Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 6, 2016 5:50 PM

May 2015
you sir, are an idiot who uses convuluted sentences and is talking a whole load of bull
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
May 6, 2016 8:52 PM

May 2016
I get bored easily by watching the screen so I find no joy in watching anime.
May 7, 2016 12:03 AM

May 2015
AssassinWolfXE said:
It's obviously meant mainly for entertainment..........It's "how people treat it" is what you want to ask right??

TheBrainintheJar said:
I don't think I have such a deep emotional connection with it. That's something I have with people.

But I do care a lot about anime. It's one of my favorite hobbies and I'm passionate about. After all, I watch a lot and review a lot. To me, a hobby isn't something that just gives me a good time. It expands my horizons, builds me and helps me appreciate life more.

Anime is that. I know it sounds silly to many people, but many of them can't produce a unique thought so fuck 'em.

This is completely true for me too................Anime is a way of life. When something sad happens to the characters, it hurts. You find joy in their accomplishments and connect with them on a deeper level. It's like a Second World which no one can take away from you..........................except maybe your modem or something.

It's not like that. Whether bad things or good things happen to the characters doesn't matter to me. I'm analytical. I care about the meaning behind these events. Fiction is about making sense of our lives.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 7, 2016 9:07 AM
Dec 2014
Anime is just another form of entertainment.
May 7, 2016 10:38 AM

Jul 2014
I don't think I'm "bonded" with anime, but it has taken a somewhat special place in my life. Anyways I don't appreciate it as I used to, I just like it nowadays.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2016 10:39 AM

May 2015
Most anime's are just for entertainment but anime like Death Parade made me a bit emotional and they 'learned' me stuff, made me realise things.

But for most of it, it is a way to entertain myself when I am bored
May 7, 2016 12:03 PM

May 2014
"Do I love anime" nah the shit is for little kids.
Jk i watch cuz its fire.
May 7, 2016 12:08 PM

Dec 2015
Yes I do. This is why I spend time on forums and speak to people about the newest fads around the anime community.
May 7, 2016 12:50 PM

Jul 2010
I do, but I appreciate it more when I think about the people who worked on it.
May 7, 2016 12:55 PM
Jan 2015
I've invested quite a bit of my time and money into, so it'll be absolutely retarded of me to do that for something I don't care to much about.
My Queens

May 7, 2016 12:59 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
If I had to pay for it I could easily live without it.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

May 7, 2016 1:48 PM

Apr 2016
''Source of Enterteainment'' Ok I agree and understand most of your points and complaints but I want to remind you that anime at the end is an entertainment industry.
Ofc you can view it as an art and have an emotional connection there's nothing wrong with that it's fantastic for you.But some people really watch it for entertainment and IT IS OK.Not everyone enjoys the artistic style of anime not everyone enjoys to watch physcological anime or have to worry about their favorite character may get eaten by a titan.Some people just enjoy it from what it is whether it's watching cute characters doing cute things or even just fanservice in general.Why do you think there are so much fanservice in anime (I'm not talking about the unnecessary/overused one.) it draws attention,it attracts people,we like to look at good looking characters.AND THAT IS ALSO OK.Now I know this isn't a disscussion about fanservice but I wanted to make the ''Just an entertainment'' part clear.You can still appreciate it even if you look at it just as an entertainment.
About your actual questions it has made me cry more than 10+ times possibly.And I can tell you that anime has taught/inspired me more than anything from real world.
May 7, 2016 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
I guess I care about it? It's apart of my biggest hobby but I wouldn't say I let it run my life.
May 7, 2016 2:38 PM

Jun 2011
Anime is sort of escapism and it provides me comfort and of course entertainment, but I won't lie if I didn't say it helped me, anime has helped me a lot when dealing with depression, and I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for it.
May 7, 2016 3:38 PM

Oct 2015
Well as someone who did computer animation in college I really appreciate the work put into all of the shows seasons after season with some being better animated than some blockbuster animations.

I think its stupid asking people here do they appreciate anime, they clearly do if they go through the bother of going on a website called my anime list , spend some time making a list and discussing anime with other people.

The thing about it being a fandom for entertainment is a bad question in itself. If anime was not entertaining I would not be watching it and be playing rocket league right now cause it being entertaining would mean fun and i like fun.

about being attached to anime in terms of emotion I do feel sad for some characters but I never could cry (I never cry not even at funerals I think there is something wrong with me). A lot of the time I like to see some weak character who I can relate to become someone interesting.
May 7, 2016 4:21 PM

May 2014
I do. I'd say it's on par with film for me.
May 7, 2016 5:15 PM

Jun 2014
Depends, I'll watch seasonals as mindless entertainment with some select jewels that have merit to them.

