Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 1, 2016 5:59 PM

Aug 2015
at my high school, my choir teacher told us about an opportunity that one of the nearby states' university directors is offering; they're preparing a choir trip to Europe, and there are 4 spots left, for $3000-$4000 (covering all payments aside from meals, i believe)

but im nervous as hell about the preparation, everything that could go wrong if i went, and the fact that id be one of the only high school kids there in a group of university students; plus im nervous about the music id be learning if i did go, and how much of a fool id make myself look like if i didnt properly learn it

should i take a huge risk, and just go for it, and whatever happens, happens? or continue hiding inside my shell? ive always lacked self-confidence, and im scared that if i blew it in front of a UNIVERSITY DIRECTOR, id blow it altogether, permanently; but then again this is the chance of a lifetime, so mal, please, help me decide

and rather than giving me a troll answer, please, i beg of you, give me an honest answer; its all i need right now
May 1, 2016 6:04 PM

Dec 2014
What risk? I highly doubt it's your $3000 - $4000. And anyone willing to supply that money believes in you, so you should believe in you too.
May 1, 2016 6:05 PM

Aug 2015
MidnightKYS said:
What risk? I highly doubt it's your $3000 - $4000. And anyone willing to supply that money believes in you, so you should believe in you too.
i have the money, thats not my main worry, its just that im worried that, like i said, id blow it in front of a well-esteemed director whos also a composer, combined with the fact that i wouldnt know anyone there
May 1, 2016 6:07 PM

May 2013
just go for it. once you go, there's no turning back. the worst thing that can happen in a situation like that is if you just freak out and try to bail. Other then that, it will just be a positive experience, you should do it! :D
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 1, 2016 6:09 PM
Mar 2016
here's what you do:

-give up choir
-become filled with regret
-drink yourself into oblivion over said regret
-???
-PROFIT!
May 1, 2016 6:10 PM

Dec 2014
coreynj said:
MidnightKYS said:
i have the money, thats not my main worry, its just that im worried that, like i said, id blow it in front of a well-esteemed director whos also a composer, combined with the fact that i wouldnt know anyone there

You'll never forgive yourself if you turn down this opportunity for that reason, especially if it's your passion. I'd be on the first thing smoking over there. I know it's cliche, but my motto is: "If I fail, it won't be for lack of trying." I live by that code. Take my advice.
May 1, 2016 6:10 PM

Aug 2015
Alcoholic-san said:
here's what you do:

-give up choir
-???
-PROFIT!
so basically, you're saying, that if i dont take the risk, ill regret it forever
May 1, 2016 6:11 PM

Apr 2015
Just do it!
Come visit the Netherlands :3
May 1, 2016 6:12 PM

Apr 2015
Honestly the money should be your biggest problem as well as your ability to be in the choir. If you have the money and you think you could keep up with the university students then sure, go, it'd be fun and I'd go if I fit those two requirements.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
May 1, 2016 6:15 PM

Aug 2015
Cookies said:
Honestly the money should be your biggest problem as well as your ability to be in the choir. If you have the money and you think you could keep up with the university students then sure, go, it'd be fun and I'd go if I fit those two requirements.
i believe i definitely have the ability; i am in the top choir in my school, after all; but its a combination of the fact that... well, in middle school, when we learned to read sheet music, i never actually learned that, so in class i basically just follow suit until ive got the music down, and then i begin to lead; so basically, if i was to go on this trip the first thing on my agenda would be to learn music all over again

oh, its also the fact that i have TERRIBLY bad stage fright, i cant stand singing a solo, i get nervous as hell and begin shaking
May 1, 2016 6:18 PM
Mar 2016
coreynj said:
Alcoholic-san said:
here's what you do:

-give up choir
-???
-PROFIT!
so basically, you're saying, that if i dont take the risk, ill regret it forever
yeah, basically. go ahead and do it.
May 1, 2016 6:19 PM

