Forum Settings
Forums
Jan 15, 2010 5:08 AM

KiJzOr said:
looks like facebook o.O

yea . so right O_O;;
Yuruku said:
I like it, its cleaner and more professional.

Will it show a little (1) next to my profile if I have a message or friend invite?

oh oh ! yeaa .. right ! the new layout are really making curious if it makes the same notification / things like the old layout O_o !!

PS: I just logged in today: 01.15.10 -- OH GAWD ! i was so shocked in the LAYOUT . It's so long since I logged in here in MAL . i think, almost a week. Oh please, I think this is really irritating. The look may be kind of good, but I hate the Navigator. WTH ?? i dunno what to say now ! >:(

Mai; Inactive. Ta-tah!

Jan 15, 2010 7:12 AM

i think it is only a think of habit. One or two weeks and it will be fine.

Jan 15, 2010 7:43 AM

the new layout is ok, but on the right side there is a huge empty space, dunno why

Jan 15, 2010 7:49 AM

I still don't like it...
The whole parts in comments and other MAL sites looks especially empty...
Who need it? Guys who love put huge pictures to clubs/profiles? -.-
In resolution of 1280×1024 this page don't look good...
Now, now I only use this site to organize anime and manga.
Modified by LittleStar, Jan 18, 2010 10:06 AM

Jan 15, 2010 8:19 AM

It looks fresh, yes. But I do think that it is a downgrade.

I'd rather have to option of using the sidebar. Personally, I found it much more helpful. This lags.

Nasty. D:

Jan 15, 2010 8:28 AM

kkslider89 said:
I hate it sidebar was much faster and easier to manage

edit: is it possible to get http://userstyles.org/styles/24177 to work with opera?
Delete the top two lines and the bottom one, save as (something).css, right click anywhere while on MAL, Edit Site Preferences, Display, My Style Sheet, browse for the .css file and reload the page. It works for me on Opera 10.10.

Missytalker said:
This lags.
Let me guess? Internet Explorer? That's the only browser that "lags" on my computer. If I'm right, please don't use it anymore. Chrome/Opera/Firefox are your friends.

Jan 15, 2010 8:36 AM

Im not really used to the new layout but it has alot more space and I really like it.

[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/_Haru&sclick=1]

Jan 15, 2010 9:03 AM

the new layout is cool, i like it :) i only have to get use to it, like every body else :)

Jan 15, 2010 9:19 AM
Don't we need a poll about the new navigation?

Jan 15, 2010 9:27 AM

+10 Kudo's for Yuruku and Bastvera
for fixing the sidebar
Get it HERE
Modified by Arcan, Jan 15, 2010 9:31 AM

Jan 15, 2010 9:34 AM

Jan 15, 2010 10:55 AM

Well it is not bad, but the new menu is lagging my pc.... sorry

Jan 15, 2010 11:20 AM

Most people still seem to prefer the old layout. Nothing's going to come from that?

Jan 15, 2010 11:30 AM

Xinil said:
This should hopefully help condense the ugly navigation, <snip>

The "ugly" navigation was quite efficient, ergo I prefer it and want it back.

Jan 15, 2010 1:07 PM

Made a userstyle to look more like the old navigation.
Find it here: http://userstyles.org/styles/24200

Jan 15, 2010 1:53 PM

someone alrdy made that

Jan 15, 2010 2:09 PM
imo the new design looks great but ...

on a site like mal ppl click a lot and its not really practical , convinient at all

Jan 15, 2010 2:13 PM
That is a greasemonkey script, I would avoid it like fire.

And it is browser dependent. And you could change every site to look like that.

What's the point?

Jan 15, 2010 2:16 PM

this is offensive, it only works on FF. What about those of us on other browsers? (i will provide SSs if neccesary to show what happens with others)

Jan 15, 2010 2:30 PM

This new layout isn't nearly as easy to search and use as the older version. Without the sidebar I'm not sure where things are anymore.....