But certain series I'll appreciate them as an art form, same as how most people appreciate films have others have already said.
May 7, 2016 7:16 PM
Dec 2015
The questions aren't specific enough. Some anime are huge, to me. Just very few can be held on an "art" scoring system while many can be held on an "entertainment" scoring system - at least for me.

Sure, I care about some anime and more specifically some characters in that very minority of anime.
May 7, 2016 7:26 PM

Jul 2013
I care about anime in moderation and I only care about quality cartoons/animation. If an anime has a great music, then it's something that I can relate to.
May 7, 2016 8:12 PM

May 2009
just entertainment for me 30charactersomg1!1
May 8, 2016 8:25 AM

May 2015
Intense_ said:
''Source of Enterteainment'' Ok I agree and understand most of your points and complaints but I want to remind you that anime at the end is an entertainment industry.
Ofc you can view it as an art and have an emotional connection there's nothing wrong with that it's fantastic for you.But some people really watch it for entertainment and IT IS OK.Not everyone enjoys the artistic style of anime not everyone enjoys to watch physcological anime or have to worry about their favorite character may get eaten by a titan.Some people just enjoy it from what it is whether it's watching cute characters doing cute things or even just fanservice in general.Why do you think there are so much fanservice in anime (I'm not talking about the unnecessary/overused one.) it draws attention,it attracts people,we like to look at good looking characters.AND THAT IS ALSO OK.Now I know this isn't a disscussion about fanservice but I wanted to make the ''Just an entertainment'' part clear.You can still appreciate it even if you look at it just as an entertainment.
About your actual questions it has made me cry more than 10+ times possibly.And I can tell you that anime has taught/inspired me more than anything from real world.

How are art and entertainmen polar opposites? Can't anime be made as both entertainment and art?
May 8, 2016 10:29 PM

Oct 2011
For some people, the act of critical evaluation is more enjoyable than watching the show itself. I have my fair share of both. If I really didn't care about anime, I would be doing other things rather than wasting my time in this medium.
May 8, 2016 10:33 PM

Apr 2014
I think im the only one who enjoys anime as a whole. Ill watch any genre or to any target audience. Ill watch extremely old anime or new anime. Ill watch something like Lain then something like another harem LN.

Im not going to like them all but ima be more open minded and understand which target audiance this is aiming at and how it excels or fails on that. Overall everything I watch is enjoyable to a degree even a 1/10. If i completed there was a reason.

Most ppl are only fans of their niche taste and not anime as a whole.
May 9, 2016 7:53 AM

May 2015
BlueKite said:
For some people, the act of critical evaluation is more enjoyable than watching the show itself. I have my fair share of both. If I really didn't care about anime, I would be doing other things rather than wasting my time in this medium.

I actually worry I may enjoy writing about anime more than watching it.

It's possibly like this with everything else :c.
May 9, 2016 8:08 AM

Jul 2014
If you want me to be honest with you: I want to say yes but that would SERIOUSLY BE Lying to you. Anime helps pass the time when I'm not gaming on MMORPGS or playing my game systems. Its great entertainment but I can't say that I connect with Anime like I do with life.

It makes us laugh, cry, cringe, facepalm(yes facepalm. I'm sure everyone's watched at least one Anime that made you facepalm before so don't act like you haven't),etc,etc,etc. Now to some people they may feel that it connects them to a deeper level but to me its just pure entertainment and nothing more.

That's my two cents. Sorry if I don't connect to Anime on an emotional level like some of you might do but don't get me wrong I think Anime is very enjoyable however I can't relate to any of it because its not real and I don't take it seriously as I've said multiple times: it helps pass the time for me nothing more nothing less.
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
May 9, 2016 8:16 AM

Feb 2016
I like it, but dont want to love or really care of it. coz sometimes it more like parasite to me lol
May 9, 2016 12:37 PM

Apr 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Intense_ said:

How are art and entertainmen polar opposites? Can't anime be made as both entertainment and art?

I didn't say opposites but there are anime out there just for entetainment and not for art ofcourse an anime can be made as both entertainment and art.My point was you can appreciate anime even if it's made just for entertainment and not art.
May 9, 2016 12:48 PM

Oct 2013
It is a decent part from my life, and I connect with the characters, crt when it's sad, happy when something good happens etc.
May 10, 2016 12:12 AM

May 2015
Intense_ said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I didn't say opposites but there are anime out there just for entetainment and not for art ofcourse an anime can be made as both entertainment and art.My point was you can appreciate anime even if it's made just for entertainment and not art.

