Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 7, 2016 6:54 PM
Dec 2009
Probably the best spy story of the series so far, I really got sucked into it. I was on the fence about whether he was going to escape or get killed... glad he got free. I do agree with other commenters that it's hard to know who exactly is showing up in every episode though... it's basically just a random guy each time, as far as I'm concerned.

yuliyana29 said:
ya alien-like geezer

HAHA, seriously that was a weird choice for character design. I guess they wanted to make him as scary as possible?
May 8, 2016 12:02 AM
May 8, 2016 10:19 PM

Nov 2015
This episodd just made me forget about the last trashy episode

May 9, 2016 12:36 AM

Dec 2012
Excellent episode, the examination was very serious and tense. Yuuki is incredible and this episode showed how he is sure about the quality of his spies.
May 9, 2016 4:17 AM

Mar 2008
"Sleeper spy" I liked this a lot. Great episode.
May 9, 2016 4:19 AM

Mar 2008
ibraheem234 said:
Good Episode… but with all these characters it is sometimes confusing which spy is playing the lead in an episode

You're right, I can understand it thanks to seiyuus only. THis episode was Kimura Ryouhei.
May 9, 2016 10:20 AM
Feb 2014
Still waiting some mission gone fubar here..(is it possible while d-agency under almighty yuuki here?), this episodic "spy/case of the week" formula is kind of boring *yawn*
NonStopRoadMay 9, 2016 10:27 AM
May 9, 2016 6:05 PM

Apr 2015
Interesting episode. Splitting your conciousness in different levels seems really hard.
May 9, 2016 6:45 PM

May 2011
This episode starts in a goofy and yet dramatically overblown fashion. Which counter spying agent would arrest someone and drop these lines "I spy you. You're under arrest for spying"? It's as if an inspector says to a murderer "I spot you. You are under arrest for killing". However, it catches up thanks to a tense narrative which is well put over by a succession of close-ups. It overall conveys a claustrophobic sentiment that makes us feel uneasy for Kaminaga.
This episode is considerably better written as it really looks like a legit spy story. We are very far from the "hey, let's use that old woman to tally the resistance" drivel of the third episode. Besides, it did great at showing cracks on Kaminaga's composure all while selling him as a resourceful spy in spite of overwhelming odds against him. All in all, a well balanced episode whose stakes deserves better underlining than the infodump at the end but oh well, there's nothing that can be done about this flawed format of storytelling :/

I am definitely looking forward for more...
sorceryMay 9, 2016 7:03 PM
May 10, 2016 5:08 PM

May 2016
We saw you had a problem with simular character design, so we present you giant forehead guy.

This episode was much better than last week's episode and was based around a topic that I'm really interested.

It shows the struggles of the characters and how they got around it with a nice atmosphere. Sadly it still has plot points that no one could actually assume unless you were actually one of these spies with which brings it down for me, and seems to be a problem with this whole show in general. Also it still has the problem of bot giving us enough info to tell the spies apart, but I'm not as bothered by it cause I think of all the detectives as one character.

This was an okay episode. :)
May 11, 2016 8:36 PM
Apr 2014
Mascera said:

Damn that man is creepy as hell.
I'm pretty much curious about how the truth serum works. But it seems like a brain-washing method or something like that. And he got lucky for not getting detected in that room.

I don't know about this in particular, but there is a drug called devil's breath which might have similar effects.
May 16, 2016 2:08 PM

Dec 2015
The ambiance was great again, the story interesting and could have been thrilling. But the way it is done, it always seems so compacted, especially thanks to the "reading" of a good part of the intrigue (at the end we are always told what was going on instead of actually watching it)
I'm sure all those stories would benefit a lot of a double episode.

5/5

MayaReinhartz said:
This was pretty much the movie's scene all over again. Different characters and location but near identical execution and dialogue... Which does make me wonder if that also happens in the novel..

So, the settings were different for the same story adapted in two different formats? Did anyone read the novel or at least this short story to know what was the best retranscription?

firebound12 said:
hey maybe Howard Marks is a tribute to Mark Twain?