Apr 2015
coreynj said:
Cookies said:
i believe i definitely have the ability; i am in the top choir in my school, after all; but its a combination of the fact that... well, in middle school, when we learned to read sheet music, i never actually learned that, so in class i basically just follow suit until ive got the music down, and then i begin to lead; so basically, if i was to go on this trip the first thing on my agenda would be to learn music all over again

oh, its also the fact that i have TERRIBLY bad stage fright, i cant stand singing a solo, i get nervous as hell and begin shaking
Chances are that if you're the lead at your school you'd easily be able to fit in with the university students although you probably wouldn't be a lead or have to solo there so there's no need to worry about stage fright considering the people you're with. If money isn't a problem then I'd definitely go on it if I were in your position, it'd probably be a great experience.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
May 1, 2016 6:21 PM

Aug 2015
Cookies said:
coreynj said:

Chances are that if you're the lead at your school you'd easily be able to fit in with the university students although you probably wouldn't be a lead or have to solo there so there's no need to worry about stage fright considering the people you're with. If money isn't a problem then I'd definitely go on it if I were in your position, it'd probably be a great experience.
yeah, but another problem would be our musical blend; their voices would all sound fairly mature, and mine still has a little ways to go, so id stick out a bit more than everyone else, and thatd ruin the blend
May 1, 2016 6:22 PM

Apr 2015
coreynj said:
Cookies said:
yeah, but another problem would be our musical blend; their voices would all sound fairly mature, and mine still has a little ways to go, so id stick out a bit more than everyone else, and thatd ruin the blend
Trust me, at the stage you've said that you're at I doubt that would be a major problem, it might not even be a problem at all, there's really nothing stopping you from going because I doubt that that's a reason to decide to not go on the trip over.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
May 1, 2016 6:23 PM

Aug 2015
Cookies said:
coreynj said:
Trust me, at the stage you've said that you're at I doubt that would be a major problem, it might not even be a problem at all, there's really nothing stopping you from going because I doubt that that's a reason to decide to not go on the trip over.
you're right, i need to start having more faith in myself; i wish it was easier to just break out of my protective shell, but i guess ill need to start just slowly chipping away at it. you know what they say, the first step to fixing a problem is admitting that you have one.

a year ago in highschool, i had this speech in english class, and i was freaking out over it. i asked my friend to give me a sort of... peptalk, i guess? and what he said is still valuable to me today. he said "Corey, you can't do it. You're worthless. Now go out there and prove me wrong.", and surprisingly, i did the best in my class. what i really need right now is someone to tell me i cant do it, since it seems proving people wrong is what i excell at, haha.
coreynjMay 1, 2016 6:32 PM
May 1, 2016 6:41 PM

Jan 2015
Listen here mate, you're a worthless piece of shit that won't ever fulfill your dreams. If you prove me wrong and actually succeed in life, I'll go and cure cancer.

CAN YOU PROVE ME WRONG MOTHER FUCKER?

DON'T YOU WANT CANCER TO BE CURED YOU CUM GUZZLING ASSHOLE?
May 1, 2016 6:47 PM

Aug 2015
ModeratelyHuman said:
Listen here mate, you're a worthless piece of shit that won't ever fulfill your dreams. If you prove me wrong and actually succeed in life, I'll go and cure cancer.

CAN YOU PROVE ME WRONG MOTHER FUCKER?

DON'T YOU WANT CANCER TO BE CURED YOU CUM GUZZLING ASSHOLE?
jesus, thats taking it a bit far; all i really need right now is someone to believe in me, so hopefully i can turn that proving people wrong.. into proving people right (right for believing in me, not that im worthless, lol)
May 1, 2016 7:38 PM

Jul 2012
tl;dr so sorry bout that

there is only one question here: can u afford it.

if you can, whether it goes horribly or is amazing, it will be worth it

i was a choir nerd too (not at your level) and would have killed for that chance. remove yourself from your emotional constrictions and go do it

another edit: if its not about the money. GO FUCKING DO IT
Kewpie_dollMay 1, 2016 7:42 PM
May 1, 2016 8:45 PM

Sep 2014
If I was me, I wouldn't go because I know life isn't some perfect anime show that if I just try hard enough, I'll get through it. If you're not the type of person that can get along with people in a fast rate, you'll most likely be spending your time alone, especially since they're already University students and already have their friends and duties. Granted, they're not High shcoolers so the cliques aren't as tight as a full blown circle jerk like in high school, but they still have their own priorities.

