New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 7, 2016 10:36 AM

Jul 2013
OneTrueEmiya said:
Illyricus said:
Nope, plz. I already had too much feelz during the ending ;_;

Quite the heartbreaking ending, don't you think? ^_^
Oh, Emiya, that pun right there sure is punny.
May 7, 2016 10:41 AM

Mar 2015
Illyricus said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

Quite the heartbreaking ending, don't you think? ^_^
Oh, Emiya, that pun right there sure is punny.

It's heartening that you're taking this so well~
May 7, 2016 10:50 AM

Oct 2014
As with any other medium, I can love characters that are horrible people like Dio, Gendo Ikari, Tatsumi, Bill Cipher the Master, GLaDOS, HK-47, etc.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
May 7, 2016 12:19 PM

Oct 2015
I would hate Rick if he was an actual person.
May 7, 2016 9:32 PM

Jul 2014
The characters I usually like in animes are usually those who are like that.

From the arrogant to the downright weird. They're simply more interesting and I like the life they add to an anime... though I'd never even consider liking admiring talking approaching looking at them if they were actual people.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 7, 2016 11:01 PM
Oct 2014
I like Issei in High School DxD. In real life he would be expelled from school and probably charged with multiple counts of sexual harrassment. And if I were on the jury on his trial I would feel no remorse for sending him to jail.

But in the show he's SOOOO much fun to watch that I can forgive his perverted actions toward fictional girls.
May 7, 2016 11:04 PM

Feb 2010
Liking a character in the context of the narrative or liking them as a character/person are not necessarily overlapping. I've enjoyed a lot of characters that I wouldn't call likable, because they were interesting or did a great job within the narrative.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 8, 2016 2:17 AM

Jul 2015
Pullman said:
Liking a character in the context of the narrative or liking them as a character/person are not necessarily overlapping. I've enjoyed a lot of characters that I wouldn't call likable, because they were interesting or did a great job within the narrative.

This. I don't understand why so many people mix the writing/quality of a character with his personality. Yeah, Griffith is one of the best villain ever written. No, I don't "like" him.
May 8, 2016 2:59 AM

Oct 2015
I'm not sure I would find Yuno as entertaining if she was coming after me...
May 8, 2016 4:10 AM

Jul 2015
He's not my favorite, but a lot of people love Izaya Orihara and he's an idiot

^also tru
May 8, 2016 4:17 AM
Aug 2015
The entire cast of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
May 8, 2016 4:30 AM

Jul 2015
On_the_Lam said:
The entire cast of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Same than with Griffith, most people don't LIKE the characters, they just admit that they're well written. Nobody likes Asuka.
May 8, 2016 4:50 AM
Jul 2015
Liking a character doesn't mean you agree with his actions. What is wrong in enjoying the evilness of a villain?

May 8, 2016 7:31 AM

May 2015
Jaarin said:
I think its called "fictive pass asymmetry", basically we are inclined to give a pass on most morally ambiguous actions(and even some unambiguous) so long as we accept it as being either a fictional situation or one that is detached from our own immediate/habitual circumstances.

In the wider context I always kinda felt it wasn't so much the character that I like per se, but rather the character in a particular scenario...

Its also because emphathising with a character is not the same as sympathising...

I wonder if that 'fictive pass asymmetry' causes us to be more gentle with horrible people we only hear about in the news.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 8, 2016 7:45 AM
Nov 2014
The characters that deviate from common values are much more interesting to me, than the over used 'hero of justice' trope.
May 8, 2016 7:49 AM
Mar 2011
JonasTheJay said:
I don't think I would like villains like Hisoka, Dio or Char in real life :D

char i would sice hes a fine anti hero aand pious guy
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 8, 2016 10:32 AM

May 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
I wonder if that 'fictive pass asymmetry' causes us to be more gentle with horrible people we only hear about in the news.

