Forum Settings
Forums

Why are Tsundere characters usually the main love interest?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 7, 2016 8:14 AM

Nov 2015
DumneGOD said:
-Senpai- said:
Because they never get together. Except when they do, I hate when they do.
Why would you hate that????? -.- -.-

The reason as to why I hate it is because it's infuriating to watch someone who put our MC through so much shit get the guy in the end. As of the guy was obliged to show her the affection that she didn't.
It's almost degrading.

Non violent tsunderes are fine in my book though, particulary the male ones..
May 8, 2016 1:54 AM

Jul 2007
The idea of Tsundere trope itself is about a FAILURE in writing a character.

A very common way to write a romance is to make it dynamic love-hate kind of interaction between two characters. It does not even mean that the characters should eventually become lovey-dovey - bickering is generally enjoyable part of a portrayal of a romantic relationship. Alas those writers who lack talent usually find it easier to TRY to accomplish that by flip-flopping a character as if she was bipolar.

If we look at the root of it - characters like Asuka, while their behavior can be insufferable and annoying as hell - have actual psychological reasons to behave the way they do - its part of their psychological profile and is triggered by specific factors within their environment. Its EASY to lump them into "tsundere" stereotype because they share similarities, but that does not make it true. A tsundere is a simplification of real psychological issues into a generic trope where a girl can act like a complete bitch one second and be nice the other without a reason.

A love-hate kind of dynamic requires character banter and those people are simply unable to write it in a believable way without turning characters into tropes. And somewhere along the way the trope became popular among otaku and thus other less talented writers began to just copy paste the stereotype without actually writing a character. And then we add in the fact that passive male leads apparantly are EXTREMELY popular because they dont have a stand out unique personality(and thus are easy to self insert into) and suddenly the WHOLE MEANING of a love-hate dynamic is lost as it turns into trope we see thousands of times in anime - a passive self insert dude being abused by a walking trope.
May 8, 2016 10:45 AM

Feb 2016
I assume mostly for Comedy or to appeal to Masochistic people
May 8, 2016 11:31 AM
Apr 2016
If it's a romance anime with a tsundere love interest, I don't know. I hate that, because other dere types would be so much more interesting. But if it's an anime that doesn't focus much on romance, tsunderes are much easier for the writer.
May 8, 2016 11:36 AM

Jul 2015
I hate the romance between mc and tsundere
May 8, 2016 3:08 PM

May 2014
Tsunderes can be so frustrating...

BloodSimpleMay 8, 2016 3:22 PM
May 8, 2016 4:00 PM

Dec 2015
I never understood the general appeal of a tsundere either. Must be some a sick fetish of males looking to dominate the "hard-to-get" types. Disgusting.
May 8, 2016 4:38 PM

Sep 2012
bikers123 said:
What I would like to know is that, is there a particular reason why this trope is so common and popular other than the reasons I mentioned above? What are your thoughts on the matter?
No. You pretty much got it all.

It's easy to write (just write somebody who's a constant contrarian and says easy insults- bam, character is completely written), it creates a sense of drama, it creates a sense of progression, and it lengthens the story.
May 8, 2016 4:41 PM

May 2014
I think it's because most romance anime center on that singular relationship of the MC x girl...having the tsundere girl as the main love interest makes it feel like more of a conquest once he gains her love and trust. Banter can also become even more hilarious when at least one tsundere is involved.

Having a tsundere develop and gradually open up can also be utilised as a sub-plot...why is she so untrusting? What happened in her past to make her that way? Kinda like Ookami from Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi and Suzuka from, well...Suzuka.

I use female characters as examples since they seem more popular in harems than reverse harems (only Tsundere I can think of off the top of my head there is Kyo Sohma).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2016 4:47 PM
Feb 2014
I notice more Deredere as main love interest while tsundere is the one that comes out losing.