I'm not sure about what you said. Many will say Date A Live is 'just for entertainment' but there's a lot of artistic thought put into the designs there.

Isn't entertaining the audience an art in itself? Entertaining is hard.
May 10, 2016 11:51 AM

Jul 2015
I love to watch anime so of course I care about anime and I think most people on MAL feel the same way. That's why we're her to discuss and find new anime and people that have the same feelings. Also anime is a big part of my life and a lot of others as will.
May 10, 2016 11:58 AM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

While I agree, you have to consider an audience is not something homogeneous, and there are some people that will enjoy something that is easier to do compared to something that is harder to do, whatever that may be.

For example, there are people that enjoy pretty colors yet don't really care about the purpose of desing, animation details, camera angles, etc, so if you throw them pretty colors they will be happy, but people that enjoy other things in art will feel unentertained.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 10, 2016 2:48 PM

Apr 2016
some people watch it as a pass time and some people love it and love japan etc. i personally love it and will cry like a baby
May 10, 2016 3:01 PM

Apr 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Intense_ said:

I'm not sure about what you said. Many will say Date A Live is 'just for entertainment' but there's a lot of artistic thought put into the designs there.

You've misunderstood me.I think I should've made it clear what I'd meant by 'Art'istic anime.The type of anime that has more absurd style of animation and mostly focuses on abstract more complicated to understand topics.Or the overall execution is absurd and hard to understand even the plot is simple.
Ofcourse there is an art behind Date a Live I'm not saying there isn't but plot is arguably easy to understand,fanservice is common overall it's entertaining and easy to watch whereas the type of anime I'm talking about is harder to understand has more symbolic telling.You have to pay your full attention in order to understand what's really happening.And that can be a bit tiring or even boring sometimes.Whereas I can turn off my head lay back and just enjoy Date a Live from what it is.I hope I've made it clear for you.
I agree with you that entertaining people is an art itself but the ''art'' I was talking about was different.
May 10, 2016 3:31 PM

Apr 2016
Are art and entertainment not one and the same or is this just the postmodernist in me talking?

But for real, I've always seen anime as both a form of art as well as entertainment. Even the boobs 'n butts anime. The two go hand in hand, that's inevitable.

However, I've grown to appreciate the art and craft that anime and animation in general so much more since starting my animation major. Just making these things yourself can really help put things in perspective.

For instance, I used to only think "this looks like shit" when I thought something looked like shit, now I think about how they could have done better and if I could have done better myself (the answer being 'no' 90% of the time).

And don't even get me started on man hours. Even the shittiest anime have animators working 16 hour shifts or longer just to get it done in time.

So ye tl;dr I guess you could say I genuinely care about anime and the people who make them.
May 11, 2016 12:20 AM

May 2015
Intense_ said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You've misunderstood me.I think I should've made it clear what I'd meant by 'Art'istic anime.The type of anime that has more absurd style of animation and mostly focuses on abstract more complicated to understand topics.Or the overall execution is absurd and hard to understand even the plot is simple.
Ofcourse there is an art behind Date a Live I'm not saying there isn't but plot is arguably easy to understand,fanservice is common overall it's entertaining and easy to watch whereas the type of anime I'm talking about is harder to understand has more symbolic telling.You have to pay your full attention in order to understand what's really happening.And that can be a bit tiring or even boring sometimes.Whereas I can turn off my head lay back and just enjoy Date a Live from what it is.I hope I've made it clear for you.
I agree with you that entertaining people is an art itself but the ''art'' I was talking about was different.

Turning your head off doesn't mean anything. If I turned my head off while watching Date A Live, I would've missed on the fairly clever story and Tsukano's beautiful art.

I'm also not sure if 'hard to understand' is equivalent to 'artistic'. Making your anime hard to understand is easy. Chop up the dialogue, use very dark shots and so forth. Digimon Tamers is easy to understand and it has more depth than SEL or Texhnolyze.

An idea's worth isn't in how difficult to understand it is, but how deep it is.

KoreaWS said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

While I agree, you have to consider an audience is not something homogeneous, and there are some people that will enjoy something that is easier to do compared to something that is harder to do, whatever that may be.