Possibly, the study only dealt primarily with fictional scenarios when compared with their real life counter part (rather than real life scenarios in of themselves) and drew a line between moral "harm" and "moral" purity...we usually give a pass to moral harm (i.e. physical violence) but not purity (i.e. incest) to a rather remarkable degree (89% had no problem with fictional harm versus 12% for impurity, if I recall--the study is at viva stage).

Kinda makes Hisoka an interesting example because he transgresses both moral harm and moral purity. Though this is not to ignore cultural narrative idioms --i.e. how fictional narratives emerge from cultural nuances...their cultural language-- that might make use of the transgression for other purposes. I.e. Hisoka's more paedophillic tendencies are usually played off of Gon's innocence for a possible humorous effect...or perhaps not. The idiom in this case following a kind of, but not literal,"tsukkomi" convention.

Either way, based on the study we are likely to condone or even enjoy Hisokas extremely sadistic and violent behaviour, but less likely (but necessarily always) condemn him for his more erm...unsavoury(?) actions (keeping in mind said actions are often implicity hinted at rather than explicitly revealed). This in addition to other qualities of the character such as; their placement within the narrative, as well as other contributing conventions and ideologies etc.
May 8, 2016 10:33 AM

Feb 2016
Fuhrer Bradley is so awesome yet would be so hated in real life

I bet a lot of people would RESPECT bradley but still hate him
May 8, 2016 1:08 PM

Dec 2015
I think it is also worth acknowledging that people have different senses of what is right and wrong. This can mean while some people would consider a character evil, others would see them as a hero. I would approve of Light Yagami and Lelouch's actions in real life, but other people would consider them evil. It would not be outlandish even to find a character who is the villain in a story to be a hero in your eyes. Right and wrong is very subjective.
May 8, 2016 1:10 PM

Jul 2014
Shonen-King said:
I think it is also worth acknowledging that people have different senses of what is right and wrong. This can mean while some people would consider a character evil, others would see them as a hero. I would approve of Light Yagami and Lelouch's actions in real life, but other people would consider them evil. It would not be outlandish even to find a character who is the villain in a story to be a hero in your eyes. Right and wrong is very subjective.

This turned philosophical real fast...
May 8, 2016 1:15 PM

Dec 2015
aqing0601 said:
Shonen-King said:

This turned philosophical real fast...

It is relevant to the conversation though.
May 8, 2016 1:25 PM

Feb 2015
Natsu wouldn't be liked very much, as he constantly gets into fights and has no problem vandalising other people's property.
Also Kagari from Black★Rock Shooter, which is one of my favourite anime characters, I couldn't see as a very pleasant girl to be with.
May 8, 2016 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
I do like some evil character yes.

Take Hisoka from HxH. The anime wouldn't be same without him. Same goes for Gilgamesh in the Fate series.

Of course I wouldn't come near to those people in real life.

They still don't compare to my favorite "Horrible" video game character Ellen. God I love that girl.
May 8, 2016 10:26 PM

Oct 2011
I've always liked Alucard, but the thought of encountering him in a dark alley really scares me.
May 9, 2016 7:37 AM

May 2015
Jaarin said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Possibly, the study only dealt primarily with fictional scenarios when compared with their real life counter part (rather than real life scenarios in of themselves) and drew a line between moral "harm" and "moral" purity...we usually give a pass to moral harm (i.e. physical violence) but not purity (i.e. incest) to a rather remarkable degree (89% had no problem with fictional harm versus 12% for impurity, if I recall--the study is at viva stage).

Kinda makes Hisoka an interesting example because he transgresses both moral harm and moral purity. Though this is not to ignore cultural narrative idioms --i.e. how fictional narratives emerge from cultural nuances...their cultural language-- that might make use of the transgression for other purposes. I.e. Hisoka's more paedophillic tendencies are usually played off of Gon's innocence for a possible humorous effect...or perhaps not. The idiom in this case following a kind of, but not literal,"tsukkomi" convention.