Fai said:

A very common way to write a romance is to make it dynamic love-hate kind of interaction between two characters. It does not even mean that the characters should eventually become lovey-dovey - bickering is generally enjoyable part of a portrayal of a romantic relationship. Alas those writers who lack talent usually find it easier to TRY to accomplish that by flip-flopping a character as if she was bipolar.

If we look at the root of it - characters like Asuka, while their behavior can be insufferable and annoying as hell - have actual psychological reasons to behave the way they do - its part of their psychological profile and is triggered by specific factors within their environment. Its EASY to lump them into "tsundere" stereotype because they share similarities, but that does not make it true. A tsundere is a simplification of real psychological issues into a generic trope where a girl can act like a complete bitch one second and be nice the other without a reason.

A love-hate kind of dynamic requires character banter and those people are simply unable to write it in a believable way without turning characters into tropes. And somewhere along the way the trope became popular among otaku and thus other less talented writers began to just copy paste the stereotype without actually writing a character. And then we add in the fact that passive male leads apparantly are EXTREMELY popular because they dont have a stand out unique personality(and thus are easy to self insert into) and suddenly the WHOLE MEANING of a love-hate dynamic is lost as it turns into trope we see thousands of times in anime - a passive self insert dude being abused by a walking trope.

Asuka is not a tsundere and the archetype existed way before EVA and hell even before anime.

CherryLover said:
I never understood the general appeal of a tsundere either. Must be some a sick fetish of males looking to dominate the "hard-to-get" types. Disgusting.

#BanRomanceInAnime
AqutanMay 8, 2016 4:50 PM
May 8, 2016 11:48 PM

Jul 2007
The_Nico said:

Asuka is not a tsundere and the archetype existed way before EVA and hell even before anime.

Did you even read my post?
I outright stated that Asuka is not a tsundere.
And trope existing or not existing before that has nothing to do what I wrote.

Read before you quote next time.
May 8, 2016 11:57 PM

Nov 2015
CherryLover said:

You do know that male tsunderes do exist right?
Fai said:

Agreed.
Tsundere didn't really need to be a trope but turned into one once people realized how easy it is to leech off of.

And cyka isn't a tsundere she's a straight up abusive cunt. That's all there is to it..
May 10, 2016 2:33 PM
Apr 2015
Arrieta said:
It seems like Western audiences, who generally have more experience in dealing with the opposing sex during their youth, have a much stronger grudge against tsunderes than their East Asian counterparts.
We do? Have you seen what's been going on lately? Nearly nobody wants to even so much as have a relationship let alone want to talk to a female anymore.
May 10, 2016 2:36 PM

May 2016
It shows the development from brutally beating the guy up to eventually falling in love, its way better than the plain Onodera from Nisekoi character archetype that never have any character development ever
May 10, 2016 2:38 PM
Apr 2015
Thug_Gou said:
Because of the thrill of the chase! :D
>thrill
What "thrill"? The thrill of some chick beating the living shit out of you because you looked at her funny? What type of bassackwards logic do you people function from when it comes to relationships?
May 10, 2016 2:49 PM

Jul 2011
Dunno but violent tsunderes who constantly beat on the male leads
are frustrating to root for.
May 10, 2016 7:05 PM

Oct 2009
Silber-Rot said:
Thug_Gou said:
>thrill
What "thrill"? The thrill of some chick beating the living shit out of you because you looked at her funny? What type of bassackwards logic do you people function from when it comes to relationships?

Wtf are you talking about? Not all tsunderes are violent and not all tsunderes are female smh
Have you seen a Tsundere male hit a girl? Yeah, neither have I

Oh and BTW The TSUN part is them being "cold" and "cold" doesn't necessarily and always equate to them being VIOLENT.

May 10, 2016 10:36 PM

Nov 2009
Robiiii said:
Dont know but nonetheless tsundere bitches are most boring characters i can think. Only suspassed by a generic male mc

Doesn't it make them the perfect couple?
And you get to keep all the better girls to yourself.
May 11, 2016 1:42 AM

Dec 2015
flannan said:
Robiiii said:
Dont know but nonetheless tsundere bitches are most boring characters i can think. Only suspassed by a generic male mc

Doesn't it make them the perfect couple?
And you get to keep all the better girls to yourself.