For example, there are people that enjoy pretty colors yet don't really care about the purpose of desing, animation details, camera angles, etc, so if you throw them pretty colors they will be happy, but people that enjoy other things in art will feel unentertained.

Difficulty is overrated. The best anime I've seen aren't too difficult to understand because they're focused on telling a meaningful story rather than chopping it up.

Telling a simple story well is extremely difficult though. Look at how BTOOOM or Deadman Wonderland fell apart.
TheBrainintheJarMay 11, 2016 12:31 AM
May 11, 2016 12:46 AM

Nov 2009
moodie said:
I think im the only one who enjoys anime as a whole. Ill watch any genre or to any target audience. Ill watch extremely old anime or new anime. Ill watch something like Lain then something like another harem LN.

Im not going to like them all but ima be more open minded and understand which target audiance this is aiming at and how it excels or fails on that. Overall everything I watch is enjoyable to a degree even a 1/10. If i completed there was a reason.

Wow. That's impressive.

TheBrainintheJar said:
Intense_ said:

That's a good question, thank you!
1) Technically, all anime is art. There is no robot randomly generating harem anime, each of them is the result of somebody's creativity, as that person tries to make a better work than his/her predecessors.

2) When people are talking about art vs entertainment, they are talking about works having something called "artistic value".

3) In my experience, "Artistic value" is something critics define arbitrarily. The more real artistic value a work has, the more reasonable the critic's praise sounds. One can assume that True Art is so obviously artistic that it doesn't need a critic to enlighten the viewer.
On the opposite side stands FLCL. Even after critics tell me it's all really about adolescence and sex, it doesn't sound true, no matter how hard I look at it. I'm pretty sure it's just a random series of unrelated cool scenes that Gainax wanted to draw for LCL-addicted animator reasons. And critics just fell for the joke.

4) Art doesn't have to be boring. In fact, my favorite example of true art is Kodomo no Jikan. It's nicely drawn, funny, interesting, and highlights important questions that make 25% earth's population explode with anger.
It's so artistic they couldn't even show it on regular TV channels, and even the TV channel that usually shows uncensored stuff shows it censored to oblivion. If it isn't the proof it's art, nothing is.
May 11, 2016 1:17 AM

May 2015
flannan said:
moodie said:

Wow. That's impressive.

TheBrainintheJar said:

That's a good question, thank you!
1) Technically, all anime is art. There is no robot randomly generating harem anime, each of them is the result of somebody's creativity, as that person tries to make a better work than his/her predecessors.

2) When people are talking about art vs entertainment, they are talking about works having something called "artistic value".

3) In my experience, "Artistic value" is something critics define arbitrarily. The more real artistic value a work has, the more reasonable the critic's praise sounds. One can assume that True Art is so obviously artistic that it doesn't need a critic to enlighten the viewer.
On the opposite side stands FLCL. Even after critics tell me it's all really about adolescence and sex, it doesn't sound true, no matter how hard I look at it. I'm pretty sure it's just a random series of unrelated cool scenes that Gainax wanted to draw for LCL-addicted animator reasons. And critics just fell for the joke.

4) Art doesn't have to be boring. In fact, my favorite example of true art is Kodomo no Jikan. It's nicely drawn, funny, interesting, and highlights important questions that make 25% earth's population explode with anger.
It's so artistic they couldn't even show it on regular TV channels, and even the TV channel that usually shows uncensored stuff shows it censored to oblivion. If it isn't the proof it's art, nothing is.

I don't see a line between 'entertainment' and 'artistic'. I am entertained by good art. I am entertained by developed themes, good characters and unique stories.
May 11, 2016 5:04 AM

Apr 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Intense_ said:

Turning your head off doesn't mean anything. If I turned my head off while watching Date A Live, I would've missed on the fairly clever story and Tsukano's beautiful art.

I'm also not sure if 'hard to understand' is equivalent to 'artistic'. Making your anime hard to understand is easy. Chop up the dialogue, use very dark shots and so forth. Digimon Tamers is easy to understand and it has more depth than SEL or Texhnolyze.

KoreaWS said:

Difficulty is overrated. The best anime I've seen aren't too difficult to understand because they're focused on telling a meaningful story rather than chopping it up.

Telling a simple story well is extremely difficult though. Look at how BTOOOM or Deadman Wonderland fell apart.

Well I don't know what are you trying to prove but I have to remind you about something called OPINION.While I respect your opinion and your definition of an atristic anime I want you to understand what I'm trying to tell to the ORIGINAL poster of this topic and also understand my point of view.