Either way, based on the study we are likely to condone or even enjoy Hisokas extremely sadistic and violent behaviour, but less likely (but necessarily always) condemn him for his more erm...unsavoury(?) actions (keeping in mind said actions are often implicity hinted at rather than explicitly revealed). This in addition to other qualities of the character such as; their placement within the narrative, as well as other contributing conventions and ideologies etc.

I'm not shocked to hear about the whole 'purity' thing. I know people are more repulsed by women having a lot of sex than rape.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 9, 2016 3:38 PM

Nov 2015
mouvite said:
Light is my absolutely favourite character, but if I met someone like this in the real life I would definitely stay away.

makes me cautious of who I give out my name to. XD I agree with you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 9, 2016 4:34 PM

Mar 2016
CapitalistGod said:
Also, do you believe that if someone like this kind of characters.... it reflects something off their real life?

I'll stick with answering this portion for now in the best way I can.

I think that it's fair to say, yes, it does reflect things from our day to day lives. It would be inappropriate for me to say that you like a character like this because you yourself wish to have a personality more like hers. The human mind is a complex matter that very few people ( if any ) truly understand.
May 12, 2016 7:23 PM

Jun 2015
if they existed in real life, i'd be one of thier kind, so yeah fun.

we could try killin each other but,,,,,

to much collateral damage?
May 12, 2016 7:27 PM

Dec 2014
Kumagawa Misogi and Kaiki Deishu would be really horrible as real people but they're awesome in their anime
May 12, 2016 10:27 PM

Mar 2015
Here's a quick test to put this whole thing to rest:

May 12, 2016 10:37 PM
Jun 2015
Well, I don't feel like a fucked up person for liking Sal from Wadanohara and loving Fukami from the same game. You know, the guy who
and the guy who

Not to mention my love for the character from the same games, Orca, who

I don't think it's bad to like characters like this.
May 12, 2016 10:43 PM

Nov 2015
OneTrueEmiya said:

And what if I did both along with fawning over how great a person Shinji was?
May 13, 2016 1:17 AM

Jul 2013
OneTrueEmiya said:

I laughed a bit. That means I'm worse than Lighto-kun?

Btw: Light did nothing wrong.
May 13, 2016 2:07 AM

Mar 2015
GesuYarou said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

And what if I did both along with fawning over how great a person Shinji was?

Hmm, then you're a good person. Liking based Shinji = +1k points in goodness.

Illyricus said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

Yup, you're an evil murderer on the loose waiting to destroy the world ^_^
May 13, 2016 2:20 AM

Aug 2015
I nominate this asshole:

#30 charac
You've done nothing but spout meaningless prattle. - Yukino Yukinoshita.
May 13, 2016 2:23 AM
Aug 2011
Not sure what you're talking about because Hisoka could get it in 2D life and in real life.
May 13, 2016 2:30 AM

Jul 2013
OneTrueEmiya said:
Illyricus said:

Yup, you're an evil murderer on the loose waiting to destroy the world ^_^
Oh, boy... ...................................................................
May 14, 2016 6:24 PM

May 2015
CapitalistGod said:
Have you ever liked one of this kinds of characters? Or do you just have an aversion to them automatically?

Also, do you believe that if someone like this kind of characters.... it reflects something off their real life?

Well I mean...their fictional characters in a story...so..of course
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
May 14, 2016 9:51 PM

Aug 2014
If I would have the opportunity, I would like to get stranded on a remote island with esdeath, yuno, palm, flay allstar, nakiri erina, and iwakura lain's mom! :D I bet I'll never get bored on that island.
May 14, 2016 9:56 PM

Apr 2016
Fukuyama from Girl's Bravo, a perv that somehow gets away with mild rape/extreme sexual harrasment.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

55 by Rinenka »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

14 by Rinenka »»
13 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 50 minutes ago

9 by Kenzolo-folk »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
18 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

56 by Ionliosite2 »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.