Jan 15, 2010 2:49 PM

pedosensei said:

What's the point?

It's not a Greasemonkey script. It is CSS.

Also, for something that's browser dependent, it's funny that it says "Tested with Firefox, Chrome and Opera".

Jan 15, 2010 2:57 PM

-.-'

Jan 15, 2010 3:04 PM
<undefined />

I don't like it.
Unsight said:
I don't like the navigation at all.

Dropdown menus are annoying and sticky. Can I have my buttons back please? :(

^ Especially I don't like this at all. I completely agree with what Unsight said.

I think the old layout was very nice. It didn't need to be changed.
What makes me dislike the new layout even more is that there are so many bugs around MAL that needs something to be done and instead of them being fixed we get the new layout? Sorry but I'm quite disappointed.

I would have preferred a lot to see the double MM bug fixed. Or the 65534 messages one. Or the spoiler tag not center with ANY browser other than IE (and not even in InPrivate Browsing). Or the club invitation counter. And the list could go on.
Really, the timing to do this was very bad imo.
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Denials: anime | manga
Modifications: anime | manga
-----------------------------------

Jan 15, 2010 3:16 PM

Takumi_Nishijo said:

-.-'

Maybe you can find some help in here:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=150744

: )

Jan 15, 2010 3:51 PM

GDL-URAHARA said:
My Panel and other quick links (e.g. Top Anime etc.) are now not directly accessible. I still have not found a link.

Mouse over the anime button, then at the bottom there is a link that says "Top Anime" took me 5 seconds after the layout change to find it, don't get why you couldn't if you'd actually tried looking for it. Not, trying to be a jerk, but it doesn't seem like you've actually tried looking for it. If you have and you really just couldn't find it, then I'm sorry for my tone.

OrochiPL said:
N1nj4br34dm4n said:
OrochiPL said:
Dropdown menus don't work on my phone, i really prefer old layout.

Well, I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I think that means your phone sucks.

Well it's a normal phone, not some "50 in 1" gadget. I just wanted to say that imo dropdown menus isn't a good idea.

I don't quite understand what a "normal" phone is. If you mean, "not a smart phone", then I don't know what the appeal of using a screen the size of one of my fingernails to surf the internet. Also, sorry if I sound like a jerk, I don't mean to, but after this many pages of baseless claims I'm starting to lose it a bit. Also, to that guy with the android phone with the spinny wheel. From what I've seen, the all touch screen devices all handle it the same, if you click on it, it pops up with a box with the content of the drop down menus there, while graying out the background, like what happens when you click the login button.

megamalog said:
Dragon_Empress said:
I've read about fifty pages of these comments, complaints and approvals. And there's one thing that I have to find ironically amusing about all this. I love... how the majority seem to think that Xinil actually 'cares' about our opinion.

haha i was thinkin the same thing

you know new layouts always suck when they first come out. its just cuz ur not used to it.
i think if everyone just gives it some time theyll come to love it, cuz its really not bad

So, Xinil saying that he'd wanted to change it for a while, he also mentioned at some point, that even without that Crave, the company that owns MAL wanted him to make the change, it's not Xinil you have to convince to get you, in my opinion, inferior layout back, it's the guys at Crave who are responsible, my guess, some very high level guys, who....honestly, couldn't give two shits about whether people keep using MAL or not. This whole thread has really been raging at the wrong person, and now that there are people that have managed to get a theme made that gets your god-granted sidebar back, I don't know what the hell we're all still arguing about.

I know that I sound like a jerk and a jack-ass, but seriously, the layout of a website changed, big freakin' deal, if it's managed to get you that seriously bent out of shape then I can only assume that there are bigger problems in your life that you should be paying some more attention too.