Hahaha that makes sense, altho since they are animu characters I cant touch em, so only thing I can do is ship em with someone :I
May 11, 2016 1:47 AM

Jun 2008
Uhh.....because of the transformation?

See...that's the whole point.

A girl going from TsunTsun to DereDere...

And that's why it because so popular in the first place.

Of course you're NOT supposed to like a Tsundere at the beginning....she's most likely a violent bitch.

But slowly her heart softens and she turns into a kind, soft, and loving.

Well at least that's how it's SUPPOSED to be.
May 11, 2016 1:49 AM

Mar 2016
Because mc try to go for impossible?
May 11, 2016 2:17 AM

Nov 2009
CherryLover said:

Tsundere can be played for romance or for cute. Or some mix of the two.

In romance it works like this:
1) Tsundere has to be really attractive. Best character design, one of the best fighters in the series (in action anime the authors often screw this up by having her be nominally good in a fight, but losing all the time; in comedy anime, she just beats people up a lot; in more realistic ones, this requirement is dropped), rich family, good grades, charming, and anything else that matters in the show.
This instantly makes her desirable, no matter how bad her personality is. Most tsundere aren't even all that bad in personality.

2) Judicious application of "skinner's box" with random chance of affection (reward) make viewers value this affection a lot more than affection of dere-dere type girls.

3) Finally, the prospect of actually wining her heart prevents viewers from realizing the problem.

When played for cute, they instead play up the "immature girl who suffers a panic attack and gets defensive when she feels affection" part. It works best when the girl is short and cute.
That's how Taiga from Toradora works - she has pretty much no redeeming qualities, but the viewers wish her to grow up and gain happiness.

Jaarin said:
Or, to put it another way, a tsundere character when first met will probably a unique and novel experience, like meeting Jack the Ripper. But its not necessarily a cut above the rest when you encounter them a second time...unless you discover Jack the Ripper was in fact Ian Holmes all along! Basically they can be a provocatively novel alternative to the normal love story coupling (princeXprincess).

Now I want an anime about tsundere Jack the Ripper.

Silber-Rot said:
Thug_Gou said:
>thrill

That's simple. The one who gets beat up isn't us, it's the stupid main character. Or the tough main character who doesn't get hurt by it much. Or both.

JustALEX said:
Here's the Perfect Tsundere for you guys....

kattee said:
thought guys prefer noisy emotional girls since it's easier to start conversations with them

I don't think it works like that. Sure, it's hard to talk to a shy girl, but tsundere are hard to talk to too, just for different reasons.
flannanMay 11, 2016 10:14 AM
May 11, 2016 5:50 PM

Apr 2016
Because it is generally more interesting to see than the guy falling for a slightly (or overwhelmingly) stupid female with big jugs, and people like to laugh at the typical tsundere slapping the MC when he does something perverted or something. It is far more interesting to see someone transform/change due to their affections for the MC, or rather the MC's ability to influence that kind of change in someone. The MC gets that character to open up and a lot of people enjoy that kind of romance.

EDIT

Super violent tsundere characters are unappealing though. Like Sakura from Naruto or something. That shit is just annoying.

Tarotist said:
Because it feels so satisfying to break the hard shell of a crab to taste the soft meat inside....

ahaha
RhaeserysMay 11, 2016 5:54 PM

"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."
May 11, 2016 5:53 PM

Jan 2016
Like, Tsunderes are good, but when the author wants to force the 'Eventually the MC chooses the Tsundere route'...it gets annoying. Mostly because how it is handled, 95% of the work is all about making the Tsundere (and sometimes Kudere) as static and devoid of feelings toward the MC, then at the veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy end it is just when LOVE IS IN THE AIR!. Fuck that.

