked Wolf's Rain. Anything else I've watched from Bones end up unimpressive for me.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

436 by His0kaDevv »»
Apr 11, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

403 by Esu_Kei »»
Apr 10, 1:42 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

332 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 21, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

276 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 18, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

294 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 16, 8:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.