Jan 15, 2010 4:19 PM

Loxaris said:
I would have preferred a lot to see the double MM bug fixed. Or the 65534 messages one. Or the spoiler tag not center with ANY browser other than IE (and not even in InPrivate Browsing). Or the club invitation counter. And the list could go on.
Really, the timing to do this was very bad imo.
totally agree

all this time they were preparing to release a new layout when they could've been working out some of the bugs/glitches that happen on MAL (not unlike the ones Loxaris brought up)

also, since this one came out. i haven't been able to change my picture
it says allow up to 30 mins for the picture change but hello! nothing's happening
i made sure the new image was smaller than 225x350 and it was a png file

careohx said:
on a site like mal ppl click a lot and its not really practical , convinient at all
i agree with this as well.
we DO click a lot. dropdowns are very inconvenient in this way

i agree that old view was much easier to navigate

so the solution i had previously brought up before
we should have a toggle button to switch between old view and new view

those who like old view with can view MAL with old view
those who don't mind this new one will be able to view MAL with the new layout

Jan 15, 2010 4:55 PM
I must add here that such autocratic, insensitive moves on such a big community are the result of the fact mal is largely a monopoly. Well, you can do lists on anidb too and probably elsewhere, but that site looks so boringly 90s.

mal's advantage was its 2.0 web looks, its sleek and rather clean design. Its packaging of data that is mostly taken from other heavy players on the market like ann and anidb. No original content (other than a rather failed little project called 'rewrite mal'), nothing new in itself, just the shiny package.

Now if the package's full of holes and you just put another wrapping around it to try and hide its miserable state, doesn't that say something?

Someone should break this site's monopoly. Is that really so difficult? XD

Jan 15, 2010 5:06 PM

It kind of reminds me of classic GameFAQs now. I liked the sidebar better, but w/e.

Jan 15, 2010 5:10 PM

Oh oh btw, MAL now looks like ANIHUB(AH, also made the same layout like FB. makes me sick) .___. pfft :(( !

Mai; Inactive. Ta-tah!

Jan 15, 2010 5:11 PM

Despite the usual problems in MAL, the new layout seems to make surfing the site MUCH slower, and it also seems to take bandwidth away from my other computers whenever I load an MAL page.

I don't mind if the layout is changed, but at least make sure it's not overcharged, or makes it more difficult to surf around, please =/

Jan 15, 2010 5:12 PM

I was just logging in after a week's break and what do I see? A HUGE logo taking up half my screen! This isn't exactly user friendly for a database/listing site, I preferred the minimalist design to keep everything on one screen without having to scroll all the way back up, mouse-hovering something, going down that list and finally clicking to get somewhere. WAY too much scrolling now. Keep it as it was, please, navigation along the left, small search/logo along the top and everything else in between.

The 'in between' parts (news list layout, latest updates layout, character layout etc.) I think needed a bit of reorganising and styling but that hasn't changed! Everything else seems to have though.

As the old saying goes: If it's not broken, don't fix it.

That's just my opinion, it's your site, do whatever.

Jan 15, 2010 5:14 PM

qtcider said:
pedosensei said:

What's the point?

It's not a Greasemonkey script. It is CSS.

Also, for something that's browser dependent, it's funny that it says "Tested with Firefox, Chrome and Opera".

It works on firefox to an 'extent' but in browsers NOT heavily dependant on so many restrictions (i know this FOR A FACT I AM A WEB DESIGNER SO DONT START) it is a mess. I run a website myself that was, for a LONG time, FF incompatible and is doing EXACTLY what this website is doing to me now. FF has many restrictions in coding and freedom of coding that IE and some other related browsers DON'T have.

To restrict all this coding and make it ALL css is NOT a bad idea but they should have had a restricted testing server or something (much like myself) to view this in ALL modern browsers INCLUDING the absolutely despised IE, because some browsers actually run off the IE base but have everything IE shoulda had (Try AVANT browser for an example of said type of browsers). Infact, it won't work with some of my browsers at all, it draws BLANK pages with the top graphics.

My opinion: Don't ditch the CSS coding but please, make it a little more compatible with those of us who aren't obsessed with FireFox or Opera. Just simple alignment fixes and less confusion with navigation can make all the difference. I do not bash this new style, the sleek look is inviting but I must say your functionality leaves me wishing for more.