First of all I know just being hard to understand doesn't make an anime artistic.I'm not like those people who have SEL Evangelion and such on the favorites and give every other series below 5 like they are pure trash.(Now that doesn't mean SEL and Evangelion are bad it's just an example.)And I didn't say such a thing I don't know how did you understand it like that.I said it was a COMPONENT of an artistic anime.Having no meaning behind the complication is not defined as artistic anime.

Second as I said your opinion is your opinion and mine is mine you are just keep telling the line between entertainment and art is not there.The definition I had made about artistic anime was what most of the community and most critics accept and define as an artistic anime.And I agree with them in some points.

No I can't lump Fairy Tail and Steins;Gate together.I can't say they are exactly the same BUT that's my point of view towards anime.Plus that doesn't mean Fairy Tail has no art behind it but I can't accept FT as an artistic anime.Yes I can just forget about everything lay back and understand Fairy Tail AND the 'art'/'meaning' behind it.
May 11, 2016 5:24 AM

Dec 2015
For me anime is art just like other storytelling media. If done well it can hit certain strings that sustain a long time. Hell, I can easily tell you that some stories are direct influences on my own writing.
May 11, 2016 5:35 AM

Aug 2013
To answer all your questions with a famous quote: "No"- William Shakespeare
Anime is a source of entertainment and fandoms, and that's what i appreciate it for. I don't have some special bond with it. I appreciate sometimes the fact of how well put together a certain show is, or how well it was made, or how it made me feel after it ended but that's were it ends, because in hindsight, they're just cartoons. I can feel that way towards any type of media, not just anime.
May 11, 2016 7:25 AM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

What I meant mas: some people like Deadman Wonderland despise how it felt apart, because despise that, they liked the designs, concept, blood, action, etc. It's a different audience that appreciates and get entertained by different things. Shallow harem #342 is still shallow, and I won't watch it, but harewm lover still watch them and will still love them, because that kind of show entertains them.

Look, for example, this article regarding the concept of Sakuga (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2016/05/10/feature-aniwords-on-sakuga-and-why-you-should-care-about-it), and how you can find entertainment on a show based solely on animation. The entertainment depends on the audience, and even though I'm not saying animation is a inferior thing or something silly like that, there are audiences that don't mind Sakuga and focus on characters, exposition, etc.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

May 11, 2016 7:58 AM
May 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Intense_ said:

If something is "just entertainment" then it can't possibly be art, as art is "appreciated" and viewed with a deep sense of interest and curiosity, while something that is "just entertainment" is viewed simply for the sake of keeping you entertained until something more entertaining comes up.

If it is art, you look at it and admire it in some way, whether it be the style, the colors, the story, the characters, or whatever part of it you feel draws the eyes and even the ears. It is something that you question and view in awe. On the other end of the spectrum, if something is just entertainment, you're not sitting there going "I wonder how they created that effect" or "I wonder what colors they used", you're going "I wonder if he's going to win" or "I wonder how much time is left".

Now, since it seems that my words were misinterpreted and many people seem to be thinking that I'm saying you CAN'T or SHOULDN'T view it as "just entertainment" or aren't "enjoying the full potential", I'll give a quick explaination of things.

What I am trying to say (or well, ask) is that "are you someone whom is in some DEEPER way connected to anime for more than just a general appeal?" or "are you someone that simply just enjoys it and has no deeper attachments?"

The reason why I am asking this is because nearly every anime "fan" I've met claim that they appreciate anime and yet they don't even take the time to understand what they are seeing, they are simply watching it because it is amusing. Like I said, there isn't anything wrong with that, your life is your life, not mine to dictate or judge. I am just curious if there are other people out there whom can watch an anime that they enjoy and somehow find a deeper meaning or purpose to it, does it connect with you on a level that is more than just appealing to the eyes or ears.

This question can also pertain to video gamers, as many video gamers don't "appreciate" their games and it is nothing more than "oh hey, this is fun" and when a new game comes out they go "finally, a new game, bout time they made everything better". I mean, it is just sad knowing that many things in life (not just anime and video gaming) are taken for granted and people are just like "oh hey, this is exciting" and when it gets replaced they move on without a care in the world, completely ignoring anything that made them smile in the past and replacing it with a new smile in the future.

Hell, with me, I still have a lot of my old gaming content, I still have my PS1 and although it doesn't work, I can't just toss it away, there are emotions and stories I created with it, it is more than "just entertainment", it actually means something to me besides "oh hey, that was fun while it lasted". I'm the same with anime, even though I've already seen it, from time to time, I'll go back and rewatch it just to remember all those good (and sad) times.