"...ahh, you're really wonderful. I like you. Oh, of course Mari-san is the first okay? I won't give up on Mari-san being my legal wife."
May 11, 2016 6:08 PM

Jan 2016
I think it's because Tsundere characters make people wait for them to show their true self and they make some of the best romantic scenes.

For me, all Tsundere characters are adorable and fun to watch when they reveal themselves.

Don't know about you guys but Kuudere's the best type for me :3
At least justify your opinions instead of just saying "it's my opinion". It would've been more polite.

May 11, 2016 6:10 PM

Dec 2013
Tsundere triggers their inner masochism
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
May 11, 2016 6:13 PM

May 2013
To begin with tsundere is not even the most popular personality, it's always the auto-waifu character that is perfect at everything and kind and bla bla bla and typically the childhood friend, i don't like typical tsunderes myself but if a tsundere is well done i don't mind, i still prefer koodere/stoic tho
May 11, 2016 6:17 PM

Apr 2016
EPP97 said:
I think it's because Tsundere characters make people wait for them to show their true self and they make some of the best romantic scenes.

For me, all Tsundere characters are adorable and fun to watch when they reveal themselves.

Don't know about you guys but Kuudere's the best type for me :3

Excuse me for asking this on an anime forum but...what is a kuudere?

May 11, 2016 7:20 PM

Jan 2016
Rhaeserys said:

Kuudere is what you called the ice queens. They're very cold and it seems that they don't care much about the people they love. It's a bit different from Tsundere. Tsundere can go from cold to burning hot (very loving) in seconds. While Kuudere can only go from cold to less cold in a great number of episodes. They rarely show their caring and loving side. One example of a Kuudere girl I can give is

The type of Kuudere girls I like are the ones who likes to keep their distance far away from people around them because of personal problems but soon to close that distance when they meet a person that they love.

This is my perspective of a Kuudere :) I don't know if it has a definite meaning. You can try google to know more. I like them because they are mysterious and it is more fun to dig their coolness out to find their true self underneath.
At least justify your opinions instead of just saying "it's my opinion". It would've been more polite.

May 11, 2016 7:24 PM

Apr 2016
EPP97 said:
Rhaeserys said:

Kuudere is what you called the ice queens. They're very cold and it seems that they don't care much about the people they love. It's a bit different from Tsundere. Tsundere can go from cold to burning hot (very loving) in seconds. While Kuudere can only go from cold to less cold in a great number of episodes. They rarely show their caring and loving side. One example of a Kuudere girl I can give is

The type of Kuudere girls I like are the ones who likes to keep their distance far away from people around them because of personal problems but soon to close that distance when they meet a person that they love.

This is my perspective of a Kuudere :) I don't know if it has a definite meaning. You can try google to know more. I like them because they are mysterious and it is more fun to dig their coolness out to find their true self underneath.

Oh! Thanks for the information. I didn't know there were terms for other character types besides tsundere.

May 11, 2016 7:35 PM

Jan 2016
When Protagonist goes for the Yandere though

:^]

"...ahh, you're really wonderful. I like you. Oh, of course Mari-san is the first okay? I won't give up on Mari-san being my legal wife."
May 12, 2016 4:38 PM

Jul 2015
I don't really mind tsunderes. I just hate when they literally show NO "dere" and yet still are the most loved. I like to see them show even a little bit of compassion for the protagonist.
May 13, 2016 5:22 PM
Apr 2016
Because some people love female protagonist who act tsundere as role for support main protagonist than female main protagonist.
Sep 8, 2016 10:35 AM
Aug 2015
I think Japanese people are masochist.How can you love a girl who kicks you and act really weird?

Really,i don't like harem animes beacuse of that.Tsundere wins,tsundere wins,tsundere wins.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

49 by EastIndiaCompany »»
2 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

28 by EastIndiaCompany »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

186 by Zarutaku »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

24 by M_MASTER »»
27 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

49 by BatoKusanagi »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.