I thought it was a reference to the eponymous big english crook who claimed he was working for the british governement.
May 21, 2016 1:08 PM
Mar 2015

That is one gaunt as hell motherfucker, Jesus Christ
May 24, 2016 9:20 AM

Jul 2015
On behalf of every British guy like myself i just want to say that our foreheads aren't that big haha thy always have to make the British characters ugly af why dey do dis haha

Anyway awesome episode i just love the setting and the episodic nature of it and its never boring as brilliant visuals are prominent and the narrative is always hooking love this series
May 24, 2016 8:23 PM

Aug 2009
Flawfinder said:
juicykitten95 said:

i dont think we are supposed to care for the spy,he is a spy so his origins are irrelevant

what this series is trying to achieve is to get the viewers to think "oh this was some pretty cool spy stuff" , nothing more and nothing less

In real life maybe. But in fiction, you ARE supposed to try to make the audience care for the spy. Otherwise, how am I going to care for the spy stuff? You think John Le Carre got popular because his protagonists were all a bunch of plot devices in his spy thrillers?

Not necessarily
You don't need to develop characters to deliver a good story.
May 28, 2016 6:46 AM

Nov 2011
Part of the climb to complete Joker Game, Yay!

Arrived at this point, it seems reasonable to assume that the anime series will go forward to the sound of self-contained episodes, I have no problem if that were true, just that they're all compelling and well-scripted, these requirements were satisfied in this episode. Great atmosphere, about the scenery and the soundtrack. Drawings and animations, very good, it would not hurt, however, have a background story, maybe there is are we viewers not to notice.

Mascera said:

Damn that man is creepy as hell.

Jun 11, 2016 10:08 AM

Feb 2013
All part of the plan (getting captured)... all to cause some infighting between agencies of the same country.

Average episode.
Jul 1, 2016 7:15 AM

Mar 2015
Nice episode, goes to show that not all spies are perfect and getting caught just all out sucks. Was also fun to see him escape.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 13, 2016 6:21 AM
Mar 2012
wow lightbulbman.
What a weird but useful political purpose to nearly expose two valuable spies, forcing foreign affairs listen to the army.
Storytelling is so engrossing, detail animation, hot Friday voice, how Robinson fits together, this London noir feel.
Jul 25, 2016 10:36 PM

Oct 2008
that was an easy escape, british spymaster isn't really that difficult...
3/5.

Aug 3, 2016 1:00 PM

May 2012
Quite the interesting episode, let's see what's next.
Aug 29, 2016 4:54 AM

Feb 2013
I thought he was done for when he reached that wall.
May 23, 2017 11:46 PM

Dec 2012
Holy shit! His head! WTF!
Dat knockout. How did he fall for that? lol

Another good episode.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Aug 17, 2019 7:31 AM

Jul 2016
Mike_McFly said:
Flawfinder said:

In real life maybe. But in fiction, you ARE supposed to try to make the audience care for the spy. Otherwise, how am I going to care for the spy stuff? You think John Le Carre got popular because his protagonists were all a bunch of plot devices in his spy thrillers?

Not necessarily
You don't need to develop characters to deliver a good story.

Very very true and something people need to realise moving forward.
Apr 7, 2020 11:33 PM

Aug 2017
youthful said:
I don't mind needles irl. In fiction they're so scary, probably bc they're mostly used for evil intentions.
I still call it torture, ya alien-like geezer; it's just less pain in the ass to use serum on the boy.

danieltortoisee said:
Massive improvement on last week's episode. Actually felt tense this time, even though I still have no ida which spy this episode just followed. What was with the spymaster's head though? That was just downright bizarre.

Kaminaga. Next episode is reserved for Tazaki.

thanks for the info, this way I won't be too confuse with the MC's.
I know am a bit late but this lockdown makes me catch up my PTW.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» novel license

theek1 - Jul 12, 2022

1 by NemuriNezumi »»
Jan 14, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2016

347 by Samir1237 »»
Apr 22, 2023 7:21 PM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2016

154 by canadianvice »»
Oct 28, 2022 4:17 PM

» Why such low score ?

Shomix - May 21, 2016

22 by ina6_- »»
Jul 9, 2022 8:13 AM

Poll: » Joker Game Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2016

207 by metawin »»
Aug 6, 2021 9:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.