So as I've said before, my sincere apologies if you have misinterpreted this. I am in no way saying that it is wrong to simply enjoy something for the sake of enjoying it, I was just curious if there are other people here whom view it from a deeper perspective besides "well, that was fun, now what..."
May 11, 2016 8:21 AM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

I don't see a line between 'entertainment' and 'artistic'. I am entertained by good art. I am entertained by developed themes, good characters and unique stories.

Here, let me share an opinion from a guy whom I respect a lot. I think his point of view about art is pretty clear, and can help you differentiate art from entertainment from the sensational vs inspirational angle

Do notice I understand you can appreciate both, is not an attack but rather sharing a point of view.

May 11, 2016 11:33 PM

May 2015
Intense_ said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Well I don't know what are you trying to prove but I have to remind you about something called OPINION.While I respect your opinion and your definition of an atristic anime I want you to understand what I'm trying to tell to the ORIGINAL poster of this topic and also understand my point of view.

First of all I know just being hard to understand doesn't make an anime artistic.I'm not like those people who have SEL Evangelion and such on the favorites and give every other series below 5 like they are pure trash.(Now that doesn't mean SEL and Evangelion are bad it's just an example.)And I didn't say such a thing I don't know how did you understand it like that.I said it was a COMPONENT of an artistic anime.Having no meaning behind the complication is not defined as artistic anime.

Second as I said your opinion is your opinion and mine is mine you are just keep telling the line between entertainment and art is not there.The definition I had made about artistic anime was what most of the community and most critics accept and define as an artistic anime.And I agree with them in some points.

No I can't lump Fairy Tail and Steins;Gate together.I can't say they are exactly the same BUT that's my point of view towards anime.Plus that doesn't mean Fairy Tail has no art behind it but I can't accept FT as an artistic anime.Yes I can just forget about everything lay back and understand Fairy Tail AND the 'art'/'meaning' behind it.

It's all opinions but we can still explain them. How is the difficulty in EoE or SEL artistic? It's easy to make a story hard to follow. Just look at Game of Thrones but that's trash.

@KoreaWS: Good post, but I think it fails to address anime as a fictional medium. How anime works is the same is how most fiction work - it tells an engrossing story.

The story can be many things. It can be an abstract, symbolic one. It can be a bizarre adventure. It can be a story solely exploring a character's psych without many events. What's important to me when I review anime is what the story is about, and how it's told.

@Tomosaci:

I understand you, but I think you're talking more about audience's approach rather than the anime itself.

I'm sure many people watch Freezing or Date A Live just to pass the time, but I didn't. I appreciated Freezing's fairly convincing reality of teens-in-military. I found both shows to have a beautiful visual style.

I don't watch anime just to pass the time, or to wonder 'who will win'. I don't care about the outcome as much as I care what the outcome means, how it concludes its themes and so on.

Many anime don't explore deeper ideas and that's okay. They often rely on beautiful art, quirky characters and good storytelling. That's not a lesser form of art and I tend to go deep on these, too.
May 12, 2016 5:04 AM

Oct 2014
@TheBrainintheJar
I'd like to consider literature an art form too. If it is valid, the story could also be viewed through that perspective. What do you think?

May 12, 2016 2:49 PM

May 2015
KoreaWS said:
@TheBrainintheJar
I'd like to consider literature an art form too. If it is valid, the story could also be viewed through that perspective. What do you think?

Literature is definitely an art form.

The world is actually full of art forms. In general, the moment you see the art in something is the moment you gain a new appreciation for it.
May 12, 2016 7:03 PM

Jun 2015
i want to be an anime charcter.............................
May 12, 2016 8:47 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Obviously. I wouldn't be watching it if I didn't "really" care about it or if I didn't feel anything when I watched it.
May 12, 2016 8:56 PM

Jan 2016
no xd ......................................
May 12, 2016 8:57 PM
Jul 2018
I enjoy anime and appreciate it as an art and entertainment format the same way I do film. I connect with people in films, I connect with anime characters, both mediums precipitate emotional reactions.

Fortunately, I also connect with humanity.
Fortunately, I still find human deaths more important than fictional deaths.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 hours ago

11 by Horizon248 »»
2 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

67 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
4 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

46 by TitanOfPlasma »»
10 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

38 by Absurdo_N »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - Yesterday

17 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.