But hey, I have a pessimistic personality anyways, so maybe I'm biased as hell and you'll actually enjoy it. I'm also cheap as fuck and could buy a car with that money.
May 1, 2016 9:07 PM
Jul 2018
Speaking as a fellow amateur musician... I think you should just go for it. Like you said 'its the chance of a lifetime'.

Firstly, you're performing ensemble not solo, so the focus of everyone is not going to be solely on you. Playing ensemble, you can potentially hide behind everyone else if you are really not sure what you're doing.

Also, rather than being nervous about the fact you're with older people and a university director, see it as your opportunity to grow. No one is going to expect you to be perfect, you're young and still learning and they're going to understand that. You can pick up so much from more experienced musicians and it sounds like a great opportunity. The music world is also all about connections. The more people you meet (especially important people like a university director) give you more exposure. People know who you are and you may get other opportunities to do cool stuff through that. You could also get connections to that uni so might help you if you want to do courses through there.

And come on... it's a europe tour. You'll visit the birth places of all the famous composers, the countries in europe are just generally amazing for food, culture and architecture, and it'll give you heaps of amazing experiences. If you want to go somewhere in music... putting you toured with a choir in europe on your resume is gon look pretty good.

Rather than being worried about lack of confidence, this will probably also be a good opportunity to help you gain more confidence as well. You'll get pretty close to the other people on the tour despite age differences just cause of shared experiences, having to spend a lot of time together etc.

And honestly... you're worried about what will happen if you don't learn the music properly? Simple solution... learn it properly (=_=) If you really want to go, then practising the music shouldn't be too painful an experience... just practice it. Simple. Get someone to help you if it's that hard. Asking for help and how you can improve isn't something to be embarrassed about... people like it when you show interest and want to get better

TL;DR you're reasons for not doing it is pointless worrying. Go for it or you'll regret it.
May 2, 2016 1:49 AM

Jun 2013
Do it!!! This is a very good opportunity to get some new and awesome memories. Trust me this will be fun. I went abroad too and was frightened as hell, but in the end it was the best thing I could do and best experience in my life.
May 2, 2016 4:44 AM

May 2013
I'm a pretty indecisive person, quite a coward, and often worry about what could go wrong if I chose to do this or that. Therefore I not feel right to say stuff like "Do it!" However, let me share a method that might can help decide.
Well, not like it's something uber, but IMO, it can be quite a big help, at least for me at times.

If you have two possible choices, say 'A' and 'B'
Took a coin, say Head: A Tail: B (or the otherwise.)
Flip the coin. It will land A or B (likely at least). That is the thing the coin says. It very likely will make you feel some way regarding that.
For example, let's say, coin landed A. the most likely feelings are something like;
1.) "Great! I'll do 'A' then!" - In this case, you have your answer (which is 'A').
2.) "Aww... why it didn't landed 'B' instead...?" - In this case, you also have your answer (which is 'B'). That is, you don't have to accept what the coin says, it's just to make you feel this or that way to help you decide.
May 2, 2016 5:04 AM

Jun 2015
coreynj said:
Alcoholic-san said:
here's what you do:

-give up choir
-???
-PROFIT!

Better live and regret than not live at all. That's life, at least that's what experience tells me. Besides, most of the time, the benefits outweigh the risks in most scenarios
May 2, 2016 5:12 AM

Oct 2007
I pretty much second everything @TheRealPhi said. You may be feeling nervous and not very confident, but just being able to get a spot shows that you have some ability and people will recognize that. If more is expected of you and for any reason, you can't deliver, at least you will know what to work on.

Being out of your comfort zone will help you learn some confidence as well which you could need if you want to continue doing music professionally in the future and if not, it'll help you in any other endeavor anyway.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
May 2, 2016 6:26 AM

May 2014
Sure get offered a once in a lifetime opportunity and decline it, sounds like something a Mal user would do.

Listen, be better than us, take the chance, whats the alternative? Doing what you always do? Cause thats boring af.
I've been here way too long...

More topics from this board

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Apr 19

25 by Noboru »»
3 minutes ago

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

27 by Noboru »»
7 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - 20 minutes ago

0 by Absurdo_N »»
20 minutes ago

» I got spooked by a water bottle

tsukareru - 3 hours ago

7 by Rhaelynne »»
22 minutes ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

40 by Archean-Return »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.