Just my suggestion and input, so don't start a flame war over opinions since there are immature people here.

Jan 15, 2010 5:22 PM

i hve no idea how it works but how about having a choice between the old and the new layout... like people can go to Settings and change it so not alot of people would complain.. i dunno if thats possible but if anyone's been to Yahoo Mail its kinda like that (i think so anyway..) you can change it back to the old layout.. you can also maybe put choices of your theme colour as well ^^

Jan 15, 2010 5:29 PM

DeusExMachina said:
Most people still seem to prefer the old layout. Nothing's going to come from that?

It would seem so. Not quite sure why that is mind you.

N1nj4br34dm4n said:
now that there are people that have managed to get a theme made that gets your god-granted sidebar back, I don't know what the hell we're all still arguing about.

Just because there's a way AROUND a problem, doesn't mean that the problem isn't still there. Sure people have managed to bring back the old layout with a custom .css and an addon, but that doesn't change the fact that so many people want the old layout back. Not all of them are going to do this 'fix' to get it back, and it shouldn't be up to the users to 'fix' the site which was changed without any user-input.

Jan 15, 2010 6:58 PM

N1nj4br34dm4n said:
I know that I sound like a jerk and a jack-ass, but seriously, the layout of a website changed, big freakin' deal, if it's managed to get you that seriously bent out of shape then I can only assume that there are bigger problems in your life that you should be paying some more attention too.

One of the oldest (and gayest) arguments on the internet is that the other guy is a loser for caring about something. The new layout isn't that bad but I still have to call bullshit on this. How much time have YOU spent arguing in this thread now?

Jan 15, 2010 8:19 PM

Haru_chan said:
i hve no idea how it works but how about having a choice between the old and the new layout... like people can go to Settings and change it so not alot of people would complain.. i dunno if thats possible but if anyone's been to Yahoo Mail its kinda like that (i think so anyway..) you can change it back to the old layout.. you can also maybe put choices of your theme colour as well ^^

It's definitely possible to offer such an option, but its up to them to set it up that way. I prefer the old format, and I hate it when I'm forced to go from superior layout to an inferior layout.

Jan 15, 2010 9:08 PM

kuroshiroi said:

Missytalker said:
This lags.
Let me guess? Internet Explorer? That's the only browser that "lags" on my computer. If I'm right, please don't use it anymore. Chrome/Opera/Firefox are your friends.

Nope. I use Firefox. :)

But thank you!

Jan 15, 2010 11:16 PM

i like the old one!!!

Jan 15, 2010 11:33 PM

Riina said:
It works on firefox to an 'extent' but in browsers NOT heavily dependant on so many restrictions (i know this FOR A FACT I AM A WEB DESIGNER SO DONT START) it is a mess. I run a website myself that was, for a LONG time, FF incompatible and is doing EXACTLY what this website is doing to me now. FF has many restrictions in coding and freedom of coding that IE and some other related browsers DON'T have.

This paragraph doesn't make any sense. What "restrictions" does Firefox have? What is this website doing to you now?

To restrict all this coding and make it ALL css is NOT a bad idea

What does "restrict all this coding" mean? You can't make a website "all CSS". A website is part HTML and part CSS. CSS is useless without HTML.

but they should have had a restricted testing server or something (much like myself) to view this in ALL modern browsers INCLUDING the absolutely despised IE, because some browsers actually run off the IE base but have everything IE shoulda had (Try AVANT browser for an example of said type of browsers). Infact, it won't work with some of my browsers at all, it draws BLANK pages with the top graphics.

Testing a website in multiple browsers is not an advanced concept. About the "restricted testing server", presumably this new layout did not manifest itself instantly and had to be developed and tested on a server.

My opinion: Don't ditch the CSS coding but please, make it a little more compatible with those of us who aren't obsessed with FireFox or Opera. Just simple alignment fixes and less confusion with navigation can make all the difference.

Obsessed? I think your main problem is that there are some compatibility issues with certain browsers. If so, this is a very unnecessarily long and winding post for such a simple and common issue in web design. You would be better off simply pointing out the issues instead of going on a tangent about browsers.

By the way, my post that you replied to was only referring to the sidebar CSS linked earlier. I assume that your post is about MAL's design.

Jan 16, 2010 12:14 AM

qtcider said:
Riina said:

This paragraph doesn't make any sense. What "restrictions" does Firefox have? What is this website doing to you now?

I think what he/she is trying to say is that Firefox follows web standards strictly and IE does not. Thus you could code shitty and it would still look relatively well in IE since IE has no idea how to correctly interpreted code. Firefox and Safari on the other hand would break easier if you didn't use proper code. But then again if you use proper code sometimes IE breaks because of it's limitations so web developers are forced to make hacks or just do redundant code.

IE is a PoS for web developers to deal with but since the majority of retards still use it we developers are forced to still make our sites look "good" in it.

A bit off topic but Xinil could easily create a css file theme chooser that would bring the left nav back then set a cookie so the nav stays there while your logged in using php. Why he doesn't just do this to please everyone is beyond me. When you have 90% of your site audience shouting that they thing the site changes look horrible I think it's a good cue that something needs to be corrected. It may be true that in a month or two people will just accept the new layout but I still think a large majority wont.

Jan 16, 2010 12:27 AM

Looks kinda messed on my laptop-.-"
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL

Jan 16, 2010 1:21 AM

dont like it, i miss old one :(

Jan 16, 2010 2:45 AM

The new layout looks neater, but I still prefer the old one.

Jan 16, 2010 3:18 AM

xbandaidx said:
Haru_chan said:

It's definitely possible to offer such an option, but its up to them to set it up that way. I prefer the old format, and I hate it when I'm forced to go from superior layout to an inferior layout.

haha i agree with you, i still prefer the old one and i was just suggesting anyway ^^

Jan 16, 2010 5:05 AM

I did not see this till today (I guess I am blind).

On the old layout whenever I entered a name into the search box, I always had to hit "Enter" (On my keyboard).
But now there is a "Search" button to press.

Nice addition :).

I was opposed to this, but I guess I am getting use to it.
Though I believe having the navigation on the left was still more "efficient".
I like being able to see everything, all at once.
I suppose anything can grow on you.

If offering an option of having the old & new layout is too much work.
How about an option , where both have the "new" layout. But one will have the navigation bars on the side?

Or some kind of compromise? Take both & combine them in some way?
Or some new idea? From anyone out there?
(Too early in the morning for me to think of anything crafty...)

Instead of us just flaming this guy. And each other.
Try and make some progress rather than continually pointing our hate's/like's, and what each of us/the person your flaming does/does not know?

Do something constructive with the OVER 9000 POST.

:)
Modified by FateEntity, Jan 16, 2010 5:11 AM

Jan 16, 2010 5:10 AM

I'm not sure how this new layout is supposed to have 'More space' to it. There are two giant areas of white on either side of my MAL pages now, which the old layout didn't have for me. If anything I've lost space, as pages are now 'thinner' so to speak. It could just be my resolution...

Jan 16, 2010 5:11 AM
Didnt like it at first but i got used to it, its not that bad.

Jan 16, 2010 5:31 AM
Fujoshit

I liked the old layout D:

This one is just confusing and hard to navigate. I couldn't figure out where most things were until the second or third time.

I wish the old layout was back D:

Jan 16, 2010 5:36 AM

I can always adapt to new designs and layouts, and adapt really fast.
When I entered Mal after the change, I said - Wow. I think it looks great. I have no problems whatsoever with navigation, updating lists and etc. Take your time to get used to it, it's really nice.

Jan 16, 2010 5:42 AM
For me the important is that bugs are fixed and features improved.

Pages (36) « First ... « 28 29 [30] 31 32 » ... Last »